Get up to 50% Off Sitewide! Code: PARTY Ends: 6/18 Details

  1. Help
Get up to 50% Off Sitewide! Code: PARTY Ends: 6/18 Details

Family History

Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.

Family History - Page Text Content

S: Linda Gail Caldwell's Family

1: Our Family History | "Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow." | This book was written by Linda Gail Caldwell-Ivy-Gilpin for my wonderful children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren and great-great grandchildren to come so you will know about our family from my memories.

2: Hattie Carrie Annie Gray and Rosie Parker | Grannie Smith | Grannie Smith, Jane Ellen Martin and Grandma Martin on the front porch of Grandma Martin's house at London, AR | Grannie Smith and Linda in Grandma Martin's kitchen

3: Hattie Carrie Annie Gray married Charlie Parker and had four children, Chester Parker, Lizzie Parker, Rosie Parker and Gertrude Mae Parker. There were two men at the general store who were about to have a fight and Charlie Parker tried to break them up and he was shot and killed. Later she married Grandpa Smith. I don't know his first name. Grannie Smith always wore an apron with pockets and kept hard candy in her it. You know that she really liked you if she gave you a piece of her candy. When I knew her she lived with Grandma Martin and Grandpa Martin in the rock house at London, Arkansas that Grandpa and Grandma Martin built after they married. She had a a small red metal suitcase that she kept under her two drawer dresser with all of her pictures in it. After Grandma Martin died, my mother got the suitcase of pictures and she gave it to me when she died, I always knew her as Grannie Smith and she loved fresh coconut. At Christmas time, sometimes she would take you to her bedroom and get a piece of fresh coconut out of the red suitcase for you. When she was a young girl and Charlie Parker was courting her, they were walking to town one day and the elastic in her bloomers broke and her bloomers fell all the way to her feet. She stepped out of them and kept walking just like nothing had happened and Charlie picked them up and put them in his pocket and never said a word about it. Sue was very young and innocent when she married Charlie Parker and on their wedding night when he tried to make love to her she got very angry and told him that she was going to tell her papa what he tried to do to her. Charlie had to take her home for a few days so her mother could explain the facts of life to her. After they had been married many years and had four children, she was getting dressed one day and was completely dressed except she didn't have on her thick stockings and Charlie walked in on her and saw her naked ankles and she cried and cried because Papa had never seen her nakedness. She died in 1960.

4: Grandma Martin with me on the left and Diane Stanley, Uncle Junior's daughter | Grandma and Grandpa Martin built the rock house at London, Arkansas. On the front porch, they made a sign that said "God Bless This House" | Gertrude Mae Parker Stanley Martin May 1898 - August 26, 1976

5: Like branches on a tree, our lives may grow in different directions yet our roots remain as one. | Grandma and Grandpa Martin | Grandpa and Grandma Martin with Jayne Ellen at her graduation

6: Gertrude Mae Parker married Martin Luther Stanley and they had four children, Ernest, Jerome, Euna Mae Hazel and Martin Luther Jr. Martin Luther was working in a coal mine that I believe was near Forrest City, Arkansas and got some type of lung disease and couldn't work any longer. They lived by a railroad track that hauled the coal out of the mine area and when the train would go past their house, the engineer would make the train shake so coal would fall off and Mom and her brothers would go pick it up to use for heating their home. He died and I believe is buried near Forrest City. Grandma took her children and went to Pope County Arkansas to live. I don't know where they lived or the exact circumstances, but Mother always said that things got better when Mr. Perryman who lived on Norris Town Mountain let Grandma and her children live in a wood shack on his land. It was by a stream where they got water. He let them pick fruit from his trees and hunt on his land. The old shack was made of boards with cracks between them and they would "wallpaper" the walls with newspaper to help keep the cold out. Mother said that she always thought it was so pretty when the walls were covered with newspaper. The boys would hunt any type of wild game, including song birds. They ate anything that they could catch. When it would snow, the boys would wrap their feet in newspaper and go out with a stick and club rabbits to death for food. Mother said that Grandma would always eat the back of the little birds so she knew that she didn't get hardly anything to eat. The kids went to a one room school house that taught children until the 8th grade and when Mother was young, she didn't want to go to school, so Grandma would switch her legs all the way to school and then Mother would follow her back home. Later Mother loved school and did really well. The

7: teacher would put math problems on the blackboard for the older students to work and when they couldn't, she would let Mother work them, which made the older children furious and embarrassed that an elementary school age girl could work the math problems that they couldn't. The only clothes that the kids had were made from bolts of fabric that the government gave out, so all of their clothes were made from the same fabric. Mother didn't go to school after the 8th grade because they had to go to Russellville to high school and she didn't have clothes to wear. After Grandma married Oscar Martin, Mother lived with Granny Smith and had problems with sleep walking. Many times, Mother would wake up and find herself in odd places like straddling the upstairs porch railing. Mother and her cousin, Maxine Parker were best friends and worked in a spinach cannery. Each week when Mother would be paid, she would buy herself one pair of panties and one bra until she got some underwear. Grandma Martin was a wonderful cook and never had to measure anything. There was a large closet off of her kitchen that she used as a pantry. She had a large wood bowl that she kept flour in and every morning when she made biscuits, she would add some salt, then put lard in the center of the flour and kneed it in, then add water and roll out her biscuits. She cut them with a small pet milk can. She milked her cows, then churned her own butter, killed and cleaned her chickens. She would go out side and grab a chicken's neck with her left hand and one with her right hand and swing until their necks were broken. They had a screened in porch on the back of the house where they had a water well with a long metal tube that they lowered down the well and brought up water. There was always a water bucket and dipper to get a drink of water from. There was a large open front barn just on the south side of the house with a large dog pen behind it where Grandpa Martin kept his hunting dogs. For years Grandpa was the local butcherer and slaughtered peoples cattle and hogs. When he was butchering, he would hang the animals from a large pulley from the rafters of the old barn, so the ground was black with years of soaked in blood. He would throw the animal remains into the dog pen for them to eat.

8: To get to the outhouse, you had to walk past this building and the dog pen. that contained all of the animal bones. When I would go to visit them, I would go home so constipated because I was scared to death to walk past the barn and dog pen to get to the out house. The kids built Grandma and Grandpa an indoor bathroom in a hall closet, but Grandpa wouldn't use it. He said that you just didn't go to the bathroom in the house. He didn't use it for years, but finally decided that it might be all right to use the indoor bathroom. In the hot summer time, they had a bed and mattress on the hill behind the house under an apple tree and would sleep out there. Across the road from the house was the animal barn and pasture land with a pond. Before they retired, every morning Grandma would get up before sun up and make her biscuits from scratch and cook breakfast, they would eat and she would clean up the kitchen, then go out in the fields and work with Grandpa all day. She would leave the fields in time to go home and cook supper. She washed their clothes in a wash tub with a rub board, milked the cows twice a day, fed the chickens, emptied the slop buckets every morning and kept her house clean. What's a slop bucket? Each bedroom had a bucket with a lid under the bed for you to use to go to the bathroom during the night. Each morning, she had to empty them and rinse them out to be ready for the next night. After breakfast was ready but before you could eat, Grandma and Grandpa had morning prayers. They would both kneel over their kitchen chairs and both pray out loud and you could not have breakfast until they were done, which could take up to thirty minutes. My cousins and I would be lined up down the hall waiting for morning prayers to be over so we could eat. There were times we thought they would never get through. After morning prayers were over, you sat down at the table and Grandpa said grace. One time Grandpa was at the local store and he and some men got in an argument over a local election that was taking place, he came running in the house, grabbed his shotgun, yelled at Grandma that his money was under the mattress and went out in a pasture and had a shootout with the men that didn't agree with him. As far as I know all of the old men came home uninjured.

9: When I was 8 1/2 months pregnant with Doug, he wanted me to go with him to cut a Christmas tree down. He was probably 75 years old. I couldn't begin to keep up with him. He would stop every once in a while and holler "Girl, come on, where are you?" He enjoyed his whiskey. Pope County was, is and forever more will be a dry county. When I would be going through Morrilton, Arkansas, which was a wet county, I would check with Grandma to see if Grandpa wanted me to pick him up a bottle of whiskey. The first time I did, he said "Gertie, they won't sell whiskey to a woman". One time he had driven to Clarksville to get a bottle of whiskey and Mother happened to be standing at her front window when he pulled across the bridge to go up the hill to his house, he missed the bridge so the truck leaned over, his door came open and he fell into the bar ditch that was full of water. She went out and pulled him out of it before he drown. When he got older and couldn't drive any longer, he would sometimes walk to Clarksville to get a bottle, which was about 20 miles. Sometime after Grandma died, Oscar had to go to live in a nursing home and they had problems with him trying to get in bed with the ladies. In the early seventies, I was visiting Mom and Debbie. Grandma went with us to Russellville to do some shopping and when it got lunch time, we went into a restaurant that had a buffet to eat lunch. After we had sat down after getting our food, Grandma said that that was the first time in her life that she had gone into a restaurant to eat. She said that sometimes when they were out, Oscar would go in and bring out hamburgers for them to eat. Oscar liked to use talcum powder on his body. One time he got really sick and could hardly breath. He was lying in bed and Grandma, being Pentecostal Holiness, was praying loudly, hollering, crying and carrying on convinced that Grandpa was dying. When the doctor got there and examined Grandpa, he said that there was nothing wrong with Grandpa except an overdose of talcum powder. He got so mad at that doctor. I have wondered if Mother's father's family was from England because he was named Martin Luther and there was a famous man from England named Martin Luther who promoted Bible interpretation for the commoners.

10: Rosie and Tom Potter They had two children, Virginia Ann and Charlie. They lived in California. During WWII, when Dad's ship was coming into SanDiego, Mother would travel to California to see them and be with Daddy. She told me that the first time she went there, was the first time she had ever been out of Arkansas and was scared to death to travel by bus all the way there. The buses were loaded with men traveling to various military bases and she was the only female on the bus. She was really frightened for her safety, but every man on the bus treated her like a lady and was very good to her. She assumed it was because they would have wanted someone to respect and treat their wife well if she was in Mom's situation.

11: Lizzie and Tom Shinn I don't have any pictures of Uncle Tom and Aunt Lizzie, but they had four children, Woodrow, Charlie who married Frances, Jimmy, who married Dora Wall and Mabel, who married Sylvester McCullough. When I knew them, they lived at Forrest City a little east of where we lived across the road from the gravel plant. The first home east of us was Charlie and Frances. Uncle Tom and Aunt Lizzie lived east of them. I don't know of Charlie having any children, Frances had been married previously and had Carolyn and Butch. Jimmy and Dora had a son, Jimmy Jr., and a daughter, Karen. Jimmy and Dora lived north of us.. Mabel and Sylvester had one daughter, Ann. Sylvester and Ann's husband died in a house fire together | Woodrow and Charlie Shinn, Frances with me, Mabel, Dora with Jimmy, Jr. and Jimmy. | Clockwise from top, Carolyn and Butch,

12: Chester and Vesta Parker and their children, Carol Wayne, Charlie, Wilma and Maxine

13: Charlie Parker | Carol Wayne Parker | Maine Parker | Maxine and John Davis

14: Jerome and Wanda Stanley, Rosemary, Beverly, Brenda, Sharon, Nancy, Ruthie, and Becky. Unvle Jerome was an engineer on a train and for some years was a preacher. They were a very Christian family and devoted to God. If there was ever a saint on earth, it was Aunt Wanda. She was the sweetest, kindest person that I ever knew. I never heard her say a negative word about anyone or anything. She was totally devoted to her family and her church. They were members of the Assembly of God Church and lived at Pine Bluff, Arkansas. After Uncle Jerome retired, they moved to Dardanelle, Arkansas and built a home across the road from Becky and Roger, their youngest daughter. Sharon and I were only about siix months apart in age and spent a lot of time together during the summers.

15: e | Earmest Stamley amd his first wife Rosalie. Uncle Earnest, his second wife, Frances and a friend, Lucille Weston. As far as I know, Uncle Earnest never had any children. All Ireally know about him is that he was an alcoholic and he shot himself. His ashes were spread over part of Lake Dardanelle in Arkansas where they played as children.

16: Euna Mae Hazel Stanley Caldwell & David Madison Caldwell m August 18, 1944 My Mother told me that the most important thing in selecting a husband was love. It didn't make any difference if he made lots of money or not. If you really loved each other, you would work everything out and be happy. We never lived in nice houses, but everyone always said that you could eat off of Mother's floors. Every day, she swept her floors, cleaned the bathrooms, made her beds and cleaned the kitchen. She never had a dishwasher, but after every meal, she washed the dishes, dried them and put them away. She never let them sit in the drainer. After I married, she finally told me that she had decided it was all right to let them sit and drain, then put them up. The only other advice that she gave me when I married was to not spend my life cleaning my house. She said that she felt like she had missed out on so much time that she could have spent with Dad because he would ask her to go fishing or somewhere with him and she would always say that she couldn't because the kitchen wasn't cleaned up or the house was a mess. She felt that she missed a lot of what was really important in life to make sure that her home was immaculate. She told me that when my husband said let's go..., drop what I am doing and go. The housework will always be there to do later. Mother enjoyed reading, gardening, cooking, sewing clothes, and playing cards. Mother never learned to drive a car. She and Daddy went everywhere together and when he died, she was totally lost without him. I truly believe that she grieved herself to death. She was never happy after he died. After Mother died, Debbie told me that every night when Mother went to bed, she prayed for God to let her die so she could be with Daddy. One morning she didn't wake up. She had a cold, but the doctor said it was nothing that was serious. I believe that God granted her prayers. I always thought that I wanted to love my husband, but not make my life totally wrapped around him. I believe that is why I always wanted to work outside of the home. I wanted to make sure that I had some kind of life apart from my husband.

17: Jayne Ellen Martin was Oscar and Gertrude's only child together. Jayne was raised in a very strict Christian way of life. She had to wear long sleeved dresses, thick hose, long skirts. Because of her rigid upbringing, when she turned 18, she went totally wild. She cut her hair, started wearing short - shorts, ran around all night, and came and went as she pleased. She married Jimmy Allen and they had one son, Marty Allen. She lives in eastern Arkansas.

18: Martin Luther Stanley, Jr. We always called him Uncle Jr. He lived in Elicabeth, New Jersey and worked for a rescue squad with the fire department. He married Dorothy on April 25, 1949. They had one child, Dianne Patricia Stanley. Uncl;e Jr. would come to visit us a couple of times a year. He was a super nice guy but he was alcoholic. He and Dorothy divorced then he moved to Russellville, Ar and married a lady that he had known early in his life. They had no children. He died from cancer of the esophagus. Dianne married Alan Frank and they had a daughter and son.

19: The picture on the right was taken in May 1960 at Grandma and Grandpa Martin's house. Grandma's birthday was on Mother's Day sometimes and that year, Jerome and Wanda's family and our family all met at Grandma's and had a big celebration. Daddy was in the Navy during WW2. His ship was in the South Pacific. He was drafted, but they wouldn't accept him because he had a heart murmur, but when he voluntarily joined, they accepted him. Daddy had a massive heart attack when I was about 14. The doctors didn't know if he was going to survive or not. Half of his heart was dead and he had to have round the clock nurses come into our home to take care of him. Our household income stopped. I was working part time at Ben Franklin 5 & 10 store making 50 cents an hour and that is what we survived on. I'm not sure how Mother did it, but we even kept the rent current - even though the landlord said to not pay him until Daddy was well. It took six months to get Daddy's social security disability check started. The thought of going to DHS to ask for help never occurred to us and even if it had, we would never have asked for help. Daddy did survive and his heart actually grew an artery on the outside of it that bypassed the dead part of his heart. He had a few small heart attacks through the years, then had another massive one that took his life on January 9, 1974. Daddy was a good man. I never saw him even drink a beer. He worked hard and brought every penny of his pay check home to Mother to pay the bills. He enjoyed reading, fishing, and spending time with our family. He and Mother both were well liked and respected. He was an excellent mechanic and kept our old cars in top notch working condition. His father died when he had just finished the 3rd grade leaving a widow and 4 little children. Dad was the oldest and had to quit school to work and support the family.

20: Frances Shinn and my Mom were good friends. She was with us when we were swimming in Crow Creek and I stepped into a deep part of the creek and I thought I was drowning. That made me afraid of water for the rest of my life. | I was born on October 2, 1948 at Forrest City, Ar. My Dad worked at a gravel plant and we lived across the road from it. The picture to the right is me and Ann McCullough with the gravel plant in the background.

21: I would walk to the corner of the road each evening to meet Dad when he got off work and one day a wealthy man saw me. He could have no children and tried to buy me. My Dad told him that there wasn't enough money in the world to make him sell his daughter.

22: The house in the background is the house we lived in at Crow Creek until I was in about 3rd grade. We lived in some pretty awful houses, but everyone always said that you could eat off of Mama's floors. She was an immaculate housekeeper. The picture on the left is Uncle Jerome and me and the one on the right is Aunt Wanda with me and Mama with Nancy.

23: Both sides of my family came from Pope County, Arkansas where Russellville is located. My Grandmother Martin's sister Lizzie Shinn and her husband, Tom, and their children, Charlie, Jimmy and Mabel lived at Forrest City. I'm not sure where Woodrow lived, but it wasn't there. After Dad was discharged from the Navy, they moved to Forrest City in 1947. I was born there on October 2, 1948. When we lived in the Crow Creek area, Charlie and Frances Shinn's house was east of our house, and Tom and Lizzie's house was east of theirs. Jimmy and Dora lived up the road about half a mile. I don't think Mabel and Sylvester lived at Crow Creek, but can't remember for sure. Behind our house on a hill, Blackie and Ruth Blevins lived with their son Billy, who was a teenager at the time. I called them Uncle Blackie and Aunt Ruth. They only had the one son and were crazy about me. On Saturday nights, Mom and Dad would go to their house and play cards while watching the boxing on TV. Uncle Blackie would let me stand in a chair behind him and comb his hair all night, which I'm sure drove him crazy, but he never said anything. Aunt Ruth would let me come help her dust. I know I wasn't much help, but I loved to be there "helping" her. After Blackie died, Aunt Ruth moved to Duncan, OK and I never saw her again. She sent me a birthday present every year until she died. We never had a lot of money, but I was well loved. We never had our utilities cut off and I never missed a meal. Every penny that my Dad earned he brought home to Mama and she paid all of the bills first, then bought groceries, then if there was anything left over, it was used for whatever we needed.

24: My best friend was Mary Ann Manley who lived at Madison, AR. We loved to play paper dolls and spent a lot of time up in trees for some reason. She lived in a large two story house with a very old Catalpa tree by it. The tree ran along the ground for a way and we played in that tree a lot. The picture on the lower right is of me, my dad and Mary Ann's dad, Earl. We had dance parties and sleep overs at her house. Behind Mary Ann and me ,you can see the old abandoned house where I spent a lot of time playing with my paper dolls. There was an old ice box that had no doors on it and I decorated rooms in it to play with my paper dolls. We would cut pictures of people out of the Sears catalog to use for paper dolls. This was where we were living when Debbie was born. I was 11 years old.

25: I got histoplasmosis while living there, which is a disease that birds have. I got it from breathing the air after crows flew up from their roosts at Crow Creek. Years later after Larry and I married, we met a man who had also gotten it from the same area. I had to go to a pulmonary doctor at Memphis for about a year. During that year, I couldn't run or be active, but I got well. I still have some scars on my lungs from it. Debbie was just a few months old when Daddy was cutting trees down for fire wood and one of the limbs hit him in the head when it was falling and almost killed him. He was in the hospital in Memphis for quite some time. My Dad and I went to church at First Baptist Church at Madison, AR. It was a small rural church and this is where I made my profession of faith and accepted Christ as my Savior. The pastor said that it was the most moving testimonial he had ever heard.

26: I was about 11 years old when I accepted Christ as my Savior. I felt God's spirit so strongly that no one or nothing could have held me back from going down the isle and asking Jesus to live in my heart. My mother went to church when she was young, and I never found out what happened, but I don't ever remember her going to church with us. My Aunt Wanda told me that while I was having chemo in 1977, my faith in God and my witness to my mother brought her back to God. The pictures on the left were taken when we lived about 3 miles east of Forrest City, Ar. There were two fruit markets on each side of Hwy 70 and there was a single story row of apartments behind the one of the south side. The bottom picture was right after Debbie was born and we lived in the last apartment. There was also a single family house on the property where we lived part of the time. I used to catch fire flies during the summer and turn them loose in my bedroom and watch them fly around until I fell asleep. We normally had wood stoves to heat our homes and at night, Mom would hold a blanket up to the stove until is was toasty warm, then wrap me in it to put me to bed. I felt so warm and loved. There were lots of rattle snakes in the hills behind where we lived and sometimes they would come up into the yards. Mom was an expert at killing them. One day she was sitting at the breakfast table and one fell out from under the table to the floor! No one was ever bitten, but it was a miracle they weren't. I played all over those hills, swung from the huge grapevines in the trees and never encountered a rattle snake - I guess I scared all of them away!

27: We moved to Honeysuckle Lane in Forrest City. The picture on the left is me, Debbie and a friend, Gary in our front yard. I rode my bike all the time. The street we lived on was gravel and I could ride up the hill to the main highway like it was flat ground. Most of the summer, I went barefoot and by the end of the summer, my feet were like leather. The picture in the middle is me when I was dating Frank Gann. when I was 14 or 15. The picture on the lower right is Mother, Daddy, Debbie and me on the front porch of our house. The house looked terrible and I was ashamed to bring my friends home, but went to their homes. | Between living east of town and Honeysuckle Lane, we lived on Wolf Street by Mahala Martin. Mahala lived with her Aunt Elsie, who was a waitress, and her Grandmother. I never knew why she didn't live with her mother, but after we were adults, she did have contact with her mother. She and I were best friends from the time we met. She married William Lacefield and lived at Forrest City, then moved to a small town north of there. During my junior high years, another good friend was Rose Marie Clark, who married Michael Treadwell. During my junior and senior high school years, I remained close friends with Mahala and Diane. I can't remember Diane's last name, but she had beautiful red hair and married a guy named Ronnie. She was a hair stylist and lived near me. My first boyfriend was Randy Strange from Smackover, AR. We were in the 7th grade and met at the movies every Saturday afternoon and both of us wore our white "deck" pants. They would be called capris today.

28: 1st grade 2nd grade 3rd grade 4th grade 5th grade 7th grade 8th grade

29: 9th grade 10th grade 11th grade Junior prom Senior Senior prom Graduation

30: At Forrest City, when you started 7th grade, you bought your books from the school book store just like you were in college and sold them back at the end of the semester. Later I realized how odd this was, but we had an outstanding school system and this probably helped the school a lot financially. School was very important to me. I always worked very hard to get excellent grades. I always got straight As in math, algebra, and geometry. I could work algebra problems that would take up the blackboard on both sides of the classroom that no one else could solve. I always wanted to be able to sing and anyone could be in our junior high choir so I joined. The choir director, moved me here, then moved me there, and moved me again. then she said "Honey, would you just stand there and smile sweetly". | I never felt like I had many friends in school, but must have been liked and respected because I was elected to the student council every year, was an officer of my FHA group every year, then the president. I was in the National Honor Society and graduated in the top 10% of my class of 225. I never went to a football game or any school activities. I started working at Ben Franklin 5 & 10 store when I was 13. My first job was in the back storage room putting together easter baskets. I worked up to being a cashier. I would plan my school day so my study hall was the last class of the day and would leave school before it started and go to work until 5:30 each day and worked every Saturday and full time during the summer. Mom didn't teach me to cook because by the time I got home every day, supper was already finished. I saved my money and had enough for a down payment on a black four door Studebaker with red vinyl interior when I turned 16. It had been owned by the wife of a dealership and had a vanity built into the glove box. My Dad co-signed the loan and I made the payments and bought the insurance. When I graduated from high school, DHS called my high school for a recommendation for someone for a job with them and my typing and shorthand teacher recommended me. I was their receptionist. The Director was an elderly lady - probably only 60, but she seemed ancient to me at 17. My family moved to London, AR across the street from my Grandma and Grandpa Martin. I went to work for a mobile home sales business in Russellville and met Larry Mack Ivy when he came in to purchase a mobile home. We married in November at a small church in Dardanelle, Ar with only my parents and grandparents present because neither of us had lived there long and didn't know many people.

31: I graduated in May 1966 from Forrest City High School. When I was a junior I dated John Coleman Jones from Palestine, AR. He was the most gorgeous guy. He was tall with dark hair and almost black eyes. He was in college, but took a semester off and got drafted in the Marines and sent to Vietnam. He was a Clerk for his platoon and did come home safely in 1967. I loved to dance when I was a teenager and on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights our VFW Club had a live band and would let us young girls come in. We knew most of the people who went there and had lots of fun. My best friends at that time were Mahala Martin, Anita, a girl who lived with her, and Diane Lancaster.

32: Debra Jean Caldwell Burke Debbie was born on February 9, 1960 at Forrest City, AR. She and I were never very close because by the time she was entering first grade, I was graduating from high school. There was so much difference in our ages that we didn't really know each other. After I graduated, I married Larry and we lived so far apart, it was difficult for us to see much of each other. did well in school and was a good daughter to Mom and Dad. She didn't even date until she was a senior in high school. She was a sweet, kind, good person. She married Bobby Burke after she graduated from high school and they had three children, Ruby Elaine, Kimberly Gail and Christopher Lee. They lived most of their life at Sanantonio, Texas. She and her children moved to Kingston, Oklahoma about 1993. She spent the rest of her life with a man who loved her very much and teated her very well. She was very happy with him and their life. She inherited a kidney disease and after several years on kidney dialysis, she died in 2007.

34: Our most treasured family heirlooms are our sweet family memories.

35: Right is about 1964 where we lived on Honeysuckle Lane at Forrest City Below was 1971 at London, AR Left was 1977 at Angleton, Texas when I was having chemotherapy for non-hodgkins lmphoma

37: Lily Eva Simmons Caldwell | Lily Eva Simmons married William Washington Caldwell on December 17, 1917 at Russellville, AR. They had four children, David Madison, Roy, James and Lucille. As far as I know she lived her entire life in Pope County, Arkansas. Her father was David Shaffer Simmons and was of Irish decent. His nickname was "Doc". Her mother was Sarah Alice Keener, who was 1/2 Irish and 1/2 Cherokee Indian. Her Grandfather was Jim Keener and he was a full blood Cherokee. Grandma Caldwell and my mother were not close and somewhere I heard that when Daddy and Mother married, he was still helping to support his mother and after they married, most of his salary from the Navy went to mom. I never knew of my Mom visiting her when we went to Russellville. I would go with my Dad to see her.or many years she cooked at a boarding house and had a reputation as a wonderful cook. When I was younger, she still cooked on a wood cook stove and her biscuits would melt in your mouth. Later in life she re-married. I never rememberreceiving a birthday or Christmas present from her. One time when I was visiting her as an adult, she gave me a rose rock. She enjoyed walking around the woods and looking for rose rocks. When I was young, my uncle James was involved in an automobile accident and hit someone who was badly hurt. He was afraid that he would be charged with a crime, so he left Pope County Arkansas and lived the rest of his life I believe in the Northern United States. Dad never knew where he was, but believed that his mother did. It turned out that the person he hit did survive and was fine so he fled for no reason.

38: Hattie Carrie Annie Gray m Charlie Parker then Grandpa Smith | Chester Parker m Vesta | Lizzie Parker m Tom Shinn | Carol WayneParker Charlie Parker Wilma Parker | Maxime Parker m John Davis | Susan Louise Davis b 1946 | Sharon Denise Davis | Charles Shinn m Francis | Mabel Shinn m Sylvester McCullough | Jimmy Shinn m Dora | Carolyn Shinn Butch Shinn | Ann McCullough | Jimmy Shinn Karen Shinn | Woodrow Shinn

39: Gertrude Mae Parker m Martin Luther Stanley then Oscar Martin | Charles Potter Virginia Ann Potter | Charlie Parker | Rosie Parker m Tom Potter | Jerome Stanley m Wanda | Ernest Stanley m Rosalie then Frances | Hazel Euna Mae Stanley m David Madison Caldwell | Martin Luther Stanley, Jr. m Dorothy | Dianne Patricia Stanley m Alan Frank | Rosemary m Otis Parmer | Beverly m Dennis Threlkeld | Brenda m D L Roberts | Sharon m Bobby Wyatt | Nancy m Ronnie DeFoor | Ruthie m/ Goldman | Becky ,m/ Roger Everette | Linda Gail Caldwell m Larry Mack Ivy then David James Gilpin then Ronald Lee Staples | Lara Michelle Ivy m/ Robin MIchael Glynn | Douglas Dewayne Ivy m Sonya Barger then Randi Michelle Jamar | Reese James Glynn Ryan Michael Glynn | Megan Nicole Ivy | Debra Jean Caldwell m Bobby Burke | Christopher Lee | Ruby Elaine Zack Seth Alana | Kimberly Gail

40: Family Learn from yesterday, live for today hope for tomorrow

41: I experienced a lot of life changing events during my life, but each one made me a stronger, better person. There were good times, there were some bad times, but I feel like the good times far out weighed the bad times. I was always loved and taken care of by my family. I always knew that no matter what choices that I made in my life that my family would always love me and be there for me. Of course, my life continued after high school, but that is for another book or two. My children and grandchildren have been the most wonderful blessings in my life and I can't begin to tell them how much I love them and am thankful for each one of them.

Sizes: mini|medium|large|enormous
Default User
  • By: Linda G.
  • Joined: almost 7 years ago
  • Published Mixbooks: 0
No contributors

About This Mixbook

  • Title: Family History
  • Tags: None
  • Started: almost 7 years ago
  • Updated: over 6 years ago