Christmas Standard Delivery Deadline 12/18
: :
Get up to 50% Off! Code: MXSHIP Ends: 12/12 Details
Apply
  1. Help

Pennsylvania Covered Bridges

Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.

Pennsylvania Covered Bridges - Page Text Content

S: Pennsylvania Covered Bridges

FC: Pennsylvania Covered Bridges

1: In the early to late 1800s there were approximately 1,500 covered bridges in the state of Pennsylvania. That number has decreased to just over 200 bridges, with more located in Lancaster County than any other cohe United States were made from wood, since wood was relatively inexpensive and easy to acquire. Bridge making, however, was anything but easy and required significant cost, effort, and time. The cost of the building the bridges was covered by government funds or by private individuals building bridges across their land. Since the bridges were built from wood, they were covered to provide protection from the weather, dramatically extending the life of the bridges. Nevertheless, as floods and fires destroyed more bridges, they were eventually replaced or bypassed with more durable and longer-lasting reinforced concrete and steel beam bridges..

3: Lancaster County has the most covered bridges in Pennsylvania with 29 covered bridges. Parke County, Indiana has the most covered bridges of any county in the United States with 31 covered bridges. All of the covered bridges in Lancaster County, except for the Hunsecker's Mill Covered Bridge, Kurtz's Mill Covered Bridge, and the Willow Hill Covered Bridge, are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Most have been on the list since 1980.The WGCB numbering prefix for the county is 38-36.The bridges are an important tourist attraction, both economically and culturally. This is due to both their historical significance and, being in the heart of Pennsylvania Dutch country, the frequent, iconic Amish horse and buggies bridge crossings. They are often visited in the form of covered bridge driving tours.

4: Bitzer's Mill Covered Bridge is a covered bridge that spans the Conestoga River in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, United States. It is the oldest bridge in the county still in use,its official designation is the Big Conestoga #2 Bridge. The bridge is also called Martin's Mill Bridge, Eberly's Cider Mill Covered Bridge, and Fiand's/Fiantz's Covered Bridge.

5: The bridge has a single span, wooden, double Burr arch trusses design with the addition of steel hanger rods. The deck is made from oak planks. Added later, secondary steel I-beams support the bridge from underneath. The bridge is painted red on the outside, the traditional color of Lancaster County covered bridges. The inside of the bridge is not painted. Both approaches to the bridge are painted in the traditional white color. The bridge was built in 1846 by George Fink and Sam Reamsnyder at a cost of $1,115. They used a single span, wooden, double Burr arch truss construction. At some point later, steel I-beams were installed under the floor to add support to the oldest bridge in Lancaster County. The bridge has historically been referred to by a number of names that reflected the various mill owners. The bridge's WGCB Number is 38-36-04.

6: Bucher's Mill Covered Bridge or Butcher's Mill Covered Bridge is a covered bridge that spans Cocalico Creek in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, United States. After the Landis Mill Covered Bridge, it is the second shortest covered bridge in the county. A county-owned and maintained bridge, its official designation is the Cocalico #2 Bridge.

7: The bridge has a single span, wooden, double Burr arch trusses design with the addition of steel hanger rods. The deck is made from oak planks. It is painted red, the traditional color of Lancaster County covered bridges, on both the inside and outside. Both approaches to the bridge are painted in the traditional white color. The Bucher's Mill Covered Bridge was built in 1891 by Elias McMellen, using single span, wooden, double Burr arch truss construction, at a cost of $1167. A year later, in 1892, the bridge was damaged heavily in a flood and was rebuilt by McMellen for $1025. The bridge's WGCB Number is 38-36-12.

8: The Buck Hill Covered Bridge, Eichelberger's Covered Bridge, or Abram Hess' Mill Bridge is a covered bridge located in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, United States. It is located on the Buck Hill Farm's pond on private property.

9: The bridge is one of only 3 covered bridges in the county with horizontal side boards. The original build date and builder of the covered bridge is unknown. However, it was probably built around 1825 to provide access to Abram Hess's store. In 1844 the bridge was sold to George Eichelberger. That same year the bridge was heavily damaged in a flood and had to be repaired. It was rebuilt by Theodore D. Cochran at a cost of $799. The bridge was moved, in 1966, to the Buck Hill Farm, a private farm located in Warwick Township The bridge's WGCB Number is 38-36-15.

10: Colemanville Covered Bridge is a covered bridge that spans Pequea Creek in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, United States. After Hunsecker's Mill Covered Bridge, it is Lancaster County's second-longest single-span covered bridge still being used. It is also referred to as the Martic Forge Covered Bridge and Pequea #12 Bridge.

11: The bridge has a single span, wooden, double Burr arch trusses design with the addition of steel hanger rods. The deck is made from oak planks. It is painted red, the traditional color of Lancaster County covered bridges, on both the inside and outside. Both approaches to the bridge are painted red with white trim. The Colemanville Covered Bridge was originally built in 1856 by James C. Carpenter at a cost of $2,244. After being damaged twice by flooding, it was partially rebuilt in 1938 by Edmund Gardner and 1973 by David Esh. Lancaster county completely rebuilt the bridge in 1992 for $350,000. During the restoration process the bridge was raised by 6 feet and moved west a few feet to protect it from damage in potential future flooding. The bridge's WGCB Number is 38-36-26.

12: Erb's Covered Bridge is a covered bridge that spans Hammer Creek in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, United States. A county-owned and maintained bridge, its official designation is the Hammer Creek #1 Bridge.

13: The bridge has a single span, wooden, double Burr arch trusses design with the addition of steel hanger rods. The deck is made from oak planks. It is painted red, the traditional color of Lancaster County covered bridges, on both the inside and outside. Both approaches to the bridge are painted in the traditional white color. The bridge was originally built in 1849 for a cost of $700. It was built on the Erb family's tract of land in the farming region along Hammer Creek. In 1887 the bridge was rebuilt by John G. Bowman for $1744. The bridge's WGCB Number is 38-36-34.

14: Forry's Mill Covered Bridge is a covered bridge that spans Chiques Creek in West Hempfield in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, United States. A county-owned and maintained bridge, its official designation is the Big Chickies #7 Bridge

15: The bridge has a single span, wooden, double Burr arch trusses design with the addition of steel hanger rods. The deck is made from oak planks. It is painted red, the traditional color of Lancaster County covered bridges, on both the inside and outside. Both approaches to the bridge are painted in the traditional white color. Forry's Mill Covered Bridge is located in West Hempfield Township on Bridge Valley Road 0.4 km (0.25 mi) north of Pennsylvania route 23 5.5 km (3.4 mi) east of Marietta, less than a mile away from the Siegrist's Mill Covered Bridge. The bridge's WGCB Number is 38-36-28

16: Herr's Mill Covered Bridge is a covered bridge that spans Pequea Creek in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, United States. It is also sometimes known as Soudersburg Bridge.

17: The bridge has a double span, wooden, double Burr arch trusses design. It is painted red on the outside, the traditional color of Lancaster County covered bridges. Both approaches to the bridge are painted in the traditional white color. Herr's Mill Covered Bridge was built in 1844 by Joseph Elliot and Robert Russell at a cost of $1787. It has a double-span, double-arch Burr arch truss construction. In 1875 the bridge was rebuilt by James C. Carpenter at a cost of $1860.The bridge was later bypassed by a new concrete bridge and is now on the private property of the Mill Bridge Village Camping Resort. The bridge's WGCB Number is 38-36-21.

18: Hunsecker's Mill Covered Bridge is a covered bridge located in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, United States. The bridge has a single span, wooden, double Burr arch trusses design. The bridge, which spans the Conestoga River, is 180 feet long, making it the longest single span covered bridge in the county.

19: The original bridge was built in 1843 by John Russell at a cost of $1,988. It was and is a double Burr Arch truss system. It has been swept away in flooding numerous times, most recently in 1972 after Hurricane Agnes. Waters lifted the original structure off its abutments and carried it downstream. In 1973, following destruction from the hurricane, it was rebuilt at a cost of $321,302. Its length of 180 feet makes it the longest single-span covered bridge in the county. The bridge's WGCB Number is 38-36-06.

20: Kauffman's Distillery Covered Bridge or Sporting Hill Bridge is a covered bridge that spans Chiques Creek in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, United States. A county-owned and maintained bridge, its official designation is the Big Chickies #1 Bridge

21: The bridge has a single span, wooden, double Burr arch trusses design with the addition of steel hanger rods. The deck is made from oak planks. It is painted red, the traditional color of Lancaster County covered bridges, on both the inside and outside. Both approaches to the bridge are painted in the traditional white color. Kauffman's Distillery Covered Bridge. Kauffman's Distillery Covered Bridge was originally built in 1857 at a cost of $1,185 by James C. Carpenter. The bridge was named after the Kauffman's Distillery Mill which operated in the late 1800s. In 1874 the bridge was rebuilt by Elias McMellen at a cost of $1,620. The bridge's WGCB Number is 38-36-32

22: Keller's Mill Covered Bridge is a covered bridge that spans Cocalico Creek in Ephrata Township, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, United States. A county-owned and maintained bridge. | Its official designation is the Cocalico #5 Bridge. It is also sometimes known as Guy Bard Covered Bridge (after a local jurist) and Rettew's Covered Bridge (after the person that Rettew's Road is named).

23: Keller's Mill Covered Bridge has a single span, wooden, double Burr arch trusses design with the addition of steel hanger rods. The deck is made from oak planks. The bridge is the only all white bridge in the county, the only bridge to have survived the transition from whitewashing to the red color commonly used in barns throughout the county. The bridge is not painted on the inside. Due to heavy road traffic on the aging, one-lane bridge, construction on a new steel and concrete bridge to bypass the covered bridge occurred in the summer of 2006 the bridge has been disassembled and will be reassembled a few miles downstream to replace an existing one lane Mill Creek Road bridge. Keller's Mill Covered Bridge was originally built by Elias McMellen in 1873 at a cost of $2,075. After being swept away in flooding, the bridge was rebuilt in 1891, again by McMellen. The bridge's WGCB Number is 38-36-13.

24: Landis Mill Covered Bridge is a covered bridge that spans the Little Conestoga Creek in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, United States. its official designation is the Little Conestoga #1 Bridge. At 53 feet it is the shortest covered bridge in the county.

25: The bridge has a single span, wooden, double pyramidal-shaped Burr-type trusses and a multiple kingpost design with the addition of steel hanger rods. It is the only bridge in the county to use this design. The deck is made from oak planks. It is painted red, the traditional color of Lancaster County covered bridges, on both the inside and outside. Both approaches to the bridge are painted in red with white trim. The bridge's WGCB Number is 38-36-16 Landis Mill Covered Bridge was built in 1873 by Elias McMellen at a cost of $969. McMellen, who built many of Lancaster's covered bridges using the Burr arch truss, chose to build this short bridge using a simpler design with multiple kingpost trusses and, instead of Burr arches, pyramidal-shaped trusses to add additional support.

26: Leaman's Place Covered Bridge is a covered bridge that spans Pequea Creek in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, United States. Its official designation is the Pequea #4 Bridge. The bridge is also known as Eshelman's Mill Covered Bridge and Paradise Bridge.

27: The bridge has a single span, wooden, double Burr arch trusses design with the addition of steel hanger rods. The deck is made from oak planks. It is painted red, the traditional color of Lancaster County covered bridges, on both the inside and outside. Both approaches to the bridge are painted in the traditional white color. The land that the Leaman's Place Covered Bridge is situated on was settled by the family of Mary Ferree in 1712, a land grant by William Penn in an area inhabited by the Pequaws Indians. It was not until 1845 that James C. Carpenter built the covered bridge across the Pequea Creek at a cost of $933. In 1893,Note:Elias McMellan rebuilt the covered bridge at a cost of $2,431.The bridge was rehabilitated in 2004. The bridge's WGCB Number is 38-36-20.

28: New Germantown bridge was built in 1891 by John W. Fry The bridge's WGCB Number is 38-50-11

29: New Germantown Covered Bridge is a historic wooden covered bridge located at Jackson Township, near New Germantown in Perry County, Pennsylvania. It is a 74-foot-long King post bridge, constructed in 1891. It crosses Sherman Creek. The bridge has an unusual truss system. A multiple Kingpost truss sandwiched between two Queenpost trusses. Its faded barn red sides and white trimmed portals are covered with vertical board and batten siding, the roof is made of corrugated metal, and the deck consists of lengthwise planking laid over crosswise planking. The structure sits on concrete abutments with moderately long stone and mortar wing walls that rise to parapets approximately two feet above the approaches.

30: Its official designation is the Big Conestoga #6 Bridge. The bridge is also known as Pinetown Covered Bridge, Nolte's Point Mill Bridge and Bushong's Mill Bridge. | Pinetown Bushong's Mill Covered Bridge is a covered bridge that spans the Conestoga River in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, United States.

31: The bridge has a single span, wooden, double Burr arch trusses design with the addition of steel hanger rods. The deck is made from oak planks. It is painted red, the traditional color of Lancaster County covered bridges, on both the inside and outside. Both approaches to the bridge are painted in red with white trim. The bridge was built in 1867 by Elias McMellen at a cost of $4,500. In 1972 it was destroyed as a result of flooding caused by Hurricane Agnes. Due to a tremendous response of area residents who signed a petition for its reconstruction, it was among the first covered bridges to be restored after Agnes. To prevent damage due to future flooding, they raised the bridge to 17.5 feet above the average water line. According to local legend, a young Amish girl haunts this bridge. The story goes that one day the young girl was bouncing a ball on the bridge and the ball went over the side through the boards and the girl drowned in her effort to recover the ball. Apparently, her soul still haunts the site. Today if you park in the middle of the bridge at 2 a.m., and turn the car and the headlights off, you can hear the sound of the little girl's ball bouncing, coming towards you. If you wait long enough, she will bounce the ball on your hood, and you will be unable to restart your car.

32: Pool Forge Covered Bridge is a covered bridge that spans the Conestoga River in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, United States.

33: The bridge has a single span, wooden, double Burr arch trusses design with the addition of steel hanger rods. It is painted entirely red, the traditional color of Lancaster County covered bridges on the outside. The inside of the bridge is not painted. Both approaches to the bridge are painted in red without any of the traditional white paint. The bridge is now on private property where it was once used as a storage barn before the owner added a road to receive vehicle traffic. The bridge was built in 1859 by Levi Fink and Elias McMellen. The bridge's WGCB Number is 38-36-01.

34: Red Run Covered Bridge or Oberhaltzer's Covered Bridge is a covered bridge that once spanned the Muddy Creek in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania

35: The bridge has a single span, wooden, double Burr arch trusses design. It is painted red, the traditional color of Lancaster County covered bridges, on the outside. Both approaches to the bridge are painted in the traditional white color. It was built in 1866 by Elias McMellen and is currently situated on private property next to the Red Run Campground. It is 107 feet long with a width of 15 feet and is also known as the Oberholzer's Covered Bridge. The bridge's WGCB Number is 38-36-10.

36: The Sachs Covered Bridge (pronounced /sks/), also known as Sauck's Covered Bridge and Waterworks Covered Bridge

37: Sach's Covered Bridge and Waterworks Covered Bridge, is a 100-foot (30 m), Town truss covered bridge over Marsh Creek between Cumberland and Freedom Townships, Adams County in the U.S. state of Pennsylvania. The bridge was also known as the Sauches Covered Bridge at the time of the Battle of Gettysburg. It is located in the Gettysburg National Military Park.During the American Civil War, both the Union and Confederate Armies used the bridge in the Battle of Gettysburg and its aftermath. The Sachs Covered Bridge is a Town truss covered bridge. The truss design was developed by Ithiel Town of Connecticut and consists of wooden beams "cris-crossed" to form a lattice.The bridge was one of few remaining Town truss bridges in Pennsylvania.The bridge is 100 feet long and 15 feet 4 inches wide. The Sachs Covered Bridge was built around 1854 at a cost of $1,544. On July 1, 1863, the bridge was crossed by the two brigades of the I Corps of the Union Army heading towards Gettysburg.The III Corps also crossed the bridge heading to the Black Horse Tavern. Four days later, the majority of General Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia retreated over the bridge after the Union victory in the Battle of Gettysburg.

38: Schenk's Mill Covered Bridge or Shenk's Mill Covered Bridge is a covered bridge that spans the Big Chiques Creek in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. Its official designation is the Big Chickies #4 Bridge.

39: The bridge has a single span, wooden, double Burr arch trusses design with the addition of steel hanger rods. The deck is made from oak planks. It is painted red, the traditional color of Lancaster County covered bridges, on both the inside and outside. Both approaches to the bridge are painted in the traditional white color. It is one of only 3 covered bridges in the county with horizontal side boards. The bridge was built in 1855 by Charles Malhorn and Levi Fink. The bridge's WGCB Number is 38-36-30

40: Shearer's Covered Bridge is a covered bridge that spans the Big Chiques Creek in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, United States.

41: The bridge has a single span, wooden, double Burr arch trusses design. It is the only covered bridge in the county painted entirely in red, the traditional color of Lancaster County covered bridges, on both the inside and outside including both approaches. The other all red bridge, Pool Forge Covered Bridge, is only painted on the outside. It is one of only 3 covered bridges in the county with horizontal side boards. The bridge was built in 1847 by Jacob Clare. It was rebuilt in 1855 and stayed there until it was moved in 1971 to its present location in the Manheim Memorial Park. The bridge's WGCB Number is 38-36-31.

42: Siegrist's Mill Covered Bridge is a covered bridge that spans the Big Chiques Creek in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, United States. its official designation is the Big Chickies #6 Bridge

43: The bridge has a single span, wooden, double Burr arch trusses design with the addition of steel hanger rods. The deck is made from oak planks.It is painted red, the traditional color of Lancaster County covered bridges, on both the inside and outside. Both approaches to the bridge are painted in the traditional white color. The bridge was built in 1885 by James C. Carpenter. It was named after the Siegrist family who lived nearby. The bridge's WGCB Number is 38-36-37.

44: Zook's Mill Covered Bridge is a covered bridge that spans Cocalico Creek in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, United States. The bridge's WGCB Number is 38-36-14.

45: Its official designation is the Cocalico #7 Bridge. The bridge is also known as Wenger Covered Bridge or Rose Hill Covered Bridge. The bridge has a single span, wooden, double Burr arch trusses design with the addition of steel hanger rods. The deck is made from oak planks It is painted red, the traditional color of Lancaster County covered bridges, on both the inside and outside. Both approaches to the bridge are painted red with white trim. The bridge is 74 feet long and 13 feet three inches wide. It has a wooden burr type truss and was built in 1849 by Henry Zook. Unlike many other bridges in the county the bridge withstood Hurricane Agnes, despite being filled with 6-and-a-half feet of water.

Sizes: mini|medium|large|enormous
John Benedick
  • By: John B.
  • Joined: over 5 years ago
  • Published Mixbooks: 1
No contributors

About This Mixbook

  • Title: Pennsylvania Covered Bridges
  • A collection of Covered Bridges.
  • Tags: None
  • Published: over 5 years ago

Get up to 50% off
Your first order

Get up to 50% off
Your first order