Leave it to a true creative master to show you how it’s done. Robert Bassler, 80 years old from Northridge, CA , is a professional multimedia artist and an avid Mixbooker. Robert has used Mixbook photo books to create various portfolios to chronicle is artistic journey with sculptures, oil paintings, and more. He is a true testament to the ease of Mixbook’s editing software. Creating memorable projects that tell stories is our heart and soul here at Mixbook and Robert’s set of photo book portfolios are inspiring projects for any individual looking to showcase their work in an unforgettable way. Lucky for us, he gracefully shared his top tips to create a stunning portfolio.
1. Carefully select the color and texture of the cover, along with the desired image and typeface.
2. Select the desired the background for each chapter or for the entire book.
Avoid a distracting color or pattern for the background…it should support your images, not compete with them.
3. Carefully compose each single photo on the page – use the background as a surround. Do not max photos to the edge of the page, and leave space between multiple images.
4. Vary photo sizes, from a large single on the page to several composed as a related group of the same or different sizes.
5. When presenting several on the page, be creative, but not too tricky.
6. Treat text boxes as a part of the total composition when interacting with photos, or, when full page, use the same border measurement as the photo pages. Do not crowd it, make it as easy as possible to read.
When creating a portfolio, it’s an extension of yourself and the talent you have in your craft. Take the opportunity to translate your creativity into your Mixbook project. Pick photos/artworks that really get you excited. You want to showcase your best work in a portfolio!
Robert chose to create a custom photo book with our Blank Canvas option, but Mixbook also offers portfolio themes as well.
Ready to start on your own work of art? Browse our themes here!