Up to 50% + More! Up to 50% Everything + More! Code: JANFAVS Ends: 1/20 Details

  1. Help
Up to 50% + More! Up to 50% Everything + More! Code: JANFAVS Ends: 1/20 Details


Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.

Douglas - Page Text Content

S: Douglas Family Ancestry


FC: Douglas

2: Mable Arlene Curtis Leon Melba Catherine Wilburn Cleatus James Wesley Mary Francis Waymon Joe | John Wilburn Douglas | Lydia Ann Tyler | James Gray Douglas | Julia Catherine Wilson | John Wesley Tyler | Sarah Elnor Gill | John Terry Douglas | Martha Jane Meals | Henry Thompson Wilson | Lucinda Story | Thomas Jefferson Tyler | Nancy Carolyn Swafford | Bryant F. Douglas | Rhonda StegaldJohnson | Lewis Meals | Mary A. Weaver | James Tyler | Eliza Ann Chumney | John William Swafford | Mary Susan Fields | Alfred Gill | Nancy J Manley | John B. Wilson | Sarah Sally Caffey | James Story | Euradice Ann Rogers

3: John Rabon Douglas | Elizabeth Curtis | Elias Wade Tyler | Ann Yearwood | James Douglas | Dorcas Smith | John Douglas | Mary Houtchens | James Smith | Samuel Meals | Winnie J Hoover | George Weaver | Mary Maria | John Caffey | Elizabeth Buchanan | Edward Houchin | Aner Hannah Hutchins

4: Top Row: Lewis Meals & Mary Weaver Middle Row: Juila Catherine Wilson and Children (Oscar, Ruby, Wilburn, Clarence) Bottom Row: John Wilburn Douglas & Lydia Ann Tyler | Family Ancestry

5: Top Row: John Wesley Tyler & Sarah Elnor Gill, and Children Middle Row: Tyler Family Bottom Row: Mable, Curtis, Melba, Cleatus, James, Mary, Joe (John and Lydia's Children)

8: As a child I was a daddy's boy who always followed him around. I was there following him around the day my daddy got sick and had to follow him home. Dr. Golf who had a "pot gut" came out, he didn't know how to be a doctor, he kept shooting him with morphine. He died from a tumor on the brain when I was 10. As a child I was stubborn. I hated to get my ears washed, and I was always dirty. Momma had to get me ready last because I would get dirty before it was time to go. Momma always said I was stubborn but I didn't think so. They just always wanted me to do things I didn't want to do. I was never athletic and couldn't climb trees like my brother Joe. The first chores I remember were gathering eggs and feeding chickens when I was about 3 years old. When I was six they made me a "full hand of field" because I was big enough to carry a sack. I had to chop cotton and fill it "plum full" until they were about 50-60 lbs. Then we would drag it to the truck and get another sack. As children we were always working right beside our mother and when we got slow she would catch us up. Also I would work in the garden cutting and gathering corn. I took the "down row", when the wagon ran over the corn I would pick up the corn off the stocks that were knocked down. In the winter time we had to chop wood. We had different chores, some would feed the animals (cows, mules, chickens). Once when we switched no one would switch me off milking the cow. I hated it because the cow would hit me with her tail and coca burs would get all over me. It was the hottest job to have in the summertime and the coldest in the wintertime. I could milk with both hands and it wouldn't take long to get a gallon of milk. But by the time I was done she would stick her foot in it. When I was about 10 years old I had the chicken pox and remember filling bumps all over my belly. | His Story | Wilburn Cleatus Douglas was the fourth child of John Wilburn Douglas and Lydia Ann Tyler born on May 21, 1927 at home on Route 2 in Juno, TN.

9: Edward Crownover was one of my childhood friends and we went to school together in the 5th or 6th grade. Once we got into a fight and he hit me on in the face and afterwards his sister beat me up. We were fighting over a game we were playing with a swing and a tire. He was a goodfeller. (Cross eyed) Grady Jr. Douglas was another friend that I went to school with at the same time. We did everything together (rode bike, swung on grape vine, played in gullies, played ball, worked on farm until Grady's family got a tractor and then he just rode in the tractor while I plowed mule) and his daddy was like my second daddy. He was a long time friend who lived near them. His daddy owned a big farm and they had money. They had a car and two or three teams of mules and we had one. After daddy died, Grady Senior took over and helped us youngins. Grady Sr. always called James "J.W." He would get on us just like we were one of his kids but he never was mean to us. He would get down on his knees and explain to us what we did wrong. Walter Jr. Douglas was a school mate (4th-8th grade) and we did most of our playing in school. We bought our first radio from his daddy and had to put a antenna on it. Walter Jr.'s voice would pitch up and down and people would laugh at him and he would say" if anybody says my voice change just tell him its just a damn lie." He moved to Memphis and worked at an SO Service Station and always wore a suit and tie. Walter Calf Johnson was another school mate and he was a nut. He was Walter Jr's first cousin. He used to draw Jigs and Maggie (cartoon in the funny paper) and one day Walter was showing me how to draw them in class and the teacher snuck up on us and caught us and knocked our heads together. I didn’t say nothing but Walter talked back and got kicked out of school until he would apologize. Another day we were talking and the teacher threw a crayon at us and it stuck to the seat. He said, "gosh if that hit one of us it would have killed us" He threw it like a bullet. All of us used to play ball and catch June flies (bugs) tie a string to them and let them fly around. Went to school in Juno in a school house with two rooms and a cloak room (for coats). Black boards raised up to divide them. We had chapel every day and had to remember a verse every day. My favorite was "Jesus wept" because it was the shortest one I could find. The teachers were Betsey Lipscomb, Granville Bartholomew, Chester Steven, Glades DeBerry, Virginia Scott, Marynelle Chalk. Took nine years to get to the 8th grade because I didn't like to get up in front of the class and speak about my book report. After 8th grade I wasn't going to high school and then when all of my friends went I decided I wanted to go but Momma wouldn't let me because I didn't have books. But I really just wanted to go the first day. | So I went over to the saw mill making 50 cents an hour taking slabs off a saw and throwing them into a pile. They worked the "tar out of me". After that I had to stack lumber, cross ties, and switch ties. After working all day I would walk 3 miles home and then every morning I got up and walked 3 miles back. I worked about 12 hours a day and didn't get to sit down. Every once and while we went Antioch Primitive Baptist Church. Used to call 'em Hard Shell (the women wore head coverings and once they were married they had to do whatever the men told them too. They weren't aloud to wear pants or lead anything in Church). We only went once a month when daddy was living and after it was so far away and we had to sell the T-model truck so all we had was mules. Then we went to Popular Springs Methodist church. My Uncle Clarence lead the singing. Still it was far and church was at night. They had revivals that would last 2 or 3 weeks sometimes two months. We would go to Bush Arbors and cover up a spot and make a shelter for shade for revivals.

10: When I was 18 I got drafted into the U.S. Army. When I was in line doing the exams a guy said "if anyone wants to go to the navy step out the side door". Me and another guy busted through the door. I was looking for a way out and I took it. We got on a bus and went to Chattanooga and when we got to the post office we were sworn in. Then they put us on a train that took five days to get to San Diego. There we had boot camp for six weeks. They sent our old clothes home and momma wondered why I didn't just burn them up because they were so dirty. They gave us clothes that didn't fit. We had to dry the clothes up on the mast pole and wash our own clothes. When boot camp was over I got two weeks leave and got to wear my new uniform. I thought I was sharp in that uniform. I just visited friends and family and borrowed Leon's car when I didn't even know how to drive and took Momma to see Aunt Lela Jackson in Gibson County. After leave was over I went back to San Diego and went to the receiving station for a month. While I was there he went to an old marine station that they were destroying and helped tear it down. Then I got assigned to the USS Brush. | "If anyone wants to go to the navy, step out the side door"

12: They put me on the deck force scrubbing decks and chipping paint. I met a boy John Denier who worked in the engine room. I sat down to talk to him and got in trouble so I asked Denier how to get a job where he was at where he got the chance to sit down and look at the ocean. Denier asked his officer if they needed help in the engine room and he said he did and so I transferred down. We worked 4 hours on 8 hours off. | BRUSH | In the engine room you check pressure, oil, leaks, fix things, whatever to keep the engine running. On my time off I slept, read books, worked in the machine shop working the metal lathe. Never was good at playing poker, didn't have enough money, and didn't like to bet my money but I would set around and watch others play poker. In the navy when you got a rate you had to go to school. If you didn't pass the test you didn't get a raise so you had to study. | The Chance | to sit down | and look | at the | Ocean | USS

13: The first year I got two raises: fireman first cruise and machinist mate third class. On the USS Brush we went to Guam and China (back and forth) then we went to Hong Chong. I even got to shoot marbles with the Chinese and they were amazed that we knew how to play. The toilets were just holes in the ground. When I was in Shang Hi, me and Denier signed up to go on a sight seeing trip to the Capital. We flew up on a DC 3 and the engine died. But they got it landed and we got on a different plane and made it. While we were there we had lunch with officers and I was scared to death. I ate lunch with Admirals and I was dropping everything I was so scared. When we got back from China I got discharged and went home. I couldn't find a job so I signed back up and went back in.

14: We went from a train in Lexington to South Carolina marine station. While we were there we made an Enlisted Mans club by remodeling a gym. After that we got on USS Weeks (a destroyer) and went up to Norfolk, VA and transferred to USS Holder (DD819). Then we went down to work in the engine room again. The first two weeks we went to Annapolis and then took two weeks up to England (Port Smith). When we were there we went on the HMS Victoria for a tour. Then we took two weeks back to Norfolk and then two weeks back to Annapolis and then two weeks to Cherbourg, France. We stayed two weeks and went on liberty(vacation). We just goofed around. Then we went two weeks back to Norfolk. Other places that he went to was Cuba, Jamaica, Mediterranean (Isle of Crete), Italy, Sicily, Monaco (wedding crashers), Macina (they had some good cheese covered in red wax), France, and northern Europe. One time we went up to North Atlantic for three weeks and it was the roughest ride. You had to hang on the whole time because if you let go you would get slammed. "I was never so glad to get back to port in all my life". Salt was caked on the ship really thick and we bout to never get it clean off. | Taken in China. He brought back a scarf that is the background of this page.

15: While I was on the holder I found out I had abscess (infection) on my kidney and had to go to the hospital and stay three weeks. They gave me so much penicillin I got allergic to it. When I got ready to go back to the ship I was out playing ping pong and I pulled up my sleeves to play and then I couldn't pull them down because my arms were swelled up (allergic reaction). I would not take my discharge until they had put it in my record because I didn't know what would happen after because they were testing on me. I didn't renew my contract because I was doing the duties of the chief and they weren't paying me for it. One day when I had liberty I wanted to get a head start off the ship and tried to get another guy do another job because I didn't want to get my uniform dirty. When an ensin came by he caught the guy doing my job and made me redo the job. So after I put in a transfer chit and the ensin wouldn't sign it so I told him "I will get off of here because my time will be up soon and I will take a discharge." Then I made the biggest mistake I ever made. I came home and I intended on going back after my 30 day leave but I fiddled around and quit. But it ended up being ok because then I met | Martha Carrington

16: I met her one night down at Jones' café. I was with my girlfriend Betty Jean and she walked by me and tail flipped her skirt at me and said ,"so you’re the famous Cleat Douglas". The next week we started going out on dates sitting in the back seat of the car. We would ride around going place to place. Everyone was doing the same thing. We would go to honkey tonks, declarations, movies. After awhile it became apparent that we would get married. I decided one day that I was going to go get her a ring, it cost $100. The day I went out to pick her up to get married I had on a sharp blue suit and had my hair cut. As I started out of the house her daddy was coming in and stopped me and asked ,"Son, now are you sure you know what your doing?" I said, "Yes." | "So you're the famous Cleat Douglas" | Martha Carrington

17: We drove down to Mississippi and paid $2 to the Justice of the Peace. We went back by Henderson and had fried chicken that Mable had made. After dinner we went to Wall and Jones Motel. The next day I took her back home and there was a declaration at Bible Hill. I met all of her family and I felt like Loretta Lynn (everyone knew what we did the night before). Later we ended up back at the apartment at North Rembert in Memphis. It was a nice but crowed place and had to share the bathroom with 5-6 college girls. We didn't stay long, about a month, because the girls left their clothes all over the bathroom and Martha didn't like that. During the day I would drywall and she would go over to her sisters or my sister Mary's. | "Son, are you sure you know what you're doing?" "Yes"

18: After a year of being married we found out that we were expecting. We moved to Louisville and prepared for the arrival of Catherine Anne Douglas. We made practice runs to the hospital to see how long it would take. On the day Martha said "we need to go" and we left in a hurry. I dropped her off and parked and then waited in the waiting room. I didn't see anything until they brought her out, " she was the prettiest baby". | Catherine Ann Douglas May 12, 1956 Louisville, Ky

19: We moved to Memphis. I worked for Lindi Air a place where they made oxygen. I got the job when the union went on strike. When the strike was over I went back up to Louisville to work with my brother Joe at Southern Drywall. Martha found out she was expecting again. Then Joe called again and asked me to come to Lexington to work for Silliman Drywall Company. Lexington was a place where you couldn't build houses fast enough. In 1957 we worked out on Georgetown Rd. and we stayed busy. In 1958 we built Open Gate (Open Gate for 58). After that we built Stone Wall Subdivision walking one house to another (Stone Wall time for 59). 1960 we did Eastland Parkway (Dixie for 60). In1964 me and Joe started Douglas Drywall.

20: In May of 1958 Martha gave birth to Don Wilburn Douglas. When Martha got ready to go to the hospital we were going to drop Cathy off at Tootsies (Virginia Douglas) house and when we got there I grabbed Cathy and hopped over the fence and fell on the concrete with her in my arms got hurt. When we got to the hospital I sat out in the waiting room with Joe until they brought him out. I could see him but he couldn't hold him because it was unsanitary. | Don Wilburn Douglas May 1, 1958 Lexington, KY

21: In February of 1965 Martha gave birth to their last child Sherry Lynn Douglas. At the hospital waiting with me was Joe and Charlie Anness. When she was about 3 weeks old there was a big snow. I was driving and the car went out on me and so I bundled her up in all we could and had to walk home. I was afraid she was going to freeze to death. | Sherry Lynn Douglas February 8, 1965 Lexington, KY

22: When I met Cleat at Jones Restaurant in Lexington, TN. It was a place that a lot of high school kids and young adults went, a place where you could dance and visit. It had a juke box and you put a coin in the slot and picked your favorite song. Cleat was dating a girl I went to High School with, her name was Betty Jean Colwick. She lived on the Bible Hill Road. Not a lot of entertainment in Parsons or Lexington. It was my first time to go to Jones Restaurant. My parents were pretty strict. A friend talked me into going with a couple of girls. Guess that was my lucky night since I met cleat there. Cleat nor I could dance, so we just sat at tabled and visited with friends. In Parsons we only has May's Café and the Do-Drop-In. May's Café was on main street and had the best Hot-Dogs I ever ate. I never went to a restaurant that sold beer. We would cruise the town on Saturday night in Cleat's 1951 Tan Ford. One Saturday afternoon Cleat asked me if I could find a date for his brother James who was home on leave from the Army and we would drive to Nashville for the Grand Old Opry. So I asked Betty Jo Wallace a good friend of mine and lived just down the road from my house. She called her mom and they said she could go. Cleat and I planned to be married in a couple of weeks. They started dating and married about 6 months later when James was on his next leave. | Her Story | Martha Lee Carrington August 8, 1936 Parsons, TN

23: Cleat and I married as soon as I graduated from High School on May 22, 1954. Cleat had shopped for us an apartment in Memphis, TN. It was so nice and clean, and he chose our 1st apartment all by himself. Furnished apartment with all utilities paid for $55.00 a month. The apartment was just off Popular Boulevard on North Rembert Street. We lived there only a short time because we shared the bathroom with 2 other apartments and all were girls. We went to lots of movies in Memphis. Cleat loved Drive In Movies. We had no televisions. We also went to the Memphis Zoo on Sunday afternoons. Elvis Presley was just starting his career, and the outside show was free once you paid to get into the zoo. | We also went on lots of picnics. Cherokee Park was a beautiful place for picnics. Millington Naval base was also a place we went for Sunday afternoon entertainment. They did a lot of air shows and we also took our picnic lunch. Joe and Tootsie were dating, so we visited and went to the park with them also. In august Joe and Tootsie got married and moved to Louisville, Ky. Joe called Cleat and asked him to move to Louisville and work with him at Southern Dry-wall Company. I had just found out we were expecting our 1st child. That was the fall of 1955, we packed up, Cleat had trades cars so we had a 1953 blue and white Bel-Air Chevrolet we drove to Louisville, Ky. Tootsie and I would take picnic lunches and set with Cleat and Joe when they worked on Sunday.

24: On May 12, 1956 Catherine Ann Douglas was added to our family. We were so proud of our beautiful baby girl. In January 1957 work became slow, so we moved back to Lexington, TN for a few weeks, then my uncle Elihu Rigsby called Cleat and said they needed help at Lindi Air products. Cleat went to Memphis and applied for the job and we moved he next week back to Memphis. Joe and Tootsie moved to Lexington, Ky and was expecting their 2nd child. One day Joe called Cleat and said "no shortage of work in Lexington, Ky." A housing shortage IBM was just starting. Selling house as fast as they could be built. The had bought a Mobile Home. So Cleat and I went shopping in Memphis for a Mobile Home. The trailer sales moved out home to Lexington for $500.00. Cleat came on up to Lexington and worked for a week. I packed up our things and sold our furniture and we had just found out that we were expecting our 2nd child. On Friday night Cleat came down to pick up Cathy and I. Joe, Tootsie, Debbie, and Donna all came down with him. We rented a little trailer to put our things in and all 7 of us rode back to Lexington, Ky in that 1953 Bell-Air. No seat belts, no car seats for the little ones. Our mobile home arrived the next week. Joe and Cleat set it up and we moved in our new home. Our son Don Wilburn Douglas was born on May 1, 1958. We felt we had our family, he was also a beautiful baby also. We lived in the mobile home until we bought our 1st real home at 1673 Brittany Lane.

25: We had started to Church at Epworth United Methodist Church the summer of 1958, Cleat was so busy working. They called the subdivisions that were under construction: Open Gate for 58, Stonewall for 59, Dixie for 60. Cathy's 1st year of school was a new school called Cardinal Valley Elementary. Great neighbors and friends. I was busy with PTA. We did floats for 4th of July Parade. Great Life, Fun Times. | Epworth United Methodist Church

26: In the fall of 1964 much to our surprise we found out another baby was on the way. We were excited. Joe and Tootsie had 4 kids by this time and my brother Joe and his wife Brooksy also were in town with 2 kids. So when we all got together we had a lot of family birthday parties. Cleat came home one day and said, "I traded our house today. It is not build yet so we have some time. You can pick out the colors and do all the decorating." So before Sherry Lynn Douglas arrived we were in our new house 568 Lin-Wal Drive. Again great neighbors, and on February 8, 1965 Sherry arrived. Another beautiful baby girl. We had so many visitors to see her, I was worn out and need some rest. Cathy and Don were in Mary Todd School. Busy times with Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, Choirs, Piano Lessons, Baseball and other sports. Cleat worked and I was busy getting Cathy and Don to all their functions. Sherry went along for the ride and loved it. In 1976 Cleat decided we would make another move. He and Joe had bought a Lot and build a house on it. They needed to sell the house. We put our house up for sale and it sold in a couple of weeks so we moved to 114 Carolyn Lane Nicholasville, Ky

27: Cathy and Don both graduated from Bryan Station High School and Sherry did most of her school time in Jessamine County. She was also very busy in school. Cathy graduated from the University of Kentucky with a micro biology degree and Don got an associate degree from UK in Business. Sherry graduated from Asbury College with a degree in Elementary Education. We made many trips to Tennessee tailgating Joe and his family. Cleat and Joe had many speeding tickets on those trips. Many memories. | I feel we had a good life, after retirement for Cleat he volunteered for Habitat for Humanity and he went on several missions trips to Costa Rica. Cathy and Don also went on some of those trips with him. He had so much fun with the mission team. Worked doing repairs at our church. Had his work shop and made furniture, baby cradles, and toys. He loved his garden. We also did quite a bit of traveling to see family and friends. We went to over 20 USS Brush reunions all in different states. We went to Hawaii for our 25th Anniversary and went to 4 Islands and were gone 17 days. We also did an Alaskan Cruise for our 50th Anniversary. Kids all have families of their own. We have 5 grandsons, 2 granddaughters, 2 step- granddaughters, and 3 great grandchildren. Wonderful Life. I miss him so and I lost him May 14th, 2010- 8 days before our 56th Wedding Anniversary.

28: Our Children Cathy, Don, Sherry

Sizes: mini|medium|large|gigantic
Elizabeth Jenkins
  • By: Elizabeth J.
  • Joined: about 9 years ago
  • Published Mixbooks: 1
No contributors

About This Mixbook

  • Title: Douglas
  • Words of my grandfather before his death on May 14, 2010. His story was completed by my grandmother the following year. This book is not finished.
  • Tags: None
  • Published: over 8 years ago