Get up to 50% Off + 10% Off! Code: MIX18 Ends: 5/21 Details

  1. Help
Get up to 50% Off + 10% Off! Code: MIX18 Ends: 5/21 Details

Janis Hall Golding Book

Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.

Janis Hall Golding Book - Page Text Content

S: "Come what may and love it! "

FC: "Come what may and love it! "

1: A book made especially for you, written almost entirely by our mom. You meant the world to her. Love, All of the Golding Girls

3: I was born to Theron M. and Wanda Gibbons Hall in McNary, Arizona on June 3, 1954. Dr. Arnold, who later proved to be a life-time friend, delivered me. June third just happened to be my Grandmother Edna Gibbons' birthday, thus the frequent referral to me as her birthday girl. Being the fifth of seven children, I'm sure I was a great disappointment to my then only brother Tim. I think Tim had prayed for a brother more fervently with each delivery. My father was in a serious automobile accident soon after I was born leaving me to my Grandmother Gibbons' care for several weeks to months. This I'm sure accounts for MUCH of my spoiled behavior. And I'm told that the majority of my behavior was SPOILED!!!

4: My family moved to St. Johns when I was nine months old. We rented the old Whiting home across the street from the LDS Church. I’m told that one evening my parents had gone out for the evening leaving Tim to babysit; I suppose he tired of my crying and confined me to the screened porch. Apparently I didn’t take too kindly to this and screamed until one of the neighbors came to investigate, finding Tim sleeping peacefully. In 1957 my parents built a home just south of Main Street in St. Johns. A portion of the house was devoted to the Title Company they owned. This worked out well as Mom was always there whenever we came home, even though she was a “working mother”. It’s funny, I never realized my mother worked as we always enjoyed homemade bread, cookies, pies, and all sorts of goodies on a regular basis. There was always something yummy smelling in the kitchen. I guess I was a great help in the office during my pre-school years. On one occasion (I am told) I left my typing position stating, “Damnit, I’ve got a headache and need an aspirin”.

7: I can still remember the rejection I felt when Margo reached school age and left me for the school kids and kindergarten. Somehow I had grown so attached to her it was hard for me to carry on by myself. But somehow the time passed and I continued my constant companionship with Richie Bast and his cousins. Dad Patterson and Momma Josie lived across the street and I’m sure they wouldn’t have minded if I had spent more time at home, as I was soon considered part of the family rather than company. I remember how Dad Patterson would load all us kids up in the back of his Ranchero type car and take us to the Drug Store for a Coke. That was often the highlight of our day. Dad Patterson was great, but no one compared to Grandpa Gibbons. He was always good for lots of fun and games. Even though he was extremely busy with his judicial work, he always seemed to have time to spend with me. I was always willing to star in his movie pictures as he was a great amateur photographer. We would even play court in the court room. If I was extra persuasive, Grandpa would even let me wear the robe and act as judge. I thought that was great - “The honorable Janis Hall”. I think that all of my spare time away from family was spent with Richie Bast. We became inseparable. We wrote, directed and starred in plays which were the hit of the neighborhood. (At least we thought so). We even began charging admission and giving door prizes which were usually a piece of our Mother’s jewelry or the such. I remember one occasion when my mother was taking a bath and I started in to talk to her. She said, “Janis don’t bring them in here,” and I answered, “Mom, it’s just Richie and Dana”.

8: dance recitals

9: Our great friendship was severed though - as Richie and his family moved across town, which at our age may as well have been to another world. But looking back now, that special bond is still there. To fill the void of Richie’s presence, JoAnn Patterson and I began having dance recitals. I’m not sure we were as great as we thought we were, but we seemed to always have an audience at our performances. (As I recall anyhow). My turn to go to school finally came. I can still remember having Alma Patterson for my kindergarten teacher. Somehow I felt I should be her pet as I was JoAnn’s “best” friend and she was JoAnn’s grandmother. Whether or not I was her pet, she made me believe I was. And after all, isn’t that all that counts? On to the first grade and Gwenn Udall as my teacher. I guess the memorable thing about first grade was always losing my shoe laces if not my shoes, and never knowing it. I’m sure my mother would have liked to cut off my feet so as not to have to worry about my returning home without my shoe laces or both.

10: Second grade as I recall was a frustrating year. Lorraine Isaacson was my teacher and I guess we had a personality conflict. My mother would send a box of Kleenex to school with me and Lorraine would ration them out to me. Needless to say, I was always in need of another Kleenex. My father attended a parent-teacher conference with Mrs. Isaacson that year. Mrs. Isaacson proceeded to show him how messy my desk was kept, among other complaints she had concerning my behavior. After hearing about all he could stand, he said, “I’ll bet she’s the smartest child in your class”. Mrs. Isaacson not to be outdone replied, “Oh no, there are several children smarter than Janis in the class." Convinced of her prejudice he retorted, “You must have some damn smart kids then!” Third grade seems to have been much more enjoyable. I’m sure part of the improvement was contributory to Mary Ellen Webb, my teacher. She was and always has been a very gentle and kind person. Actually though, my mother was more of a teacher that year than Mrs. Webb. My health had never been the best – being very susceptible to most every bug that came along. Somehow I contracted Whooping cough. (Among other things such as pleurisy) which kept me out of school most of the year. The interesting thing was the improvement in my grades. My mother likes to think it was due to her great teaching abilities, which is probably true, but there is the fact that I didn’t have anyone to visit with and to distract as I did in school. Mom was always there and made my stay at home enjoyable and busy. We worked on Genealogy and she even had me write my life story.

13: I can still remember the special occasion of my baptism. My birthday just happened to fall on Sunday, June 3, 1962. And because Dad was bishop, he arranged for me to be baptized that morning before Sunday School. Dad always had a way of making special moments even more special. I was able to invite my friends and I remember the W.J. Shumways being there. Mark {Shumway} and I had been friends and had fought the battle with Lorraine Isaacson the previous year. Carol Hicks was my fourth grade teacher. Followed by George Reynolds in fifth. The highlight of my fifth grade year was joining the high school band. I started playing the flute and due to the dire need for extra woodwinds, I was able to join their ranks. I don’t think you could have convinced me that there was any age, interest, or maturity difference between myself and any other member of the band, but looking at a picture taken while on tour, I’m sure there isn’t more than 2 to 3 feet difference in height. I also enjoyed playing the piano. Helen Udall was my teacher and I’m sure she had the patience of Job. My favorite pass time was learning Margo’s recital pieces just to know I could out-do her in some area.

14: Much to my disappointment, Darroll Jarvis was my sixth grade teacher. I had decided that Joe Salazar was the one and only teacher that year, but my sorrow was conquered the following year as I had Mr. Salazar in Seventh grade. Grandpa Gibbons suffered a stroke in the winter of 1967. I can remember how terrifying it was seeing him so helpless and frustrated following his stoke. His right side was rendered paralyzed and his speech was greatly impaired. He had a glassy stare, almost wild. Although he lived for five and a half years following his stroke, a part of Grandpa died in 1967. Somehow he just wasn’t an invalid and never did fit into that mold. It seems that one never realizes just what he was until he loses it, and I think in some ways my relationship with Grandpa was this way. Possibly I would have appreciated more the many times we went fishing and camping together, although I don’t know how I could ever have enjoyed our time together more. We would sing songs during our travels and he always had a game to play or story to tell. A few of his favorite saying as I recall were: “Savy the Burro?”, "No sense no feeling”, and “Oh my Gosh”.

17: I was also an avid cowboy. My father saw to that! He managed the church ranch which gave us many opportunities to be together and ride horseback which was one of my childhood loves. I can still remember my favorite horse, Thunder. My “uncle” LaVerl Hall owned the horse and would lend him to us whenever we asked, or as it seemed. I thought he had to be the FASTEST horse ever. I loved going with Dad and thought cowboying was the greatest until he started branding. I thought he was totally insensitive and told him I was sure Heavenly Father wouldn’t be happy with him or his actions. Essentially I guess branding ended my cowboy days. Looking back now, I would give anything to be able to spend more time with my father. Those were special moments and I’m glad I have the reflections that I do have.

18: I did get a lot of practice driving with Dad. I still can’t believe his heart would have endured so much stress and excitement. In eighth grade I took up basketball and was determined to make the team. I know it wasn’t because of my ability but sheer determination and Ted Raban that actualized my goal. I had some great moves, including pinching and biting. What I didn’t have in size I made up for in ways that I could. (Legal or not). Eldon Pulsipher was my teacher and although I appreciate him now, I didn’t then. Ted Raban was the other 8th grade teacher and I was envious of any person in his class. I remember the first time I ever wore makeup was to my 8th grade graduation, which at the time seemed to be the most important day of my life. Daddy Daughter Dates were nights long remembered. I always did think I had the best father. Just to prove my point, I would have Dad play all the games with all the girls just to show them my father could out do their Father. (And he did!) Even though there were only six girls in my primary class, I always wanted to go early so we could get a good seat.

21: 1968 began my high school days. Some of the highlights were: being cheerleader my Freshman and Sophomore year, singing in the choir, playing in the band, being a student body officer (Social Manager), being on the seminary council and participating in a play directed by John Collings “The Curious Savage” playing the Savage herself. In October of my Junior year (1970), Dr. Dysterheft diagnosed a staph infection in my lungs. I was hospitalized for 10 days and spent the following 5 months in bed. During the course of events, several tests and procedures were run to determine the actual damage to my lungs. Later in 1972 I underwent several other tests in the University of Arizona Hospital in Tucson, to determine the cause of my pulmonary problems. The results were non-conclusive. During all these hospital stays and periods of confinements, my dear mother was always by my side. When I think of the figure of a true saint, my mother comes to mind. She has always been so giving and loving, sacrificing all for the sake of her family. I’m sure that these times spent together account for our unique and special relationship. She became my best friend and confidant. This period was probably the major spark in my relationship with Dr. Dysterheft. He was so compassionate and concerned.

22: I spent the summer of 1971 in Chicago with my brother Tim and his family. That was an interesting and fun experience. I met several fantastic people and enjoyed the new environment. President Dallin Oaks, later President of BYU and his family were in our ward. There weren’t many young adults but we enjoyed each other and probably appreciated more the opportunity of being together. During my high school days, Helen joined our family on the Indian Placement program. She is definitely a part of our Family, and our family is more complete with her. In May of 1972 I graduated from High School. On to bigger and better things as I had been accepted at BYU for the fall semester. June 2, 1972 Grandpa died at his home in St. Johns. He had been so miserable for so long that it was really a blessing. In fact, we had prayed that he could go, but we found that we weren’t prepared for his death.

23: St. John's Redskins Class of 1972

25: Fall of 1972 brought College. I was excited and naive. Looking back now I wish I had been more concerned about grades and not so much about having fun. But, needless to say, after glancing at my grades, I did have fun. My roommate was very studious and we got along. I’m sure she got very out of patience with me and my noisy habits and late night activities. My visiting teaching companion and I were always doing the unordinary things such as climbing onto the ledge at May Hall (Even though there was a $50 fine for doing such.) It was my third semester that I decided that I really did want to study Nursing. During the summer of 1973 I worked for Fotomart. This was a fun job that paid very little. But somehow, you live on what you make and spend as much as you make. School didn’t seem to be quite enough so I did volunteer work at the Utah Valley Hospital in the operating room. Somehow I became fairly good friends with Dr. Dick Clark. Even though I was just a volunteer, he allowed me to go into surgery and observe. He wasn’t wild about BYU nursing students so I think out of spite, he would let me get in front of them and would also explain everything to me. Occasionally I would miss my 1:00 Chemistry class so as to see the finishing touches on a particular surgery. To make up for the classes I missed, he would tutor me. I didn’t make an A by any means, but I did get by and the experienced I received was well worth it.

26: Being impatient and probably ready for change, I moved to Torrance, California in January of 1974. Margo and Jim were living there and they thought that the chances of my getting into a 2 year nursing program there were good. Enrolling in school didn’t work out as I couldn’t qualify as a county resident and couldn’t afford the tuition. So to make a long story short, I went to work for the Safety Center at the University of Southern California. Margo worked close by so she made the adjustment easier. Although I didn’t convert any of my associates there, I had many opportunities to share the gospel with them. Jim’s parents, Jim and Nelda Crockett, lived next door to us. They came to be like second parents. Time passed rapidly, and I chose to return to BYU for the Fall of 1974. J.E. was just 1 month old and somehow it was hard to leave California, the place which had been home for 9 months.

27: Prior to my return to BYU I had visited Dr. Dysterheft. He suggested I go to Mayo’s Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota to finally get to the root of my pulmonary problems. So, he made the arrangements and an appointment was scheduled for October. I knew this would be a great expense, but my parents wouldn’t even discuss the possibility of postponing the appointment. I later found out that they had to sell a cabin they owned in Tal Wi-Wi Estates to pay for the examination. I remember we had a layover in Minneapolis/St. Paul, and while waiting we observed a crew working on an airplane which looked like it should have been junked years before. As they called for the boarding of our continuing flight, it was only to our horror to find that we would be traveling on that plane. Mom swore she could actually see thru the floor board of the plane. I must admit it was the shakiest flight I had ever been on. The following 2 weeks consisted of keeping scheduled appointments, shopping, knitting, reading, and the highlight, watching Green Acres on TV. Mom was excellent company, just exactly what I needed as she always kept things in tow and under control. On Wednesday of our final week, I underwent another bronchoscopy. This was done on an out patient basis which was much more relaxed than the one I had had previous. I wasn’t dreading the procedure, I guess I had forgotten just how dreadful it could be. It was rough and I couldn’t believe I found myself walking out of the recovery room just 3-4 hours later, unassisted. In our final consultation with the doctor reported a possible case of Cystic Fibrosis, although all the laboratory reports were not conclusive. So again, nothing definite, just a little more fuel to the fire.

28: Although I still wasn’t feeling chipper, I insisted on returning to school. I never did start feeling much better and called Dr. Dysterheft to see if he could prescribe anything. The medication was ineffective, so I visited him during my Thanksgiving vacation. Much to my surprise, he hospitalized me due to a condition of pneumonia. I must say I felt much better in a matter of a few days after a lot of medication and bed rest. He insisted that I could not return to school. Consequently, Mom and Aunt Jayne drove to Provo, checked me out of school and moved all my things home. Needless to say, I was heartbroken. I had been so content with my situation. For awhile, I was confined to bed, followed by long periods of bed rest. Although I probably should have found St. Johns very dull, somehow there is always something to do to occupy one’s time. I remembered how fun and satisfying our boys choir had been in Torrance and decided to organize one in St. Johns. I called Mothers of every boy between the ages of 8 and 12 that I could think of. After several days I was receiving calls from mothers of boys that I hadn’t contacted.

30: In October I started Cosmetology School at Rose Mar in Mesa Arizona. I had been doing a lot of haircuts and perms during my stay in St. Johns and although I didn’t prefer doing hair to Nursing, I decided I could finish Beauty school in about nine months and be able to help put myself through school. Beauty school was a new and not always enjoyable experience. Again, I was a minority being Mormon. I chose to attend school 6 days per weeks as to speed the process up some. Along with beauty school, I also took a couple of night classes at Mesa community College toward my Nursing degree. In August of 1970 I graduated from Beauty School. It really wasn’t any big ordeal, but it was nice to be out. State boards were the last week of September and I used Mom for my model. It was a day’s worth of hair doing and test taking, but Mom made it pleasurable as we laughed and joked through it all. In October I went to work for the Red Carpet Beauty Salon. I enjoyed working and again made friends with many of my cliental. After another sinus surgery I had a slow recovery but felt that I needed to go back to work. Unbeknownst to me, I had again contracted pneumonia and was again hospitalized when I returned home for Christmas. My recovery was fairly rapid, but Dr. Dysterheft thought the hair sprays and such might be irritating until I had gained back my full strength, so I again enrolled in school full time at Mesa Community College.

31: Beauty Shop

32: In January 1977, my home teacher was Kevin Jones. I wasn’t really too interested in men as my last involvement had proved futile. But, in April, I started dating Kevin. He was without a doubt, the most polite and considerate man I had ever dated He was 23 and hadn’t been on a mission which bothered me, but who was I to judge? Our courtship was fast and exciting. Looking back now, it seems even faster than it did then. We got engaged June 22 and were married July 20. All went well for the first few months, but soon our real colors were surfacing and I found Kevin was a much different person that I had presupposed. So, after 13 months we separated and subsequently filed for divorce. Our divorce was final October 28, 1978. There were some good things that came of our marriage though. The main enlightenment was going through the temple and receiving my endowments, July 9, 1977. This has proved to be an added strength in my life that I can derive nowhere else. It gave me a better understanding of just what my mission here on this earth should be. The peace and calm I can obtain from attending the temple is so uplifting and reassuring.

33: In January 1978, I contracted the Asian flu, and as had seemed a yearly ritual, was again hospitalized. My boss at the time suggested a doctor as I was too weak to travel to Lakeside to see Dr. Dysterheft. I suggested the doctor call Dr. Dysterheft for a consultation concerning preferred drugs and treatment, etc. After a few days, I lost most all of my physical strength and for the first time in my life, feared I was going to die. I wasn’t able to tolerate the medication he was giving me, thus I couldn’t keep anything down. After 8 days, and 12-15 pounds expense, I was discharged and we traveled immediately to Lakeside to see Dr. Dysterheft. He began giving me vitamin injections into the blood stream and within 3 or 4 days I started feeling like I was alive again. It took several months for me to gain back a good portion of my strength. Although this was a terrifying experience, it gave me a greater appreciation for the gift of life. I am so thankful that I was preserved and am able to enjoy the gift of living and serving.

34: Early in June, Bishop Dan Heap called me and offered me a job as a music teacher for the St. Johns Elementary School District. Even though I wasn’t qualified, they would pay me $5 per hour. This was too good to pass up, so I took the job. I had no idea I would enjoy this line of work so much. My first assignment was to teach the first, second, and third grades. This was perfect and was later increased to include the eight grade. This was much more of a challenge but a good experience for me. I received notice of my acceptance into Maricopa Community College’s Nursing Program. I notified the school and made preparations for my move to Phoenix. I must say I had mixed emotions as I had grown to love my jobs (teaching and doing hair). I was very secure in my situation and yet felt there was more to life for me at this time. My parents had been so supportive of me in my decisions and we had grown very close. Even though there seemed I was giving a up a lot, the move brought many new experiences and people into my life which made life more worthwhile.

36: I met a wonderful man named Randy Golding in November of 1979. I was selling tickets for a dance at Arizona State University and I approached him. He said he would only buy a ticket if I would dance with him at the event. I said yes and I must say it was a blast!! I don't know when I've enjoyed myself so. He is a fantastic dancer and his company was superb! Somehow he was what I needed at that point and time. He is handy and can fix most anything. He loves to work in the dirt, he does things for others (especially me), he loves to sing and dance, he laughs at his own jokes, and sometimes his jokes are even funny. One night when kissing me goodnite he said, "This is a great way to say hello and one heck of a way to say goodbye." He is a man of God. His strength lifts me and helps me be a better me. We dated on and off for awhile and one time while working on a project for our church callings Randy dropped a box of staples and he said "oops". We started picking them up and I was reminded of the first time he kissed me and said "oops" and I commented, "If that's the worst you've ever done, you're alright." and as I told him what I was thinking, it "blew him away that they were thinking the same thing." Shortly after he proposed. When he popped the question he said, “I know it’s not much, but if you want it you can have it.” He won my heart and we were married in the Mesa Arizona Temple on December 19, 1980.

38: Anniversary

41: Education was very important to both of us and we received our Bachelor's degrees from Arizona State University in May of 1981. Mine was in Education and Randy's in Chemistry. Randy's pursuit of higher education led to our relocation to Tucson where he earned his PhD in Analytical Chemistry from the University of Arizona in 1987.

42: When Janis and Randy were dating she expressed her strong desire to have children. Because of her health she was counseled to the contrary. Randy said they would have as many as they could afford thinking that the only way was going to be through adoption. Shortly after they married - they found out Janis was pregnant. In March when she was about 3 months pregnant she became really sick and Randy had just been accepted to go to graduate school in Tucson. She was hospitalized at TMC over Memorial Day weekend. The functioning part of Janis' lungs were the bottom half and during her pregnancies she lost much of the functionality of this part of her lungs. Because of this, she didn’t get much sleep and she would often have to lay backwards over a pillow to help stretch out her ribcage to get more out of each breath. Many would comment about how hard this was on her and how it must be horrible to go through it all. Janis never complained but always replied, “It’s worth it to get a baby.” When Janae was born they wheeled the perfect baby off to the nursery and they took Janis from the delivery room to her room. She was sitting up, cross-legged in the middle of the bed, took a big breath, and looked to Randy with a very pleased and surprised realization exclaiming, “I can breathe!” Janis was willing and thought it very possible that she would not only experience the very limited use of her lungs for a few months during pregnancy but thought it was very likely her current state would continue for the remainder of her life. In her eyes - the sacrifice was a small one to make for the children she would get in return. She loved being a mom and was so grateful to have three more beautiful girls - Cheree, Rachelle and Monet.

44: Many Faces

45: of Janis

46: I love children, music, cooking, sewing, sports, serving others, doing hair, and family traditions. My favorite family traditions included Sunday dinner, sharing bits of gratitude on Thanksgiving, and re-enacting the nativity story on Christmas Eve.

48: Family Time

50: Life is precious. I've been blessed with exceptional experiences -- far greater than many associates of mine-- AND MUCH MORE THAN I AM WORTHY OF. I know, without a doubt that the Lord loves me. I in no way feel persecuted. In fact, lately I've been feeling somewhat guilty because my life is so rich and full. I know that God lives & loves each of his children. I know that he continually watches over me. I am thankful for his son Jesus Christ & am determined to strive to develop a personal friendship and ongoing relationship with him. I know life is eternal & that this mortal life has a great and determining purpose in regards to our eternal salvation. I also know we are given weaknesses-- in order to become strengthened. I pray I may endure to the end-- living my life in accordance with the Lord's will. He is just and merciful and I know he will take care of me. These things I bear witness to in the name of Jesus Christ , my savior, Amen. And endure to the end she did.

51: -written in the last few weeks of her life | Things I want to do! Go wedding dress shopping with Monet Hold Rachelle’s baby Cuddle with Randy Spend time with my daughters Thank my son-in-laws Play with my grandchildren Thank influential people in my life Feel the peace of the spirit daily Have Faith Accept the Lord’s will Attend the temple as a family Make Pillow for Laura Make a quilt for each of my family – big dream!

Sizes: mini|medium|large|gargantuan
Default User
  • By: Monet G.
  • Joined: over 6 years ago
  • Published Mixbooks: 1
No contributors

About This Mixbook

  • Title: Janis Hall Golding Book
  • Janis Life Story
  • Tags: None
  • Published: over 5 years ago