Up to 50% Off! Get up to 50% Off + More! Code: JANLUV Ends: 1/21 Details

  1. Help
Up to 50% Off! Get up to 50% Off + More! Code: JANLUV Ends: 1/21 Details

Our Beth

Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.

Our Beth - Page Text Content

S: Our Beth. A Photo Journey with Loving Memories. By her Family

FC: OUR BETH A Photo Journey with Loving Memories By her Family | Beth Ann (Schroder) Meade 1922-2011

1: In The News ... The tomb of Tutankhamen (King Tut) is discovered in Egypt. A 20-ton meteor falls near Blackston, Va., causing a 500 square foot opening in the earth. The Mah-jongg craze sweeps the nation. Annie Oakley smashes 98 out of 100 clay targets. * "Fatty" Arbuckle is acquitted of murder. President Warren Harding dedicates the Lincoln Memorial. The World Court opens at The Hague. Philo T. Farnsworth, a 15-year-old Idaho schoolboy, designs an image dissector system that is later developed into television. | 1922 Was a wonderful year... ...Beth was born! | President: Warren G. Harding Vice-President: Calvin Coolidge Born The Same Year ... Jack Klugman, Actor, April 27th. Judy Garland, Entertainer, June 10th. Pierre Cardin, Fashion Designer, July 2nd. Shelley Winters, Actress, August 18th. Sid Caesar, Comedian, September 8th. Jackie Cooper, Actor, September 15th. Charles Bronson, Actor, November 3rd. Charles Schulz, Cartoonist, November 26th. | The Value Of A Dollar ... Coca-Cola, 5 cents Electric Washing Machine, $105.00 Tinkertoys, 67 cents | New To The Market ... Campbell's Soup Company is established. Thorn McAn shoe store introduces mass-produced shoes. Ship-to-shore radio-telephone communication begins. The first edition of the Reader's Digest hits the stands. British watchmaker John Howard invents the self-winding watch. Station WEAF, NY, broadcasts the first commercially sponsored radio program. | And The Winner Is ... Mary Campbell of Ohio is crowned Miss America. April Showers by AI [olson is the #1 song. The Nobel Prize for Physics is awarded to Bohr for his research into atomic structure. | Now For The Sports ... The oldest American international team golf match, the Walker Cup between the US and Great Britain, is established at National Golf Links of America. Lt. H. Harris becomes the first member of the Caterpillar Club by parachuting from a defective plane during a flight test in Dayton, Ohio. The club is made up of those who have escaped death using a parachute. Washington & Jefferson tie California in a 0-0 Rose Bowl. Morvich wins the Kentucky Derby. Bill Tilden wins his third of seven US Tennis Opens. | For Your Entertainment ... Satchmo joins King Oliver's Band. Charlie Chaplin opens in Pay Day. Three o'Clock In The Morning, Mr. Gallagher and MI: Shean, April Showers and My Man are musical hits. Lillian Gish stars in Orphan's Q/The Stann. In literature: Flaherty's Nanook Q/The North; O'Neill's The First Man and The Hairy Ape; Fitzgerald's The Beautiful and The Damned; e.e. cummings' The Enormous Room; Virginia Woolf's Jacob's Room and Hesse's Siddhartha are published.

2: I, Beth Ann Schroder Meade, was born July 25, 1922 at 1845 Fairfax Avenue, Cincinnati, Ohio. My mother, Rosalia, was age 22 - my father, Joseph, was age 31. Joseph brought to the marriage his daughter, Dolores, age 9. Joe's first wife, Catherine, (Rosalia's sister) died during the Influenza epidemic in the year 1920. One of my earliest memories was going to baseball games with my father. He did love baseball. Dad appeased me with soda pop (as he called it), peanuts and crackerjacks. I was too young to appreciate the ins-and-outs of baseball. Another memory is of Dad sitting me on his large workbench, while he made fixed various items. Often he held up a wood shaving to my face and said, "See I even made you a curl." I suspect now that I was in my Dad's care because my Mother was caring for my baby brother, Jim, or was not feeling well. Childbirth was not kind to her. I was a breach birth and Jim's was difficult too. When I became older, say age 8 or 9, one of my jobs for an allowance of twenty five cents a week was to clean beer bottles (soap and water) for Dad to make his homebrew. This period was during prohibition and many people of German descent made their own homebrew. Neighbors and friends used to gather in our basement to sing and party. They used to call, "Rosie come sing with us - we need you". My Mother had a beautiful singing voice and could harmonize and make everybody sound good. Back to that twenty five cents, I spent ten cents for a movie, five cents for an ice cream cone, and saved ten cents for another day. My Dad worked for the Cincinnati Car Corporation which made street cars. As a little girl I used to announce proudly that my Dad made street cars. When older I learned that he did the iron portion of the street car. He was a wrought-iron worker. I used to delight in making little brother Jim laugh by making funny faces and noises. Silly stuff. Also remember those long walks to school. And my Mother lamenting: "Oh no, not another hole in your shoe!" My skipping everywhere was no help. Our home was at 3919 Catherine Avenue, Norwood, Ohio. Norwood was its own municipality surrounded by Cincinnati. We had a lovely backyard. Dad grew vegetables in the back portion and the front was grass edged by flowers. Petunias, Four-o-clocks, Phlox, Zinnias and a shady bed of Lilies of the Valley. Also, we played on Catherine Avenue which, in my day, had little traffic. We played kick-the-can (a noisy game), hide and go seek, softball; on the sidewalks we played jacks, marbles, jump rope. I can't remember doing much with Dolores. She was older and had her own interests, I suppose. Although, later in life, we had much in common. More on that later. On cold winter days a gang of us kids used to make a slippery slide to slide on. Our method makes me smile as I write this. We each made several trips from the water fountain with mouths full of water. We spat this in a line on the playground. After continuing this practice through many recesses we finally had a slide that we could run to and slide on. Our rewarded fruits! I learned about the Norwood Public Library during released time from Sharpsburg. Our school had no library, so we used the public one. My library card was precious to me. I loved Jack London's stories of action and adventure. I also remember tears coming to my eyes as I read "Black Beauty" told from the viewpoint of the horse. The library was a distance from my house. More shoe leather! At high school I had two special girlfriends. I used to walk to school with Katie Ferris who lived with her grandmother. Her grandmother looked old, but was thoroughly modern in her actions. She smoked and drank beer while listening to Red Barber announcing the Cincinnati Reds moves on the ball field. I found her fascinating and a delight to talk with.

3: On Friday evenings we went roller skating at the Roller dome. We looked forward to this and learned to Schottische and Waltz, and so could do mixers. It was fun. Gertrude Fabe, a Jewish girl in my class, and I became fast friends. She invited me to her home many times. Usually, upon entering her home, I would hear classical music, and her parents would be sitting in the living room listening to opera via the radio. More to Gerty's and my delight we would head for the pantry and indulge ourselves with her Mother's homemade chocolate cake, or dill pickle - or both. I always loved my girl friends' mothers! From my art history friend, Elsie Jane Kilpatrick, I learned of New Thought Temple. This was a church and, to this day, I don't know the denomination. They had a Sunday evening program for the young crowd. A portion of the evening was for dancing to records. I met some nice young men there and dated some after. Programs consisted of various members singing, reading poetry or an essay. Once we had a play which I was in. Our leader, a young and very tall minister was good at getting us to perform and express ourselves. I was getting culture and didn't even know it. Another very pleasant memory is going to Coney Island on the Island Queen, a steam srup with a paddle wheel on the rear. It had a calliope, which, I imagined, was calling me to the ship. Bands played dance music. Once I heard Cab Calloway play on board. Sometimes the ship was more fun than Coney Island. Loved the Island Queen. Our Mother became seriously ill and, later we learned that she had Leukemia. She was in hospital many times. Mother died in a hospital March 8, 1937. We lost our house due to doctor and hospital bins. Dear Dad - he carried on... We found three rooms at 1720 Fairfax Ave. owned by a kindly woman named Mrs. Wilkins, a widow lady. At age 14 I became chief "cook and bottle washer", as the saying goes. I learned to cook, clean house attend to Jim and go to high school. Dolores had married, but many a weekend she visited us and helped me a lot. I attended Withrow High School (another long walk) for a year. Then I learned that Commercial high school offered a course in comptometer, a new office machine that added, subtracted, multiplied and divided. After enrolling at Commercial, I learned that I liked shorthand and typing much more than the comptometer. So it went. After graduation in 1938, jobs were scarce. So I grabbed what there was: a job on the assembly line at Crosley Corp. My job was to check escutcheons on radios to see that face numbers aligned to radio stations. My heart goes out to line workers even today. However, I mentioned to the office that I really wanted office work and, after four months, I "graduated" to the file department. In time, I became a Dictaphone operator and, soon after, a stenographer for Head of Procurement. Then WWII came. My sister's husband joined the Sea-bees. They had no children, and Dolores came home to live Dad, Jim and me. Was a respite for me." Then I took a Federal Civil Service exam, passed, and went to Ordinance office in downtown Cincinnati. Eventually, I transferred to the Ferry Command where I was secretary for Capt. McClure, and met my future husband. This is a good spot to end my story as I do believe that the rest of my story is included in Arland's story.

5: Joseph and Rosalia Schroder, the proud parents of daughter Beth Ann, born on July 25, 1922 | 1922

6: Beth's Teenage Years | 1935-1940 | Left: with brother Jim Right: with brother Jim Right bottom: with father Joseph and sister Dolores

7: Cincinnati, age 16

8: Beth's High School Graduation in 1940

9: Beth with sister Dolores | 1940

10: 1943 | Left and Bottom: Beth with her friends Bee and Becky. Middle: with father Joseph and brother Jim | Cincinatti

11: Beth in College | Top: with college friends | 1944 | Beth with classmates Denie Smallward and Josephine Garrett, Texas State College for Women, Denton, TX

12: During my army days in Cincinnati, after I had dated Beth but before we were engaged, for some time she worked in the same area as I, in the communications office. The captain in charge then invited Beth to go out on a date with him. She declined, stating that she was going steady with me. That she would turn down a date with a good looking captain flattered me. Perhaps she did not like his name. He was Captain Shivelhead. To think that she preferred me, then just a buck private, was indeed wonderful and flattering to me. -Arland | Beth met Arland R. Meade | 1944

13: 1945

14: Beth and Arland's Wedding January 6, 1945 at Love field Army Chapel, Dallas, TX | 1945

15: WEDDING DECISION AND ACTION Many times I have recalled Beth's initiative in the days just before our wedding on January 6, 1945. We had become engaged in Cincinnati, but her initiative made the wedding happen in Dallas, Texas. Her actions were the ultimate flattery to me, and also a credit to her ability to make decisions and to conduct the necessary actions. That I was in the Amy Air Forces, communications, prevented me from going to her, so she decided to come to me. Her father approved our marriage, but stated wisely, “Why don't you wait until after the war”. Instead, she resigned from a good clerical job, packed almost all her wordly possessions in a couple of not very large suitcases, bought RR tickets, and headed for Dallas. Trains were crowded and sometimes she rode miles sitting on a suitcase in the coach aisle. Evidently not all men were chivalrous enough to give up a set for her, although some invited her to get off the train at their stop and visit with them awhile. I was not even able to meet her train, but she managed do get to state officials and to buy a wedding license. We found a resident with a house near the army base named Love Field where we could get a room and some house sharing after we were married. I had made arrangements with my commander and the army chaplain for a wedding in the army chapel. Army buddies arranged a wedding party for us at the noncommissioned officers club a few miles off the base. Thus began the marriage that lasted happily for sixty six years. -Arland

16: OUR TEXAS HONEYMOON | 1945 | Our Texas honeymoon was limited to a four day pass and just a few dollars. We stood beside the highway toward Galveston the morning after our wedding at Love Field, Dallas, and held up our thumbs. Many drivers were ready to help, especially for a guy in a military uniform with a lady companion. That night we sought a room at a motel, and were refused. The establishment had been declared off limits for military personnel. We were not told why. I do not recollect what time we got to Galveston. We saw the sea wall built after a gigantic tidal wave that killed hundreds. Where we slept in Galveston I have no recollection of, but it certainly was no honeymoon hotel. We hitch hiked back to Love Field. Notably, we accepted a ride with two men in a truck. They offered to share their seat with Beth, with me to ride in the back of the roofless stake-body truck, but Beth chose to stay with me on the back of the truck. We did have several bags of onions to snuggle against. Another truck driver bought a meal for us at a roadside restaurant. We returned to the Army base in time. Never again have we seen Galveston. -Arland

17: Wedding Dance | Beth picking mistletoe in Texas

18: 1945 Dallas, TX

20: MARRIAGE RENEWAL At some time during our courtship, I likely said to Beth that all marriages should be for one year unless formally renewed. On January 6, 1946, I was stationed at Sheppard Field, Wichita Falls, TX and Beth was a student at Texas College for Women in Denton, TX. I received a telegram and here is the complete message: “Party here deeply interested in renewing contract. Please grant. Love, Beth.” I surely did; 65 years later we were still married. -Arland | 1946

21: Arland & Beth, father Joseph Schroder, brother Jim & Jeannie | HARDSHIP IN WISCONSIN The memorable year in Wisconsin was, I'm sure, the most difficult year for Beth. Late in the summer of 1946 we traveled from Maine to Madison, WI. for me to attend graduate school at the University of Wisconsin. My army friend Charley Muggers and wife took us to the farm of a relative in the town of Deforest, a dozen or more miles north of Madison. They owned a tiny farm workers house abandoned after a fire scorched the interior. We rented it for a few dollars a month; Charley helped me find a large potbellied stove for the living room, and a few pieces of furniture. He also found a long not driven model A Ford. I bought it, and had a sheet metal roof welded on. Beth was pregnant but insisted that she find a job in Madison. She did a secretarial position with a national battery manufacturer. We commuted together, me to the University and she to the downtown office. Beth managed to prepare meals on the old kitchen range, burning wood I scrounged from an old orchard owned by our landlord. We even held a New Years Eve party for my four classmates studying agricultural journalism. The stove had not functioned well, and likely we had the coldest New Years party in Wisconsin. -Arland

22: When a couple welcomes a first child, the mood is typically one of celebration. The birth of our son Tom involved trauma and near tragedy. A day after the Wisconsin blizzard, rated as the greatest in 70 years, Beth, about seven months pregnant stated that she was in pain. We drove through the snowy streets to the hospital near the University of Wisconsin. After a couple of hours, a doctor told me that she suffered from extremely high blood pressure and a toxemia. A very few days later the doctor said to me “Your wife is critically ill. To save her life we must take the baby by Cesarean section. We think that your wife will live, but the premature baby probably will not.” But both lived and Beth recovered well. Baby Tom, however, weighing 3 pounds 11 ounces – spent weeks in the intensive care unit until we could take him home to our farm tenant shack in Deforest, a dozen miles from Madison. Conditions were poor, but Beth managed wonderfully for the next few months and then we moved to Corvallis, OR for my first employment after graduate school. -Arland | 2.14.1947 Tom was born

23: 1948 | 4 Generations of Additon-Meades farmstead, Auburn, ME | Reading to Tom | Adair Village, Corvallis, OR | HOUSE SHARING Only once was Beth mistress of a house with towing “families”. When we moved to Ft. Wayne in 1948, we had no capital and housing was scarce. We found, how I have no recollection, a widowed lawyer, named Clyde Reed, who lived alone in a good house in a fine residential area of the city. We made a written contract for Beth, Tom, and I to live there in return for a modest monthly payment and Beth’s preparing meals for him and keeping the house in order. Clyde had a son living elsewhere, and when he visited for occasional meals and overnight stay, he was included as a full member of the family of course. This was a happy arrangement for many months. It ended when Clyde announced that he was selling the house and marrying a local widow who chose that they live in her house. So we moved our few belongings in and on the roof of our Croxley car to a rented place in nearby Waynedale., IN. -Arland

24: 1950 | 344 | New Orleans | VACATION IN NEW ORLEANS

25: BETH AND CHURCHES From our wedding to when Tom was about three, churches were neither in Beth's activities nor mine. Then she told me that she thought we should have some church environment for our little lad to grow up in. So for several Sundays she attended churches in Ft. Wayne, while I stayed home with Tom. On return from one service, she abruptly said, “I have joined the Unitarian Church.” No discussion, but she knew that I would consider that an OK choice. So I followed her into membership. The congregation was small, although it had a minister, and met in a modified large house on a major residential street in the southern area of Ft. Wayne. -Arland | 1950 | Charles Kimbal Meade, Arland, Tom and Beth | Highland Lake, Bridgeton, ME | Kaibab National Forest, N. Grand Canyon, AZ

26: 2.29.1952 Charles (Chuck) was born | Pregnancy with Chuck was normal and Beth had no recurrence of the critical illness that accompanied Tom's birth five years earlier. Chuck was born in a hospital in Fort Wayne, IN. We named him Charles in recognition of his grandfather Charles Meade. Giving his middle name Arland seemed logical at the time, but I have since wished we had recognized Beth's side of the family and named him Charles Schroder Meade. Beth gave birth by Cesarean section as doctors presumed that after a woman had one Cesarean section, then all subsequent births must be that way. So Beth had some option on the birth date and she chose February 29. Therefor Chuck is a leap year baby. -Arland

27: 1952 | with Chuck | Auburn, ME | Auburn, ME | HORSE AND GARDEN Home vegetable gardens were not a part of Beth’s urban childhood, or as an adult. We rented a house in Waynedale, near Ft. Wayne for about a year and borrowed a farm horse and plow to prepare a vegetable garden. Beth had never handled a farm horse and I had never held the handles of such a plow. But courageous Beth reigned the horse from horseback. I doubt that she ever knew that an incident might have killed or crippled her husband. The plow blade hit a rock and the handles I was holding flew up and one whizzed past my head with jaw breaking power. I reset the blade in the furrow and we finished the plowing. I don't recall that it was very productive, but Beth had a few garden fresh vegetables for our table. -Arland

28: 1953 | BAGHDAD

29: Beth was heroic in traveling to Baghdad, Iraq, in late 1952. On advice of the U.S. State Department I went to Baghdad alone to find living quarters for the family. After several weeks living with my family in Auburn, she and the boys took a flight from Boston on propeller planes. They overnighted in London and I think in Beirut. She, of course, was exhausted on arrival in Baghdad, and in no mood to be entertained when I met her dressed in Arabic cape and headdress. My attempt at “going native” was not appreciated. I realize how much burden had been put on her. In fact housing was readily available for us to rent, so we could have traveled together when my assignment called for me to leave the states. -Arland | Pool cleaning squad

30: On our way back to the US from Iraq. Left page: top: Naples, near Harbor bottom: Acropolis, Athens Right page: top: Naples bottom: Barcelona | 1953

31: ITALY SPAIN GREECE | The ship from Beirut, Lebanon to Boston, MA in 1953 was named the "Excalibur." It held 100 passengers + freight, and stopped at harbors in Athens, Naples, Marseilles and Barcelona. I took photos of all except Marseilles, where I stayed aboard ship while Beth went ashore with a French woman. -Arland

32: 1954 | Grand Canyon, AZ | Tuscon, AZ with Chuck

33: 1955 | Arizona | Beth with Chuck | Tuscon, AZ | Beth and Chuck at Panamint Valley, West of Death Valley

34: 1956 | Petrified National Forest, AZ

35: 1957 | Visiting sister Dolores, Reno, NV | Beth modeled in cleaning commercial. W. Springfield, MA | West Springfield MA | West Springfield MA

36: 1958 | Skating on a pond in Maine | Trap Rock on Mount Tom, Holyoke, MA | with the Whitings from Church at Mount Tom, Holyoke, MA | West Springfield, MA

37: 1959 | Mom and Lapinski's Farm, West Springfield, MA Mom had the uncanny talent for putting the best food on the table at, usually, the least cost. One of her favorites was Lapinski's Farm, one of the last farmers to personally sell at his farm, produce he had harvested very early that same day. Mom frequented his farm whenever a desired vegetable or fruit was in season. She would arrive home, bags in hand, to reveal what was for dinner. I now appreciate how lucky I was to have such fresh food so expertly and lovingly prepared. Mom, what you did every day to feed the family was rarely commented on, but food was one of the many ways you showed your love for us. -Tom | Wildcat Mt, NH | Visiting Arland's childhood home. Greene, ME

38: 1960 | Cape Cod, MA | Tom, Beth, Chuck With dog Penny. Highland Lake, Bridgton, ME | thanksgiving, Auburn, ME | MOM ON KATAHDIN Mom was amazingly athletic. One family venture was a hike and a climb to the top of Mount Katahdin, Maine's highest mountain. We camped near the ascending trail and slept in a lean-to, crude but comfortable enough. The next day we left late and arrived at the top that afternoon. After enjoying the spectacular views we started on our way back down. This was harder and slower than going up. As our shadows lengthened, Dad told Chuck and me to go on ahead to our camp and they would be along later. We arrived at camp just at nightfall, and proceeded to the nearby ranger station for help. The ranger lit a huge lantern and we went back up the trail. After a long time, we came upon a place where the trail, here only a few irregularly spaced stepping stones, crossed a boggy area. There we found Mom and Dad, very tired and muddy, trying to feel their way across the bog. Mom, after thanking the ranger profusely, noticed that he was packing a pistol, and asked why; were there bears in the area? (There were.) The ranger said he was not worried about the bears, but thought she might have broken a leg, and he'd have to put her out of her misery! She chuckled -Tom

39: 1961 | Harold Meade's Cottages, Highland Lake, Bridgton, ME | Cape Cod, MA | Cape Cod, MA | Chuck, Beth, Arland, Tom Thanksgiving, Coastal Plains, NJ

40: 12.7.1961 Melody was born | We did not plan for another child as Beth approached the age of forty. But her Melody was born, also by Cesarean section per doctor's decision, in a Springfield, MA hospital. She remarked to her doctor that her age was a bit high for child baring. The doctor responded. "If my mother had believed that, I would not exist." The name Melody did not come from long thought. When Beth held her only daughter she exclaimed, "She is my Melody.:" From that happy phrase and expression quickly came the formal name Melody. Beth never again considered that she was too old for our precious Melody. -Arland

41: 1963 | 1962 | Cape Cod, MA | Tom, Joe Schoder, Beth, Chuck

42: 1964 | Cabin of church friend Bertha Burrows, Alum Pond, MA

43: THE MAJOR CHURCH INVOLVEMENT Although Beth and I were active in the Unitarian Universalist Fellowship in Storrs, CT. for all our years there, an activity at the Unitarian Universalist church in Springfield, I think pleased her the most. She was on the search committee for a new minister for this large and historic church. The search included a trek with Mr. and Mrs. Trump in their Volkswagen “bug” to Washington, D.C. to listen to and interview the minister they recommended to the congregation, which then hired him for several years. -Arland | 1965 | Storrs, CT | Cape Cod

44: 1966 | at Cape Cod with Melody | Beth with Louise Additon Meade and Charles Meade, Storrs, CT

45: 1967 | Not held back by pretense or ceremony Mom taught me how to care in subtle ways. In the 60’s kindergarten was split into morning and afternoon sessions during a time when kids had a parent at home. One morning in preparing for my afternoon kindergarten session I asked mom to wear her brightest reddest lipstick to attend my school performance. I saw the hesitation on her face and guessed that this wasn't right, even gaudy, but she wore if for me and I was so proud to show my teacher my mom. I “knew” my mom looked so pretty, she knew she was doing it just for her little girl. -Melody | Storrs, CT | Storrs, CT

46: 1968 | In a time when it may not have been expected of women, mom sought self-education and to grow intellectually, yet she never lost her roots. She told me, “I like ‘workers’. I’m comfortable among them, they are my people.” citing that her dad brewed his own beer and boasted that he built the trolleys of Cincinnati by working in a steel plant. She warned me through example not to be pretentious, telling me that she once was horribly embarrassed whenever her father cooled his tea by pouring it from teacup to saucer and drank it from there. Her sharing this was a brief nugget of wisdom when she told me, “Now that is one of my dearest memories of him.” Without saying it directly she told me not to judge. -Melody | Beth on wall Arland and Tom built. Storrs, CT | Cape Cod

47: 1969 | Melody learns to row, Cape Cod | For all the years our children were primarily living with us, the vacations that Beth could look forward to were Spartan, chiefly camping with minimum equipment. they were wholly child related. However they did include some skiing days in most years. Beth was always on skis with us, although the children developed control on the slopes that neither Beth nor I could match. -Arland | Ski area at Mount Tom, MA | Storrs, CT

48: 1970-1972 | Mom's primary motivation was to help those around her, so time left for her must have seemed like stolen time. I love this picture because it makes me think of those few times when mom did something for herself such as sitting and sipping a cup of coffee with no work in front of her, or putting lemon juice in her hair and sitting on our back deck in Storrs in the summer saying, "This is nature's blond." -Melody | Meade Residence, Storrs, CT

49: 1973 | BETH'S WORK PLACES Always a full-time mother, nevertheless Beth felt that she should be earning dollars when possible. Even before Tom was born she was a clerical worker in Madison when I was in graduate school at the University of Wisconsin. While we lived in Wayndale, Beth became an Avon Lady end devoted some evenings to the rural area while I attended Tom. In Storrs, CT for many years Beth was employed at the University in the Center for Instructional Media and Technology, formerly named the audiovisual department. Frequently she rode a bicycle from home to office. This impressed the others, as Beth was the oldest in the department. She and the department staff became close friends, and she had correspondence with several until her death 23 years later. -Arland | Standing: Susan Arresti, Lois Horvath, Esther Briere, Sophie Trigas Seated: Patti Miller, Beth, Karl Hammarstrom

50: Hawaii Vacation | 1975 | Beth, Arland and Melody | In front of Oleander bush, Popu Shores, Kauai, Hawaii | Kauai, Hawaii | Inside Caldera of Kilauea Volcano, Hawaii | 1975

51: 1976-1977 | Visiting Dolores, Inspiration Lake, NV | Pyramid Lake, NV

52: 1978 | In the late 70’s mom battled Leukemia with grace and quiet. Books on death and dying appeared on our coffee table, but her actions never seemed anything other than steady. I was fifteen-years-old and she quietly went on the business of becoming healthy, not asking for anything special from anyone, which amazes me now. In Storrs we lived in a small town where friendships were built around the University or through children and families. Word was out that mom had Leukemia and one afternoon she received a local phone call soliciting for money for the Leukemia Foundation. Such calls at that time were uncommon. I remember mom saying, “I have the disease; I won't be donating.” Instead she donated to other causes and other needs. Knowing the voice on the other end was likely a local resident shows how mom really wasn't afraid to state her opinion when it mattered. -Melody | at University of Connecticut

53: 1981 | Beth was a guide and docent at Gurleyville Grist Mill, Storrs, CT

54: 1982 | Arland, Jane Peterson, and Beth at Broadwater Beach, Biloxi, MS | Family visits, Storrs, CT. Harold & Ruth Meade, Louise Meade, and Beth.

55: Wedding Dance | 1983 | Green Bay, WI | BETH, SKINNY DIPPING On a vacation week in Maine, we slept in a cabin on a tiny island, owned by my brother Harold, in Highland Lake, Bridgton, ME. We were the only persons staying on it that week. One night Beth speculated on how it would feel to swim in the nude. o she found out, swimming just off the rocky shore. We both thought that it “was the way to go” but we never repeated the adventure. -Arland

56: Alaska Cruise | 1985

57: 1986 | Near Russ Meade's home, MA | Visiting Melody, San Francisco, CA | Arland's retirement dinner

58: 1987 | Jacob Meade, Aunt Beth, Jenny & Noah Smick | Visiting Tom in Los Angeles, CA | Visiting Tom in LA | Feeding birds, Storrs, CT | Tulip Tree, Carter's Grove, VA

59: 1987 | Retirement Party | A year after I retired, Beth decided to also retire from her position in the Center for Instructional Media and Technology, The University of Connecticut. The staff wanted to give a party for her, and asked her if she had any special request. She responded that she would like an old fashioned ice cream social. That was produced. Attendees wore straw hats or other items of a period several generations ago. Some of her co-workers kept in touch with her ever since. -Arland

60: BETH'S FOREIGN TRAVELS Except for the venture in Iraq, Beth had never visited other nations. But in 1988 we visited Melody for a few weeks in Brazil where she was teaching at a private school in Salvador, in Bahia province. Then we traveled by to Manaus on the Amazon, the famous falls close to Argentina, the capital city of Brasilia, and Rio de Janeiro. When Melody was teaching at a private school near Paris, we visited her and Peter. Beth greatly enjoyed the Loire Valley and several chateaux. In Belgium Beth stayed with Melody and Peter at the time Natalia was born. During another visit in Brussels we devoted two days to go with Peter and Melody to Amsterdam. During Melody’s final location abroad, we visited her and children in England. Peter worked in London, and they lived in a small city north of London. -Arland | 1988 | Visiting Melody in Brazil

61: 1989 | Visiting Dolores' grave site, Reno, NV

62: Beth's 78th Birthday at Russ Meade's Cabin | 1990

63: Wedding Melody & Peter To the right: Arland & Beth, Melody & Peter, Vida & Michael Goldstein Below: Mother's love and joy! | 1991

64: 1992 Visiting Portugal and France | with Nilda, Lisbon, Portugal | Portugal | Portugal | Portugal | Portugal | Marais Places de Vosges France | Paris

65: Mom noticed and mentioned the colors in the sky, the crunch of leaves or snow underfoot, a beetle on a grass blade, and described when she was young that her hair was honey colored like a wheat field. She found corners of beauty in unsuspecting places; her clean dresser in Connecticut with her mother's hair brush, comb and mirror placed just so, the corner shade garden with tidy trim, and plants unlike the rest of the garden set to grow abundantly by dad, the freckles on my nose, and the funny laugh of a friend. Personality quirks in others delighted her and she wasn't afraid nor did she withdraw from people who may not find an easy connection in life. Mom had a quiet gift, she noticed where help was needed and offered it. She collected people for Thanksgiving who had nowhere else to go and brought all together in a patchwork of unlikely characters around one table. She laughed easily at the silliest of things, especially human nature. -Melody | Visiting Melody in Paris, France | Monet Garden, Giverny France

66: 1993 | Winter Time Storrs, CT

67: Always, with ONE exception, Beth and I shared all vacations. These were not numerous nor long. The one exception was in 1993. I chose the Universal Esperanto Congress and a related tour of Spain and Portugal. Beth chose a nature tour in Costa Rica with a Connecticut group conducted by a biology professor. These events were very enjoyable ones for both of us. -Arland | Costa Rica | With Melody and Peter, Cape Cod | Mount Laurel Drive Union, CT

68: ELDERHOSTELS I recall the mild excitement in Beth, and in me too, when we poured through the big catalogs from Elderhostels. An advantage of being over 55 years of age is eligibility to attend the 5-day educating programs in many parts of the world. In each of about 15 years we picked a part of the country we would like to visit, and found a program in that area. usually we traveled by air. Programs included lectures, discussions, and sightseeing tours. Perhaps the first in a "hillbilly" college in Mars Hill, NC. Then a campground for handicapped children near Orlando, FL that featured canoing on a river flowing from a huge natural spring. The nearest to home then was one at the re-created mid-nineteenth century at Sturbridge, MA. Other Elderhostels included a theater based one in Oregon, one in Kentucky that included a tour through a Toyota assembly plant, and one in British Columbia at a park near Banff. An unusual long program included a river boat and a steam train near the Pacific Coast. -Arland | At Terri Vlassick, Raleigh, NC

69: 1994 | I am thankful for: ...the mess to clean up after a party because it means I have been surrounded by friends ...the taxes that I pay because it means that I am employed. ...the clothes that fit a little too snug because it means I have enough to eat ...the shadow who watches me work because it means I am out in the sunshine ...the spot I find at the far end of the parking lot because it means I am capable of walking ...all the complaining I hear about our government because it means we have freedom of speech ...that lady behind me in church who sings off key because it means I can hear ...the piles of laundry and ironing because it means my loved ones are nearby ...the lawn that needs mowing, windows that need cleaning and gutters that need fixing because it means I have a home ...my huge heating bill because it means that I am warm ...weariness and aching muscles at the end of the day because it means that I have been productive ...the alarm that goes off in the early morning because it means I am alive. | Mom had this note in her drawer saved. -Melody | at Cypres Gardens, Winter Haven, FL

70: 1995 | 12.12.1995 Natalia was born | Mom stayed in Brussels with us from Dec. 20 through Jan. 11 We didn't have a dryer (of course) and mom did non stop washing of baby things and hanging them on our heaters. Mom said the air was so moist and fresh from the washing drying. When she went back home to dad she said, "There I can't believe it I see the bottom of the hamper, I thought I never would." It was grandma Beth vs the radiators drying the clothes! -Melody | Mom about Natalia: "She will be a delight to all who meet her and will go far with her deep and creative thinking."

71: Arland's 80th Birthday | with brother Jim at Burnet Woods Park | the Meade's Residence, Bartow, FL

72: 1996 | with Natalia in Belgium | Natalia visited Storrs, CT | Proud grandparents. Brussels, Belgium | Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Visited NYC for Ellen Goldstein's wedding

73: 1997 | Russell, Laura, Harold, Aletha, Beth, Joanne, at Uncle Russ' Camp, Kingswood Lake, NH | Dairy Bar at the University of Connecticut. | Cypress Garden, Winter Haven, FL | University of Connecticut horse stables

74: THE APPLE PIE STIMULATION A humorous incident that has been mentioned even years later by Floral Lakes residents happened on a cruise ship in the Caribbean. Four couples of wide age range were on the stage as participants in a game show. The emcee was asking questions of very personal nature, sexy in fact. Starting with the youngest he asked each wife what she did to get their husband in the mood for love making. Two of the wives stated: Get Naked". When Beth was asked, she responded promptly "Bake him an apple pie." This brought down the house, as the saying goes. During the remainder of the cruise people would ask Beth for the recipe for that apple pie. -Arland | CRUISES With retirement and enough income we indulged ourselves in several ocean cruises. Beth delighted in these. Mostly we opted to join other residents of Floral Lakes Retirement Park. Our first cruise was to Bermuda, and Beth's favorite was one through the Panama Canal, up the Pacific Coast to Costa Rica, then back by air back to Tampa. One Caribbean cruise included the island of Dominica, where we struggled up a difficult mountain trail to famous Trafalgar Falls. -Arland | Bermuda Cruise | Round tower house of W.B. Yeats, Ireland

75: 1998 | Bermuda Cruise | Steamboat Springs, WY | Steamboat Springs, WY | Hamilton, Bermuda

76: 1999 | 1.27.1999 Jason was born | Mom about Jason: "He puts his heart, soul, and body in everything he does. He's bound to succeed with a smile." | Beth with Jason at Highlands Lake, Bridgeton, ME | With Jason in Brussels, Belgium

77: 1999 | with Jason, Bridgton, ME | Floral Lakes, FL | On ship Rembrandt, Bahamas (Nassau) | IMC Tour of Mineland, Fort Meade, FL | with Natalia in Brussels, Belgium | Natalia & Grandparents in Portland, ME | Halloween. Harpenden, England | Vacation at Meade Cabins. Bridgton, ME

78: with Natalia at Harpenden, England

79: 2000 | St. Albans, England | Competing at Scrabble. Polk Senior Games | Sunken Gardens, Victoria, BC | Sunken Gardens, Victoria, BC | Christmas in California

80: 2001 | With Jason at the library | St. Thomas | Additon Family Reunion,Additon Farm, Leeds, ME | Sales room of wood turning factory, Kingfield, ME

81: Mom always was a big swimmer and even could turn that into a quiet project as stated on one summer's tee-shirt: “I Swam the English Channel - one lap at a time.” If there was water she was in it, be it ocean, mucky pond, salty or freshwater lakes or pools. She simply loved swimming culminating in dozens of Senior Olympic medals in Florida. -Melody

82: 2002 | Jackson, WY | Grand Tetons, WY | Badlands, SD | George Washington, Casper, WY | Lincoln, Casper, WY | Swimming at Polk Senior Games | John Adams, WY

83: Beth with brother Jim | 2003 | Reading to Jason and Natalia at Floral Lakes, FL | Backyard at Floral Lakes, FL Front: Melody, Beth, Arland, Tom Back: Chuck, Jason, Natalia | With brother Jim | Peter, Beth, Arland, Melody, Jason and Natalia, St. Lucie, FL

84: 2004

85: PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES Beth was always physically active. As a girl she roller skated, and later ice-skated, especially during the years living in Storrs. This was at the University covered rink. In West Springfield skied with the family on various New England slopes.. She walked with nature groups, and just for exercise. Swimming was always her preferred sport. Beth always rode a bicycle if feasible, and this included often biking to her job on the University campus. In retirement years in Florida she added shuffleboard and was among the top bracket in skill. -Arland | Kiplinger Lodge, St. Lucie, FL | At Mayan ruins in Belize | At Edge of Gulf of Mexico at Tulim Mayan Ruins. Nordic Express Cruise

86: In several years of retirement of Florida, one of Beth's more pleasant activities was with the Bartow Garden Club. Beth did not delve deeply into the scientific aspect of growing flowers, but she had a knack for building attractive bouquets from the few species we grew, even including some blooms from weeds for good effect. Outstanding in awards were the entries of amaryllis blooms. -Arland | 2005

87: 2006 | Beth enjoying her round flower garden at Floral Lakes, FL

88: TOP: Beth on her 85th birthday. The not very skillful lettering on the cake suggests that Arland did it. TO THE RIGHT: The Floral Lakes rabbit telling residents that Beth and Arland Meade are celebrating their wedding anniversary that day, January 6, 2007. The rabbit moves perpetually around the retirement park to announce such anniversaries. | 2007

89: 2007 | with Chuck. At Nevis, near St. Kitts | At Nevis, near St. Kitts | At Nevis, near St. Kitts

90: 2008 | In front of the Toyota Prius. Beth's gift to Arland for his 93rd birthday | Playing shuffleboard at Floral Lakes, FL | Enjoying the backyard at Floral Lakes | With Arland, Al and Hilda Fisher

91: 2009 | Winning gold and silver at the Polk Senior Games | Beth, Jason, Natalia, Arland, Melody at Floral Lakes, FL | Beth with brother Jim | With Chuck and Arland at the Additon Family Reunion, Hebron, ME

92: EXCELLING AT “SENIOR OLYMPICS" The Polk County area of Florida operates a senior activity program officially named “Senior Games” but popularly called Senior Olympics. This is the largest operation of its kind in Florida, and is open to anyone from anywhere. The many events span two weeks and include many games in addition to those physical such as scrabble, bridge, and quiz shows. Beth won many medals swimming, “senior smarts,” scrabble, ballroom dancing, and other competitions. Over about 14 years she was awarded gold, silver and bronze. And three times she was awarded a trophy cup as the best woman competitor in her age group. -Arland | Dancing Competition at the Polk Senior Games, February 2010 | 2010

93: 2010 | St. Thomas | Beth reading the newspaper to Arland | Beth & Melody, Floral Lakes, Bartow FL

94: Arland's 95th birthday, October 23, 2010 The last time all of the family was together, Bartow, FL | Master of Ceremony at Arland's 95th Birthday | THE FINAL ATHLETIC EVENT We never looked at Beth as an athlete, but she was competent in several sporting activities through all her years. During the senior years in Florida she swam, walked, danced, and played shuffleboard. For a decade she was on the Floral Lakes team competing with other retirement parks. Often she beat much younger players. This ends on a sad note. On the coldest morning in December 2010. she played 3 shuffleboard games. Four days later, on the day before Christmas, she was admitted into the Bartow Regional Hospital with pneumonia that turned out to be her last illness. -Arland | 2010

95: Beth lived a life of love, work, laughter, dance, swim, flowers, and nature. She said what was on her mind and is remembered for her incredible kindness and deep caring for others. She lived a quiet and elegant life. | Memorial August 13, 2011 at Gracelawn Memorial Park, Auburn, ME. Left to right: Natalia, Arland, Chuck, Tom, and Melody | 2011

96: BETH WAS AN ALL AROUND MOM Whether the occasion called for a mom to help with school homework or to administer a picnic or outing at a state park, Beth never was unavailable to our children. Many times over many years the family drove to some state park in Massachusetts or Connecticut for swimming and other outdoor activities. In retrospect we realize that Beth did more than her share in preparing food etc. for these occasions. I wish that we had been more alert and done more to help. Beth climbed rock slides with the boys on Mt. Tom in Massachusetts, and to the top of Mt. Katahdin in Maine. She helped pitch tents and prepared most of the meals while camping. In several years we rented a tent at Nickerson Sate Park on Cape Cod. There came a year when she announced that she had ”roughed it” enough and would choose trips that included a bed at a hotel. But that was after years of helping he children have their kind of enterprises. . | BETH'S FINAL DAYS We lost Beth to death on February 16, 2011, caused by staphylococcus pneumonia and a blood infection. This was her third bout with pneumonia since we moved to Florida. On the day before Christmas, December 24 2010, Tom and I went with her to the Bartow Regional Hospital. She was immediately admitted to the intensive care unit where she was assigned to a bed and she never walked again. Her lung cavities were completely filled with fluid. Blood tests revealed the pneumonia and the type. Beth did not respond to treatment, and grew rapidly weaker. To help her to breath a ventilator was applied part time and then full time. | M | Memories by Arland

97: She spoke little. After a few days, a trachea was inserted through her neck and she could no longer speak. This was predictably until she regained strength Beth had an advance medical directive document that asked that she never be kept on life support. Of course we assumed this was temporary. The hospital said she could no longer remain there but must be transferred to Kindred Hospital in Tampa for long term care. She was moved there on January 17. She made no signs of recovery, although for a long time the doctors stated that this was possible. After about four weeks the doctors told us that there was absolutely no chance of her recovery. Melody fought with the hospital administration to let Beth come home. The hospital reluctantly agreed, after Melody coordinated a wide range of organization, to allow Beth to be brought home to die under Hospice care. A bed and full life support equipment was installed on our sun porch facing the lake. Beth came home on Monday February 14 . We believe that she knew she was at home. She whispered a few words to Melody. We hired specialized nurses for 24 hours, then a hospice nurse assumed care for her. On the afternoon of February 15, the Hospice doctor removed the life support. She lay quietly until early morning the next day when she drew her last breath. | As Beth had requested in writing a few years ago, her body was cremated and the ashes sealed in a marble urn On August 13 we held a memorial service at Gracelawn Memorial Park in Auburn, Maine. Her burial was then in a long-ago reserved space beside my parents and the place where my ashes will one day be placed Over the seven weeks Beth was in a hospital Melody and Charles (Chuck ) came here several times and spent many hours at her bed side. Tom and I, living here, visited her daily and her brother James Schroder did several times. We were told by doctors that she could hear us speak to her, but except for the first few days she could not speak to us.

98: Mom was amazingly collected in the face of teenage kids' antics. One day in West Sprinfield, MA, I, in my early teens, captured a 4 ft. black racer snake in the woods behind our house. I proceeded to Mom's kitchen to show her my prize. Neither the wriggling snake nor Mom was pleased with this event. Mom calmly said. "that's nice", and with a nod of her head signaled me to take the reptile outside. Cool hand Mom! In High School, I too often devoted so much time to researching and writing reports and such, that I reached the deadline exhausted. Mom would come to my rescue by by typing the final document from my draft. As typing was tedious for me, her selfless help was life-saving. I never thanked her enough. At high school age I could not feel the pain of a mother's worry at teenage antics and adventures. For example, she saw me off for a bicycle tour around New England with my friend Dave Lindorff, and to Arizona for a bike trek from Tuscon to the Grand Canyon and back with family friend Lee MacDonald. Mom would overrule such worries and wish me well. Mom had a great sense of humor. Once I mentioned to a neighborhood boy in West Springfield that my Mom had been a life saver, meaning lifeguard, and his response was, “Yeah, what flavor?” Mom overheard that and it cracked her up. | The same neighbor boy, quite the wise guy, terrorized the neighborhood during several Halloweens with his pumpkin smashing. He would take our carefully carved jack o’ lanterns from our front porch and smash them on the street. One year we were ready for him. I hot-wired a pumpkin from a bedroom wall socket to an igniter I devised from a few strands of steel wool placed in a small mound of gunpowder I’d made in my basement chemistry lab. Mom was all for it and even waited with Chuck and me on the roof over the porch for the kid and his entourage to come by. Just as the kid's hands were about to grab the pumpkin I closed my homemade knife switch made from a coat hanger and WHOOSH, a sudden burst of smoky orange flame. We'd never seen any kids bolt so quickly. No one was hurt. Mom spent a long time on the porch roof trying to stifle her laughter. | M | Memories by Tom

99: I never really thanked Mom enough for her willingness to let me go on adventures at ages probably younger than other mothers would. I would mention to her that I would like to do something, like go on a four day bike trip at age 14 with a couple of friends and she said, OK, why don't you do it. The bike trip was fun, by the way, even though we ended up calling home from Boston to be picked up. Mom was always willing to let us kids try new things or go on various adventures, even though I’m sure she worried sometimes. I believe that the earliest memory I have is when I was about two and one-half, perhaps three, and it was of Mom diving into a swimming pool in Tucson to pull me out from under an older and much larger girl who had panicked when she drifted into the deep end. I had a blow up plastic “water puppy” around my waist and the girl climbed on top of me | Memories by Chuck | pushing me to the bottom. I remember being panicked too, when Mom pulled me up and out of the pool. I’ll always remember that event as a life saver. Mom encouraged me to be an “individual” (although my hair did get too long for her taste). When we moved from West Springfield, MA to Storrs, CT. I mentioned to her that the kids at school seemed different and some not very accepting of me. I was in the 8th grade and I was missing some of my childhood buddies in West Springfield. The new school was more socially advanced than what I was used to. Mom thought she could help me out with some new clothes so she took me to a store and bought me the latest Carnaby Street “mod” pants and shirt. She picked them out and said now the kids will admire your new fashion. Most of the kids never got to see me (probably thankfully) since the pants were so tight that you could count the change in my pocket. Teacher Goyette (the hall cop) stopped me on the way in and said I would have to go home and change. She also commented on why my mother would allow me to wear such disgraceful clothes. Ms. Goyette dismissed my protest that my Mom had bought me the clothes. Thanks Mom for trying. There are too many fond memories to list. I’ll never forget Mom’s encouragement and grace in our lives. Mom’s inquisitive nature never diminished in her life and some of that certainly rubbed off on us kids. Thanks Mom for everything you did. You were generous to all. | Chuck and Beth. Thanksgiving at Connie's.

100: Some people are bigger than life on the stage, but Beth was our stage. She quietly moved the props of life, changed the lighting, fed the players, balanced the checkbook and cleaned our costumes. It was through her work that she interacted with others. What mom thought of we the “actors” was never stated beyond a succinct comment - funny, cutting, wise. Occasionally mom shared what was in the stage room of her thoughts, but generally she shared through actions or few words. Mom was able to say in three sentences what others debated for hours. Mom was truly an independent thinker. She shopped for churches, wishing to belong, but not feeling comfortable “mouthing dogmas without thought” and settled in when she found the Unitarian Universalist Fellowship. She shopped for political parties, becoming discouraged with the Republicans, then Democrats and finally decided to be an Independent. Mom's desire to learn | guided her decisions to explore a wide range of literature, mostly fiction or magazines that lent an education to the reader such as Atlantic Monthly, the Economist and the Christian Science Monitor “because it is good to see what others think.” Over the years mom became widely read, but always had a special fondness for Southern writers such as Faulkner, and she loved her short story collection. On the landing next to our front door in Storrs, Connecticut mom had a stack of pamphlets describing the tenets of the Unitarian Religion. She kept them there ready for our infrequent but predictable visits from Jehovah Witnesses. Mom would open the door to them and gently say, “I’ll read your literature if you read mine.” They never once took her up on it, which showed mom all she needed to know. Happy to exchange, but never foisting ideas on others, mom had an open-minded approach to her beliefs and opinions. Mom liked sharing little things such as pausing to show me how to scrape fork lines into cucumbers before placing them in vinegar, or organizing her dollar bills to all face the same direction in her wallet saying, “I like things organized.” Or taking any flower, leaf, branch or grass and making an elegant simple arrangement placing it on a window sill or the kitchen table, or in going through her scarves and jewelry drawer if ever I said I liked something she would say, “take it, it's yours.” | M | Memories by Melody

101: Mom made statements that showed how we were all meant to get along with each other. She said, “Every man's nightmare is watching a woman rummage for something in her purse.” When getting ready to go on family trips to Maine or Cape Cod everyone would run around taking care of last minute things to pack for camping or to visit the grandparents. Where's mom?” we would ask. We would discover more than once that she was sitting in the car waiting for us to finish running around in circles. Mom was queen of the one liner. One summer in Maine we drove past a deer crossing sign placed right before a taxidermist lodge. Mom quietly said, “You hit em we'll stuff em.” Another time dad was maneuvering our car to park between some pine trees. He said to the passengers that we should each take a corner of the car and help navigate. I said, “Dad, it's only parking a car.” To which mom replied, “No Melody it is the landing of the Apollo.” Her voice was dry, but if someone laughed, and we usually did, she would giggle like a little girl. Mom liked projects, but they always came after work and family responsibilities. She took art classes, made a huge hook rug one winter in our basement, lined the front yard one summer with rows of jarred pickles using a German pickle recipe. In our back | woods we collected ferns and moss and made a terrarium, which lived in our kitchen for years. The terrarium was natural and tidy and small; mom liked that. She wrote journals some years and always read. She made a mean chili and the best German potato salad that anyone ever tasted. She said, “It is so easy, but bacon is messy.” That's mom! She collected teacups and antique bottles with a special eye for patent medicine bottles which she collected with Chuck. She painted and stained furniture and loved antiques, but only owned a few. One special small teacup was given to mom when she had cancer. She was told she would one day drink tea with a granddaughter. That thought carried mom forward. Over thirty years later mom got to serve and drink tea with both Natalia and Jason using that very same teacup. All these ways of appreciating the world settle onto her face when she first held Natalia and then Jason. The warmth in her eyes reached back years to a time when I know she never thought she would be able to experience this. Grandma loved watching them grow. She seemed to know who they were from the first she met them, quickly describing again with one line the very essence of each grandchild. Yes some people are bigger than life on the stage. But mom was the stage letting us all be ourselves quietly setting the scene, but not forcing direction upon us.

102: When I think of some of my fondest memories of Grandma Beth, it is a lot of the small little memories that, at the moment you take for granted. I think about how Grandma would always take me to the Bartow Library and read stories to me in her soothing, comforting voice. I think of the M&Ms she kept in a little jar in her bedroom. I would always sneak in and steal a handful with no one noticing. I think of what a great swimmer Grandma was and how she always surprised me in how well she could swim even at her age. I love to think about making Ice Cream Sundaes with Grandma whenever we visited, she and Natalia would call, “order-up” banging the bowl down on the counter when finished. I loved indulging into our Sundaes, over an always-wonderful conversation. I think of how I loved her cooking and what we called, grandma Beth ham and German kielbasa with sauerkraut, an amazing fish stew, and my discovery of Worcestershire Sauce on a hard-boiled egg. Whenever I get the chance I still enjoy a nice hard- boiled egg with Worcestershire Sauce. At the time I took these wonderful moments for granted, but when I look back on them, I realize they were some of my best memories ever. -Jason | For me, it has always been the small things that I have grown to love and have stuck with me throughout the years. I remember grandma always greeting me with a huge smile on her face and the tightest of hugs. Then there was the carrots in a jam jar with water that she would always give us for the car ride back to my grandparents house. I loved that. When we had eaten all of the carrots, she used to call the remaining water carrot juice and my brother and I would share it, I think. I looked forward to picking oranges with her down the street and she'd always answered my questions if I had any, then we'd make fresh orange juice. I can remember that she had this magic tin box, she used to say it only held candy when it was time for dessert. I was always so amazed when she opened the box and there lay M&Ms. Of course the box was never really empty, but she gave it the wonder that to my seven-year-old self was undeniably magic. Now looking back on it, the memory still has magical quality. What grandma offered my world was magic in itself. -Natalia | M | Memories by grandchildren Natalia and Jason

103: I recall how much Beth loved swimming. When we were in Florida we would spend time at the pool, and Beth would just jump in and start doing her laps with a serene look on her face and a bathing cap on her head. I know this is something she really appreciated about living at Floral Lakes. I also remember her telling Natalia and Jason about the alligators which sometimes came up the bank, which the kids found amazing. One time Natalia was standing out on the dock of the next door neighbors and we saw a gator swimming nearby. It scared the wits out of me! I also recall Beth sharing her love of swimming with Natalia and Jason by giving them medals for swimming feats in the pool. The medals were ones Beth had won at the Senior Olympics. -Peter Goldstein | My Sister Beth It is sad that we humans get caught up in everyday hurries. Not until someone we care about and love passes on do we stop and reflect about that person. This holds true about my sister Beth. Our mother died when Beth was 14. Beth’s world changed immediately. Instead of being a girl of 14 doing things that a 14 year old girl would do, Beth became the chief cook and “house mom”. Now that Beth is gone, I think back to those days of 1937, going to school at Norwood High, shopping on her way home for supper supplies, and fixing supper for Dad and me. Beth and I both did the dishes; then Beth did her homework, and yes, helped me with mine. I look at other 14 year old girls and reflect on what my sister did at that age. Beth was so special: She loved people, gardening, and church. We were raised in a home where “I love you” was just not said. I did say to Beth on her deathbed a prayer and “I love you”. She responded by squeezing my hand and giving me a gentle smile, our way of saying goodbye. Her Big Little Brother, -Jim | Memories by | Peter Goldstein | Jim Schroder | Beth and Peter 1995

104: Once, Aunt Beth spoke to me about how special aunts were. I know that at the time, she was speaking about her own aunt Margie and how special she was to Beth. Beth was very young when her mother died, and for whatever grievances existed between her father and her mother's family, she grew up without the benefit of several aunts on her mother's side, which made aunt Margie even more special. I grew up with lot's of aunts and they were all special in their own ways, but aunt Beth matched my heart. she was reserved, watchful and spoke when she had something to say. so here is my aunt Beth story. We were traveling somewhere, maybe to some store, memory fails me now, but I offered aunt Beth a stick of gum. She refused and stated that she didn't chew gum. In my naiveté, I said, "why not!?" No response from the passenger seat. When I looked over, I knew there would be no answer forthcoming, so I forgot about my question and her non-response. A little later, when my jaws tired, I rolled down the window and thunked (spat) the used gum from my mouth into the passing roadway. From the passenger seat, this very quiet voice said, "That's why." My Aunt Beth, the consummate Lady. You are greatly missed. -Your niece Terri Vlassick | A few times our lives touched. Over all the years of my knowing Beth, it was a level warm sharing experience. The several times that I visited her home in Connecticut were to be looked forward to and enjoyed. But back over the earlier years, and I may misremember the sequence, I recall visiting Fort Wayne, Indiana, where Arland’s only distractions from her were the rabbit cages in the back yard. And then the global education of the greater family when Arland took that job in Baghdad. For a time Beth was left with us at the farm before joining him there. He had counseled me that she liked dancing, and I, merely a tongue-tied teenager, could take her out. Unfortunately, this is something I never dared to do. Then I remember a summer hotel waitress job forced her into the world for a brief time. Patient with all her husband's interesting directions and all her motherhood challenges was my friend and sister-in-law Beth. -Russell Meade We certainly enjoyed Beth and the boys when they stayed at the farm before she could join Arland in Baghdad in 1952. Through the years I have always felt Beth was a real sister rather than just a distant sister-in-law. _Aletha Blackmore | M | Memories by other family members

105: Beth, such a warm and friendly name. It means "house and home". When I think of Beth, I think of how she always welcomed me, along with my daughter Amber, into her home and with open arms. I always felt so comfortable and accepted by my mother-in-law when visiting her in her Connecticut and then Florida home. Beth was a gracious lady with a calm and non-judgmental manner who accepted everyone as they were. You could feel that acceptance when you' d enter her home. Beth made her houses into warm comfortable homes for her family, extended family, and friends. I am so happy to have been part of her extended family. Fond memories of the house of Beth will live on in her children and their children. -Celeste Meade My best memory is the time I came to visit and we had a very lovely dinner. The phone rang and Aunt Beth answered. We had not even finished dinner, but she put the phone down and asked if we would all like to go square dancing. That night is one of the best times I can remember. The spontaneity of the night is what made it so spectacular. But yes, the quiet expressions from which she spoke thousands of words is what I remember best. And through those "words," I knew, not only was she interested in my life, but that she loved me. -Marie Scholl | When dad got married, Mike walked Aunt Beth down the aisle and he told Aunt Beth that he had the best job walking all the beautiful women to their seats. To which Aunt Beth told Mike “You would have made a great politician”. -Vicki Schroder Longanecker I had known Aunt Beth for decades when she and Uncle Arland visited me in Boulder, Colorado in 1998. Hosting Aunt Beth for a few days enriched my memories. One was her being intrigued by our lunching in the Duchanke Teahouse built in Duchanke, Tajikistan, disassembled, and reassembled as a gift to its sister city, Boulder as a gesture of cultural connection. Aunt Beth was thrilled at the mountainsides blanketed in aspen trees in beautiful fall color and wildlife including Elk. As Beth and I hiked up Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park, I was impressed how agile Beth was and willing to climb difficult trails—she being in her mid-seventies. On a visit to Dill Cottage in Maine, Brenda and I treated Aunt Beth and Uncle Arland to their first ever lunch on a pontoon boat—this in Highland Lake on which my father Harold had built cottages decades before. Aunt Beth raved about the experience. -Marcia Meade Troyer

106: “As an member of the UCIMT office staff, Beth always warmly welcomed faculty and visitors who came to use the Center. When I think of Beth I think ‘travel’. She always shared her photos and trip experiences with her friends. I remember being invited to her home in Storrs for delicious lunches and also in Bartow once when I was in that area. She was a friend to the end.” -Etta Bishop I have so many dear and loving memories of our time together at the Media Center. When I began as a student helper at the Media Center, I always felt welcome and appreciated by the staff, of which Beth was an important and wonderful part. Beth was always professional, gracious and personable. Beth also always had a cheerful and optimistic outlook. She listened to my stories with empathy and caring concern. But she could be direct and to the point and funny, when Dr. Zalatimo kept bothering us, and was overwhelming, to put it nicely, and Beth turned around from her typewriter and with a smile, said to him, “Zal, why don’t you go scr. . yourself.” That kept us laughing for years to come. And I remember the wonderful luncheons Beth gave us at her home, where she was always a gracious and relaxed hostess. I loved Beth with all my heart. –Susan Arresti | Beth and I were often in a conversation about food. It was food for the kids attending Sunday School classes and food for Fellowship meetings, as well as for special holiday gatherings. If I had to call Beth to ask for help, she was always quick and willing to say "yes". A most welcome response. We enjoyed each other's company and our friendship. -Dolores T. Hilding Beth Meade was a long-time friend and neighbor of ours. The Meade and Hilding families were both members of the Unitarian Fellowship in Storrs, CT. We were both involved in the planning and construction of the Unitarian Fellowship on Spring Hill Road in Storrs. Beth was a warm friendly, and energetic person. I have warm memories of our planning and social activities with Beth. -Wintrop E. Hilding What a great competitor. The shuffleboard group really needed Beth on their side; she was good. What great games we played. I loved it when she wanted me as her partner. She was a wonderful friend to me and my husband Will. She was a true lady. I loved her and miss her very much. -Alice Slater | M | Memories by friends

107: I met Beth 25 years ago when I came to the University of Connecticut to teach Portuguese. She since shared my happy and trying moments in Connecticut, Florida and Portugal, including the call announcing my father's death. She took me to the airport and paid my ticket back to Portugal for his funeral. Indeed, Beth was my adoptive American Mom. I felt at home with her, like a daughter, and felt the shelter of her love. Besides sharing my mother's birth year, Beth was a real emotional anchor and a lighthouse for me. Losing her came at a fragile moment in my life and it rocked me physically and emotionally. Beth was my mentor to the American way of living. I remember the times she took me to experience Halloween decorations, pumpkin pie, and Memorial Day parades. She, by example, taught me to volunteer for various civic events, and shared swimming, walking, holidays, sightseeing, and the games Scrabble and Shuffleboard. I still display the mementos she brought me from the places she visited in cruises and cultural visits. Her card recognizing my birthday was always the first to arrive. Beth had a remarkable emotional intelligence which she showered over her family, her beloved Arland, and friends privileged enough to have met her. She showed her love in many subtle ways such as when she read the morning news to him after breakfast. | She shared enthusiastically her favorite books with me. She was a wise and sensible woman with a remarkable independence, not very common in her time, and she had a strong, tender, and attractive personality with a feminine little wink of coquetry that she showed by adding her favorite colors and small accessories to her wardrobe to underline her natural beauty. Her memory is my guidance and a light in my path. I am thankful for the lessons of life, the shared moments, and the mutual love with the delicate, tender and exciting personality of our wonderful Mom Beth. May she rest in peace.. -Maria Leonilda (“Nilda”) Araujo When we think of Beth we smile, remembering a pretty curly-haired blond girl, with sparkling eyes to go with her welcoming smile. We also think of the word "content". With her family, her love for Arland, and her friends. Being with her just made you feel better. We remember the fun at a baby shower at our house in West Springfield when she was carrying Melody just before the move to Connecticut. Our lives have been happier because of Beth. -Jeane and Jim Snelgrove

108: There was a group of six ladies who lived close to one another who gathered many times for lunch, love and laughter. The gals were Grace Hopson, Betty Miller, Lila Tulin, Pearl Widmer, Beth Meade and me, Lena Barry. Beth was a good organizer and we enjoyed many fine meals with her. I know that Beth really enjoyed our togetherness and was a wonderful hostess. She always spoke fondly of her children and their accomplishments. _Lena Barry I met Beth Meade when she was already in her 70s. Some say that if you live long enough, your face will betray your personality, and Beth embodied this for me. Before she said a word, you knew she was a dignified, no-nonsense lady. Her eyes bespoke her quick humor, and the set of her mouth told you she knew piffle when she heard it – and she wouldn't stand for it. I knew Beth through the Unitarian Universalist Church, and there – where diversity of opinion is prized and critical thinking demanded – her keen perception and Yankee sensibility commanded much respect. Even more, her long marriage to Arland was a living illustration of love's power to endure through good times and bad, and of how people can retain their individuality while maintaining the strongest of bonds. I will never forget Beth Meade. -Rafaela Ellis | We lived across the Meade's at Meadowood Rd., Storrs, CT. Our families interacted in various ways, especially in the late sixties and the seventies when Melody and my daughter Brooke were children. Memories of Beth include my youngest two children, Brendon and Brian, ages six and eight, were out hiking. She pointed to a certain apple tree and said that if they picked up some apples from under that tree she would bake them an apple pie. Which she did. This was a pretty big deal for those young boys at the time. Another memory is when I got my divorce Beth's only reaction was: "I hope you will be happy". She made no judgment to the right or wrong of it. -Barbara (Boyce) Thornburg Most of my memories have to do with spending time with Melody and her parents. Like the time they took me to Maine for a week. There was a tornado that came through on July 4th and we had to get into a shelter, but after everything blew over we were still able to see the fireworks in town. And the sand castle that Melody and I built down by the lake before the tornado hit was still standing in the aftermath. But in the middle of the lake were a few docks and trees floating. -Brooke-Ellen (Boyce) Downie | M

109: I became acquainted with the Meade family through my past relationship with their son Tom. Beth loved my then young son Jay dearly; she was very gentle with him and so his love for Beth was reciprocal. When Beth babysat Jay, she would put aside the flash cards I left behind; her position was that baby-sitting Jay was supposed to be fun and flash cards were not a part of their relationship. As Jay grew older, Beth would subtly encourage him to read. Never giving up, Beth doubled her efforts and gave Jay subscriptions to National Geographic and MAD magazine which Jay loved to read. It does not take a stretch of the imagination to understand why Jay would soon assume Beth as a grandmother, which she quietly greeted with a smile. Gifts Beth has given me over the years have become treasured memories of her, visible around my home. Beth is a permanent part of our memory, mine and Jay’s. May her soul rest in peace! -Pekah Wallace There was a certain comfort knowing that Beth and Arland were next door. Beth would stroll over and bring plants for my garden. She shared a lot of knowledge about them. I needed that. One of my favorite memories was watching Beth and Arland sitting in their yard swing still in love after all these years. I miss Beth and it was an honor to know her and her | special nature. Having the opportunity to say goodbye to Beth was also an honor. Thank you. This book is a testament to the excellent way Beth raised her family. -Sylvia Raulerson It is indeed an honor for me to share some of my remembrances of Beth Meade, beloved wife of Arland. I'm Bud Gavett, a co-worker under Arland for 23 years in the Department of Agricultural Publications at the University of Connecticut, and a close friend of both for 48 years. Socially, my wife Pat and I enjoyed being in the company of Beth and Arland. It was special whenever we were invited to the Meades’ home for lunch or dinner. Pat and I are grateful for the privilege of knowing Beth and being her friend for almost half a century. -Alexander “Bud” Gavett I met Beth Meade when I relocated from West Virginia to Florida in 2006. She and her husband were my next door neighbors. I had been in my new house about a week when I heard a timid knock at my door. It was Beth with a small dish of chocolate pudding. From that day forward I was enamored of that wonderful woman. In my lifetime I have had a multitude of acquaintances, but rarely have made a true, steadfast friend. It has been an honor and a privilege to refer to Beth Meade as a true friend. -Nedra Childress

110: As a teenager, I spent many nights sleeping over at the Meade's house. Unlike today, when a parent might be absent, due to work, or other reasons, Beth and Arland were always there. They were there to endure long nights of giggling girls, and funny, yet oh so serious attempts at make-up applications, and the dreaded eyebrow tweezing event. Beth agreed with my mother that double sleepovers were a disaster the next day, but frequently gave in. She was a no nonsense mom without being strict. She cracked us up. She could say something to you with complete seriousness and almost a bite. She told it like it was, and I loved it. I can hear her voice in my head. She didn't always say a lot, but she knew what we were up to. She'd squint her eyes and make a "hmpf" sound. One year she took me and Mel to Jamaica for spring break. We promptly burned ourselves so badly that we slept on top of the hotel sheets like delicate pieces of crisp bacon. It was ridiculous.. She had warned us and we didn't listen. As Mel and I got older and had children of our own, I looked forward to her yearly holiday card. Always a picture of Beth and Arland in front of mango tree, or with their grandchildren, and always signed by Beth with a loving comment about Natalia and Jason. Mel and I talked each other through our mother's deaths. It was weighty stuff. It was our moms. While our mothers weren't close in life, they were very similar in death. They both knew it was near, and they were | both very brave. I'm not sure about heaven, but if she can hear this, I want her to know that I don't bite my nails anymore. She'd like that. - Annie Gerson Swanson (Melody's best friend and Beth's "second" daughter. I have received few honors in my lifetime. However, being best man at Arland and Beth’s wedding at an Army chapel in Dallas in 1945 remains a highlight to this day. A bride who hitch-hikes for four days on her honeymoon is certainly made of the right stuff! Hilda (my wife) always looked forward to our visits to the "metropolis" of Bartow. In addition to her great, gracious, smiling, and companionship, Beth insisted on favoring us with a “goodie” farewell package for our journey home. Knowing Beth and Arland for over seventy years has been one of the greatest joys of our lives. We always enjoyed our visits on our way to and from Miami. Then there were other memorable visits, such as when we came to Arland’s retirement in 1986, when we hosted Arland and Beth for their 50th wedding anniversary in 1995, and when their neighbors threw a party for Arland's 90th birthday in 2005. We were truly blessed to have known Beth. She left an indelible mark on us both. -Alvin Fisher | M

111: My family and I know the Meades through the Springfield, MA UU Church. Beth was like a second mother to me. I remember her beautiful, warm smile and welcoming manner with affection and gratitude. She always made me feel welcome in the Meade home. One time, while the Meades were living in West Springfield, across the river from Springfield, where my family lived, I was visiting the Meades for a few days, and I went bicycling with Tom and Chuck (if I recall correctly). While riding down a hill, I collided with a bridge and scraped my knee. Instead of sending me home, Beth took care of me (with the permission of my father, a physician, and mother). I realize now how much trust my parents had for Beth and Arland. It was a sad day for me and the rest of the Whiting family when the Meade family moved to Storrs, Connecticut. I also enjoyed visiting the Meade home in Storrs where Beth invited me to stay overnight after I attended U. Conn. Outing Club square dances. When she gave me her lavender gingham square dance dress, I was thrilled to have it and wear it to square dances. I still treasure this dress, partly because it reminds me of the wonderful, warm, and beautiful, inside and out, woman who gave it to me. -Carolyn Whiting | I first met Beth at the swimming pool at Floral Lakes. I was immediately struck by her grace and gentleness, along with the fact that I could not help but notice her equally graceful swimming style. In those early days we shared quiet and peaceful conversations which were always a delight - a lady of few words, but always measured and thoughtful. As the years passed I got to know her better through my friendship with Tom and also through her association with the Unitarian Church in Lakeland, which she and Arland attended, as did I along with my late partner Cyrilla. Thus came to light our shared, humanitarian views in keeping with the Unitarian ethos. Her quiet, impressive presence is no longer with us, but the perfume of her presence endures. She was one of the loveliest persons I ever met. -Ken Riley | I am thankful for the privilege to create this book about Beth. It gave me great pleasure to learn more about the remarkable woman Beth was. She left so many wonderful memories behind with everyone who crossed her path, including me. The books she choose to share with me were an enrichment to my life, as she was. Beautiful, inside and out. She will never be forgotten. -Toni Weel

Sizes: mini|medium|large|huge
Default User
  • By: Toni W.
  • Joined: almost 7 years ago
  • Published Mixbooks: 3
No contributors

About This Mixbook

  • Title: Our Beth
  • A Photo Journey with Loving Memories. By her Family.
  • Tags: None
  • Published: about 6 years ago