Up to 50% + More! Up to 50% Everything + More! Code: JANFAVS Ends: 1/20 Details

  1. Help
Up to 50% + More! Up to 50% Everything + More! Code: JANFAVS Ends: 1/20 Details

Pat Yeager 1926-1954

Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.

Pat Yeager 1926-1954 - Page Text Content

S: Harvey Lee (Pat) Yeager 1926-1954

BC: Created for Pat's Family with love. Cindy Yeager McGriff Hutchens c September 2011

FC: Harvey Lee (Pat) Yeager 1926-1954

1: Harvey Lee (Pat) Yeager born October 18, 1926 in rural Tennesee between Lawrenceburg and Leoma. I was named after the doctor that delivered me - Leo Harris. There are two versions of how my name ended up Lee instead of Leo. One is that Dr. Harris put Lee on the birth certificate because he didn't want me to have his name. In the other version, my sisters decided they should change my name on the birth certificate to Harvey Lee, which was our father's name. | My brothers and sisters were in the cotton patch picking cotton when I was born. They didn't take me to the field that year - they let me wait until the next year to start picking cotton. Dr. Harris must have been a good friend of Daddy's, because once when we lived in Texas, he came to a medical meeting there and Daddy went and waited on the road a very long time just to meet him and say hello. I think he delivered about half of my brothers and sisters free because Daddy was a preacher.

2: Grandparents Thomas Jefferson Yeager 11/22/1859 - 3/5/1942 Elizabeth Johannah Richards 7/23/1862 - 10/22/1897 | Family originally came from Germany. Tom Yeager hop-scotched his family from Carroll Co., GA to Wood Co., TX and back to Carroll before bringing his family to Cullman Co., later heading north to TN. He was an ambitious and proud man. He was proud of his fine family of children (17 or 18). He left a wave of descendants in his travels, leaving Yeagers in TX, AL and TN, all proud ambitious people. | Some of Tom Yeager's children Ches, Pres, Lee Lola, Lizzie Spurgeon and Troy | Lee left Carroll Co. when he was about 6 years old. He and two or three older brothers went to Texas. Four wagons left GA. Whatever gave my grandparents the idea to go to Texas, I don't know. There must have been a good reason. One wagon had my grandma's sister Aunt Emma (Emmer). She and her husband (Huckabee) settled on a nice farm in Mt. Pleasant Texas. I don't know what happened to the other two wagons. Bad luck happened to my daddy's family. In 1897, my grandma gave birth to a girl and she and the baby died. She and the baby were buried at Rock Hill, Texas. Jay preached there in the 1990s. This was the 9th child for my grandma and she was still in her thirties. My grandpa must have thought it best to go back to GA, so he put the smallest children on a train with one of the older children to look after them, and sent them back to GA. He and the two oldest boys came back in a wagon.

3: Tom was an expert sorghum man and the syrup mill traveled with the family. The Yeager family settled near Fairview, AL. He was a prosperous farmer, a religious man, a sacred harp singer. He had an adventurous spirit, life was never dull on the Yeager trail. Work was a virtue, a slothful attitude was a sin. Tom's brothers may have gone to OK or on to west TX, or maybe on to CA. After getting back to GA, he left again coming to Cullman Co, AL in about 1902. He stayed in Cullman a few years then moved on to N. AL when Lee was about 13 and then into TN where he died about the time of WWII. Grandpa Tom married 4 or 5 times raising about 17 or 18 children all together. Grandpa, after all his hard luck and trying times, remained a very high moral and God-fearing man and would give a good testimony at revival meetings. | House in TN where Lee Yeager's family lived before moving to TX. | When I was young, Uncle Troy lived with us. I don't remember it. His stepmother would hide cornbread for her own children and he couldn't have any, so he came to live with us. Grandpa Yeager visited us once for a day or so in Texas. Daddy's half-brother Spurgeon liked to kid with children. He visited us in TX a short while before my daddy died. He was a short fellow. I was swinging on the gate. I thought I was in real trouble, but Daddy said - We've got a new hired hand. He called himself our half-uncle Billy. He lived in TN. Somebody was taking a trip and he caught a ride. His granddaughter Alice was the ombudsman for the TN government.

4: Ormand Leandrew (Lee) Burch b Sept 30, 1876 Randolph Co. AL d. July 1957 Leoma, TN0 Gallena (Lena) Taylor b. Nov 15. 1877 Morris Jefferson Co. AL d July 1963 Athens, AL | My great grandfather was Matt Taylor born about 1837. He served in the Civil War. He was from the north, but got caught below the Mason-Dixon line. He was a Pony Express rider. He never went back to the north. He raised a big family on the west side of Cullman, AL. He's buried at Shead Cemetery on a hill north of Trimble, AL. He was a mason and civil war veteran and a great man. | My grandparents Burch lived in Trimble, AL when they married (Nov 15, 1896). Myrtie was raised in Anderson, AL.

5: Rev. Harvey Lee Yeager b. May 27, 1891 Carroll Co. Georgia d. January 16, 1934 in Wood Co., Texas | He didn't get married until he was 28. He stayed home with his family in North Alabama and helped farm in Anderson, AL with his brothers, sisters and half brother. He was ordained to preach the gospel in 1923. Before that, he was a farmer, clearing land and working in a syrup mill. | Lee picking oranges in Florida

6: Myrtie Ada Burch b. September 18, 1897 in Lauderdale Co. Alabama d. November 3, 1040 in Cullman Co. Alabama | Myrtie is 2nd from right in back | Last picture of Lee-back row left Christmas 1933 Pastor at Sulfur Bluff | Myrtie was born near Trimble AL, and was raised near Anderson. That's where she and H. L. got married. Lee had just come back from picking oranges in Florida Lits was born in AL, in 1917, during the baby boom after WWI then Bill was born.

7: Brothers and Sisters | Agnes Louise (Lits) 9/1/1917-3/4/1988 Lauderdale Co. AL Wilford Quentin (Bill) 1/24/1919 Lawrence Co. TN Vileta Anise (Bug) 1/11/21-1985 Lawrence Co. TN Larkin Johnson (Jay) 6/86/1922 Lawrence Co. TN Winham Elisha (Pete) 5/7/1924-9/26/2002 Lawrence Co. TN Charles Richard (Chunk) 8/24/1929- 1/22/1999 Hopkins Co. TX | Lee, Myrtie and Lits | House in TN we lived in before we moved to TX

8: 1927 Myrtie, Pat, Bill, Lee, Pete, Bug, Jay, Lits

9: Lits Bill Jay Bug | Myrtie and Chunk | Bill | Lits | Bug | Pat | Chunk

10: My best friends were my brothers. It is still that way today. I always looked up to my sisters for guidance and advice. They had more effect on me than anybody with their lives and their examples. I looked up to them and listened to them. I know I didn't always please them in the things that I did, but I always wanted to please them. | There wasn't a well at our house, but we had a cistern. We caught the water that came off the roof during a rain. The first water we let go, to clean off the roof, then we would collect all of the other rain water. We used the water for cooking. | My parents and both sets of grandparents were Southern Missionary Baptists. We were a religious family. Back in those days, Daddy got paid in syrup, meal and food for preaching. He wasn't an educated preacher; he was self-educated. That was the way most preachers were then. | Once we went to a picnic in Greenville, TX. It was a community picnic. Jay and some other boys got in trouble for throwing biscuits at black children along the streets. He really got in trouble. | We had a program for Mother's Day. We had speeches and poems. We recited poems. Lits and Bug went to "Expression School" in 1933. It was an acting school. Bug learned all kinds of poems and stories to tell with all kinds of expressions. Mrs. Mac was doing a government program. I would go with Bug and they also taught me a ditty. We had to go across the field and woods to Mrs. Mac's. She had 2 daughters, but no husband. | When I was 5 or 6 in TX, our first cousin Cleo came to our house. I went and hid. I was under the house and I could see his pants. He had striped overalls. Another man had told me a week before that he was going to take me away and I thought it was him and hid. I never saw Cleo. His mother, Uncle Winham's wife, Alma, would send us a little package every Christmas. She had a farm and wouldn't sell it because she thought they might strike oil.

11: After I was born, we moved from the rural area between Leoma and Lawrenceburg TN to Rama TN. We lived there until my daddy decided to move us to Texas. We had a sale before we left. We sold all the furniture. Everything except our quilts and clothes. We all got on a train, there were six children, and we went to Sulfur Springs, TX. I faintly remember them getting our trunk off the train; I was about 3 years old. Daddy rented an apartment that was an old warehouse which had been partitioned off into apartments. It was just a big warehouse and they called it the "Tin Building". This is where Daddy got his false teeth. My brother Pete and I were playing in the hallway of the apartment building, when Daddy came home with his new teeth. He stuck his teeth out at Pete and me, being 3 years old, I don't know what I thought about that. Daddy rented a small farm at Yannis, TX south of Sulphur Springs. We lived there a year sharecropping. The landlord furnished the animals, tools and seed and we gave him half of the crop. | From there we moved to the Conley Bowman house near Paint Rock. Conley Bowman had been living there. There was paint on the house and he had good stock to farm with. We still rented on halves. Chunk was born there. We lived there a year. Conley Bowman had a job in Ft. Worth so he rented his house. He left a little cabinet in the house - he gave or sold it to my mother. That was probably 1929 and the only remaining piece of furniture Mama owned. Cindy has the cabinet. From there we moved to the Jenny Place. When we moved there, the only building was the house. That's when we got our own animals and tools and didn't have to share the crop. Daddy brought home a mare (Pearl), a little horse (Bob) and a mule (Kate). We didn't have a barn, so we tied the animals to a post outside. The next morning the ground and the animals were covered with snow. We never broke Kate to ride. Bill tried to break her, but she just would not ride. She was a good work mule, though.

12: From there we moved to the Jim Anouch "Jimmer" place. It was down a lane and the dirt was nothing but sand. It would grow potatoes or peanuts, but not cotton. We would call that home. That was the happiest place we lived. Daddy rented land (black land) on the prairie a few miles away to plant cotton. Roosevelt was elected and the government started subsidizing farming. We plowed up the cotton and got paid for it. Daddy pastored small churches and farmed. We had many good friends in the Paint Rock community. We went to Paint Rock Church. It was next door to Jack Cauthern. Maudina Cauthern Yeager's grandfather. They lived in a shack in our pasture. Daddy was always gone to his churches on Sunday.The houses were a long way apart. There were no cars and the roads were so sandy, a car could hardly drive through them. We walked most everywhere; sometimes, we would take a wagon. Daddy would go to town in a wagon on Saturday to meet his congregation in Sulfur Springs. Then we would drive the wagon back home. The bigger boys did the driving. Then Daddy would catch a ride home on Monday from his church. | Mama quilted a lot, too. We had a box full of quilts. The quilt box was one of the only pieces of furniture we moved with us. The quilts would keep the kids warm. The canned fruit had to be kept in a storm cellar or with the cotton seed to keep them from freezing. The potatoes were kept in a potato hill because there wasn't any place in the house that didn't freeze. The parents would get up and build the fire in the morning and all of the kids would get up in the morning and come running to the fire to warm up when they jumped out of bed. It was a crude way of living. Most of the landlords didn't care about the warmth. | Sulpher Springs TX on front porch Lee, Pauline (cousin), Bug, Pete, Jay, Bill

13: I started to school at Rockdale School. It was close to Sulfur Springs TX. I started when I was 6 and went to first and second grade there. It was a three room school with 1-9 grades; 3 grades to the room. My teacher's name was Miss Young. I went to school there until we moved back to AL | 1st Grade - Texas

15: Daddy bought a car about 2 weeks before he died. He was going to use the car to get to and from his churches and work. He had signed up a lot of people in the neighborhood to work for the WPA on the roads. Pres. Roosevelt's New Deal made this possible. The car would seldom start. We would pull it with the mules and wagons to try to get it started, but it hardly ever ran. He really didn't get much use or enjoyment out of it because it was old and worn out and then he died. He drove it the day he died. That '26 T-Model was the only car he ever owned. They brought him home sitting between 2 men in the car. They sent word ahead. One was a big bald man. Jay and I had the whooping cough. Three men came to tell Mama he was bad sick and they would carry them but they met the car with Daddy in it with the men. Mr. Pickett was a neighbor and insurance salesman. He carried me to get Bug and Bill and Lits with Pete from school. They parked at Paint Rock church next door to school. | Rock Hill Cemetery where Lee is buried | On January 16, 1934, Daddy died which was a bad blow to our family and the sadness went on for years. My mother had real problems, her being about 38 years old with 7 children to raise. | After Daddy died we tried to make one more crop in TX, but we had no rain that year, so all that grew were grass and weeds. It was a poor crop, which only added to our trouble. After Daddy died, Grandpa and Grandma thought it would be better if Mama moved back near them. They lived near Athens, AL. The depression hit them as hard as us, or worse. Grandpa had lost a good farm. We did not own the farm we lived on in Texas, but we did have a good many cattle and work animals - mostly horses which us kids loved. We hated to sell all our stock, but it was necessary. | 3 miles from Sulfur Springs where we lived when Daddy died.

16: Summer after Daddy died in Jan - We all go new hats for funerals Jay, Bug, Pat, Lits, Pete, Myrtie, Bill and Chunk | Mama did want to move our furniture and house things - which was a very good idea, because us kids had to have something to sleep on and a stove to cook on. In order to move the furniture and things we had to hire a truck big enough to put all of our things plus a mama with 7 kids. It was the fall of 1934 when we were getting ready to move back to AL. Clyde Duvall moved us. He had a 1933 Chevy, 1 1/2 ton truck. He had to bring along a man to ride back with him. We called this man Ritchy. He was a big ol' man, and he chewed tobacco and snuff and he had to spit often. We liked him, he reminded us of Pat Buttram, from Gene Autry, but he was a problem. Mr. Richey took the best spot on the back of the truck, right in front of the only peep hole and with his spitting all the time, a kid couldn't see out without getting spit on. So we did very little sight-seeing on the trip. | 1934 - year Daddy died. Middle of depression Jimmer, TX l-r Chunk, Pat, Pete, Jay, Bill horse - Bob. Wagon was made from only car Lee had. Model T for $20. Bill and his father-in-law made the wagon using the rubber tires.

17: We had two 55 gallon drums of gas which was dangerous and all of our furniture on the truck with a tarp. over it leaving one little hole to crowd in and out of the truck. It was a little like being in a covered wagon. Us kids were riding on top of the furniture. We were lucky if we found a soft place on the furniture to sleep.The last night in Texas, all of our loved ones met at Uncle Jack Cauthern's to see us off which was a very sad deal for everyone because we had many friends there. They were as close to us as family. We waited until midnight to leave. I remember Lits and Bug cried almost all of the way to AL. They were teenagers and it was very sad. Lits was about 17 and Chunk (the youngest) was about 5 years old. The trip was 750 miles. We stopped for one night in Arkansas. It was a cold night. We stopped along the way for picnic lunches - good food fixed for us by our friends in TX. | While we were crossing the Mississippi River in Memphis, Mr. Richey said he saw a catfish as big as him. We had to take his word for it because we couldn't see out! | We landed at Athens AL on about the second day of riding. Grandpa had rented us a farm of about 20 acres and a shack with 3 rooms and a hall The house was pretty wide open. It had weatherboard, but was not sealed inside but we did have a roof over our heads and a garden. There was no well and we had to carry water from a spring down in the pasture. The water ran out of the spring into a branch, but I guess about as much water ran out of the branch into the spring. Anyway we called it a spring. Some of the kids slept in the hall. We didn't have any living room furniture, so the front room was the fireplace room. It had some straight chairs. The kids would sit on the floor. The parents slept in the fireplace room and there were 2 big beds in the bedrooms with 3 kids/bed. All the boys shared a room, and the girls shared a room. The beds were usually made of straw. We put the straw in a tick in the fall. Mama made sheets out of fertilizer sacks. The farm land was very poor. It was washed away so bad that you could not drive a wagon over it. We didn't have a wagon anyway.

18: I guess we got on Grandma and Grandpa's nerves. Lester was still home and we loved them all. Grandpa rented a farm next to us. We had to get some mules and farm tools. Grandpa helped us a lot. I guess we were hard to put up with. During the depression, it was poor. Since I was near the baby, I got petted a lot. We were a very close family. Once when we lived in Athens, Jay and Bill got jobs splitting wood. They worked all day for a half bushel of meal. The man ran the wood yard and grist mill. Every person had chores - gather kindling and wood, (stove and fire), milk the cow, feed the hogs, mules and chickens and gather eggs. We swapped jobs occasionally. Jay was best at milking; Mama would milk while we worked in the field. I didn't mind any of the chores. I felt like it was the thing you were supposed to do. The chores always had to be done before dark. | We didn't play a lot of sports. We would wrap up a sack to make a football. We had a wagon we made out of wood and would coast down the hill. Sometimes all the kids gathered at our pasture and played baseball. We would dam up the branch sometimes and make a swimming pool. We lived in a school house when I was 10. | In the afternoon, we would sometimes play games. TIC TAC TOE, marked and numbered cards - we usually got in a "rippit" playing the card game. We had kerosene lighting. After Jay got a job with NYA at school, he bought us a radio and we listened to the Grand Ol' Opry, Little Orphan Annie, I love Mystery with Jack, Doc and Reggie in China. We loved that radio program.

19: Bill got a job for 75 cents/day at a creamery in Athens. Laurence Kaufman owned it. Back then they put milk on the side of the road in milk cans. They would pick it up and take it to creamery to make cheese and butter. They would strain it. Our cow got sick and died and we borrowed a cow from Uncle Lester. I got the cow tangled up in a rope and she drowned. We lived off the cows and chickens and the garden. That was our income. It wasn't long before our mama died. She got sick at her stomach and took baking soda for about a year before we found out she had cancer. She walked over to Mr. Taylor's to go to the doctor. She came walking home and Dr. Dodson had diagnosed her with cancer. She sat on the porch and told us. He recommended she go to Birmingham for surgery at Highland Baptist. | It cost $400. It was in the fall and we already owed for fertilizer and couldn't borrow more, but a man that ran the gin at Fairview let us have the money. He was an old bachelor who owned the gin but lived somewhere else. He only came during ginning season. He slept on the burlap they bagged cotton in. He gave Jay a job to help pay the money back. Jay worked there about 3 years. Nobody else would have loaned us the money. They operated - we were all down at the hospital. They came out and told us she was alright, but really she wasn't. They just stitched her back up. She was 42. | Myrtie with Gail

20: We sang wile we worked. We didn't have a radio for a long time. Church hymns were the main music and for the kids, country music by Bill Monroe and Roy Acuff. Uncle Lester got the Saturday Evening Post and Grandpa got the Birmingham Herald when we lived in Athens. We could read the funny papers when he was through. There were record players at school and we'd march around the room when it was bad weather outside. It was really something to have record players. We sold the GRIT newspaper. It had a magazine section with stories in it. Someone stole our shot-gun during the depression. We probably didn't have any shells - we weren't big hunters. | Louise - An educator her whole life | In Athens Lits started a subscription school when the state closed the schools for 6 mo. We got a three room school house. One room was 1-6 grade. She worked there 3 months. I went to Oakdale until 4th grade. We didn't have a church in walking distance, so Lits started a non-denominational Sunday School in Oakdale School. She got literature from a non-denominational Sunday School. | After both my parents were gone, they tried to put all of the children in an orphanage, but my brothers and sisters stuck together and sort of raised each other after that. My oldest sister and brother took the biggest share and made sure that the family had enough to eat and a place to live. Of course, we all had to pitch in and pull our load.

21: Bill finally got disgusted with our/his situation and quit. He did this more than once, but the last time he did it, he was sixteen. He unhooked the mule he was using to plow and let it run off. Then he walked to Huntsville to join the Navy. | Pat making horse paw

22: Jay, Pete, Pat, Chunk when Myrtie died | Lits, Bill, Bug, Jay, Pete, Pat and Chunk Just after WWII. Euel Haynes bought the house when they came back from Childersburg where he and Lits worked in the powder plant. | Childersburg | Pete, Bug, Gail, Pat, Jay, Chunk and Lits

23: I went to Fairview School in Cullman Co. in 4th grade; I was ten, until 11th grade. In Texas, we walked to school. In Athens, we walked. On bad days, we would ride a mule. I remember riding behind my older brother, Bill through the ice and snow. At Fairview, we rode a 1936 Ford bus. Then when we moved less than 2 miles to school, we had to walk. We lived too close to ride the bus. There were about 25-30 kids in each class at Fairview. I hated that school because it was so big. I was used to a much smaller group with more ages in each class. The schoolteachers would read stories at school, but at home we didn't have books to read. There waa finally a library at Fairview. Geography and history were my favorite subjects. We didn't usually get to start school until the crops were in, so we were always behind. Not getting in on the ground floor of the school year, it was always difficult to keep up. We always got a late start. I did enjoy school when I was young, however. I also always had a self-esteem problem. I was always very self-conscious. I never felt like I amounted to much. | I finally lost interest in school. With the war going on, kids my age were joining the services. As I got closer to 18, I knew that I would be drafted, so I left school and went to work at a powder plant in Childersburg, AL. I was too young to get a job in the plant, so I worked in the cafeteria, servicing Coca-Cola machines and hauling food from one cafeteria to another. Dupont DeMeers ran the plant. I also worked in a gas station and I worked picking apples in Ohio. Later I got a job as a nitrater operator spinning acid out of wood pulp to make the first stage of powder. I worked there until I was 18 and the draft board sent me a notice and the man at the powder plant said he could get me deferred since I was doing essential war work. I decided against it and in January 1945 I was drafted into the Navy. That was the year I would have graduated from high school. The war was over in August 1945.

24: We moved around so much when I was young, that there wasn't much time for making long term career planning. If we could just make it on our own, we were successful. As far as planning a future, I never thought about it until I was in the Navy and I decided I could be a barber. Back in those days, anyone with a high school or college education was considered rich to us. We never thought about achieving anything like that. Louise thought about it, however. She got a grant or scholarship for her high school grades. It was about $60. She came home crying. I couldn't understand why she was crying, but it was because she didn't have any money to go with it. Later, she got a job working in a mill and going to college at the same time. She went on to get her Master's degree in education and taught school all over the world. She taught handicapped children in Ventura Co. California and taught nearly 30 years in San Diego. My parents would have been very proud of her.

25: REFLECTIONS My Brother Pat copyright 1983 Vileta Haynes They sent us to pick cotton in the church cotton patch on the day he was born. It was warm for October and the heat is about all I remember. I knew we were a little out of pocket, picking cotton without Daddy. We were under the watchful eye of Uncle Chess. We had not had a baby at our house for a couple of years and we were especially attentive. He was the baby for three years, which was a Big Baby in those days for us. It was no wonder he became Little Sweetie to us. Pat was always mischievous, unassuming and sort of a knot of a boy. He was little, but strong. In order to prove his strength, he would hit the wall with his bare fist to prove his toughness. He was my best helper after Mama died. The other boys knew he would do the chores, so they let him. | Buddy Pat with Gail | Pat, Gail, Pete Christy

26: A neighbor liked to tell the story of how he loaded a wagon bed alone on a two horse wagon when he was about ten. He did not find things he would not tackle. Pat went away to war when he was just a lad. He served as barber on the Big Jersey unless he was needed top side to man the big guns. He went many places and had many experiences. He went to Korea three times. They would pound the coastlines for days with the big guns. The homeless and the orphan children of Korea disturbed him. He sent many pictures home of their plight. Our servicemen always showed compassion for the less fortunate. His state-side duty required lots of money. He liked to have a good time. He has remained attentive through the years. He calls often, maybe because he was older when he married. He has three wonderful children all in schools of higher learning. His grandchildren moved away to Arizona. It was a sad day. I am sure he parks his automobile in that direction every night. He has always been a tinkerer, a make-do kind of a feller. He loves to tinker with cars. | He is not the finest farmer in the world but manages to have peanuts, popcorn, potatoes and a freezer full of food. His wife is an R.N., but he claims to be his own doctor unless someone gets really sick. He is still a dried-up knot of a feller. Drinks black coffee where ever he can find a cup. He is a republican from his thinning hair down to his untied shoes. He thinks Mr. Reagan is on the right course and is willing to make a few sacrifices to keep the course. He has been out of work his share during the recession. It is pretty great to encounter an optimist in times like these. He is the one who went in the pig business, but soon got tired of the pigs begging for food every payday.

27: Pat is a very humorous feller. He should have been in the movies. He and our brother Pete went to California to seek their fortune after the war. They had a "rippit", his words, and one came back on the bus while the other came in the car. They both arrived home about the same time, both broke and both hungry. | He remembers some funny things I don't remember--these stories make good conversation on special days. He keeps telling me we are all getting older and we act like old folks and we must be tolerant of one another. I keep telling him some of these folks acted like this when they were young. The Waltons had nothing on us. One of his favorite stories is "Go get your mammy". It seems Pete had been sent for a cabbage head for dinner. He goes down the row hitting every cabbage with Mama's big butcher knife, and the cabbage just popped open. When Grandma discovered the calamity she said, "Go get your mammy. Pete has ruined every cabbage head me and your mammy had." I don't remember any punishment. We were too busy krauting cabbage. Pat went and got his mammy. I can't possibly do my brother Pat justice in one column. I will have to get back to you with the syrup mill story. Printed in Cullman Times 1983 | Pat and Pete - headed for California

28: Lil' Sweetie When Pat was very young, maybe 4 or 5, Jay was babysitting Pat while the others were picking cotton. He heard a noise and got scared. He went running to get help screaming, "Something's after Lil' Sweetie!" Maybe Jay was afraid something was after Jay and he used "Lil Sweetie" to get help.

29: January, 1945 right out of Boot Camp Seaman 2nd Class | friend Virginia Hyatt 1945 | Deep sea fishing - Key West

30: Boca Chico Ship Service | Key West Florida

31: MIAMI | Quinn, another barber, and Pat | Carpenter and me | Richard Sizemore from Cullman

32: Bruer and I in Miami, Fla | Swearinger, Webb and I | Cortis, me, Swearinger, and Young | me and Swearinger

33: Swearinger, Young and me | Southernmost house in U.S.A. Key West, Florida

34: me and Virginia Hyatt | Stan me Gail and Christy | Bill, Jay, Pete, me and Chunk | Sailors | Swabbing the decks on leave Bill, Jay, Pat and Pete

36: Rose Marie and Mitzi Malone dancers I met in Miami

37: Pat, Chunk, Pete | Pat and Lynn | Pat sitting on back porch with Stan at Jay's house in Birmingham

39: France 1952 | Cherburg, France | Queen Mary

40: U.S.S. New Jersey 1952-1953 Including Korea and Japan | me and Red Catrell | 40 mm gun tub on New Jersey

41: Murray the cook | Barbershop on New Jersey Pat - in charge of shop 2nd Class Petty Officer Caldwell, Skaggs Crabtree Had one more chair in officer's area | That tall, skinny barber with the mustache has come top-side for a smoke and some air

42: Japenese School kids enjoy New Jersey's ice cream at open house.

43: Punsun Korea April 1953 | Manning the rail for Sigman Ree and his wife Sima Ree Adm. Clark

44: Red Cotrell | Crabree - another barber | Chief Kennedy Tooth Fixer | Little Korean kids Apri 1953 | Nakasaki Japan May 53

45: Harris | U.SS Missouri | Japan aboard New Jersey | Richie | Pusan Korea

46: Betty | Hawaiin girl | Tinako Japanese girl

48: U.S.S. Hollister 1954 Japan and Korea

53: Starting out after the Navy

Sizes: mini|medium|large|super size
Default User
  • By: Cindy H.
  • Joined: over 10 years ago
  • Published Mixbooks: 8
No contributors

About This Mixbook

  • Title: Pat Yeager 1926-1954
  • Chronicles the life of Harvey Lee (Pat) Yeager until he left the NAVY
  • Tags: None
  • Published: about 8 years ago