Enjoy up to 50% Off + MORE! Code: MOMSHIP Ends: 4/23 Details

Family History (Copy)

Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.

Family History (Copy) - Page Text Content

S: The Acorn Doesn't Fall Far From the Tree

BC: Sealing Schooners

FC: "The Book of Surprises" | The families we never knew.

1: and Here are the surprises | Pictures, events, letters between a mother and son, early death, disease, adventures at sea, and only a guess at an indiscretion bad enough to merit mention in a letter all raise questions. Although they are not truly answered in these pages, they do feed the imagination and isn't that the fun in most books that we read? A book of what seemed like an adventure but the lies under oath, along with the deceit, lack of cooperation, and insubordination had a negative impact on everything. Government departments that passed the buck helped bring down a form of government. A letter was written, but not answered until it was too late. Certificates, the US and Canadian Censuses, immigration papers, a return letter raises questions about the intent of the governments. The facts prove that our relative was one of the six survivor's of the Sarah W Hunt in 1883. I had not heard that name until I started doing this research. A name change to avoid persecution; then there was the potato famine, poverty, diseases, hardships, slave trade and prize money, a piece of inherited land that was never found; all of these things helped shape our family into what it is today. Once we look at our family history, it opens our eyes to the fact that we have roots; we have relatives that were real. Choices and the stress of not knowing what the future held; what choices would we have made if we were in their shoes? Could we have seen the consequences beforehand? I'm sure you'll find this side of our family fascinating and sometimes disturbing. I hope that this history comes alive for you as it has for me. When doing research, the family ancestors come alive and I often feel that I am part of their family. We are, but down the line and my brother and sisters were not even a twinkle in our great grandparent's eyes. Grandpa and I believe that there will be a resurrection on the earth. Jesus said there would be at John chapter 5 verses 28 & 29. Those words and all the words in the bible can be depended upon. That is why we believe that. So we are looking forward to seeing them and asking what was true and false. We all laugh, cry, hope, dream, fall down, get up, love and hate. That is life. Good, Bad, and Ugly. These are the roots of all families. We hope you'll find this to be a precious gift. Our love to you always, Grandma and Grandpa

2: Hold your loved ones close tell them you love them for if tomorrow never comes you'll have no regrets about today!

3: This is going to be good ... SO ... TURN THE PAGES SLOWLY | Hold onto your hat because this will blow you away!!

4: Meet the Chagnon Family My grandparents are from Quebec, Canada, and my father was the first generation born in the USA. | There is nothing out of the ordinary about the Chagnon's that I am aware of. I'm sure they had their ups and downs, but I don't know any more about them except what is written in this book. | Pepe | Meme | French for Grandpa and Grandma | My mother and Father Lucia and Emile | My Meme Rose Alma Chagnon | Me, Lynn and Laurie | Me, Ronnie, Ann | Laurie and Lynn | Tammie Lynn and Lauralee Ann Gilbar | Me and your mom | My grandmas and Grandpa's farm house.

5: These two people are my Meme and Pepe. (French for grandma and grandpa) This would make them your great-great- grand parents. I'll have to keep naming the generations or I'll get lost. Pepe died before I was born, and meme died when I was real young. The only thing I remember clearly about meme is that she sat in her rocking chair and spoke with a thick French accent. I was always asking my father what she was saying. It didn't sound like English to me. Believe me, it frustrated my meme, my father, and I all at the same time. The Chagnon family has no interesting events that went on and no legends that I know about. The numbers before the names are the number of the generation that they belong to starting with Charles Chagnon. The plus signs are the husbands or wives of the Chagnon’s. | In the late 1800's, Canada was going through many changes that affected this country in many ways. Canada along with many other countries was sinking into poverty due to the famine in Ireland and England. Therefore many immigrated to the US where they never found the prosperity they had heard about. It was not a “golden age of prosperity,” in the America's either because there was a lot of discrimination towards new emigrants and there were many poor working conditions. Jobs were scarce. In the 1940's, the immigrants from Canada came in large numbers. They formed their own neighborhoods and were thick in RI, and Boston. That's how I came to be born in RI. From the turn of the century and right through the nineteenth century there was a lot of discrimination towards people because of their race, gender, and culture. Discrimination never has gone away. It rages even to this day. | My father was the first generation born in the US. That makes us a family that is not been in this country for very long. On GG's side, her father was from Italy, more about that later. The Henderson's and Garrood's were not born here in the US either. The Henderson's came to the US from Scotland through, Richibucto, New Brunswick, Canada and ended up in the Boston - Providence area. | Napoleon Chagnon Born 1872 in Canada | Rose A Chagnon Born about 1873

7: This house that my father is standing in front of is located at 288 Sand Pond Rd, in Warwick, RI. It still stands at this time. Since my mother's father died when she was only 3, her mother remarried and she and her husband built this house which was located next door to his mother. This man, Allen Farewell Tripp, is the only grandfather I ever knew. When my mother and father had married and already had Ann, my grandma and grandpa had decided to move to NH. They must have driven up to NH to drive by houses for sale. When they saw this house below, they bought the house without ever seeing the inside of it. | They bought the house because they loved the view. It is a beautiful view and we loved every minute of every day we spent there with them on that farm. It was 100 acres more or less. That is how the land was described on the deed. I think that grandma was pretty disappointed after seeing the inside of the house. There were no faucets in the kitchen, only a hand pump for cold water. The only heat that was in the house was a wood stove in the living room. The rooms were drafty in the winter, and hot in the summer. There was no bathroom, just an outhouse. | In any case, they sold the house to my mother and father. Now, I'm not sure if Allen Tripp's mother used to live next door, or if his sister Iva and her husband built it next to her mother on the other side of the house. In any case, Iva Sprague lived next door to us. She was pretty nosy and reported everything back to her brother, my grandpa, and GG's step-father. I remember my mother calling me into the house more than once to tell me to get away from that woman. | This is how I remember my grandma. When my grandfather was at work one day my grandmother broke her hip and lay on the floor until my grandpa got home. GG said it was probably 6 hrs. or so that she lay there hurt. That house is at least a mile from any other and no one came by all day. . | Do you know what an outhouse is? I think this was a 2 or 3 seater. Can you say P-U ?? Believe me, when the snow was on the ground and it was cold, you sure didn't dilly dally....you ran. Fast. | This is an outhouse

8: 1662 | 1778 | 1833 | 1885 | 1662 | Look for this chart in a different place for a clear copy. There will be a poster chart sent to you, or a web page sent in an email.

9: Add another 5 generations from Charles Chagnon back to the year 1662 and forward again. Isn't it strange to know the names of our ancestors back to the 1662's? | Tick Tock.....Tick Tock Time slips into tomorrow Tick Tock ....Tick Tock And each tomorrow slips further into the future. Tick Tock time flies away. | 1698 | 1713 | 1756 | 1782 | 1801 | 1874 | 1924

10: Descendants of Charles Chagnon Charles Chagnon ..Zoe Hebert Father, Mother ..... 2 Ozias Chagnon b: Aug 10, 1842 Vercheres, Quebec, Canada d: Jan 10, 1922 Providence, Rhode Island ..... +Zoe Guertin b: Nov 10, 1856 Canada d: Nov 30, 1927 Providence, Rhode Island Father: Franois-Xavier .......Guertin Mother: Pauline (Appoline) Chalut ......... 3 Napoleon Chagnon b: Jan 07, 1882 Canada d: Nov 23, 1946 Rhode Island ......... +Rose Alma Brassard b: Apr 09, 1885 Canada d: Aft. 1946 Father: Mother: ........ 4 Lillian Chagnon b: Aug 05, 1902 ........... 4 Napoleon Arthur Chagnon b: Jul 06, 1903 Providence, Rhode Island ........... 4 Mathias Chagnon b: Dec 15, 1904 ........... +Marie R. E. Turner m: Nov 27, 1923 Providence, Rhode Island Father: Mother: .............. 5 Joseph N M Chagnon b: Dec 08, 1924 Providence, Rhode Island .............. 5 Joseph R. Chagnon b: Jul 20, 1926 Providence, Rhode Island ........... 4 Rosealma Chagnon b: Abt. 1908 ........... 4 Joseph N Chagnon b:Oct31, 1909 ........... 4 Alfred A. Chagnon b: Dec 20, 1914 Providence, RI d: Jul 21, 1915 Providence, Rhode Island ................4. Emile Joseph Chagnon b. Dec 23, 1918 Providence, RI d. Nov 1976 NH buried in Providence, RI ................. + Lucia Delphin b March 1, 1921 Providence, RI d. Feb 15, 2010 Carthage, MO Father, Mother ................5. Ann Chagnon b. Oct 22, 1941 Warwick, RI d. .... .....................+ William F Middleton b. Sept 26, 1938 in Oxnard, CA d. At his home on June 28, 2001 in Warsaw, MO Father Mother ...... 6. Todd Allen Middleton B Sept, in Providence, RI d. ............5. Ronal Mitchell Chagnon b. Oct 11, 1946 Cranston, RI d Nov,1998 no children

11: ...... | ...... . 5 [2] Colette Chagnon b: Sep 25, 1949 Cranston, Rhode Island ..........+David Gilbar Father: Mother: .................... 6 Lauralee Ann Gilbar b: Aug 13, 1971 New Britain, Connecticut ............... +William J. Whitcomb m: May 06, 1969 Jefferson, Colorado Father: Mother of: ........................ 7 Tammie Renée Whitcomb b.1989 Denver, CO d.April 1998 Denver, CO ....................... 7 Jessica Whitcomb b: 1991 Denver, Colorado ................ 6 Tammie Gilbar b: Sept 22, 1973 New Britain, Connecticut ..........................+Jason Barabash Father: Mother ...........................7 Caleb Barabash b. 2008 Hartford, Connecticut .........*2hd Husband of [2] Colette Chagnon: ........... . +William G. Merrill m: Jul 23, 1988 Jefferson County, CO Father: Step-Mother............... ....Jason Allen Merrill b Sept 24, 1976 Nebraska died in 2010 Phoenix, AZ .......... Aleesha, Kristal, and Selena ........................................... mother Diane ..............James R Merrill b.1980 New Braumfields, Texas .........+ Terri Di San Martino Father, Mother Hailey Merrill

12: Here lies a plethora of information. It is rich in history. Many times, stories, and family legends are told here, but as you read and re-read these pages, you'll find the same knowledge that I have found. When the legends are examined, you'll find that written records show these legends are at least partly true, and when our story is told in 50 years or so, we too will become colorful. One day I can hear you whispering to your son or daughter, "Your great grandma was a little crazy. It's been passed down from generation to generation. There was a relative, one of the Henderson's I think, that was committed. (This is true we have a copy of the commitment papers). My own GG had a nervous breakdown and your great grandfather who died in 1976, had to run and tackle her when she got up off of the porch and went running and screaming hysterically at the top of her lungs...." (Also true) My father was a drunkard when we were growing up and he always made promises that he never kept. My father was supposed to take us to the beach that day. He showed up 3 hours late and GG just lost it. Anyway, for the next 3 weeks she stayed in bed. She slept all that time and the little bit she was awake; she couldn't get out of bed. My father finally called a doctor to help her. | I can hear it now. You already have stories to tell your children, and this will add more to your repertories. Our family became colorful more than a century ago, and when our life stories are told, our hardships and failings, our successes and embarrassing moments will entertain others that we have passed life on to. | WaRtS & AlL

13: Emile Chagnon - My biological father and your GG | Lucia Delphin Do you remember when GG lived in assisted living this picture was hanging on her wall above the door in her room. She was 18 yrs old. | My mother and father when they were happy. | Here's a short story about my mom. Before she lost her long term memory, she'd tell me stories about different happenings in her life. One of those stories was that while on a trip to CA with her parents, they stopped somewhere in Ohio. It must have been for more than one night because she spoke of going roller skating more than one night in Ohio. (GG wanted to be a professional skater) and she was good at it. She met a man by the name of Johnny. In the short time they stayed there, Johnny and GG fell in love. They kept in touch by letters for a while. She decided to marry my father instead. I thought that was a neat story. I can't help wondering how life would have turned out if she had chosen to marry Johnny. I still don't know why she chose to marry my biological father. He didn't treat her very well. One thing he did while they were dating was leaving her in the car in a dark alley while he went in the bar and drank the whole night until he had to bring her back home. Well we all do stupid things when we are young. When she was a teen, her and some friends called for pizza. They ordered a bunch of them with the intention of not answering the door when they came to deliver it. They just kept knocking, so they took Mudgie (her younger sister, and shoved her out the window to face the delivery guy herself. When Mudgie told me that story, I laughed and laughed. I asked GG about it, and she verified that it was true. Poor Mudgie. (GG's sister)

14: Here is where I spent many of my school breaks. I loved it up in NH. I loved visiting my grandma and grandpa. Unfortunately, my grandma died when I was 7 or 8, but I do remember the times we did have together. My grandpa had cows, and he gave the cows the names of his grandchildren. One night, Annie was looking in the window and grandpa had to go chase her back to the pasture. That was funny the way he said Annie was looking in the window. Guess who that cow was named after? When we turned around and looked at the window, there she was, and believe me, a cow looking in the window of a house is hilarious. | The farmhouse was on the top of a hill and the pasture was steep. My grandpa would always put me on his lap while he drove the tractor on the slope. He'd run across the ground. Grandma would always catch us and would holler at him for taking me on the tractor. She'd always get mad because she was afraid of the tractor tipping over with me on it. Ah, as soon as she wasn't looking, I'd get back on it with him. I remember a bad thunderstorm with a lot of lightening. Grandpa insisted on going out and cutting one of the limbs near the street. (Or as we knew it - the mud path) I was so afraid of him getting hurt that I was crying and screaming. I remember she slapped me and that stopped me from screaming because she had never hit me before. Well, grandpa got back into the house without getting hit by lightning. You know what? Maybe grandma wasn't always fun to be around after all. Grandpa was though. He'd take us to the cow pasture where he had made a tire swing and push us in it. There were many happy times with grandpa. Even though he is not my biological grandfather, he was my grandpa, and all the same we kids loved him. | Grandpa always had a big garden and he grew all kinds of vegetables and some melons. He'd have all us kids shelling peas, snapping beans, husking corn, or something else to keep us busy. Grandma did all the canning. We weren't usually under foot, because the house was too hot while she was canning. So everything worked out fine, and get this, we actually liked doing those vegetables. It was family just sitting around and working together. | Here is my grandpa in 1967 just before he passed away. It was such a sad time for me, and for the other kids too. The picture inside the picture is my grandma. She passed away when I was young. While on his visit to us that year, my uncle George had lung cancer and died. (Grandpa helped raise GG and her 2 brothers, Gene and George) Grandpa took it so hard that he had a heart attack while he was there. GG followed him back to NH to make sure he got there OK He got there OK, but he died less than a week later. The death of George was too much for him to bear.

15: My grandfather came to America when he was only 16 years old. That would have been around 1908. He was born in 1892. He became a barber here in the states. He married Margory H Garrood and they had 3 kids. Gene, George, and Lucia. (GG) Oh, GG must have been the apple of his eye since she was the only girl and the youngest in the family. | Margorie Henderson Garrood | This picture of your great great grandmother was hanging on the wall above the doorway in GG's room in assisted living. It is her mother. She was beautiful as a teenager. I'm not sure where they met, but they fell madly in love. got married, and after 10 years of marriage they were still madly in love. | I can just picture it. A father comes home from work, tired and hungry. He comes in the door to be met by his loving wife. He gives her a kiss, holds her close for just a second. Then he is rushed by his boys who are happy to see their father home from work. He messes their hair, is generous with the hugs, and is again interrupted by his precious little daughter trying to get between her rough housing brothers only to be swept up in the arms of her strong daddy. She squeals with delight, her daddy smiles kisses her and talks some baby talk with her. Still holding her, he approaches his wife and asks what is for dinner. Then he takes his daughter with him while he goes in and sits down to play with the kids. I can just picture it. | Now on to the beginning of GG's story. This is my grandfather. Louis Delphin is GG's father. Unfortunately, he died at the age of 32. GG was only 3 years old.

16: The most numerically significant element in the new immigration were the Italians. From 1898 to 1932 federal tabulations listed 54,975 Italians migrating to Rhode Island. Of these, 51,919 were from the south of Italy (mostly rural peasants called conladini). and 3,054 from the more urbanized and culturally distinct north. An international steamship company, the Fabre Line out of Marseilles, France, chose Providence as its American terminus. The line's local presence also accounted for the great number of returnees among both groups. From 1908 to 1932, the period for which return statistics have been compiled, over 13,000 Italians and 7,000 Portuguese were listed as "emigrant aliens departing" from the port of Providence. No other local ethnics had such high rates of return. | GG missed having a father, it affected her in the deepest sense and she always felt as if she were an orphan she told me. She'd always cry when she'd talk about him, and how she had to grow up without him. That was his only girl, and I'm sure that she was really precious to him.. I think that his aching legs were part of Restless Leg Syndrome. Mine sometimes ache so badly that I just sit there wanting to cry. I also have restless legs, and have since I was little. | The sad saga continues, and it gets sadder. I found out how deeply GG felt that loss of her father until the day she died she mourned the loss of a father she never knew, and her mother wouldn't talk about. | I guess that I should start at the beginning of this saga. Louis worked in Wakefield, RI at a gas station. I know where it is, and your mother probably does too. It is at the road where we turned to go to Ben Brayton's house. Anyway, he was a mechanic and worked on his feet all day on the cement. He complained about his legs always hurting him. Doctors couldn't find out what was wrong with him so, they put him in the hospital to run some tests on him. They still couldn't figure this out so they could treat it. The spinal tap was first introduced in 1889 in London and was introduced in the US in 1893. This was not a truly safe form of testing. So when Louis went in to the hospital in 1924, it was still fairly new.

17: My mother was only 3 years old when he died. The 2 boys remembered him, but GG didn't. It broke my mother's heart, and my grandmother mourned his death until she died. My mother also mourned a man she never remembered, but she knew that everyone had a father, and she didn't. Her mother wouldn't talk about him. | Louis was from the south of Italy where the poor people were. Then there is a very good reason why Louis changed his name from Louigi Pasquali Delfini to Louis Pasquali Delphin. This was because of the prejudice against the Italians. It was quite a serious thing. He didn't want to be known as an Italian. So he changed his name. | Here's my grandmother when was a young and beautiful woman who loved her husband. She adored him, and he loved her madly. When he died, she mourned him deeply but had 3 children to raise. She married out of necessity. Allen loved my grandmother and thought of her children as his own. He was good to her, but she kept him at arms length. My mom told me that she just loved Allan, and he was good to her and her 2 brothers. They were like his own and all of them loved him. But, my grandmother would get mad at my mom because she wanted to be his little girl, but she wouldn't allow it. My grandma would always get mad at her and tell her that he wasn't her father. She had a father but he died. She didn't say that in a nice way to her either. She would add that men only want one thing. (guess who didn't like my grandfather?) Anyway, my mom felt that she lost 2 fathers. That's why she mourned her father. Her mother wouldn't let her have a live one and the other one was dead and she was constantly reminded of that. | Notwithstanding, this loss, however, those of Italian ancestry exhibit a strong presence in contemporary Rhode Island, especially in Providence (Federal Hill. Silver Lake, and the North End) and the adjacent communities of Cranston, Johnston, and North Providence. Other important Italian-American settlements were made in Woonsocket, Pawtucket, Barrington, Warren. Bristol, Westerly, and the Natick section of West Warwick. The 1980 census listed over 185,000 Rhode Islanders of Italian descent.

18: The reason that Louis Delphin did not want it to be known that he was Italian was that there was a lot of prejudice against the Italians as a whole. There was name calling, pushing, shoving, and sometimes violence against them. In Ohio, or somewhere in that vicinity of the US, there were some hangings of Italians. He wanted to be known as an American. He was naturalized before he died. Many of our relatives were naturalized. He lived in Providence when he came here, and was a barber. He did not stay long. He moved to an area of RI called Norwood in the city of Warwick. He met Marjorie Henderson and they fell madly in love with each other. They got married and had 2 boys and one girl. Even at 10 years of marriage, they were still in love. Later he became a mechanic in Narragansett, RI. I assume that this is where he began having leg problems. | The main reasons for Italian immigration were the push factor of poor economic opportunities in Italy during this period, particularly in the southern regions. Luigi Pasquali Delfini came from a poor southern city named Campono. This is probably the reason he went or was sent to America. Jobs were easily obtained in America and the immigrants had to be sponsored by relatives or friends. We don't know how much education he had, or even if he spoke English very well, but he didn't want to let it be known that he was Italian. Italians settled in cities and often dominated specific neighborhoods, called "Little Italies", where they could interact with one another, establish a familiar cultural presence, and find favorite foods. Most arrived with little cash or education; since most had been peasant farmers in Italy, they lacked craft skills and, therefore, generally performed manual labor. With a strong interest in food, they became fruit peddlers and gardeners, and opened neighborhood groceries and restaurants that catered to fellow Italians. The family was the central institution for the Italians. Basic values were taught primarily in the home, rather than the school. The mother was [and still is of course] the centerpiece of the Italian family, its heart, its teacher. She handled the finances and had primary responsibility for the education of the children. The father was the provider and the head of the family. The male and female roles were clearly defined. Soon, in cities all over there were pockets of Little Italy's. Residents could shop for their daily needs at open-air markets or in neighborhoods stores and it was not unusual to see dead rabbits or lambs hanging from hooks in shop windows and buckets of codfish outside on the street. The sidewalks were always crowded with shoppers and children playing. Men of all ages gathered on the street corners to socialize.

19: Going to the land of opportunity America - The land of plenty, at least that is what all immigrants believed about America.

20: The Mafia | My mom told me that she just loved Allan, and he was good to her and her 2 brothers. They were like his own and all of them loved him. But, my grandmother would get mad at my mom because she wanted to be his little girl, but she wouldn't allow it. My grandma would always get mad at her and tell her that he wasn't her father. She had a father but he died. She didn't say that in a nice way to her either. She would add that men only want one thing. (guess who didn't like my grandfather?) Anyway, my mom felt that she lost 2 fathers. That's why she mourned her father. Her mother wouldn't let her have a live one and the other one was dead and she was constantly reminded of that. | She married out of necessity. Allen loved my grandmother and thought of her children as his own. He was good to her, but she kept him at arms length. Allan Tripp married her with 3 kids and they had one of their own. He raised Louis's kids from after their father died until adulthood. He helped them with the problems of growing up, and the troublesome teens. She still did not love him and she grew old only to be a bitter old woman who couldn't stand her husband. I remember her grouching at him every time he tried to help her do something.

21: In the 1920s, the Klan ruled the countryside in Rhode Island. The state's Klan groups drew from the skilled labor and professional classes. Klan members controlled many towns' along with their government and police. By ROBERT L. SMITH Journal Staff Writer Growing up in the Smithfield countryside, Dr. Daniel Russell glimpsed one of the seldom-told chapters in local history. On summer Saturday nights, he and a friend would scramble up to the roof of the ice house in the back yard and peer across Georgiaville Pond. They climbed at dusk, because that's when the people in the field on the other side -- the adults in ghostly white -- lit the fiery cross. ''It was certainly something to see,'' recalls Russell, 79, a retired dentist. ''We couldn't hear what they were saying, but they'd have a big meeting and then they'd burn a cross. They had on these white robes and they would parade around. We used to kind of laugh.'' As the flames died, the two boys would climb down and run home, as if sensing they had witnessed something they were not meant to see. They probably need not have worried about their safety. Those hooded marchers were almost certainly neighbors. In 1920s Rhode Island, especially in the rural towns of the Northwest, a new force captured the allegiance of townspeople. The knights of the Ku Klux Klan spread their anti-Catholic, anti-immigrant, and anti-black venom among a welcoming populace. Klan gatherings were as common as clambakes and often drew a comparable crowd... | The article goes on to say that the men who belonged to the KKK were normal people. They were bankers, business owners, and their next door neighbors.... in the 1920's they were more or less going after Immigrants and Catholics. ''Outside of New England, you didn't see many Klan’s celebrating at clambakes,'' says Smith. But in western Rhode Island, men and women wore white sheets to oyster suppers, chowder dinners and tent meetings. By 1924, newspapers were announcing Klan meetings as they might a community picnic. A news brief on the front page of The Evening Bulletin of July 18, 1924, alerted Klansmen to a ''union meeting'' The Klansman was not known for the violence that the Southern KKK was known for. The south was violent, and the north was intimidating and terrifying. They burned crosses and twice they tried to burn down a school built for the blacks.... the clansman in the south were more adept in floggings, lynchings, and brandings.... In any case, this is what not only the Italian and the Catholic immigrants, but all the immigrants during that time...It hasn't really changed has it? Today it is the Hispanics and tomorrow it will be another group. At Jeremiah 10:23 that it is not for man to direct his own footsteps..... We need guidance to know how to walk.

22: Smaller Klan groups met in Scituate churches, Burrillville barns, and the lodges of leading fraternal societies. Their white hoods masked bankers, merchants and even town officials. ''It's sort of like a secret that people don't talk about,'' says Scituate town historian Barbara Sarkesian. ''All the movers and shakers in the community -- the Masons and the Odd Fellows -- were all members of the Klan.'' In a state founded on the principle of religious tolerance, America's foremost hate group found fertile soil, the historical record indicates.... | Though Democratic leaders would later attribute Ku Klux Klan violence to poorer southern whites, the organization's membership crossed class lines, from small farmers and laborers to planters, lawyers, merchants, physicians and ministers. In the regions where most Klan activity took place, local law enforcement officials either belonged to the Klan or declined to take action against it, and even those who arrested accused Klansman found it difficult to find witnesses willing to testify against them. | In 1915, white Protestant activists organized a revival of the Ku Klux Klan near Atlanta, Georgia, inspired by their romantic view of the Old South as well as Thomas Dixon’s 1905 book “The Clansman” and D.W. Griffith’s 1915 film “Birth of a Nation.” This second generation of the Klan was not only anti-black but also took a stand against Roman Catholics, Italians, Jews, foreigners and organized labor. It was fueled by growing hostility to the surge in immigration that America experienced in the early 20th century along with fears of communist revolution akin to the Bolshevik triumph in Russia in 1917. The organization took as its symbol a burning cross and held rallies, parades and marches around the country. At its peak in the 1920s, Klan membership exceeded 4 million people nationwide.

23: Founded in 1866, the Ku Klux Klan (KKK) extended into almost every southern state by 1870 and became a vehicle for white southern resistance to the Republican Party’s Reconstruction-era policies aimed at establishing political and economic equality for blacks. Its members waged an underground campaign of intimidation and violence directed at white and black Republican leaders. | After a period of decline, white Protestant activist groups revived the Klan in the early 20th century, burning crosses and staging rallies, parades and marches denouncing immigrants, Catholics, Jews, blacks and organized labor. | At its peak in the 1920s, Klan membership exceeded 4 million people nationwide. | Imagine how intimidating and terrifying to be witness to this, especially if it was meant for you. | Uh-oh, seems as if I opened a can of worms. Maybe I can stop it before too many worms get out. | I don't wonder why my Italian grandfather stayed away from the Italian neighborhoods, changed his name, and kept a low profile. I wouldn't want the KKK looking at me and then burning a cross on my lawn. They lived in an area where Italians didn't go when choosing a place to settle down. He and grandma went to a section of Warwick that was named Norwood. They bought a house there. That was the section of Warwick that I was raised too, but not in the same house

24: He was born and raised in England. They lived near to Scotland where the potato famine had ravaged Ireland.The effects were felt in England too. This land became economically depressed. The exact reason that William F left home and the year he left is unknown. He had to have left early, because even though the letters were first saved in 1843, they speak of him having had an accident, brain fever, and he had already been on ships that captured slavers. The letters are interesting. My cousin Cathy is the historian in the family and she loves to do family histories. Much of the putting together of the information was done by her. GG and I did some of it before she lost her memory. Cathy's family ended up with the Henderson's letters and my mom with the Garood letters. After my mom died, I gave Cathy the Garrood letters since she does the family history. | In a bank vault under the Providence River in the mid 1970's the bankers were cleaning out the old and unpaid safe boxes. One safe box contained many letters and documents from my Grand-Mother's life. No one knew that she had these papers. Of course, they had to find the next of kin to give the contents of the box to. Somehow, GG ended up with them. (Unfortunately, I found out just recently that she got herself a lawyer) Now I understand one reason why there was a rift in the family. We tried to piece the information together from the original letters dating back to 1843. Some of the letters were from Elizabeth Kibble to her son William F. Garrood. He was in service and sailed in His Majesty's Service. Later, the ships were associated with the service of the king, and were just known as His Majesty's Ships. | I find this part of my family rather colorful, and I hope that you will find them that way too. I continue to ask myself questions as to why they did the things they did, why their families were not close, and how many feelings got hurt in each of them. Did the hurt feelings go so far as to remain unmentioned and each walked away? or were they never close to begin with? In any case, I fell in love with my family. I worried about some, and wondered where and why some seemed to be lost after a mothers' death. Several trails run out and we could not find them, and the family never mentioned them again.

25: WOW ... look what I found. We need to find the next of kin. | We'll talk about William Fredrick Garrood. He left England when he was very young. He found himself in His Majesty's Service. The Navy branch of it. (Referred from now as HMS) This is what the ships were all named. He spoke 5 languages, and was thought highly of by everyone. He is your great-great-great-great grandfather. Sounds like he was a very interesting man who had an adventurous life, although if he were here he might feel very differently about that statement. After I found out what life was like aboard the ships in those days, the notion of any romanticism went right out the door. In any case, he fell sick in Brazil and almost died of brain fever. Before he had left home, he had committed some type of indiscretion but they were not spelled out in the letters. He also helped his mother as much as he could. He sent her to do a lot of his bidding but had no success because these were things that he needed to do himself. The things were property his father had left for him. I don't know where the property came from or if it was his father's and was given to his father by his father. That is why I don't understand why Elizabeth (his mother) did not have access to this property. It seems that since Elizabeth was married to William's father, (William Richard Garrood) why did she ever leave the home that they shared? See what I mean? Questions that are answered leave more questions. | The conditions aboard an HMS ship were far better than any other type ships. (Such as the Schooner Sarah W Hunt that Alexander Henderson found himself on in 1883.)The crew was fed very well on these HMS ships and they were given a daily dose of beer to boot. They also received vegetables and fruit almost everyday. They were kept busy scrubbing the decks and polishing the rails. This kept bacteria down and lessened the effect of salt water on the deck of the boat. One extra bonus was it kept the crew busy and not fighting with one another. | Some of the ships William Fredrick Garrood worked on were ships that looked for and captured slave ships. Since slavery was outlawed in both England and America when they captured these ships they were paid for the capture. The ship that captured the slave ships were awarded prize money. This money was distributed among the captain and crew. for each person on each ship captured. Of course, it was not divided evenly. | Just think of the possibilities. At John 5:28-29 Jesus speaks of a resurrection of the righteous and unrighteous. Your sister Tammie and I will have a great time looking up our earlier generations and listening to their stories. I want to know why his relatives were snobby to his family when they inquired about the property. They insisted there was none, and that would suffice except for the fact that they were not friendly, did not know there was a child, nor did they extend any invitations of warmth and family closeness.

26: His mother was Elizabeth Story Garrood Kibble and his father was William Richard Garrood. His father died when he was about six years old. His mother remarried a man named Francis Kibble. I'm not sure if they had any children together. There was no mention of any brothers or sisters in the letters. Some of the original letters are difficult to read. So before GG had to go to an assisted living home, we worked together trying to decipher these. Some of the ones that we did decipher will be on these pages, but you will have to match them up. The subject of the prize money is very prominent in the letters. Each alluded to one that had not yet been collected by William. | He had retained an attorney but his retainer had run out and the attorney needed more money to follow the trail of the property that he had a legal right to. It was mentioned that his father left it to him. Clearly William needed to go home and take care of his business himself instead of delegating this to his mother who was sick, and an aunt that had met with tragedies herself. She was widowed with 2 or 3 children to raise and she also took care of her mother who was ill and dying. A lot of information is missing, and it leaves much to the imagination. That is not to say that it is not interesting. Myself? I love it and can't wait until the resurrection so I can meet him and ask lots of questions. I want to know what his indiscretion was and why he couldn't come back to England yet. I want to know what it was like to live in the 1800's. Your sister Tammie and I will have a great time looking up our earlier generations and listening to their stories. I want to know why his relatives were snobby to his family when they inquired about the property. They insisted there was no property, and that would suffice except for the fact that they were not friendly, did not know there was a child, nor did they extend any invitations of warmth and family closeness. | His mother was old and sick. She was also poor and was in dire need much of the time. At one time she told William that she was trying to stay out of the "workhouse." This was the original poor house and it was not a nice place to be. It was a place that only the destitute of the destitute went. The conditions were horrific. Husbands, wives, and children were separated from each other. Hard work was expected from every one even the small children. They were not fed enough and many were weak. Once in the workhouses, it was difficult if not impossible to get out of that workhouse. Fights often broke out and the people involved were severely punished. Whipping was an acceptable form of punishment in that day. Even the children were spanked severely if the rules were not followed, including no talking. Food was often withheld as a form of punishment added on to the former. So you can see that William's mother had a legitimate concern about what was going to happen to her and let him know just how desperate she was. He sent her money when he could.

27: Our family comes from the Great Britain area and Italy. They lived their lives the best that they could. In the 1800's and earlier, there were many, many things that just were not spoken of. In fact, they were never even mentioned. There's so much to think about as we get a glimpse of their private lives and the decisions they made. Everything they said and did, put us in line to be born who we are. Not only who we are, but the genes we will inherit that make us healthy or frail, and the mental types of soundness and frailties. There are questions that come to mind when reading about our family, and even when some of the questions are answered from family history that was passed down through our families, it only raises more questions. | Our Roots | of | Such is the case with the twin brother of your great-great-great grandmother, Jane Henderson. Her brother, Alexander Henderson was one of the 13 missing crewmen from the Sarah W. Hunt ship while they were hunting seal. The sufferings and antics of Alex Henderson takes you from pity, to confusion, to questionable actions and to embarrassment. Then back to questions that are not included in the written history of this man. | Our families came from Great Britain, Italy, and from Canada in the mid to late 1800's. This was in and around the time of the great potato famine, economical depression, and uncertain times. In their own countries people were dying of hunger, or being worked to death in the work houses. (came to be known as "the poorhouse.") Life was dire in those days, and people came to America with faith in the things that people were saying about America. "The land of opportunity." For some it was the land of opportunity, but for most of them it was a life on the edge of poverty and working hard to obtain that status. By spring cleaning our closets, we'll be taking out some of the skeletons, dusting them off, and setting them on the porch for all to see. This is when I started feeling like a part of their family and began feeling, and caring for them. | This too we will see about. After all, life is long and filled with misery, and sprinkled in between those miseries are moments of hope, smiles, and a sigh of relief. On again with the life that we have. We can look back on theirs, and breath a sigh of relief with a moment of hope that will pass by soon enough. Just sit back and live in their moments of hope with them as they reveal part of their lives to us. We are the ones that came from them, yet we were not even a twinkle in their eyes yet.

28: I was just on Ancestry trying to find out when William F Garrood came into this country, but I can't find him on the passenger lists coming into Providence or Boston Ports. We don't know how old he was when he went into HMS or how long he stayed in it. He could have gone into the service right after he committed some act of indiscretion. In any case, he came into the US and landed in Boston. He married Bridget Barnes in 1853 in Boston. They had a son and they named him Francis W Garrood. He was born in Boston. This is interesting too, William was 28 when he and Bridget got married, and she was only 18. In any case, the result of their marriage was Francis (Frank) Garrood. OK, now we know that Frank Garrood was born. I hope to find something interesting about this family, and get back to him. | OOPPS, I found one of them skeletons. | The colorful members of our family begin with the Garrood's and the Henderson's. The Garrood's began in Great Britain which includes England, Scotland and Ireland. The Henderson parents originated in Scotland which is part of Great Britain. There are interesting things going on in each of the families. There are letters from both families that date back to 1843. I will only put a few those in here, but if you would like a copy of them just let me know and I will make copies for you so you can read them yourself. There are original documents, certificates, and newspaper articles that back up this information and I am gathering that information now online while making a family tree at "Ancestry.com." I'll begin with the Garrood family. This is my favorite of the Garrood's and these letters leave a lot of unanswered questions that feed the imagination. | We are going to get back to the Henderson's in a bit but first I want you to know what the conditions were like aboard these Slave ships. So after the information on the slave ships, the subject will be the Henderson's. Believe me, by then you will be glad that the subject changed. | OHHH NOO I let another skeleton out of the closet. AWW what the heck, we are going to get them out, polish them off and set them on the front porch for everyone to see anyway. | Until then, their voices remin silent

29: These are the copies of the originals letter from Elizabeth Kibble to her son William Garrood. It's a crying shame that letter writing has gone out of style. It's difficult for people to spell, let alone write meaningful words to each other. People would wait for weeks, sometimes months to get a letter or an answer to a letter. Then the receiver of the letter would read and reread each letter again and again. Each word was cherished and each letter was priceless. They were rarely thrown away, but were saved until they died, and then their children would find them and keep them. Sometimes it would find their way into the grand children's hands. In this case, the great grand children's hands. Not the original, but even copies are precious. At some time in each of our lives we want to know about our heritage. We want to know who we are and where we came from. There are skeletons in everyone's family closet. Ours is no different.

30: About Hanging Captain Gordon Book Description Excerpt | Attrition was the inevitable result of any slaving voyage. There would always be deaths; it was just a question of numbers. The deaths were frequent enough, however, that the crewmen of slavers often told of the schools of sharks that followed their ships all the way from Africa to their final destination. Much has been written about the horrors of the infamous Middle Passage - the voyage from Africa to America, Brazil, or the islands of the Caribbean - so called because it represented the second leg of a 3-part trip by the slaver: from home in the United States or Europe to Africa for the cargo of slaves; then from Africa to the place of sale; and finally, home again. The Middle Passage took anywhere from several weeks to 3 months. Debilitated, often already ill and half-starved from the trek from the African interior to the coast and the waiting slave ship, the Africans "are packed below in as dense a mass as it is possible for human beings to be crowded; the space allotted them being about four feet high between decks, there, of course, can be but little ventilation given. These unfortunate beings are obliged to attend to the calls of nature in this place - tubs being provided for the purpose - and here they pass their days, their nights, amidst the most horribly offensive odors of which the mind can conceive, and this under the scorching heat of the tropical sun, without room enough for sleep; with scarcely space to die in; with daily allowance of food and water barely sufficient to keep them alive.... | All ships at sea had their own cacophony of sounds: the wind in the sheets and sails, the groan and crack of wood driven by water and weather, the commands of the officers shouting to be heard above it all, and the responding cries of the crew. Aboard a slaver, the perpetual groans and pleadings of hundreds of desperate, often dying humans were added as well. | Jess, The words below are taken from the book and author pictured. I have only put excerpts of these excerpts to give you the flavor of what your great grandfather 5 generations ago faced on his voyages.

31: In 1854, the slaver Captain Theodore Canot, a contemporary of Gordon, recorded his memoirs of a lifetime of trafficking in humans. He tells of the ship Volador, which lost 136 of its 747 captives: "The degree of mortality was not unusual; neither was the overcrowding. The slaves were laid on their sides, spoon-fashion, the bent knees of one fitting into the hamstrings of his neighbour. On some vessels, they could not even lie down; they spent the voyage sitting in each other's laps. The stench was terrific. A British officer testified that one could smell a slaver 'five miles down wind."' | Captives died of disease, thirst, starvation, suffocation, exhaustion, suicide, and sometimes, simply despair. If a captive attempted suicide and failed, he or she would be mutilated, tortured or executed, to provide an example for the others. Should slaves revolt against the horrific conditions, they would be summarily hanged, shot, or drowned. | Commanded by Captain Luke Collingwood, the British ship Zong picked up 400 African slaves, and set sail for Jamaica on September 6, 1781. Within two and a half months, he had lost 60 captives; several more were ill, and he was running short of water. If the slaves were to die on their own, the ship's owners would take the loss. However, if they were thrown over the side while living, it could be claimed that they were washed overboard. This would be attributed to "perils of the sea," and the insurance company would have to pay. Consequently, the captain selected 54 sick slaves, and cast them overboard, living and bound. Two days later, he followed with another 42. That day, it rained, providing the ship with enough water for 11 days. Nonetheless, Collingwood threw 26 more into the sea, bound at the wrists. As he was about to prepare another ten for a like fate, they elected to take their own lives and jumped overboard. The underwriters of the voyage, suspicious, refused to honor the insurance policy. The ship owners sued them, and the British courts obliged them to pay the premium.

32: Stories abound of slaver captains who chose to jettison their cargo rather than face fine, imprisonment, or forfeiture of their vessels. One such slaver, an Englishman named Homans, had already completed 10 successful voyages, delivering around 5000 Africans to the shores of Brazil and Cuba. On the return of his eleventh voyage, he found his brig, the Brillante, surrounded by four cruisers. He immediately had his cargo of 600 manacled captives herded to the rail and bound to the anchor chain. When the cruisers' boats lowered and made for the Brillante, Homans had the anchor thrown over side; it plummeted to the ocean floor, carrying every man, woman and child with it. When the warships' crew boarded the Brillante, they found clear evidence that several hundred human beings had occupied the hold only moments before, but they could do nothing. They were forced to release the brig, as Homans "jeered in their faces and defied them as they stood on his deck." | What would allow for such a callous disregard for life? Greed. In fact, a successful slaving voyage was profitable beyond all reason. It has been estimated that during the mid-1800's, when Nathaniel Gordon was pursuing his career, a slave purchased in Africa for approximately $40 worth of trade goods would bring a price ranging from $400 to $1200. Therefore, the selling price of a cargo of, say, 800 slaves ranged between $320,000 and $960,000. Even after factoring in the cost of outfitting the ship, paying - and paying off - all the people involved in the voyage, and the inevitable loss of "inventory," a successful slaving expedition realized a profit many times in excess of the initial investment. Consider that $100 in the 1850's would be worth around $4000 today, and the allure of such a venture becomes apparent. Given such returns, a single successful trip could more than compensate for three or four previous failures, and make the fortunes of investors and captain.... | XX

33: Such a case occurred in 1845, in what has been described as "the cruelest of slave voyages." The Africa Squadron seized the Pons carrying 850 males in a space of less than two thousand square feet. The Africans were piled on mats atop bags of farina. Another fifty females were cramped in the deck cabin. None had been fed in three days at sea. Commander Charles H. Bell of the US Yorktown wrote of his discovery: "The stench from below was so great that it was impossible to stand, more than a few moments, near the hatchways. Our men who went below ... were force[d] up sick in a few minutes. Then all the hatches were off. What must it have been the sufferings of these poor wretches when the hatches were closed?" The Yorktown took the seized vessel to Monrovia and turned over the Africans to the ACS agent for recaptured Africans. This was by far the largest group of Africans liberated by the United States since 1808: .In the end, the society spent tens of thousands of dollars on medical care, clothing, and food. It had every reason to believe the U.S. government would reimburse its efforts for the recaptured Africans, so it presented a proposal to Congress in 1847. But Congress did not act for another four years, appropriating a sum far lower than the ACS had hoped ($50 per person rather than $100). | X | X | X | No life preservers allowed Anchors are welcome

35: Such a case occurred in 1845, in what has been described as "the cruelest of slave voyages." The Africa Squadron seized the Pons carrying 850 males in a space of less than two thousand square feet. The Africans were piled on mats atop bags of farina. Another fifty females were cramped in the deck cabin. None had been fed in three days at sea. Commander Charles H. Bell of the US Yorktown wrote of his discovery: "The stench from below was so great that it was impossible to stand, more than a few moments, near the hatchways. Our men who went below ... were force[d] up sick in a few minutes. Then all the hatches were off. What must it have been the sufferings of these poor wretches when the hatches were closed?" The Yorktown took the seized vessel to Monrovia and turned over the Africans to the ACS agent for recaptured Africans. This was by far the largest group of Africans liberated by the United States since 1808: .In the end, the society spent tens of thousands of dollars on medical care, clothing, and food. It had every reason to believe the U.S. government would reimburse its efforts for the recaptured Africans, so it presented a proposal to Congress in 1847. But Congress did not act for another four years, appropriating sum far lower than the ACS had hoped ($50 per person rather than $100).

36: Now, in stark contrast, I'll tell you what life was like aboard the HMS ships. Life was as unfair yesterday as it is today. Ecclesiastes 1:8-9 says, "There is nothing new under the sun."So unfairness is not anything new. | Slave ships were the most inhumane of all. | "Many large whales and sharks about us the later is owing to the number of poor fellows who have lately been thrown overboard. Many of those liberated from captured slave-ships were often in urgent need of medical help due to the conditions aboard, as Richard Drake, a slave smuggler describes: "Last Tuesday the smallpox began to rage, and we hauled 60 corpses out of the hold.... The sights which I witness may I never look on such again. This is a dreadful trade...... I am growing sicker every day of this business of buying and selling human beings for beasts of burden... On the eighth day [out at sea] I took my round of the half deck, holding a camphor bag in my teeth; for the stench was hideous. The sick and dying were chained together. I saw pregnant women give birth to babies whilst chained to corpses, which our drunken overseers had not removed. The blacks were literally jammed between decks as if in a coffin; and a coffin that dreadful hold became to nearly one half of our cargo before we reached Bahia [in Brazil]". Richard Drake, Revelation of a Slave Smuggler, 1860. Boarding and cleansing the decks of captured ships was a horrific task. Before the African captives could be released the slave ship had been condemned by the courts, occasionally the struggle proved futile and the captives had to be handed back to the traders. In the early years of the suppression, conditions for sailors of the West Coast of Africa Squadron were also very harsh with long months cruising off shore and a high death toll. In 1829, the squadron's worst year, 204 out of 792 men died, mainly of malaria or yellow fever. The men, however could earn prize money, either ‘head money' for liberated slaves or a tonnage bounty for captured ships. Crews received more money for capturing loaded slavers than empty ones. The Royal Navy captured well over 500 slave ships between 1807 and 1866 and prevented numerous ships from embarking. | xx | This is the end of the slave ships part of the book.

37: I am beginning to believe that William left home at a much earlier age than thought. He was born in 1824, and was already in the HMS in 1842 when he met with a dreadful accident, again no details, just more questions. That would have made him only 18, but we don't know how long he had been in service. Elizabeth Kibble made it sound as if he had been gone quite a while. Well, whatever age he was, it must have been a tough life. | He had cousins or aunts named Caroline and Rebekah. One went to Australia and one stayed in England when money became scarce. (From the famine I guess) The one that went to Australia did pretty well - she married a fine man and had some children. The one that stayed in England later wished that she had gone to America when William asked her to. Things got so bad in England. She was very poor and took care of her sick mother until she died. | Life in His Majesty's service was not as crude as I thought. In fact, they were treated pretty well, but they worked 10 hour shifts 7 days a week. Cleanliness was credited with low rates of illnesses. Scrubbing the deck on hands and knees was the most important job. This was the way they kept down the mold from all the salt water. | The diet of the men aboard an HMS ship during the 1840's was very good and the cleanliness of the ship was of utmost importance. They worked hard at cleaning the decks on knees at time. Flogging was allowed and encouraged to keep the men in line. The floggings were limited by law to 48 lashes. The diet for the men included meat, biscuits, vegetables, and a daily allotment of beer or Grog. This was excellent conditions compared to conditions aboard regular ships. Aboard trade and slave ships treatment and conditions went downhill. The latter is the most horrendous of all. I will put some quotes in here from references I have researched. | Now to the Henderson's for more surprises

38: Just a few notes more on this book. (There are many questions that I have. Just a few of them are: Why was William off to sea on an HMS ship at such an early age? What was his indiscretion? Why didn't he come home to handle his unsettled financial gains? Why did he keep sending his mother and aunt or cousin to settle these issues? When and why did he settle in the US? Those are just a few of the questions I have. The second part of this book will tell of how things were in those days and possible reasons for some of the things that were done. Descendants of William Richard GARROOD Generation No. 1 1. William Richard2 GARROOD (Unk1) was born Abt. 1787 in England, and died Jul 18, 1830 in Camden, Saint Pancras Parish Church, London, England (Source: London, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-1980 > Camden > Saint Pancras Parish Church > 1830). He married Elizabeth Storey (Source: London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921.) Jan 13, 1817 in St. Ann's Church, Blackfriars, London, England (Source: (1) Colette Chagnon., (2) London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921.), daughter of Henry Storey. Marriage Notes for William GARROOD and Elizabeth Storey: In her letter, Elizabeth gives date as Jan 3, 1817. According to London Records, was Jan. 13, 1817 at St. Ann, Blackfriars Child of William R. GARROOD and Elizabeth Storey is: + 2 i. William Frederick3 GARROOD, born Jul 18, 1824 in England; died Bef. 1860 in Massachusetts. Generation No. 2 2. William Frederick3 GARROOD (William Richard2, Unk1) was born Jul 18, 1824 in England (Source: Colette Chagnon.), and died Before. 1860 in Massachusetts. He met Bridgett BARNETT Jul 25, 1852 in Boston, Massachusetts (Source: Boston , MA Public Records: Marriage, V.62, pg88, a copy in Garrood notebook.), daughter of John BARNETT and Mary (unk). Notes for William Frederick GARROOD: Part of his history of HMS ships. VERNON,50. (1832 Woolwich. Torpedo school 1876) 1834 Capt. John M'KERLIE, 8/34, Mediterranean. 1838 Sheerness. 1840 Capt. William Walpole, 10/40 Mediterranean. 1845 Capt. John C. FITZGERALD, 5/45, S.E. coast of America. SATELLITE,18. (1826 Pembroke. BU 1849) 1826 John LAWS, 11/26, Plymouth. 1828 ditto, East Indies. 1831 M. Theodore HARE (act.), 5/31, East Indies. 1832 Robert SMART, 9/32, South America. 1834 G.W.C. LYDIARD, 10/34, South America. 1836 Robert SMART, 2/35, South America. 1837- John ROBB, 10/36, N.A.W.I. 1842 Portsmouth. 1844 Robert ROWLEY, 12/43, S.E. Coast of America. 1848 Sheerness. RALEIGH,50. (1845 Chatham. Wrecked 1857) SPITEFUL,12. GV. 1799- John HARFORD, Portsmouth. 1803 Lieut. John WOOD, Portsmouth.

39: FROLIC,16. (1842 Portsmouth. Sold 1864) 1844 Cospatrick HAMILTON, 11/42, Brazils. In 1843 she captured the following slavers: 6 July, EMPREHEN DEDORA; 1 August, ISABEL; 1 September, VINCEDORA. Since none of the vessels were carrying proper papers the names could only be assumed. FROLIC's crew received bounty payments in December 1845. 1846 - HAMILTON, 4/44, Pacific. 1848 Nicholas VANSITARTT, 6/48, Portsmouth. 1850 ditto, Mediterranean. Notes for Bridgett BARNETT: she is not in the 1870 US census. In 1860 she was running a boarding house in Boston with her 2 children. 1860 Boston City Directory: Mrs. W. F. Garrood house at 4 Purchase St. More About Bridgett BARNETT: Fact 1: 1865, Massachusetts State Census. Suffolk County Children of William GARROOD and Bridgett BARNETT are: + 3 i. Francis W.4 GARROOD, born May 28, 1853 in Worcester, Massachusetts; died Nov 08, 1890 in Boston, Massachusetts. 4 ii. Mary E. Garrood, born Nov 22, 1854 in Worcester, Massachusetts (Source: Boston , MA Public Records: Birth, V.83 Pg254, copy in Garrood notebook.); died Aug 12, 1875 in Boston, Massachusetts (Source: Boston , MA Public Records: Death, V. 276, Pg 185, copy in Garrood notebook.). Notes for Mary E. Garrood: What ever happened to her? Found no marriage/death for her in Boston. Generation No. 3 3. Francis W.4 GARROOD Frederick3, William Richard2, Unk1) (Source: Massachusetts archives vital records.) was born May 28, 1853 in Worcester, Massachusetts (Source: (1) Massachusetts: 1860 Federal Census., (2) Massachusetts archives vital records: birth, V.74, Pg 251, (copy in Garood notebook.), and died Nov 08, 1890 in Boston, Massachusetts (Source: Boston , MA Public Records: Death, 411:367.). He married Jane HENDERSON Feb 04, 1884 in Boston, Massachusetts (Source: Boston , MA Public Records: Marriage, 354:29, copy in Garrood daughter of Donald HENDERSON and Catherine GUNN. A couple more notes. Cathy is Aunt Ann's and my cousin. She lives in RI and is the one who loves to do this family history tracing and doing all the work of looking things up. When it says "in the Garrood Notebook, it refers to the notebook that she is keeping in tracing out the family history.

40: Children of Francis GARROOD and Jane HENDERSON are: 5 i. Francis William5 Garrood II, born Aug 14, 1884 in Boston, Massachusetts (Source: Boston , MA Public Records: Birth, 351:75, copy in Garrood notebook.); died Sep 06, 1886 in Boston, Massachusetts (Source: Boston , MA Public Records: Death, 375:241, copy in Garrood notebook.). 6 ii. Marjorie Henderson GARROOD, born Nov 13, 1888 in Boston, Massachusetts (Source: Boston , MA Public Records: Birth, 387:153, copy in Garrood notebook.); died 1961 in Alstead, New Hampshire (Source: (1) "obituary.", (2) Marjorie Tripp Wilson.). She married (1) Luigi Pasquale DELFINI Sep 07, 1914 in Church of the Epiphany, Providence, RI (Source: Rhode Island Marriages, 1636-1930.). Louigi Pasaquale Delfini died 1924. She then married (2) Allan Farwell Tripp May 09, 1928 in New London, Connecticut (Source: Marriage certificate.). Notes for Marjorie Henderson GARROOD: sold house on Sand Pond Rd, Warwick to Lucia and Emile Chagnon and moved to Alstead NH in 1946. Mudgie said they bought the place without ever going inside, it was dead of winter. They bought it for the view.

41: Notes for Francis W. GARROOD: In death records of Boston, he is "of Frederick W. and Bridget" 1890 living at 184 Eustis St., Boston, MA. He was a painter. More About Francis W. GARROOD: Fact 1: 1885, Boston City Directory: Painter, 3 Purchase St. Fact 2: 1875, painter, bds 309 Athens (Source: Boston City Directory 1875.) Notes for Jane HENDERSON: lived at 342 Public St., Providence RI from 1913 to 1914 with daughter, Marjorie Garrood. (she is my grandmother) Buried Pocasset Cemetary. Lived at 342 Public St., Providence, RI. Age 69 years, 6 months, 9 days. Cause of death: carcinoma of breast

42: How many cans of worms will these keys open? | Catherine Gunn . Watch her grow up in an instant. She was a frail girl who grew to be a frail adult. | The story was never told as to if or when he ever found the property and exactly who left it to him. He did collect some of the prize money, but it is unknown whether he went back to England to collect the rest of it from other ships. These ships were sailing the seas around the African Coast and looking for slave ships, but read on to find the absolute horror as to what the people of these slave ships went through. It is unknown whether or not he ever went back to England or when he came to the US. He may have ended one of his commissions in the US and just got off the ship and stayed. He did marry Bridget Barnes also of English descent and settled in the Boston area. Is it showing yet as to why we were born and raised in the RI and Boston area? Well, on with the story of the uniting of the Garrood and the Henderson families. But first we do have to introduce the Henderson family and here it begins on the next page.

43: And still the plot thickens. This is where things get very interesting. | Introducing the Garrood's and the Henderson's | While I don't have a picture of the Garrood family, the letters are plentiful and always raising questions. I do have a picture of several Hendersons. I will post them somewhere in this book. | Let's take a look and see shall we? | Family rumor has it that Catherine Gunn was a frail child that grew into a frail woman who had 9 children. Her children saw her do nothing but have children and work hard around the house. If the babies didn't kill her, the housework would have in short time. It is no wonder why she was frail. In fact, she died giving birth to their 10th child in 1871. Donald Henderson had a farm, and I imagine that with all the housework, kids, and vegetables coming in, she probably had to make everything herself including bread, butter, pick up eggs from the chickens prepare them too I love canning, but not for a family of that size. She probably had to can many, many, many quarts of vegetables to last the winter. Imagine doing laundry every day, by hand, for 11 people, cooking 3 meals a day for 11 people from scratch. They lived in New Brunswick, Canada which is pretty far north. The winters I'm sure were absolutely horrible, and utterly, cold. You may think that it is cold in WY, but it is summer compared to living that far north. Is it any wonder why there was little gossiping in those days, there was very little time for it. People just didn't talk about their family problems to anyone. As for things like sex, it was not mentioned and many girls were never told about their period, they just woke up bleeding and not knowing why. They mostly did not talk to their mothers about those things, it just was not something that was mentioned even in passing.

44: Donald Henderson and Catherine Gunn were both born in Scotland. The Gunn and the Henderson families knew one another in Scotland and both moved to North America. The Gunn family moved to Searsmont, Maine, and the Henderson's went to Canada. Donald and Catherine married in Boston, and moved immediately to Richibucto, New Brunswick, Canada. The family does claim that Catherine Gunn had 12 children, but we only saw 9 in all the census's. Donald Jr was the child she died giving birth to which would have been number 10. Besides cooking 3 meals a day, picture having to scrub clothes by hand, making bread by hand, no machines, making kids clothes, getting the kids off to school, and a ton of other things too. There was no TV to entertain the kids, no tablets, no computer, and most homes did not have any electricity either. Do you know what an outhouse is? PU ! What a difficult life. Catherine Gunn Henderson was frail to begin with and then she must have had a very difficult life as a wife and mother and then she died at the age of 39 while giving birth. The older kids grew up seeing their mother work so hard and having babies ever year or 2, many of them decided not to get married themselves. It could not have been easy for her. If she was frail, then she was not feeling well herself a lot of the time. The kids saw that too. Clothes were handmade in those days. Imagine the coldest winter you have ever been through and then imagine it being another 30 degrees colder with the wind blowing harder than you've seen it. Where they lived was pretty far north. We just don't know what she had to go through. When Catherine Gunn died in Rexton, New Brunswick, Canada, while giving birth to their last child, Donald buried her there in Rexton. The patron Donald himself had to be a hard working man to support his family. He has on the census listed himself a farmer of 36 acres. That was not all he was up to. Family legend has it that Donald had himself a tunnel from his home to the river where he could smuggle whiskey and that is what he did. He was a bootlegger and a farmer. He also died in a strange way. It was not just strange , but it was kind of comical too. Later, you will just have to wait. Besides keeping his wife pregnant, and possibly smuggling whiskey, we don't know much about him. I sure wish that I had paid more attention to the visit to Donald Henderson in RI 20 years ago. I sure would have asked him about his grandfather. This Donald Henderson was born in 1902 and his grandfather died in 1908 so he had to come from one of his sons. Not too many of his kids got married. Jane was the only woman from the Henderson family to marry.

47: This is what went on in the Henderson's lives as we know it to be. Well, some of it has been told already. Jane and Alexander Henderson were twins that were born in 1855. They were the first of the 9 children of Donald and Catherine Gunn, Henderson. The names of the other kids were, John W born in 1858, Margory Ann born in 1862, George born in 1863, Jessie born 1865, Catherine born in 1867, and James born in 1869. Catherine Gunn Hendreson died giving birth in 1871, which would have been the 10th, The children were left alone with their father as the only parent. Jane and Alexander were 16 when their mother died, so Jane had to step into her mothers shoes. The next oldest female was Marjory who was only 9. I don't know how long he kept the family together, because he farmed out the girls to family members. Jane first went to New York. She was in the special census for that state in 1875. Then I found her in Searsmont, Maine, in the phone directory in 1877, but she may have moved to Boston then or shortly before. She was a clerk. I saw also that Catherine, (Katie?) 12 years old, was in Searsmont, Maine living with grandparents George and Jean Gunn. Jessie was also in Searsmont, Maine living with relatives, the Cooper's and family and was listed as a niece. She also was listed as a domestic in that family with other children including Isabella who was a cousin, Jessie was 15 years old, and Catherine was 12 years old, | OK -- The skeletons are now out of the closet and are poised on the porch for everyone to see. | I found Donald in the Boston directory in 1877. That is when he must have moved to Boston, or maybe the year before. The directories show when they were there, but not when they arrived in the city. | Nothing was said about the family home, the farm, and what they did with it. Although we don't know much about Donald, we can put pieces together and read between the lines. He had received a letter saying that his father had died sometime before and what did he (Donald) want him, (letter writer) to do with his fathers property which was actually Donald's now.. Check out the letter to the left and see if you agree with me, Donald is a procrastinator. I fear that Alexander may have fallen into his footsteps and picked up this bad habit. The letter has been re done on the computer for easy reading.

48: A more modern Donald Henderson. I visited him in the 1980's in Warwick, RI . He died the very year that I visited him. His wife's name is Victoria. She died within the next year or 2 also. I wish that I was interested in family history at that time. I could have found out a lot more about the Henderson family. He told me that he was not one of the Henderson's that came from Donald, but came from his, Donald's, brother William's side. | They had a boy that died at the age of 2 years, and they also had a girl and named her Marjory Henderson Garrood who later married Louis Delphin. (Louigi Pasquale Delfini.) Jane is also the mother of my grandmother, Marjorie H Garrood, who married Louis Delphin and they had my 2 uncles and my mother before he died. Frank Garrood was the son of William F Garrood who was in the HMS. and captured slave ships.

49: Below is George as he owned a clothing store. We just figured that this was his business partner who is standing next to him. Don't know his name. | Brlow is one of the Henderson's; Jane, and is Alexander's twin. Jane Henderson married Francis (Frank), Garrood. He painted houses for a living. He painted some famous church steeple in Boston.

50: Jane is the only Henderson female that got married. I suppose that the rest of the family saw that life was full of misery when married. Imagine their mother working her fingers to the bone taking care of 8 kids in a part of the world that is so much colder than any place that we have been. The wind blows much of the time, and the temperatures in the winter were below 0 much of the time.. Canning was a must to get the family through the winter months This was in the day when houses were built well, but were cold and drafty all the time. Imagine the wind coming in through the windows and doors with the 2nd floor being worse than the 1st. If they had any type of central heating it would have been coal. This had to be shoveled into the furnace in the middle of the night as it didn't hold enough to get through the night. Add to that, making 3 meals a day for a family of 10, making clothes for the kids (all handmade), and if there was any electricity, it was crude and minimal at best. I'm sure that it often went out in the high winds and blizzards they got much of the time in winter.

51: Jane saw her mother, Catherine Gunn, very fragile health wise, and trying to do all these things while caring for her brood. Life was not much fun and Jane saw her mother give birth to one kid after another. We don't know what kind of person her husband Donald was. The other kids probably chose not to marry because they saw their mother struggle and watched her die while giving birth. She was buried in Rexton, Canada. Only one or 2 of the boys got married too. The majority of them stayed single. After the death of their mother in 1871, the oldest 2 were only 16, and the youngest was James who was only 2 years old when she died. He probably didn't remember her at all. Donald farmed out the girls to family members including Jane who stayed in New York with family too. Catherine and Jessie went to the Cooper's and Alexander was with some Cooper's too. They were in Cayhuga, NY and he was listed as a hired hand. These kids must have felt deserted by both parents. One died and one shipped them to relatives. I'm not sure where the younger went, maybe the boys stayed with their father, but I doubt it. In any case, John can no longer be found, and was not mentioned in any letters between family members. Alexander came to be in that position too. He was not mentioned before, nor after his sea-bound adventure and rescue except for one letter from a family member inquiring about him. The letter when answered, raised more questions. | Donald moved to Boston in 1877 or so. He was found in the census in 1880. The tragedies dragged on though. In 1890, he became a naturalized citizen. When things went well, they must have been exciting. In 1908 Marjory Henderson opened a store in George's haberdashery. Her business was a millinery and trinket store. She mailed out announcements about it. Marjory outlived everyone in that family. | George owned his own store in Providence. it was a haberdashery. (I just love that word) I only know how a few of the family members lives ended I find their lives fascinating through the letters that flowed between them. There are many more letters, but they cannot all be put in here. A lot of them have been typed for the sake of readability.

52: Here's that can of worms again. It's too late now to get them back in the can. There still are some surprises left for this family. Donald Jr must have died along with his mother in 1871. John and Alexander disappeared from the family information chain. I suspect that we would not know about Alexander at all if Joan Druett had not found him and entered his name into history as a rescued seaman. After the rescue in Dec of 1883, Alex was not mentioned in any of the letters written between the family members. | James married a woman named Eva. He became a salesman of some kind and did quite well for himself; He provided quite a comfortable life for he and his wife.They had a boy and a girl. James is not mentioned much except that it is shown that he helped out the family when they needed it. Maybe we just see most of the family is not close. The rest of the kids never got married. I never found John Henderson. He could have gone anywhere, including remaining in Canada, but since his whole family was in New England, he could have gone to that area too, or he could have died. As for Alexander, I found something which fits since he was already in New York when he saw the agent and hired on to The Sarah W Hunt, and back to New Bedford to board her. Records show that Alexander Henderson was in Niles, Cayuga, NY in 1875 living as a hired hand with a family named Cooper. Then in 1882 he was living in New York City and this was just before he got the job aboard the Sarah W Hunt. This Cooper family were apparently relatives on his mother's side because Catherine and Jessie were farmed out to some Cooper's too, a branch of the family in Maine sometime after their mother's death in 1871. Jessie was younger and she was the one that got the education. In a census, she was listed as a niece, and Catherine was listed in that census as a domestic. | Jane was keeping house for a living according to the census of 1880 and living with her father in Boston along with Marjory A, who was 19 years , George 17, and James 11. After a few years, Jane met and married Frank Garrood. (Francis). They had a boy that died before the age of 2 and a girl named Majory Henderson Garrood. She was my grand mother. Then Frank died when Marjory was only 6 years old. Her mother Jane never remarried, but she chose to raise her daughter herself. Perhaps she recognized that marriage wasn't for her since death robs you of the people you love the most. At least, that is what her young life had held for her so far. Her mother died giving birth, her twin brother, Alexander, disappeared, John was possibly dead, and her own son died. Now her husband | When Donald decided to move to Boston, most of his kids are already here in the states. Jane moves in with him and so do the youngest ones. Marjory - 19, George - 17, James - 11. The other ones, Jessie - 14, Catherine - 12 have been staying with relatives in the states. We are not sure when he farmed the 2 girls out to relatives. It is unknown what John-21 is doing, or where he lives, but he and Alexander-25 are of age.

54: In the first place, not one of them so they affirm can by right be called seaman at all from various causes, which need not be stated they saw fit to "follow the sea," and applied to a shipping agent in New York to get them berths of some kind on board a vessel. He told them that he had something that would just suit them; a sealing cruise, which would last for the next nine months. The vessel was not lying in New York Harbour, but they had to go down by rail to New Bedford, some 150 miles off, and join her there. They arrive early on the morning of July 10, 1883, and after having "a bit of breakfast," went off to the schooner. Shortly after they were called down to the cabin and given papers to sign, promising to serve for two years. He it may be men signed, by way of parenthesis, that they are all seamen, and anxious to work at their life's callings, for they have no money of their own. The consul pays what in needful to their board and lodging out of a certain number of months' wages due to them from the captain, but declines to give them any money for other purposes. Amongst the five, one is a brass finisher, a stove molder, carpenter, a clerk (a German by birth, which besides his mother tongue, also speak English, French, and Italian), one who is seems accustomed to act in a doctor's office assistant in different capacities, And another who has been man and general labourer on railways. A grand lot of men, the sailor will say, to put a schooner about in a squall, or navigate a whaleboat back to the land in the teeth of a South Pacific storm. | Alexander was in the US. He and 2 others he fell in with, were broke and needed passage and/or a job to get some money. (Doesn't that sound like he was restless?) The year before he did have some work as a hired hand at a relatives house. They heard about an agent in NY who had berths and of a sort. about some type of boat. They went there and this is what the newspaper clipping on this page talks about. I'll let you read it yourself. Remember, these papers are from 1883 and 1884. The print is sometimes unclear. The one on this page is pretty legible, but I redid it in case it did not come out clear in the book. When I took these off the Internet, I should have put the paper that published the article and the date for all of them. I only was able to get some of the dates. The newspaper clippings tell the story and the book "The Elephant Voyage" by Joan Druett tells the whole story. Although some of the facts in that book are wrong, it is a memorable story especially since it involves one of our ancestors that survived and his story will be told in bits and pieces because we can only find bits and pieces of his where abouts. Below, is the article redone so it is easier to read.

55: Time marches on though and it got kind of hard to trace everyone once they were grown. Except for Jane, we knew about her from the time she moved in with her father, we knew where she was and what she was doing. As was stated, she married Frank (Francis) Garrood. He was the son of William F Garrood, whose mother was Elizabeth Story, Garrood, Kibble. At some time William F came to America and we believe that he may have just stayed in the states when his tour was over as we cannot find him in any of the passenger lists. He married Bridget Barnete and they had Frank. They lived in the Boston area. When you turn the next few pages you will begin to see what has crawled out of the can, and it is too late to try to put them back in the can. | This is the only mention of John or Alexander all through the years. I suspect the inquiry came from Jane Henderson since she was his twin sister. Nothing else was ever said about him or John. No inquiry, no mention, no death notice or burial. No family legends of them except what was written in "The Elephant Voyage." Of course, they wouldn't have had to wonder about Alex at this point since he was in all of the newspapers. But, until these articles were written, he wasn't mentioned either.

57: Alexander was the one who claimed to be German. We haven't got a clue as to why he said that, but once said, he had to stick with the story.. Of course, he was born in Canada and was exposed to French speaking Canadians at times. Also, with the influx of immigrants to the US and Canada, he rubbed elbows with Germans, and Italians too. So since he lived in New York City he had a chance to learn those language.s. Alexander must have been pretty intelligent to learn those languages so quickly. The town he grew up in was English speaking. | These stories may not be complete and I also doubt they are in order. You can find them by goggling Sarah W Hunt. Also the book "The Elephant Voyage" by Joan Druett is excellent. These stories and facts make it more real; especially when you know it is a relative; We are not positive who wrote the letter, but I suspect that it was Jane since my grandma had the return reply. In addition to that, she was his twin and they always have a special bond. | Some of the letters written between family members and the events going on were comical. One letter I believe that there would have been a cat fight. One imagined that her visit with her sister would be fun and excited, but she was very disappointed because she didn't find the visit to be so. Another one was a letter that was written on company letterhead paper telling one of the girls about a note only taking a few minutes. I found that one very amusing. As I said, if you would like more of the letters, I will be happy to send copies to you so you can read them for yourself and feel close to several families we never knew.

60: How they got the men to the shack was another story. Alex was one of the men that could not walk at all. The two men that could barely walk had to roll the men who couldn't walk, all the way to the shack one by one. This was not only hard for the men who did the rolling, but extremely painful for the men being rolled. They were all wet, blue from frostbite, and all were near death. | There are some newspaper articles about their survival, rescue and stories of their plight. I will put them in here. I just hope that I can get them clear enough to read them. They are from 1883 so they are on different type of print and old and difficult to decipher. Knowing where Alexander came from and what was told and said about him makes a person wonder why he said the things he did in court. He lied under oath. I will put a copy of the letter the American conciliate wrote back concerning the family member who inquired about Alexander's where abouts. | My mother and while aunt ma, was staying with her, she told me about the wall paper they wanted to take off and put some new stuff up. So, as they began to take off the old stuff, there was a lot of white dust flying off the back of the paper. At first, they didn't know what it was, but then they realized that it was those white moths. Every few years, there is an invasion of them. They come out of the nests on the trees and are called bag worms. They are gross, and when they have invaded an area, they cover buildings so that the outside of the building is totally covered with white. Aunt ma went on to live to be 93 or 94 years old.

61: These are the facts we know of the Henderson lives as they grew older and time ticked on. Now James was the youngest being only 2 when his mom died. I seriously doubt that he had any memories of his mother. James was not spoken of in the letters which is another break in the family ties. Mrs James J stopped in to visit Donald along with the kids, but James wasn't there. He was a salesman though and could have been out of town. Donald was sick for a few years, and I will get to that in a minute. After Donald died, James was the one who moved his mother's body from Rexton, New Brunswick, Canada to Pocassett Cemetery in RI so she could be buried next her husband, Donald. That must have cost a lot of money. Jessie and Catherine were in business together and since Catherine was ill, she now had to run the business herself. Jessie found she couldn't do both. Marjory was the caretaker in the family and came to be known by everyone as "aunt ma" Aunt ma was Jane's younger sister. James was the one who sold Marjory a piece of land for a very small price. Marjory built a house so she could take care of Catherine. She moved in with Marjory. Catherine rested a lot and dealt with her illness as best she could.

63: The shocking things begin here. George owned the haberdashery and he enjoyed playing cards. While Donald and George were at his haberdashery, (I love that word.) his father was walking around upstairs and stubbed his toe on a nail.He broke his neck and never felt good after that. Apparently,he never got over this comical yet pathetic fall he took while stubbing his toe. Apparently, George felt responsible for his father's condition and was the one to take care of him from then on. Donald died in the RI hospital from pneumonia in 1908.

64: George loved playing cards and family has it that he owed money to some unsavory characters in the Providence area. The mafia owned a lot people and establishments in those days, and on into the time I was growing up in that area. They made loans with unheard of interest rates and people paid insurance money to keep their businesses safe from these thugs. One day he and some friends were in the back of the store playing cards and legend has it he was losing a bit of money. He excused himself saying that he had to go get something. He went to the front of the store, and shot himself in the head. When his friends heard a noise up front, they went to see what it was and found George in a pool of blood with a gun by his head. George was already dead by his own hand. | Now that George was gone, Marjory was the one who go thrust into the head of the family position. As I stated before, not much had been said about James. At this point in time we neither can trace John Henderson, nor does anyone know where Alex is. If they do know, it is never spoken of. Now the only ones left in the family are Jane, who is married to Frank Garrood. I don't know at this point if Frank had died yet or not. Jessie, who is in business with Catherine, and she is not feeling real well and is a burden on Jessie at this time. Jessie is having a difficult time taking care of Catherine who was needing more and more care as time went on. Marjory has a millinary business, and I believe that she had a boarding house too. Anyway, she was the one who was left to take care of Catherine.

66: Catherine Henderson was pronounced an insane person. Now some think that she had Alzheimer's, and she very well could have had that. In the later stages, they become incontinent and forget how to swallow, so they don't want to eat anything. That was strange behavior in those days, and when people had symptoms like that it is hard to handle them enough to keep them clean. Again, it could have been any of the conditions that we as her descendants do have mental conditions that would have landed us in the insane asylum if we lived in the early 1900's. So, I don't know which it was, but that is where she ended up and she died of pneumonia.

68: James Henderson moved his mother from Canada to RI to be buried with her husband. The deed to the plot is in this book too. As I said earlier, we didn't know much about James. After Alex was rescued, all 6 of them went to San Fransisco. CA There was a very short article in the Sacramento newspaper that stated a man named Alexander Henderson Canada. Not much was known about him except that he had come there a few weeks ago. He was killed in a train accident. This was in 1885. I don't know if this was our Alex, but it sure sounds like him. We lost John 4 years after their mother died and couldn't pick up the trail of where he went. So, this too will remain a mystery and these thoughts just wonder and it is very hard not to imagine things being different. It is what it is. | The happenings on the previous pages must have been devastating for the family. It was one more heartbreak in a family who had already lost a number of its family unit. The way that lives were lost was bad enough, but to have a member committed, was embarrassing and a stigma that could not be easily shaken. It ran as deeply as a scar that everyone knew about, but people always looked away and avoided the subject altogether.

69: As I said before, life is a sad nightmarish experience with moments of hope, a sigh of relief and a few smiles along the road, Another tragedy was yet to come. George was another one who liked cards and horses. One day he was playing cards in the back of his store. He had been depressed and was losing. He excused himself and said that he had to do something and he wouldn't be long. He went to the front of the store. The men in the back of the store were waiting for him to come back and they heard a loud noise. They ran to the front of the store to find George laying on the floor in a pool of blood and a gun by his head. George was dead by his own hand. The time line of the events in this book; this family book of history is not always in order because we don't always know when some of these things happened. The only reason that we knew the time period that Alexander slipped out of sight was written in a book. | This is the end of the trail or life of the family members that we know the dates of. Catherine Gunn Henderson died in 1871 giving birth to their 10th child. Alexander Henderson disappeared in the year 1884 somewhere in California. He was never mentioned in any letters which I find strange. I would think that at least someone would express some concern at the whereabouts of their brother or son. Their was a small piece of information in a newspaper in California about the death of an Alexander Henderson from Canada. There was not any information given on him because no one knew anything about this man. That article was in 1885. This man died in a railroad accident of which not much was spoken about either. The whole piece was only about 15 or 20 words at most. In 1908, Donald Henderson died after stubbing his toe in Georges haberdashery and broke his neck George shot himself and James hung himself but don't know the date. Catherine Henderson died in the insane asylum in the year of 1914. She died of pneumonia. Margory Henderson died at the ripe old age of 94 years old. She was still taking care of herself in her own home. None of the girls in the Henderson family except Jane, Alex's twin sister, ever married. I don't know when the rest of the girls died or what they died of. Now Jane, who was my great grandmother died of breast cancer. One more tragedy was the fact that James J Henderson died at his own hands too. He hung himself. We don't know what demons these family members faced, but those mental conditions they each had was passed down. I'm sorry that I passed them down to my children and my grand daughter too. My grandmother, Marjory Garrood, died after she broke her hip. She fell in the kitchen and lay there until my grandfather got home some 6 hours later. After she healed, she had already given up on life and went downhill quickly. She refused to walk again, and died a year or two later. My grandfather died after he had a spinal tap in 1924, he was 32 years old. GG was only 3 years old. My step granddad died of a heart attack when GG's brother died in 1967 of meningitis. GG followed grandpa home where he died shortly after that. | Jess,

Sizes: mini|medium|large|behemoth
Colette Merrill
  • By: Colette M.
  • Joined: almost 8 years ago
  • Published Mixbooks: 3
  • Default User
    • By: cathy m.
    • Contributions: 0 photos , 0 pages

About This Mixbook

  • Title: Family History (Copy)
  • The family is number one in Jessica's heart and the most important place in her life. Unfortunately, All the history will be on my side of the family.
  • Tags: None
  • Published: over 2 years ago