S: Project lEONARDO DA VINCI
FC: Cidade de Braga
1: history | Braga is one of the oldest cities in Portugal. And is one of the oldest Cristian cities in the world. It was founded is roman times as Bracara Augusta. The name Bracara Augusta came from the name of the emperor Caesar Augustus. After the conquest of the Roman Empire, Bracara Augusta became the political and intellectual capital of the kingdom of the Suevi, which encompassed the region of extinct Galeco. In the Eleventh century the city of Braga was reorganised. Start building the wall by order of the Bishop Pedro de Braga.
2: culture | Portuguese culture has its roots in Celtic culture, Iberian, Roman and Germanic. distinct from the Portuguese culture is manifested through the types of housing, the religious, gastronomy, or even the typical Portuguese pavement. The Portuguese cuisine is recognized as one of the most diverse in the world, although it is restricted to a small geographic area, showing Mediterranean influences, but also the Atlantic, as is visible in the amount of fish consumed traditionally.The basis of Mediterranean cuisine, based on the trilogy of bread, wine and oil, repeated throughout the country, adding the vegetables you like in various soups, and fresh fruit. The meat and offal, especially pork, also comprise a set of dishes and regional delicacies, where the sausage stand. With the advent of the maritime discoveries, the Portuguese cuisine quickly integrated the use, sometimes almost too much, spices and sugar, and other products, such as beans and potatoes, which were adopted as core products. Note that the variety of regional dishes true even in restricted areas.
3: Two neighboring cities can provide, under the same name, food that can differ considerably in the manner of construction, even sharing the same basic recipe. Generalizations are not always correct, the various regional cuisines vary much in the same region. Over the centuries, the Portuguese art scene has been enriched by external influences. The voyages of the Portuguese discoverers contributed to the country might be more open to Eastern influences and the revelation of Brazilian wealth in jewels and gold, influenced the use of "calls" baroque decoration.
4: MONUMENTS | . In 1128 a building was started at the head of five chapels on the initiative of D. Palo Mendes, partially destroyed by the earthquake of 1135. Respecting the architectural canons of the Benedictines clunicenses, work was directed by Nuno Palo. Older will be absidíolos today outside the north, and perhaps some elements of the transept. In 1268 the works were not completed. The building continued to be modified with some artistic interventions, it is particularly significant porch, built on the faade, by D. Jorge da Costa in the early years of the sixteenth century and which was to be completed by D. Diogo de Sousa. The latter sent to the bars but now closed, having also changed the main entrance, (destroying two of its archivolt) and ordered to perform the apse and the chancel, the work of Joo de Castilho dating from the early sixteenth century. In 1688 there are the works of the Archbishop Rodrigo de Moura Teles, which changed the whole front in the baroque style, sending also perform the dome that lights the cruise.
5: The Cathedral of Braga
6: Sameiro | The Sanctuary Sameiro is a shrine located in Braga, Portugal, whose construction began on July 14, 1863. The founder of this shrine was the vicar of Braga, Martin Father Antonio Pereira da Silva, a native of Semelhe, which in 1871 did put on the summit of the mountain, an image of Our Lady. The sanctuary is the largest center of Marian devotion in Portugal, after Fátima . The Temple, completed in the twentieth century, stands inside the main altar in white polished granite, and the tabernacle of silver. In front of the temple stands an imposing staircase and wide, on top of which arise two tall pillars, topped the Virgin and the Heart of Jesus.
7: Our Lady of Sameiro is an image that is on the main altar of the Shrine of Sameiro in Portugal.A sculpture, carved in Rome and blessed by Pope Pius IX. The door to a beautiful and valuable crown with 2.5 kilograms of solid gold and brilliant, offered by the women of Portugal, including the Queen Amelia. | the altar of the church Sameiro
8: S. Bento is the open door The Holy St. Benedict was born in the Italian town of Norcia, on 24 March in the year 480. Son of a noble family and Christian, is sent to Rome to complete studies. Disappointed with the lifestyle of the city, part of Mount Subiaco, where a cave for three years, is dedicated to reflection. Subsequently, he founded the Benedictine Order, whose motto is dispersed in the famous rule "Ora et Labora" - Reza and Works. After a life dedicated to God and to others, performing wonders and miracles, died on 21 March 547. Heralded as the "Patron of Europe" and Patriarch of the Monks of the West, attracts thousands of pilgrims every sanctuary where is venerated. Your image characterized by the figure of the raven, takes us to one of the episodes of his life, poisoned bread, which was offered as a gift by Florencio, his disciple, and that the Holy knew was poisoned. So he sent the raven, who usually show up there, take him away, so no one could find.
9: The Sanctuary The cult of St. Benedict, in Rio Caldo, owes its origin to the influence of the monks of Santa Maria de Bouro. In 1640, the original chapel is built on a slight elevation. According to tradition, it had a porch, like most of the chapels in the hills, and always had the doors open, serving as shelter for passers ... then you will have the designation arising S. Benedict of the Open Door. The current sanctuary is recent. It began its reconstruction in 1880 and was completed in 1895. Are worth highlighting the tile panels of the chancel, depicting the life of St. Benedict, like the carved altarpiece covered in gold. Due to the increasing number of pilgrims in 1998, was inaugurated today Crypt.
10: Bom Jesus | jesus the good escadoris | The Sanctuary of Bom Jesus do Monte, also referred to as the Sanctuary of Bom Jesus, is located in the parish of Tenes in the city, county and district of Braga, Portugal. The Catholic shrine is a set-architectural-landscape composed of a church, a staircase where he develops the Via Sacra of Bom Jesus, a forest area (Park Bom Jesus), some hotels and a funicular (elevator of Bom Jesus) . Its peculiar disposition was an inspiration for other constructions, such as the Shrine of Our Lady of Remedies in Lamego and the Sanctuary of Bom Jesus de Matosinhos in the city of Congonhas, Minas Gerais, Brazil.
11: history It is believed that the early occupation of the site dates from the early fourteenth century, when someone has erected a cross on top of Mount Espinho. In the year 1373 is mentioned as a chapel on site, under the invocation of the Holy Cross. This chapel has been attached to the parish of Tenes. Place of pilgrimage and devotion of the people of the region of Braga, in 1494 a second chapel was built by the then Archbishop of Braga, D. Jorge da Costa, as evidenced by the weapons of this prelate, encountered during the works undertaken in 1839. A third chapel was erected in 1522 on the initiative of the Dean of the Cathedral of Braga, D. John Guard, a period which saw an increase of devotion there. In 1629 a group of devotees formed the Brotherhood of Bom Jesus do Monte, a chapel being built where it was placed an image of Christ crucified, and houses for shelter for pilgrims, and the first chapels of the Stations of the Cross, in the form of small niches, dedicated to episodes of descent from the Cross, the deposition in the tomb, the Resurrection and Ascension. He was named the first hermit, Peter of the Rosary. From 1722, the then Archbishop of Braga, D. Rodrigo de Moura Teles, conceived and initiated a major project that would end the current sanctuary.
12: A Igreja do Bom Jesus /Bom Jesus Church This temple was designed by architect Carlos Amarante, commissioned by the then Archbishop of Braga, D. Gaspar de Bragana, to replace the previous one, built by King Rodrigo de Moura Teles. His works began to June 1, 1784, having been completed in 1811. The churchyard, also designed by Amarante, features eight statues representing characters who took part in the conviction, passion and death of Christ. The church contains plant in the form of a Latin cross, thus becoming one of the first buildings in neoclassical style in the country. Its facade is flanked by two towers, surmounted by a pediment.
13: the interior of the church of Bom Jesus
14: the stage on May 1 | The first May Day Stadium is located in the Park Bridge in Braga, Portugal, and is used for competitions and coaching soccer and athletics with a capacity of 30,000 spectators. Until 1974, it was called "Stadium May 28." In the early twentieth century came the euphoria of a new sport, football, and Braga could not sidestep the enthusiasm that quickly took over the population. Appeared here and there where he practiced indoor soccer. Just saw the appearance of pedestrians in makeshift camps and Ray Street. After a few years, and because it became essential to found a club to honor the city and region, there is the Sporting Clube de Braga, in the field at Mitra Farm, owned by the state, made a small field for football practice. The idea of building a new field then appeared and soon became interested not only the forces of the city, as the State through funds unblocked the funds needed for the project. For the design was chosen as architect engineer Travassos Valdez, who envisioned a stadium that comparable with the National Stadium in Jamor, and that as this was built in stone.
15: In the year 1946, and in order to commemorate the 21st anniversary of the Revolution of May 28, 1926, was marked the start of construction of the stadium. So with the help of a bulldozer was deposited the first stone. On May 28, 1950, Salazar and Oscar Carmona, accompanied by the Minister of Marine and Public Works, who inaugurated the Municipal Stadium was renamed "May 28". Sports groups were invited in the region and organized a grand parade of sports. There were also two football games where he played two bowls, one between FC Porto and Sporting Clube de Braga, who drew and Sport Lisboa e Benfica - Sporting Clube de Portugal, who beat Benfica. This festival has brought the city a sea of people, who flooded in the morning.Following the April 25, 1974 the name changed to the current stadium.
16: The AXA Stadium or Braga Municipal Stadium, known as "The Quarry", asserts itself as an asset for the county, highlighting the city and region. Designed by Portuguese architect Eduardo Souto Moura (Pritzker Prize 2011) and the Portuguese Rui Furtado Engineer (afaconsult company), is a work of great beauty, as part of an unusual architecture and engineering "a great work of art", which comes in body to the urban Park deployed on the slopes of Monte Castro, on the outskirts of the urban area of Braga facing the valley of the River Cávado. The stadium is currently used by Sporting Clube de Braga
17: It is a project of innovative architectural lines, characteristic of a stadium with 30,000 seats capacity and only two side benches, and the tops of the stadium are made by an amphitheater of rock hillside. The coverage takes as a reference "the bridges built by the Inca civilization" in Peru, in order to illuminate the lawn with natural light, thus preserving the natural quality of the lawn. It should be noted that this work was awarded the Secil Prize in 2004 (Category Architecture), and in 2005 (Category Civil Engineering), which distinguishes this award for two years and two pairs of two odd years the most significant works of architecture and Engineering held in this period.
18: stadium axa
19: The symbol of SC Braga, based on minor changes to the crest of the city of Braga, now in the Official Gazette to make the following description of the city seal, "dark blue, the image of Santa Maria de Braga (Our Lady dressed with a purple robe and a blue mantle azure, crowned Antida the silver, and a lily in his hand right hand and sustaining the Baby Jesus in her arms claim), flanked by two towers of silver, carved in black and accompanied in chief three arms of Portugal - old (silver, five blue escutcheons, put on the cross, each escutcheon charged with five bezants of silver). Silver mural crown of five towers. Listel white with the legend of black caps: Braga. "For the city seal the symbol of SC Braga Braga, has a background divided into two halves, one red and one white, silver crown wall and two towers is replaced by gold, and is written inside the symbol "Sporting "at the top and" Club de Braga "at the bottom, replacing the white listel disappears.
20: parties BRAGA | S. Joao | The Feasts of St. John Braga result in the 23rd and June 24th although anticipated a wide range of popular activities, culture and recreation, with the indispensable presence of folk dancing, bands, groups or Cabeudos Giants, bombs and "z's P'ereiras ", theater, traditional games, concerts, etc ... The program of festivities begins on June 16 extending up to 24 days. The 23 will be held at the Monumental Arraial Minhoto which involve all strata of society and bring pilgrims to the city in many different locations as well as domestic and foreign tourists. It is a night of revelry and pilgrimage to the Chapel of St. John located in the Park Bridge along the East River. The chapel building was ordered by Archbishop Diogo de Sousa by the year 1505/1532 and was renewed in 1616. The main avenue (Avenida da Liberdade) that links the heart of the City Park that becomes a sea of people that travels up and down, crisscrossing, jostling each other, those who still like to feel the heat of the People the joy of the young girl of any age, the scent of basil at the same time that will withstand the sometimes violent "hammer" caused by, not always friendly plastic hammers that have replaced the more harmless and even friendly "garlic leek. "
21: Along the avenues, all stalls where they sell a little, tents and the characteristics of "refreshments" and fritters. Do not miss the famous grilled sardines (sardines by John dripping on bread), served on a loaf of boron, with wine green, green soup "with log" served in regional Glazed ceramic bowls. There is also the typical gastronomy roast kid at the time. On day 24, all day, the streets of the City are covered by the bands and floats Cars of King David and the Shepherds. By mid-afternoon, and the Cathedral, the procession leaves the Popular Saints - St. Anthony, S. Peter and John
22: CHRISTMAS | Christmas or Christmas Day is a holiday celebrated annually on December 25 (in Slavic and Orthodox countries whose calendars were based on the Julian calendar, Christmas is celebrated on January 7), originally intended to celebrate the birth of the annual Sun God the winter solstice (invicti natalis Solis),  and adapted by the Catholic Church in the third century AD, to allow the conversion of pagan peoples under the sway of the Roman Empire,    started to celebrate the birth of Jesus of Nazareth.   Christmas is the center of year-end holidays and the holiday season, and, in Christianity, the starting point of the Christmas cycle which lasts twelve days.  Although it is traditionally a Christian holiday, Christmas is widely celebrated by many non-Christians,   and some of their customs and popular commemorative issues have origins pre-Christian or secular. Modern folkways typical holiday include the exchange of gifts and cards, Christmas dinner, Christmas carols, church festivals, a special meal and viewing of different decorations, including Christmas trees, flashers and garlands, mistletoe, nativity scenes and ilex. In addition, Santa Claus (aka Father Christmas in Portugal) is a popular mythological figure in many countries, associated with gifts for children.