Christmas Standard Delivery Deadline 12/18
: :
Get up to 50% Off! Code: MXSHIP Ends: 12/12 Details
Apply
  1. Help

The Anderson Farris Family

Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.

The Anderson Farris Family - Page Text Content

S: The Anderson Farris Family Story

BC: Flower photo by SR Photography

FC: Our Family's History | The Anderson Farris Family Story

1: This is the story of the joining of the Anderson and Farris families. You will find pictures from the Farris side as there aren't any known pictures of Guy Anderson's parents. There are genealogy charts in the back along with other historical information on various ancestors in our family line. I hope you enjoy learning where our family comes from as much as I have. I apologize for any errors or omissions.

2: Gideon and Eliza Ann Farris 1892

3: 1892: Back row: Frank Farris, Carrie (2nd wife of WA), William Alexander, WA's daughter Lennie Effie Front row: Gideon Farris, Lucy and George (WA & Carrie's children), Eliza Farris, Martha Farris with Luella and Perry

4: Our most treasured family heirlooms are our sweet family memories. | 1903 - Frank and Martha Farris with LueEllen, Sylvia, Perry, Merrle and Fred

5: Family Reunion in Wyoming -early 1900s

6: Mary Schooling Thomas fFisher | Merle and Martha Thomas Farris

7: Frank and Martha Farris and family

8: Top: Perry, LueElla, Fred, Sylvia Farris (c. 1900) Bottom: Sylvia, Fred and Merle Farris (1903) | 1903: Sylvia, Fred and Merle

9: Top: Gideon Farris (early 1900s) Bottom: Frank and William Farris (1903)

10: Perry Farris - he played all these instruments | Sylvia Farris

11: LueElla Farris | Merle Farris

12: c 1928

13: Where is Virgil? | 1944: Virgil & Laurena | Billy, Leona, Geni | Geni, Billy, Leona Laurena, Virgil | Billy Anderson c1943

14: Marvin and Geni Stoaks, Ron, Cindy

15: Bob and Leona Gourd, Shirley, Barbara

16: When you look at your life, the greatest happinesses are family happinesses. ~Joyce Brothers | Bill, Margaret, Debbie(baby), Sue, Ron, Stan

17: Leonard, Laurena, Christina, Craig

18: Aug 1963 | Merle Hayes - 1955

20: 1986 | Bill and Geni Robertson | Bob and Leona Gourd | Virgil and Sylvia Anderson | Leonard and Laurena Herzberg | Forth of July Corning, IA

21: Virgil Dean Anderson

22: The Many Faces Looks of Virgil

23: U.S. Army - Germany

24: Then . . . and . . . Now | 1958 | 1960 | 2011

25: 1972 | 1978 | 1982

26: Great Grandparents | Grandparents | Parents

27: Great Grandparents | Parents | Grandparents

28: 1991 | 1981 | 1994 | 2007

29: Many of the Farris family are buried here at the Forest Hill Cemetery, Mt. Etna, Iowa.

30: Joseph Schooling Buried Laawrence Co., MO | Lewis Thomas Buried in Iowa | Catharine Harader Thomas Buried - Mt. Etna, IA | Susannah Schoooling Buried - Mt. Etna, IA

31: Great Grandparents | Parents | Grandparents | Robert Schooling Buried - Mt. Etna, IA | Richard Farris Buried - Mt. Etna, IA | Eliza Ann Carn Farris Buried - Mt. Etna, IA | f | Frank and Margtha Farris Buried - Mt. Etna, IA

32: Merle Hayes Buried Laawrence Co., MO | Great Grandparents | Parents | Grandparents | Mary Schooling Thomas Fisher Buried - Mt. Etna, IA | LueElla Farris Scott Buried - Mt. Etna, IA | Fred Faris Buried - Mt. Etna, IA | f | Cylvia Farris Bickford Buried - Mt. Etna, IA

33: Great Grandparents | Parents | Grandparents | f

35: Shake your family tree and watch the nuts fall out! How can ONE ancestor cause so much trouble? Isn't Genealogy Fun? The answer to one problem leads to two more. A family tree can wither if no one tends to its roots. After 30 days, unclaimed ancestors will be adopted. Genealogists are Time Unravelers. Genealogy - tracing yourself back to better people. Only a Genealogist regards a step backwards as Progress. Many a Family Tree needs pruning. SHH!! Be very, very quiet, I'm hunting forebears. Genealogists live life in the Past Lane. Cousins marrying cousins : Very Tangled Roots. Genealogy - Chasing your own tale! Genealogy is not fatal - but it is a grave disease. Old Genealogists never die - they just lose their census. SOOOOO Many Ancestors - So little time!

36: Lawson Gray;s Civil War registration - third name down the list

37: Guy Anderson's WWI Draft Registration Card

39: Our Anderson Ancestors Guy Anderson worked at the creamery in Adams Co, Iowa in the early 1930s. Later after moving to Rocky Ford, CO, he worked at a laundry service. Martin Anderson immigrated to the United States in April 1868, with his wife, Johanna, receiving their naturalization papers on 18 Dec 1873 in Warren Co, IL. John Dennis was born on March 1, 1793 in Hancock, New Hampshire. Before he was to marry, he was a mariner. On one of his travels he went to China and brought home some silk to his bride-to-be. It was golden brown and had the tiniest stitches. He married Nancy Hunt (daughter of Deacon Timothy Hunt and Nancy Wade) on March 11, 1817. Nancy was directly related to two of the parties aboard the Mayflower when it arrived in America in 1620, William Mullins and his daughter, Priscilla Mullins along with John Alden who married Priscilla. Also through Nancy we are related to the second President of the United States, John Adams and his son who became the sixth President of the United States. So we had two very famous cousins and it leads us up through the Adams lineage Deacon Timothy Hunt came to town of Peterborough, Hillsborough county, NH, with his father’s family when he was about seventeen or eighteen years old. By the early death of his father the principal support of the family devolved on him and his elder brother at an early age. He first erected a saw and grist mill near his residence, and carried it on many years. He was a deacon in the Presbyterian church in town.

41: Little is known about the origins of Thomas Dennis. Based upon his age at death (tombstone) he was born in 1638, although some evidence indicates that he was born in 1628 or 1630. He lived in Portsmouth prior to moving to Ipswich in 1667/68, and served as constable in 1665. He bought land of William Searles in Ipswich in 1663, and was constable and collector there in 1685-92. He became a partner with Searles as a joiner (furniture maker). Thomas served in King Philip’s War in 1676. Furniture and other items made by Dennis and Searle are available in several museums. The Wilcomb Family The early spelling of Wilcomb was "Wicom." The family emigrated from England and settled on Star Island, among the Isles of Shoals, the first part of the seventeenth century. As NHrecords, early members of the family were there in 1666. Professor Charles P. Wilcomb found there in the ancient graveyard, on a piece of stone, part of the name "Wilkom." This yard is thought to be the oldest in America. Richard Willcomb lived in Ipswich and during his residence there, the most noteworthy happening was the religious awakening resulting from the preaching of Rev. George Whitefield in 1740 when a hundred people were added to the church during the winter of 1741-2. Of Richard’s children, Martha (Mary) was married to John Dennis, Jr., a son of John and Lydia Dennis. He graduated from Harvard College in 1730. He was the chaplain at Fort St. George and at Fort Frederick. He was often employed to preach in the several parishes of Ipswich.

43: John Ffrie is said to have been born in Basing, England, in April, 1601 although there is no record of any ffrie family being known there. All ancient records were burned in the destruction of the town in 1645 by Cromwell. John, with wife Ann and three children sailed from Southampton, England in May 1638 on the ship 'Bevis' which arrived at Boston in August 1638. John was a wheelwright and settled first in Newbury, Mass., then moved to Andover, where his name appears on the town records as the 8th in the list of first settlers before 1644. He was a Freeholder in 1645 and one of the ten male members of the First Church of Andover, organized 10-24-1645. He and nine others from Andover founded the North Parish Church in what is now North Andover. The church is still in existence. He killed wolves in Andover in 1656 and received #5 a head from the Colonial government bounty. Samuel Frye (son of John Frye and Ann Stratton) built a saw & grist mill on the Shawshin, at the place called for him and his descendants-Frye Village. His son added to this fulling-mill. During the Revolutionary period, Theophilus Frye was a miller & clothier at this place. Frye Village was named after Samuel Frye. Samuel was a corporal in the militia in 1692, an ensign in 1697, lieutenant in 1698 and captain in 1708. He was a selectman from 1692 until 1711 and a town proprietor before 1681. He signed petitions concerning the building of new meeting house in 1708. By trade, he was a farmer. The John Ayer Family The immigrant John Ayer is said to have sailed to America on The James in 1635. There is no documentation found for his journey, but in John's case he came with money,

45: and perhaps was one of the people who were not allowed to leave without surrendering money and property to the Crown. Per Willis Brown's research, we place him on the James because of his later close association with other listed passengers on that ship, such as the Pike family, and his kinsman, John Evered alias Webb. On June 3, 1635, John Ayer set sail for the New World with his family, including his two brothers-in-law, John and Stephen, aboard the ship, the James. As they approached New England, a hurricane struck, and they were forced to ride it out just off the coast of modern-day Hampton, New Hampshire. According to the ship's log and the journal of Increase Mather, whose father Richard Mather and family were passengers, the following was recorded; "At this moment,... their lives were given up for lost; but then, in an instant of time, God turned the wind about, which carried them from the rocks of death before their eyes. ...her sails rent in sunder, and split in pieces, as if they had been rotten ragges..." They tried to stand down during the storm just outside the Isles of Shoals, but lost all three anchors, as no canvas or rope would hold, but on Aug 13, 1635, torn to pieces, and not one death, all one hundred plus passengers of the James managed to make it to Boston Harbor. The Salem Witchcraft Trials touched the John Ayer family in 1692. Mary (Ayer) Parker, sister of Rebecca Ayer and daughter of John and Hannah Ayer, was accused of witchcraft in 1692. She refused to confess during the trial saying she knew nothing of it and there was another woman of the same name in Andover.

47: She was tried and condemned on September 17 and hung on September 22. She was buried in an unmarked grave somewhere in Salem, Massachusetts. There are also a couple of famous descendants from John Ayer: Laura Ingalls Wilder and Gerald Ford. Passengers on the Ship Bevis in 1638 Founders of numerous American families, many of them English followers of the Rev. Stephen Bachiler, arrived at Boston in 1638 aboard the ship Bevis. The small band of men, women and children who watched Southampton, England fade into a watery horizon on a May day in 1638, were sailing for the American colonies as an ultimate test of their faith. They were torn between the loss of loved ones left behind, perhaps forever, and hope the future would hold opportunities for those children so excitedly exploring the decks of the Bevis. They were more fortunate than some. Their pastor was the salty old Rev. Stephen Bachiler, until he was, in 1605, one of the first non-conformists excommunicated from the Church of England. These dissenters came to America in three groups. The Bevis passenger list was found more than 300 years later listing John Frey: 40 John Frey of Basing, wheelwright, his wife and three children

49: The blue stars show the shires (counties) the Anderson ancestors came from.

51: Locations in Frrance our Anderson ancestors came from

53: The Stories Continue Maj. Ephraim Hunt - Began military service in 1690 Captain in expedition to Canada. He was a councilor to Gov. Joseph Dudley between 1703 and 1713.1 He began military service between 1706 and 1707 Colonel. Lieut. Jacob Nash was by occupation: farmer, carpenter, and housewright. He owned property in Weymouth and Boston. Joseph was lieutenant of the Weymouth militia, and served at the conclusion of Queen Anne’s War with the French and Indians in 1713. The Marsh Family history can be traced to Alexander Marsh, who was born in England around 1628. He came to America in 1654, settling in Braintree, Massachusetts (near Quincy). Alexander married Mary Belcher and had nine children. Alexander held the title of Lieutenant in some military organization, but which one is unknown. In 1674-5 Alexander and his wife's father, Gregory Belcher, purchased a defunct iron works in Braintree. This iron works, or one close nearby was the first to operate in America. Alexander served as a town "selectman" during the 1690's, helping to govern the affairs of the town. He also assisted in affairs of the church. Dr. John Alcock was educated in 1646 at Harvard College, Cambridge, Massachusetts. He lived at Roxbury, Massachusetts. He taught school between 1647 and 1648 at Hartford, Connecticut. Dr. John Alcock was educated in 1648 at Harvard College, Cambridge, Massachusetts. Deacon George Alcock was a butcher by trade.

55: John Alden appears to have originated from an Alden family residing in Harwich, Essex, England, that was related by marriage to the Mayflower's master Christopher Jones. He was about 21 years old when he was hired to be the cooper, or barrel-maker, for the Mayflower's voyage to America. He was given the option to stay in America, or return to England; he decided to stay. John is said to be the first person from the Mayflower to set foot on Plymouth Rock in 1620. He was a ship-carpenter by trade and a cooper for Mayflower. He was one of the founders of Plymouth Colony and the seventh signer of the Mayflower Compact. Distinguished for practical wisdom, integrity and decision, he acquired and retained a commanding influence over his associates. Employed in public business he became the Governor's Assistant, the Duxbury Deputy to the General Court of Plymouth, a member under arms of Capt. Miles Standish's Duxbury Company, a member of Council of War, Treasurer of Plymouth Colony, and Commissioner to Yarmouth. At Plymouth, he quickly rose up from his common seaman status to a prominent member of the Colony. About 1622 or 1623, he married Priscilla, the orphaned daughter of William and Alice Mullins. They had their first child, Elizabeth, around 1624, and would have nine more children over the next twenty years. John Alden was one of the earliest freemen in the Colony, and was elected an assistant to the governor and Plymouth Court as early as 1631, and was regularly re-elected throughout the 1630s. He died in 1687 at the age of 89, one of the last surviving Mayflower passengers.

57: Priscilla Mullens was most likely born in Dorking in Surrey, the daughter of William and Alice Mullins. Priscilla was a seventeen-year-old girl when she boarded the Mayflower. She lost her parents and her brother during the first winter in Plymouth. She was then the only one of her family in the New World, although she had another brother and a sister who remained in England. She spun wool and flax for the colony, taught children, and helped with the cooking. William Mullens was born about 1572, apparently to John and Joan (Bridger) Mullins of Dorking, Surrey, England. He married a woman named Alice whom he brought with his children Priscilla and Joseph on the Mayflower; he also brought over 250 shoes and 13 pairs of boots, his profession being a shoe and boot dealer The name Belcher is of great antiquity in England, being formed as early as 1176, when Ralph Belcher was witness to a deed. There were five persons named Belcher who settled in New England before 1650, and from two of them are descended practically all of the name in the United States. Gregory Belcher, born about 1606, came to America on the Winthrop Fleet of ships in 1634. He was a farmer and was admitted a Freeman on 13 May 1640 at Braintree, Massachusetts. He was made a Selectman in 1646. Deacon Samuel Bass and wife Ann, with several children, came from England to Roxbury in 1632. In 1640 he removed to Braintree (now part of Quincy) and at once took an important place in the matters of the Town, both Religious and Political. This is shown by the Rec. of the Town Clerk, who departing from his usual brief obituaries, notices his mass follows:

59: "Deacon Samuel Bass, aged 94, departed this life upon the 30th day of December, 1694, who had been a Deacon of the Church of Braintree for the space of 50 years, and was the father and grandfather and great grandfather of a hundred and sixty and two children before he died, the youngest whereof was Benjamin Bass the son of Joseph Bass and Mary his wife, born seven days before his death. He represented the town in no less than twelve General Courts, served on important Committees, was Selectman innumerable times and active in the Church and all the time continued his farming." (see "300 years of Quincy," p. 53, by D. M. Wilson.) Gregory Baxter was born about 1607 in England. He immigrated in 1631 to Massachusetts. Ancient Noyes Family The surname NOYES is rare. It may have originated in East Anglia at a very early period. Land held by Walter Noyse was mentioned in a fine concerning land in 'Scroteby', Norfolk. Through marriage into the Wingfield family, estates passing into new hands at death, earls becoming dukes, and the first of the Noyes family in Hampshire may have arrived as servants of the first Duke of Suffolk about 1430-32. The court rolls of the manor of Ramridge record that Robert Noys was farming the manor (rendering its accounts) in 1432-33. The Noyes family continued as farmers of the manor of Ramridge for at least two more centuries. This last Thomas Noyes is certainly Thomas Noyes (b. say 1488), from whom descent can be traced with certainty.

61: From this family descended Nicholas, son of Robert and Joan (Mondey) Noyes. This Nicholas had a son, Robert, who was the father of William. Two of William and Ann (Parker) Noyes' sons, James and Nicholas were the immigrant ancestors in 1634 of nearly all families with the Noyes surname existing today in the United States. The other Noyes immigrant at this time was Peter who arrived in New England in 1638 and settled in Sudbury. The line of Peter Noyes ended when there were no sons born to the third generation. Until only recently, Peter was suspected to have been a cousin of James and Nicholas. That relationship has now been proven servants of the first Duke of Suffolk at his manor of Ramridge about 1430-32. Haynes and Noyes Families Walter Haynes was born in England in 1583. He owned a house and out-buildings in the village of Shaston, situated in the island of Purbeck, in the south-eastern portion of Dorsetshire. He, with family and servants, arrived in Boston in 1638, in ship Confidenc). In the same ship came Peter Noyes, yeoman, of Penton, county of Southampton, with children and servants. Walter Haynes was a linen weaver, and was 55 years of age when he came to this country. Winthrop Fleet - 1630 Passenger List George Alcock, Gregory Baxter, Richard Palsgrave and daughter, Sarah,were on the passenger list for the ships in the Winthrop fleet in 1630. Gregory Belcher: came to America on John Winthrops fleet of ships to the Mass Bay Colony: came to Boston 1634

63: Sir Robert Wingfield of Letheringham Member of Parliament for Suffolk was knighted at Hereford by King Henry VI of England. From 1427 to 1436 he was Knight of the Shire for Suffolk. Robert was appointed Steward of the Honour of Richmond in Norfolk and later he became Steward to John de Mowbray, 3rd Duke of Norfolk. He accompanied the Duke on his embassy to the court of King Charles VII of France. He was accused of rioting in 1447 and was imprisoned in the Marshalsea then pardoned in 1448. He was appointed Knight of the Shire for Hertfordshire in 1449. He became a Member of Parliament under Henry VI. In 1450, Robert was denounced in the Parliament of England as one of the King's "evil advisors". He received a Royal Commission in 1451.

65: Richard "Copped Hat" Fitzalan 5th Earl of Arundel Knight of the Garter. Being restored by parliament in the 4th year of Edward III, had the castle of Arundel (which had been given to Edmund, E. Kent, the king's uncle) rendered to him, and thus became the 5 Earl. He was soon afterwards made Governor of Porchester Castle, and the same year had a command in the wars of Scotland, where he continued engaged for several years. After this he was constituted admiral of the western seas, and Governor of Caernarvon Castle. In the 14th year of Edward III, he embarked in the French wars, and participated in the glories of the subsequent campaigns. He was at the siege of Vannes, the relief of Thouars, and the immortal battle of Cressy. Besides his great military services, the Earl was frequently employed in diplomatic missions of the first importance, and was esteemed one of the most eminent generals and statesmen of the era in which he lived. Henry III King of England For Henry's wedding, he wore cloth of gold, which had recently been invented. When his son Edward was born, Henry extorted so many presents from the London merchants that one said, "God gave us this child, but the king sells him to us." Henry's zoo at the Tower of London was one of the most advanced in Europe. One of his favorite animals was a lion, a gift from Louis IX of France. Emperor Frederick II sent him three leopards in 1235 in token of his royal shield of arms, wherein three leopards were pictured. In 1252, the king of Norway gave Henry a white bear. In 1255, Louis IX exceeded the sensation he had made with the lion by presenting an elephant, which lived for three years.

67: Henry II "Curt Mantel" King of England was knighted by King David of Scotland in 1149 in Carlisle. Henry II was crowned King of England in 25 October 1154 at Westminster Abbey, London, England. Henry was known for his excellent memory, as well as for his occasional fits of bad temper, which involved rolling on the floor and biting furniture. It was said that Henry could speak every language used in Europe, from France to the Holy Land--but he probably could not speak English. Henry was very interested in learning. Peter of Blois said, "With the King of England, it is school every day; there is always conversation with learned men and discussion of learned problems." Although Henry is remembered as a mostly ineffectual ruler, even his critics concede that he was a great builder-king. His most ambitious construction project was rebuilding Westminster Abbey, an undertaking he financed from his private funds. Although exceptionally pious for a medieval ruler, he may also have been motivated by competition with his brother-in-law Louis IX of France (St. Louis) and his beautiful Sainte-Chapelle, the stained glass chapel Louis was building at the time that Henry was planning the Abbey. Among the improvements Henry made to the Tower of London was the installation of the most advanced privies of the day. He wrote to his clerk of works in 1245 complaining that the facility in his rooms "smelled badly", and ordered it to be replaced "even though it should cost one hundred pounds."

69: Eleanor of Aquitaine was one of the most powerful people of the Middle Ages and the richest and most powerful woman in Europe during her lifetime. She was married first to the French King Louis VII and then to the English King Henry II, a marriage that produced the two English kings Richard the Lionheart and John. She was raised in one of Europe's most cultured courts, the birthplace of the courtly love poetry invented by her grandfather, William IX of Aquitaine, the Troubador. In 1173, Eleanor took part in a rebellion against Henry in league with three of their four surviving legitimate sons. Henry in 1170 had Archbishop of Canterbury, Thomas Beckett murdered and Europe was outraged. Eleanor was certainly incensed by Henry's numerous sexual dalliances leaving a division of family inheritance. She was annoyed with his attempts to control her patrimony of Aquitaine and the social progress of her court Poitiers. The rebellion was put down, and Eleanor was imprisoned by Henry at the age of 50 for the next fifteen years. Upon Henry's death in 1189, her son Richard inherited the throne and released his mother from prison. She ruled England while Richard went off to Crusade. Eleanor died in 1204 and was entombed in Fontevraud Abbey near her husband Henry and her son Richard. Her tomb effigy shows her reading a Bible.

71: Fulk V "le Jeune" (?) Count of Anjou and King of Jerusalem is said to have invented pointy-toed shoes to hide his gouty feet. William X Duke of Aquitaine, nicknamed the Saint, was Duke of Aquitaine and Gascony and Count of Poitiers between 1126 and 1137. William X was a patron of troubadors, music and literature. He was an educated man and strived to give his two daughters an excellent education, in a time when Europe's rulers where hardly literate. When Eleanor succeeded him as Duchess, she continued William's tradition and transformed the Aquitanian court in of Europe's centre of knowledge. In 1137 William joined the pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela, but died of food poisoning during the trip. On his deathbed, he expressed his wish to see king Louis VII of France as protector of his fifteen year old daughter Eleanor. Louis VII accepted this wish and married the heiress of Aquitaine. Additional Notes Sir John Russell, Master of the Horse of Richard II – pg 11a Sir Edmund FitzAlan, 9th Earl Arundel, Chief Justice of North & South Wales, Beheaded without trial. Initially buried at the Franciscan church at Hereford, but eventually moved to Haughmond Abbey, Shropshire. – pg A-12 Sir William de Warren, Ambushed and slain by his rivals after a tournament – pg A-12 Gilbert de Saunford Chamberlain to Eleanor, Queen of Henry III, King of England – pg A-12 Sir Richard de Clare, Rumored that he's been poisoned at the table of Peter of Savoy, the Queen's uncle. He was buried on 17 July 1262; His body was taken to the Cathedral Church of Christ at Canterbury, where his entrails were buried before the altar of St. Edward the Confessor; the body was forthwith taken to the Collegiate Church of Tonbridge, Kent, where the heart was buried; and thence the body was finally borne to Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, and buried there in the choir at Tewkesbury Abbey on his father's right hand. – pg A14

73: The resource for most of the information on pages A-10, A-11, A-12 and A-13 on the web at http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p916.htm#i27514. This starts you at Sir Robert Wingfield and is an eaasy place from which to start. The ancestors of Henry II "Curt Mantel" King of England can be found starting on the web site, http://www.theroyfamily.com/p28643.htmand. By clicking on the links of each of the names, you will go backwards in the timeline. Each page also contains all the sources. | Royal Arms of England (1198-1340) | Plantagenet Coat of Arms

74: Royal Descent of the Palgrave Family

78: Resting place of John Alden and wife Priscilla in the Myles Standish Burial Grounds, Duxbury, Mass. | John Alden's signature is the signature down on the left column. | Documents our ancestors had a hand in

79: The Magna Carta is considered by many to be one of the most significant documents in the history of democracy; having made it so 'common people' had rights. Over the years it has been responsible for influencing other important ideas as the US Constitution and the Bill of Rights, and much of the laws that were made in the Magna Carta are still used in British law today. Issued in 1215 it was made because of the arguments between the King of England, King John, his barons, and the Pope. It said that all people including the government, the monarch, the nobles, barons, and everyone were to be subject to the law, limiting the power of the King. Every county in England was given a copy of the document when it was first drafted in Runnymede in 1215. Lincoln's copy, one of only four still in existence, was brought back to the Cathedral by the Bishop of Lincoln, Hugh of Wells, who was also so one of the witnesses to the signing.

81: Our Farris Ancestors Merle Farris owned and operated nursing homes in Clarinda and Villisca, owned apartment home rentals and established a home for the aged for 11 years in Clarinda. Later she owned and operated the Shady Lawn Rest Home in Villisca for 13 years. She was a member of the Nazarene Church of Clarinda and had lived most of her life in Adams County. Gideon Farris, one of the old settlers of Adams county, was born in Claiborne county, Tennessee. He followed the cooper's trade for several years, with farming, and later gave his whole attention to agriculture. He farmed in Illinois first, and came to Iowa in 1852 along with the Robert Schooling family. They started west with two wagons, drawn by 4 yoke of oxen and four horses, and settled on the place where he now resides and has been living ever since. He built a log cabin and later added an addition hauling the lumber from Des Moines by oxen. They had to go to Savannah and to St. Joseph, Missouri, for their goods. He owned 260 acres of good land with a good orchard, grove, small fruits, etc. David and Mary Carns traveled to Oregon by wagon train around 1864. Gideon Faires - Private, Civil Service, VA in the Revolutionary War, Gideon like his father, William, was a farmer and a frontier Indian fighter. Gideon served with Col. William Christian in 1776 on a campaign against the Cherokees in east Tennessee who had been attacking frontier settlements at the instigation of the British. Johannes Harader arrived in Philadelphia on the ship, Ranier, on 26 Sep. 1749.

82: The tartan is one of the most beautiful among the Highlanders – a deep red with green and violet plaids. | The McSpadden Coat-of-Arms consists of a pointed silver shield, a green palm with a brown trunk standing on a green base. It is ornamented with a wooden colored raft in the crown of the tree. The Coat-of-Arms Ornament is a dark blue and gold gothic coat-of-arms holding the shield and helmet. The Helmet is a gothic helmet in silver, closed with a black and red visor and on a gold medallion. A black shoulder band is ornamented gothic. The Main Ornament consists of the shield symbol, in green, brown, and wooden colored, placed on a golden base. One source lists the Motto as "Pondere Spreto", but fails to give a translation. | Dress Hunting Mull District

83: Clan Maclaine of Lochbuie Clan Maclaine of Lochbuie is a Scottish Clan that inhabited lands on the southern end of the Isle of Mull in the Inner Hebrides of the western Scottish Highlands. "Maclaine" is an alternate spelling for "MacLean." Clan Maclaine of Lochbuie and Clan MacLean of Duart are two separate clans. However, since the two clans share a strong family connection, the Maclaines of Lochbuie are widely considered a "branch clan" of the much larger Clan MacLean. The history of Maclaine of Lochbuie can be traced back farther than the Gaels to Tuscany in Italy. A Tuscan follower of William the Conqueror had a grandson who moved to Ireland with the famous Earl of Surrey, known as "Strongbow." The Fitzgeralds of Ireland sent offshoots to Scotland in the thirteenth century. Two Fitzgerald cousins are said to have started both Clan MacLean and Clan Mackenzie, with the name MacLean being coined by a fierce warrior who lived in the 13th century. When the Gaelic Highlanders broke away from the Lowland monarchy in the 14th century, the MacLeans allied with the Highlanders - receiving lands from John, Lord of the Isles, in exchange for their support. Details about the MacClaines' history can be found at ttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clan_Maclaine_of_Lochbuie. McSpadden Family History The McSpadden clan is a sept of the MacClaines of Lochbuie, the small islands off the west coast of Scotland. This clan descended from Eachan Heaganach, who received Lochbuie sometime after 1354 from John, 1st Lord of the Isles, of the powerful McDonald clan. The clan motto is "Vincere vel Mori" - "To Conquer or Die". The tartan is one of the most beautiful among the Highlanders – a deep red with green and violet plaids. The name 'McSpadden' is believed to have originated in Scotland. In Scotland it means 'Spader' or 'tiller of the soil'. It is said that the name originated when a daughter of the MacClaine clan had a child out of wedlock. At that time such a child was not

85: given a last name, and since the father was a spader (either a maker of spades or a man who farmed with them), the child was named MacFadyen - 'son of the spader'. In the 13th century, McSpaddens emigrated from Scotland to Ireland, settling in the county of Fermanagh. In 1566, the guardsman and patriot Robert Alexander McSpadden was distinguished with the medal for Bravery First Class and granted authorization for a Coat-of-Arms in Pergament by the Irish government for his outstanding contribution to the fight for Irish independence. He had shown service to his country many times in battles against the British. Additionally, because of his religious faith, he made a great impression on the enemy and was able to effect an important reconciliation, and finally total freedom was guaranteed. Descendants of this family emigrated to England and by righteous and religious publications, were able to establish the national title of the Irish nation. The story persists that three brothers came from Ireland to America - one - Thomas - settling in Virginia and the other two in Pennsylvania. The belief is that all McSpaddens found in the new world are descended from these three. As of May 27, 2000, no traces of the two northern immigrants or any of their descendents have been found. All the people reported here descend from the Thomas who originally settled in Virginia. Thomas McSpadden came to America from Ireland with two brothers about 1740. He was a charter member of Old Timber Ridge Presbyterian Church, about 5 miles north of Lexington. He was a member of Captain John Buchanan's Company of the militia of Augusta County, Virginia, in 1742. He also fought in the French and Indian War during the period 1754 to 1763. All of his sons and one son-in-law were known to be veterans of the Revolutionary War.

87: Clan Maclaine of Lochbuie is a Scottish Clan that inhabited lands on the southern end of the Isle of Mull in the Inner Hebrides of the western Scottish Highlands. In the 13th century, McSpaddens emigrated from Scotland to Ireland, settling in the county of Fermanagh.

89: Our Amish/Mennonite Connection Jacob and Barbara Mast fled from Canton Bern, Switzerland to the Alsace area of France and then to the Palatinate area of Germany because the Mennonites and Amish were being religiously persecuted by the Catholics. Finally on October 8, 1737 they emigrated on the ship "Charming Nancy" to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania from Rotterdam, Holland via England. Below is a map showing the route of the Maust family as they fled religious persecution.

90: ________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________ | Births

91: ________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________ | Marriages

92: ________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________ | Deaths

Sizes: mini|medium|large|gargantuous
Stephanie Rutledge
  • By: Stephanie R.
  • Joined: over 6 years ago
  • Published Mixbooks: 36
No contributors

About This Mixbook

  • Title: The Anderson Farris Family
  • Tags: None
  • Published: about 5 years ago

Get up to 50% off
Your first order

Get up to 50% off
Your first order