S: Blue Springs Scout Reserve
FC: BSSR | Written by James E. Buckland
7: 1937(pre BSSR sign) John Stiles on rt. with Frank Coombs and Frank C. Irwin who is inside the gate | 1945,written by Frank Coombs
8: Photo captions written by Frank Irwin. The Author of this book, James E. Buckland, has an uncaptioned copy of this print on his wall beside his Gilwell Woodbadge certificate. This minature British Block House and Palisade gate, constructed in 1934, were designed by Arthur Herbert Richardson ( 12 Nov. 1890-27 Dec.1971)
10: The Blockhouse and gateway were designed as a small scale replica of the blockhouse/gate located at old Fort York, Toronto, Ontario
11: photo dated 2000
15: The funding and development of Blue Springs Scout Reserve 100 acres as a permanent Ontario Gilwell Training Centre, purchased on January 18th,1937 was made possible by the Scout interest of the family of Fred J. Mann and Colonel R.Leonard
16: In 1937, this stone cairn was made from rock taken from the roadway leading to the Blue Springs camp. Mr. Fred Watson, a neighbor, built the cairn, faced the stone, and carved the lettering. Fred Watson also built the fireplace in the Kekedowigamig.On Wednesday July 21st, 1937 during the first 1937 Summer Scout Leader's Wood Badge Part 2 Mr. P. Cherry, President of the Ontario Boy Scout Association declared that the Blue Springs Scout reserve was now open. This stone monument was unveiled on Wednesday July 21, 1937 by the widow (Mrs. F.J. Mann) of the late Fred J. Mann, (a former member of the Ontario Provincial Council) and Col.Arthur Leonard Bishop, a nephew and ward of Col. Ruben Wells Leonard. This ceremony was dedicated by Rev. Brillinger the Cub master of the 1ST Acton Cub Pack. Visitors were welcomed and refreshments were served in the Pavilion (now called the Yak Shack) on Wednesday July 21st 1937 during the opening ceremonies of Blue Springs Scout reserve during the 1st Troop or Scout Part 2 Gilwell from July 19th to July 30th 1937.
18: July 2nd 1893 to December 9th 1954.Frank C. Irwin was 61 years old when he died of a Heart attack.
19: Frank Clarence Irwin was born in London, Ontario on 2nd July of 1893 and moves to Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan in 1904 with his family. Frank C. Irwin becomes on 28 September 1910 an original member of the 1st Moose Jaw Scout Troop at the Zion Methodist Church with Scoutmaster Rev. G.F Salton. In 1911 Frank Irwin became a King's Scout, Patrol Leader and the Boy Scout Flag bearer and part of the Canadian Boy Scout Western contingent to the summer Coronation of King George V and Queen Mary. Frank graduated from the University of Saskatchewan with a Bachelor of Arts degree in 1916 as a member of the Canadian Officer Training Corps (C.O.T.C.) and signed up for Overseas Military WW1 service with the YMCA. In April of 1916 Frank Irwin is the Saskatchewan Provincial Secretary and John A Stiles is the New Brunswick Provincial President.
20: John Stiles is starting his second Civil Engineering degree at the University of New Brunswick as a Student/Professor. After 1937 Frank Irwin is the Ontario Executive Commissioner and is Baloo the Bear 2 at the BSSR Pack Wood badge Part 2 Pack courses and John A Stiles is what is now Scouts Canada's Executive Commissioner and Baloo the Bear 1 at the BSSR Wood badge Part 2 Pack courses when the BSSR Akela Leader is John Stiles wife Estelle. In February of 1937 Frank C. Irwin is awarded a Silver Acorn for his 26 years of especially distinguished Scouting Service and for his Leadership as the Ontario Assistant Provincial Commissioner from 1920 at the 26th Annual Ontario Provincial Conference and Meeting at the Brock Hotel in Niagara Falls.Nine years later in February of 1946 Frank C. Irwin is awarded the Silver Wolf by Dominion Commissioner Mr. J.F.M. Stewart for 25 years of Outstanding Scout Leader service at the Royal York Hotel,
21: in Toronto and for his exceptional Leadership efforts since 1920 as the Ontario Executive Commissioner and the Ontario Gilwell Summer Deputy Camp Chief at Ebor Park/Blue Springs from1923.On Thursday morning December 9th, 1954 at his home at 850 Tecumseh Park Drive, Port Credit, Ontario Frank Irwin died of multiple thrombosis. F.C. Irwin left behind his wife and two young children.
22: 1930 Frank C. Irwin
23: 1934- Ebor Park. RANN - Mrs. Norman H. Saunders. Baloo - Frank C. Irwin. Akela- Mrs. John Stiles (the former Estelle Glover married in 1930). In front of Frank Irwin’s American Committee for Devastated France, Wigwam or Teepee that Frank Irwin brought to Ontario in 1920 that he slept in at the Scout camp (Franc port) at Compiegne, France, on the bank of the Aisne for 6 months from April until September of 1920 when he was teaching Indian lore and heritage as a Boy Scouts of America Scoutmaster for Director Lorne W. Barclay. This tepee was an American Committee for Devastated France gift to Frank.
24: Right to Left.during WW2 A.Herb Richarson, Frank Irwin, Herb's daughter Cathy and the Richardson dog.
26: Ontario Provincial Council 1910-2002 A shield showing a red or light brown Scout badge on a green or olive Maple Leaf soon was worn above the left pocket as the 1st Ontario Provincial Scout crest as shown by Frank Irwin's picture. These Ontario Provincial crests were issued soon after the formation of the Ontario Provincial Council on 21 December 1910. There were at least twelve varieties or types of these cloth badges on felt, canvas, ribbon or twill. Here are examples that were worn until 1949.
30: On April 19, 1949 the Ontario Provincial Council approved the Trillium design of Scouter artist, C. Norman Bell. In 1952 Charles Norman Bell was a Toronto Area Rover Leader who was awarded a Medal of Merit. There were at least 18 varieties produced on ribbon or Swiss embroidered The Ontario Provincial crest was worn on the right breast of the Scout uniform.
34: White Pine and Voyageur Executive Director, Barry Hardaker designed the 90 years of Scouting for the year 2000 and Oakville Scouter, Mark Merryweather designed the Ontario Centennial crest for 2010. The Ontario Provincial Office in Toronto started closing in 1997 and by 2002 it was replaced by Battlefields Council, Central Escarpment Council, Greater Toronto Council, Northern Ontario Council, Shinning Waters Council, Tri-Shores Council, Voyageur Council, and White Pine Council.
42: This is the deed of Blue Springs' original 100 acres that was purchased from William A. Murray on January 18th 1937 by the Boy Scout Association Provincial Council for Ontario with money from The estate of Col. R.W. Leonard of St Catherines, Ontario who died in 1931 and the family of deceased long time Ontario Toronto area Scouter FredJ.Mann.The Chairman of this Blue Springs Scout Committee was A. Herb Richardson.This relocated Scout Wood Badge Part 2 from Ebor Park Brantford in the summer of 1937 ( July 19-30) to Blue Springs along with the Lister Hut. Wolf Cub Scout Gilwell Part 2 summer training relocated to Blue Springs from Ebor Park Brantford the next summer in 1938.
45: The Blue Springs Scout Reserve(BSSR) is located at 14009 6th Line Nassagaweya,near Acton (Halton Hills), Ontario. The camp has some 200 acres of natural hardwood and softwood forests, open fields, marshland, swamps and grasslands to explore. The Blue Springs Scout Reserve includes Camp Blue Heron and Ebor Park. Blue Springs is a four-season camp that has something of interest for all Scouting sections. Blue Springs Scout Reserve is the 1st Canadian "SCENES" (Scout Centres Of Excellence for Nature and the Environment) camp approved by the World Scouting Organization on June 01,2005. Blue Springs was a 100 acre Crown Grant given to Mrs. Elizabeth Stuart who received this tract of land on September 17, 1879 on receipt of a payment of fifty dollars. The Ontario Provincial Council became the eighth (8TH) owner when it purchased this area in 1936, then finalized their land deed on January 18th1937.
46: The Boy Scout Association Ontario Provincial Council called their new Gilwell training Area the Blue Springs Scout Reserve. This 100 plus acre site and the long gone Canadian National Railway and tracks have always been called “Blue Springs.” Blue Springs is also the name of their side well of “A” rated drinking water The purchase of this 100 acre property of beautiful land near Acton, Ontario contained abandoned Railway tracks to Guelph and its Blue Springs Station location now called Station Hotel (This location was used by previous owner William A. Murray as the Blue Springs Railway Station (hence the name Station Hotel) from 3 October 1912 until November 29, 1935.. The most extensive line of the Toronto Suburban Railway was the Guelph radial line which was a true interurban railway almost entirely on private right-of-way operating a long distance (49 miles) between cities and towns, carrying passengers, express and freight from Toronto to Guelph from around 1912 to 1937 through the Blue Springs Station(now Ebor Park Station Hotel).
47: These Toronto Suburban Railway/Canadian National Electric Railway Stations were located only at Acton, Georgetown and Guelph; the latter in a store on Carden Street behind the GTR station. At other places there as a small open front shelter of typical interurban style. There were 100 official stops but, it is unknown how many actually had a shelter. Many would likely just be flag stops at a farmer's crossing. This old railway bed is now still part of Blue Springs Blue Trail and Ebor Park Road. The Toronto Suburban Railway Co used to stop and bring passengers on Saturdays, Sundays and Holidays from May until October from 1912 until 1935 for Summer picnics on a private railroad which ran from Toronto to Guelph. On 29 November 1935 this Private railway was nationalized and first called the Canadian National Electric Railway then the Canadian National Railway.On 29 November 1935 the Canadian National Railways gave William A. Murray back the railway right of way, the trains from Toronto to Guelph stopped coming to this Blue Springs Railroad stop and his Summer Picnic/Vacation business( from May until October) of getting tourists from Guelph to Toronto started to fail.
48: William A Murray sold his 100 acres of now bankrupt Picnic business that included his summer home (now Murray Lodge) and his Picnic Pavilion (now Yak Shack)- An out of the weather" original building called The Pavilion that was used from 1937 as an "out of doors" chapel and training area that is still in use as rainy day outdoors Chapel/Training and Cub Scout Play area today.) to what is now Scouts Canada in January 18th of 1937. The funding and the development of these 100 acres as a permanent Ontario Gilwell Training Centre, in 1937, was made possible by the Scout interest of the family of the late Fred J. Mann, whose family provided part of the purchase price, and the legacy of the late Col. R. W. Leonard(who died in 1930), of St. Catharines, Ontario that furnished the funding for the balance of the payments for the rest of the money that was needed for payment to close this sale of Blue Springs'’s 100 acres.Mr William A. Murray's house and garage where he lived from June1, 1912 until he sold his 100 acres of Blue Springs property to what is now Scouts Canada on January 18, 1937.
49: This 100 acre property called Blue Springs was purchased by The Boy Scout Association, Provincial Council on January 18, 1937 with money supplied by the family of the late Fred J. Mann of Toronto and the Estate of the late Col. R. W. Leonard of St. Catharines. There was a Kekedowigamig, or Council/Meeting House that was built by the Ontario Forestry Branch and Old Gilwellians, in 1930 on George Luck'’s 200 acre farm called Ebor Park so a Blue Springs’ KEKE or Council House was erected, in the spring of 1938, for the same reason- as a much needed all weather shelter or Gathering Place. 1938 also saw the enlargement of Murray Lodge and the transfer of Lister Hut from Ebor Park in Brantford to Blue Springs. An Out of Doors Blue Springs Chapel was first dedicated by the Rev Arthur Pa Mitchell on Sunday August 23rd 1953 when it was completed. . Reverend Pa Mitchell (Reverend Arthur S. (Pa) Mitchell was a Scouting “Medal of Merit” holder and former Ebor Park Brantford Summer Wood badge Part 2 Quartermaster and Chaplain who dedicated the Ebor Park “Out of Doors” Gilwell Summer Wood Badge Part 2 Brantford Chapel around the 13th of July 1929).
50: dedicated this chapel at the Blue Springs reunion on Sunday 23 August 1953 to mark the 30th anniversary of Training of Boy Scout Leaders (Ontario, Council) in Canada. Frank Clarence Irwin died December 9th 1954 and this chapel was named the Frank C. Irwin Memorial chapel during the Gilwell reunion weekend in 1956 after more financial donations, further construction and this was a method of remembering the contributions to Blue Springs of Frank C. Irwin who was the Ontario Assistant Commissioner from 1920 until his sudden death on December 9, 1954 when he was the Ontario Provincial Executive Director (same job but a new name). Electricity and Propane are introduced to Blue Springs in 1956. The now KEKE Dining Hall was used from its construction in 1938 until1971for training, meetings and Camp banquets. Kekedowigamig is an Ojibway word for Council House or Gathering Place. The main Scout building in Ebor Park was built after 1937 and this structure was called Ebor Park Pavilion. Sleeping quarters were added in 1962 and this structure was called Ebor Park Lodge when completed in 1963.
51: . A section of the patio was used after 1971, showers were relocated indoors, and cooking facilities were added to change this structure into Station Hotel. In 1970 a new training lodge was built at Blue Springs (now called Ridley Lodge). John B. Ridley made a generous financial donation to the University of Toronto schools (BA Arts-1920) that became the Ridley Fitness Centre. His generous financial donation to Scouts Canada and Blue Springs had the 1971 newly completed H shaped training complex, named Ridley Lodge, in his honour. This new multipurpose building, called Ridley Lodge was officially opened May 29th, 1971.Ridley Lodge replaced the KEKEDOWIGAMIG, in 1971 as the all weather Training building. In 1989 the United Church Parking lot was purchased by Scouts Canada. This across the road parking lot location was used for many years by Blue Springs campers, especially during the first weekend in September for the annual Blue Springs reunions. . This across the 6th line road new location increased Blue Springs’ overall size by 100 acres. . New camping areas and trails were soon developed and this new Scouting area became Blue Heron.
52: . Camp Blue Heron (14014 6th Line) is the Scout Camp to the left directly across from Blue Springs Scout Reserve. Blue Springs/Blue Heron Scout camp site is 200 acres in size. This is the same 200 acre size as George Luck farm that contained the Boy Scout Ebor Park Gilwell site at Brantford, Ontario.The Blue Spring Scout Reserve includes Camp Blue Heron and Ebor Park. The Blue Springs pond forms the idyllic centrepiece of the camp. The camp consists of natural hardwood and softwood forests, open fields, marshlands, swaps, and grasslands. There are three nature trails, include one that is wheelchair accessible. There is a bridge with central lookout tower overlooking wetlands and a Beaver dam. There are numerous buildings including a training facility. Canoeing is available in the nearby Rockwood Conservation Area. The camp will transport canoes there for your use
59: Harold Archibald Detlor was born on July 28th, 1926 in Niagara Falls where he was a resident his whole life. DETLOR, Harold A. U.E. Passed away at the Greater Niagara General Hospital on Thursday March 12th, 2009 at the age of 82. Harold was in Scouting in 1938 then served 2 years in the Royal Canadian Navy near the end of WWII. He was a devoted Scouting leader for 60 years in the 1st Niagara Scout Group and completed his first Wood Badge 11 in 1954.Most remember Harold as a Rover Leader helping out at Blue Springs. Harold Detlor is buried in the Lundy’s Lane Cemetery in Niagara Falls.
60: Ebor Park trail to the Chapel and campfire
64: Goosepimple Pond
65: The "Blue" Spring remains at an almost constant temperature.It is ice cold and crystal clear and in the time of the "steam" trains was used as a "water refilling station" for the engine's boilers.
69: Tower bridge
70: Lister Hut on left. and on right, the Gateway of (Scout) Promises that leads to the Blue Springs Campfire area
73: Blue Springs Stop 90 of the Halton County Radial Railway which was part of the Guelph Radial Line of the Toronto Suburban Railway. The Toronto Suburban Railway was surveyed in 1912 by a Donald Mann. He lived in Acton. It was built by McKenzie and Mann and started operation on April 14, 1917. It ran until August 15, 1931. As well as a passenger train it ran a freight train. In the summer time it was used to take passengers to the parks along the way. There were a lot of picnics at Guelph's Edgewood Park and at the above Blue Springs Park and Blue Springs Stop 90 of the now a Scouts Canada camp called the Blue Springs Scout Reserve.
76: Blue Springs Railway The most extensive line of the Toronto Suburban Railway was the Guelph radial line which was a true interurban railway almost entirely on private right-of-way operating a long distance (49 miles) between cities and towns, carrying passengers, express and freight from Toronto to Guelph from around 1912 to 1937 through the small Blue Springs Station, shown below (and the now Ebor Park Station Hotel collection area for William A. Murray's Picnic business). These Toronto Suburban Railway/Canadian National Electric Railway Stations were located only at Acton, Georgetown and Guelph; the latter in a store on Carden Street behind the GTR station. At other places there as a small open front shelter of typical interurban style, like Stop 90 at Blue Springs, shown below. There were 100 official stops but, it is unknown how many actually had a shelter. Many would likely just be flag stops at a farmer's crossing. This old railway bed is now still part of Blue Springs Blue Trail and Ebor Park Road.The Toronto Suburban Railway and the Halton County Radial Railway was used as a freight train to transport coal, cement and livestock feed like bran and other by-products of the flour industry. Some of the other places that it went to were Limehouse, Norval, Streetsville, Cooksville and Islington This railway took people to picnics at Huttonville and Eldorado Parks. In 1935 these tracks were torn up and some of the land went back to the farms that it was taken from in the first place. The above old railway bed is now part of Blue Springs Blue Trail and Ebor Park Road. The Guelph radial line was never really successful since passenger and express business was all it had with very little freight, only one locomotive was ever owned to handle it.
77: . Interchange was made with the CPR at Cooksville and later the CNR in West Toronto. Private automobiles were a new threat and losses mounted in the 1920's until by 1925 its operating ratio was 145%! ($145 spent for every $100 received). Only public ownership by the CNR kept it running. Ridership dropped to only 300 passengers per day by 1931 in the Great Depression at the same time Highway 7 was carrying 1662 cars along with nine buses. The end was near; CNR let the TSR bond interest go unpaid on July 15, 1931 much to the protest of the bondholders causing it to go into receivership and shut things down on August 15, 1931. Eventually, in 1934, CNR paid off the bondholders at 25 cents on the dollar. Following which the Receivership was ended on September 13, 1935, the line promptly dismantled and equipment disposed of much of it simply scrapped although some went to other CNR properties. The Guelph radial line was ahead of its time killed off by the private automobile, buses and trucks. A high speed frequent commuter service on its own right-of-way unhindered by freight trains would be welcome by thousands of people today. William A. Murray operated the Blue Springs Railway Station (hence the name Station Hotel) from 3 October 1912 until November 29, 1935 as a business with The Toronto Suburban Railway Co who transported passengers on Saturdays, Sundays and Holidays from May until October from 1912 until 1935 for Summer picnics on a private railroad called the Halton County Radial Railway which ran from Toronto to Guelph. On 29 November 1935 this Private railway was nationalized and first called the Canadian National Electric Railway then the Canadian National Railway.
78: On 29 November 1935 the Canadian National Railways gave William A. Murray back the railway right of way, the trains from Toronto to Guelph stopped coming to this Blue Springs Railroad stop and his Summer Picnic/Vacation business( from May until October) of getting tourists from Guelph to Toronto started to fail. William A Murray sold his 100 acres of now bankrupt Picnic business that included his summer home (now Murray Lodge) and his Picnic Pavilion (now Yak Shack) to what is now Scouts Canada in 1936. The Ontario Provincial Council became the eighth (8TH) owner when it purchased this Blue Springs area in 1936, then finalized their land deed in January18th, 1937 with previous Blue Springs owner William A. Murray.
79: The Station Hotel is located on the Ebor Park side and was/is used as Headquaters and sleeping area for the Leaders of the Wood Badge 2 Boy Scout, Venturer, and Rover summer week long training courses starting in 1963
80: The Station Hotel sleeping quarters were added in 1962
81: The smaller clasroom/eating area of the Station Hotel,formally called the Ebor Park Pavillion
82: Yak Shack
83: The Yak Shack, Blue Springs Pavilion, is the rainy day Chapel, Wolf Cub Scout play area, and an "Out of Doors" lecture area.
84: Yak Shack
85: The ceiling of the Yak Shack | Cathy Richardson.. her father co-chaired the Commitee that bought the property in 1937
87: Nature Hut. Pror to 1960, this was the Bathouse, Headquarters and the Winter cabin
89: In memory of Colour Sargent, Harry Lister who was born July 9th 1865 and died 22 May 1926. This building was built,in 1927, by former Boy Scout Wood Badge course members for Dominion Field Commissioner Harry Lister who was the first Quartermaster of summer of 1923 opened Ebor Park, Brantford, Ontario Boy Scout Gilwell Summer training area from 1923 until his death in 1926.Lister Hut was relocated from Ebor Park, Brantford to Blue Springs after 1937.
90: Lister's Hut location was once called Lister Square or Lister Field | Harry Lister was the first Quartermaster of Ebor Park, Ontario Boy Scout Gilwell summer training area from 1923 to his death in 1926
91: James E. Buckland author/Historian
93: Ebor Park
94: The Clock Tower Gate in 1978, that was the entrance to the Blue Springs Ebor Park Scout, Venture training area
95: Ebor Park emergency/fire bell
98: original Chapel
99: Sunday23 August 1953 dedication of the Blue Springs Chapel during the 2nd or 1953 Gilwell reunion on Friday 21 August, Saturday 22 August and Sunday 23 August 1953
100: Inside the Yak Shak
103: Frank Irwin Gate showing the Frank Irwin plaque taken after 1990.
105: The BSSR Chapel was named the Frank C. Irwin Memorial Chapel during the Gilwell reunion weekend in 1956
106: This Out of Doors Blue Springs Chapel was first dedicated by the Rev Arthur" Pa "Mitchell on Sunday August 23rd 1953 when this site or location was completed. Reverend Pa Mitchell dedicated this chapel at the Blue Springs reunion on 21,22,23 August 1953 as this story describes. Frank Clarence Irwin died December 9th 1954 and this chapel was named the Frank C. Irwin Memorial chapel during the Gilwell September reunion weekend in 1956 after more financial donations, further construction and this was a method of remembering the contributions to Blue Springs of Frank C. Irwin. Reverend Arthur S.(Pa) Mitchell was a Scouting “Medal of Merit” holder and former Ebor Park Brantford Summer Wood badge Part 2 Quartermaster from 1924 until 1928 and Chaplain who dedicated the Ebor Park “Out of Doors” Gilwell Summer Wood Badge Part 2 Brantford Chapel around the 13th of July 1929. This new Out of Doors” chapel site at Blue Springs, Ontario Boy Scouts Association Training Centre for Leaders, was rededicated at a ceremony to mark the 30th anniversary of Training of Boy Scout Leaders ( Ontario, Council) in Canada. More development took place at this site in 1955 and was finished in 1956 and renamed the Frank C. Irwin memorial chapel after Frank C. Irwin who was the Ontario Assistant Commissioner from 1920 until his sudden death on December 9, 1954 when he was the Ontario Provincial Executive Director (same job but a new name).
107: By 1953 this Blue Springs area was cleared and benches were installed for the 1953 August and September Dedication and Viewing. After Frank Irwin's death in December of 1954 a collection was taken ( like the collection for the 1926 death of Harry Lister where money, funds and material was collected). At Ebor Park Brantford Quartermaster Harry Lister a building was purchased and erected at Ebor Part Brantford and moved in 1938 to its present location to Blue Springs.This wood face chapel was built in 1955 and renamed the Frank Clarence Irwin Memorial Chapel in 1956.
108: Frank C. Irwin Memorial Chapel
113: Cathy Richardson at the Frank C. Irwin Memorial Chapel
115: Rock Chapel is located in the 1989 opened 100 acre Blue Heron Training area. This Blue Heron Scout site is across the road from the 100 acre Blue Springs/Ebor Park site and was purchased from the United Church in 1989.Rock Chapel is the only church in the mostly back to nature Scouting Blue Heron training area and used by everyone.
117: The Ebor Park Chapel was constructed in 1979 for mostly Scout/Venture Scout and/or Rover Scout Leader Training.
118: Murry Lodge
120: Country cottage , named Murray Lodge, is suitable for 12 youth in bunk beds with a separate Leader's bedroom for 4 adults. Small kitchen with electric stove and fridge. Electric heat and a wood stove.
121: Mr. Murray lived in this house from June 01,1912 until January 18,1937. After, the Lodge was converted to a First Aid area and staff Scouter lounge/meeting facility
122: Mr. William A. Murray's home and garage where he lived until January 18,1937, when he sold his 100 acres of Blue Springs to Scouts Canada
123: The next few pages show 4 pictures on the interior of Murray Lodge and 2 outside pictures from 1937 until about 1955. Included is Scouter/Artist A.Herb Richarson's painted stone that is seen on the Fireplace mantle. Murray Lodge wasWilliam A Murray's original house and was used as a Staff Room, kitchen, and First Aid Area until the completion of Ridley Lodge in 1971.
126: Frank C. Irwin
129: Frank C. Irwin
130: Keke Lodge built in 1937 and showing the 1970 addition, Cedar Lodge for cooking and Quartermaster
131: The Kekedowigamig is an Ojibway Indian word meaning Council House, Meeting or Gathering Place
133: front view, Cedar Lodge
135: Keke Lodge
139: 1977, Ridley Lodge
140: Ridley Lodge
143: John Brabant Ridley, C.M., B.A.( UofT-1920), was born on 20 May 1898 and he died on 24 November 1982 John Ridley, was an Investment Banker/Stock Broker with A.E.Ames then President of The Quetico Foundation for 21 years (1959-1980) John B. Ridley was a Milton and Greater Toronto Area District Council Scout Executive who had nearly 50 years of Scouting service and was awarded a Scout medal for Long Service, Silver Acorn and Silver Wolf for this Scout Service that included becoming Ontario Provincial Council President from 1951 to 1957 and during 1963-64. He was also invested as a Member of the Order of Canada on October 20, 1976 for his nearly half a Century of Boy Scout Leadership and Service. A new "H" shaped all purpose and all weather training building was started in May 1970 and officially opened May 29th, 1971 at Blue Springs and called Ridley Lodge after John B. Ridley. John Ridley made a generous financial donation to the University of Toronto schools (where he was 1920 graduate alumni) that became the Ridley Fitness Centre. His generous financial donation to Scouts Canada and Blue Springs had the 1971 newly completed H shaped training complex, named Ridley Lodge, in his honour.
144: John Brabant Ridley, C.M., B.A. of Toronto, Ontario was made a Member of the Order of Canada ( C.M.) and Awarded on June 23, 1976; then Invested on October 20, 1976. John B. Ridley was Honorary Vice-President of the Boy Scouts of Canada, who for nearly half a century and has devoted himself to the furtherance of Scouting to which he has given continuing leadership.John Ridley deceased on November 24, 1982.
145: 2010, Ridley Lodge
148: Charles Verrell "Lumpy" Nunn built the Akela or Scout Camp Chief's Chair
149: Lumpy's Akela chair lasted until the 1980's
151: Akela, Camp Chief, campfire area
152: Akela campfire area | 1970 Gilwell Park Part II, course Director, the late Akela Dave Hope is sitting in C.V. Nunn's Blue Springs Camp Chief's chair
154: Crab Apple | washing station
155: Mallard Nest Pavilion | Adirondack shelter
158: The GILWELL REUNION
160: During the July 1937 opening of the Blue Springs Scout Reserve former Gilwell graduates continued the Ontario practice of attending get- togethers or Reunions during the last week end of the Gilwell Wood Badge Part 2 course. During WW2 there were few Wood badge Courses and fewer Reunions .In November of 1947 what is now Scouts Canada duplicated the British practice that the Annual Gilwell Reunions will be held on the Thursday proceeding Easter in April to commemorate the 1st Gilwell Reunion at Gilwell Park England in May of 1921. These fixed date Spring Canadian Gilwell Reunions were impracticable as most Canadian Scout Camp sites did not open in May. In the fall of 1951 a few Gilwell Scouters met in the Ebor Park training area of Blue Springs to plan for a 1952 official Blue Springs Scout Reserve Gilwell reunion .On Friday August 21, Saturday August 22, and Sunday August 23 1953 a Blue Springs reunion was held to honour the 30th anniversary of Scout Wood Badge Training in Canada Today September Blue Springs Scout Reserve reunions still happen!
166: Scouter Mark Merryweather showing former Chief Commissioner Steve Kent, the BSSR crest depicting the 1989 purchased Blue Heron site Rock Chapel,the Ebor Park Scout Chapel built in 1979
167: Mark Merryweather designed the last Ontario crest
203: An Inukshuk or as the Inuit prefer, an Inuksuk, stands to proclaim that people have been to this place before.
204: The flag is lowered at sunset
205: Dedication trees are no longer being planted along Memorial Lane. Instead plaques are now being added to the Cairn at the entrance to the Campfire