S: Paul W Kutz Elementary School 1936 to 2011 Celebrating 75 years
FC: 1936 to 2011 Celebrating 75 Years of Excellence in Education | Paul W. Kutz Elementary School | Edited by Stuart Wyss-LeClair
1: Dr. Laws, District Superintendent Dr. Weitzel, Asst. Superintendent Dr. Silvious, Asst. Superintendent Senator Chuck McIllhenny Representative Marguerite Quinn Pam Bryan Lucy Heacock Jen Abato Frank Butler Carol Counihan The Bucciarelli Family Ruth Geiger Nancy Schroeder Corey Loux Patricia Kohlhepp Edward Levensen Clara Stock Dr. Corinne Cody Sue & Fred Martin Lisa Rodgers Jen McHugh Bob & Beth McNealy Linda Elsner Jeanne Shelley Blanche Speiser Alexis Matt Meg Treon Doris Hart-Carr David Evans Fletcher Walls Ruth Peters Terry Fulmer & Kutz Custodial Staff Renee Virgulti & the Office Staff CB Facilities Department Kutz Teachers - Past & Present Kutz Alumni, Community, & Friends The Doylestown Historical Society at Fonthill | Photo Credits: Unless noted, all photos are either property of Kutz Elementary School or were donated by alumni. Book revised in March, 2015 by Stuart Wyss-LeClair | The 75th Anniversary Committee Nicole Zuerblis, Stuart Wyss Melanie Jones, Julie Redling Suzanne Panettieri, Kate Garvin Carol Kalbach, Christine Volpe Mark Appiotti, Andy Durie Beth Reinert, Nancy Blanchard Marybeth Tilghman | The 75th anniversary celebration and the material in this book would not have been possible without the help of the following people: | Kutz Elementary Principals: Robert Shafer (1936-1942) Paul Kutz (1942-1966) Mark Means (1966-1975) William Binder (1975-1976) Robert Winters (1976-1982) Robert Barth (1982-1987) Violette Auteri (Jan - June 1983) Corinne Cody (1987-1990) George Kallenbach (1990-1993) Jeanann Kahley (1993-present)
3: 1920s and 1930s In the 20s and early 30s, the Doylestown area was one of farms and dirt roads. Local children attended one of five one-and-two room school houses; Edison (also known as Bridgepoint), Pebble Hill, Sunny Side, Castle Valley, and Sandy Ridge. During the 30s, as part of the New Deal and the consolidation of rural schools all over America, it was decided to combine the original small schoolhouses into one “consolidated” school on Turk Road in Doylestown. | Sandy Ridge School, 1905 | Newspaper notice soliciting bids for the new building, 1935 | Article Courtesy of the Mercer Museum Library, Doylestown, Pa
4: 1930s The original building that was to become Paul W. Kutz School cost $35,000 to build. At 7,212 sq. ft., it featured six classrooms, a foyer, and indoor bathrooms. Previously, the one-room schoolhouses all had outhouses. The school opened on October 26th, 1936, with approximately 200 students. The one-room schoolhouses were sold off shortly afterwards to private individuals and they remain in the area today as private residences. | This new consolidated school quickly formed relationships with the parents and local organizations. The parent-teacher associations of all five original schools joined together to form a PTA for the new school and began organizing fairs, donating books, and helping with playground equipment. The National Farm School, now Delaware Valley College, donated trees and shrubs to the school grounds.
5: A copy of an attendance record and final grades for the school year 1936 to 1937, grade 3-4. This and other records were found in the attic of another CB school in the 1990s. | Article Courtesy of the Mercer Museum Library, Doylestown, Pa
6: Sample pages from a silent-reading work-book, early 1940s. Diary entry by 12-year-old Sue Garanflo about Mr. Kutz, 1944
7: Handwriting certificate, 1942 Report card, 1947 school year
8: The 1940s and 50s saw population growth in the community and resulted in new faculty members and new additions to the school. In 1941, Mr. Paul Wilson Kutz was hired as a teacher-principal. He taught grades six, seven, and eight, and also acted as he school administrator. By the end of the 40s, overcrowding became a problem, and for several years, one or two classes were taught at the Tabor Home. | The graduating class, photographed at the Farm School, 1942
9: Mrs. Baxter's third grade class, 1942 (above) Photo of the faculty in front of the original building, 1944 (right)
10: Additional photos from the yearbook, 1944
11: The 1950s In 1952, Mr. Kutz was appointed supervising principal of both the consolidated school and Buckingham Township Elementary School. 1952 also saw Doylestown Township High School opening and the 7th and 8th graders from the consolidated school moved up to the high school (now CB West). | In March of 1953, the first addition to the school was proposed. For $80,000, the building gained three classrooms to house the expanding enrollment of students, now numbering 258 in grades one to six. One of the existing classrooms in the old building was converted into offices for the principal and nurse. | Photograph Courtesy of the Mercer Museum Library, Doylestown, Pa | Photograph Courtesy of the Mercer Museum Library, Doylestown, Pa
12: Mrs. Rufe's classroom, 1954 | Mr. Kutz visits Mrs. Fox's fourth grade classroom, 1957 | By 1957, it became clear that the first addition was not sufficient, and a contract for a second addition was awarded, worth $220,000. This addition included four classrooms, a multi-purpose room, a kitchen, and new offices for the secretary, principal, and nurse.
13: Students wait for the bus on Wells Road, 1957 | The school in 1957
14: 60s | By 1962, the continued population growth in the community necessitated a third addition to school, adding the library and seven more classrooms. | Mexican Fest, 1961, held at the high school. | Mr. Kutz in the 1960s | A pin, made to lightly poke fun at Mr. Kutz, 1960s | Photograph Courtesy of the Mercer Museum Library, Doylestown, Pa
15: Graduating class pictured on the school grounds, 1963 Home and School sign-up night, 1960s
16: The school was even in an issue of Architectural Record for the overhead windows in the third addition. These windows were eventually sealed up in 2001 to improve energy efficiency.
17: Since the population of Doylestown had grown so much, a new school in town, Doyle Elementary School, opened in 1966. As the names of Doyle Elementary and the Doylestown Township Consolidated School were somewhat similar, it was decided to rename the school after its long-running principal, Mr. Paul W. Kutz.
18: Kutz was the first school in Central Bucks to be named after a famous community member. Although Mr. Kutz retired as principal, he remained working for the district, becoming Assistant Superintendent of Elementary Education of the newly forming Central Bucks School District. | This watercolor painting was given to Mr. and Mrs. Kutz in honor of the renaming in 1966. It currently hangs in the Kutz lobby. | Photograph Courtesy of the Mercer Museum Library, Doylestown, Pa
19: 70s The school remained much the same during the 70s and 80s, although in 1971, a "portable" was added containing two additional classrooms. | Paul W. Kutz Elementary School, 1971 | Mr. Winters meets new parents in the library, 1970s
20: Spring Fair, 1970s | Art Goes to School, 1976 | Johnny Appleseed Day, 1975 | Pumpkin Day, 1970s | Mr. Kutz retired from the district in 1975. The Art Goes to School program began in Central Bucks in 1976, and Kutz was one the first schools to participate. | All Photographs and Articles on these pages Courtesy of the Mercer Museum Library, Doylestown, Pa
21: Book Fair, 1976 | Parents helped build playground equipment, 1976 | Antique Show, 1976
22: Book Fair, 1977 | The school also began a running club in 1977 called Project Pep, with all students setting a goal to run 100 miles by the end of the school year. | Hoopsters, 1977 | All Photographs and Articles on these pages Courtesy of the Mercer Museum Library, Doylestown, Pa
23: Spring Fair, 1978 (above, right) | Spring Musicale, 1979
24: 80s | Book Fair, 1980 | Spring Fair, 1981 | Art Show, 1980 | Halloween Decorating, 1983
25: 1985 | All Photographs and Articles on these pages Courtesy of the Mercer Museum Library, Doylestown, Pa
26: In, 1986, the school celebrated its 50th anniversary. | Spring Fair, 1980 | Teachers attending a new math workshop, 1986 | Mercer Tile designed by student Carey Cawood to honor the 50th anniversary of Kutz. | Photographs Courtesy of the Mercer Museum Library, Doylestown, Pa | Photographs Courtesy of the Mercer Museum Library, Doylestown, Pa
27: Learning robot, 1989 As the 80s came to an end, the increasing population of Bucks County required a fourth addition to be completed at Kutz, consisting of nine additional classrooms, a new main entrance, and an expanded library. | The new fourth addition ("90s wing") was built where the parking lot (shown below) previously existed. | Photographs Courtesy of the Mercer Museum Library, Doylestown, Pa
28: 90s | This is how Kutz Elementary School looked through the 1990s. (from top) The Tower Entrance Inside the Tower The Main Office The Cafeteria/Gym/Stage
29: Kutz students and teachers began raising money to build a section of the newly created Doylestown Bike-Hike Path in front of the school. One way that money was raised was through McPrincipal Night. Teachers from the school worked at the local McDonalds; in exchange, McDonalds donated a portion of the sales to the bike path. The section was completed in 1999. | Students read a record number of book and sent the principal aloft in a balloon, right from the school grounds! 1995
30: On March 4th, 1998, Mr. Paul W. Kutz passed away at the age of 84. He is remembered as a lifetime educator and a warm, wonderful man. | Students learn about bus safety, 1997
31: 2000s As the school entered the new millennium, further construction was necessary. In 2001, a new front office, small group instruction room, four more classrooms, a new health room, and full-sized gym were added. In addition, 70% of the existing building was renovated for a cost of $5.2 million. The school is now 71,143 sq. ft. | Demolition of the "Tower" entrance, construction of the new office entrance, foundations for new classrooms and gym.
32: The tile mosaic of the school mascot above the gym entrance, completed in 2005 | The entrance mural that tells the story of Kutz, by Corrine Lalin, 2002
33: 75th celebration In 2011, the school celebrated its 75th anniversary all year long with different activities. | (From the top) Teachers dressed as though they were in different decades of Kutz's past, student- made celebration cupcakes, the office Halloween Birthday dance, "official" Kutz 75th ice-cream flavor: "Cougars and Cream"
34: (Top) The whole school population photographed, (Middle) Celebration Assembly, (Bottom) Displays from the anniversary.
36: Each grade created a time-line for a different decade of the school's history that combined all the articles and photos we were able to obtain.
38: 7 | 8
39: Changes over the years This map details how our school has changed over the years as various additions were completed. 1. The original main entrance to the school, 1936-1957 2. Principal's office, 1953-1957 3. Nurse's office, 1953-1957 4. Nurse's office, 1957-2002 5. Main office, 1957-2002 6. Principal's office, 1957-2002 7. Tower entrance, 1990-2002 8. Location of the portable classrooms, 1971-2000 | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
40: The original one and two-room schoolhouses are now all residences. | Pebble Hill School, Cherry Lane, Doylestown | Edison/Bridge Point School, South Easton Road, Doylestown
41: Sandy Ridge School, Sandy Ridge Road, Doylestown | Castle Valley School, Lower State Road, Doylestown | Sunny Side School, Lower State Road, Doylestown
42: Remnants of the old height chart reveal the location of a nurse's office. | Old thermostats still adorn the walls in some areas. | The fonts on signs give clues to the time period. | Interior brick walls were once exterior walls. | Uncovering history As buildings undergo renovations and expansion, much of the original details are lost. However, if you look carefully around the building, you can still see traces of the past.