FC: Lily's 1st trip to Massachusetts July 3 - 7, 2009
1: We left for Boston, MA out of Charlotte-Douglas airport. We flew US Airways, flight 1770 on a Boeing 737. Our flight departed at 2:45 pm and we arrived at Boston-Logan airport at 5:05 pm. We sat in seats 4A & 4B.
2: Mama packed too much! | Friday July 3, 2009
3: Grampa & Nana were very excited to see Lily!
4: Waiting for the bus to take us to Framingham, to meet Great Grandpa and Grandma Dyment.
5: Our first night in Sudbury. | Daddy playing with Ruby. | Great Grammy & Lily
6: Saturday June 4, 2009 | Breakfast
7: Feeding the ducks!
10: 4th of July Party @ John & Susan's | Nana & Gus | Grampa
11: Cousin Kylie
12: Cousin John
13: Cousin Matthew
14: Cousin Susan
15: Uncle Ron & Grampa
16: Gus begging for food. . .
18: Grampa feeding Lily
19: Nana feeding Lily
20: Lunch @ Clam Box in Ipswich, MA, with great grandpa & grandpa Dyment. | Sunday July 5, 2009
22: Grampa, Daddy & Great Grandpa Fred
23: Feeding the birds
24: After lunch at the Clam Box, we did some sightseeing along the coast. Our first stop was at Pavilion Beach in Ipswich, MA. Pavilion Beach is located where Plum Island Sound opens up into Ipswich Bay. This beach resides inside Great Neck Park. | The town of Ipswich was founded on land that was originally inhabited by Native American tribes, who called the area "Agawam." Agawam was colonized in 1633, when a group led by John Winthrop Jr. established Ipswich, a settlement named for a town in England from which most of the first settlers originated. The small settlement quickly prospered and by 1646 Ipswich had nearly 800 inhabitants. The early residents of Ipswich were farmers, fishermen, shipbuilders, and traders.
25: Approximately one-third of the town's land mass is protected salt marsh and estuaries, which limits development and helps to preserve open space and scenic views. | The town of Ipswich is located in Essex County in northeastern Massachusetts, about 30 miles northeast of Boston. Ipswich is approximately 33 square miles of rolling topography, forests, fields, farmland, marshes, dunes, and beaches. Water is an integral component of the landscape, setting, and history of Ipswich. The Atlantic Ocean defines the town's eastern border and contributes significantly to Ipswich's character and maritime history.
30: Polly Dole House 1687 | Perkins-Hodgkins House c. 1700 | Sightseeing in Ipswich
32: After visiting Ipswich, we headed to Gloucester, which is America's oldest seaport, as well as the home of America's oldest art colony. It is located on Cape Ann and is surrounded by the sea. It is about 40 miles north of Boston. | In 1606, Samuel de Champlain came into our harbor and named it "Le Beau Port" or the beautiful port. A number of years later, in 1614, Captain John Smith traveled from Monhegan Island down the coast, ending his journey at Cape Cod. Before that, while passing the cape of land on which Gloucester is now located, he named it "Tragabigzanda" in honor of a Turkish lady who had befriended him when he was a prisoner in her country. Captain Smith then presented a map of the eastern coast to Prince Charles. He named this cape of land Cape Anne after his mother, Anne of Denmark. The name eventually was changed to Cape "Ann".
33: In 1623, men from Dorchester, England were sent to establish a fishing and trade plantation. That was the first fishing voyage from England to any port in America. In the same year, Edmond, Lord Sheffield, assigned a tract of land called Cape Ann to two men from the Plymouth Colony. They were poor, however, and one traveled back to England for needed help. By the time this gentleman, Edward Winslow, reached England, the Dorchestermen had already arrived. These Dorchestermen established the first permanent settlement of the Massachusetts Bay Colony. The men anchored their ship in the harbor and set up fish stages (fish-drying platforms) on "Fishermens' Field". This area is now known as Stage Fort Park. In 1624, Plymouth Colony expelled Church of England clergyman, John Lyford as well as John Oldham to Nantasket where they joined Roger Conant who previously had left Plymouth. The Dorchester Company asked these three to join them and Lyford and Conant agreed to this. Conant became Governor of the Massachusetts Bay Colony. In 1625, there was a fight over the fishing stages. Plymouth men, led by Miles Standish and Captain William Pierce, tried to take over the stages. Pierce avoided a battle by abandoning the stage and building another. In 1626, the Dorchestermen were recalled to England after three hard, unsuccessful years. Four of the men stayed and were led by Roger Conant to Naumkeag, or what later became Salem and Beverly. There is conflicting information on whether or not others stayed in Gloucester. But by 1642, other settlers had traveled to Gloucester including the Reverend Richard Blynman from Plymouth with several families. Gloucester was incorporated that year and given its name due to the large number of settlers from Gloucester, England. Fish houses, wharves and drying racks were built around the area including ones in Annisquam, Folly Cove, Hodgkins Cove, Plum Cove and in what later became Pigeon Cove and Sandy Bay in Rockport. In the years that followed, other ethnic groups immigrated to Gloucester to fish. Crews of Irish, Portuguese, native born Americans, Nova Scotians, New Foundlanders, Prince Edward Islanders, Italian and various Scandinavian groups fished together and together died at sea. Since records have been kept, over 5,000 Gloucestermen have been lost at sea trying to earn a living and feed the world.
36: After visiting Gloucester, we briefly drove through Rockport, MA. Rockport is located approximately 25 miles northeast of Boston at the tip of the Cape Ann peninsula. It is directly east of Gloucester and is surrounded on three sides by the Atlantic Ocean.
37: Before the coming of the English explorers and colonist, Cape Ann was home to a number of Native American villages, inhabited by members of the Agawam tribe. The area that is now Rockport was simply an uninhabited part of Gloucester for more than 100 years, and was primarily used as a source of timber, especially pine for shipbuilding. The area around Cape Ann was also one of the best fishing grounds in New England; in 1743 a dock was built at Rockport harbor on Sandy Bay and was used for both timber and fishing. By the 19th century, the first granite quarries were developed, and by the 1830s, Rockport granite was being shipped to cities and towns throughout the east coast of the United States. Rockport was set of as a separate town in 1840 as its residents desired a separate enclave with an identity of its own. Although the demand for granite decreased with the increasing use of concrete in construction during the Great Depression, Rockport still thrived as an artists colony. It has been one of the most famous sites on Cape Ann, at first as the subject of hundreds of paintings, then as it became well known, as a site to be photographed and visited by tourists from all over the world.
38: Headed back to Sudbury
40: Lily's first trip to the Emergency Room
42: Monday July 6, 2009
46: Lily meeting her great-great grandmother for the first time!
48: Five Generations!
51: Aunt Carole