APPLIED FAVS19 50% Off Favorites & More!

  1. Help
APPLIED FAVS19 50% Off Favorites & More! Ends: 12/9
: :

Smiley Riley - Volume I

Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.

Smiley Riley - Volume I - Page Text Content

S: Smiley Riley 2010 - The First Year

FC: 2010 | The 1st Year

1: Born at 1:07 pm weighing 8.1 oz and measuring 19 1/2 inches long. Aunt Kelli cut her umbilical cord. | Riley Paige McCants arrived at Mease Countryside Hospital on Tuesday, December 22, 2009

2: Friday, January 1, 2010 | Sleepy Girl | Happy New Year!

3: I'm really loving this. It's been less than 2 weeks and I've only got 6 lbs left to lose before I'll be back to my pre-pregnancy weight. I've already lost 24 lbs!!! Imagine how much more I'll lose once I'm fully healed and can start moving around and exercising. Oh yes, people, I will definitely be looking fit and pretty in my wedding dress come May. Yay me!! On another good note, we started "Tummy Time" with little Riley yesterday. Tummy Time is time (about 5 to 10 minutes only) spent on her tummy to help strengthen her back, spine and neck. She's doing pretty good. She'll lift her head enough to turn her face from one side to the other and she pumps her legs so her little butt sticks straight up in the air. Very cute. Other than that, she's still sleeping most of the day away and keeping me up nights, but that's okay. She's a happy camper and that's all the really matters. | Diaper Change

4: We had our first road trip / outing yesterday with Riley. We drove to Brandon for her newborn pictures and it went great! We spent two hours with the photographer (a good friend of mine) getting about 150 photos taken. Granted, only about 20 or so are going to be used, but it was a LOT of fun. Riley started off sleeping through the pictures, then we changed her clothes and fed her, which perked her up a bit. She got a little fussy, but for the most part was a great little model. Once we were done and put her back in the carseat, she was out like a light for the whole drive home. Such an angel! | "A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bankroll smaller, home happier, clothes shabbier, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for." | Monday, January 4, 2010

5: Our 1st Family Portrait | Our Little Angel | Tiny Feet and Big Beautiful Eyes

6: Tuesday, January 5, 2010 2nd Pediatric Appointment and Chiropractor Visit... Riley was a perfect angel today! We went by my work and Tampa Palms early this morning before our doctor's appointments and everyone absolutely loved her. The chiropractor did a post-natal adjustment on me and checked Riley to make sure she was doing well. She said Riley was a beautiful and perfectly healthy little girl. Yay! The pediatric appointment went fantastically too. We saw a different doctor today and only did a weight check. The main point of the appointment was to make sure she was back at her birth weight. The doctor said she was a little worried that she might not make it all back since last week because she'd lost quite a bit, but Riley passed with flying colors. Her birth weight was originally 8 lbs 1 oz... she weighed 7 lbs 5 oz at last week's appointment... this week, she gained it all back and then some!!! She now weighs 8 lbs 3.8 oz. You go girl! The doc also said her color looked really good. We scheduled her next appointment (one month well check) for Jan 28th at 3:30pm. The doc said to keep doing what we're doing. Her feeding times and amounts are great and shouldn't change between now and the next appointment. She did tell us we needed to start giving her a Vitamin D supplement, but that was it. We are good to go! | Our Sweet Angel

7: Cutie Pie | Lounging Around with Daddy

8: Thursday, January 21, 2010 OB Appointment - 1 Month Checkup Well, I had my doctor's appointment this morning at 7 am to make sure everything was back to normal physically. He was very happy with the fact that I'd lost all of my pregnancy weight. The tear is fully healed although he suggested I wait 2 more weeks before I try anything intimate just to make sure everything is back to normal and comfortable. The grape size cyst that appeared when I went into labor was completely gone as well. Yay! He also refilled my birth control prescription for me. I don't have to return to see him until July for the regular annual woman's check-up. I forgot to also mention that last week, we received one more gift for Riley from my work. They sent us a very cute teddy bear and blanket. Both had Riley's name on them and the blanket also had her birth date embroidered on it. How cool is that?

9: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 Back in the Bassinet... sort of So, last night we tried putting Riley back in the bassinet at bed time instead of letting her sleep between the two of us. It worked.... sort of. She actually slept for 3 hours (until her 3 am feeding) in the bassinet. She was very good. Of course, after she was fed, she refused to go back to sleep or keep her pacifier in. She kept spitting it out and then would start to cry. **sigh** Even after I curled up with her to soothe her to sleep, it still took another two hours for her to pass out. Needless to say, I'm somewhat sleep-deprived once again. I can't even sleep in because I'm working from home and have to stay logged in so the office knows I'm online and working. Oy vay. I've started feeding her up to 4 ounces of breastmilk during her night feedings so that she has a full tummy, but it actually seems to have made things worse. She's more awake and stays that way for longer after those feedings than during the day when we only feed her 3 ounces. I just don't get it. I planned to ask the pediatrician how much she should be eating now when we go in on Thursday. I weighed Riley last night to see approximately how much weight she's gained. I did this by weighing myself and then weighing myself while holding her. According to the scale, she weighs over 10 lbs now!!! Wow. I can't wait to see what it is officially at her next appointment. Go Riley!

10: Wednesday, January 27, 2010 Great News! So, last night I went up to school to help out with a portfolio panel review. This was a last minute thing because a couple of industry professionals canceled their attendance at the last minute and I volunteered to fill in. Anyway, since Jimmy wasn't home from work yet, Riley had to come with me. What an angel!! We got there at about 5:45pm and didn't leave until 10:45pm and she was quiet the whole time and awake for half of it! The great news is... I had to feed her while we were there and I didn't bring my pump, so we breast fed directly from the breast!!! It's been over 4 weeks since we last tried that and I was worried she wouldn't latch on, but she had no problems! It was fantastic! The other good news is Riley stayed in the bassinet ALL NIGHT! She was a little fussy, but nothing I couldn't handle and I got some sleep! Yay us! Thursday, January 28, 2010 1 month well check visit to Pediatrician So, Riley went to the pediatrician today for her one month well check. She now weighs 9 lbs 13.4 ounces. She is 21 3/4 inches tall. Her head size and weight are more than 60% of children her age and she is taller than 65% of children her age. The doctor said she is in perfect health and that whatever I'm doing, I'm doing it right. Yay me! She has a little bit of a newborn rash on her face and he said some hydrocortisone could help it out if I wanted to try that. Last but not least, poor Riley got her second Hepatitis B shot while I held her. The look of betrayal she gave me broke my heart, but I'm sure it won't be the last. *sigh* She got over it pretty quickly though and was asleep in her carseat before we even got back to the car.

11: Riley is growing and gurgling like crazy! She's a very happy baby most of the time. She occasionally gets a little fussy, but nothing out of the ordinary. I am SO glad she's not colicky. On a good note, the last two nights, she has slept a full 4-5 hours straight. I really hope that continues. It's so nice to catch up on some much needed sleep. Jimmy, Riley and I went shopping last night for his wedding band and behold!... we found one. Yay! He's already wearing it. hehehe | Wednesday, February 10, 2010

12: A Gift from Germany for Riley! Sara, our adopted sister in Germany and her husband, Goran, sent Riley this awesome gift! There was a bowl too, but unfortunately, it broke during the trip over. :-( Sara bought insurance on everything though, so hopefully they will be able to replace it. I love the set though. It's so cute!!! I LOVE monkeys! hehehe Wednesday, February 17, 2010 Happy Baby Just thought I'd post a couple more pictures of our happy baby! She's doing really well although she's been having tantrums more and more lately. I think I need to increase the amount I feed her. Pump, pump, pump! :-) Here's Riley in her new jumper. She's so active these days, we decided to give this a try. It's still a little big for her, but she likes it. She'll let us put her in it for five or ten minutes before she gets fussy. Hopefully, as she grows, she'll enjoy it more and like playing with all the toys that came with it! We can't wait! :-p

13: Yes, Riley is two months old as of this week and we got to visit the pediatrician for a well-check and vaccinations. Riley is now 11 lbs 14.1 oz and she is 23 inches long. She is in the 75th percantile of children her age and according to the doc, she is in PERFECT health! Go Riley! She received two shots (one in each thigh) and an oral vaccination. Poor thing was VERY unhappy with all of that, but she forgave and forgot rather quickly. She was asleep within minutes of us leaving the office. Here are a few cute pics we took last night while watching the Olympics. So cute! | Thursday, Feb 25, 2010

14: Tuesday, March 2, 2010 Oh my gosh! Go Riley! She held her bottle all by herself for a few minutes for the first time today!! It was SO cute! Friday, March 5, 2010 Yes, mommy made her first mistake and gave Riley her first boo-boo. I was trying to trim her nails and caught the edge of her skin. Riley started crying and I was completely heartbroken. We put a band-aid on, gave her finger a kiss to make it better, and all was thankfully forgiven.

15: So Riley and I gave daddy a break and went to Ocala to visit my parents yesterday. We spent the night and went to HITS (Horseshows In The Sun) in Ocala today. Riley had a really good time and mommy got burnt to a crisp. hahaha. | Sunday, March 14, 2010

16: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 | Happy St. Patrick's Day!

18: Wednesday, March 31, 2010 | Riley Rolls Over! | Yes! Riley rolled over for the 1st time today and did it 5 times in a row! She even laughed/smiled every time! I caught it on video for everyone to see. She is so cute. Go Riley!

19: Friday, April 2, 2010 She Slept in Her Crib! So, I decided yesterday to try getting Riley to sleep in her crib alone in her room last night instead of her bassinet next to us. The first try at around 10:45pm lasted all of ten minutes before she realized she wasn't in her familiar comfy bed and cried for mommy. The second try at 11:00pm, was just as unsuccessful. So, on the third try, I thought maybe if I put the vibrator from her bassinet in the crib with her, the vibration and noise would soothe her. Yeah.... no. No fooling Miss Riley. She slept for all of 5 minutes before she started crying again. Okay, most of you at this point would tell me to let her cry it out. Well, I really can't do that without panicking. A couple of weeks ago, I let her cry for a little bit once so I could finish pumping and she got so worked up she choked on her own saliva. Not just choked, she literally almost suffocated herself. I looked up when she coughed and a huge bubble of saliva surrounded her mouth. I jumped up and patted her back and what can only be described as a NET of saliva shot out of her mouth onto my hand and her clothes. It was THE SCARIEST thing I'd ever seen. I didn't know something like that was possible. Needless to say, I am not about to let her cry herself to sleep until she's a little older and I'm a little less paranoid. Anyway, back to the crib story. So, now its about 12:30am and as I rocked her back to sleep for the FOURTH time, I got the bright idea to take her blankets from the bassinet that she normally sleeps on and lay them down in the crib. I put her down on them, turned on the vibrator like I would if she were still in the bassinet and.............. voila! She slept! And she continued sleeping until 6am. Yay Riley!! I knew you could do it! :-) Oy, but I'm exhausted.

20: Happy Easter Everybody!

21: Sunday, April 4, 2010

22: Monday, April 5, 2010 What Having a Baby Has Taught Me So Far 1. When you have a baby, it's next to impossible to take a shower 2. Nobody sanitizes binkies every time they fall on the floor 3. Six hours of sleep is a lot! 4. I've suddenly become a multi-tasking expert 5. The smell of sour milk doesn't bother me so much anymore 6. Nobody looks and nothing smells as good as my baby girl 7. That having a spit-up stain on my shoulder is a daily occurrence. 8. That I would kill someone just for making my baby cry. (Mama Bear has a whole new meaning.) 9. That when my baby is hurting, it hurts me 10x more 10. Discussing baby's poop and vomiting issues becomes dinner time talk 11. Foreplay begins one second after baby goes to sleep and lasts about 2 seconds. 12. I value coupons now. 13. I can never have enough pictures of my baby. 14. Time with people I care about is the most important thing in the world. 15. I can go out in public w/out makeup. It only matters that Riley looks good & is happy & safe. 16. A quiet, uninterrupted meal is a privilege. 17. Actually, any uninterrupted activity is a privilege. 18. When Riley gets a shot, it hurts me more than when I do. 19. A clean shirt makes a baby puke. 20. Babies require a lot of stuff, and I've discovered not all of it is REALLY required after I buy it. 21. Sometimes I'm relieved when someone else is holding Riley, sometimes I just want her back. 22. There's finally someone who genuinely doesn't care about my faults or how I look and won't judge me for the lack of makeup, crap I eat, or the fact that I haven't showered today. 23. That same someone is responsible for the lack of makeup, crap I eat, and the fact that I haven't showered today. 24. That I will laugh sometimes when she cries and it's not mean. 25. Sometimes I'll cry when she cries and I'm not crazy. Or alone. 26. Having family nearby can mean SUCH a difference! 27. I have gained an insane amount of patience when it comes to a screaming baby that won't go to sleep. 28. It's okay to let someone else try to soothe her when she's crying... although it kills me to do so. 29. It's possible to love someone more everyday than you did the day before

23: Wednesday, April 4, 2010 A Slight Mishap... funny So, because Riley is now drinking 5 ounces a day, I can no longer keep up with her in my pumping endeavors. We've started supplementing with formula. Well, I had three free cans of Similac formula... one was Advanced Early Shield and two were Advanced with Soy. She had no problems with the first can, but then we switched to the soy formula... Her digestive system apparently didn't like that very much and she didn't poop for two and a half days! Last night we gave her breastmilk with 5 teaspoons of prune juice as per doctor's orders. She still didn't poop. All totaled she got four bottles with prune juice (three of which were breastmilk only - no formula.) She pooped a little bit after the first morning feeding. Then, just before she was due to be fed again.... she went liquid. LOL. Mommy and baby were pretty nasty because it was so unexpected. We put baby in the bathtub - clothes and all! Then mommy took a shower after. Let's just say... NONE of that was pretty. Poor Jimmy was in the middle of cooking breakfast and was frantically trying to help mommy while not burning the food. Pretty funny now that it's all over. Next on the list today was checking out local daycares for pricing and availability. Kindercare is good, but they charge $278 a week. Needless to say, there is NO WAY we can afford that! We found another daycare that is very nice and only charges $210 a week. That daycare also provides live video feed so you can monitor your baby from work. I REALLY like that idea. I've got one more place to check out that's midway between work and home. I'm going to stop by and check out the facilities during lunch tomorrow and see what they have. Unfortunately, they don't have an opening until mid-June while the other two both have openings starting in May. Wish us luck! I hate the idea of putting her in daycare so young, but both Jimmy and I need to work full-time to pay the bills. As it is, we are on a really tight budget right now, especially with the wedding and honeymoon coming up. Not to mention the new additional costs of insurance and school loans that have recently kicked in.

24: Thursday, April 15, 2010 Riley Laughed!!! Riley laughed for the first time today! I wish I'd caught the first time she did it cause it was sooo cute! I did manage to catch it on video a few minutes later and it was still very cute but she's not quite as animated as the first time. Or maybe it's just me. I'm so proud of her! Sunday, April 25, 2010 She's 4 months! Yes, Riley turned 4 months old on Thursday last week! I can' t believe how much time has passed. Her 4 month check up is on Tuesday, so stay tuned for her latest growth statistics. Wednesday, Jimmy is leaving for New York for the summer and Riley will go into daycare! I'm so nervous about all of that. I'm worried about leaving her with strangers and how she'll fare and I'm worried about taking care of her all alone while Jimmy's gone. I know we'll make it through this next hurdle, but Yeesh.... it's a really big hurdle. Tuesday, April 27, 2010 4 Month Checkup Riley's 4 month checkup went great! She's perfectly healthy and a growing baby! She grew 2 whole inches! She is now 25" long and is in the 75th percentile for children her age. She now weighs 15 lbs and 9 oz and is in the 85th percentile. She got two more shots and an oral vaccine. All in all, it was a great appointment. The doctor told us to start feeding her rice cereal and once she was used to that (after a few weeks), we could introduce fruits and veggies! I can't believe how time has flown and how much she's grown. Our next appointment is in July and Riley starts daycare tomorrow. Wish us luck!

25: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 | Daycare went fairly well today. They said she was a bit fussy in the morning, but by afternoon she had acclimated well. She was happy, smiling and very interactive. She only cried when one of the other babies started to cry. She played in a swing outside and slept in her crib at naptime. All in all, a great first day! They were shocked when she tried to hold her bottle on her own. They weren't expecting that since she is still so young. lol. Riley's a superstar! hehehe. Here are some pictures of her 1st attempt at eating rice cereal. She made quite a mess by the end of it, so much so that we had to put down the camera and really focus on feeding. :-)

26: Three times a charm! We had our first truly successful cereal meal! Riley is so eager to eat more, it's absolutely adorable. | Thursday, April 29, 2010 Success!

27: Happy Mother's Day to me! My 1st Mother's Day card from Riley! She made me a flower at daycare! So sweet. On top of that, back on the home front, I turned away for about 10 seconds and came back to find Riley sitting forward in her bouncer! Good thing she was strapped in! | Friday, May 7, 2010

28: Riley's 1st 9 holes of golf. She's got her hat and sunglasses and 55 spf and she's ready to party! | Sunday, May 9, 2010

29: Riley has figured out how to crawl over her Boppy pillow to get to the playmat. So cute. She is also really getting the hang of her jumper. I can't believe her feet are already almost flat on the floor. I'll have to change the setting in the next couple of weeks to lift her up a bit. She's bouncing herself all over the place.

30: Thursday, May 13, 2010 Two new milestones reached! Yay! Amazingly, Riley is completely surpassing all of my expectations and constantly surprising me. Today, she reached TWO milestones. She rolled completely over from her back to her stomach which shocked the heck out of me. I laid her on her playmat on her back and went to go get a burp cloth and came back to her on her stomach grinning at me. I had to laugh. After that shocker, she decided she was having way too much fun to go to sleep. I tried rocking her, letting her lay on me, letting her lay beside me on the couch and she refused to settle down. Just when I'd think she was good to go, she'd wake up and squirm around like there were ants in her pants. Finally, I gave up and put her in her crib and turned the mobile on. Daycare told me that that is what they do when she gets tired and she goes right to sleep. So, I figured what the heck, I'll try it. She was so happy! She immediately grabbed her feet and put her hands in her mouth and gurgled happily. I watched her for a little bit and when she seemed perfectly content to keep doing that, I left the room for a few minutes. When I came back, she'd rolled herself onto her stomach and was happily looking around the room. I rolled her back over onto her back and she immediately rolled back over partially onto her stomach with her left arm under her. I turned on some rain noise on the little speaker thing we were given at a baby shower and she stayed in that position just listening to it and playing with her pacifier. I left the room again to go microwave myself some dinner and came back to check on her a few minutes later. SHE WAS ASLEEP! Oh my god, the girl put herself to sleep IN HER CRIB no less. Will wonders never cease? Now..... the big question is, will she make it through the night or wake me up at 2:00am like she does when she's in her bassinet beside me. Hmmmmm..... Here are a couple of pics just cause I'm a showoff and she makes me so proud. Lol. This one is Riley sitting up all on her own. Of course, after about 30 seconds, she tips over, but she's getting better and better and staying in place every time! Here, she's holding her teething ring while she chews happily. Daycare told me today that she was putting everything in her mouth so they gave her some soft chew toys and she happily slobbered away. She is DEFINITELY teething.

31: Saturday, May 15, 2010 Yay!!! Riley slept in her crib from midnight to 6:30am last night!!!! Mommy, of course, woke up twice to check on her and make sure she was still breathing. :-) Sunday, May 16, 2010 Riley's a Rockstar! OMG! Riley slept in her crib for 10 HOURS last night! Mommy only got up twice to give her her pacifier and she went right back to sleep! Oh no! Poor Riley.... Riley has her first ear infection and all the pharmacies are closed!!!! Waaaaaaah! Tuesday, May 18, 2010 Just a Quick Update... Riley is doing fairly well on her antibiotics. The only side effect is some very messy liquid poop. She also is getting a little Tylenol throughout the day until the antibiotics take effect. The doc said it would take about 3 days before we will notice a difference. Other than that, she's still a happy baby. She slept in her crib from 8:30pm to 4:30am and then her breathing got so rough because her nose was completely stopped up that I brought her into my bed so she could be propped up on my arm. She talked to me for about 30 minutes before she fell back to sleep. Whew. Mommy's tired.

32: Babies nickname: Riles, RP, and most often - Smiley Riley Babies due date: 12/29/09 Birthdate: 12/22/09 at 1:07pm Weight at birth: 8 pounds 1 ounce Who does baby look like?: she has characteristics from both of us, but I think right now she looks mostly like her grandfather on her daddy's side Favorite new activity: grabbing her feet and rolling onto her stomach My baby is too cute when he/she: poots or burps and then laughs like it tickled Favorite toy: her jumper or her monkey blanket Newest sounds?: laughter I know my baby loves me when he/she: looks around the room for me and when she finds me she gets a great big smile on her face just for me! The best thing about being a parent is: those big toothless grins and baby cuddles! The hardest thing about being a parent is: juggling everything and worrying that you'll make a mistake or something will happen to your child when you're not looking One thing I wish for my baby is: to grow up to be a healthy, confident and happy woman | Wednesday, May 19, 2010 Fun Facts

33: Saturday & Sunday, May 29 & 30, 2010 | Mommy & Daddy's Wedding | Aunt Kelli walks our sleeping daughter down the aisle.

35: Despite all of the activity over the entire weekend, Riley made it through like a trooper and was adored by all the family.

36: Monday, June 7, 2010 Riley's 1st Dip in the Pool! Omie and Riley went swimming at our new house while Jimmy and I were on our honeymoon!

37: Tuesday, June 15, 2010 Oh My..... Riley is definitely a handful these days. She's growing so fast! She is trying so very hard to crawl, I think it'll happen any day now. She gets up on all fours and rocks back and forth and then falls flat and gets SO frustrated. She's started scooting herself backwards in her attempts. It's pretty funny. Also, she's now eating Gerber 2nd foods and LOVES them! The 2nd foods are mixed fruits and mixed veggies. So far she has tried the Apples, Strawberries & Bananas combo and the Sweet Potatoes and Corn combo. She couldn't get enough of them. Wow. Even more surprising news is that yesterday at daycare during lunchtime, she'd just eaten her fruit and was sitting next to one of the babies who will be a year old this month. He was eating cheerios and graham crackers. She snatched one of the graham crackers from the table and went to town sucking on it!! I was shocked to hear this and want to tell her to SLOW DOWN! LOL. I can't keep up! It's so funny because I had a conversation with her teacher just that morning about what she's been eating and my internal debate on whether she's ready to try new things and whether or not I'm ready to let go and let her. hahaha. Guess she's not planning on giving me much of a choice. Oy vay. She's also become somewhat of a pill bug at nighttime. The last few days she hasn't wanted to go down for her nap in the afternoons and has wound up staying awake for between 4-6 hours straight. Even then, it takes a good hour to get her to sleep when it's bed time. She is such a squirmer! She just won't sit still! My mom stayed the weekend with us so I could get some organizing done around the house so I could start unpacking things. I organized Riley's room, the kitchen and the master bedroom. I haven't yet started unpacking the boxes stacked in the garage or hung any pictures. That will potentially be a VERY slow process due to Riley's recent excessive activities. lol. The exterminator also came out to deal with some roaches that possibly followed us from the old house. Dad came over on Sunday and fixed a few things as well as changing the locks on the front door. Anyway, I think that's it for now. Hopefully, I will have more pics or video to post soon of Riley's antics. I'm just waiting on Jimmy to send me the video camera and the digital camera's download cord that he accidently took back up to New York with him. :-) Riley's daycare report stated that they are changing her name from Smiley Riley to Skreech. LOL. She's learned how to pitch her voice really high when she wants attention or she's frustrated or she's not ready to go to sleep yet. Also, when I fed her her bottle around 6:45 tonight she was really upset that it was completely empty and wanted more. She had had 5 ounces and was still hungry! I gave her another 4 oz bottle and she nearly finished it! She was still kind of fussy over the next half hour so I laid her down in my arms and she went to sleep! It's almost 10pm now and she's still sleeping so she's down for the night! That girl certainly keeps me on my toes. lol And for even more exciting news, I think she's cutting teeth! I felt along her lower gum tonight and there were a couple of sharp points breaking the surface!

38: Oh dear lord.... Yep. Riley's getting ready to go, go, go! She's on all fours and gearing up for it right now. LOL. | Friday, June 18, 2010

39: Happy 1st Father's Day, Daddy!!! | Saturday, June 19, 2010

40: Tuesday, June 22, 2010 Happy 1/2 Birthday, Riley!!! | Sunday, June 20, 2010 Riley's 1st Steps! LOL... sort of...

41: Wednesday, June 23, 2010 Riley's starting to stand up by herself! :-)

42: Riley's 1st playdate! | Saturday, June 26, 2010

43: Tina, a lady I first met while taking pre-natal yoga, has a daughter that is 6 days older than Riley. Her name is Savanna and she's cute as a button. Tina and I have met about once a month since the girls were born and compared notes on their progress and growth. This is the first time the girls actually interacted with each other. They can both sit up and play now so we decided to meet up and spend the day together. It was a lot of fun!

44: Tuesday, June 29, 2010 An Update... So, this morning was a bit of an adventure. Last night, a coworker brought over her 4 1/2 yr old blonde labrador for me to dogsit until Thursday. No big deal, right? Apparently I was wrong. The poor thing whined all night long because mom and dad were gone and he was in an unfamiliar place. Every time I got up to go give Riley her pacifier (twice) he got excited and thought it was time to play. I felt so bad because all I wanted to do was go back to sleep. :-( This morning as Riley and I walked out the door, Sammy made a break for it... he bolted out the door and down the street with no sign of stopping. As he ran across the street at the main intersection, a truck slammed on its brakes just nearly missing him. I was in a complete panic as I still had Riley on one arm and bags wrapped around the other. I set everything down by the car and flagged down a car driving by. I asked the driver to see if he could drive down the street and find Sammy while I called his owner. I ran back to the car and loaded Riley and everything in. As I put Riley in, I pulled my back badly enough to take my breath away. The other car came back at that point to say he couldn't find the dog. I thanked him and drove off to try and find him myself. Luckily, I found him about three blocks away, safe and sound and still refusing to come when called. I chased him around the parking lot until he finally sat still for a second and I got the leash on him. I called my coworker to let her know that I caught him. I put him in the passenger seat of the car, which was laughable. He slobbered all over everything. Finally, we got back to the house and I put him inside and left to take Riley to daycare. To top it all off, Riley was coughing and sneezing all morning and her eyes were watering really bad as well. Now I was wondering if she was allergic to the dog. I dropped her off at daycare and asked them to keep an eye on her and let me know if she got any worse. About 30 minutes later as I was pulling in to work, the daycare called to say Riley had a low-grade fever of 100.1. So, I called the pediatrician and they thankfully had an open time to see her at 9:15 am. I left work and went back to the daycare to get Riley and take her to the doc. She's not allergic to the dog, thank god, but she does have the beginnings of a cold. Nice. She also weighs 18.2 oz!!! Holy cow. No wonder I almost broke my back putting her in the car this morning. Yeesh. I called my coworker and told her that Riley was sick so I, unfortunately, couldn't continue to take care of Sammy. A sick baby and a rambunctious dog is just too much for me. I felt so bad about everything. They came and picked up Sammy and now I'm laying on the couch with an icepack on my back because it hurts so bad. I took Riley back to daycare for a little bit so I could run a couple of errands and get things taken care of at the house. Her fever was gone by the time we got to the doc so the daycare was fine with her being there. :-( Boy what a horrible way to start the day. I feel so bad for Sammy and Riley. On a happier note, my best friend in England had her baby on Sunday two weeks early. Little Charlotte Mae weighed 7 lbs 5 oz and was perfectly healthy. Both mom and baby are doing great! Yay for Jennifer and David!

45: Thursday, July 1, 2010 Riley's 6 month checkup | Riley is doing great! (Except for the small cold she has). She is 27 inches tall (90th percentile for infants her age) and 18.2 lbs (85th percentile). She got two more vaccine shots and an oral vaccine and did just fine. They were really impressed with her development. I told them she was doing well on solids and had already started eating Gerber 2nd foods. They said I can try out the 3rd foods now if I wanted as well as meats, but to make sure and gauge her reactions and make sure to space out any new foods to see if she develops any allergies. They prefer that I don't introduce juice yet, but they said a couple ounces of water per day is fine if I find it necessary. I also have to start brushing Riley's new teeth! Either with a washcloth and tap water or with a fingerbrush and no-flouride paste. They left it up to me. All in all, Riley is a healthy, growing little girl! Here are the development milestones for 6-9 months of age: Daily Activities * Adores playing with balls, rattles, and squeaky toys (check) * Usually sleeps through the night (check) * Usually begins teething (check - she's got two bottom teeth already!) * May prefer some foods to others (check - definitely) * May enjoy playing with food (check) * Loves games like peek-a-boo (check - thinks peek-a-boo is hilarious) and patty cake Language Development * Babbles and squeals using single syllables (check - big on squealing) * Love to jabber (check - especially at her toys) * May recognize own name (check - but only when she wants to - hahaha) Emotional Development * May show sharp mood changes (not so much) * Displays especially strong attachment to mother (check - she wants me to come to her as soon as I walk in the door at daycare) * Develops deeper attachment to father, siblings, and other familiar people (check) * Distinguishes children from adults (check) * Smiles at other children (check - she smiles at EVERYONE) * May show fear of strangers (check - apparently she does this a lot at daycare, not so much when she is with me) * Continues to be intrigued with mirror image (check) Motor Skills * Rests on elbows (check) * Begins to sit alone (check - has done this since she was 4 1/2 months) * Sits in high chair (check - since 5 months old) * Continues to use motions leading to crawling (check - she just needs to move her arms and she'll be off like a rocket soon!) * Makes jumping motions when held in standing position (check) * Reaches with one hand (check - usually both) * Bats and grasps dangling objects (check) * Holds objects between thumb and forefinger (check - getting better at it every day) * Passes objects from one hand to another (check) Lord, she's blowing through her milestones! I can barely keep up. I never know what she'll do to surprise me next. I wish her daddy were here to see it all! I'm trying to catch everything on camera and video though. :-)

47: Monday, July 5, 2010 | I had a fantastic weekend full of peace and quiet, but I really, really missed my little girl. Riley spent the weekend with my mom and dad and had a great time. They brought her back home today. My cousin Ashley and her friend also came to visit today so we all had lots of fun and laughs. Riley is still coughing and has a runny nose, but she's as happy a baby as ever.

48: Saturday, July 10, 2010

49: All the moms and dads from the Bradley Method class I took prior to Riley's birth got together for a reunion today to introduce our little ones to each other. Riley was the only girl there. One couple was unable to make it because they moved to California and they had the only other girl in the group. Just so you know, I am not holding her... she's standing and grabbing me all by herself! ----> <--- Riley got to play in her new float today and absolutely loved it. She just sat back and chewed on her toys and kicked her feet around. So cute. | From left to right: Tanya & her husband and their 4 1/2 month old, Tucker; Jesse & her husband and their 6 month old, Noah; Me & Riley; Karla and her 6 month old, Michael; and Sandra & her husband and their 11 week old.

50: 6 Month Pictures | Sunday, July 11, 2010

51: Riley and I went to pick up the wedding pics my friend, a local photographer, had done of our wedding and she was so excited by how adorable Riley was.... she took some 6 month pics of her despite the fact that I could not pay for them. She really, really wanted to try out a new outfit she'd gotten as well as a new backdrop so I said, go ahead. Here are a few of them!!! I really really love my friend and her incredible generosity. She did an amazing job with the wedding pictures and a great job with these spur of the moment pics of Riley.

52: Thursday, July 15, 2010 | Riley's had a rough day today. She had a little bit of a fever this morning so we got a late start on the day as I waited til it went down before I took her to daycare. Apparently she was a very unhappy baby at daycare, so they called me at 1:00pm to tell me she wouldn't stop crying and that she was running a fever of 101 (temp taken under her arm). When I got there, I found out that her temp was actually 99.9 under her arm, but apparently they always add a degree. AND she was sound asleep when I arrived. So, I woke her up and took her home. I changed her diaper and took her temp the correct way (sorry about the pooper invasion Riles) and her temp was 98.3. She was happy happy happy for the next two hours and then took her bottle at 3:30 and went to sleep. She woke up 20 mins later so I laid down with her on the couch and we both took an hour long nap. She woke up pretty fussy but seems to be fine now. I think it's all pretty much due to teething and the lingering cold she has. :-( So, after a frustrating day where I lost 5 hours of work that I now have to make up because I have no more vacation or sick time, we are both up and playing with toys and watching the rain come down outside. **sigh** Anyway, since I'm bringing up her daycare, I figured it was about time I posted some pics of where she spends her days and of her teacher, Miss Laura. Enjoy!

53: Saturday, July 17, 2010 Omie came to see Riley this weekend and this afternoon, they went out to play in the pool. While they were playing, I was sitting on the edge watching them and Riley did the funniest thing ever. She started blowing raspberries on her float which of course came out as rather load farting noises. Where she learned to do this, I have no idea, but it was hilarious and she just kept on and on which made it even funnier. We got it on video but I was laughing so hard the camera kept shaking. hahaha Riley was COMPLETELY worn out after playing in the pool and getting a bath. She slept for almost 2 hours which is unheard of in the afternoon. Usually I can only get a 30 minute nap out of her. Apparently, our cat Shanks was worn out too and decided to bunk down with her sister. LOL | Riley said MAMA!! She really did! I know she has no idea what it means yet, but she said it!! She was getting a little fussy sitting in her feeding table and I was on the computer typing up the last blog post about her day. She starting talking at me and then said mama!!! She got my attention back. lol.

54: Wednesday, July 21, 2010 Okay, so on Monday, Riley had a fever that kept getting worse and worse until it hit 102.8 by 7:00 pm. I had taken her to the doctor earlier and come to find out, she had not one, but TWO ear infections! By the time her fever peaked, I was at my wits end. I called the doctor back and they said to give her Motrin, which I had none of. I ran over to the neighbors house with Riley and begged them to help me. They generously went to Walgreens for me and picked some up. Once I finally got my hands on the Infant Motrin, her fever became manageable. She even perked up a bit and was playing on the floor. At one point I looked down at her and she was crawling!!! So, after spending all day at home with Riley on Tuesday because she hadn't completely broken her fever, I was able to take her back to daycare today and go back to work. Her fever was completely gone. I then got a call at 3:00 pm telling me that she had broken out in a rash all over her body. I left work and took her back to the doctor. She not only had a rash, she had sores all over the inside of her mouth! No wonder she was refusing most of her bottles! Anyway, the doctor said to keep giving her tylenol and motrin at alternating times and to keep her on her antibiotics as her ears looked much better. Anyway, we came home and she was playing on the floor again. I looked away for a second to find the remote control and when I looked back she was pulling herself up to stand using the coffee table. This child is amazing! She did it again a few minutes later using one of her toys. Saturday, July 24, 2010 Riley is much, much better. Her ear infections are almost completely gone, her fever has not returned, the sores in her mouth are gone, her cold is gone AND her rash is now gone!!! Yay Riley! She's eating and drinking all of her food and even sleeping through the night again. I love my little girl! :-) Tuesday, July 27, 2010 So, on Sunday when Riley woke up from one of her naps, I heard her moving around on the monitor even though she wasn't crying or anything. I went in to check on her and the little squirt was standing up in her crib, hanging onto the bars and grinning as big as could be at me. I am so, so glad I decided to lower her mattress a little over a week ago. Yikes. On top of that, Riley has decided that when she wakes up in the morning (like at 3:30 or 4:00 am, when Mommy is still sleeping) that she doesn't want to lay back down in her own bed. No, she'd rather curl up to mommy and finish out sleep time that way. This morning, at 3:30 am, I was a bit frustrated when I heard her cry out... then of course, she shows off her new trick that melted mommy's heart instantly....... she started calling "momma! mom mom momma!". Lord, I'm in so much trouble. Jimmy, of course, tells me he's decided he doesn't want me to teach her dadda now. LOL. He'd rather she call for me in the middle of the night. Ha!

55: Thursday, July 29, 2010 7 Month Stats I was reading a fellow blogger mom's latest update on her 7 month old daughter and she'd listed all the latest info on her daughter's development and milestones (thanks B). I thought this was a fantastic idea and decided to do it too. So here you go! Riley is now 7 months and one week old and lord, she has grown and done so much in such a short time. I can't believe how fast time has flown by. At 7 months, Riley: *wears size 3 diapers *weighs 18lbs, 5oz and is 27 inches long *wears 6-9 month clothing *crawls *rolls both ways *pulls herself up to stand on whatever she can get a grip on and tries to take steps and move around but doesn't quite have her balance down pat yet *pushes herself up to a sitting position from laying down *has had sweet potatoes, squash, carrots, green beans, sweet peas, pears, applesauce, apples, banana, peaches, apricots, mixed berries, rice cereal, oatmeal and granola. She's a terrific eater! *She LOVES yogurt melts. Other snacks she has started eating are mum mums, puffs, graham crackers and cheerios. *for dinner she likes sweet potatoes & turkey, apples & chicken, veggies & turkey or macaroni & cheese (she's a little more picky on dinner choices - doesn't like beef or ham purees at all) *eats cereal/granola/oatmeal with fruit about an hour and a half after her first bottle, eats a jar of veggies and fruit about an hour or so after her lunch bottle, and has a jar of pureed meat with veggie or fruit after her final bottle (she drinks a total of 5 four ounce bottles a day) *goes to bed around 8-8:30pm and has also decided sleeping through the night is overrated, and has begun to wake up at least once nightly (usually around 3:00am) and cries momma! over and over until i come and get her *says momma all the time now as well as baba. *she loves to blow raspberries and blow them on mommy's arms or legs and her pool float so it makes funny farting noises. *has starting waving or holding up her right hand in the air and then slamming it down on whatever surface is in front of her over and over *giggles whenever our cat, Shanks, is near and constantly tries to catch her, but just can't crawl faster than Shanks can run... haha *has two bottom teeth and is definitely teething so more are soon on the way *still has her birthmark on the back of her head just above the top of her neck *her hair has finally grown back on the back of her head and is starting to slowly get thicker

56: I discovered today possibly the main reason why Riley is waking up in the middle of the night. She's in pain! Her entire top gumline is swollen from teeth trying to come in. Poor thing! :-( On a good note, though, the in-laws are coming for a visit this weekend. Riley will be so excited to see them! We are going to have a great time! | Friday, July 30, 2010

57: Monday, August 2, 2010 So, Riley had a fantastic weekend with the in-laws, playing, laughing, crawling and basically showing off. She even started saying Buh-Bye! It was so cute. We went to the mall twice! And mommy even got a little me-time to get her hair done and run some errands without baby. So very, very nice. :-) We also got a look at Daddy's baby book for the 1st time and were able to compare how mommy, daddy and Riley reached their milestones. It was very cool! Mommy: Arrived @ 7:33 am via cesarean and 2 wks late with Blonde hair and brown eyes Daddy: Arrived @ 9:10 am via vaginal birth and 9 days early with Black hair and blue eyes Riley: Arrived @ 1:17 pm via vaginal birth 1 week early with Black hair and blue eyes Mommy: Weighed 8 lbs 2 oz and was 20 1/2 inches tall Daddy: Weighed 7 lbs 3 oz and was 19 inches tall Riley: Weighed 8 lbs 1 oz and was 19 inches tall Mommy: was formula fed from birth Daddy: was formula fed from birth Riley: drank breastmilk until 4 1/2 months Mommy: was fed rice cereal at 9 days Daddy: was fed rice cereal @ 4 weeks Riley: was fed rice cereal @ 4 months Mommy: was fed meats & veggies @ 6 weeks and Fruit @ 3 months Daddy: was fed fruit @ 4 weeks, veggies @ 3 months and meats @ 4 months Riley: was fed fruits & veggies @ 5 months and meats @ 6 months Mommy: ate table food and drank cow's milk @ 8 months Daddy: ate table food @ 5 months and drank cow's milk at 3 1/2 months Riley: sipped water from a sippy cup @ 6 months (no table food or cow's milk yet) Mommy: weighed 21 lbs at her 6 month checkup Daddy: weighed 16 1/2 lbs and was 26 1/4 inches tall at his 6 month checkup Riley: weighed 18 lbs and 2 oz and was 27 inches tall at her 6 month checkup Mommy: Rolled from stomach to back at 17 days, and back to stomach at 5 months Daddy: Rolled from stomach to back at 2 1/2 mo, and back to stomach at 3 1/2 months Riley: Rolled from stomach to back at 3 mo, and back to stomach at 5 1/2 months Mommy: Laughed at 3 1/2 months Riley: Laughed at 3 1/2 months Mommy: Sat unsupported at 4 1/2 months, crawled at 6 months, and pulled herself up to stand at 6 months Riley: Sat unsupported at 5 months, crawled and pulled herself up to stand just before she turned 7 months old Mommy: said Mama at 6 1/2 months Daddy: said Dada at 7 1/2 months Riley: said Mama at 6 1/2 months Mommy: cut her first 2 teeth (bottom center) at 6 1/2 months Daddy: cut his first tooth at 7 1/2 months Riley: cut her first 2 teeth (bottom center) at 5 1/2 months

58: Thursday, August 5, 2010 I'm just plain exhausted Yes, I am mentally and physically exhausted. I haven't had a decent night's sleep in over two weeks - every since Riley got so sick. I thought her sleepless nights were due to teething, but I finally gave in and took her to After Hour Pediatrics last night and it turns out she now has Tonsilitis/Pharyngitis and again, I can give her nothing to help other than Tylenol and/or Motrin. It is SO frustrating! My poor little girl is just being bombarded with illnesses this last month and there's nothing I can do! Luckily, her lungs are completely clear and her ears are completely infection free. Yay! She's a trooper and is just as active as she's always been and still loves to smile and play at daycare. Last night, I was going to try the "cry it out" method to see if I could get her to sleep in her crib through the night instead of creating a habit out of coming to mommy's bed whenever she wakes up crying. Of course, after taking her to the pediatrician and finding out that her throat was red and coated in sores, I wasn't so sure that was a good idea anymore. Anyway, she went to bed around 9:30pm after one last bottle and a dose of Motrin. She woke up at 1:30am crying. I decided to try something else for now and made her a bottle and a dose of Tylenol. She drank the whole bottle and took her Tylenol and then fell back to sleep in my arms. I put her in the crib, and of course, she woke up again, but I was actually able to rub her back and soothe her back to sleep. Amazing! So, I went back to bed and a couple of minutes later, I hear the smoke alarm in the hallway start to beep - every 30 frickin seconds! Low effing battery! Are you kidding me??!! It's 2:00 am and NOW it decides to notify me it has a low frickin battery??!! Needless to say, I did NOT want it waking Riley up again, so I got out of bed, grabbed a chair to stand on and unplugged the darn thing. I then, promptly, stuffed it under the couch cushions so it would mute that annoying beep. In my defense, I did look all over the kitchen, in all the drawers and cabinets to see if I had an extra 9 volt battery first, but didn't have one anywhere. I felt like Phoebe from Friends when she smashed her alarm and it STILL kept beeping. hahaha. Luckily, the couch cushion muffled the noise enough that I was able to go back to sleep and it didn't wake Riley. I plan to get a battery on my way home from work today so the house is fire safe again. Riley did wake a couple more times through the night, but it was more like she woke, cried out and then went right back to sleep. I woke up with her every time, but I didn't have to go to her room again the rest of the night. And she woke up this morning right on time to get ready to go to daycare, smiling and happy. At least, one of us is feeling better. I just feel like crap. :-(

59: Friday, August 6, 2010 Another decent night and some good news! Riley did pretty good last night. She actually fell asleep after her 7:00pm bottle and slept for an hour, then woke up crying. I laid down on the couch with her for about 45 minutes and then took her back to her crib where she stayed down until 12:30am. I gave her another bottle and a dose of Tylenol and after about 30 minutes she went back to sleep. She woke up 2 or 3 times throughout the rest of the night, but put herself back to sleep without me getting up. Her sore throat doesn't seem to be bothering her at all, which is very good. The good news.... my mom is taking Riley home with her tonight so I can get all the packing done for our drive to Texas tomorrow night. AND so I can get a full, uninterrupted night's sleep in preparation for the long drive. God bless you mom, I LOVE YOU! We are also going to have the house bombed while we are gone to get rid of some very annoying and nasty insects that refuse to leave the premises. So, I have to put all of Riley's toys and all of the dishes and other stuff away. It will be SO MUCH easier to do all of that and get everything packed for the trip with Riley not there distracting me. :-) It might be a few days before I post again, but think good thoughts for us. This is going to be a very interesting weekend.

60: Monday, August 16, 2010 We're Back! So, it's been a pretty intense and incredible week. It started with Riley being diagnosed with Tonsilitis and packing everything up to go to Texas for my sister's wedding. Saturday night, we left Ocala around 7:30pm after Riley had eaten her dinner. She fell asleep within 30 minutes of being in the car and slept through the night until about 7:30am when we stopped for breakfast. The drive took a total of 18 hours because of the frequent stops we made, but Riley slept for 85% of it and never really got fussy except for when it was time for her bottle. I even managed to feed her a solid meal breakfast while in her carseat. Oh yeah, we're pros here. lol. By the time we go to College Station, my throat was on fire. I went to the doctor on Monday and discovered I now had tonsilitis too! Yay me! We spent all week helping my sister get all the last minute details for the wedding taken care of AND moving out of her apartment to the 2 bedroom trailer they will be living in temporarily when they return from their honeymoon in 6 weeks. Thursday, we moved to a hotel that was closer to Conroe which is near Houston and also where the wedding would be on Saturday. Friday night, my father and I left the rehearsal dinner and drove to Houston to pick up my husband. We got back after midnight and crashed. Saturday was the wedding day and completely packed with getting ready. The ceremony was incredibly beautiful and lasted a whole hour! Whew! My feet were killing me! Riley did really well though and only got fussy for the last half of it. When we left for the reception, she slept the whole way and was very good for the first hour. By that time, she was rubbing her eyes a lot and looked exhausted so I handed her over to the babysitter for the rest of the evening. When we got back to the hotel around 11:30pm. Riley had woken up for a bottle and wasn't ready to go back to sleep so she came downstairs with us and hung out with the family out by the pool as we wound down from the party. She even played in the pool! That girl truly loves water! :-) Sunday was another first for her as well. She went on her first airplane for a direct flight back home with me. She had a bottle just before we took off and by the time the plane had leveled off, she was fast asleep in my arms. She slept the whole two hours and woke just as we started to descend, but didn't make a peep. What an angel! Anyway, here are a few pictures of the beginning of the week. I will post more as soon as I can download the ones I took on my camera. Enjoy! | One day we went to the Bluebell Factory and did a tour. It was great and Riley loved it!

61: That night we went to dinner and Riley got her first taste of lemon. She made the most hilarious faces and then kept coming back for more! She ate two slices! Don't worry. She grinned every time she finished making those faces and went for another bite. I think she liked being the entertainment and center of attention.

62: Tuesday, August 17, 2010 Yay! Riley Has More Teeth... Riley finally got her two front teeth! You go girl! AND she's sleeping through the night again like she used to! (only waking up once or twice, fussing a little, and then going right back to sleep) Unfortunately, I don't have anymore pictures to post from our Texas trip and the wedding yet. My camera's download cord is currently in all the bags I left for my parents to bring back so I wouldn't have to take them on the plane. I will have some soon though! Wednesday, August 18, 2010 Exciting News! One of my coworkers just bought her daughter a new bed because she'd outgrown her twin bed. My coworker offered to GIVE us the twin bed if we wanted it for Riley's future use! How cool is that?! I said DEFINITELY yes! In other exciting news.... Riley slept through the entire night from 8:30pm to 6:30am without making a peep! Yay for sleep! Thursday, August 19, 2010 Doctor Visit I took Riley to the doctor this morning for a one month checkup on her ears. They are clean and clear and so are her lungs. Although, as of this morning, she's developed ANOTHER cold. She's been sneezing like crazy since she woke up, her nose is runny and she's a little congested. *sigh* Seriously? Geez. On another note, she now officially weighs 19 lbs and 6 oz. I love my little chunker! :-) Yesterday, I gave daycare a jar of Gerber meat sticks (kinda like vienna sausages) for Riley to try. There are 6 in a little jar. She's loving the tastes of table food I've been giving her and has done really well with the other finger foods she's tried, so I thought "why not?". When I picked her up after work, her daily update sheet said she ate the whole jar like she'd never eat again! Holy cow!

63: Monday, August 23, 2010 Weekend Update | Friday, Riley had her first "incident" at daycare. A little boy about 2 months older than her (we affectionately call him her BFF/boyfriend cause they always play together) bit her left hand. He didn't break the skin, but he did leave a couple of scrape marks on the side of her little hand. She cried, but her teacher, Miss Laura, took good care of her. Unfortunately, karma got the little boy back. Miss Laura put him in his crib while she took care of Riley and he apparently got his little leg stuck between the crib bars. She had to use hand lotion to get it out and it took quite a while. Poor thing! And poor teacher, she was a little stressed by the end of the day. All ended well though. She told me this morning that she went home and had four Fuzzy Navels. LOL. Riley did NOT have a good night Friday night. She went down about 8pm and woke up at 11:30pm crying inconsolably. I brought her to bed with me and at about 2:30am, she decided she wasn't tired anymore and started crawling all over me and blowing raspberries on my arms and cheek to wake me up. I ended up getting up and making a bottle for her and she went back to sleep after about half an hour. She woke again at 5:30am and this time, she was NOT going back to sleep. **sigh** Needless to say, mom took naps with her all day long so she could catch up on sleep. My mom came over around noon and played with Riley most of the afternoon so I could get a few household chores done. She also brought our cat, Shanks, back and Riley was absolutely enthralled. She was so excited to see Shanks, she tried to chase her around the house all day. Riley really has picked up the speed on her crawling. She actually caught the cat a couple of times. Poor Shanks! I checked the mail about mid-afternoon and Riley got a little gift from a friend of mine's daughter. The live in England and my friend's daughter is almost 2 months old. The gift was an amber teething necklace and a set of bibs. It even came with a card written from baby to Riley. How cute! I put it in Riley's baby book cause I'm sure it will be the first of many! I will post pics of Riley's new necklace along with pics from our week in Texas tonight hopefully. (IF Riley decides to go to bed and stay there before 10:00pm.) The last two nights, she has spent two hours fighting bed time. She would fall asleep in my arms, but as soon as I put her in the crib she would start screaming. Grrrr. Yes, I contemplated either throwing myself or her through the window... I NEVER would do it though! I just briefly entertained the thought and then just decided to pull my hair out, took a deep breath, and went through the rocking, singing, shhhhing routine again. She's been very congested for the last week and I went to Babies'R'Us yesterday and found some Vick's Baby Rub that I could put on her chest and back to help her out some. It really seemed to work too! She, of course, would NOT go to sleep in her crib until around 10:00pm last night, but she stayed in her crib all night until I got her up at 6:30am this morning. She did wake up a couple of times and cry out, but she went immediately back to sleep without me having to get up and check on her. She even was breathing pretty good when she got up. She wasn't near as congested and stuffy as she's been lately. Whew. Yay for sleep and vapor rub! Our neighbor and her two daughters came by yesterday to say hi as well. They played with Riley's toys and Riley and chased Shanks around the house too. The oldest girl, who's 11, brought 3 trophies she won Thursday night at her swim team banquet and they also brought some leftover food over for us. Then, last night, Riley and I went to dinner with a mom I met at my Bradley Method class while pregnant. She was in town for the weekend from California and she brought her daughter with her. Her daughter is exactly one month younger than Riley. She was born 3 weeks early and was a little over 5 lbs at birth. No worries now though. She weighs the same as Riley and, in fact, as we were leaving the restaurant, a lady asked if they were twins. Hahaha!

64: Monday, August 23, 2010 (cont) Life Lessons I Hope to Instill in Our Daughter Appreciate every gift you are given, even if it isn't something you necessarily wanted, or is not the EXACT thing you wanted. Always respect your elders, even when you don't agree with what they have to say. Feel good about yourself - your strengths, your uniqueness, your hopes/dreams, your choices/actions. And if you don't feel good, that's your internal barometer telling you that you need to change something. Usually, the hardest choice is the right one. Everything you do in life is more rewarding when you put more into it. Don't be passive. If you see someone being wronged, stand up and do the right thing, do not just sit on the sidelines and do nothing. Stand up for those who cannot do so themselves. Eat healthy now, because it's far easier to grow up healthy than to try and change your habits later on in life. Never make someone feel bad on purpose, for example, calling someone ugly or stupid. Never say the word "hate." Don't hate each other, don't hate your grandparents or the kids at school, don't hate your vegetables, your parents or yourself. You are judged by the company you keep, whether you like it or not. Try not to be judgmental of others, because the part of their lives you see is just a very small fragment of the whole picture. There will never be a time that you can look at another person and know 100% of what thoughts, emotions, and past occurences went into any given situation, and because of that, you should never pass absolute judgment on another person no matter what they have done. Be yourself and be confident about it. Don't hide your beliefs. They are yours, right or wrong, and you should be proud of them, but also be willing to listen to others and, if necessary, reevaluate those same beliefs and grow. Be respectful of others but be more respectful of yourself. Work smarter, not harder, than everyone else. Don't be afraid of anything...except creepo strangers with candy, kittens or puppies. If you want it badly enough, do the work and get it yourself. You'll appreciate the value of it much more when you've worked to achieve your goal rather than have it handed to you. When you make mistakes, learn from them. When you're angry or frustrated by what someone else has done, try putting yourself in their shoes and see it from their perspective before you lash out and say something you may regret. Learn how to compromise and pick your battles. Not every battle is worth fighting. When you love, love with all of your heart and soul. Value these three things: Love, Loyalty and Friendship. Some people will break your heart, but the best of your friends and loved ones will be there to help you piece it back together. You can talk to me about anything ANY time. Include other kids when you play and treat them fairly. Be kind to others and know that not everyone will be nice back but at least you tried. Try to figure out how to solve your problems but always be willing to ask for help when you need it. Call your mother at least once a week, no matter what!

65: Pics from my sister's wedding weekend.

66: More pics of our little cutie pie from Aunt Kelli's wedding weekend

67: Wednesday, August 25, 2010

68: Friday, August 27, 2010 Riley's a Little Flirt!!! LOL. Yesterday, when I picked Riley up from daycare, her care sheet stated that she was a flirt and a tease! Apparently, her "boyfriend" Peter (the same one that bit her last week) and her were playing and she started taking away his toys from him and then laughing! Little brat. hahaha. The teacher said it was absolutely hilarious. Riley's appetite has increased dramatically. She's drinking 6 oz of formula about every 3-4 hours. She has a whole jar of breakfast puree (i.e. cinnamon, raisin & granola or oats, apple & vanilla). She has veggies, a snack and a bottle for lunch. And then she'll eat some finger food snacks in the afternoon. Last night, for her dinner, I opened a 3rd Stage jar of Spaghetti with Meat Sauce (it's twice the size of the Stage 2 foods) and she ate the WHOLE jar of food! Then, an hour later she drank 6 oz of formula and passed out. Lord, she must be going through another growth spurt. I have to raise her jumper up to the final level because she is now flatfooted when she sits in it. When she jumps, she practically bounces herself right out of it! Crazy child. Her favorite things to play with these days are cords of any kind, bags, and purse/camera straps. She also loves, loves, loves to stand and play at her Fisher Price Learn & Grow play table. She still tries to catch the cat every chance she gets too. She's becoming a little speed demon crawler. Her cold is getting much better. She is still stuffy at night, but I found the most amazing thing at Babies R Us that has DEFINITELY helped her sleep through the night. She's not even overly stuffy when she wakes up in the morning. It's called Little Colds Baby Rub and it's good for babies 3 Months and up. I rub some on her chest and back before bedtime and she's good to go. Her new amber teething necklace from baby Charlotte in England also seems to be working great and it looks so cute on her too! I'll try and post a picture of her with it this weekend. Anyway, I think that's it for now. Hope everyone has a great weekend! We are going to try for our first trip to the beach tomorrow morning if the weather is nice. Be prepared for more pics!

70: Saturday, August 28, 2010

71: Tentative 1st toe dip in the ocean | A Day at the Beach

72: Not liking the crashing waves very much. | Time for a swim... | A Day at the Beach continued...

73: Are you sure there aren't any sharks in here? | Splish Splash | Mmm... It's salty!

74: Yes, I'm teething. | Wednesday, September 1, 2010

75: Riley has ANOTHER tooth!! That makes 5 as far as I can tell. She doesn't really like me putting my finger in her mouth to see if she has any more coming in. LOL. Her 5th tooth is the left incisor, right next to her two front teeth. Apparently it cut through yesterday because Ms. Laura, her daycare teacher said she saw a little blood and thought she had bitten her lip. Turns out it was the tooth coming through. On another note, on Sunday afternoon, our neighbors came over with their two little girls (Quinn, 8 and Elie, 4 yrs old) and they went swimming with my mom, dad and Riley. They all sat in the spa afterwards too, including Riley. We had pizza and sat around our NEW PATIO SET (table and 4 chairs) that my parents gave us for my birthday. I love it! We had a great time. Here are a few pics (including one of Riley wearing her new amber teething necklace she got from baby Charlotte in England) and a fun video of Riley playing with my mom. Apparently, she does NOT like when the rings are on her toy. They MUST remain off at all times. LOL. She truly does this every time you put the rings on it in front of her. And last, but not least, I'm adding something new to this blog. Every time I post, the last thing I will write will be my "Mommy Moments." So here goes... Mommy Moments I just have to say my two absolutely favorite parts of each day are: 1) The moment Riley wakes up in the morning, especially if I'm the one waking her up. She pulls her self up to stand in front of the bed rail and then reaches for me. When I pick her up, she is so nice and warm and she buries her head in my shoulder for a few seconds as she tries to finish waking up. 2) The moment I walk into her daycare classroom and she realizes I'm there. The smile that lights up her face is one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen and it melts my heart EVERY time.

76: Okay, latest update. Riley's cold is almost gone, but she has another ear infection. It's not bad, in fact we got it just as it was starting so no worries there. AND she now weighs 20 lbs 15.7 oz, basically 21 lbs! Riley's Halloween costume just came in the mail. I've got pictures, but I can't post them until tomorrow night as I left my download cord at home. But here's a nifty little pic I took with my camera phone at Walmart today. I found Riley her first cowgirl hat! I've entered a picture of Riley in a Gerber contest to win a $25,000 scholarship for college. You can vote once a day from one email address and one computer. It won't let you vote from two different email addresses on the same computer. Trust me, I tried. LOL. We would truly love to have your help in giving Riley the chance to win this. Please, please, please click on the following link and vote for her. It just takes a second. They will send you a follow up email to confirm your vote. Click on the link they send to confirm the vote and you're all done! It's that easy! If her picture doesn't immediately come up when you click on this link, you can search the photos and type "Riley" under the name and "Palm Harbor" under the city. She is the only picture that will pop up. Thank you again! We really, really appreciate all the help we can get! Mommy Moment: Saturday morning we went to a memorial service for a little girl who was 4 years, 9 months and 1 day old who had passed away due to Neuroblastoma. Riley came with us. We were in the church 45 minutes prior to the service starting and the service lasted about an hour and 15 minutes. Other than some happy babbling, Riley was so good through the WHOLE thing! I was so proud of her. And considering the circumstances, I couldn't help but hug her close several times because I can't even begin to (nor do I want to) imagine losing her. | Saturday, September 4, 2010

77: Sunday, September 5, 2010 So, here are pics of all the fun we had this weekend, starting off with Riley trying on her cute new Halloween costume!!! Isn't she adorable?

78: Sunday, September 5, 2010 continued... On the boat this morning. Riley was rockin' her hat, glasses and new life vest. She enjoyed the water with mommy. She dipped her pacifier in the ocean and then put it back in her mouth several times. Apparently she liked the salty taste. LOL. When we headed back to shore, Riley was completely wiped out. The bouncing of the boat didn't even wake her!

79: Mommy Moment: I love our little girl SO much! She was so good all weekend long. Putting up with mommy dressing her up in a silly costume (and getting so many hugs/kisses and pictures taken cause she was just so adorable), sitting through a two hour memorial service, going shopping with Omie and mommy, going out on a boat for the first time and playing on the beach.... the list goes on and on. I'm just overflowing with pride and I count my blessings every day that Riley is such a wonderful little girl.

80: Wednesday, September 8, 2010 Birthday Surprise! Jimmy's home from New York for two days!!! Yesterday, at work around 4pm, I got three wrapped birthday presents that mysteriously said To: Mom, From: Riley Paige. I opened the gifts and surprise, surprise it's a Barnes & Noble Nook (ebook reader), cover and book light AND a $50 gift card!!! I immediately called Jimmy and said, "Where are you?" He insisted he was home in New York. When I grilled him about it, he still insisted he wasn't here. I asked coworkers who had dropped off the gifts and no one would admit letting him in the building. Grrrr. I was so frustrated! Anyway, after picking Riley up at daycare, I came home and got her out of the car. I turned around and guess who was peeking his head out the front door.... my husband!! And to top it all off, my mother hid an Outback gift card in the house for him to find and we're going to dinner and a movie tonight while his sister watches Riley!! This is definitely becoming a FANTASTIC week for me. :-) Mommy Moment: When Riley and I walked up to the front door, she got this surprised smile on her face when she saw Jimmy. She looked back and forth between me and him with that surprised smile like she was thinking, "Is that who I think it is?". When I said, "Look Riley, that's daddy! Daddy's home!" Her entire face lit up and she reached for him. She knows daddy! They played for the next half hour and she was ecstatic the entire time. When he went outside to talk on the phone, she crawled over to the sliding glass, stood up and pounded on it with the flat of her right hand and squealed until I picked her up and took her outside too. I love my family so much!! Sunday, September 12, 2010 Riley's 1st Visit to the Zoo! So, today was really fun! Riley and I, and my friend Tina and her daughter, Savanna (who's 6 days older than Riley) went to Lowry Park Zoo today. It was $5 Sunday so we couldn't resist. It was hot, hot, HOT out. Within the first 30 minutes of arriving, both Riley and Savanna had passed out. Once they woke up, we went to the kid's section of the zoo which also had a water play area. We doused both of their hats in the water and plopped them on their heads. They loved it! We got to the zoo around 10:30 and we left about 3:30pm. It was a long, hot day, but we all had a great time. Riley and Savanna didn't really pay much attention to the animals though. :-) Here are some pics of all the fun we had. Mommy Moment: This morning, while getting Riley ready to go to the zoo, I put her tennis shoes on and then set her on her feet on the carpet. When I carefully let go of her hands, she just stood there and kept her balance without holding on to anything for almost 3 full seconds. I was so proud!!!

82: Tuesday, September 14, 2010 Mommy Moment and Teacher Appreciation So, my mommy moment today happened on the way to work. I pretty much cried most of the way in because of what I was listening to on the radio (damn hormones). The country radio jock, Cledus T. Judd wrote a letter to a teacher for his daughter who is just starting 1st grade. It really pulled my heartstrings and is too good not to share. I copied it down and adapted it just a little to fit us and our little girl. It explains exactly how I felt the first day I left her at daycare and it breaks my heart, but also fills it with so much love that there are no words that can sufficiently describe the feeling. I hope you enjoy this as much as I did. And to our daughter, I love you so much and I hope that the decisions your father and I make now and in the future help to shape your life into something you will truly appreciate and enjoy and that all the doors that will open for you will lead you to true love, heartfelt inspiration, true knowledge and happiness. There will be ups and downs, good times and bad, but hopefully, your teachers and your father and I can give you a solid foundation to stand on and trust in no matter what happens. We love you with all of our hearts. Dear Teacher, Our daughter begins school today. It's her first day away from her father and mother in all of her life. She's smart, she's learning right from wrong, and she's sensitive to those she's not familiar with. She's in your hands now. You will spend more time with her in 5 days a week than we will. You will have a chance to shape her life in ways that we can't do any longer. She is the future of our lives. We have done the best we can up to now and we love her more than I can write on this page. Words fail the limits of our love. She steps out into the world now and it begins with you, the teacher. So teach her and teach her well. Teach her that life is not fair, but it will be what she makes of it. Teach her there are many ways to look at questions that could shape her life forever. Teach her to think, to let her morals and convictions make her decisions. Teach her that for every wrong there is a right and how to find it. Teach her how to find the joy in people that are different from her, the beauty of learning, and the simple pleasure to be found in watching a butterfly spread it's wings. That angles and areas are important, where the world is located and why the universe is unlimited. Teach her how to play well with others and to share. Teach her to never stop learning. Teach her not to hit, hate or even judge others before getting to know them. Teach her to hunger for knowledge and that it's always at her fingertips. And that for every killer, there is a savior, for every bigot there's a Martin Luther King and for every bad teacher, there is a great one and how to know the difference. I know there is nothing good enough in the world for a truly great teacher and nothing bad enough for a bad one, but she does not know that. She will accept you with open arms because she has been told thus far to trust unless given a reason not to. Please be the same way with her and we will be here if you need us. Together, we can build a fine young woman from this small child God has given us. We promise never to put you to blame if you promise us you will never teach her things you know are wrong just because they are in a curriculum. Teach her, coach her and mold her into something we can all be proud of. We will do our part, but it is mostly up to you now for she will learn and live what you teach her from here on out. So here she is, ready, eager, willing and trusting. Be kind to her. She is a wonderful little girl. Enjoy our precious daughter and mentor her. Whatever happens here is up to more than us now, it is up to her and the teachers she has throughout the rest of her life. Thank you so much for helping her to build the strong foundation she will need to stand on in order to succeed in life. Riley's Mom and Dad

83: Wednesday, September 15, 2010 Back to the Doctor... AGAIN Yes, Riley is sick again. Stuffy and runny nose, cough, etc etc. No fever though. I took her back to the doctor because I was afraid that the antibiotics she was on for the last 10 days just masked the symptoms she had prior to going on the meds and that possibly she might have something worse than a cold since her cough never actually got better. Nothing to worry my little head over apparently, it's just a normal cold. The doctor told me that there are 300 different types of cold viruses out there..... so, Riley only has 295 left to get. Oh... yay. He said it's normal and that babies typically get 10 to 15 colds a year. ARE YOU SERIOUS? That is insane. I'm going insane. Geeeeeeez. Anyway, she now weighs 21 lbs and 6 ounces. She has officially cut two more teeth as of last night and her official total now is 7. It looks like there are three more up top that are starting to bulge out too, so let the teething screams begin again as well. Gotta love it. God, I need some sleep. Wish us luck. Friday, September 17, 2010 Short Update... Riley is still really sick and has had a few bad nights because she can't breathe and is coughing so much. She's been sleeping with mommy as it seems to be more comforting for her, even if it means mommy doesn't get much sleep. If she follows the normal pattern, things shouldn't get any worse over the next few days. In fact, hopefully, she should start improving by Sunday or Monday. Crossing my fingers here. I hate seeing our baby girl so miserable at night. I say, at night, because she is as perky, smiley and playful as ever during the day. It's amazing actually. It's literally like night and day. haha. My mom and dad are taking her for the weekend as a birthday gift to me, so I should be able to catch up on some much needed rest and get some work done around the house. Wish us luck! Mommy Moment: One thing has been made very clear to me in the last 9 months... You will cry more after the birth of your child than you ever have in your life. I swear to God, something makes me tear up every single day - from a song on the radio, to something I read on Facebook. WTF? Mom is picking Riley up from daycare today and taking her to Ocala for the weekend. Am I feeling some relief for the nice break? Oh hell no, I'm sitting at my desk crying about it knowing they are on their way to Ocala now. I've officially gone nuts.

84: Monday, September 20, 2010 Birthday Update / Riley Might Need Tubes Well, the weekend's over and it's Monday again. :-( Started the day off with a migraine too. *sigh* I want the weekend back. Riley's sounding a little better. She's still congested and coughing, but it's not near as bad as it was last week. Hopefully, she's on the mend and we can get back on schedule. She had a good time at Omie and Opie's over the weekend. Omie came and picked her up from daycare Friday afternoon. From what I hear, Riley played and played and played all weekend long. She even kept Omie and Opie up until 10:30 every night, but she at least slept in until around 8:00 every morning. She's getting closer and closer to walking. Omie said there were a couple of times when she needed to get to something or someone and had to take an extra step without holding on to something... and she did it! I'm so proud of our little girl. Of course, when she came home yesterday afternoon, she'd had about an hour nap and then slept for another hour on the drive back home. By 6:30, she crashed after her bottle and I thought I'd be lucky enough to have the evening free to finish some stuff up around the house and cook myself some dinner. Nope. She woke up 30 minutes later and then slept for another 45 minutes in mommy's arms. When I tried to lay her back down in the crib, she wanted none of it. In fact, she felt it would be a good idea to bounce off the walls for the next 2 HOURS. I finally got her back into her crib, fast asleep, by 11:00pm. And...... 15 minutes later she was in bed with mommy for the night because she was inconsolably crying and wouldn't go back to sleep otherwise. Hence, the migraine I woke up with this morning. Of course, Friday evening for me was a nice, quiet and very relaxing evening. I got up Saturday and stopped by two garage sales where I found two very cool large toys for Riley and only spent $8! Then I went to a Graphic Design workshop for three hours, which I loved! After that, I went to lunch with several school friends I hadn't seen in forever. Then I visited some old coworker friends at Tampa Palms where I used to work about 4 years ago. THEN, I went to a mommy friend's house and had homemade Spaghetti with her and her family and afterwards, we left for a mommy's night out and went to see "Eat, Pray, Love" at the movie theater. Very good movie by the way. Gotta love the chick flicks! Sunday morning, I spent hanging pictures and doing laundry until Riley came home. All in all, I very much enjoyed my weekend. I just wish it could've lasted longer, but don't we all. LOL. So, I got a call from daycare around 12:30 today and Riley was running a fever of 101.4. They told me I had to come and pick her up. I called the doctor because he told me to bring her back in if she spiked a fever because it could mean an ear infection. Sure enough, an ear infection in one of her ears was starting up. He gave me the number of an Ear, Nose and Throat doctor to call and make an appointment with. He strongly suggested I do this just in case Riley may need tubes. He said it's unusual for an infant under 9 months to have already had 4 or 5 ear infections. :-( Guess I will give them a call tomorrow and let you know more as I find out what is going on. Despite Riley being sick, she still always has the energy to play. Here are a few pictures of Riley with her two new toys and a video of her walking unassisted with her push toy. She would walk it across the room then pout until I turned the toy around so she could walk to the other side of the room. Enjoy!

85: Mine, mine, mine! These are all MINE mommy! :-)

86: Friday, September 24, 2010 Finally! Riley is definitely getting better. She's still a little stopped up and coughing, but all in all doing well. Yesterday, we went to Babies R Us cause I had a bunch of coupons I wanted to use and we were out of formula and wipes and were getting low on diapers too. Apparently Similac has recalled all of their powdered formula, so there was none to be found... anywhere. I ended up having to buy a case of the liquid ready-made bottles which, of course, cost $13 more! It better last more than a week or I'm gonna be one pissed momma. Anyway, while there, I found a wedge that can be placed under the crib mattress and it works under pack & play mats as well. My friend, Tina, has one of these for her daughter to help her sleep at night and since we've gone almost 2 weeks with Riley waking up, crying, and refusing to go back to sleep in her crib (either due to teething, her ears hurting, congestion or a combination of all three), I figured what the heck let's give it a try. OH MY GOD. It worked!!! Riley went down last night around 8:45pm and she slept clear through until I woke her up this morning around 6:00am. YAY! Finally, a good night's sleep for both of us! Wish us luck today. Riley's appointment with the ENT doctor is at 4:00 pm to check her ears and determine if she will need tubes. I'll post an update on what is said later tonight. Update: The Verdict is in... Riley needs to have tubes after all. *sigh* I'm not sure how I feel about this. Part of me is happy cause it means a lot less ear infections occurring, the other part of me is scared to death cause they will be putting her under gas anesthesia for 5 to 10 minutes and are going to make an incision on her ear drum in order to insert the tubes. It hasn't really sunk in yet, but the thought of our daughter going under general anesthesia and into surgery scares the daylights out of me. I have no idea how I'm going to handle the actual day of surgery. And yes, the day is actually set. She is due to have surgery in just a little over a week on Tuesday, Oct 5th! They also informed me when they found out she has her 9 month well check on the 1st that she can not have any vaccinations prior to surgery as it could effect the anesthesia. Soooo.... now I have to reschedule either her well-check or just the vaccinations. I'll probably just reschedule the well-check appointment because I can't afford any more time off from work. As it is, I have to figure out how I'm going to deal with having to take an entire day off for the day of surgery. They don't actually give you an appointment time until the day before and they say to be prepared to spend several hours at the surgery center. On a good note though, Riley will be back to normal and able to return to daycare the following day. I hate that I have to stress about making up work hours when I should be focusing on Riley's well being. Some days I feel like such a horrible mom. Okay, that's all I'm going to say for now. I still need to process all of this and do a little more research.

87: Saturday, September 25, 2010 A Fun Day!... So, Riley did NOT sleep through the night last night. She woke up around midnight and again around 1am. I gave in and brought her back to bed with me. We got up around 7 am and started our day. It actually turned out to be a very fun day. Riley and I joined Tina and Savannah for a trip to the MOSI museum (a first for Riley, myself and Savannah). We got to see some fun exhibits and a butterfly garden. We had lunch at Chili's and took a trip to Babies R Us where I discovered during a rather laughable moment, that Riley has apparently cut two more teeth! Topside second tooth to the left and bottom left incisor. That makes 9 teeth! Wow. Here are a few pictures of the fun we had:

88: Monday, September 27, 2010 Poor Riley just can't win... Well, Riley had a really good night last night. She went down about 6:45 and stayed down until I woke her up out of a sound sleep this morning. She was a little fussy and rubbing her eyes, but I attributed it to the fact that I'd just woken her up from her sweet dreams. By the time I got her to daycare, her teacher commented that her left eye was a little puffy and red, but she seemed fine. By 10:30 am, daycare called me to say her eye was definitely swollen and watering badly and Riley wouldn't quit rubbing it. So, I left work and ran her over to the pediatrician to get her checked out. Apparently, she scratched her eye right smack dab in the center of her cornea. :-( Because of the location of the scratch, her pediatrician said that I needed to call an Opthalmologist and have it checked out so we can make sure she hasn't done anything that could affect her long term vision. In the meantime, he gave me a prescription for an ointment that has to be applied to her eye 4 times daily. I spent the next hour and a half calling three different opthalmologists. One said immediately that they had no physicians available today. The second office was closed and the third office was over an hour away and didn't accept Riley's insurance. So I called the first office back and basically begged for an appointment. They said that right now the earliest appointments they had were being booked for January. After a few minutes, the lady came back on the phone and told me she could try to squeeze Riley in at 1:30 pm tomorrow but that we would likely be waiting there for several hours. Guess I'm taking the afternoon off from work. I just hope this is nothing serious and that it will heal quickly and right back to normal. Poor Riley. Tuesday, September 28, 2010 Riley is MUCH better! This morning, her eye was barely puffy and she seemed much happier. She wasn't rubbing it as much and it was no longer red. I put her ointment in and daycare did as well at noon. I picked her up from daycare at 12:30 to head over to the doctor's office in St Pete. Her appointment was for 1:30, but they warned me ahead of time that I might be waiting for an hour or more cause they were trying to fit her in. I was okay with that. I just wanted to make sure her eye was okay. So, we got there at 1:25 and waited about an hour and a half before we got called. The doctor took a strip with drops on it and placed it on her eye. It's the same stuff her pediatrician applied when we saw him yesterday. The doctor then shined a blacklight over her eyes and whatever the drops touched glowed. Yesterday, the abrasion in the center of her eye was very obviously glowing. Today, nothing. NO ABRASION! The doctor looked closer with several lenses and said that if I hadn't told him she had scratched herself, he never would've known. He said he could barely see a slight irregularity at the edge of her cornea, but wasn't sure if that was from the scratch as he hadn't seen what we saw yesterday. He gave her a clean bill of health. We were in his office all of 5 minutes. I'm so so so so so glad she's just fine. It looks like the ointment worked perfectly and her eye is pretty much all healed. On a lighter note, today when I picked Riley up from daycare, she was playing with Peter (the kid that bit her hand last month). I don't know what happened but suddenly he laid down on the floor and started crying. Ms. Laura and I looked at each other and back at the kids. Riley was standing by the toy shelf and she sat down next to Peter. She then laid her hand on his back and started rubbing it, then looked up at us. Peter was still crying and Riley had this look on her face like she couldn't decide whether to come to me like she usually does when I walk in or continue soothing Peter. She looked back at Peter and then started patting him on the head. Sadly, since she doesn't yet have full control over her motor skills, it was more like she was whacking him on the back of the head, but I guess it's the thought that counts. It was so cute and as Riley crawled away to come to me, Peter got up and walked behind her to gate, all better. Riley is such a sweetheart!!

Sizes: mini|medium|large|colossal
Default User
  • By: Jennifer M.
  • Joined: almost 9 years ago
  • Published Mixbooks: 6
No contributors

About This Mixbook

  • Title: Smiley Riley - Volume I
  • Our daughter's 1st year from January - September 2010.
  • Tags: None
  • Published: over 8 years ago

Your coupon FAVS19
is now applied.