Up to 50% Off! 50% Off Bestsellers + More! Code: MERRY19 Ends: 12/9 Details

  1. Help
Up to 50% Off! 50% Off Bestsellers + More! Code: MERRY19 Ends: 12/9 Details

Our Gillespie Family History

Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.

Our Gillespie Family History - Page Text Content

S: Gillespie

FC: Our Gillespie Family History | "Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow."

1: The Frank Lyman Gillespie & Elnora Blanch Lemmon Gillespie Family Elwood Lyman Gillespie (Died at 8 Days), 1 - Charles Hemphill Gillespie, 2 - Alvin Lafayette Gillespie, 3 - Joseph Bryan Gillespie, 4 - Lola Gillespie Smith, Mary Lola Gillespie (Died at 18 Mo.), Vera Gillespie (Died at Birth), 5 - Blanch Opal Gillespie Condie, 6 - Lois Ethel Gillespie, 7 - June Rae Gillespie Nelson, & Eugene Gillespie (Died at 4 Days) | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7

2: Great Grandparents | Grandparents | Parents

3: Like branches on a tree, our lives may grow in different directions yet our roots remain as one. | Left: Frank Holding Alvin, Elnora Blanch, & Charles Gillespie | Frank, Opal, Lois & June

5: Great Grandparents | Grandparents | Parents

6: Mother | Grand Mother | Grand Father | Great Grand Father | Great Grand Father | Great Grand Mother | Great Grand Mother | George Washington Lemmon | James William Lemmon | Rosannah Avery | Elnora Blanch Lemmon | Mary Jane Woolsey | Reuben Berl Woolsey | Elnora Jane Miles | Washington Lemmon | Tamer Stephens | Hesikiah Avery | Henrietta Nelson | Thomas Woolsey | Mary Burrell | Sampson Miles | Catherine Lucretia Hickerson | Mary Jane Woolsey

7: Father | Grand Mother | Grand Father | Great Grand Father | Great Grand Father | Great Grand Mother | Great Grand Mother | Frank Lyman Gillespie | Rober Hemphill Gillespie Jr. | Phoebe Delila Hickman | Robert H. Gillespie | Phoebe Maria Dart | William Adams Hickman | Sarah Basford Meacham | Andrew James Gillespie | Temperance Lee Bankston | John Dart | Lucy Ann Roberts | Edwin Temple Hickman | Elizabeth Adams | Jeremiah Meacham | Phebe Meacham | Left: James Lemmon Father of Washington Lemmon b. 1763 Piture abt 1850

8: If you ever need a helping hand you will find one at the end of your arm. | Frank Lyman Gillespie Frank was a Farmer, Stockman, & a Blacksmith by trade. He traveled around a lot with his family but he always seemed to return to the same kinds of trades because he loved it so. He passed this love of the land and free open spaces to his son Charles. Charles' greatest hope was that some day he could own a large piece of land to farm and run cattle. These were feelings that came from his father and the way he was raised. Frank and Elnora were married in 1906 in Montezuma New Mexico. They had nine children, six who grew to adulthood. They moved around a bit and settled for awhile in Kline, Colorado. They had to clear the land of sage brush and trees doing a tremendous amount of work. In the fall of 1920 Frank, Elnora and children traveled from Kline, Colorado to Salt Lake City to have their family sealed to them for Time and All Eternity in the Salt Lake Temple. Frank’s sister Phoebe (Dottie), her husband and family accompanied them. Phoebe’s daughter wrote.... In 1920 Papa and Uncle Frank Gillespie decided to take their families to the Salt Lake Temple to be sealed. In order to do this they had to mortgage their farms. They had a hard journey but Papa said that he was so thankful for the blessings even though they ultimately lost their farm. They were sealed on 21 Oct 1920.

9: As you grow older you discover you have two hands. One is for helping yourself, and the other is for helping others. | Above: Frank Driving in the Helldorado in Las Vegas Right: Frank Lyman & Elnora Blanch Lemmon Gillespie

10: While Living in California Frank worked for the Motion Picture industry working with horses that were used in the movies. Above was a picture taken during that time of his life. | For Time & All Eternity

11: Elnora Blanch Lemmon by Madge Gillespie Carpenter Elnora is my Grandmother on my Father's Side. She was a very exceptional woman. What I remember the most was her smile, her laugh, and how she was so happy and loving to me all of the time. She was very special to me and I enjoyed talking to her. She was always close to her Heavenly Father and she reflected this in her conversations and in the way she treated people. She always knew that she was loved by him, even in her times of sorrow and this helped me also because she told me many of the experiences she had. I will relate some of them. I was not thinking enough and did not write these stories down when she first told me and now I must rely on my memory which is not what it used to be. But with the help of my Heavenly Father I will be able to remember some of them and make them available to ones who may read this. She married young and she had one little boy before she had my father. He was her oldest living child and he learned to love and respect her at a very young age. Her love for her children was very apparent and they felt that love and security through out their lives and all of them loved and respected her in return. She is missed since her death. She helped her husband (Frank Gillespie) clear the land that was to be their ranch. She told me of spending hours cutting sage brush and stacking it in huge piles then she would go in and clean and cook while Frank burned and did the rest of the clearing and leveling so he could plant crops. This went on for days and days and they were so tired at night that they would fall asleep at the table after putting the children to bed. But they had a great love for each other and these trials only brought them closer. Grandpa was not a religious man but he respected Grandmother and her deep devotion to the Lord. | When Grandma was a young mother with young children, there was a Flue epidemic, Grandma was pregnant at the time, she came down with the flu. She was so terribly sick that she lost the baby and was very slow recovering.The baby was born prematurely and was of course born dead however Grandma said she was perfectly formed and she was a beautiful little girl. She had beautiful black hair and a fair complexion. She was so tiny they buried her in a shoe box. They named her Vera and she was dearly loved and missed. Alvin, the second child, was also sick with the flu as was the youngest child Mary (Little Mary). Both children were seriously ill and finally Little Mary died, just a week after Grandma had lost her baby, Grandma was inconsolable, and for many weeks could not eat or sleep. There was great concern for her life also and then one night after dinner, when Grandma had not eaten again, Little Mary came to my father and told him to tell Grandma that she was fine and Grandma was not to worry and grieve so, she said that it was causing great concern on the other side and that she (Mary) could not go on with the work that she needed to do. She said "Alvin had been spared for her sake" and she should be thankful for that instead of grieving so for the ones she had lost. This is just one of the times that Grandma received help and instruction from the other side of the veil. When my sister Dixie Lee died of a tubular pregnancy, she came back to Grandma and told her that she was fine and that she could not have had her baby anyway. She told Grandma to tell my father that he was not to grieve so and hold such hard feelings for the doctor. She cared very much for Daddy and she knew that he was not able to get over her death and she was very concerned for his welfare.

12: Robert Hemphill Gillespie Jr. and Phoebe Delila Hickman Written by Carr Duane Stolworthy, Grandson Robert Hemphill Gillespie Jr. was born 19 August 1854 in Parowan, Iron County, Utah to Robert Hemphill Gillespie and Phoebe Mariah Dart. He was the second child in a family of five children of whom three survived to adulthood and raised families. There were four boys and one girl. He stood six feet one or six feet two inches. He was a tall slender man. At age nineteen Robert was married for a short time to Amanda (Mandy) Curtis. Robert was very poor and Amanda’s parents wanted her married to a financially well to do person, who was available, and talked her into having the marriage annulled. Robert Hemphill Gillespie 3rd was born from the union, but date, time and place are not known to our family. | Phoebe Delila Hickman was born on 8 Nov 1860 in West Jordan, Salt Lake County, Utah to William Adams Hickman and Sarah Basford Meacham. She was the third child in a family of four of whom all four children survived to adulthood and raised families. There were three girls and one boy. At the age of twenty three Robert and Phoebe were married on 24 December 1877 in Bingham Canyon, Tooele County, Utah. They had ten children born to them. Mary Emma born 11 May 1879 at Goose Creek, Cassia County, Idaho who married Layaffette Poterfield. Roberth Hemphill the 4th, born 16 Feb 1881 at Albion, Cassia County, Idaho who died as an Infant in December 1881. Franklin Lyman born 16 Feb 1883 at Lander, Fremont County Wyoming who married Blanch Lemmon. Margaret Elizabeth born 8 Feb 1883 at St. Paul, Howard County, Nebraska who married Albert Grigsby Sawyer. Phoebe Mariah born 15 September 1887 at Beaver, Beaver County, Utah who married George Walter Fielding. Baby Boy (no name) born 15 August at Beaver, Beaver County, Utah who was stillborn. William Andrew born 4 Oct 1893 at Telluride, San Miguel County, Colorado who married Ethel Hawkins. George Lincoln born 30 Jul 1895 at Telluride, San Miguel County, Colorado who married Clarcia Hamblin. Lula Lurene born 17 Nov 1901 at Hammond, San Juan County, New Mexico who married Sidney Glen Brakey.

13: As you can see they moved around pretty regularly, as Robert was an avid trader. A man who never cheated in his trades, but managed to make a living, along with his ranching and farming jobs for hire. In 1889 Robert left his family in Beaver, Utah and went to Telluride, Colorado to work in the gold mines. He sent money home to feed his family. Phoebe and the children joined him in the spring of 1890. Robert had a job moving ore down the mountain by mule train from the Pandora Mine to the smelter in Telluride. Sometimes one of the mules would balk in the mule train up ahead in the trail. All of the mule trains had a good dog accompany them which was trained to go up and get the balking mules started. Robert didn’t have a dog, but he arranged to get a dog from a muleskinner who wasn’t going to work that winter. The arrangement was that Robert would pay $50.00 “That dog is worth $100.00, he said. “If that dog is worth $100.00, then that is what I am going to pay you for him”, Robert said. The Gillespies prospered well in Telluride and left there in 1900 with about $25,000.00. They moved to Hammond, New Mexico where they bought the Dalton Farm and buildings. The big canal, that was built for irrigation kept washing out where it crossed the Largo Wash in Blanco. This expense caused them to endure many hardships which encouraged them to move to Aztec, New Mexico on the Animas River. This move was not a success. Robert was always dealing, buying, selling, something where ever he lived. The next move was to Cherry Creek, or Lower Thompson Park in Colorado. Robert bought the Jim Craig place. He then traded for the next ranch below them, and a short time later, bought the Bloom place north of them in Reservoir Canyon. Water rights came with this place. Robert built a dam across Cherry Creek, at the mouth of Reservoir canyon, with teams and scrapers. He planned on the water being stored in Reservoir Canyon. Unfortunately, the dam washed out the next spring. Maybe he didn’t have it completed when the spring runoff came.

14: Cont. There was some land available for settlement about five miles north of Kline. The Gillespies filed on this land and moved there to develop it. They cleared the land, built a home and plowed the fields. This land was probably Alkali Flats south of Hay Gulch. Later they bought forty acres of farm land just west of the town of Kline. Sometime during the next part of their lives, Robert broke his back. He never walked upright the rest of his life. I can remember Grandpa with a long flowing white beard that hung to his waistline. Actually, with his white hair and dark eyes, black I believe, I was kind of scared of him. This home was where Robert and Phoebe lived at the time of his death. When he died, he relaxed, and straightened out. He barely fit in the casket. He passed away 7 Jan 1940. Grandpa is buried in the Gillespie Plot in the Kline Cemetery. Phoebe lived for nineteen more years. The Sawyers built a one room cabin in back of their home in Redmesa. Grandma moved to Redmesa to stay with her daughter “Maggie” and enjoy her new home. The winters proved to be too hard on her at Redmesa, so she spent the winters with her daughter Lula and Jess Stolworthy at Kirtland, New Mexico. Jess and Lula had five boys at home and Grandma had to put up with a lot of teasing. She was a good sport and enjoyed every minute of it. Because of Dad’s rupture, he most generally had a Navajo man with him to help and unload the truck. He came home from a trip one day and brought the Navajo into the house. “Grandma I want you to meet your new husband”, he said. The Navajo could not speak English. Dad said something to him and he reached out and shook Grandma’s hand. Grandma blew up. I better not print what she said. Grandma wouldn’t speak to dad for a week or so. Grandma Gillespie was very tiny, and only stood about five feet tall, until she got mad. She used one crutch when she walked, this crutch would be a lethal weapon when she got tired of our teasing. We boys liked to hide her crutch. It was only about forty inches long. We could take it and with our leg bent at the knee, stand with it under our arm. Mom had lots of cats. Grandma did not like cats. When she came into a room where the cats were, she’d pound her crutch on the floor and holler “SCAT”. The cats ‘Scatted’. If they didn’t they got the crutch. If they were sleeping on a chair and they heard the crutch coming, thump, they’d raise their head with their ears standing straight up. They’d darn near tear the place up getting out of there. Even through a window if the screen had a hole in it, which some did. This was sure funny to watch, but I think Grandma enjoyed it more than we did. This really made her day. Grandma passed away on 25 May 1949 at Kirtland, New Mexico. She is buried beside her husband, Robert in the Kline cemetery at Kline, Colorado.

15: Robert Hemphill Gillespie Sr. married Phoebe Mariah Dart on 13 May 1852. They were the parents of four children. Some time after the birth of the twin boys (Franklin and Francis), Robert said that he wanted to take another wife. At the time plural marriage was being practiced by some members of the church. Phoebe Mariah did not agree with the second marriage and she left Robert and in about two years she remarried. This marriage was the second of the four men she married. Their names are (1) Robert Hemphill Gillespie Sr. (2) Andrew Smith Gibbons Oct. 1859, (3) 1862 John Phelps, (4)1871 Charles Merriman. Some of the dates on the family group sheets disagree with the way the stories are told and so some verification is needed. Mary Elizabeth, Robert Hemphill Jr. and his brother Franklin David left with their mother. Franklin’s twin brother Francis Israel died at 8 months of age. So began the time that was to bring a good life to one of the boys, Robert, and a life of crime and distrust to the other, Frank. Their father Robert Sr. was killed, some say by the Indians of the area, some say by men who owed him money and did not want to pay the debt. The boys were not treated well by the new fathers and as a result at a very young age had to learn to fend for themselves. This is one of the things that turned Frank so bad. He could not cope with the problems of life and so took to a life of crime to get back some of the things that he felt life owed him.

16: Greetings From Nebraska

17: Andrew James Gillespie was the 3rd son and child of Robert Gillespie and Sarah McDonald Gillespie. Robert and Sarah had 10 Children in all, 5 boys and 5 girls. Andrew was born on the 4th of June 1805 in Warren County, Kentucky. He married twice, his first wife was Temperance Lee Bankston, daughter of Colonel Andrew Bankston, they were married 12 September 1826 in Clinton County, Illinois, they had 15 children, many of which survived to adulthood. His second wife was L. Eliza Hall, whom he married soon after the death of Temperance. Andrew and his family moved to Iowa and then in 1871 moved again with many of his married children to the eastern part of Nebraska. He lived to be 101 years old. On June 4th 1905 Andrew celebrated his 100th birthday at Scotia, Nebraska The Scotia cornet band met the train that came from St. Paul loaded with old neighbors and friends and marched to the hall where two long tables were spread with all the good things to eat that anyone could desire, for which Scotia is noted. The tables were set for Two hundred and they were filled three times. It was estimated that between six and eight hundred ate dinner. The band played and a purse of $140.00 was given to the couple. The train was held over until after the ball game that ended the program. A significant day, in the life of an early pioneer and frontiersman. | Andrew James Gillespie

18: Robert Gillespie 1686 Scotland | Reverend George Gillespie 1613 Kirkcaldy, Scotland | George Gillespie 1644 Edinburgh, Scotland | Robert Gillespie 1775 Lincoln, North Carolina | John Gillespie 1730 Lincoln, North Carolina

19: Andrew James Gillespie 1805 Warren Co. Kentucky | Gillespie, George b. Jan. 21, 1613, Kirkcaldy, Fife, Scot. d. Dec. 17, 1648, Kirkcaldy leader of the Church of Scotland and polemical writer, who laboured for the autonomy and preservation of his church. The son of a parish minister, Gillespie was educated at the University of St. Andrews. His first work, A Dispute Against the English Popish Ceremonies Obtruded Upon the Church of Scotland (1637), was followed by other publications that were highly controversial and hostile toward state domination of the church. In 1638 he was ordained a minister and in the same year was a member of the Glasgow general assembly. | In 1640 he accompanied the commissioners of the peace to England and was one of the first systematically to expound Presbyterian ideals to the English Puritans. As a result he was moved to Edinburgh in 1642 and helped to frame the Solemn League and Covenant. In 1643 he was appointed one of the four Scottish ministers to the Westminster Assembly. In 1645 he drafted the Act of Assembly sanctioning the directory of public worship, and in London he also contributed to the Westminster confession of faith. Gillespie was elected moderator of the assembly in 1648 but died a short time later. From the Encyclopedia Britannica

20: Lemmon Sisters Janette & Elnora Blanch

21: Lula Gillespie Stalworthy & Elnora Blanch Lemmon Gillespie

22: Opal & Jack Leavitt | Charles & Alvin | Lois & Opal

23: Charles & Thelma | Dixie Lee & Lowell Sprague | Blanch, June, & Frank

24: Alvin WWII

25: Motto of the Gillespies, who are a sept of [or members of the larger] clan MacPherson na-bean-don-chat The armorial badge which all members of the Clan are entitled to wear embodies the crest of the Chief's Coat of Arms with a wildcat encircled by a strap and buckle bearing the motto: "Touch not the cat but a glove (in Gaelic, "Na bean don chat gun lamhainn".) The motto's meaning is: Touch not the cat (when it is) without a glove. The glove of the wildcat is the soft, under part of his paw, and when assuming a war-like attitude, the paw is spread or ungloved revealing very dangerous claws. The motto is a warning to those who would be so imprudent as to engage in battle when the claw of the wildcat is ungloved.

Sizes: mini|medium|large|behemoth
Default User
  • By: James H.
  • Joined: over 9 years ago
  • Published Mixbooks: 1
No contributors

About This Mixbook

  • Title: Our Gillespie Family History
  • For the Reunion
  • Tags: None
  • Published: over 9 years ago