Enjoy up to 50% Off + MORE! Code: MOMSHIP Ends: 4/23 Details

Family History

Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.

Family History - Page Text Content


BC: Family is not an important thing, it is every thing. Families are like fudge...mostly sweet, with some nuts. Family is like branches on a tree, we all grow in different directions yet, our roots remain as one. Having somewhere to go is home, having someone to love is family, having both is a blessing. Family is the glue that holds everything together. Family is like music, some high notes, some low notes, but always a beautiful song. An ounce of blood is worth more than a pound of friendship. Family is a link to the past and a bridge to the future.


1: My Dear Children, Grandchildren, Great-grandchildren & all future generations: | Researching the lives of my ancestors made me realize the tremendous responsibility I have had as their descendant. Many of them lived under horrible conditions and were murdered just because they were Jewish and clung to their beliefs. If they would have given in and become not frum then I would not be who I am today. They worked so hard to make sure the TORAH would not be forgotten by future generations. One cannot help but be inspired to follow in their footsteps. They passed down a legacy from 3000 years ago and gave us the responsibility of continuing that chain. I am proud to have been trusted with the sacred honor of continuing the traditions that my ancestors fought to pass down, allowing me to be a link in the chain started by Matan Torah. Writing about my ancestors has made me more aware of my responsibility to do everything in my power to make sure it continues unbroken for future generations. | As I continue to watch the family grow and the grandchildren reaching new levels of maturity I reap an enormous amount of Nachas. May we be zocheh to share in many simchas together and always be there for each other.

2: Great Grandparents | Grandparents | Parents

3: Great Grandparents | Grandparents | Parents

4: A LIVING LEGACY A living legacy? But is not a legacy an inheritance from the past? From those who are no longer among the living? Undeniably, when an inheritance is financial or material, it is limited by the realities of the material world - the realities of death, separation and the mourning of that which is no longer alive. It is limited by its ability to last, for once used, it is forever gone. Yet when the inheritance is spiritual in nature, its infinite wealth stretches on and on... Rather than decreasing in measure and potency with the passage of time and generations, it is not only renewed but constantly strengthened and expanded upon by the inheritors whose lives are inspired and fueled by the legacy they were granted. A living legacy? Certainly. For whatever I do, wherever I go, and indeed, all that I am, is a living expression of the strengths that I have been blessed to inherit from my forefathers. As I continue to proceed through life, it is my hope and prayer that I will merit to invigorate the legacy I have been given, even as it enlivens me. I hope that I will merit to walk in the light of the past as I continue to forge ahead into the future. Most significantly, I await the day when those of my ancestors whose neshomos have ascended to the heavens, will be returned to the existence on earth, with the coming of MoshiachTzidkeinu! The living legacy will live on forever.

5: The Schenkolewski Family | My Great-Grandfather was born in 1831. He had several brothers, one called Meier who died as a bochur, several others who left Poland for a better life, and went to America. Unfortunately, they could not withstand the nisyonos of the new world and none of them or their descendants remained frum. However, financially they were very successful. They shortened their name to Schenk and went into the movie industry. They were the ones to open up all the Loew's theaters that still exist today. At that time Moshe Schenkolewski was living with his wife and children in Geretz, Poland in dire poverty. He also suffered | The earliest member of the Schenkolewski family that I have a record of is my Great-Great-Grandfather R' Zecharia Schenkolewski who died on April 1, 1859 in Pleschen, Prussia which is today Poland. His wife was Freeda Schenkolewski born March 1, 1808 in Geretz, Poland. Their daughter Chana was born in Pleschen on April 4, 1849. Chana and her mother Freeda moved to Hamburg, Germany where Freeda died in December 1890 and was buried in Hamburg.

6: greatly from Anti-Semitism. His brothers were constantly begging him to come to America where life as they saw it was absolutely wonderful. They claimed no Anti-Semitism and much easier to make a living. They offered to send him a ticket. My Great-Grandfather did not know what to do. He told them if you send me a round-trip ticket, I will come to check it out. If I like it I will stay, if not I will go back. In 1873 my Great-Grandfather left Poland without his wife and children and traveled to America. He traveled from Germany to Liverpool, boarding the ship named Batavia,traveling steerage. He arrived in New York on August 25, 1873. His brothers were delighted to see him and tried to make everything very comfortable for him. However, he very soon realized that as far as Gashmius was concerned it definitely was a great improvement, but as far as Ruchnius was concerned it was severely lacking. His brother's families had all left Yiddishkeit and after approximately a year, he made the decision to go back to Poland. I owe him tremendous HAKARAS HATOV for who I am today. In 1876, he moved to Hamburg, Germany with his wife, children, mother and wife's mother(Mina Cohen.) Moshe Schenkolewski had five children. Three boys and two girls. His oldest, a girl Roiza married R' Simcha Kish. His second daughter married R' Yaakov Grossman from Pressburg. His son Zecharia married Fanny Rothchild. His second son Yisroel Zeev died as a young boy while they were still in Poland, and his third son Mordechai,became my grandfather who married Chava Koschland, my Grandmother. Moshe Schenkolewski upon arriving in Hamburg, opened up a dry goods store which eventually his two sons took over. I was told by Rabbi Borchardt who frequently visited the store as a child with his father that every day when it was time for Minccha and Maariv they would close the store and go to daven with a Minyan. Whenever there wasn't a customer in the store the two brothers would sit and learn TORAH together.

7: My Great Grandfather, Moshe Schenkolewski & My Great Grandmother Baila Schenkolewski

8: MOSHE SCHENKOLEWSKI MOVES TO YERUSHALAIM | In 1890 my Great Grandfather decided to move to Yerushalayim.He joined a group that was going but due to many difficulties the group trip failed. It was tremendous Mesiras Nefesh to undertake such a journey alone but my Great Grandfather was very determined and left. At that time his youngest son, my Grandfather got married. He left his wife in Germany to help the young couple get settled. He told his wife after a year she must come to Eretz Yisroel to live. The dry goods business he gave over to his two sons. At the end of the year my Great Grandfather sent her a letter reminding her that the year was up and she must come. My Great Grandmother did not want to leave her children and grandchildren. She was definitely aware that once she leaves, there was no coming back. After 2 years when she did not come, my Great Grandfather sent her another letter notifying her that if she does not leave immediately he will give her a GET. She finally realized she had no choice and got ready to leave. Her son Zecharia accompanied her part of the way and after 14 days she arrived in Eretz Yisroel. In 1895 at the request of my Grandmother, My Great Grandfather took a picture of himself dressed in Yerushalmi clothing which I am Zocheh to have today. My Great Grandparents lived in the old city of Yerushalayim next door to R' Yosef Chaim Sonnenfeld who was the Rav of the Eidah Chareidei of Eretz Yisroel. They lived in Batai Machsa right next to the Yeshivat HaKosel. They lived extremely simply, a considerable difference between the lifestyle they had lived in Germany. The water they used had to be gotten from the pits which stored the rainwater. They were extremely poor and life was very hard. My Great Grandfather never left Eretz Yisroel. He never even left the holy city of Yerushalayim. In July 1901 my Grandfather went to visit his parents. When he left to return to Germany, my Great Grandfather only escorted him to the end of Yerushalayim. His mother escorted him all the way to the port in Yaffa. Three years later my Great Grandfather became blind. Every day he would immerse himself in a cold Mikvah and as a result caught a severe cold, which for no apparent reason

9: caused his blindness. My Great Grandmother died in July 1912. I remember my father telling me that my Great Grandfather remarried as he needed someone to take care of him. During World War 1 times were extremely difficult for the Jews in Eretz Yisroel. The sons in Germany aware of the difficult conditions sent large amounts of money to help their father survive but unfortunately the money was never received. The years my Great Grandfather spent in Yerushalayim were years of enormous spiritual elevation. Years spent only on TAHARAS HAKODESH. He received a letter from his sister who asked him, "What are you doing in Eretz Yisroel?" He answered, "What is there for a Jew to do but learn TORAH." The letter is still in existence today, which I personally have. During his last few years he lived in Batai Ungaren in Meah Shearim. He died in December 1915 and is buried with his 1st wife on Har Hazeisim one level down from Uncle Selig and Tanta Leah's kevorim. My parents are on the same line as my aunt & uncle. Today you can still see a plaque in Yeshivas Meah Shearim which says that he donated 1000 marks to the yeshiva. He also took out a loan on his house to give money for R' Shmuel Salant, the Rav of Yerushalayim. The house can be found next to the Churvah Shul of Rabbi Yehudah Hachosid. Most of the descendants of my Great Grandparents live today in Eretz Yisroel.The descendants of my father and my father's Uncle Zecharia can mostly be found in Lakewood, New Jersey and Brooklyn N.Y. If my Great Grandfather would be alive today he would shep a lot of nachas from seeing almost all of his great great and great great great grandchildren sitting and learning TORAH and raising beautiful Torahdik families,"kein yirbu bli ein horah." May all the descendants continue to grow in my illustrious Great Grandfather's footsteps.

10: THE MAHARAM OF ROTHENBERG Reb Meir ben Baruch better known as the Maharam of Rothenberg was born in Worms, Germany in the year 1220. He first studied under the greatest Tosafists of that land including R' Yitzchok (author of Or Zarua) in Wurtzberg and R' Yehudah ben Moshe Hakohen of Mainz. He also studied in the Yeshivah of Rabbeinu Yechiel of Paris and is said to have personally witnessed the tragic burning of the Talmud in 1242. The Maharam is considered to be one of the last important Baalei Tosafos, but his major contribution to Rabbinic literature was his prolific responsa in all areas of Halachah,. Approximately 1000 of the Maharam's responsa have been published and his rulings have been accepted by all subsequent generations as the opinion of a leading Halachik authority. He was also the author of one of the Kinnas that we say on Tisha Bav. From the seat of his rabbinate in Rothenberg the Maharam guided German Jewry throughout the second half of the 13th century. However, in his final years he met with tragedy. The terrible burden of persecution was making life intolerable for the Jews of Germany. Taxation, pogroms, blood libels, harsh decrees - all of these spurred Jews to flee from the miserable exile and to make the arduous journey to Eretz Yisroel. Emperor Rudolf the 1st did not wish to lose the Jews from whom he enjoyed extorting so much gold, so in the year 1286, he declared the Jews to be his personal property - serfs of the Emperor's treasury. He prohibited Jews from leaving Germany and confiscated the property of those who did. The Maharam vigorously opposed this decree and together with his family attempted to flee Germany. Unfortunately, when he reached the border with Lombardy he was recognized by a Jewish apostate who reported him to the royal agents. The Emperor imprisoned him in the castle of Ensishiem. He demanded an exorbitant ransom from the Jewish community if they were to obtain their leader's release. German Jewry was prepared to pay the enormous sum of 23,000 talents of silver to redeem their Rav. However, the Maharam refused to permit them to pay such an exorbitant sum, for the Mishnah (Gitten 45a) teaches; "For the sake of public welfare it is prohibited to redeem Jewish captives for an exorbitant sum." (less this encourage despots to kidnap other Jews for high ransom in the future.) This noble act of self-sacrifice by the Maharam achieved its purpose. Never again in Jewish history were great Rabbinic leaders held hostage in order to extort enormous ransom payments from the Jews.

11: The Maharam died in prison in the year 1293, but his remains were not released for burial until they were ransomed 14 years later by a wealthy Jew, Alexander Wimpton, whose sole request was that he be buried near his great leader. | THE KOSCHLAND FAMILY My Great Grandfather R' Moshe Koschland was a direct descendant of the Maharam of Rothenberg. It was very inspiring for me this past summer 2005 to have stood and davened at the Kever of this tremendous tzadik of whom I am a direct descendant. The Koschland family originated from Kozlani Czeckoslovakia. Kozlani was a city right next to Bruno. In 1710, a Koschland ancestor went to Germany to live. A law in Germany said that each person must have a surname. Most people used the name of the city they came from. My ancestor chose the name of his city which in German was Koschland. My Great Grandfather had approximately nine children. He was married three times and my Grandmother was from his 2nd wife. I think most of the children were from his 2nd wife. Henry Koschland's father and brother were from the 3rd wife. His 3rd wife came to America in 1862 as an au pair girl. All Jews who lived in America at that time were frum. Their children were the ones who assimilated. She lived in Chicago and saw the Chicago great fire. In 1824 a law was passed in Germany that only the oldest son in each family could get married. They wanted to make sure that yiddishkeit did not grow. My ancestor who lived there at that time sent two of his sons to America in approximately the 1830's or 1840's. One of the Koschland girls married Levi Strauss who invented dungarees(Jeans). They are today the 4th richest family in America. Their descendants live today in San Francisco and are totally assimilated. They are totally against yiddishkeit and when one of their sons was starting to become frum, they gave him 25 million dollars and told him to leave. They refused to have anything to do with him. My Great Grandfather was a BAL TOKEAH and Henry Koschland has the Shofar that he used. My Great Grandmother was Sara Zimmer. She was the 2nd wife of my Great Grandfather and the mother of my Grandmother.

12: My Grandfather My Grandfather Mordechai Schenkolewski was born in 1869 in Geretz, Poland. When he was a child his family moved to Hamburg, Germany. He got married in approximately 1894 to my Grandmother Chava Koschland. He ran the store together with his brother that his father had given them when he moved to Eretz Yisroel.. When Hitler yemach shimo took power he slowly confiscated all the businesses from the Jews. One of those businesses belonged to my grandfather. In 1941 my father was able to get visas for his parents to come to the U.S.A. They came on a ship called the SS Mouzinho in August 1941. They moved 2 doors away from my parents. They lived there together with my parents taking care of them until my Grandmother died in Nov. 1944. My Grandfather continued to live there until 1947 when it became too difficult for my mother to handle my grandfather who at that time was suffering from Alzheimers. My father sent him to his twin sister and brother who had grown children that would be able to help with his care. He died in June of 1953 at the age of 84 and is buried near Bnai Brak in NACHLAS YITZCHOK. My father had a small matzevah put in between his parents for Uncle Isaac, his wife and 2 children HY"D as there was no KEVURAH for those that died in the Holocaust.

13: My Grandmother My Grandmother Chava Schenkolewski was born in Feurth, Germany in 1867. Her mother died when she was young and as a result she went to live with her grandmother in a very small village. She had to work very hard making bread, butter, and everything from scratch. She married my grandfather in approximately 1894 or 1895. She had 7 children, 6 boys and one girl. The oldest Yisroel Zev was killed 7 days before the end of WW1. He is buried in a military Christian cemetery on the border between France and Belgium. The 2nd and 3rd died as small children from an epidemic of Scarlett Fever. The 4th and 6th immigrated to Israel and the 5th, my father immigrated to the U.S. The 7th was killed with his wife and family in the Holocaust, HY"D. My grandmother was extremely FRUM and very makpid with her TZNIUS. She lived a very puritan life wearing only black, high necks, and long sleeves. She cooked, baked and was known to always walk very quickly. My older cousins in Israel told me that every day after school they would go to my grandmother on their way home and do their homework there. She would always wash their faces and make sure their hair was neatly braided before they went home. In 1941 my grandparents traveled to America passing through France, Spain and Portugal on the way. They sailed from Lisbon on August 20, 1941 arriving in New York on Sept, 2, 1941. They lived 2 houses away from my parents until my grandmother died of throat cancer. in 1944.They came every day at exactly 12 0clock to eat their main meal. Not one minute earlier or later. My mother had to be ready on the minute which was totally against her nature as she was not a yekki. At the end of her life my grandmother was not even able to swallow. My father always told me that when death was imminent she told all those who were around her at the time to make sure that by YETZIAS NESHAMA her hair should be completely covered. She was afraid her head covering would slip at the moment of death. Those were her last thoughts before she died. She was NIFTER on the YARZEIT of her oldest son who was killed in the last week of WW1. My grandmother was buried in America with the TNAI that when my father was able to send her remains to Eretz Yisroel she would be able to be exhumed and transferred. In 1959 my father received money from Germany and with that money he had my Grandmother's remains sent to Eretz Yisroel. She is buried next to my Grandfather In NACHLAS YITZCHOK.

14: My Father | My father was born on February 7, 1904 together with his twin sister Tanta Sara. They were number 5 & 6 in the family of 7 children. The oldest was a brother Yisroel Zeev who was born on March 26, 1896. He was a soldier in the first World War and was killed on November 4, 1918 just one week prior to the end of the war. He is buried in a military cemetery near the border between France and Belgium. My father very much wanted to remove his brother from the Christian cemetery. He went to the CHAZON ISH to discuss the matter with him. He ruled that because they were not 100% sure that it was him in the grave they are not allowed to transfer him. His brother had had a leg amputated and they were pretty sure it was him but my father listened to the CHAZON ISH's ruling. The 2nd in the family was a brother Menachem born March, the 24th of Adar 2 1897. The 3rd in the family was a brother Zecharia born Shabbos, October 28, 1899. Both these two brothers died from Scarlet Fever within 2 weeks and a day of each other in 1903. Menachem died October 18th, the 27th of Tishrei and Zecharia died November 2nd the 12th of Marcheshvon. The 4th in the family was a boy born February, 1902, my Uncle Selig. The 7th and youngest was my Uncle Isaac born February 19, 1906 who was killed during the Holocaust with his wife and two children. HY"D. He was married to Clara Marx, an aunt to Moshe Marx and a sister to Dr. Meuller's wife. He had 3 children, The youngest Sara died from an illness as a baby. The other 2 Miriam born January 9,1934 and Moshe born July 4, 1935 were deported with their mother to Sobibor and gassed on July 23, 1943. Uncle Isaac was deported to Auschwitz and died March 31,1944. My Uncle Zelig married Leah Halberstadt and had five boys. My Tanta Sara had 12 children. One child Leah died right after they arrived in Eretz Yisroel from diphtheria. She had been ill on the boat when they were escaping from Germany to Israel in February 1939. Another son Dovid died during the war for independence in Israel in 1948. They were living in Tel-Aviv and a splinter from a bomb came through the roof and killed him. There were 10 remaining children of which the last few were born in Israel. My father was a mischievous youngster who pulled many pranks during his school years. When he was 16 years old he went into business and was extremely successful. He was a klal man all his life and already participated in the first Kenessia Gedola as a counselor of the Agudath Israel "yugent group" serving as an usher which took place in Vienna in 1923. He presided at the opening session of the First Congress Agudas Israel Youth Organization in Vienna in 1929. He was a member of the finance committee at the 2nd Kenessia Gedola in Vienna in 1929. He was an executive member of the Agudas Israel World Organization and in April 1948 was present at a meeting in the United Nations to present their views to the United Nations Palestine Commission on the creation of a Jewish state. He was extremely close to R' Yaakov Rosenheim who was president of the world Agudath Israel Organization and became his right hand. He visited the Chofetz Chaim in his home and also Sara Shenirer. In 1934 my father's business was taken away by the Nazis. My Grandmother who was extremely clever told my father that it would be a good idea for someone in the family to be in the United States. She realized the situation in Germany was not good and since my father was the only unmarried child at the time she told him to go. She claimed if the situation deteriorated more, someone had to be on the outside to help the others. My father went to America in 1934. My father was able to get visas for his siblings that were in Germany to go to Israel.

15: My | My Uncle Selig and My Tanta Sara both left with their families. My Uncle Isaac refused to leave his elderly parents alone in Germany and therefore did not take advantage of the visa my father had procured for him and his family. My father begged him to leave stating he was working on getting visas for his parents but he didn't know if he would be able to get another visa for him. My uncle still refused but said he would go instead to Holland which was just one hour away. Unfortunately when Hitler Y"S went into Holland it was too late for my uncle's family to leave and they perished in the war HY"D. My father was able to get his parents out in the summer of 1941 and he brought them to America. My father told me many times how he was very active in getting visas for people and one time they promised him 1000 visas for people who would be a loss to society My father went to the RABBONIM to ask if he could use two of those visas to bring his parents out of Germany and their reply was that his parents are his gedolim and since the visas were to be used to save the gedolim from Europe he was allowed to use two of them to save his parents. He got them an apartment two doors away from his own and they stayed there together until my grandmother died of cancer in November 1944. She died on the Yartzeit of her oldest son who died in WW1. My grandfather continued to live there until 1947 when he moved to Eretz Yisroel. My father was very active during the war years working on the HATZOLAH movement to rescue people from the inferno in Europe. He traveled many times to procure visas for someone whose life was in danger. One Friday night he received a message from a Rav in Williamsburg that he must immediately travel to Washington to rescue R' Aharon Kotler. He left immediately even though it was SHABBOS to save another life. He also saved the BOBOVER Rebbe's mother. During this time period he was successful in saving many people. After the war he was sent by the U.N. and the U.S. government to the D.P. camps in Europe to provide aid for the survivors. We have many pictures of my father in several Eastern European countries helping the people there. At that time he also went to Grossverdain and was able to go to the graves of my mother's parents. He helped my Aunt Perele and Uncle Moshe leave Hungary and go to Eretez Yisroel. He also was able to get Penicillin for my Uncle Moshe who was critically ill, which saved his life. He helped the two surviving single sistersof the wife of her brother Shmuel Zeev One of the stories I had never heard of before I found online. There was a story about a Polish boy born approximately in 1940 or 1941 who was brought to Krakow after the war by a peasant woman. The woman claimed that the boy's mother, a Jewish woman had given him to her for safekeeping, but that the mother had perished in the Holocaust. This woman brought the boy to a Jewish children's home in Bratislava run by the Agudath Yisroel. In April 1946 my father visited the children's home and he discovered that the boy had not had a BRIS MILAH. He scheduled the BRIS, was the SANDIK and named the boy after his brother whom he had lost in WW1 at Arnheim. | Meier Schenkolewski

16: Top left - The twins - My father & tanta Sara Middle - The twins first day of school Bottom - My father's Bar-Mitzvah Top right - My grandparents with 3 oldest children - Zeev, Menachem, Zecharia. middle- | middle- My grandparents store in Hamburg, Germany, bottom- My grandparents at their window of their apartment center-Uncle Selig sitting,My father,Tanta Sara, The maid, Uncle Isaac Bottom- standing Uncle Isaac, unknown, Uncle Selig, my father sitting unknown, Tanta Sara

18: MIRIAM'S REPORT WRITTEN BY MY FATHER My daughter Miriam did a report on my father when she was in 11th grade 20 years ago. While helping my 10th grade grand-daughter with information for her report on my father this 20 year old report surfaced. As I sit here reading this report I can almost hear my father speaking. I am grateful to have found it as some of the information I did not know. This report gave me the opportunity to learn things that would otherwise have been lost. I was born in the year 1904 in Hamburg, Germany. There were 6 other children in my family besides myself, 6 boys and 1 girl, my twin sister. I am one of the few people still alive who knew many of the Gedolim of the 19th century. I always tell my grandchildren how I went many times to the homes of the Chofetz Chaim, Reb Elchonon Wasserman, the Gerrer Rebbe and others. I came to America in the early 30's and threw myself into the Hatzolah movement to save as many lives from the Holocaust in Europe. I was also a member of the world Vaad Hapoel of Agudas Yisroel before the war and was well known to Polish Jewry. I was able to arrange for food packages to be sent to the Warsaw Ghetto. One of my remarkable deeds during the war was the saving of many of our Gedolim. I was friendly with James Macdonald, the representative of the Vatican to America. He was a devoted Catholic who was friendly to the Jews. During the war years he became the chairman of the presidential commission for refugees and later became the 1st American ambassador to Israel. When news about the destruction of the famous yeshivas in Europe and the immediate danger to the Gedolim reached America, I went to Washington and had numerous meetings with Macdonald. President Roosevelt had signed a law stating that if a person would be a loss to society if he were to be killed in the Holocaust, then that person could enter the U.S. even if the quota system had reached its maximum. Under this law Albert Einstein, Thomas Mann and many others came to the U.S. Because of this law Macdonald and I found a way to save the Gedolim. We told the President and his cabinet that the death of Reb Aaron Kotler, Reb Elchonon Wasserman, and other great Rabbonim would be a loss to society and therefore they should be allowed to enter the U.S. under this law to. Finally the President agreed to allow 70 Rabbonim to come to America. Unfortunately, until the visas were issued, many of these Gedolim had already been killed but Baruch Hashem there were still a few of these Rabbonim that came out. One of these Rabbonim was Reb Aaron Kotler although he had trouble with his visa. One Friday night there was a knock at my door. I was told that Reb Aaron was in great danger because there was something wrong with his visa. Something had to be done immediately in order to get him out. Although it was Shabbos, I was told by Rabbi Heiman, the Rosh Hayeshiva of Torah V'daas I am allowed to go. I left immediately and was able to expedite matters. Baruch Hashem, Reb Aaron came to America safely.

19: From my earliest youth, I became very interested in the Bais Yaakov movement and was very close to Sara Shenirer. Twice I traveled to America at the request of Sara Shenirer on a lecture tour for the Polish Bais Yaakov. Once when going to Krakow to discuss Bais Yaakov with Sara Shenirer, I was asked to visit someone's 90 year old grandfather. Upon visiting him, I heard about the Chofetz Chaim, whom I had never heard of before. Upon hearing about him I immediately decided to travel to Radin to visit the Chofetz Chaim. When I finally reached Vilna. Reb Chaim Oizer Grodzensky who lived there, did not permit me to travel to Radin due to the bitter cold. Suddenly, the son-in-law of the Chofetz Chaim came to Reb Chaim Oizer with an important message and as he was returning immediately back to Radin I accompanied him. We arrived in Radin after Maariv. After Maariv no one was allowed to see the Chofetz Chaim. and so I went to a boarding house. After a short while three bochorim came to bring me to the Chofetz Chaim even though it was after Maariv. Coming into his house I saw at one end of the room someone cooking and someone holding a baby, while at the other end of the room the Chofetz Chaim was seated on an old wooden bench, holding a cane and a watch ready to greet Moshiach. I stayed there for a long time listening to mussar speeches. When it was time to leave the Chofetz Chaim advised me to travel to Baronovitch to see Reb Elchonon Wasserman. I soon became very close to Reb Elchonon, especially the year that Reb Elchonon was in America. Yes, I am one of the few people still alive who were zocheh to meet and know very well the Gedolim of the past generation. Since I was very interested in the Bais Yaakov of Krakow and was very close to Sara Shenirer, I helped her in her dream to build Bais Yaakov. As an outstanding speaker, I traveled to most of the main cities in America and raised funds for the Bais Yaakov in Krakow. I was the one who together with Rabbi Neuhouse founded the 1st Bais Yaakov elementary school in Williamsburg. Rebbetzin Kaplan, the principal and founder of the Beth Jacob Teachers Seminary in America had problems upon entering the U.S. and was sent to Ellis Island. I gave a bond of $500 (at that time a large sum of money) to release her. POSTSCRIPT: The following I found in a newspaper clipping from the YATED or HAMODIA. It was written by a Mr. Winkler. He wrote that as a bochur he was learning in Reb Elchonon's Yeshiva. Rav Elchonon was very concerned when he was sick and he had doctors come from Vilna to Baronovitch to treat him, but his temperature still did not come down. Rav Elchonon asked his mother to come, and she traveled on a steamboat from Copenhagen. Baruch Hashem he recovered. His mother had heard that Rav Elchonon was going to America so she asked him to visit her husband's kever there. (He was raising money and had a heart attack and died and was buried in New York.) When Rav Elchonon came to America, Rav Meier Schenkolewski was mekabel panim him, and the first thing Rav

20: Elchonon requested was that he wants to visit the kever of Rabbi Winkler. Rabbi Schenkolewski sent the picture below to his mother of himself and Rav Elchonon standing near his father's Matzeivah. I have the original picture. The following letter is from a student of Sara Shenirer that was smuggled to me via South America from Krakow. Dear Mr. Schenkolewski in New York August 11, 1942 I do not know if this letter will ever reach you or if you will remember who I am. We met in the house of Sarah Schenirer and later in Marianbad. When this letter will reach you I will not be alive anymore. With me are 92 Beth Jacob girls. In another hour everything will be over. Give my regards to Mr. Jacob Rosenheim and your friend Harry A. Goodman from England. We were taken to a house and given four rooms. On July 27, we were taken out of our rooms and put into a dark room and given only water. Our ages are from 14 to 22 and the young ones are frightened. I am sitting with them and teaching them Mama Sora's lessons. It is good to live for HASHEM and also to die for HASHEM. Yesterday and the day before they brought us hot water and we were told to bathe. They also told us that tonight German soldiers are coming to visit us. We decided yesterday that we are all going to die together "AL KIDDUSH HASHEM." Yesterday they brought us to a big beautiful house with large light and airy rooms beautifully made up with expensive linens. The Germans don't know that the baths we took were our TEVILA before our deaths. Today they took everything away from us and left us only a robe. We have poison. When the soldiers will come we will drink the poison. Today we sat the whole day saying VIDUY. We are not afraid. We have but one request. Please say KADDISH for us 93 Jewish girls. Soon we will be together with our mother Sora We thank you! Greetings! from Chaya Feldman from Krackow

21: My Father got married | on June 21st,1939. They moved to Williamsburg and lived there until they both died. My father was in the import export business and was away from home very often. He traveled all over the world for business. Finally after almost three years of marriage they had a baby girl who happens to be me. Two years and four months later they had my brother. When his business deteriorated, times became extremely difficult and money was severely lacking. When I was 14 years old my father went into the travel business. He worked for Treisser Tours and was very successful. Eventually the Treisser Travel agency closed down and he continued to work for Tabs Tours until he retired at 75 years old. In the beginning he davened in the Aguda on Bedford Ave. He then switched to Horowitzes shul and eventually switched to the Shoproner Bais Hamedrash on Hewes St., A chasiddeshe shul.

22: THE GOLDMAN FAMILY The Goldman family can be traced back to the MAHARAL OF PRAGUE. Born in the year of 1512, Rabbi Yehudah Loewe, otherwise known as the Maharal, was one of the leading Talmudic scholars, kabbaliists and philosophers of his time, authoring significant works in almost every area of Torah study. However, the Maharal is probably most famous in Jewish legend for creating a GOLEM, which defended the Jewish community of Prague from the murderous pogroms of the time. At ten years old his father arranged for him to become engaged to the daughter of a wealthy scholar, R' Shmuel the son of R' Yaakov Reich of Prague. The Maharal made an agreement with his future father-in-law, that R' Shmuel will support him so that he could study Torah undisturbed. When he was twelve years old he was accepted into the Yeshiva of R" Yaakov Pollak together with 24 other students. R' Yaakov singled out three students from all his years of teaching, R' Meir Katzenelenbogen, the Maharam of Padua, R' Sholom Schachna of Lublin and the Maharal. He stayed in the Yeshiva for 4 years until he was 16. His future father-in-law wanted him to get married at 18 but he refused asking for 4 or 5 more years. Perel, his future wife recognized his greatness and decided to secretly study so that he will not be ashamed of her. When he spoke to her he was amazed at how much she knew and he made a learning schedule for her which she kept faithfully. After the 4 or 5 years were up he asked for an additional three years to study in Posen. They agreed. During these three years the Maharal's father-in-law lost his wealth and wrote him a letter releasing him from having to marry his daughter. The Maharal refused. He married Perel and had 7 children, 6 girls and one boy. One day the Maharal approached his oldest daughter, Leah and asked her if she was ready to get married. He spoke to her about a bochur called Rabbi Yitzchok Cohen. He was the grandson of Rabbi Akiva-Akiva the prince. Rabbi Akiva Cohen had 25 children, 12 sons and 13 daughters. He married off 12 of his daughters to Kohanim (the 13th married a Levi.) Everyone knew that when he gave the Kohen's blessing on holidays, the word Koh referrred to him, because Koh was numerically equivalent to 25: the number of Kohanim that included himself, his sons and sons-in-law. A short while later Leah became sick. The best doctors were called but nothing could be done. Even the Maharal who helped so many people was not able to save his oldest child. She died young and childless. A few months later Rabbi Yitzchok Cohen came to see the Maharal. He said "It is not good for a man to be alone. I would only like to marry a woman who had the same good qualities and the same good upbringing as did Leah. You have a daughter Faigeleh, who is not yet married. Would it be presumptuous for me to speak to you of her?" The Maharal said, "I would be glad to have you in the family again." A few months later Rabbi Yitzchok married the Maharal's remaining daughter. Rabbi Yitzchk Cohen(Katz) became Rosh Yeshiva and chief Rabbi of Nikolsburg. His daughter Faigele had a son Chaim, and a second son Naftali Katz. Rabbi Naftali Katz became the darshan of Prague. Later on he became the chief Rabbi of Prossnitz. He married Dinah who had a son Yitzchok who married Aidel who had a son Naftali, who later became known as the SEMICHAS CHACHOMIM. Rabbi Yisroel Goldman is a direct descendant of Rav Naftali Katz. The MAHARAL died in the year 1609/5369. Rav Naftali Katz, the SEMICHAS CHACHOMIM died in the year 1719-5479.

23: "THE KNESSES YISROEL" REB YISROEL GOLDMAN Unfortunately I have no information of my Grandfather's earlier years.He was a direct descendant of the MAHARAL OF PRAGUE and also of REB NAFTOLI KATZ '"THE SEMICHAS CHACHOMIM." His father was Aharon Yitzchak Goldman and his Grandfather was Menachem Goldman. He was a Dayan and Darshan in the congregation of GROSSVARDEIN which numbered 35,000 people. He was totally immersed in studying Torah. He learned with tremendous Hasmodah, never wasting a second. One day as he was leaving his home a Jew approached his door in order to pay him a visit. My Grandfather smiled at him and said "please sit down" not realizing that he was already outside and there was nowhere to sit except for the ground. He always walked with his head down. If his children wanted to tell him something they had to pull his sleeve and shake his arm, My grandfather kept his expenses as low as possible so he would be able to purchase SEFORIM. He had a massive library with over 10,000 volumes. His home was very active. Bochurim and Torah scholars would be there constantly to hear his Divrei Torah.He gave deep GEMARA shiurim in the SHAS CHEVRA BAIS MEDRASH. He also gave many shiurim in the shul where he was Rav. He was known throughout Eastern and Central Europe. He was once asked to become the Rav in the Hamburg Kehillah in Germany. I know that my father as a bochur (from Hamburg) visited him at his home before he even knew my mother existed. He would constantly be writing CHIDUSHEI TORAH. Some of his written work was published. He would always say, "Buy yourself a friend, your pen is your friend." Boxes of his writing were stacked up in his house. His life's major work was the KNESSES YISROEL on PIRKEI AVOS in 6 volumes. He also wrote a giant commentary on the whole of the Marshoh on the Talmud. Unfortunately a lot of his work was lost during the Holocaust. After the war my father was able to salvage some of the bound volumes of his writings. He gave all of them except for one to his brother-in-law Fischel Gleich for safe keeping. He kept only one for himself which my brother R' Yisroel Schenkolewski now has. The others are in the possession of my uncle's son-in-law Meier Dudowitz in Chicago. His son Hillel Dudowitz who lives in Miami probably has more information on that. My Grandfather experienced many miracles during his lifetime. He once didn't have enough money to pay for the expenses of the upcoming High Holy Days and Succos. An esrog dealer turned up at his door with a box of 1st class esrogim. He told my Grandfather to sell them for him and keep the profit. R' Yisroel sold them for a good price. After the Yomim Tovim, he looked for the man to pay him but couldn't find him. He realized the man didn't exist. R' Yisroel had a regular chavrusah. One day during WW1 a known informer entered the Bais Medrash where they met to learn every day. He told my Grandfather, you are a draft dodger and I'm going to inform the government about you. Within two days you will be at the front. Jews were called up and did not come back. Many were not even buried in a Jewish Cemetery. My Grandfather and his chavrusah tried to appeal to the man's better side but got nowhere. The informer got up to leave and laughingly said soon you will be conscripted. My Grandfather stared at him piercingly and said you will not inform on me. The latter replied, "I am not afraid of your threats," and walked out laughing. A few hours later the news got around that the man had suddenly died as he was about to enter the government offices. Another wartime provision of the government was a prohibition on holding foreign currency. Police would often raid people's homes looking for secret hordes of foreign money. My Grandfather had cash but was not afraid. Once the police showed up. However, as they burst in, they saw my Grandfather learning Torah at his table piled up with Seforim. For some reason they became frightened and retreated immediately. During this time period the VISHNITZE Rebbe, the AHAVAS YISROEL, also lived in Grossverdein. Most of the members of my Grandfather's congregation were ashkenazic Jews who followed the ways of the CHASAM SOFER. Chasidic Judiaism was something new to them. My Grandfather made a particular point of welcoming the AHAVAS YISROEL and

24: developing a friendship with him. This paved the way for the Rebbe's acceptance in the community. These two major personalities lived near each other and would often meet on their way to the Bais Hakneses. Whenever R' Yoel Teitelbaum, the SATMAR RAV was in Grossverdein he would stay at the home of my Grandfather. He completely trusted the kashrus of his home. He once told my father, your father-in-law was the holy KNESSES YISROEL. My Grandfather would make a detour everyday on his way to the Bais Haknesses in order to avoid passing a monastery. My Grandfather told of a remarkable occurrence in the third volume of his work. On the night of SHAVUOS and HOSHANA RABBA, it was the custom to spend the night learning in the women's section of the shul. My Grandfather would go up to the women's shul to speak and no matter how crowded it was he always landed in the same spot to give his drasha. After a certain amount of years, he asked which woman used that place. He was told that for many years a certain Tzadekes used to daven there regularly and the women would gather around her and listen to her. He said I now appreciate how great the words of chazal are:.... which teaches that the place is the cause. (M.SOTA

25: She became not frum and later married a Chinese Goy. None of her children are frum today. The 2nd daughter married Meir Dudowitz and lives in Chicago. She has 3 children, 2 boys and one girl who has triplets. The 2nd was my mother and the 3rd one Perele married R' Moshe Mandel who became a famous MEKUBAL in Bnai Brak in Eretz Yisroel. She had two daughters, the older one Sora Gittel is married to Dovid Stern and has 8 children. The 2nd one is married to Yerachmiel Birenzweig and has 7 children. He took care of his father-in-law for many years and when Uncle Moshe passed away he kept the shul going and set up a Kolel in the shul which is still there. There were two sons. The older one was Shmuel Wolf Goldman a big Talmid Chochom who married Rivka Klien a sister to Devorah Borchardt's mother. They were taken to Auschwitz in 1944 with their 3 small children.HY"D. The oldest was a girl l called Sora Gittel, the 2nd was a boy called Yisroel and the 3rd was a girl named Hinda.The younger son was Moshe who had one son. He and his son were killed during the HolocaustHY"D. His wife survived and moved to Eretz Yisroel where she remarried and had one son.

26: MY MOTHER My Mother was born August 5, 1904 in Grossverdein which is today in Romania but previously was in Hungary. When she was a young girl she secretly cut off her braids and when her father saw her he became very upset. She told me that was the only time she was severely disciplined. She didn't speak too much about her childhood. She was the one who took care of her mother and the entire house when her mother was sick. Her oldest sister was already in America and her younger one worked in an office. As one can notice from the few pictures that I have of her, she loved to be dressed properly and never, even when she was old, in her high eighties left her house not put together. Even when she was in the hospital she always put on her make-up and out on the street always wore her heels even when she was in a wheelchair. She was an adorable girl and every one liked her. Unfortunately, it was very hard to find a a shiduch in Europe if you did not have money for a dowry. Since her father sat and learned Torah all day, there apparently wasn't any money for a dowry. That is why her sister went to America. My mother nursed her mother until she died and then took over running the house. All the cooking etc. When her father remarried, she left to America because she desperately wanted to get married. She left in the summer of 1934 and moved in with her sister in the Bronx. | She went out with many boys but the moment she mentioned that she would cover her hair completely they refused to continue. In 1939 she went out with my father who had been experiencing the same problem. He could not find a girl who was willing

27: to cover her hair. They got married on Sunday afternoon, May 21, 1939 in the Jewish Center in Manhattan. My parents moved into Williamsburg, 168 Hewes St. and in 1957 moved down the block to 135 Hewes St. until they died in 1994 and 95. My mother was a fabulous BALABUSTA. She was a terrific cook and baker. She was very makpid on kashrus being totally machmir more than was required. She had a very social and friendly personality and was loved by all her friends of which there were many. She had fabulous taste in clothes and was constantly upon request taking her friends shopping whenever they needed her. She was very good-natured and was always doing CHESED. She always sent me around to help anyone that needed it. Whether it was getting small children ready for school, cutting the old lady next door's foot nails or babysitting those that could not manage. I learned from my mother that CHESED comes first. When survivors from the Holocaust came she immediately got them what they needed and helped them by raising money and buying them their necessities. She always looked tip top no matter what. She was a great grandmother and loved all her grandchildren to pieces. In 1992 right before SUCCOS she fell in Lakewood and broke her hip. She spent many weeks in the hospital and from that moment she started to go downhill. Once her independence was lost she gave up. She died 2 years later on October 28 | 1994. She is buried on Har Hazeisim right next to my father.

28: Great Grandfather | ME, MYSELF AND I My parents were married 3 days before Shavuos 1939 and 2 years and 9 months later on the 1st day Rosh Chodesh Adar, February 16, 1942 I was born. As my mother did not conceive immediately my father went to the Frierdike Rebbe for a Brocha. I was born 9 months later in a Manhattan hospital. During the birth the doctors came out to my father and told him the birth is a very difficult one and we don't know if we can save both mother and child. Boruch Hashem they were wrong and after a few days my father brought home his wife and child from the hospital. I am named after my mother's mother who died unfortunately at the young age of 52. From all I have heard about her I hope I am a credit to her name and will continue to be one. My father loved telling me the story about the nurse he hired to take care of me. When I was 8 days old she dropped me on my head. Of course that nurse was fired and he then proceeded to hire a frum woman who resumed my care. I am the older of 2 children having only one brother. He is named after my mother's father the KNESSES YISROEL. I've been told I take after my father in many ways. I inherited his memory and his will to fight for what he believed in even if the majority was against him. I love reading, knitting and any type of creative handwork. I also enjoy working on the computer. I love taking pictures and am known as the family photographer. Unfortunately, I also love eating especially nosh. My favorite snack was always pretzels, cake, chocolate and ice cream. Due to health problems I am now down to fat free pretzels. For my schooling I attended Rabbi Newhouse's Bais Yaakov in Williamsburg. I had a hard time sitting still and paying attention but scholastically I did very well. In 1st grade I did extremely well but got a D in conduct. Because of my behavior I was sent out of class many times and even on occasion sent home. When I arrived at home my mother never asked me, " Are you feeling OK<" instead she would ask, "What happened now>" Today I probably would have been labeled ADD. When I was in 7th grade our teacher taught us about TZNIUS. We were told that once you hit 12 you must wear 3/4 sleeves. My best buddy (Dina Basch) and myself approached our parents and requested a new kosher wardrobe. We refused to wear our short sleeve blouses as we had already turned 12. Times were not as affluent as they are today. Our parents did not have the money to replace our existing clothes. They promised us that any new item they bought for us would be according to the standards we now were requesting. This did not deter us from our conviction that we would no longer wear short sleeves. It was the month of June and quite hot. We would wear a sweater every day no matter what the temperature was outside. This convinced our parents that we were not willing to give up on our convictions. They immediately went out and bought us new blouses. For High School I went to Reb. Kaplan's Bais Yaakov on South 8th street in Williamsburg. I was president of the Freshman in 9th grade. In 11th grade I was business manager and typist of the school newspaper called the L'CHU. I graduated in January, 1959. My life's dream was to become a teacher but due to the fact that i graduated in January, I decided to wait until September to start my teaching career. My parents could not afford to send me to seminary so I immediately started to look for a job. As I was under 17 the 1st thing I had to do was get working papers. As soon as that was accomplished I opened the New York Times and immediately applied for a job at Merrill, Lynch, Pierce, Fenner, and Smith. There were many applicants for the job and we were required to take an aptitude test. Only one other girl and I were hired as a result of the high scores we both received. Since I got my job in February, the days were still short and Shabbos started at approximately 5.30. My job was from 9 to 5. For the 1st 3 weeks I went to work with nothing but my lunch and two tokens for the subway. The 2nd Friday the subway stalled at Essex Street. As the realization hit me that I wouldn't be able to make it home on time for Shabbos. I got off the train and started to walk. I walked across the Williamsburg bridge and from the bridge home. My father had already returned from Shul and both my parents were anxiously awaiting my arrival. Boruch Hashem I arrived home safely.I was very successful at my job and after 5 weeks I received a promotion with a raise. It was not simple working an entire day surrounded by goyim. The girls were curious about the Kosher food I brought with me every day, especially on Pesach when I came with .my Shmura matzos. They were also

29: curious about my TZNIUSDIKE clothing. The boys would also sit down at my table when I was eating my lunch and start talking to me. It was a big NISAYON. I learned a very important lesson from that experience.and made sure that when I had children of my own to see to it that they were always exposed to a kosher atmosphere. When my youngest did not want to teach I made sure that the office she worked in was a good one with the right HASHKOFOS. I quit my job in June and went to Camp Bnos in the summer. In September of 1959 I found a teaching job in a preschool in Queens. Unfortunately, I had a serious thyroid condition called Graves Disease. and needed surgery to correct it. I spent 10 days in the hospital and 3 weeks at home recuperating. I tried going back to my teaching job but complications from the surgery set in and i was forced to give it up. I spent several months at home, doing temporary office jobs when I was able to. In may of 1960 I was hired by ADWE as a secretary and continued in that job until Oct. 17, 1965 when my son was born. MY CAMPING EXPERIENCE When I was 5 & 1/2 years old I was sent to a sleep away camp for the 1st time. Parents were afraid to keep their children in the city during the summer because of the risk of contracting polio. The camp I went to was a very small private amp with 50 campers. It was also a co-ed camp. All of the children in the camp came from very frum families. (e.g.Mrs. Rosenhan, Mrs Luria, The Halberstams etc.) The camp was run by the Ulman family> I remember being extremely homesick. One other memory I have from that summer was when I was punished for misbehaving and told to sit on the front lawn facing the camp lake. A 6and 1/2 year old boy who was also punished was throwing rocks into the lake. One of the rocks hit my head, split it open and caused me to bleed profusely. I was then rushed to the hospital receiving many stitches. The following summer my parents sent me to Camp Bais Yaakov. I remember begging my counselor to teach me how to daven Shemonei Esrei which she did. I came home at the end of the summer with ahead full of lice. That was the end of my Camp Bais Yaakov experience. For the next 4 summers I was back in Camp Ahava which was the Ullman's private camp. When I was 11and1/2 years old Camp Bnos opened up and I was one of its first 50 campers. I spent the rest of my summers at Camp Bnos starting out as a camper and over the years moving up to being a waitress, junior counselor, and counselor. When I was a C.I.T. my best friend Dina Basch switched from camp Bais Yaakov to Camp Bnos. I will never forget my arrival in camp after the 1st 3 weeks were over. The head counselor got on the bus when it arrived. She came straight to my seat and said. "Don't think you and your buddy are going to make trouble. I have put you in separate rooms far away from each other." Well, we managed just fine. We snuck into each others rooms every night, and did loads of mischief that summer. We were inseparable. One hike day especially stands out in my memory.. We were told we were hiking to White Lake. It took us about 1 1/2 hour to reach Swan lake. At that point most of the campers were too tired to continue hiking. They gave us a choice. Those that wished to continue by bus to White Lake would be able to. Both Dina and myself decided to continue walking. We arrived in White Lake at 7 P.M. just in time to take the 7.30 bus back to camp. I remember it as a phenomenal experience. That was the only night that the counselors had no trouble getting Dina and Myself to bed. Some of the cute mischievous acts that Dina and I committed were raiding the cake closet, stealing the silverware, (real ones, not plastic which is used today) collecting everyone's shoes and placing them on the front lawn, and climbing into the camp office at 2 A.M., using the mike to announce "BOKER TOV EVERYONE, TIME TO GET UP.' This is just a small sampling of the fun we used to have.At one point we were thrown out of camp and were forced to eat breakfast in the guest dining room. What a treat! Scrambled eggs, rolls etc. By the time the day was over we were back in camp and that night for night activity we dressed up as devils and sang an adorable song that the two of us had made up. During the summer that we were were J.C.'s I was the only one given a real bunk. I was also chosen to be Co-Captain of field day. Shani Perr was on my team and wrote all the songs etc. I can honestly say that these were the best summers of my life. During the years I worked for Adwe and had to work in the summer also, I went every Shabbos, Tisha B'av, and my one week vacation back to camp.

30: MY FIRST TRIP TO ERETZ YISROEL In the spring of 1961 my best friend Dina asked me to go to Eretz Yisroel in the summer. She said, "I'll tell my parents you are going, and you'll tell your parents that I'm going and we will both get permission. Lo and behold, she got permission to go, but I didn't. My father promised me that if I didn't nudge, he would take me for the YOMIM TOVIM. Dina wrote me glorious letters from her trip which made me even more anxious for the summer to be over. Finally in September, right before ROSH HASHANA, I boarded the plane and was on my way. I had never met any of my aunts, uncles, or cousins before and I was certainly nervous as I would be staying with them and my father wasn't coming until right before SUCCOS. I can still feel that feeling of exhilaration when the plane landed in E.Y.The 1st person I saw when I existed customs was my mother's sister who traveled all the way from her tiny village in middle of the night to see me. My father's twin was also there to pick me up from the airport. I was a celebrity, but boy was I nervous with all the strangers I was meeting It turned into the most fabulous experience I had ever known. I finally had the extended family I had always dreamed about and I fell completely in love with all of them. When Succos was over, my father asked me if I would like to stay for another month. I grabbed the opportunity and said "YES" but there was one condition. I was told I need to spend one week at Kibbutz Chofetz Chaim. And so, I went. I slept in the girl's dormitory, and ate in the communal dining room The 1st job I was given was to collect the laid eggs from the chickens. Not exactly some-thing I cared to do. But with all those Israeli girls watching me I gritted my teeth and did it. My next job was to pick apples off the trees which was much more to my liking I didn't last the whole week because I was absolutely starving. The milk was straight from the cow and the mush they served was in one bowl and everyone dug their hands into into it. I guess I was the spoiled "Americana" that they thought I was. I loved E.Y. and my family so much that when I got back home I started saving so I would be able to go back the following year which I did. The following Succos I was not able to go because I was getting married right after the Yomim Tovim.

31: Growing up on 168 Hewes St.

34: Meet the Adorable Six

35: Family Photos

40: As I complete this project about my family, I marvel at all my colorful history. i have worked so hard and learned so much It's time now for the finishing touch. I dedicate this work to you, my ancestors of great fame, Without you things just wouldn't be the same. I am who I am, and I stand proud and tall, My wonderful life is thanks to you all. As a result of you setting a solid foundation, This family has grown ka"h into a miniature nation! You have given me a heritage, I'll cherish it so, I will respect and value it as I watch my family grow. | As I complete this project about my family I marvel at all my colorful history I have worked so hard and learned so much | AsI complete this project about my family I marvel at all my colorful history I have worked so hard and learned so much It's time now for the finishing touch. I dedicate this work to you, my ancestors of great fame, Without you things just wouldn't be the same. I am who I am, and I stand proud and tall My wonderful life is thanks to you all. As a result of you setting a solid foundation, This family has grown ka"h into a miniature nation! You have given me a heritage, I'll cherish it so, I will respect and value it as I continue to watch my family grow

42: As I complete this project about my family, I marvel at all my colorful history. i have worked so hard and learned so much It's time now for the finishing touch. I dedicate this work to you, my ancestors of great fame, Without you things just wouldn't be the same. I am who I am, and I stand proud and tall, My wonderful life is thanks to you all. As a result of you setting a solid foundation, This family has grown ka"h into a miniature nation! You have given me a heritage, I'll cherish it so, I will respect and value it as I watch my family grow. | As I complete this project about my family I marvel at all my colorful history I have worked so hard and learned so much | AsI complete this project about my family I marvel at all my colorful history I have worked so hard and learned so much It's time now for the finishing touch. I dedicate this work to you, my ancestors of great fame, Without you things just wouldn't be the same. I am who I am, and I stand proud and tall My wonderful life is thanks to you all. As a result of you setting a solid foundation, This family has grown ka"h into a miniature nation! You have given me a heritage, I'll cherish it so, I will respect and value it as I continue to watch my family grow

Sizes: mini|medium|large|super size
Default User
  • By: sara s.
  • Joined: almost 7 years ago
  • Published Mixbooks: 0
No contributors

About This Mixbook

  • Title: Family History
  • Tags: None
  • Started: over 6 years ago
  • Updated: over 1 year ago