Up to 50% + 10% Off! Enjoy up to 50% Off + 10% Off! Code: NOEL19 Ends: 12/15 Details

  1. Help
Up to 50% + 10% Off! Enjoy up to 50% Off + 10% Off! Code: NOEL19 Ends: 12/15 Details

Gerber Martin Family History

Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.

Gerber Martin Family History - Page Text Content

S: Gerber- Martin Family History

BC: "Across the years I will walk with you- in deep, green forests; on shores of sand; and when our time on earth is through, in heaven, too, you will have my hand."

FC: Gerber - Martin Family History

1: We have tried to include all the information We have on our ancestors. Along with Lloyd and Connie's story. | by Connie & Lloyd Gerber | published 2012

2: We will begin the story with Connie's ancestors, starting with the Martin side. WENDEL BAUMANN. He was born in Switzerland in 1681. When he was 17 years old he with his parents moved to Holland. In 1707 he moved to Germantown, Pa. ( a little north of Philadelphia) His wife is believed to be Ann. They had 8 children. In 1729 Wendel and Ann purchased 530 acres from the crown for 16 cents an acre. They later bought another 300 acres. He sold most the the land before he died in April 1735. Wendel was buried in the Hans Tshantz graveyard, 8 miles SW of Lancaster, Pa. His grave has no stone. CHRISTIAN BAUMAN: the oldest known son of Wendel and Ann, was born Aug.13,1724 and died July 25,1790. He moved to Alleghany Creek, in what is now Berks County Pa. He built a grist mill, being a miller and a farmer. He was one of the first preachers mentioned in connection with the Alleghany district. His wife was Elizabeth Oberholzer: born Aug. 27,1724 and died Feb. 2,1791, both are buried in Alleghany Cemetery, close to Reading Pa. They had 6 children. WENDEL O. BAUMAN: born Feb. 25,1758 and died 1842. He and his wife Maria Huber resided in Berks Co. Pa. in the house built by his father in 1749. They had 8 children. JOESPH BAUMAN born in Pa. on Mar 8,1796 and died Dec. 21,1864 in Ontario. In 1819 he moved to Ontario, arriving at Abraham Erbs work place in Waterloo. He worked there making barrels He lived with the Christian Shantz family, near Berlin ( Kitchener). This is where he met and married Anna. Anna died when they were only married 13 months. On Feb. 20,1825 he married Elizabeth ( Good) Hoffman born Feb.12,1795 died May 6,1879. Daughter of George Hoffman. They farmed in Woolwich Township and had 7 children. ELI BAUMAN: born Dec. 23,1828 died Nov.15,1916. On Feb 24,1852 he married Rebecca (Shantz) Snyder born Aug.13,1831 died Oct. 27, 1921. They farmed 3 mi. SE of Elmira and had 12 children. MAGDALENA BAUMAN: born Sept 18,1856 Married Henry Shantz who died of typhoid fever Aug.1,1879. On Oct 26,1884 she married Moses (Martin) Gingrich born May 15,1856, died June 23,1931. They had 8 children and farmed in Peel Township. REBECCA GINGRICH was born on Oct.18,1885 and died Oct.12 1947. On Jan.29,1907 she married ANANIAS (Musselman) MARTIN, son of ABSOLOM S MARTIN. Ananias was born on Oct 20,1881 and died Feb 24,1960 at the home of his son, Edmund Martin of Tralee, Ontario. Ananias and Rebecca had 10 children and lived on the 4th of Peel.

3: Ananias M Martin was born on Oct.12,1881, | Rebecca ( Gingrich )Martin born Oct.18,1885 Married Ananias M Martin on Jan 29,1907 They had 10 children. Rebecca died on Oct 12, 1947 Ananias died on Feb. 24,1960 | Ananias M Martin | Ananias M Martin | Rebecca (Gingrich) Martin

4: CHRISTIAN MARTIN: born 1669 in Switzerland. He married Ells Marty b. 1672.They had 8 children.He was imprisoned for many years for his faith. They came to America Sept.21,1732 on the ship "Pink Plaisance" DAVID MARTIN: was born in Switzerland and then moved to Germany. He was born in 1691 and married Anna Weber in Germany. On their way to America in 1727 Anna died at sea. They had no children. David remarried 3 times. First to Barbara Herr, they had 9 children. Second was Anna Groff , they had 3 children, she died in 1759. Elizabeth (Herr) Miller was his fourth wife. All together David had 12 children and Elizabeth's daughter from a previous marriage. David died in 1784. Since he was a son-in-law of Hans Weber they shared property around the Weaverland Church in Lancaster County. This is where they are all buried. It was the ship "Molly" that David and his brothers came to America on. HENRY MARTIN: b. June 8,1741, d. April 27,1825 . He was bishop of the Weaverland District Mennonite Church. He married twice. His first wife Anna died childless. | His second wife Mary Frankford had 12 children. Their son Peter came to Ontario in 1819. PETER MARTIN: b.1769, d.1831 he married Anna Zimmerman : b. 1775, d. 1836. They were the first Martins to come to Waterloo. They had 17 children, 175 grandchildren and over 800 great-grand children.They were among the first buried | at the Martin Cemetery which was establish around 1830.The Martin Meeting house was built on part of Peter's 500 acre farm. They built their homestead in 1820, on Weber St. N., Waterloo. Their home is now at the Doon Pioneer Village. DAVID Z. MARTIN: b. Aug. 30,1815, d. Sept.23,1894. His wife was Rebecca Shantz b. 1815, d. June 23,1876 they married in 1838. They had 9 children. David was ordained a deacon June 21,1857 at Martins Church. He married Mary Johnson (Rittenhouse) later in life. | Peter Martin Homestead at the Doon Pioneer Village | Peter Martin House at Doon Pioneer Village

5: ABSALOM S. MARTIN: born Nov.1,1840 and died Sept 13,1887. He married Leah Musselman in 1887. She was born May 3,1844 and died Nov.4,1921. They had 12 children. ANANIAS M. MARTIN: born Oct.20,1881 and died Feb.24,1960. He married Rebecca B. Gingrich on Jan.29,1907. She was born on Oct.18,1885 and died Oct.12,1947. They had 10 children. Elo G. b. 1908 m. Minerva S. Martin. They had 10 children. Magdalena G. b. 1910. married Emerson Lichty, 4 children. Velina G. b. 1912 married: Jacob F. Bauman d. 1960. 3 children. Urias G. b. 1914 married Helen Gimbel adopted 2 children. EDMUND G.MARTIN: born. Sept 10,1916 . He married RUBY OLIVE BURKHART b. March 25,1922 . They had 4 children. ( more information to follow) Leah G. b. 1918 married Oliver Lichty, had 3 children. Almeda G. born 1920 married Milford S. Martin they had 3 children. Ismael G born 1923 married Edna L. Martin 3 children. Orlan G. b. 1926 married Erma. no children Almon G. born 1929 married Irene Weaver they had 5 children. | 1954 family reunion | Approx. 1978 all Ananias Martin children and spouses. At home of Ed and Ruby Martin, in Listowel Ontario | Absalom Martin children and spouses

6: JOSEPH BURKHART: was born in Switzerland and settled in Lancaster County Pa. in the year 1751. He had a son named PETER BURKHART: born in Lancaster County, Pa. March 15,1780. He was married to Barbara Guth ( now Good). They resided near Blue Ball, Lancaster County Pa., until spring of 1820 then migrated to Waterloo County, Canada. Seven Children were born to them in Pa. and one in Canada. The oldest was a son Joseph . JOSEPH BURKHART: born in Lancaster County Pa., Sept 8,1805 and died Sept 5,1831. He was in the migration with his parents in 1820. He was married to Elizabeth Gingrich, and lived one mile west of St. Jacobs, Ontario. They had two children, both sons, John and Joseph. JOSEPH BURKHART: born April 8,1832, died July 25,1895. He was married to Sarah Sitler, born Jan 28,1837, died March 27,1913. To this union were born eleven children. ENOCH BURKHART: born Jan.28,1861, died May 15,1940. He was married to HANNAH EBY, who was born April 13,1867 and died May 10,1943. They had fourteen children. With whom HERBERT is our interest. THEODORUS EBY: born April 25,1663, in the Canton of Zurich, Switzerland. He was the son of JACOB EBY who was ordained a bishop of the Mennonites in 1683. Theodorus adhered strictly to the faith of his father and due to persecution he moved with his family to Palatinate, Germany in 1704. But alas, persecutions were equally as severe as in Switzerland. In 1715 he migrated with others to Lancaster County, Pa. He had 6 children. He died in 1737. PETER EBY: was married to Annie Mylin They had four sons and lived in Lancaster, County Pa. JOHN EBY: was married to Mary Gerber. They lived near Lititz, Lancaster County. John died young and left five children. DAVID EBY: was born in Lancaster County Feb.23,1785. He moved to Berlin, Ontario June 21,1807. He married Elizabeth Bechtel on May 8, 1810. They lived on Lot 32, German Company's Tract, near Berlin. He died April 1,1860. They had eleven children. ELIAS B. EBY: was born Sept.19,1829. He was married to Rachel Shantz on Dec.11,1853. They farmed near Elmira for many years, later moved to the west side of Floradale. They had twelve children. HANNAH EBY: was born April 13,1867 and married ENOCH BURKHART, on Oct.2,1887. She died on May 10 1943. They had 14 children.

7: Hannah and Enoch purchased their farm on the sixth of Peel in Wellington Co. 104 acres paying $3000.00. They had a $2000.00 mortgage and paid 4% per annum interest. Paying the mortgage off took a long time. Enoch sold a pair of white-faced Clydesdale geldings for four hundred dollars in order to make the last payment on the mortgage. The boys grumbled because they had to keep on plowing "with the old plugs" because their dad had sold the best horses just to get out of debt. Several years before retirement Enoch bought an old Chevrolet, which apparently had too many previous owners, and was replaced with a used Oldsmobile. He never tried for a driver's license, but the family grapevine assures us that he never had any trouble getting the boys to drive for him. | HERBERT ELIAS BURKHART born Aug.29,1889 and died May 4,1941 . On Nov.12,1913 he married IRENE WOOLNER b. March 26,1891 and died May 15,1958. Irene was the daughter of John Woolner. of Route 3 Kitchener. The Woolners originated from England. Herb and Irene farmed near Breslau, They had 9 children:

8: WOOLNER (First name unknown): about 1765 was born in Of, St. Andrews Twp., Suffolk Co. England. Not much is known of him. They had 2 children. ISAAC WOOLNER: Born Aug.1,1792 also in St. Andrews Twp. He married Sarah Hembling on Dec.3,1819 in Ilketshall, St. Andrews Twp. They had 6 children. Sarah died on July 8,1832. They had a child die on June 29,1832 and they also immigrated to Canada that same year.They lived at, German Company Tract Lot 130, Waterloo County , Ontario. This is where she died. Before 1836 Isaac married Bridget born 1810. She was born in Waterloo Co., they had 6 children. JACOB HEMBLING WOOLNER: born Sept.25,1826, In England. He immigrated to Canada with his parents. On Sept.30,1849 he married Hannah Shiedel born Mar.15,1828, also in 1849 he became a minister and served at the Cressman Mennonite Church in Breslau. They owned German Company Trace Lot 103 and 111. They farmed this land. Jacob and Hannah had 10 children. She passed away in 1897 and is buried at Breslau Church. Jacob married Nancy Reist on May 8,1899, they had 1 child. She died in 1913. Jacob died of pneumonia on Oct.6,1917 and is buried at the Cressman Mennonite Church, Breslau. JOHN S. WOOLNER born Aug.23,1855 married Hannah Clemmer born Feb.24,1857, on Feb.24,1878. They had 7 children. The Woolner Farmstead buildings , located at 748 Zeller Drive, are situated in the north end of the City of Kitchener on 6.47 acres of scenic Zeller Drive. The original Georgian farmhouse and outbuildings were constructed in 1830. The farmhouse addition was built circa 1858, and the barn and concrete silo were built cira 1870. John died Mar.29,1925 and Hannah died Aug.31,1931 they are both buried at First Mennonite Cemetery, Kitchener, Ontario. IRENE WOOLNER: Born Mar.26,1891. She was married on Nov.12,1913 to HERBERT ELIAS BURKHART born: Aug.29,1889. They farmed near Breslau. Herbert passed away at a young age on May 4,1941. Irene died on May 15, 1958. They are both buried at the Cressman Mennonite Cemetery, Breslau. Herbert and Irene had 9 children.

9: First born was John Homer on June 9,1914 he married Anna Ruby they had 5 children. On Sept.30,1916 Hannah Viola was born. She married Andrew Bowman and they had 2 children. On May 20, 1920 Lauretta Mae was born, she never married. RUBY OLIVE BURKHART was born on Mar.25,1922 she married EDMUND G MARTIN on May 22,1948. They had 4 children and I will continue their story later. Kenneth Roy was born on Feb.23,1924 and he married Eunice Cressman. They had 2 sons. Doris Irene was born on Aug 19,1926 she married Leonard Gingrich and they had 5 children. On Mar.22, 1928 Martha Jane was born, she married Aden Weber they had 7 children. Sarah Ellen was born on Nov.21,1931, married Clare Martin and had 4 children. On Oct.25,1932 Elmer Wayne was born. He married Lydia Braun and they had no children. | Burkhart siblings with their mother Irene Burkhart in 1952 | Burkhart siblings and spouses Mar. 1989 | Ruby

10: Herb, Irene and family heading for a Sunday drive. | Homer, Viola Lauretta & Ruby age 2 | Ruby | Ruby

11: Like branches on a tree, our lives may grow in different directions yet our roots remain as one. | Edmund G Martin 1916---1997 | Ruby Olive Burkhart 1922---1992

12: When the war broke out Edmund was summoned to the army. He did not pass the physical , because of having flat feet, so he was sent to work in a bush camp. This is where a lot of conscientious objectors were also sent.

13: They honeymooned in Niagara Falls | Ruby and Ed were married on May 22 1948

14: Ed and Ruby lived in a row house in Bridgeport Ontario. They lived in the far right unit. Grandma Burkhart and mom's unmarried siblings lived in the first unit. Uncle Andy and Aunt Viola lived next door. Ruby worked at the store in Bridgeport and Edmund drove truck. When they married in 1948 it was really hard to get a refrigerator, they had to wait for months to get one. The factories were behind because of the war. Ed and Ruby enjoyed going to the beach. They often went to Sauble Beach. | Edmund also enjoyed fishing. In the winter they would skate on the river by the mill in Bridgeport.Ruby had speed skates. While living in Bridgeport Connie Marie was born on March 30,1950 | Edmund | Ruby Ed | Ruby Ed | 1st home | Ruby

15: Connie | Connie with cousins Karen & Bryon BowmanThey lived next door | Connie was born with Hereditary Fructose Intolerance. This is an inability to digest fructose or sucrose. An enzyme is operating at 1 - 10% of it normal biologic activity. More information on HFI at the end of the book. | Karen Connie Brian

16: Dennis Edmund was born on Dec.17,1951. We were still living in Bridgeport. | Ruby and Ed decided to buy a farm. It was a few miles east of Listowel on Hwy. 86. Uncle Wayne visited us often. He would bring his dog. The thing I remember most from this farm was butchering chickens. Dad would chop the head off and then the chicken would jump around and I thought it was trying to chase me. We only lived here about 18 months and dad decided he would rather drive truck than farm so he sold the farm and we moved to Kitchener. | Connie Dennis | uncle Wayne | Connie, Mom, Dennis | Connie and Dennis | 2nd home

17: We moved to 353 Edwin St. Kitchener, Ontario. I started kindergarten at Pueter Public School. I hated school , I would cry, which made it hard for mom to leave me there. | Dad got a job driving truck again and mom stayed at home. Grandpa Martin would come and live with us some of the time. We also had boarders. Joan Illman was one of our boarders. Joan took me home with her for the weekend and I got to be good friends with her sister Lois Illman. Claran John was born June 22, 1956. That made three of us. We did not have a TV at our house so Dennis and I would go to the neighbors to watch shows. Mom and dad got tired of this so they bought a TV. I was allowed to ride the bus to Uncle Andy and Aunt Viola's. I enjoyed going to Aunt Viola's, she also had Fructose Intolerance and I liked to ride the bus, made me feel grownup. I would often go to Uncle Oliver and Aunt Leah Lichty's farm for summer holidays. Wilma and I always kept busy. Sometimes Dennis got to come too. This was my favorite place to go for holidays. | 1958 | 1956 | Ruby Ed Connie Dennis | Connie Dennis Claran | 3rd home | Sauble Beach holiday 1957 | Back row: Ruby, Claran, Ed, Brian, Lloyd & Etta Shantz Front row: Connie, Dennis, Murray

18: In 1959 Mom and Dad sold the house in Kitchener and bought a farm at Tralee, Ont. Mom always wanted to farm so they compromised, Mom farmed and Dad drove truck. Dad would take us kids along on the truck sometimes. I was sure I was going to be a truck driver when I grew up. Dad drove tractor trailer and when it would be stormy mom would hate when the phone would ring in case it was dad saying he was in trouble with the truck. She always said no news is good news. Ronald Wayne was born on Dec.10,1960. Grandpa Martin lived with us most of the time. He was a diabetic and had lost his one leg to gangrene. He wore a wooden leg and walked with canes. He used to tease us kids all the time. I remember before he died he had a hospital bed in our front room. Aunt Ella Geiger was a friend of moms who lived in Tralee, she was a great lady. Her and mom would butcher chickens every fall. When I got older I wasn't afraid of chickens anymore and I even enjoyed helping to dress them. | 1961 | 1962 | Aunt Ella | Dennis, Ron & Claran | Ruby | 4th home

19: I was in grade 3 when we moved to the farm. Dennis and I went to a one room school and our first teacher there was Mrs. Reid. Mrs. Dennis was our next teacher. (Claran and Ron went to SS#10 Mornington also. Claran went to 7-8 at Dorking and Ron went to Mornington Central until grade 7-8 then went to Milverton.) We had a ball team every year at school and traveled to different schools in the area to play . Every recess and noon hour we would pick teams and practice. In the winter we always had a skating rink, at school. Everyone played hockey but we didn't have a team, We went on a bus trip every year and had a Christmas concert. One year I played the violin, in a play, for the concert. I can't play the violin ! It was pretty screechy. Dennis and I played together a lot. We got into lots of trouble. When I was young I always wanted a sister, so mom and dad decided to become foster parents and looked after a little girl named Terry Lynn Clark. She lived | with us for a year or so until her mother was able to take her home. After Terry we didn't have anyone else. It was hard for us when she went home. | My best friend in public school was Joan Linseman. We have been friends from the day I moved to Tralee. | Terry Lynn | Joan & Connie | Connie | Connie | Connie

20: One Room School | Back Row left: Mrs. Dennis, Paulette O"Grady, Jacob Hiemstra, Joan Linseman, Donald Second Back Row left: Brett Kelly, Mike Kelly, Teresa O'Grady, Terry Linseman, Second Row left: Dorothy Dietrich, Greg Ellison, Mae Ellison, Tommy O'Grady, First Row left: Bev Cummings, Vernal Cummings, Doug Burnett, Linda | Joan | Doug

21: Freeman, Bill Heimstra, Dorothy Cummings, Landis Freeman, Connie Martin, Dennis Martin. Thelma Cummings, Carol Vollmer, Liz Burnett, Johnny Vollmer, Brenda Kelly Larry Kelly, Donna Downey, MaryPat Linseman, Neil Freeman, George Hewitt Dietrich, Richard Freeman, Maureen Linseman, Judy Scott, Sheila Kelly | Connie | Joan | Eight Grades One Teacher | Dennis | Doug | Maureen

22: Mom and Dad still liked going to the lake, but when we had the farm everyone couldn't go. Mom would rent a cottage at Chesley Lake Camp and would take us kids for a week. Dad would stay home and do the chores. Dennis and I were allowed to take a friend so I would take my friend Lois Illman and Dennis would take Doug Burnett. We would have a great time. As years went on Dennis and I would be the ones to stay home and chore while the rest would go away for a weekend. One weekend when we where at home alone for the weekend I decided on Sat. night to take a drive to Monkton to see Lois. I was only 15. Not sure what Lois's parents thought but they must have never told my parents . I was a very | good driver because Dennis and I would set up bales in the field and practice parking and driving around the bales. The day I turned 16 I got my beginners and a month later I got my license. I took driver training but already had my license. | Chesley Lake Camp Mom, Ron, Claran Me, Dennis, Doug, Lois | Dennis & I Choring | Lois Illman 1966

23: In the summer between grade nine and ten I got a job for Joe and Ada Horst. I was to look after their children and help with the house work. It was an interesting job as they were old order and had no hydro. I learned how to iron with a sad iron (iron heated on a stove) | James & Martha | In the fall I moved home and went back to school. I met my friend Linda Arnold. We became very good friends and spent a lot of time together. We went roller skating in Milverton every Wed., Sat. and Sunday night. A bunch of us even got jackets, Rolling Rebels was embroidered on them. During the school year I got a job at Campbell's Soup. I worked every Fri. night from 3:00 to 11:00. I deboned chicken. The fallowing | summer, I got a job at Spinrite Yarns, in Listowel. This was a good job. I was lucky to get between two ladies who worked really fast and I kept up, we got paid extra because we got more done. The fall, after grade eleven, Linda and I decided to move to Stratford. We moved to the YWCA in a dorm room. I got a job at Adams Furniture. | Dorm room at YWCA in Stratford 1967 | Employee picture Adams Furn. | Connie

24: We found an apartment in a house on Cambria St. and moved in with four other girls. We still went roller skating in Milverton, This is where I met Lloyd. I decided to move home and I got a job in Linwood at the Bank of Nova Scotia. | Linda Arnold 1967 | Connie walking to work at Adams Furniture1967 | Lloyd Gerber 1967 | I bought a 1956 VW for $125. We had a lot of fun with this car. It was in poor condition. One weekend I decided to go to London to visit Lois but on the way through Brunner my clutch cable broke so I stopped at Lloyd's and he fixed it with a piece of brace wire. And off I went to Lois's. Lloyd and his dad thought it wasn't a safe car to drive to London. In those days gas was cheap . It took $2.00 of gas for a week to drive to Linwood and back. It took more oil. When I got gas I would say check the gas and fill it with oil. I put a new carpet in the car and sold it for $150.00 back to Donnie Geiger who I bought it from. | Connie checking oil 1968

25: Lloyd Gerber and Connie Martin 1968 | "Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow."

26: We are now at Lloyd's ancestors. JEAN GERBER(birth date unknown) married to Magdalena ca.1772-1859. They lived in Germany. Widow Magdalena and her 3 children emigrated from Le Havre, France on the ship Groton, arriving in Lewis County, New York on June 4,1834. JOHN GERBER born : April 4,1809 died: Aug. 18,1889 married 1835 to Magdalena Nafziger born: May 21,1818. They had 3 children. She died 1840. In 1842 John married Veronica Oesch born in Barvaria, Germany on July 8,1822 .They had 7 children. She died before 1861. In April 1839 John and his family along with many others moved to Canada, Waterloo, County JOSEPH N. GERBER born: May 4 1838 - died 1910 married on Feb. 17,1861 to Magdalena Brenneman born: Mar.15,1836 - died Nov.18 1921. They had 9 children. In 1875 , Joseph was ordained bishop of Mornington Mennonite congregation. By the time Joseph Gerber's children were getting married, he and all of his children ( but one) had moved to Minnesota. Spring of 1893. | This is an ad which was written in German but translated to English When they arrived in Nobles County they really found nothing. No buildings, no industries, no trees and no waving wheat fields greeted them. The land was covered with tall grass, three to seven feet tall. When going out to see their claims, they had to stand up in their saddles to see survey stakes. They had to cut and burn the grass before they could plow the prairie sod. It was very rich soil and grew good crops. (Lloyd and Connie visited this area in 2008 . It is very productive area.) The main crops being wheat, flax, barley and oats.

27: They had six children. David born: July 27,1896 - died Dec. 14,1981 married Sarah Nafzinger, they had one son, still born, later married Susanna Wagler. Moses born: April 16,1898 - died July 19,1963, married Rachel Jantzi they had 8 children. Elizabeth born: Oct. 23,1903- died May 8 1993, married to Rudy Nafziger, they had 5 children. Daniel born: Aug. 21,1905-died Mar. 8,1980 married to Idella Zehr, they had 5 children. In 1907 Daniel, Rachel and their children moved to Edwards Township, Michigan. Their youngest 2 children were born in Michigan. Amos born: Feb. 12,1911- died March 23,1995 married Clara May Boss . They had 4 children. SOLOMON GERBER born May 20,1913 in Michigan - died Nov. 29,1999 in Milverton, Ont. He married EDNA YANTZI born: Nov. 24,1912 - died July 17,1981. They had 7 children. | Former Daniel Gerber home in Nobles County, Minn. | Daniel Gerber home in Edwards Twp. Michigan | DANIEL B. GERBER born: June 25,1871 - died Jan. 9,1929 married Katie Jantzi on Oct. 26,1893 in Minn. She died July 18,1894. They had no children. On Feb. 19,1895 he married RACHEL ROPP born: Feb. 17,1877 in Mornington, Ont. died Sept. 24,1945. She was the daughter of Joseph U. Ropp and Elizabeth Schweitzer. When Rachel was only a few months old her mother passed away. She was raised by Mr. & Mrs. John Kennel of Topping Ontario. When she was 9 years old they moved to Nebraska. She married Daniel in Minnesota. | Ad in the SugarCreek Budget

28: Solomon Gerber Birth Certificate from Michigan

29: MICHAEL YANTZI was born in Lorraine, France about 1719 and died in 1822 at the age of 103 on the Farm Belgrad. His wife was Barbara Gerber. They had 2 sons. MICHAEL G. YANTZI married Barbara Neuhauser. They lived around St. Avold, France. They had 4 children. They both died in 1933 at Pulvermill. MICHAEL N. YANTZI was married first to Barbara Beller and second to Catherine Nafziger. Michael and Barbara had three children. Barbara died in 1829 at Pulvermill. MICHAEL B. YANTZI was born Sept. 14,1823 at Valmont , he married Jacobena Kennel in 1847, she was the daughter of John Kennel and Elizabeth Saltzmann.The marriage record said he was a miller from Macheren. Michael B. 27, Jacobena 25 and son Michael age 2 migrated from Le Havere, France on the ship Seme and landed in New York on Sept. 17,1849. His widowed step mother and her other children came at this time also. Michael and 2 brothers settled in Canada the rest went to Peoria, Illinois in 1850. Michael B. found work in a mill at Bridgeport, we suppose flour milling was his specialty. It was Elias Eby ( ancestor to Connie) and Barnabas Devitt who operated the grist mill. Michael transfered to Baden in 1854 and eventually moved to Sebringville. He died on October 8,1865 and is buried in Sebringville. Jocobena moved back to Baden and then moved to East Zorra Twp. She died July 28,1909. | Michael B worked at the Grist mill in Bridgeport operated by Elias Eby .

30: MICHAEL K YANTZI was born on August 22,1847. His father had died when he was only 18, leaving him to support his mother and siblings. He married Barbara Ruby in 1872 . They had 11 children. In 1897 Michael and Barbara moved to Wilmot,Twsp. on the farm Hillcrest Church stands today. Their last place of residence was in North Easthope on the 7 & 8 Highway. | Christian | CHRISTIAN R. YANTZI born: Feb 16,1886 died: April 6,1968 on Sept 21,1911 he married NANCY M. BENDER born: Oct.31,1889 died: Oct.10,1972. She was the daughter of Noah Bender and Annie Schwartzentruber of Tavistock. They had 12 children. JACOB BENDER died 1843 he was married to Magdalena Brenneman born: 1798-1877. The had 8 children and lived at New Hamburg. JOHN B. BENDER 1817-1874 married to Catherine Miller 1824-1874. They had 11 children. NOAH M. BENDER 1866-1894 married in 1888 to Annie Schwartzentruber 1869-1934 They had 4 children and lived in Tavistock. | Noah | NANCY M. BENDER born: Oct.31,1889 and died Oct 10,1972 she married CHRISTIAN R. YANTZI born Feb.16,1886 and died Apr.6,1968. They had 12 children. EDNA YANTZI married SOLOMON GERBER. They had 7 children. Melinda married Milton Roth they had 10 children. Wilma married Lloyd Stere they had 6 children. Anna married Lorne Beachler they had 5 children. Dorothy married Alvin Lebold and they had 5 children. Mahlon married Ruth Litwiller they had 7 children. | Annie | Nancy

31: Mary married William Arnold Baechler, they had 3 children. Ruby Kathryn married Carlyle Holst they had 2 children. Emma Verda married Mahlon Steinman they had 3 children. Lester married Helen Joan Gerber, they had 2 children. His second marriage was to Nancy Joan Stewart (Way). She had 2 children . Verna Mae married Jack Brayshaw they had 2 children. Christian Ray 1933-1935. | Edna age One | Nancy and Christian Bender family | Edna | Above is Nancy and Christian Bender 50th Ann. Nancy and Christian in later years. | Edna age one

32: Solomon R. Gerber 1913-1999 Edna Yantzi Gerber 1912-1981 | Solomon and Edna were married on Dec. 31,1935. They first worked and lived with a Lichty family. Lucinda was very mean to them so they moved on. They next lived with Idella and Dan Gerber (Sol's brother). Working on a farm for someone else. Later moving in with Sol's mother until March 8th,1941 when they bought 150 acres on the 14th of Ellice twp., which they bought from William J. Ropp and paid $3700.00 for it. They farmed there until they retired to Brunner. When the war started everyone was called to duty. Solly did not pass the medical so he was placed on a postponement for alternative services. | Gerber Homestead, on 14th of Ellice Twp. This is where Lloyd was born

33: This is the letter Solomon received from the army to excuse him from serving. He was happy to stay home, farming and raise his family.

34: Solomon and Edna had 7 children. Raymond born Mar.6,1939 , he lived only a short time, died Mar.20,1939. Mary Elaine came next on Sept.21,1940 she married Calvin Gingerich born Feb.18,1939. They had 2 girls. Calvin passed away Mar.2,2009 from a brain tumor. Marlene Ann born June 27,1942, she married Norman Roy Steckly and they had 2 boys. Freida Elizabeth born June 1,1944, married Clare (Toby) Falhaufer, they had 2 boys also. Nancy May was born on March 2,1946, she never married but had 2 very close friends, Pearl Cook whom she lived with for most of her adult life and William Wickenheiser whom she dated off and on for 30 years. Nancy died June 28,2009 she suffered from lung cancer and a brain tumor. LLOYD DANIEL born Aug.26,1947 he married CONNIE MARIE MARTIN born Mar.30,1950, they had 3 children. Wayne Christian born July 30,1949 he married Joyce Hackbart born Sept.2,1952, they had 2 children. | Lloyd | Nancy Lloyd | I was born Aug.26,1947 Lloyd Daniel Gerber on the home farm in Ellice Twp., R.R. # 1 Brunner. I was brought into this world by Dr. P.L.Tye from Milverton. He came to the house and delivered me. My first memories are of playing with Nancy and Wayne. We didn't have a lot of toys so were very creative, making toys ourselves to | play with. I also remember playing across the road at uncle Dan's farm, where our cousin Viola would make us toy trailers to hook to our toy tractors. We would make tiny round bales out of grass. Farm buildings and fields, using sticks for the fence post and string for the barb wire. We would make toy combines, balers, cultivators, plows, wagons out of boards

35: and nails. Dad never had any nails left. Wayne and I played and got into trouble a lot. It seemed I always got the blame for the bad stuff, most likely because I was the oldest. My sister Nancy and I got along quite well and she always stuck up for me. | Nancy Wayne Lloyd | Growing up on the farm we where responsible to do chores, feeding the calves, cleaning out the pig pens and helping put in straw and hay bales. Dad, Uncle Mose, Uncle Dan and cousin Don Gerber would all work together with the haying, harvest and hauling manure . Dad was the only one with a loader tractor so he would load the manure at | all four farms. Dad was the first farmer in the area to buy a combine, everyone told him he was crazy and should go back to using the thrashing-machine. But soon he was doing custom work all over the area. He was also one of the first farmers to buy a hay baler, then doing a lot of custom baling. We often had to help mom with the chores when dad was doing custom work. I always enjoyed working with my uncles and cousins doing the farm work. We also did our butchering together. | Solly bailing hay with the Allis Chalmers round baler | Nancy, Don Gerber, Dan Gerber, Mose (w/straw hat) and Sol Gerber

36: Viola, Mary, Wayne, Lloyd ( on trike) Nancy, Frieda, Marlene. | Skippy, Lloyd, Nancy, Wayne playing music on snow bank. | Wayne and Lloyd with new wagon | Lloyd climbing a tree in Michigan on a holiday to visit one of Sol's cousins . | 8 12 14 | 15 | 7

37: Every year after harvest and before the school year started, Mom, Dad and us kids would go to USA for a vacation. We would get Don or Wesley Gerber to chore for us. Dad had approx. 50 first cousins living in various states. Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa and Kansas were some of the places we visited. Some of these visits were more memorable than others. One of dads cousins , Mose Albrecht, had a cabin in the bush. This is where we would stay a few nights. We kids slept in the loft, which we thought was a lot of fun. They had an empty tomato juice can for a toilet in the loft. Wayne and I had no problem using it but the girls would complain. Mose Albrecht would throw rocks on the roof after we went to bed then in the morning would ask us kids if we heard the deer jumping over the roof. One of the Albrecht brothers was a auctioneer, dad bought 2 surge milkers at one of the farm sales he had. I quit school at age 14. The teacher knew I would quit so she allowed me and some other students to take grade 7 and 8 together. My first job was working for an Allis Chalmers Farm Equipment dealer, in Wellesley. I was almost 15 when I got the job. I worked there for 7 years as a mechanic. I did farm chores, for dad, before and after work and also gave most of my money home. ( This was a common thing to do at that time) Mom and Dad would go on holidays and leave us home to chore , we would often have a party. I spent my other weekends going to roller skating and dances. I only dated good looking girls. In the spring of 1967 I met Connie at roller skating. We dated until we got married on August 30,1968. | Sharon Gerber Lloyd, Joyce Bender and Nancy at a house party. | Sol Gerber family approx. 1960 | Lloyd

38: Like branches on a tree, our lives may grow in different directions yet our roots remain as one. | Solomon and Edna Gerber | Edna Gerber, Mary Gingerich, Nancy Yantzi and Anita Gingerich 4 generations

39: Lloyd was an usher for Frieda and Toby on Sept. 10, 1966 | On the long weekend in May 1968 Lloyd, Connie, Frieda, Toby, Nancy, Pearl, Dennis, Wayne, Harry Schmidt, Ethel and Murray Mohr, Glen Diehl, all went on a fishing trip to Port Loring. We stayed at George Wolger's cabins. We had a great time. Some of us went back every spring for a few years. One year we went to George's daughters wedding. We went in the winter a couple times. The cabins were cold. But we had fun. George would take us ice fishing with his snow machine and a toboggan. One year Frieda and Connie were on the toboggan and the rope broke, they were laughing so hard they couldn't stop us.. We were half way across the lake before we noticed. | This is the receipt for Lloyd and Connie's wedding bands. Purchased at Frank and Sons Jewellers, in Listowel.

40: Lloyd and Connie were married on August 30,1968. We went to Rev. Herbert Schultz's home to get married. Linda Arnold was my maid of honor and Wayne Gerber was Lloyd's best man. My brother Ron Martin was the ring barer. We went to the Stratford park, by the court house in Stratford, for our wedding pictures. Joan Linseman took them for us. | Linda pinning on Ronnie's flower. | Wayne pinning Linda's corsage | Lloyd pinning Connie's corsage

41: Mr. & Mrs. Lloyd Gerber | We had a dinner at Ruby and Ed Martin's home for the immediate family. Mom (Ruby Martin) Lloyd's mom (Edna Gerber) and a friend Ilene Bowman prepared the meal. Lloyd and I stayed at the Blue Moon Motel and Restaurant, outside of Listowel, for the first night. Then we went to Algonquin Park for our honeymoon, staying in a little cabin, for a few days. We got a 1960 Chev. from Lloyd's parents. For a wedding gift they gave us a bedroom suite and a set of dishes. From my parents we got a fridge, stove and a large hanging mirror. We were very lucky to get lots of shower and wedding gifts. We had everything we needed for our home.

42: Lloyd and Connie August 30,1968 | Solomon Edna Lloyd Connie Ruby Ed August 30,1968 | Connie and Lloyd leaving for honeymoon

43: We're having a great honeymoon. I burnt the first breakfast I made for Lloyd, He ate it anyway. He looks very sexy when he is shaving. The deer were everywhere and were very friendly.. We weren't suppose to feed them but we did anyway. Will be home soon to help with the harvest. Love Connie

44: When we returned from our honeymoon, our parents had everything moved into our home. It was located on the 14th of Ellice just across the road from my (Lloyd's) parents. Mom and dad had purchased this farm from Ilene and Orlan Yantzi. in 1966 , paying $16,000.00 for it. It had been owned by my uncle Dan. We lived there and we did chores for mom & dad for the rent. Virginia Yvonne was born on March 12,1969. We were in labor for a total of 36 hours. She was born in Stratford. We were very happy to have a beautiful, healthy, baby girl. | Later that spring the economy was very low and I got laid off (from Paff Farm Equipment). We rented the farm from dad and started milking cows. | Our first milk cheque for 2 weeks was $31.00, next one was $65.00 and the 3rd was $88.00 by Oct. our milk cheques were approx. $150-$200. We | also had 4 sows and did quite well selling feeder pigs 70-80 lbs each. In the fall of 1969 we had 1 pig cheque over $1300.00. At this time gas was 44 cents a gal. and furnace oil was 19 cents a gal. I (Lloyd) worked part time to make extra money.. We didn't have a full line of farm equipment at the beginning so we worked to together with mom and dad to do the field work. This was a great help to all of us. | Our first farm | Ginnie

45: On June 6, 1969 Linda Arnold and Ronald Steckly got married. I was a brides-maid for Linda. | Dennis and Mary Ruth back at Port Loring. We enjoyed going there. | Lloyd and Ronnie doing dishes when we were camping at Chesley Lake. Most likely in 1968 or 1969.

46: In the summer of 1969 Connie had a miscarriage. On May 5, 1970 Daniel Paul was born. The labor was down to 26 hours. We were happy to have a healthy, beautiful baby boy. He was born in Stratford hospital. Ginnie was only 14 months old when Dan was born . Connie's mom gave us an old potty chair so Connie painted it up and put a decal on it. Telling Ginnie all the time, what it was for. When she was finished, the potty chair, Ginnie, told her she had to pee and was trained . So easy . But the boys were a different story. | Ginnie playing in laundry basket. | Ginnie's first birthday | Daniel | Danny checking out the tub. | Danny's first birthday | Danny, Connie( expecting Jason) & Ginnie

47: March 12, 1971 | Sol and Edna became good friends with Ruby and Ed. They enjoyed spending time together, for dinner and vacations. | Lloyd enjoyed fishing and hunting. Toby, Dennis and Lloyd often went together. | Jason Lloyd Gerber was born on August 26, 1971. He was born on Lloyd's birthday. What a great birthday present. Our labor was only 10 hours which seemed much shorter than the other two. We were very happy for another healthy, beautiful baby boy. He was also born in Stratford. Dan was 15 months when Jason was born. | Jason | Jason's first birthday.

48: Ginnie | Danny | Jason | Lloyd, Ginnie, Danny & Jason | Great garden on first farm Jason, Ginnie and Danny with their pets. | Ginnie, Danny, Jason

49: In the spring of 1972 we purchased the farm from Sol and Edna. It was lot # 8 concession 14 Ellice Twsp , 100 acres. We continued milking cows and raising pigs. That year we renovated the back kitchen. Turning it into a laundry room- mud room, bed room and sewing room-hallway. The plan was for us to use the bedroom downstairs, but we changed our minds when every morning we would wake up with 3 kids sleeping with us. We turned it into a play room and moved back upstairs putting the 3 kids in the large room above the kitchen. They were young so didn't mind sharing a room. We also made a 2 piece bathroom upstairs. The main bathroom was on the main floor. The kids took swimming lessons, and Ginnie took step dancing lessons. We had many house parties at our place. The Gerber cousins would like to get together. When we moved a small barn to our property and turned it into a pig barn, we had a Halloween party in it, before we moved the pigs in it. Nancy had an electric guitar at that time and got shocks off it, because of the dampness. (new cement floor). We went camping at Chesley Lake Camp with the kids, different times. | Ruby ,Ed, Connie, Lloyd Dan, Ginnie &Jason far left photo. Ginnie, Dan and Jason on Grandpa Martins Lawn tractor | Sept. 15, 1972 Dennis and Mary Ruth Rush were married. They have 7 children. Connie was bridesmaid for Mary Ruth | Sept.22,1973 Wayne & Joyce Hackbart were married. They have 2 children. Lloyd was best man and Ginnie was a flower girl.

50: In 1976 Sol and Edna sold 50 acres and the home buildings to Wayne and Joyce. They purchased the old hotel in Brunner. It had been renovated into apartments. They rented the top apartment to a lady (not sure of name) for a few years . | Solly and Edna in their home in Brunner. This is where Edna passed away on July 17,1981. She is buried in Poole Mennonite cemetery.

51: In the summer of 1976 we took the kids for a trip to the Rainy River District. To visit Dennis and Mary Ruth . They had moved there the year before, buying a 425 acre dairy farm. We liked it there so much we decided to put our farm up for sale. Much to the dismay of our family We went up again in late October to look at farms. We found a 320 acre beef farm and made a tentative agreement with them. We sold our farm in the spring to Elwood Wagler and the day the deal closed we got a call from the beef farmer saying he no longer had his farm for sale, as he and his wife had separated. So we had to make an emergency trip back to the Rainy River District to find a farm. Lucky for us we found and bought a 485 acre dairy farm. Of the 485 acres there were approx. 325 acres workable. We grew 120 acres grain, 130 acres hay and the remainder was pasture and bush. We had John Deer haying equipment, Allis Chalmers tractors and Gleaner (Allis) Combine. The farm had very few stones and was very fertile soil. One 20 acre field yielded over 100 bushels per acre of barley. We took 2-3 crops of alfalfa off a year. We built a 120 foot addition to the barn and increased our milk quota from 400 lbs to 1200 lbs. daily. Also increased our milking herd, at peak we milked 70 cows. It was quite dramatic for the kids to go to a strange school. There were a few tears running down their cheeks when we dropped them off at school. but there were a lot of tears running down their mothers cheeks when we drove away. They soon made friends and all was well. | Martin family picture taken 1976 | Loading tractor | All packed ready to go | First day at Sturgeon Creek School

52: We sold our farm on the 14th of Ellice to Elwood and Flo Wagler. We moved to Stratton, Ontario . | 1977

53: Gerber Kids 1977 | Ginnie | Danny | Jason | Ed and Ruby sold their farm in the fall of 1977 and moved to 365 Boyne Ave. Listowel. They sold lot stock and barrel, to Wheats Binnendyck

54: Farm on Boucherville Rd., Stratton, Ontario | 5 bedroom farm house | Creek just south of house | The move to Northwestern Ontario was definitely a life changing experience, in a lot of ways. I (Lloyd) remember when we first moved onto our farm, the neighbors would slow down to look at us. Bill Boonstra the former owner was a very poor farmer, he used baler twine for fence wire. Needless to say the cows would roam every field often wrecking good crops. So one of the first jobs we did was build some good fences. With new fences going up the neighbors soon saw that we would keep our cows at home. I think that played a role in being accepted in the area. Our next door neighbors thought Connie (with long hair) didn't look like a farmers wife, but she soon changed their minds when she helped fix fence, milk cows, clean stables, drive tractor for field work, smoke a few cigarettes and have a beer. Mostly everyone in the community belonged to the local Farmers Federation, Cattlemen's Association or Dairy Farmers etc. and also curling. Joining these organizations we met and made a lot of never ending friendships. Stratton was the hub of the Rainy River District. The first summer we had a lot of company, this was new to us as they usually stayed for a 2 week period. Starting in June we had visitors until sometime in September. It was difficult to get our work done. We tried to find time to entertain e.g. fishing, camping, campfires, touring the area, usually crossing the boarder to Minnesota for shopping. Most times one family would leave Friday and by Sat. or Sun. the next family would come. We enjoyed seeing everyone but I remember feeling guilty, when the last company left , we said to ourselves, finally we're alone.

55: It was very easy to make new friends in Northwestern Ontario. People are very, very friendly and laid back. Everyone takes the time to talk and invite you in for a coffee. Farming kept us very busy. We had bought lot, stock and barrel. Forty two cows, young cattle and machinery. Between milking chores we managed to put up over 7000 square bales of first cut hay, 3000 second cut hay and over 2000 bales of straw. We built a 36 x 120 ft. addition to the barn, some of it being hay storage. Also put in a 4 stall milking parlor. Our children deserve a lot of credit for all the work they did, we could not have done it with out their help. They unloaded most of the hay and straw bales onto the elevator. Also fed calves, pulled hay out of the mow and cleaned stables. They would even make us cheese whiz and dill pickle sandwiches for lunch when we were out in the field. With organized ball and hockey being too far away they had to self entertain. (They did curl the last winter we were in Stratton.) They fished, explored the bush, skated and played hockey under the large culvert by the road. With temp. as low as -40 to -52 degrees below zero Fahrenheit, the ice was usually 3 ft. thick.The creek that ran through our farm only 100 ft beside the house provided lots of fun things for the kids. They built a tree house and a raft that sank. The kids not only entertained themselves but kept life interesting for Connie and I. Taking their bikes on the barn roof and riding off the edge into a snow drift below. Making a parachute out of a plastic bag and attaching it to a cat and dropping it from the roof of the barn. (Cats have nine lives, the parachute never opened.) Ginnie picking flowers in Fran Anderson's garden and sold them to her.(Fran still laughs about that.) They caught large northern pike in the creek. | Ginnie, Jason, Danny and Skippy Ginnie, Danny and Jason

56: Fishing on Lake of the woods and having a wiener roast on one of the islands. When Ronnie Martin was up for a visit. | Beach at Lake of the Woods | The kids pony Bimbo Dan rode him most. He was tricky and would like to through you off or bite your leg when you rode him. | Sol and Edna for a visit. They usually stayed for 6 weeks. Ruby and Ed would also come for 6 weeks but they usually stayed at Dennis and Mary Ruth's | Lloyd and his best pure bred cow.

57: Baling hay . Usually Connie baled the Kids unloaded onto elevator and Lloyd was in the mow to pile the hay. | Lloyd and Solly went to Steinbach and bought this Gleaner A combine at the Allis Chalmers dealer there. | We moved some buildings into the back forty and burned them. | This family picture must have been taken by someone visiting at our home. We enjoyed the company very much. Didn't have time to get homesick.

58: Robert Anderson (good friend), Brian Bonot ( Stratton grocery store owner) and I (Lloyd) formed a mens fastball team. We entered into the local league, being about 12 teams including 3 teams from Minnesota and 3 Indian teams. It was always interesting playing on the Indian Reserves, we never knew if they would be serious ball players or drunken Indians. Traveling to the USA was also interesting at times. One night in particular we were asked to join the ball team at the bar (after the game). We closed it down at 3 or 4 am. Crossing the border, the driver of the van, said that guy owes me $20.00 bucks from high school and drove right through without stopping. We thought for sure they would chase us, but they didn't. | Our first winter in Stratton, we tried curling. Connie, myself (Lloyd) Alex and Laurie Anderson were on a team one night a week. I curled 2 nights a week in a mens league. Often on weekends I would curl in a bonspiel, usually curling with Robert, Alex and Ross. We often won. Connie's back bothered her to curl so she only curled the one year. I curled until we moved . | We did a lot of fishing on the Rainy River, geographically the Rainy Lake empties into the Rainy River,( being approx. 75 miles long and 1/4 of a mile wide at places,) empties into Lake of the Woods. The Rainy River is known as one of the best fishing rivers in Ontario. Several record size fish have come out of it, e.g. 1000 lb. Sturgeon, over 40 lb. Northern Pike and Muskies. It is the best Walleye fishing I have seen. I caught my first Muskie (approx. 8 lbs.),ice fishing on the river. During the four years in Northwestern Ontario I shot a number of deer, bear and a timber wolf. I skinned the wolf and had it made into a rug. Robert and I did a lot of hunting and fishing together. We sometimes hunted deer illegally using a spot light at night. Lucky we were never caught. Robert wasn't so lucky. One night we were at Rob and Jan's for a visit when the game warden came to confiscate his gun. Robs

59: brother Alex was there and he grabbed the game warden by the neck and pushed him off the porch advising him never to come back. To the best of my knowledge he never did. I was a little worried to have witnessed this but was glad for the entertainment. To this day they refer to us as Red Necks. (I wonder why.) Robert taught me how to fish with Dupont spinners (dynamite). He also helped me remove old stabling with dynamite. That was exciting, we set a charge and it didn't blow, we waited a long time to go back into the barn. We had many good times together. I considered Robert to be my best friend and still do to this day. | Claran and Adrianna (Jane) VanOostveen were married on June 7, 1980. They have 4 children. Dennis, Mary Ruth and the kids and Lloyd, Connie and kids went to the wedding. We each had a hired man at that time to do the chores. We had a busy holiday visiting all our family and fiends. | We had a family picture taken that same winter.

60: Lloyd built new kitchen cupboards and we put in a dishwasher. We painted the first floor of the house as it was lime green and robin egg blue. Nancy and Pearl were there to help us with that. We also put in a combination wood and oil furnace and we had to drill a new well. The garden was at the front of the house but grew mostly weeds so Lloyd plowed a portion of the barn yard beside the house . We fenced it, it grew lots of vegetables and tomatoes for us . The kids and I ( Connie) kept it weed free. I had deteriorated discs in my back, which would make my leg pain and foot go to sleep. Approx. every three months I had to go, by bus, to The Winnipeg Pain Clinic for a cortisone shot, in my discs, to puff them up so my vertebra wouldn't pinch my nerves. In the summer of 1979 I had a D and C because I had polyps. In the fall I went back to the doctor and he said I should have a hysterectomy. Lloyd was in Toronto at a OFA convention and visiting our families. Nancy was planning to come back with him. This turned out to be good timing as I got a call from the hospital to come for the surgery the day after they got home. Nancy was a great help to Lloyd . When I received a call back from the doctor saying it was not cancer, it scared me as I had not even given it a thought that it could have been. It was 6 months before I had all my energy back. Robert and Jan Anderson were good friends of ours. Often on Friday nights they would come to our place when we were choring and make supper for us. We always chored early, rising at 4 am so we would be done by 7 am. This was because we wanted to be done in the evening with the chores so Lloyd could play ball in summer and curl in winter. This worked out good for haying and harvest also, because we could bale or combine until late in the evening. The longest days it would stay light until 11 pm. We often had our supper after we were done in the field. Of course the kids would have had a snack. We were never forgotten at Christmas, Frank and Olive Advent, neighbors of Dennis and Mary Ruth would invite Dennis' family and our family for their family dinner. We would often get invited to the Anderson's also. We could only receive one station on the TV so in the evening Lloyd would get his guitar out and we would all sing. We often complained about not being able to get more stations, but if we would have, we wouldn't have had the fun family times we did trying to learn new songs.

61: We had many pleasant experiences living in the Rainy River District. We worked hard and played hard,..In the fall of 1980, Connie and I (Lloyd) both having back problems, we decided we had to downsize. We decided to take advantage of the increased land and milk quota prices , sell the farm and move back to Southwestern Ontario.. We missed the rest of our family. We sold the farm to Wells Land and Cattle Co. from out west and the cows and quota were sold to various dairy farmers in the area. In January 1981, Norman and Wayne came up with a tractor trailer to move us . We took some machinery also , sending it with a hay truck that was heading to southern Ontario. In April Connie and I went back for our farm sale. | It was a sad time leaving Dennis , Mary Ruth and family and all our new friends. To this day we are still friends with a lot of them.

62: We arranged for some of our equipment to be shipped with a truck that had brought hay to the Rainy River District | Truck we rented to move our furniture. Jan. 1981. Wayne and Norman brought it. | Unloading truck in Brunner at Lloyd's parents apartment. | Lloyd Connie Norman Roy McEwen | Lloyd got a job selling Pickseed

63: We moved into the apartment in Lloyd's mom and dad's house in Brunner We had the upstairs. We purchased Lot 9 Con.14 Ellice Twp. from Lloyd's parents. It was a 100 acre parcel with no buildings. We built a 2100 square ft. bungalow in 1981. | Edna passed away July 17, 1981. She didn't get to see the house finished. She was in the hospital to have a gall bladder operation and she had a heart attack. | In 1982 Lloyd and Connie went on a Cruise. Connie's mom came to stay with the kids. | Passport Pictures 1982 | We built a machine shed in 1982, and in 1983 we built a hip roof barn. | We had sows and operated farrow to finish. We also had a few beef cattle. Lloyd sold corn and grass seed for Pickseed for 3 years. Connie got a job driving bus. Lloyd also drove a handicap van for a while.

64: We went on many vacations, usually with Ron & Linda Steckly. The kids enjoyed going to Blue Mountain Ski Resort in the summer. They had a water slide and a cart ride down the ski hill. We stayed at the Blue Mountain Inn . Staying there we got an unlimited pass for the rides and water park. Often we went camping at Woodland Park. Marine Land was another favorite. We were quite lucky to get VIP passes there, as Linda's brother in law was an employee. The Toronto Zoo was a day trip and also Story Book Gardens in London. We traveled to the Rainy River District to visit, going through the US. The kids always enjoyed stopping to eat at Big Boy . One year our family , Norman, Marlene and family took Grandpa Gerber to West Branch, Michigan . We visited the house where he was born. We took Grandma & Grandpa Martin to Berlin, Ohio. | Ron Linda Connie Lloyd | Marlene, Sol and Lloyd at house where Solly was born. | Connie decided she needed to get her grade 12 so she wrote the PEP test , passing it , she decided to take an accounting course at Conestoga College. She enjoyed doing book work and always did the books and income tax for the farm. She had taken a home study course on Income Tax , from the University of Guelph , while we lived in Stratton.

65: Solly was very lonely without Edna so he sold the big house in Brunner and moved to Pugh St. in Milverton, Buying a nice little bungalow. | Grandpa Gerber | Grandma Martin on the left with the overalls and Grandpa Martin in the pink sweater and scarf. The pigs are friends of theirs that came with them to our house on Halloween. They enjoyed having fun. | Grandpa Martin worked as a guard at Spinrite in Listowel after he retired from the farm. | Grandma Martin enjoyed visiting with elderly people, she also made a lot of quilts and comforters. She made lots of bunnies and bears for the kids.

66: Taken at Grandma & Grandpa Martin's 1983 | When Jason was 12 he had surgery on his leg to align his foot. | Jason and Dan on motorbike. They built a three wheeler out of an old dirt bike and a lawn mower. | Ginnie in a costume for 4H.

67: The kids became involved in sports . They all played ball. After about 3-4 games the boys coach quit, so I (Lloyd) volunteered to coach the team. Keith Gilbert was assistant coach. The second year Jason played squirt ball, our team took home 3 championships, including 1983 All Ontario Champions. I continued coaching minor ball for 9 years.From Squirt to Midget. Dan and Jason played every other year on the same team making it easier for us to get the kids to where they were going. Ginnie played ball for a couple years, she also played ball for Poole Church. | The boys played hockey also. I helped coach minor hockey for 9 years, I was assistant coach - trainer-manager of the Juveniles. In later years , I was involved with senior hockey , for approx. 10 years. I was statistician and on the executive of the 4 Wheel Drives. Serving first as program chair- fund raising chair- vice president- president. We had a very good executive which contributed to the success of the League. They won 3 League Championships in a 4 year period Dan played for the Drives for about 3 years. | Jason | Lloyd | Lloyd | Dan | Jason | Ginnie

68: We rented a house boat for a vacation and I ( Lloyd ) was the captain. | I worked for Garry Schwartzentruber Const. for a couple of years then I decided to go on my own. We formed Lloyd Gerber Construction Ltd. in 1986. We did some new construction, mostly renovations and a little commercial. Connie did the books and was the sec/treas. for the company I was the pres. and the boss. I usually had very good employees, including Dan, Jason and Rob. I had some part time employees which kept the business interesting. We had the advantage of doing most of our work locally and knew most of the customers. Only a few didn't pay. I operated the construction co. from 1986-2008 23 years. | We often had Solly , Ruby and Ed for dinner. They liked to play cards. Dan saw an old car sitting behind Ellwood Waglers barn and decided he would buy it and rebuild it. It was a 1969 chevelle. | Ginnie belonged to the 4H Beef club and showed cattle at the fair.

69: Lloyd working on an estimate and Connie doing books. Ginnie discussing something with her dad. | Ron and Jacquie Mae Reis got married May 4,1985. They have 3 children. Ginnie was a bridesmaid and Dennis was best man. | In the fall of 1987 Ginnie moved to London, to go to Fanshawe College. She graduated the fallowing year,1988, as a dental assistant. She got a job in Listowel . | Rob and Ginnie engagement picture.

70: This is taken in the winter of 1987. At the Poole Church. | Ruby and Ed Martin celebrated their 40th Wedding Anniversary 1988, at the Listowel Missionary Church. Having an open house. These family pictures were taken there. | The kids bought an old Gremlin to practice driving with, they paid $50,00 for it. It was a standard transmission. We rented land from Christian Ropp and one day Jason was driving the car and skippy jumped on his lap and he hit a fence post. No one was hurt but it smashed the windshield.

71: Rob and Ginnie were married October 1, 1988 at the United Church in Milverton. They had a horse and carriage take them for pictures and to the hall for the reception. | Dan was an usher.

72: In the fall of 1987 we took a trip to Rainy River District to go deer hunting. Dan and Jason went along. Lloyd shot a 13 point buck in Dennis' field. We brought it home and had it mounted. It is in our rec room today. | Lloyd with his trophy deer on van. Lloyd, Dennis, Jason and Dan. | Fifty's Dance ! A fund raiser for the snowmobile club. | Linda and Connie helping Ruby to tie a comforter. | 1989 Lloyd Connie

73: Dan graduated from Northwestern Secondary School in 1987. During his last couple years in high school he took co-op. He was lucky to stay at the same shop all the time. During the summers Dan worked for Lloyd Gerber Construction and he also worked at Roulston's Garage pumping gas after school and weekends. When he graduated he got a job at Stratford Motor Products and apprenticed for a mechanic. Dan had a horse for a while. It was pretty wild , it only liked Dan to ride him. | Jason worked at Roulston's Fuels after school and weekends while going to school. He also worked for Lloyd Gerber Const. during the summers. He graduated from Northwestern Secondary School in 1988. He started full time with Lloyd Gerber Construction Ltd. for a few years. He wanted to be an electrician so he got at job at Cullitons in Stratford and apprenticed for an electrician. Jason liked to sing.

74: In early 1989 we traveled to Lake Placid, New York with the Wellesley Old Timer hockey team, for a tournament. They won it. | Connie was back to driving bus. She had worked at Famme & Co. for a couple of years doing, proofing. She found that very stressful. Between Christmas and New years in 1988 we decided it was too hard to farm and do construction. We put the farm up for sale and in 2 weeks the farm was sold. We had no idea where we would move to. We drove around looking and asking people if they would sell their property to no avail. Connie drove past the old store on Mill St. in Milverton everyday with the bus and was sure no one lived there. We decided to look into that property. It was owned by John Haynes. We made them an offer and by spring we were tearing it down. We rented a house trailer from Glen Diehl on the Rostock road and we lived there while we built our new home at 113 Mill St. E.

75: In August of 1989, Rob and Ginnie moved to Thunder Bay. Ginnie was taking Dental Hygiene at Confederation College. We rented a truck to move their belongings . After we got them settled we continued on to Emo to pickup some pine paneling for our house, we were building. At Christmas that year we had our Gerber Christmas at the Rostock Hall. It was on Christmas Eve Day. The next day we were at Norman and Marlene's for dinner. We got a call that Bonnie had died. She had meningitis. Because we had been with Bonnie the day before we all had to have medication to make sure we didn't catch it or spread it. Ginnie decided to fly home for the funeral. It was a very sad time for all of us. The boys went to Thunder Bay to visit Rob and Ginnie and go skiing . Lloyd , Connie, Linda and Ron went up to Ginnie's graduation. Rob and Ginnie moved home that summer and she got a job in Stratford and Rob got a job with Lloyd Gerber Construction. | Ginnie Rob | Sol Gerber and Children 1989 | Jason, Ginnie Dan Nipper | Ginnie

76: This is the old building we purchased on 113 Mill St. E. We tore it down and sold the bricks. We used some of the bricks for the chimney in | the new house. It was a 2300 sq. ft., open concept ,home. It had wood floors and ceilings. We had 2 bedrooms , full bath and a loft on the second floor. The first floor had kitchen, full bath, bedroom, living room. The basement had | rec room, wood room, office/ bedroom, utility room, 2 pc. bath, and a fruit cellar. We also built a work shop for Lloyd. Many cupboards got built in it. | Lloyd also rebuilt a 1956 chevy. We enjoy going to car shows and cruise nights with this car.

77: In the spring of 1989 we decided we still wanted to look for a cottage. We looked at some on Chesley Lake , Miller Lake, Gould Lake and nothing was affordable. The real estate agent told us of some lots on Gould Lake so we took a look. Wow this is great, just what we wanted. We bought 2 lots. The one we planned to build on and the other we sold to the kids. This worked out well for them. As they needed money for a down payment, on a house, they sold their share back to us, making a profit. | We camped a few times in a tent and got rained out so we decided to buy a small camper. We were able to keep it on the property until we had the cottage built. | On December 7,1991 Jocelyn Amber Perry was born. Our first grandchild, Ruby and Ed's first great-grand child. Solly's first great- grand child. Ginnie and Rob were renting Glen Diehl's trailer. Later in 1992 they bought | Four generation Martins Four generation Gerbers | a house on King St. in Milverton.

78: Ruby and Ed got into the wood craft business so Connie thought she would help them out. We went to local craft fairs and did quite well. Lloyd built an addition onto Granny's Restaurant and Bernice asked us if we would like to sell our products at her store. It kept us very busy. | In March 1992 Ruby turned 70, she hosted her own birthday party. ( Her wish.) On April 22,1992 she passed away, in London Health Science Center. She had cirrhosis of the liver. Ruby is buried in Listowel cemetery. We lost both our mothers at a young age. Dad had a touch of dementia and was not able to stay alone so the | house was sold. Dad had us pick what we wanted and then had an auction sale for the rest. He gave each of the grandkids $400.00, to buy what they would want, to keep it fair, as some were very young and wouldn't have taken anything. Lloyd, Ron and Dennis had a good time sorting through Ruby's hats. | Ed moved into Livingston Manor in Listowel. He had an accident and lost his license. Connie would take him shopping and he would take her out to lunch once a week. He enjoyed eating out. His dementia worsened and he had to move to Knollcrest Lodge. This was handier for Connie as she was working there. He still enjoyed going shopping. | Lloyd Ron Dennis | Ruby

79: We still had a weekly ritual of shopping and eating out. Lloyd sold some of his guns at Edmunds sale. He thought he didn't need them, any more. He has since purchased a couple to replace the ones he sold. | Connie took a certificate course at Conestoga College and was able to get a part time cooking position at Knollcrest. | (I worked 2 years of full time for a leave) I started Aug 1 1991. This was my favorite job. I was 41 before I really new what I wanted to be when I grew up. Ha! Ha! I really enjoyed the residents and my co-workers. The time just flew by, because you were so busy. It was a very fast pace job. I worked there until I retired in June, 2008.

80: By May 1992 we had started the cottage. The clearing and digging were done. Lloyd, Jason, Rob and Michelle did the foundation. Lloyd didn't come home for 6 weeks, until he had the building framed in, by August we were moved in. It wasn't done but was livable. | We didn't put the boat in the water all summer until the cottage was framed. Then the old thing quit and Lloyd and I had to paddle it back to the dock. So we decided we deserved a new boat and bought a 1992 Invader with an inboard motor. In the early fall Lloyd built the chimney and hooked up a stove. We had drywall in the kitchen and the main bathroom. The rest of the walls were either pink insulation or just studs. Every year we did a little more to finish it. When we were building there was a bear paw print in the mud, on the lake side of the house. | Lloyd | Robert Lloyd Ryan | Dennis Mike Ron | Jason Lloyd Rob

81: We built a dock and a walkway through the wet area to get to our dock. We used flag stone for our patio and the lake side of yard and for our side walks. Norman and Marlene helped us with the patio. We used board and batten for our siding on the cottage, we stained it gray to look old. As the years pass it seems to just blend in with the old boards. We haven't had to redo it at all. All of our children were a great help to build our dream cottage. They all enjoy coming when they can for holidays.

82: We took the grandpas to the lake once in a while. They enjoyed the boat but we had trouble getting them in and out. | In August 1993 the kids planned a surprise 25th Anniversary Party for us. They gave us a gift cert. to get our picture taken. | On June 17,1993 Luke Robert Perry was born. He was our second grandchild. Rob and Ginnie's second child.

83: Dan drag raced his Chevelle at the London Drag strip. for fun, to see what it could do. Later he got a Chevy 2 and raced in the Super Pro Series. | Dan took his Chevy 2 to Norwalk to race one year. Lloyd and Ken went with him. Will Steckly won the whole event that year.

84: We enjoy the peace and quite of the lake Lloyd loves to fish and I enjoy the peacefulness of the water at night.

85: Rick & Jeany Willfong of Listowel, and Lloyd & Connie Gerber of Milverton, would like to announce the forth coming marriage of Michelle and Jason. The marriage will take place Saturday, August 6, 1994 at the Listowel Pentecostal Church | Jason and Michelle , and Dan and Michele both got married in 1994

86: Jason sang for Michelle!! | They left on the back of Michelle's uncle Harvey's chevy truck. | Dan was best man and Jocelyn was flower girl. A family picture and a picture with Jason's grandpa's. | Jason & Michelle were married on August 6, 1994

87: August 6, 1994 | Dan and Michele were married on September 10,1994 | A picture with Dan's grandpa's | They left in Dan's 1969 Chevelle | Ginnie and Jason sang at the wedding. Jason was best man and Jocelyn was flower girl. A family picture with Luke missing.

88: Jason and Michele lived in an apartment on Railway Ave, in Stratford, the first year they were married. Dan and Michelle bought a house, 6 James St. in Milverton. They still live there today. The street name has changed to MacBeth St. The following year Jason and Michelle moved to Milverton, buying a house on William St. | On March 15, 1996 Colton Lee Gerber was born, Dan and Michele's first born. | On April 2,1996 Sylvia Megan Perry was born. She was Ginnie and Robs third born. | Jocelyn 4 1/2 Luke 3 Sylvia 3 months | Connie Grandpa Martin Dan Colton 4 generations

89: In September 1996 we had a 80th Birthday Party-Open House for Grandpa Martin. We held it at Knollcrest Lodge . He was living there at the time. We took some 4th generation pictures. | Lloyd, Dan, Ginnie, Sylvia, Jocelyn, Grandpa Gerber, Colton, Luke. | Connie, Dan, Ginnie, Sylvia Jocelyn, Grandpa Martin, Colton, Luke. | Every Christmas Santa comes to our Christmas dinner bringing a gift for all the grandchildren.

90: On February 19th,1997 Kailynn McKinzie Gerber was born. Jason and Michelle's first born. | Lloyd Jason Kailynn Solly 4 generations | On November 27,1997, Edmund G. Martin passed away, at his home, Knollcrest. We were all able to be with him. He was buried in Listowel Cemetery. | Lloyd quit smoking in October 1998

91: Carly Brooke Gerber was born on July 13,1998. She was Jason and Michelle's second born. | On August 1,1998 Solly moved into the William St. apartments, across from Knollcrest Lodge. He had given up his license and bought a scooter. He was able to get some of his meals at Knollcrest. He sold his house in Sept. Lloyd sold his toy tractor collection at the sale. On January 27,1999 we moved him into Knollcrest. He was not able to live on his own anymore. He was not happy with the family for doing that but adjusted quite well to living there.

92: Kennedy Daniel Gerber was born on March 25,1999. He was Dan and Michele's second born. This was grandma Martin's birthday. | In August of 1999, Connie had a torn retina and had surgery on it in London at the Ivy Eye Institute. In September of 1999 , Lloyd, Connie, Linda and Ron Steckly went on a trip to Eastern Canada. We visited all the Eastern Prov. except Newfoundland. We enjoyed the east very much. Visited Connie's cousin Tim Burkhart on the Cabot Trail. Went to one of Scott Steckly's races in New Brunswick | The Bay of Fundy, tide rises 46 ft. We walked on ocean floor when the tide was out.

93: The railway property became available, across the road from us, so we bought it. We decided to build a small bungalow on it. We put our house up for sale and Rex and Mary Kipfer bought it. In October 1999 we started to dig, by the time the snow came we had it all closed in. That was lucky for us because we had a lot of snow that winter. Lloyd was sick of keeping fires going. We had one in the house we were living, one in the shop, and one in the new house basement. Rex and Mary got possession of the house in January so we moved into the basement of the new house until be had the main floor completed. In the spring we planted some large trees. They didn't all survive, but some did. We built a shop and put a wrought iron fence around the front. We also had a little garden in the back by the shop. This was 112 Mill St. E.

94: On November 29,1999 Sol Gerber passed away. He was living at Knollcrest Lodge. He was buried in the Poole Mennonite Cemetery. | Cassidy Ruby Mae Gerber was born on August 5,2000. She was Dan and Michele's third born. | Colton 4 Kennedy 1 1/2 Cassidy 3 mo.

95: On January 1,2001 Hanna Jean Gerber was born. She was Jason and Michelle's third child. She was the first born in Listowel Hospital and in Perth County in 2001. She got lots of gifts. Jason & Michelle had moved to Boyne Ave, Listowel. | We bought some butcher equipment again and started making our own sausage. Norman and Marlene helped us when we lived in Milverton. We do it ourselves now. We put the whole pig into sausage , except the ribs. We also make liverwurst. | I wanted a volkswagon again so we bought one. It needed quite a bit of work and we never got at it so we sold it . It would have been a fun car if we would have gotten it finished. | Connie Lloyd Norman | Norman Lloyd Marlene | Connie Linda

96: In September of 2002 we took our truck to get oiled at James Roes'. He put it on the hoist and the back end broke down. Lloyd was able to still drive it and it looked like he was in the movie Smoky and the Bandit. Dan had opened Dan's Performance Plus, that same year so we were able to take it to his shop to get repaired. He put a new frame under it. | Funny | The insurance was very good about it . James and our insurance split the bill. | In 2003 we took a trip to Stratton for Morley Twsp. 100 th Anniversary. The ball team that Lloyd, Dennis and Robert played on played against the Stratton Old Timers. | Robert, Lloyd, Dennis | Pauline was pitching to Lloyd. | Stratton Old Old Timer Team. This was the original Stratton Ball Team formed in 1977.

97: 2003 | Ginnie, Rob Jason, Michelle, Michele and Dan | Perry Family Rob, Luke, Ginnie, Sylvia and Jocelyn | Gerber Family Michele, Kennedy, Colton, Dan and Cassidy | Gerber Family Michelle, Jason, Carly, Hanna, Kailynn

98: On December 16,2004, Sam Hayden Gerber was born. He was Jason and Michelle's 4th child. | Kailynn 8 Carly 7 Hanna 5 Sam 7 mo. | The picture to the left is a murder mystery at Wilson and Joyce Cooks 2005, Connie was wearing her mother's wedding dress. 1940's The other was a murder mystery at Thelma and Nigel 's. Lloyd was a retired army captain and I was a flirt. We had lots of fun doing these

99: Jocelyn 1991 Colton 1996 Luke 1993 Sylvia 1996 | Kailynn 1997 Carly 1998 Kennedy 1999 | Cassidy 2000 Hanna 2001 Sam 2004 | 10 Grandkids

100: In 2005 we purchased 160 acres in Chapple Twsp. We rent the land to Len and Dora Mae Stafford. In 2006 we purchased a railway bunkie from Robert and Jan . Robin, Lloyd and Robert moved it onto our property. In 2007 we moved our furniture to the cabin. We have put new flooring, new doors, and some windows. Built a roof and porch on it. We run with a generator and solar power. We usually go up for a month or two in the fall. We sold some logs off of it in 2011. Lloyd bought a D19 Allis Chalmers tractor in Manitoba . We will do some plowing and logging with it. | 2005 | 2011 | Dan joined the Milverton Volunteer Fire Department. They made a calendar to raise money for a defibrillatar.

101: 2005 | 2005 | We had a family picture done in Cambridge in 2006. We had a hard time planning it as Rob was in Wales most of the summer for work and Jocelyn was going to California to go to school. She stayed with Carla (Advent) while she was there. She came home before Christmas. We kept busy with the grandkids and going to the cottage. I had to work every other weekend .

102: In the fall of 2006 we decided we should retire so we put our house up for sale and cleared some trees at the cottage to make room for a garage. We sold the house in the spring to Elaine and Earl Leis. We moved the end of April. Boy it was hard to get two houses of furniture into one. We had to sell some things. Lloyd retired but built the garage. I kept working for another year. We had lots of help with the garage. Toby and Frieda are with Lloyd in the picture. | In the fall when we came back from the north 5 of us ladies decided to go on a shopping trip to Birch Run. I drove because I had lots of room for our parcels. It was the last trip our green | truck made. We were hit by a car that ran a red light. Thank goodness no one was hurt, but the truck was totaled. The frame was bent and the axle was split. We had to rent a van to come home.

103: We love having the kids , grandkids and greatgrandkids come for holidays.

104: In June of 2008 Connie retired. We were married for 40 years in August so we had a Party at the Milverton Complex. We asked the kids to do a singing program. Ginnie, Jason, Jocelyn, Luke, Sylvia, Carly, Cassidy and Hanna all sang. Cassidy did a little speech. Jason, Ginnie and Michelle put together a slide show of pictures from our life. Ginnie, Rob, Dan, Jason, Dennis, Toby, Frieda, Nancy, Linda and Wayne did a comedy , mock wedding skit. They all did a terrific job. Everyone really enjoyed the entertainment. We really appreciated all our immediate family ,extended family and friends did for us that night. | Our Wedding Party Wayne - best man Lloyd-groom Connie-bride Linda-maid of honor Ron-ring bearer | We took a trip to the west coast. We traveled first to Stratton to unload some supplies . Then we went to Worthington Minn. to see Lloyd's ancestors settlement and a metal sign with the names of the settlers who died there. We traveled zig zagging | through the northern states to California and up the coast to BC. We traveled mostly on scenic routes, not main highways. We saw huge redwoods in Cal. we drove through one. We traveled through the western provinces . We enjoyed using the back roads as we really saw how people lived . We ended up at our cabin and stayed there for 4 more weeks. We were gone a total of 10 weeks. This was a very enjoyable trip. Lloyd said it was a good thing we didn't do that trip when we were young or we may have moved to Idaho. The mountains were something to see too.

105: Gypsy | Ginnie and Cathy Luckhart started doing gigs. They called themselves Gypsy. They played at quite a few events and some night clubs. | In 2009 Jason won the CMT Canadian Karaoke Star. He auditioned in Kitchener and went on the win a trip to Banff and $10,000.00. Michelle went with him to Banff. | Jason, Ginnie and Luke Put on a free concert in Listowel , for a fundraiser.

106: Calvin was diagnosed with a brain tumor in late December of 2008. He passed away on March 2,2009, in Exeter hospital , with his family with him. He had no pain. | Mary Calvin | Bill Nancy | Nancy was diagnosed with lung cancer and a brain tumor in Feb. 2009. She had the brain tumor removed, but it grew back She stayed at our place for a while, then at Norman and Marlene's, then she went to Knollcrest where she passed away on June 28,2009. Two family members in the same year and both died from a brain tumor.

107: Kobe Owen Perry was born on February 10, 2010. He was Jocelyn's first born, Ginnie and Rob's, first grandchild and our first great-grandchild. | Our friends Robert and Jan Anderson come to visit almost every spring. We have many good friends in the Stratton area. We are never left with nothing to do when we go for a month or two in the fall. In the fall of 2011 we logged some ash and sold the logs, some of them going to Korea. | At home (the cottage is our home now) we are kept very busy, doing yard work. Lloyd has 3 tractors he is working on, International A, Allis Chalmers WD45, and a Allis Chalmers D15. He plans to rebuild all of them. He also has an Allis Chalmers D19 that he purchased in Manitoba in 2011. We will keep that one at the farm. He bought another D15 that he will bring home to rebuild also. This should keep him busy for a couple of winters.

108: 2012 | When we moved to the cottage we did some major renovations. We built out the porch to make a larger entrance, put new windows and doors in. Added an ensuite to the master bedroom. Finished the whole basement, building cupboards for the office | and a murphy bed. We built a brick wall behind the stove and put a wood box in it, with access to fill it, from the wood room. We tore the wall out between the living room and kitchen opening it up for an island. Built new cupboards. We have a little garden with a fence around it. In 2011 we built a garden | shed and planted some apple trees and a peach tree. We have some red and black currents in the garden and a grape vine growing on the trellis by the garden. Every spring we cut wood and pile it in our wood shed. We like to stay a year ahead so the wood dries. We usually heat only with wood. We put a new oil furnace and tank in for backup when we are away

109: For each one of our siblings we had a 60th Birthday party for them at our place Who ever could come would stay for the weekend. We did lots of reminiscing. Guess who's birthday? | Dennis | This is a Martin Family picture taken in December, 2011. Jacquie was unable to attend. | In January 2012, Marlene and Norman had a dinner for the Gerber siblings. This is a Gerber family picture.

110: Perry Family 2012 | This was taken in February 2012, at Rob and Ginnie's home. Sylvia age 15, Rob age 51, Jocelyn age 20, Luke age 18, Ginnie age 42, Kobe age 2.

111: Rob, Ginnie, Sylvia and Luke live at 32 Mill St. E., Milverton.. Jocelyn and Kobe live at 59 Campbell Court, Apt. 206, Stratford. Rob: works for Acumetal, in Stratford. It is a fabrication factory. They make all sorts of metal parts for large equipment. He enjoys his job cutting metal for the projects. He also makes wall art out of metal. Ginnie: when they sold the restaurant went back to school. She took hypnotherapy, hypnobirthing, and also became a Doula. She has her own business out of her home, helping people with stress, smoking, weight loss etc. She also works part time for Perth County Health as a dental hygienist. Jocelyn would like to work in the health field either PSW or RPN. Maybe a counselor. She would like to help people. She stays busy raising Kobe. Luke goes to Conestoga College , taking aviation and is becoming a helicopter pilot at Waterloo Regional Airport. His goal is to become an air ambulance pilot. Sylvia is in grade 10 at Northwestern Secondary School. She is on the junior volleyball team and also plays hockey for Milverton Midget girls. She hopes to go onto University and become a doctor. Kobe turned two and is a true boy very busy. He visits his dad on weekends.

112: 2012 Gerber Family | This picture was taken in March 2012. At Dan and Michele's home. Dan age 41, Michele age 38 Kennedy age 12, Colton age 15 Cassidy age 11

113: Dan, Michele, Colton, Kennedy and Cassidy live at 6 McBeth St. in Milverton. They have part of Ken ( Michele's) dad's, barn for their 3 horses and miniture donkey. Dan has an auto shop, Dan's Performance Plus, with one employee. He is a volunteer fire fighter for Milverton. Michele works at the Milverton Mini Mart full time. She enjoys going to the farm and looking after the horses. Colton goes to Northwestern Secondary School and is in grade 10. He works in auto shop with a friend, Alex at school. At home he plays gran turismo 5 and works on Kennedy's dirt bike. He wants to be a mechanic when he is done school. Kennedy is in grade 7, at Milverton Public School. He plays hockey. Rides his horse and does some roping . He rides his dirt bike, and at school plays volley ball and basket ball. He would like to be a fire fighter or a helecopter pilot when he is done school. Cassidy is in grade 6 at Milverton Public School. She plays basket ball and volley ball at school. She likes to text her fiends and enjoys the horses. She helps at the horse show, being a ring steward. She wants to be a doctor or a secretary.

114: Gerber Family | This picture was taken in summer 2011. At Tesa's wedding. Carly age 13, Jason age 40, Michelle age 37 Sam age 6, Hanna age 10, Kailynn age 14

115: Jason, Michelle, Kailynn, Carly, Hanna and Sam live at 342 Boyne Ave. Listowel. Jason works for Mornington Communications , in Milverton. He sold his security business to them in 2011, and has been running it for them. He still enjoys singing. Michelle works at the Listowel Hospital, in the kitchen. She is taking Early Childhood Education, by home study. Kailynn is in grade nine at Listowel District Secondary School. She enjoys drawing. She is not sure what she wants to do yet when she finishes school. Carly is in grade eight at Central Public School in Listowel. She likes to text her fiends. She would like to go to University and become a lawyer. Hanna is is grade five at Listowel Eastdale Public School. She plays volleyball at school and cross country. In the summer she plays ball and in the winter she plays hockey for Upper Maitland Mustangs. She would like to be a veterinarian. Sam is in grade 2 at Listowel Eastdale Public School. He plays hockey in the winter and ball in the summer. He would like to be a famous hockey player when he grows up. | 2012

116: Four Generations May 2012 | Lloyd Ginnie Kobe Jocelyn | Connie Lloyd Ginnie Rob Jocelyn Kobe

117: This is an article I found a long time ago. I kept it because it made me understand how important a visit is to an older person. It is easy to remember the look on their faces when we would surprise them with a visit on a Sunday or the sound of joy when we would make a call to them. Many times we were told we don't need anything, for Christmas or birthdays, etc. As we grow older we realize too. That we don't need for anything. A phone call or a visit is worth more to us than a material gift. We hope as you grow older this book has the answers to some of your unasked questions. Lloyd and I both wish we would have asked more questions when we had parents to answer them. Connie and Lloyd

118: Ruby Burkhart | Irene Woolner | Herbert Burkhart | Edmund Martin | Rebecca Gingrich | Annias Martin | Hannah Clemmer | John Woolner | Hanna Eby | Enoch Burkhart | Magdalena Bauman | Moses Gingrich | Leah Musselman | Absolom Martin | Connie Martin | Martin Family | Connie

119: Lloyd Gerber | Edna Yantzi | Solomon Gerber | Nancy Bender | Christian Yantzi | Rachel Ropp | Daniel Gerber | Annie Schwartzentruber | Noah Bender | Barbara Ruby | Michael Yantzi | Elizabeth Schweitzer | Joseph Ropp | Magdalena Brenneman | Joseph Gerber | Gerber Family | Connie and Lloyd | Lloyd

120: Hereditary Fructose Intolerance Viola Burkhart Bowman and Martha Burkhart Weber my moms sisters were both born with this condition, Claran Martin and I (Connie) both inherited it also. Definition: Hereditary Fructose Intolerance is an inherited condition where the body does not produce the chemical needed to break down fructose ( fruit sugar). Description: Fructose is a sugar found naturally in fruits, vegetables, honey and table sugar. Fructose Intolerance is a disorder caused by the body's inability to produce an enzyme called aldolase B( also called fructose 1-phosphate aldolase) that is necessary for absorption of fructose. The undigested fructose collects in the liver and kidneys, eventually causing liver and kidney failure. One person in about 20,000 is born with this disorder. It is reported more frequently in the United States and Northern European countries than in other parts of the world. It occurs with equal frequency in males and females. Causes and Symptoms: Fructose intolerance is an inherited disorder passed on to children through their parents' genes. Both the mother and father have the gene that causes the condition, but may not have symptoms of fructose intolerance themselves. (This is called an autosomal recessive pattern of inheritance). The disorder will not be apparent until the infant is fed formula, juice, fruits or baby foods that contain fructose. Initial symptoms include vomiting, dehydration, and unexplained fever. Other symptoms include extreme thirst and excessive urination and sweating. There will also be a loss of appetite and a failure to grow. Tremors and seizures caused by low blood sugar can occur. The liver becomes swollen and the patient becomes jaundiced with yellowing of the eyes and skin. Left untreated, this condition can lead to coma and death. Diagnosis: Urine test can be used to detect fructose sugar in the urine. Blood test can also be used to detect hyperbillirubinemia and high levels of liver enzymes in the blood. A liver biopsy may be performed to test for levels of enzymes present and to evaluate the extent of damage to the liver. A fructose-loading test where a dose of fructose is given to the patient in a well controlled hospital or clinical setting may also be

121: used to confirm fructose intolerance. Both the biopsy and the loading test can be very risky, particularly in infants that are already sick. Treatment: Once diagnosed, fructose intolerance can be successfully treated by eliminating fructose from the diet. Patients usually respond within three to four weeks and can make a complete recovery if fructose-containing foods are avoided. Early recognition and treatment of the disease is important to avoid damage to the liver, kidneys, and small intestine. Prognosis: If the condition is not recognized and the diet is not well controlled, death can occur in infants or young children. With a well-controlled diet, the child can develop normally and live a long life. Viola lived a healthy life until she was well in her 80's Martha is still living at the writing of the book. Mom discovered Claran and I had the condition when she started feeding us baby food, fruit. We would vomit it up. We were lucky that she had two sisters with this disorder and discovered it when we were very young. It is very important that this information gets forwarded to our decedents. Fructose Intolerance Diet : No Fruit, fruit juice, of any kind. No sugar, fructose , sucrose, sorbitol , or sweetners No Vegetables with high sugar content-carrots, corn, peas, tomatoes or any canned veg. with sugar. Anything that contains any amount of sugar, fructose or any type of sweetner. READ THE LABELS!!!! I used to hate going to birthday party's when I was a kid . I hated being different from the other kids , so I would eat some cake and ice cream then I would come home and be sick to my stomach. If I feel like I'm not getting enough sugar, I just eat a couple crackers and the the starch in them turns into sugar. I have lived a fairly healthy life so far. You would think if you can't eat dessert there should be no weight problem. Not the case. Both my parents must have had it in their genes. Mom I know for sure because of my aunts, but no one that we know of on dads side had the symptoms. IF I END UP INCOHERIENT IN MY OLD AGE PLEASE GIVE THIS INFORMATION TO THE DIETARY MANAGER OF THE HOME I AM IN.

Sizes: mini|medium|large|behemoth
Connie Gerber
  • By: Connie G.
  • Joined: almost 8 years ago
  • Published Mixbooks: 1
No contributors

About This Mixbook

  • Title: Gerber Martin Family History
  • Family history of Lloyd and Connie Gerber published 2012
  • Tags: None
  • Published: over 7 years ago