Up to 45% Off! Get up to 45% Off Sitewide! Code: JANYAY45 Ends: 1/23 Details

  1. Help
Up to 45% Off! Get up to 45% Off Sitewide! Code: JANYAY45 Ends: 1/23 Details

Family History

Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.

Family History - Page Text Content

S: James Lowell Hammons

BC: Made With Love By Carrie Rubalcava "Granddaughter"

FC: James Lowell Hammons | Aug. 12, 1919- Oct. 3, 2011 | "Always in our hearts"

4: Best of Friends

8: Tenderly we treasure the past, with memories that will always last. | Cherished Memories

11: Church Family

14: Our most treasured family heirlooms are our memories.

26: James Lowell Hammons "Jim" Aug. 12, 1919 - Oct. 3, 2011 | James L. Hammons, age 92, died on Oct. 3, 2011 in Modesto, CA. He was born in the gently green rolling hills of Southwest Tennessee in the little town of Bollivar. He was born on Aug. 12, 1919 in his parents' home. Mom and Dad were Aubre & Martha Hammons. He was their first born child and was later joined by 2 sisters, (Maxine and Betty), and 5 brothers. The brothers were Dwayne, LaVern- who died when he was 1, Howard, and Edward. When Jim was in his teens he spent most of his time in Memphis. He worked as an usher at the Princess theater. On September 17, 1940, at the age of 21, he joined the 115 Field Artillery in Memphis. This term of service expired Sept. 22, 1941. He left Fort Jackson, South Carolina to go home. He then married his sweetheart Rubye Ballard. They were married in West Memphis, Arkansas on November 11, 1941. Jim and Rubye were going to celebrate their 70th wedding anniversary this year on Nov. 11, 2011. On Aug. 1943, out of a sense of duty for his country, he re-enlisted in the army. He became a member of the 133 Infantry, Company A. He served active duty during WW 2 with the 5th Division called the “Red Bulls.” His was part of a specially trained operations unit whose main mission was to search and destroy. Jim was witness to the true horrors of war. When anybody asked him what he did in the war, he would always jokingly, change the subject. He talked about walking down the foreign roads of Italy and Africa spraying trees. His friends would ask him, what he sprayed the trees with, and he replied, “With bullets.” After the war, he was discharged on July 24, 1946. He went back home to work at the Firestone Rubber Company, and at night he went to

27: auto mechanics and welding school. Rubye, worked at Sears in Memphis. A co-worker, who she was fond of, was a Seventh Day Adventist. This dear woman led Jim and Rubye into the SDA faith. They have been active members ever since. Because of his church and his newly found faith in Christ, his life changed. He gave up smoking and drinking. During the Depression, Jim’s grandparents moved to Blythe, California. On October 22, 1946, his two younger siblings and his mother visited the family in Blythe, and decided to stay. The family unit was later joined by Jim, and his dad, and the rest of the Hammons clan followed. They all were searching California golden opportunities that would lead to wealth and health. 1951, Jim moved to Modesto, California and got a job at the Sharpe Army Depot in Lathrop, CA. He was a warehouse worker and a forklift operator. In the same year Jim and Rubye became members of the Modesto Central Seventh Day Adventists Church, and are still listed as members today. The Hammons were immediately embraced by their new church family and developed a huge amount of loving relationships with their fellow Brothers and Sisters in Christ. Both Jim and Rubye served as Deacon and Deaconess. Jim additionally worked as the Modesto Central SDA church groundskeeper. This happened after he retired from Sharpe Army Depot, in the 1980’s and 1990’s. In 1958, Jim and Ruby decided to adopt Kent. When Kent saw Jim and Rubye, for the first time, he walked right up to them. He had a look in his eye, that told them to take him home, and so, they did. He was adopted from the Oakland, CA. Adoption Center. Jim was always such a proud father. He would chuckle about things that his little boy had done. Things like renting his bicycle to kids at the park for a nickel. One of his most favorite Kent stories that he told happened on an annual trip to Tenn. Kent and his cousin Michael had disappeared. They had decided to go swimming in the Tennessee River. Jim got a 90 mph speeding ticket in his

28: effort to find the young boys. He told Kent that if he would not tell Rubye about the speeding ticket, he would say nothing about him swimming in the Tennessee River. In 1978, Jim suffered a major heart attack. The result was a successful triple bypass surgery. The difficult operation was bathed in by prayer. Jim survived. This event led to to a simple vegetarian diet that was strictly followed. Additionally, his son got married to Cindy Sherman. The outcome of this event blessed him with one grand daughter, Carrie, and one grand son, Kevin. He also has three great-grandchildren -Two boys and one girl. He was a good dad that always loved children. He was always so happy to see his great-grandchildren. In 1996, he and his wife began going to Ceres, Seventh-day- Adventist Church. By then, they had grown more and more discontented. Most of their friends had past after years of retirement, and running around the country in there RV. They sold their RV and went to church with Kent. He is survived by his loving wife Rubye; his son Kent & daughter-in-law, Cindy; 2 grandchildren; 3 great-grandchildren; 2 brothers; 1 sister; and many nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by his parents; Aubre and Martha Hammons, brother Howard Hammons, and sister Maxine Saigeon. He is survived by Dewain Hammons, Edward Hammons - of Modesto, and Betty Gene Angelo - of Turlock.

29: A Letter to My Dad: Dad you were my hero, and mentor. You were very caring, always there and willing to help when I needed. You were there to rescue me in many situations in all phases of my live: Running into the rose bushes while riding my fire truck, falling on my bike, having major auto breakdowns or running out of gas, and having major life decisions. ... You were such a funny and friendly guy that everyone seemed to like. While growing up at Modesto Central Seventh-day-Adventist church, I could always find you laughing with the other deacons in the church. You liked to joke around. When you were in the hospital, you would find a way to laugh with the nurses and hospital staff. I grew up appreciating your sense of humor, and it rubbed off on me. For years we have been joking with each other. Just a couple of weeks ago, you were upset about problems with your cable TV. I made you laugh when I told you that I would go down to Comcast within the hour, and cuss them out. Just last Friday, I came from behind you, rolling down the hall in your power chair, and jumped on the back of the chair for a ride. I said come on give me a ride. We laughed together. Sandra Ballard Foglemen (one of my cousins) writes, “I'll always remember your great big smile and all the fun we had at Bigmama's and Bigdaddy's. You were just a little boy trapped in a man's body with a huge heart and a great sense of humor.” You were always so responsible and direct. You always knew what you wanted and diligently strove to do what was necessary. 4 things stood out in your life: The Lord, Family, Job, and the Church. You always turned to the Lord. You took very good care of us. You did such a good job, that all I had to do for this service and your interment was to sign papers. You were my example and mentor. I have always strove to be a good worker, no matter what the job, because that is what you did. Some things I could never do as well as you. Rest in Jesus, and see you in Heaven!

Sizes: mini|medium|large|gigantic
Carrie Rubalcava
  • By: Carrie R.
  • Joined: almost 8 years ago
  • Published Mixbooks: 1
No contributors

About This Mixbook

  • Title: Family History
  • Tags: None
  • Started: over 7 years ago
  • Updated: over 5 years ago