Get up to 50% Off + MORE! Code: MML18 Ends: 5/28 Details

  1. Help
Get up to 50% Off + MORE! Code: MML18 Ends: 5/28 Details

Family History

Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.

Family History - Page Text Content

S: Bruce and Doris (Fry) Roark "The early years"

FC: Bruce and Doris (Fry) Roark "The Early Years"

1: The Early History of John Bruce Roark and Doris Mabel (Fry) Roark John Bruce Roark 1911 to 1995 Doris Mabel (Fry) Roark 1914 to 2010 as told t0 Bonnie Jean (Roark) Williamson

2: Right:Top and bottom Dad and Mom Bottom Left Lower: Back: Fred, Dan, Bruce, Russ, Foster Front: Dad and Mom

3: Sketches From My Life by John Bruce Roark 1911 to 1996 I was born in Aquilla, Texas, a small suburb of Waco, on Nov. 26, 1911. I was born at home. My mother's name was Mary Watt. She came from Scotland, I didn't know anything about her parents. She was born in 1886 and had a twin sister and 2 half-brothers. She left Scotland at the age of 15 aboard a freighter and she was terribly sick the whole 13-day trip. She came to live with one of her half-brothers, but never saw her twin sister again. She had been married to a Mr. Hines, before she married Dad in 1903. One of her sons was named Robert Hines. She and Dad were married in 1903. Mother never worked outside the home, but did all the things homemakers did at that time. One of the things she did was make quilts. We have 2 hand-sewn quilt tops that went to my to daughters, Pat and Bonnie. She was described in later years as 5 ft. tall and 5 ft.wide. She died of a heart attack in 1936 at the age of 50.

4: Grandpa Roark with car in Texas | Bruce's Dad | Grandpa and Grandma (Mary)

5: Dad was born in Kentucky on Aug 14, 1870. His Dad's name was James W. Roark and was also from Kentucky. He was raised by his step-mother. He and his brothers would play jokes on her. She got mad and ran the boys off. Granddad was a tall, well built man and he was a farmer. My Dad was married a total of 4 times, once before Mom. The first marriage produced a son, Daniel Foster Roark (call Foster). Dad worked as a Dairyman and in an ice making plant. He lost an eye and had one glass eye, that he could remove. I enjoyed Dad singing on the front porch on a warm summer night. It was discovered he had Tuberculosis and the doctor told him to get out in the country. This must have worked as he never had any more problems. After Mom's death, he moved to Los Angeles. He then married our neighbor, Elma. This lasted a short time. He later married Mary, who was his companion until his death in 1962 at the age of 92. Mary died 6 months later at the same age. Dad with his old car, by a tree, and with Mary in their later years

6: Back row: Dan, Bruce, Doris, Fred, Cecilia, Russ Front row: Mary, Dad, Mom, Foster Front: Ruth (granddaughter) | Russ, Me, and Fred in the goat cart. | Dan, Me, Fred, Russ and Dad in Los Angeles

7: The following children were the result of the union between Mom and Dad: Name Date Born Date Died One sister about 1905 13 months R.B.(Russell) Jan 9, 1908 Dec 21, 1966 Fred May 11, 1909 June 4, 1982 John Bruce Nov. 26, 1911 March 22, 1996 D. W. (Daniel Webster) July i, 1915 July 12, 1968 My first memory was moving from Waco to LaRue, Texas when I was 6 years old. The first 2 years we lived in the country, 2 miles from town. The owner of the Ice Plant where Dad worked, got Dad to move out to his place. It was better, but it was 3 miles out. We lived there many years. There was no electricity or running water in many of the houses we lived in. I learned to milk a cow when I was 7 years old. There were chickens, cows, and horses to care for. There was no part of my childhood or teen years that I did not enjoy. We had work and chores, but we always had time for playing and fun. The toy I remember best was a wagon. We had a goat and hitched him up to the wagon. He quickly learned if he would go up on the chicken house roof, he could dump us out of the wagon.

8: I started public school at the age of 7. It was a five-room school. There were grades 1st through 10th. Each classroom had 2 grades. I liked my 1st grade teacher, whose name was Mrs. Chandlers. We had 2 15 minute recesses and an hour for lunch. We lived 3 miles from school and walked. There were usually 8 of us. Often we argued and fought. One of the families lived down the road 1 mile. They grew sugar cane. We played a lot there because of the big piles of trailing (dried leaves from the sugar cane). One day, one of the boys, Snoden Denny fell into a hole that had hot skimmings from cooking the syrup. He was burned from the waist down and was never able to walk again. When I was 8, my half- brother, Robert, drowned at Coleman, Texas. He was hauling supplies for the railroad. He was driving a wagon pulled by 4 mules. They all drowned in a flash flood. He was only 22 years old. I named my son after him. When I was 10, we started to travel by wagon to Glen Rose, Texas to my Granddad's house. It was a 85 miles. After only 1 day out, we got to the Trinity River.

9: It was flooded and we had to turn around and go back home. To keep us boys from being too disappointed, Dad bought each of us a knife. One week later we were able to make the trip. It took us 3 days each way. It was the only time I saw my Granddad. Christmas was the main holiday I remember. We got a shoe-box full of candy and goodies to eat. We celebrated Xmas with fireworks. Texas was not part of the union when the Declaration of Independence was signed, so we did not celebrate the 4th of July. During the summer and fall, we would go fishing and eat the various kinds of fruit that grew wild. To name a few: there were plums, huckleberries, grapes, and blackberries. Sometimes we would find a 'Bee Tree'. We would go back and get buckets for the honey from the bees. We would go hunting for the wasps and yellow jackets. We would make paddles out of shingles. We'd swing at the wasps, but sometimes we would miss and get stung. We would hunt squirrels and rabbits. In the winter, we would hunt opossums be- cause that's the only time their hides would be prime.

10: I kept 2 traps set between home and school hoping to catch an opossum, which I did quite often. I would leave it in the trap and take it home after school. One day I caught a raccoon. I didn't go to school that day so I could skin it and take care of the hide. After it dried, I shipped it to a fur buyer. I got $13.00 for that hide. We generally got $2.00 to $4.00 for the opossum hide. Boy I felt rich. I was fishing with my friends one day when I saw a rabbit run into a hollow log. I reached in and was bitten by a water moccasin. My friends put me on a horse and took me home. The country doctor put "pot ash" on it and wrapped It up. When my half-brother, Foster, who had just returned from the service, arrived at our house, he had me take the wrap off. The pot ash had eaten away the flesh and my finger was permanently bent, with a flesh web. This was my right index finger. It kept me out of the service because it was my trigger finger, but it didn't stop me from hunting, which I enjoyed for many, many years. Deer and Elk hunting was one thing that I really enjoyed when we moved to Oregon. We also enjoyed eating the meat.

11: When I was about 13 years old, we moved into a nice place near town. This brought a better social life for me. The next year, two friends, Gratin Willifred and Cloe Hallmark, and I decided we would go "west" and get rich picking cotton. We hitchhiked and walked for days. It rained the 7 days we were gone. We couldn't pick any cotton and we like to have starved to death. We were so glad to get home. I never ran away from home again. I graduated from high school with 11 other students from LaRue High School after the 10th grade in 1927.

12: The football coach from Athens came to LaRue to see if I would like to play football. I told him I did not know, as I had never seen a football and I knew nothing about the game. He gave me a football and told me to play with it for the summer. Graydon, Cloe, and I went to Athens to the ball practice. Two days before practice ended, the captain of the team asked me If I would stay with him at his private home. The offer included room and board, clothes and spending money. Of coarse I said "YES!!!" I was the only one of the 3 of us to make the team. This is how I finished the 11th and 12th grades at Athens. I enjoyed the time very much, but the only problem was I was hungry all the time. The family dished up the meals on each person's plate. My Mother had always told me it was good manners to leave a bit of food on the plate to show the cook that she served enough food. I always left food on the plate, but was never full during any of those 2 years. After graduating, Gilbert Otts, a friend, and I went to Huntsville to see about getting a job and going to

13: college that summer. No luck! I tried to borrow $300. Also no luck! If I had gone to college that summer, I could have taught school that fall. While we were in Huntsville, we visited a prison. Some joker talked me into sitting in the Electric Chair. Then someone jerked the curtain closed. I didn't know I could move so fast. Dad and I before I moved Cecilia and Russ and to L. A. the house in L.A. Since I couldn't afford to go to collage, I went to Los Angeles to live with my brother, Russ, his wife Cecilia, and their daughter, Ruth. My first job was with a small firm that gave me checks that bounced.

14: Then I got a job at U.S. Rubber Company. and worked with the chemicals needed to make rubber. One evening a friend and I were walking down the street. I saw a group of young people from the Westland Methodist Church. They were having so much fun , I decided to go to the evening church service. It was there I met the "Love of my Life", Doris Fry, as I lovingly called "Dodo" for many years. She was singing in the Youth church choir and after she spotted me, I was a goner. I'll let her tell the rest of the story. Youth Group from Westland Methodist Church in Los Angeles, CA in about 1930 (Doris back, left)

15: John Bruce Roark 1932, age 21 Dodo (Doris) and I dating in L.A.

16: Doris Mabel Fry Toronto, Canada 1915 | Dad's brother Fred and his wife Annie | Mom's and sister, Gertie and Charley Mountain with son Ronnie

17: Sketches From My Life by Doris Mabel (Fry) Roark I arrived in the world in Toronto, Ontario, Canada on October 7 1914. I was lucky as I had a big brother and friend. Edgar Maurice Fry was born April 2, 1910. My mother was born (I think) in Ipswick, England in November, 1884. Her maiden name was Mabel Edith Knight. She had one sister, Gertrude Knight Mountain, and two brothers, older brother Fred and baby brother Harry. Dad was born in or near Norwich, England on June 2, 1884. He had one sister, I only knew of as "Ciss, and three brothers, Ted, Fred and Bert. At Christmas we always sent candies, fruit. nuts, and such to Aunt Ciss for the making of Plum (Christmas) Pudding. I do not remember any of my Grandparents. I remember my dad speaking of his having what I think was a pub. While I don't remember him talking about his mother, he did say his father was killed when he fell off of a roof. I understand my Grandmother Knight lived with us in Canada when I was young. None of Dad's folks came to Canada, but all of Mom's folks came

18: Mom and Dad all dressed up in Los Angeles, 1934 | Mom, as a young women, in one of her fancy hats

19: to Canada. I do remember my Uncle Harry as being very musical. I don't remember my mother ever talking about her dad or what they did in England. My Mother was a tailor, working mainly on men's suits. She was also a milliner. Hats were very stylish then, and how she did love fancy hats. I remember pictures of her in lovely hats. She was so pretty. Dad was a printer by trade in England. He was having health problems due to the damp English weather. The doctor recommended a change in climate, so decided to move to Canada. He had a friend in Canada, a Mr. Johnson, who was a printer and assured him of a job. When his health improved and he had saved some enough money, he sent for Mom. They had courted (as they called it in those days). She came over on a steamship to be married. On board ship, she made friends with a young couple, Frank and Elsie Starling. They were the grandparents of Hugh MacKelheny famous football star in the 1950's. They became friends for life. Mom and Dad were married in June, 1909 in Toronto.

20: Edith Mabel Knight Fry, William Fry, Edgar Maurice Fry and Doris Mabel Fry (age 4) Canada 1918

21: When I was 6 years old we moved to California. Again health issues call for a move. I had Pneumonia 3 times and the doctor recommended a change of climate, this time for me. By then Dad's friend, Mr. Johnson, had moved to Los Angeles, California. Dad had kept in contact with him. Soon he had a job in California, so off we went. My memories of Canada were few. I do remember our house having stairs and a neighbor we would visit had children to play with. I attended Kindergarten in Canada. We traveled to California by train. Other than our personal belongings in trunks, the only thing my folks had shipped was our oak player piano. How I wish we had that! Our train trip was quite an experience yet what I remember most were the comic books. Eddie and I were given them to entertain us on the trip. They were the first I had ever seen. California was different with wide streets, bungalows rather than two-story homes, palm trees and lots and lots of sunshine. The weather then was beautiful. We never heard of "Smog". We rented a house on 63rd Street, but soon moved to our home at 121 W. 90th St.

22: Me with 2 friends at J.C. Fremont High School | Me with one of our cars | Aren't I cool?

23: Although we did move from this house, I went to 3 grade schools. We lived on the boarder between the schools, so we were moved to which ever school had the smallest enrollment. I attended South Park, Manchester and 97th Street schools. I never remem- ber minding which school I attended as it involved the whole neighborhood. Though we lived in L.A., we were like a small town. Manchester and Broadway had a theater, all types of stores, and medical needs including a hospital. Our church, Westland Methodist Church, was on 89th St. That's where I met Bruce, but that comes later in my story. I attended Lathrop Jr. High in Santa Anna. We lived 2 years in Corona Del Mar and Santa Anna, so Eddie could go to Santa Anna J.C, I went to Washington High School in L.A. until the enrollment increase and I was transfered to Fremont High where I graduated in in 1933. I have wonderful memories of my growing-up years. We as a family did so many interesting things. Although we always had a car, it was usually parked in the garage except on week-ends and special trips. Dad always rode the Street Car to work. Mother did not

24: Relatives and activities on our Vacations | Me on Vaudeville singing "In My Sweet Little Alice Blue Gown" | Me and my wonderful brother Eddie 1930

25: drive so she used the street car and later the buses for her transportation. Usually on Friday afternoon, Mom, Eddie and I would ride to town to meet Dad after work. It was a special day as we would eat dinner in a restaurant or a cafeteria, then go to a movie or a Broadway play. I remember looking at Dad as we rode home and thinking how lucky I was to have "my dad". We took wonderful vacations every summer. We did so many interesting things. We had trips to Yosemite, Coronado, Catalina, but our most memorable was our trip back to Toronto, Canada when I was 16 years old. I was especially impressed with Standford University in Palo Alto, Chicago, and of course meeting my aunts, uncles, and cousins too numerous to mention. There were lots of parties and good times. We traveled across country in a 1929 Chevy sedan. Niagara Falls was a very impressive site. Both Eddie and I took piano lessons and dancing lessons. A fun time was when we were a vaudeville act. We performed after the movie, so we able to see the show first. As I remember we were paid according to our ranking by applause of the audience. It was exciting, but I have no idea how much we were paid, not that that was not what was important.

26: Wonderful life sand, surf, sun and lots of family and friends | Pack-Em-Inn lunch or dinner | Friends and I | Eddie and I with friends

27: Corona Del Mar, located on the coast near Laguna, was a very important part of our lives. Dad bought the property when it was an open field. He built a cabin we called "Pack-Em-Inn" and this we did. There were no stores so Eddie and I used to row a boat to the island to purchase groceries. Sometimes we bought groceries and other needs for people, or even rowed them to the island to shop. It was fun and productive. I was about 10 years old then. When school was out, Mom, Eddie and I would move out to the cabin for the summer. Dad would come down from L.A. (about 40 miles) every week-end on the Red Car. We spent all our time on the beach. We would sun, surf and sand. We made our own surf boards for skimming along in the shallow water and riding the waves. We had a group young people we would meet and with which we would spend the day. We had lots of company on the week-ends, sometimes as many as 20 young people. The girls would sleep inside the cabin and the boys on the beach. During the school year we went their on many week-ends. We were always allowed to bring a friend. We would always get home in time for church. It was an unwritten

28: Mom(left) | Eddie & I | Eddie and I | Me | Ruth Chittenden & I | Dad (l) Mom and I (center)

29: law that if you spent the day at the cabin, you showed up to sing in our Youth Choir. Sometimes friends were sunburned or tired - but they were there, if they hoped to be invited back to the cabin. It was a wonderful time growing up. Now Corona Del Mar is a beautiful community. I remember well when my Dad had small-pox. He was taken from our home to what they called "The Pest House" We were allowed to see him when he got better but was still in quarantine. We visited outdoors, separated by a 10 ft. fence. Then there was the time we were at a youth meeting in downtown L.A. First Dad got sick, then I, then Eddie. We had food poisoning and ended up in the hospital. Mother was having problems with her stomach, so she ate soup instead of what she fed us. The sad part was that investigators came out to question her about what she had fed us and why she hadn't eaten it herself. Through the test they found out it was the hamburger. The depression hit in 1929. We were fortunate that Dad always had a job. We saw so many that lost so much,

30: Westland Methodist Youth Group | Stella and I | My High School Graduation Picture | Bruce and I

31: homes, cars, everything, and even could not pay for their life insurance. On a happier note, we had a wonderful youth group in our church, which took care of our social life and love life. That is, of course, where I met Bruce. We dated, fell in love, and became engaged. The only problem was I went on a 2 week vacation just after we met. When I got back, Bruce was dating Stella. I put a quick end to that and then it was smooth sailing. Bruce had come from Texas to live with his brother Russ and family, on 89th Street. My graduation from high school was a very high point in my life. Bruce and I had been going together for about a year. He asked me if I would accept an engagement ring for graduation. I was overjoyed and so in love. We saved "Our" money and bought a very small diamond ring. I had been working at the Grand Central Market in L.A. on Sat. at the Coffee Shop. My boss put a note in my graduation gift (silk stockings) asking me to work full time starting Monday. I think I was making $12.00 a week. With the depression I was so very lucky. Ed, Ginny. Bruce and I were very close and we all ended up working at Grand Central Market; Bruce

32: Ed and Ginnie's Wedding Bruce and I were the attendants | Jan 14, 1934, Santa Anna. CA Marriage of Doris Fry and Bruce Roark Doris with her Parents

33: and Eddie worked in the butcher counter on Sat., as they both had other jobs. Ginny worked at the bakery. We had such wonderful times together. This is New Years Day, 1994. We had a wonderful Holiday season. Thanksgiving day we were with Pat and her family, plus Bonnie, Bob and and Hilary. We also celebrated Bruce's 82 Birthday. Our Christmas get-together was at our mobile. There were 22 present including our 3 children, 6 grandchildren, and our 7 great-grandchildren. It was a very enjoyable day. We are now looking forward to our 60th wedding anniversary on Jan. 14th But now back to the past. Ed and Ginny were married at a lovely church wedding in Nov. 1933. We were in the wedding party.They were so Happy in their home. We just caught the marriage bug. Bruce and I decided to elope, as our funds were short. We took Mom and Dad with us and were married on Jan 14, 1934 in a little chapel in Santa Anna, California. I continued to live with my folks and Bruce with his brother until we saved some money. With a little help from the folks, we were soon able to

34: Patricia Mae Roark | Pat holding Bonnie | Bonnie Jean Roark

35: purchase our first home. It was not fancy - but it was ours. And so our life together began. Our first born, Patricia Mae, was born on Oct. 6, 1935. What a joy! She was so beautiful and so healthy. She weighted 9 lbs, 2 oz. When she was about one year old, We lost Bruce's Mother. She was only in her early 50s. She was short and round and died suddenly of a heart attack. Bruce was very close to his Mother and her death at such an early age hit him hard. He improved and life went on. We enjoyed our Pat so much we decided we needed more family. Our Bonnie Jean arrived on June 8, 1939. With labor induced, she was born on her due date and weighted a nice 7 lbs. 8oz. She was so welcome in our family. Pat was so motherly towards Bonnie, and Bonnie would do anything for Pat. They were so very close. They were also loved and enjoyed by my Mom and Dad, which they called Bamboo and Grandy We were also close to Ed and Ginny, who had Barry, 6 months younger than our Pat, and Darlene, 8 months older that our Bonnie. Bruce's health continued to give us problems. He was working at U.S. Rubber Company and also a service station to make some more money.

36: Me holding Bonnie, Ginny holding Darlene: Pat and Barry | Pat, Grandy, Bamboo Bonnie in front On Redondo Beach, CA | Pat and Grandy on Long Beach

37: A kind old Doctor suggested he go back to the life like he lived in Texas and get out of the rate race in Los Angeles. Another move for health reasons. This is Nov. 25, 1998. This is a day to remember the past. Tomorrow would have been Bruce's 86th Birthday. I lost Bruce on March 22, 1995. He had a very peaceful death with no pain. He just collapsed and died of a heart attack. I still miss him and think of him often. I was so thankful to have him until 83. Life goes on and I am so thankful for my family. They have been so wonderful, I am now 83 and in good heath. I keep very busy. I found I was not good at home alone, so I got very involved. I mall walk 3 days a week, do aerobics 2 days a week, Play Pinochle with Mercy Auxiliary, and our park group. I also do some volunteer work serving old people at the Friendly Kitchen. I taken many day trips with the Prime timers.Had a delightful Caribbean Cruse With Pat and Bonnie, then a cruise to Catalonia and Ensenada, with my friend Felicia. Trips to Bob's time-share in Bend, Hawaii with Pat and Family, trip to Reno including my friends Rose, Helen, and Nell. I haven't struck it rich yet. Now back to the past.

38: Bonnie, Pat and Dad on tractor in Umpqua. | Bonnie with one of our calves | Patty Mae | Patty and Bonnie

39: When Bonnie was 1 year old, Bruce, Pat, and I took a trip to visit friends in Oregon. We left Bonnie with Ruby and Russ where she had lots of attention and love. We visited the Munson's in Umpqua and Ruth and Orv Madison in Gaston. Dad fell in love with the Umpqua Valley near Roseburg, OR. We went home, sold our house, and about a year later we showed up at Munson's with our personal belonging and two twin beds, one for Pat and Bonnie and the other for us. A new life for me had begun. . . We moved into a migrant worker's home, which was also being used as a sheep shed. The sheep didn't know it was ours now. Bruce's health improved immediately. He worked for Mr. Munson for $1.00 a day. We soon moved next to Faye and Tim Conn, where we rented for $5.00 a month. It was a much nicer house, but it had no running water or electricity. This was in Umpqua, 18 miles from Roseburg on a gravel road. The summer went well. Mom and Dad came to visit, and it must have broke there heart to see us living like this, but we were young and happy. With Faye's help, I canned100 quarts of produce.

40: Bruce and Ethyl Wynter, Pam and David "Bruce (Roark) was the best friend I ever had" | Robert Bruce Roark | Now our family was really complete ! | Pat's first grade teacher

41: We canned all kinds of food. The winter seemed so long. I was so thankful for our 2 daughters. We moved closer to town and made a new group of wonderful friends. Pat started kindergarten at Riversdale Grade School with Ethyl Wynter as her teacher. Ethyl and Bruce Wynter turned out to be good & lifelong friends. I has a miscarriage about that time. The little boy was 7 months along. I fell on my stomach and we lost him. We decided that our two girls would by our family. The "War" started Dec 4, 1941. Bruce had to get into defense work or be drafted. We moved back to Los Angeles. This delighted Grandy and Bamboo. Bruce worked as a welder in the oil fields and I worked in a defense plant. Our goal was to make enough money that we could by a house in the country when we returned to Oregon. Bruce was put on limited service because of his snake-bitten trigger-finger Then our joy was overwhelming, when on February 20,1944, our son Robert Bruce was born. Now our family was really complete. Bob was named after Bruce's half-brother Robert, who at 22 was killed in a flash-flood while he was herding cattle in Texas.

42: KoKo and Bob | Shorty and Lela Riley | Jo and Art Myers and family with us on Thanksgiving | Ted and Ida Burr | Bob, Bobbie, Darlene, Pat and Barry

43: Bruce's whole family had moved to the L.A. area by then. His father married 2 more times, the last to Mary with whom he lived until his death at 92 years of age. We visited with: Russ and Ruby and family; Ed and Ginny and family; Aunt Gertie and Uncle Charlie and family: Uncle Dan and Uncle Fred. This is beside my folks and Bruce's folks. Much to my folk's dismay, we moved back to Roseburg in 1945. Mom said "I WILL NOT COME UP TO VISIT YOU!" But she did. We moved into downtown area of Roseburg. We moved into 741 Main St. Bruce's job was at Shorty's Wrecking Yard. We became very close to Shorty (Print) and Lila Riley. We became involved as Charter Members of the Roseburg Moose Lodge. Our close friends there were Johnny and Louise Fleck. We were also square-dancing and playing cards with Jo and Art Myers. We stayed home one night and enjoyed it so much, we decided to drop some of our outside activities and spend more time with our family. We continued to play card with Jo and Art, but we took the kids along. They had 4 kids.

44: Pat "Queen of the May" | Bonnie "Cheerleader" | First house on Main St. Grandy and Bamboo moved in when we moved out | 2nd house on Main Street Lived there until Bob graduated

45: About 3 years after we moved back, Grandy and Bamboo moved up and into our old little house on Main Street and we moved 2 houses to the South. Holbrook's house was in between the 2 houses. The kids grew up in a wonderful neighborhood with lots of playmates. We stayed in that house until the kids were grown-up. After school and evenings were filled with hide-and-seek, playing dolls and trucks, balls, skates, bikes, and climbing the tree in Holbrook's back yard. The swimming pool was built next to Rose Grade School. We enjoyed all the time we spent there. The kids all attended Rose School with it's colors "Rose and Grey". Pat was in the 5th grade, Bonnie in the 1st, and Bob was just 2 . When Pat was in the end of the 5th grade, she was elected "Queen of the May". At the May Day Festival we all danced the May Pole Dance. Her escort was Bill Rouse, our neighbor. (He was so good looking.) Bonnie became Cheerleader and Bob played football. Dad's Wrecking Auto Glass brought him together with Mr. Berry, who was opening Roseburg Glass Company. When Mike wrote his 1st paycheck it was written to Dad.

46: Bonnie in 4-H | Boys in Holbrook's tree | Neighborhood kids

47: Many, many years later, when Mike retired, he wrote his very last check to Dad. Dad retired too. I led 4-H groups for both the girls including Sewing. Cooking, Baking and Home Improvement. Pat excelled in baking and won a blue ribbon for her bread-baking. Bonnie's interest was in sewing, where she won the Reserved Champion in the Style Show. Both the girls went to the State Fair to represent Douglas County. Bob's interest was in football, swimming and fishing. He belonged to Cub Scouts with Harl Kelley as his leader. The Kelley Kids became our friends, Lonita (Kelly), Bill, and Morris. I worked part time . The first was gift-wrapping during the Christmas Season in Miller's Department Store. Then I worked in the women's and the children's sections from 11:00am to 4:00pm. After the kids left for school I would have time to do laundry and clean, then I would take the bus down town. I would work until 4:00pm and catch the bus home and get there shortly after Bonnie. Bob had football practice. and Pat had her high school activities.

48: Dad and Mom the front porch | Mom at Heceta Beach, OR | Mom relaxing at my home. | Mom with 2 week old Darin Joseph Thonstad

49: Bonnie's Note Mom and Dad lived many, many happy, healthy years. They built 3 homes. After Dad retired, they spent 12 winters is Mesa, Arizona. Mom took up oil painting and they did lots of traveling. They loved their 6 Grand- children and 9 Great-grandchildren. Mom lived to be 95.5 years and by that time she had 3 Great-great-grandsons. Four days before she passed away, she held her 2-week old, 3rd great-great-grandson Darin Joseph. Two days before she passed away she played Bingo and had her hair done. Thank you, Mom and Dad for being such wonderful people and parents. We all had a wonderful childhood and we think life is "Happily Ever After." Love you, Bonnie Jean (Roark) Williamson {P.S. And mom, keep those quarters coming; they make me smile!}

Sizes: mini|medium|large|massive
Bonnie Williamson
  • By: Bonnie W.
  • Joined: over 7 years ago
  • Published Mixbooks: 2
No contributors

About This Mixbook

  • Title: Family History
  • Tags: None
  • Started: almost 7 years ago
  • Updated: almost 6 years ago