BC: Historic photos courtesy of William Dubois and Martha Mullikin Text and historic details by William Dubois Photography by Wendy Douglass Layout and creative services by Wendy Douglass and Wanda Wade Photo book by Mixbook.com Thanks to Laramie County Master Gardeners for the "2009 Garden Walk" and support for this project Dedicated to Cheyenne's 100-year-old cottonwood trees
FC: THE DUBOIS BLOCK: THEN AND NOW Laramie County Master Gardener 2009 Garden Walk Cheyenne, Wyoming July 12, 2009
1: The Laramie County Master Gardeners selected the gardens of Block 2 of Park Addition in central Cheyenne for their 2009 Garden Walk. This block is between Pershing Ave on the north, Randall Avenue/32nd Street on the south, Dey Avenue on the east and Cribbon Avenue on the west. The block has seven homes and six of their gardens were featured on the Garden Walk, as well as one of Cheyenne's pocket parks--the Buffalo Soldier Park, across the street to the southwest. The entire block was purchased in 1909 by William R. Dubois, Sr., He built his new home that year at what is now 1222 West 32nd Street, on lots 9, 10 and part of 11. This landmark home celebrated its 100th anniversary during the 2009 Garden Walk.
2: Dubois came to Cheyenne as the supervising architect of the new Carnegie Library being built on the corner of Capitol Avenue and 22nd Street. He was pursuaded by the owner of the plumbing firm, P.S. Cook, to remain in Cheyenne. He fell in love with Dora F. Slack, daughter of the owner of the newspaper, the Cheyenne Daily Sun Leader. | 1909 | 1922 | 2009
3: Dora's father, E.A. Slack, was prominent in the affairs of the community and was considered to be one of the founders of Cheyenne Frontier Days. His mother, Esther Hobart Morris, was known as the "Mother of Women's Suffrage" and distinguished herself as the first female Justice of the Peace in the United States. | 1222 West 32nd Street | 1922
4: Dubois designed the home on 32nd Street in a modified Prairie Style. The east windows were placed high so he could put his grand piano along that wall. The entire block was his garden and because he loved flowers and plants, the area was quite a sight in the summertime. Gardening, photography and playing the piano and organ were his favorite hobbies. His photographs provided a good insight into himself and the block he started.
5: Dubois went on to become the first licensed architect in Wyoming who designed many of the buildings in downtown Cheyenne, including the Plains Hotel, the wings of the State Capitol and the Supreme Court Building, many schools and six buildings on the University of Wyoming campus.
6: William and Dora moved into their new home with three children--W. Robert, Jr., Berthe, and George. Dora, another daughter, was born in 1917 and the 5th child, Edward was born in 1925. Mrs. Dora Dubois was killed in a train-car accident at 23rd Street and Snyder Avenue in 1938. Young Dora finished her college work and returned to live with and care for her father until his death in 1953, when she inherited the home. She remained there until she built a new home next door on Cribbon Avenue.
7: She sold the family home to Clark and Ann Smith in July 1962. The Smiths added the back bedroom upstairs, turned one of the garages into a small family room, and made the east windows into huge picture windows to show off the garden from the living room. In time, a breakfast sun room was added to the east side; the original breakfast room became the kitchen; the original kitchen became a main-floor laundry room. The Smiths and their children lived in the home until 1971. Records show Terrance Hanley as owner in 1971. Dr. Robert Farr, a Cheyenne veterinarian, purchased the home in September 1980 and lives there today. | 2009 | c.1930
8: In 1911, Dubois sold lot 13 and part of lot 12 to Wallace and Harriet Bond, an older sister of Mrs. Dora Dubois. They built the home at 1214 W. 32nd Street and lived there until 1926 when they went into the Foreign Service with the U.S. State Department. When they returned to Cheyenne, they built a Spanish Style home on the corner of 21st Street and House Avenue. Herbert N. and Carrie Boyd bought the home in 1926. After Herbert passed away, Carrie continued to live in the house until her death in 1967, when the property was purchased by Ronald Gibbons. In 1971 the property was sold to Dennis Richard; then a family named Ottoes lived there in the 1980s. In 1990, the home was owned by Mr. and Mrs. Donald Smith who sold it to Elizabeth Zerga in 1995. In 2000, the home was purchased by Margaret Lush who resides there today.
9: 1214 West 32nd Street | c.1940
12: 1206 West 32nd Street | Robert Clark, Jr., and his wife Margaret built the home at 1206 West 32nd Street in 1936. Instead of the modified Prairie Style of the others, it was built as a Tudor home. The Clarks lived with their two children, Edna and Robert II until 1949 when the family moved to the Washington, D.C. area, where Margaret, Edna and Robert and their families currently reside. There was a 30-foot space between the properties at 1214 and 1206, so it was decided to build a driveway in the space with access to both houses which remains today.
13: The Clarks sold the home to William and Betty Cook in 1949. The Cooks then sold the house to Dr. and Mrs. Charles Moore in 1960 and they sold it to Mr. and Mrs. Mark Fox in 1975. In 1982 the home was purchased by Dr. Jean and Sally Halpern and they live there today.
16: Dubois decided to give his children the lots on the north half of the block. First to build there in 1932 were George and his wife Jean, whose home was at 3220 Dey Avenue. George owned a storage and transfer company and at one time served as a city commissioner. Jean Nimmo Dubois was the first Miss Cheyenne Frontier Days in 1931. They had four children--Marie now lives in Sacramento, California; George, Jr., lives in Albuquerque, New Mexico; David lives in Fort Collins, Colorado; and Georjean lives in Denver, Colorado. The home was sold to Mr. and Mrs. Russell Zasadil in 1989 and then to Bernard Lindburg and Marcene Vanderhaar in 1993. Marcene resides there today. | 3220 Dey Avenue | c.1933
20: W. Robert and Elinor Dubois built their home at 1209 W. Pershing starting in 1939 and moved in February 1940. They raised their four children there--Jo now lives in Fort Collins, Colorado; Bill lives in Cheyenne; Tom lives in Maine and Susan lives in Portland, Oregon. | 1209 West Pershing
21: Elinor Dubois died in 1979 and W. Robert passed away in 1982. The home was then sold to Karl and Sarah Phefferle in 1983, who then sold it to Rich and Jackie Ryan in 1992. Rock and Carmen Patterson, the current owners, purchased the home in 2007. | c.1933
24: The seventh home on the block at 3221 Cribbon Avenue was built by Dora Dubois in 1961, on part of the property that housed a tennis court behind the original Dubois home. She lived there until her death in 1983. She loved to garden and planned the home so the living room windows would look out on her garden and flower beds. | 2009 | 1960 | c.1940
25: 3221 Cribbon Avenue | The home was purchased in 1984 from her estate by David and Martha Mullikin, a Master Gardener, who reside there today. Their large yard and garden is reminiscent of Dora's garden and was featured 20 years ago on the Laramie County Master Gardener 1989 Garden Tour.
28: In 1910, Dubois sold lot 16 and the east half of lot 15 to John D. Clark, who built the home at 1204 W. 32nd Street. Clark was a leading Cheyenne citizen who gained national recognition as an economic advisor to President Harry S. Truman. He and his wife Joyce raised their two sons Robert and John in this home. | 1204 West 32nd Street
29: In 1926 the Clarks sold the home to the Finkbiners and moved to a new brick home at 1100 Randall Avenue. Finkbiners were partners with Hobbs and Huckfeldts, owners of a furniture store and funeral parlor which later became known as Grier's Furniture. The Frank Clark family, a brother to John D. Clark, bought the home in 1941. Frank and his wife Minnie were later separated and Minnie lived in the home with her daughter Frances and son Frank, Jr.. Records show that the property was sold to Elmer and Deborah Lanzi in 1973. Other owners in the next few years were the Mercer Lowerys and the Dennis Ricards. Craig and Jackie Oceanak bought the home in 1981, and sold it to Susan Hover in 2001. Richard Francis, the present owner, purchased the home in 2007. | Randall Avenue became a "boulevard" as people took the shortest route to "The Fort" (Fort D.A. Russell). When it was made a city street, it did not run true east-west; as a result there are several pocket parks between Carey Avenue and the current entrance to F.E. Warren Air Force Base. South of the homes on 32nd Street is an area that became known as Cladubon Park after the original three homeowners (Clark-Dubois-Bond). This triangle park is now tended by the nearby homeowners.