Get up to 50% Off Sitewide! Code: JUNESUN Ends: 6/20 Details

  1. Help
Get up to 50% Off Sitewide! Code: JUNESUN Ends: 6/20 Details


Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.

2007-2008 - Page Text Content

S: Notes for Nicholas 2007-2008

FC: Notes for Nicholas | The Story of my Life 2007-2008

1: With everyday Nicholas begins to change, grow and develop. It is a joy to watch each day unfold. Here are just a few of the highlights.

2: I have arrived! | Friday, December 14, 2007 | After 17 hours, he has arrived! Nicholas Bryant Kelly was born in Monterey on December 12, 2007 at 5:01pm. He weights 6 pounds 1 ounce and is 19 inches long. Christopher was able to come up about half way through the labor and be there when he was born. Grammie and Grandpa came up to wait for his arrival too. I was surprised to see that he has reddish brown hair! He looks like his Mommy but has his Daddy’s lips. It took a couple days to settle on a name, but I think it fits him already. Everyone was so excited to be there and meet this perfect little boy. Let the adventure begin!

3: Since Nicholas was born early he had a little jaundice. His pediatrician wanted him undergo a light treatment to help clear up his yellow skin. Christopher had to go back to San Diego to take care of some work stuff, so I was left make Nicholas glow. I had to wrap his body in a flexible light pad that attached to tube and machine. He is supposed to glow for the majority of the day. He doesn’t seem to mind. He fits perfect in his rocking chair and I think the soft hum helps him sleep. Rosco isn’t too sure of the contraption- especially with its blue glow. After a week or two he should be fine, but until then I will have myself a little glowworm! | My little glowworm | Wednesday, December 19, 2007

4: My 1st Christmas | Tuesday, December 25, 2007 | This Christmas was a little different. Not only was there a new baby, but the rest of the family was cruising the Caribbean! So, we a quiet day at home. I bought Nicholas a “My First Christmas” outfit and spent the morning altering it so he could wear it. We had our own turkey dinner at home and then it was off to Aunt Onie and Uncle Bob’s for Christmas desert with Dad’s side of the family. Everyone ooed and ahhed over tiny Nicholas. Cousin Amber and April each waited patiently for a turn at holding him. He enjoyed being held by all the various family members. After several hours it was time say good-bye. Nicholas’ First Christmas was a merry one!

5: I really wanted to see the new National Treasure movie that just came. So, with some hesitation we took Nicholas to his very first movie. We sat close to the aisle, just in case but he was a dream. He didn’t cry at all and slept through the whole movie. I guess I better bask in the glory of being able to have him sleep through a whole movie. Pretty soon our movie days will be over! | A day at the movies | Wednesday, December 26, 2007

6: Fussy doctors taking pictures! | Friday, December 28, 2007 | Today started very early 2:30 from what I vaguely remember. Every two hours he was eating and in between that was very fussy. After an exhausting morning we finally made it to the doctor for his weight check. He gained 1 ounce, so now he is almost back to his birth weight. The doctor says he is perfect and should be gaining more weight each day. Soon he might actually fit in his newborn clothes! After we got home, Nicholas was fully awake and not interested in sleeping. I got out my camera and tried to capture some of the moments where he had his eyes open. He is awake more and more each day. It is fun watching him trying to mimic what our faces are doing. Let’s hope tonight is a restful one!

7: Christopher went back to San Diego and now it is just Nicholas and I. We are getting a chance to really discover each other. This is what I’ve learned so far 1.Nicholas is awake for 2-3 hours between midnight and 4am 2.It is hard to change the TV channel while feeding him 3.I need to eat and go to the bathroom while Nicholas sleeps or I forget to do both 4.Nicholas sleeps and eat at different times everyday- so much for a natural schedule 5.Nicholas still hates bath time and his crib! Oh lucky me! | Just the 2 of Us | Friday, January 4, 2008

8: That is one big belly! | Tuesday, January 8, 2008 | Ok, so Nicholas is now eating but I still haven’t seen a difference in his clothes. Everything is still so big. Today I noticed where is all was going.

9: Nicholas is 1 month old! Here are his stats: Weight- 7 pounds 4 ounces Length- 21 inches Nicholas has been busy! He gained a whole pound. He is eating like a mad man and is awake for several long periods during the day. | 1 month old | Saturday, January 12, 2008

10: 5 weeks! | Wednesday, January 16, 2008 | Here are some of the highlights so far -we’re on the move- we’ve started taking neighborhood walks with the dogs. Nicholas loves the baby Bjorn carrier. He gets all cozy and warm and usually falls asleep. -Nicholas goes to bed and gets up at relatively the same time every day! -He is napping in his cradle

11: It was an exciting Saturday in Berkeley where Nicholas saw his first rugby game. It was extra exciting because Uncle J started in the A game against Stanford. It was a sunny day at Witter Field. Grandpa, Grammie and Grannie were all there. Nicholas even got his own Cal hat to wear to the next game. He’s only 5 weeks and he is already saying, “Go Bears!” | Cal Rugby | Saturday, January 19, 2008

12: A day at the beach | Sunday, January 20, 2008 | It was Nicholas first day at the beach. In true Northern CA form, it was cloudy and cold. We went over to neighboring Santa Cruz to one of the dog beaches. Rosco and Bruno had fun chasing the ball, pounding in the waves and playing with the other dogs. Despite the cold weather, Nicholas was very warm in his beloved baby carrier and stayed asleep the entire time. We can’t wait for it to be warm enough for his little toes to touch the sand and surf!

13: One-time flukes? -Smiling- I thought I saw a smile but it was only once and was probably gas -Taking a bath while not screaming bloody murder -Nicholas slept for 5 hours straight- I hope this is the start of sleeping through the night Other not so highlights from this week. -screaming in the car seat- I guess he doesn’t like it right now -screaming when I put him down. This is when another set of arms would come in handy. Mine are a little sore -store brand diapers- they leak all over the place! | Flukes?! | Friday, January 25, 2008

14: Cal vs. Chico | Saturday, February 2, 2008 | Uncle J had a rugby game in Chico so we drove up for the game. It was pouring rain and freezing cold. We sat in the car next to the field and watched the guys get all muddy. Nicholas was the unofficial mascot with his bear outfit on. Go bears!

15: Nicholas watched his first superbowl this year! We went up to Davis to watch it on the big LCD screen! Nicholas was rooting for the Giants, and woke up just in time to see the last couple plays. Nicholas had on his superbowl outfit for the festivities. Next year Nicholas hopes to see his ‘niners take it all! | Superbowl | Sunday, February 3, 2008

16: My first plan trip | Tuesday, February 5, 2008 | We went off to San Diego today. I decided to fly and this was Nicholas’ first plane trip. It seems like I packed enough for a month! Nicholas slept through the first half of the flight, but then woke up to eat. After his snack he looked out the window and did some people watching. Everyone said how quiet he was! I was glad there wasn’t screaming. Hopefully he will continue to be a good flyer.

17: Nichols is now 2 months old! He has had his first set of vaccinations- 3 shots in the leg and 1 liquid. Here are his latest stats 10 pounds 20 inches (unless he shrank, I think they measured wrong!) 37-inch head | 2 months old | Tuesday, February 12, 2008

18: I love Mommy | Thursday, February 14, 2008 | For Valentine’s Day, Nicholas and I went to jack’s peak right in our backyard. We hiked the trails and took in all the magnificent Monterey views. ___________________________ The trumpeters and singers joined in unison, as with one voice, to give praise and thanks to the Lord. Accompanied by trumpets, cymbals and other instruments, they raised their voices in praise to the lord and sang: “he is good; his love endures forever.” 2 chronicles 5:13

19: Uncle Steve came to Davis for a visit. We went to Berkeley to watch J’s rugby game and went to Fenton’s for some ice cream. Nicholas can’t wait for his first taste! Nicholas watched part of a movie with Steve, too bad he can’t eat the popcorn. | Visit with Uncle Steve | Tuesday, February 19, 2008

20: Colic?! | Tuesday, March 18, 2008 | Nicholas has been crying a lot since he was about 6 weeks.but I didn’t really think too much of it. As he approached his 2-month mark it got worse. He would cry for hours a day and did not like to be put down! I would hold him for hours a day and then listen to him scream while I tried to do basic things (eat, shower, bathroom). He went to the doctor and changed formulas twice. He is not on a lactose free formula. He also was prescribed a probiotic drip from Sweden. I wasn’t sure if these drops were working until yesterday. I dropped the bottle and it broke so Nicholas did not have his daily drops, boy was he mad! So, I guess they work- at least a little. Despite the crying, Nicholas has perfected his smile and does it all day (when not crying). He is laughing more and doing new tricks. He uses his shoulders to try and get out of his car seat. He is getting close to grabbing his feet. He loves to look around and is very curious! He is also loosing his hair he is becoming a bald baby!

21: Nicholas spent his first Easter in Davis. He got all dressed up in his finest argyle and went to church. He tried out the nursery for the first time and was a model baby. The Easter Bunny made a trip and he got some soft books and some bath toys. He spent the day being passed around to various family members and took a few naps. It was a great first Easter! | Nicholas’ First Easter | Sunday, March 23, 2008

22: The Mysteriously magic Red Blanket | Tuesday, March 25, 2008 | Nicholas’ colic seems to have let up a little bit. And by let up, I mean that he screams for only two hours straight instead of 4. Or maybe I am beginning to tune him out. But, there is this mysteriously magic red blanket. Whenever he is screaming, if he is wrapped in the red blanket he stops. Now of course he doesn’t just stay that waybut it seems to work at least getting him to take a small nap. The colic tablets, tummy water, formula changes, special bottles, $40 drops, chamomile mint tea and all the other concoctions have done absolutely nothing, but use the red blanket and he’s good! Go figure...

23: We went to the doctor today to get a “colic checkup” and here is how Nicholas is doing at 3 months. Weight- 12 pounds 4 ounces Length- 23 inches He smiles daily and returns smiles. He is starting to laugh (when he isn’t crying) and talks a lot. He loves to suck on his hands all the time (while screaming. It is kind of funny because he doesn’t know he is doing it and gets mad). He also started eating cereal this week. He is not sure about the spoon and the whole swallowing thing, but he’ll get the hang of it. | Stats Update | Wednesday, March 26, 2008

24: Hike Number 2 | Wednesday, April 9, 2008 | Over the weekend Nicholas took his 2nd hike at Big Basin State Park in Santa Cruz county. Nicholas tried out his new kelty backpack and he loved it! I think it was because he could look around and fulfill al of his curiosities. He also enjoyed taking a few naps along the way. He was able to see lots of redwood trees, but he was really fascinated by the giant banana slug. Nicholas can’t wait for his next outdoor adventure!

25: Nicholas is 4 months old (well 4 1/2)! He is getting bigger and learning l ots of new tricks! Here is all the important info. Weight- 12 pounds 15 ounces Length- 24 inches Head size- 40.1 centimeters Nicholas is now eating cereal and will soon be starting some yellow vegetables. He loves to hear his own voice and talks all the time. He smiles all day long and likes to return smiles. He just learned how to push his lips together and blow, making a sputtering sound. He loves to do this and likes to do it back. He also is imitating sounds he hears. He really likes to imitate “Hi.” But nothing is consistent yet. Now if we can only get him to sleep through the night. | 4 month check up | Tuesday, April 22,2008

26: Albuquerque, NM | Tuesday, April 22, 2008

27: Nicholas went on his 2nd airplane ride to the USA Rugby playoffs in Albuquerque, New Mexico. On all 4-plane rides he did really well, only crying for a short time (from runway to gate). But, let me tell you, holding a baby that moves as much as he does on a flight-whew! We arrived in ABQ late and met Grandpa, Grammie and Nana. We took off for Santa Fe the next day. It was a little cold when we left but by the time we got to Santa Fe it was snowing! It was coming down pretty hard and was sticking to the ground. We did some sight seeing and returned to Albuquerque that evening. The following day we toured Albuquerque and went to t he first Cal game. The bears played Tennessee and won 100-3. It was hard to keep score with the game going so fast. Nicholas got his first tan in the bright sun! The final Cal game was against Cal Poly and J played the entire game. The bears won 74-6, with J making one of those trys. That day we also went on the world’s longest tram rides up to the top of Sandia Peak. We got great views of that oh-so-beautiful desert landscape. We spent some time in Old Town before we caught our flight home. It was a great mini vacation.

28: Bottle, cereal and squash | Wednesday, April 30, 2008 | Nicholas has now moved onto solid foods. He has tried rice and oatmeal cereal.; and he prefers oatmeal. Last weekend he had his first taste of butternut squash. He wasn’t too sure at first, but then decided that he like it enough to eat a whole jar! Yesterday he had some homemade baby food and he ate every bit! He seems to be enjoying these new culinary treats, but sadly this hasn’t helped him sleep through the night. Maybe soon

29: Nicholas has 2 new tricks under his belt! He can flip from his back to his stomach, but not back. He just lays there and cries until someone flips him over. He can also grab his feet. He loves to do this! He likes to hold them ad roll back and forth. Now that he is 5 months he is another inch longer (24”) and weighs 13.8 pounds. He is trying to sit up and it is only a matter of time! | New tricks | Sunday, May 11, 2008

30: My First Swim | Thursday, May 15, 2008 | Davis has had a hot couple of days and today Nicholas took his first swim in the pool. He seemed to like it. He didn’t cry at all. He just sucked on his fingers and kicked his feet. Towards the end of his swim he was blowing through his lips and making happy noises. He can’t wait until he gets his swim raft! Just another little water baby.

31: Memorial day at the lake proved to be full excitement. Nicholas went to his first Memorial Day parade in beautiful downtown Lakeport. The weather was a little cold, so we cut the parade short. Nicholas spent lots of time with nana, GREAT- Uncle Dave, Uncle Steve and Steve’s friend, Ben. Nicholas liked watching TV with Steve and especially liked to be lifted up and down. He also had his first boat ride on clear lake. He wore a rather big life jacket, but he seemed to like the wind in his hair! It was too cold to swim- too bad too because he has a new crab raft to try out. Maybe Grammie and Grandpa’s pool will be warm enough for it. To round out the weekend, Nicholas was able to get in on the Mexican train tournament. Unfortunately he was not the winner for the 2nd year in a row who was might you ask? Oh wait it was me! He can’t wait for the big tournament-taking place in the Caribbean. It was a great first trip to the lake. | Off to the Lake | Wednesday, March 26, 2008

32: 90 degrees in Monterey?! | Friday, June 20, 2008 | Believe it or not, but it is 90 degrees here in Monterey! I could tell it was going to be warm the moment I got up, but it feels more like Davis then the cool coast. Because of the heat it was a perfect day for an outing at the beach. So, I loaded up all the babies and headed off to Carmel. In Carmel they have an off leash dog beach the boys love. Now having Nicholas strapped to the front of me and Rosco and Bruno on each side and holding poop bags and a ball is no easy feet! We finally got down to the beach with no altercations and every seemed excited (mainly Rosco!). Once on the sand both dogs ran into the water and pretty much spent the whole time there. Nicholas loved to watch the dogs and all the people. He was awake the whole time. He enjoyed putting his toes in the sand and really liked the water. It was the perfect way to spend the day!

33: Nicholas took his first trip to the park and took his first ride on the swings. He loves to experience new things, so he loved the walk over in the stroller. When I put him in the swing, he took to it right away. He told me how much he liked it in baby language! After about 15 minutes in the swing, Nicholas got onto the frog seesaw. He can’t really hold on too well, so it was short lived. This is the start to many more fun times at the park. | First trip to the park | Tuesday, June 24, 2008

34: It's official I'm advanced! | Tuesday, July1, 2008 | Nicholas went to his 6-month (even though he is almost 7 months) doctor appointment. He is still a little small, but gaining weight. With Steve’s expert training , Nicholas can now sit up on his own really well. His doctor was very impressed! He said that his sitting abilities were advanced for his age. Steve’s next task: crawling forward! Weight- 15 pounds 7 ounces Length- 26 inches Head size 41 inches

35: This was Nicholas’ first 4th of July and that meant attending the famous Pickle family picnic at Aunt Onie’s and Uncle Bob’s. After lots of visiting and being passed from family member to family member it was time to eat. Nicholas had his first taste of chicken and he really liked it. He might even like it more than squash. After dinner it was time for the traditional homemade ice cream. Nicholas took his turn sitting on top of the crank and then tried to turn the handle himself. We finished the night off with some fireworks. The show was in the distance so the noise wasn’t too loud. Nicholas loves bright lights so he took notice of the flashing lights. He really liked the red ones. It was a great 4th! | Independence Day | Friday, July 4th 2008

36: Go Giants! | Saturday, July 5, 2008 | On Saturday we all went to the Giants/Dodgers game at AT&T Park in San Francisco. Boy was it packed out at the game! It was sold out and you could really feel it! Nicholas was decked out in his Giants outfit and hat that uncle Steve bought him. He got lots of approving attention from other Giants’ fans. He didn’t seem to really know what was going on and there were far too many distractions and exciting things to look at. He was having a great time until the Giants started to pull ahead of the dodgers and the crowd went nuts! He got scared and started to cry. Those rowdy Dodgers fans! He was just upset that he couldn’t get out there on the field and play too.

37: So, it is time to leave beautiful Monterey and start the next chapter in our lives. Nicholas and I are going to northeast to Woodland. We are going to live with Grammie and Grandpa for a while. Monterey has been a wonderful experience and I wish we could have stayed longer, but maybe some day we’ll be least for a visit! | Goodbye Monterey, Hello new adventures! | Monday, July 8, 2008

38: Look what I can do...! | Tuesday, July 15, 2008 | It seems that Nicholas has decided not to crawl and just bypass that to the standing stage. He can now pull himself up on the sofa and in his crib too. He started moving his feet, but is still unsteady. He is practicing so we’ll see how long it takes before he is cruising around the house!

39: I just got a new burley bike trailer for Nicholas to ride in. He went for his first ride and seemed to enjoy it. The helmet is a little big and slid over his eyes. We are waiting for the infant attachment so he can take a longer ride than just down the street. Fun times for the little man! | My New Toy | Saturday, July 19, 2008

40: Swimming Pool Fun | Friday, August 15, 2008 | Nicholas wanted to beat the Northern CA heat by hitting the local pool. There is a very cool “baby” pool. It starts at eh cement and gradually gets deeper. Nicholas loved it because he can crawl around in the water. He has even figured out how to climb out of the pool and sit on the edge. Training in his “crazy crab” has helped him learn how to kick his legs and move his arms to paddle. He seems to “swim” a lot better then the other kids at the pool. He is a water baby for sure!

41: We took a trip into San Francisco to have dinner in north beach. We walked around north beach and smelled all the Italian cooking, we saw Coit tower from a distance, and had a small taste of china town. We took a walk over to Ghirardelli square and looked at all the changes. Nicholas can’t wait for his next trip to the city. | Dinner in the city! | Monday, August 25, 2008

42: State Fair 2008 | Monday, August 25, 2008 | Last week we all went over to the state fair for a look at the UC Davis exhibit. Nicholas saw lots of interesting things. We saw the car from Back to the future-very cool. Then we went over and checked out the cows, goats, and horses. Nicholas loves cows and he seemed to be mesmerized by how big they were. He also got to sit on top of a giant golden bear. One of his favorite exhibits was the county displays. He liked the giant flower that he could stick his head in that was part of Solano County’s exhibit.

43: Nicholas is 9 months! Time has surely flown by! Here is the 411 on Nicholas. 18 pounds 27 inches He likes to crawl out and sit in the garage when he thinks no one is watching He loves to play with Rosco and Rosco loves him He is very social He likes to talk loud! He is starting to throw tantrums He is all over the place! | 9 months! | Friday, September 12, 2008

44: Giants Game | Thursday, September 25, 2008 | Nicholas went to his second Giants game against the Rockies. They didn’t win, but we had great seats courtesy of Uncle Dave. Nicholas enjoyed looking at all the people and bright lights. He even got a free t-shirt, but it was a little big! He can’t wait ‘til next year!

45: The whole family took a trip up to Lake Tahoe for the weekend. We went rafting on Saturday. Nicholas liked looking at all the trees and water. He kept trying to get into the river and was sad he didn’t have his crab raft. We took a walk around the late and took in the city sites. He enjoyed crawling around the house and kept trying to get outsideand he figured in out several times. He enjoyed talking a the top of his lungs late at night, hanging out with Uncle Steve and J, and even had a bite of ice cream. Overall it was a very busy and enjoyable weekend! | Lake Tahoe | Sunday, September 28, 2008

46: Big Boy Snacks | Wednesday, October 1, 2009 | Nicholas is a big boy now and he has the snacks to prove it! After having a very strong gag reflex, Nicholas has decided that chunks are now ok. Not only can he eat small chunks, but big ones too. He even got some Cheerios and banana flavored wafer snacks. And he has no problem plopping them into his mouth! He loves the banana flavored ones! I guess we will have to get some more of those! Such a big boy!

47: Nicholas took his first train and BART trip from Davis to Nana’s. He enjoyed looking out the window and seeing all the people on the train. When we transferred to BART he took a nap so he didn’t experience the ride. Overall it was a great trip! | My first train ride | Friday, October 10, 2008

48: Alzheimer's Walk | Saturday, October 11, 2008 | On Saturday we went to Treasure Island for the Alzheimer’s walk. The say was cold, but very clear. We walked around the island for 3 miles. We had a bigger group this year with Steve, J, Grammie, Grandpa, Uncle Dave, Lucy, Matt, Eric and Nana all walking. We had a good time walking in remembrance of Papa.

49: We went to Caesar’s in San Francisco for Grannie’s birthday dinner. Nicholas enjoyed tasting some soup and he loved sharing some spaghetti! He also enjoyed having some birthday cake, although he still likes ice cream more! | Happy Birthday, Grannie | Monday, October 13, 2008

50: Oklahoma and Texas | Saturday, October 25, 2008 | Nicholas took another plane ride to Oklahoma. We went to Tulsa and Oklahoma City, but spent most of our time in the center and southern parts. We took a drive to Dallas, TX. It was really neat to see the entire state of OK. We saw some incredible things: armadillos, more trucks than we could count, very large Mc Cain for president posters, 2 prisons, and $2 gas! Dallas wasn’t too exciting, but I don’t think we knew where to go. Dallas reminded me of one big suburb and Oklahoma was pretty rural. Overall it was neat to see how life is in other parts of the country; and it showed us just how lucky we Californians are!

51: Last night we went to Tex Wasabi’s for Grandpa’s birthday dinner. The restaurant is owned by Guy from the food network. We had some great food, and Nicholas even enjoyed some culinary adventures. He enjoyed sucking on a rib bone, but that didn’t compare to the lemons he ate. He had at least 3 lemons and loved them! Go figure. | Grandpa's Birthday Dinner | Sunday, November 2, 2008

52: New Jersey | Saturday, October 11, 2008 | Nicholas took his 4th plane ride all the way across the country to New Jersey to see the NJ Bessers. The plane ride was OK, but we got stuck in Dallas for about 2 hours and toward the end it got a little hairy. But, overall he was pretty good. Our first day in NJ was similar in temperature to Northern Ca. It was nice to see all the fall leaves and trees. The entire clan took a trip to Parsippany, NJ and visited a Arts and Crafts/Mission style house. Famous mission style craftsman, Gustav Stickly, created the house. It was neat to see all the furniture and hear about all the accomplishments this man made. Nicholas is enjoying all the attention and loves how he always has someone to carry him around!

53: We took the train to New York City today from NJ. Nicholas enjoyed the train ride there. He was really curious and observant when we got to Penn Station. There were so many things to look at and people bustling about. We walked in the rain to a Chinese restaurant and had lunch. Nicholas had a taste of rice and veggies. After lunch we walked to Times Square. Nicholas really enjoyed all the lights and large screens with flashy pictures. We went to Toys R Us and he slept through the excitement. It was packed with people, but we still saw the large Ferris wheel inside and the full scale Barbie dream house. There were large Lego models of famous NY things (statue of liberty, etc). We then walked over to Hershey world. It was so packed we could barely move, but we were still able to savor the sweet smell of chocolate. We saw tons of taxis, walked through the fashion district and saw the home of Project Runway. It was a very exciting trip and we can’t wait to check it out again! | Times Square | Saturday, November 8, 2008

54: Chester, NJ | Monday, November 10, 2008 | Today the girls (minus Deb) went to Chester, NJ. Chester was a really neat small town with lots of little shops and restaurants. We did a little shopping and had lunch, and we also went to Alstede farms. Nicholas liked looking at the farm animals and was especially thrilled to see a cow! He also enjoyed the horses and looking at the pumpkins. He found one small one and tried to roll it like a ball. He even had a taste of some local cider, but he just let it spill all over. The day was a little cooler and very crisp (high of 50), and he enjoyed sticking his tongue out and letting the cool air touch it. Nicholas loved spending time with time with Deb (once we got home). She would play with him and carry him around. He liked to sit with her, especially if she had a book! He also really liked Auntie Cheryl. He would crawl over to her and give her a smile and she would scoop him up. He loved it!

55: On Veteran’s Day, Nicholas and I took the train into New York City for our own adventure. We rode the subway to SOHO. Nicholas loved the subway- the sounds, people and the fast trains. We walked over to NYU to get Uncle J a t-shirt and while we waited for the bookstore to open we sat in Washington Square Park. We next walked back to SOHO and went into several shops and took in the sites. It was neat to see how different and more “lived in” it felt than uptown. 5th Avenue was our next stop. Back on the subway we went and then off to the shopping Mecca, 5th Avenue. We saw Radio City Music Hall and Rockefeller center and the famous ice skating rink. We walked passed all of the big stores and went into a few. There was even a Veteran’s Day parade where we saw Mayor Bloomberg. We went into FAO Schwartz and then got a pretzel in Central Park. Nicholas go to get out of his carrier and crawl around the park- he loved the leaves. Before we went back on our train we stopped at Magnolia bakery for a cupcake.and they were delicious! Nicholas loved all the people and the bustle of the city, but I was happy to get back. He might be a city boy later. | New York City Adventures | Tuesday, November 11, 2008

56: Home Sweet Home | Wednesday, November 12, 2008 | Time to go home. We had a great visit with the NJ Besser’s, but it was time to go home. Nicholas was a better flier on the trip home and slept through most of it. He was happy to get back home to his toys, doggies and Grammy and Grandpa.

57: Today Nicholas has his first hair cut. His hair was growing over his ears and he was sporting a it was about time. He went to this Children’s salon that looked like a circus inside. He had a before and after photo and got a certificate with a lock of hair on it. He didn’t seem to mind the experience except when he could find his hands under the drape. He started to freak out when he could find them. He looks like a little boy! Take a look at the photo page for more shots and an after shot. | My First Hair Cut | Wednesday, December 10, 2008

58: 1 year old | Friday, December 12, 2008 | Nicholas is 1! He has done a lot of things in his little life! He has been to 7 states, been on a boat, a raft, a train, the subway, ridden on an airplane 4 times. He loves books, sings in the car, loves to be held, is very fast on his knees and is a joy to watch!

59: For Nicholas’ first birthday we went to a family favorite, Fenton’s Creamery in Piedmont, CA. Nicholas loves ice cream, so this was an obvious choice. We had a big group there to celebrate: Aunt Kitty, Uncle Marty, Cousin Greg, Nana, Grannie, Auntie Mac, Grandpa, Grammy, Uncle J. Nicholas had his first sundae: vanilla with chocolate sauce. Nicholas decided that this was the right occasion to first start using a spoon! He ate almost the whole thing...even the cherry. He seemed to really love all the attention! When it came time for gifts he got a lot of great books (which he loves!). He also got a great truck from Auntie Mac and Co. He loves it! He knows how to use the steering wheel and has even figured out how to turn it around. He is sure to start walking soon after using this toy!! | Party time at Fenton's | Saturday, December 13, 2008

60: Vacation Time | Sunday, December 21, 2008 | We’re here in sunny San Juan, Puerto Rico.- Day 1 of our big Christmas vacation! We came in on the 20th with a bumpy start. Nana and I lost our luggage, James flight was delayed and he didn’t arrive until Sunday evening, and the Wilkinson’s flight was delayed as well. We did get a change to see a little of San Juan in the morning. We walked around Old San Juan and took in the beautiful views of the water. It was nice to be in sunny, warm weather. We got on the ship around 2 pm. Nicholas and I shared a room with Grannie. We had a window and Nicholas loved looking out and seeing the water. The day was so busy that Nicholas feel asleep in his high chair at dinner. He woke up to go to the first show with the famous Johnny Thunder. Nicholas loved the singing and dancing. We, thankfully got our luggage that night, and were ready for the next day at sea!

61: Today was our one and only day at sea. We started it with a trip to the buffet. At Nicholas’ 1-year check up, I was told that he should start weaning off formula and start eating regular food. I thought this was the perfect chance to do that. He can try lots of things and I don’t have to make it! Nicholas loves pasta!! I think he ate it at least once a day. We went to play Bingo with Nana, Grannie, Lindsey and Eric. Unfortunately no one won any money! We walked the ship and hung out with the family. Today was low key and gave us the perfect chance to get accustomed to the 4-hour time difference. That evening was our first formal night. Nicholas wore his suit and tie. He was a hit! Everyone loved his outfit. It was a busy busy day! | Day at Sea | Monday, December 22, 2008

62: Barbados | Tuesday, December 23, 2008 | Barbados! The first part of the day Nicholas spent with “Great” Auntie Kay and Lindsey. Steve, Dad and I went snorkeling. We saw sea turtles and explored a shipwreck from 1912. Nicholas stayed on the boat and went to the pool. He loves the water!! When I got back we laid outside by the pool and watched The Christmas Story on the big movie screen. After lunch we went with Mom, Dad and Lindsey off the boat to walk around. The water is crystal clear and turquoise blue and the sand is powdery white. The city was bustling with people. After dinner we went to the show, and it featured a mentalist. Nicholas was captivated, but I was sure it was a scam. Nicholas’ first international experience proved to be a hit.

63: Today Nicholas and I both went on excursions. Lindsey and I went on a canopy zip line and challenge course tour about an hour from our port. While I was zip lining through the rain forest, Nicholas was learning abut Batik art and how rum is made. For Christmas Eve we dressed up again and everyone sang Christmas carols. When we got back to our room we even had Christmas stockings on our bed. | St. Lucia | Wednesday, December 24, 2008

64: Antigua | Thursday, December 25, 2008 | Merry Antigua! The Wilkinson’s and Besser’s went snorkeling, but unfortunately the sea had little we just swam. Nicholas spent the morning with Nana and Grannie on the boat. He did some swimming himself on the ship. After lunch we took a stroll around town. We finished the day with the usual dinner and ship walk around.

65: Today was our one and only day at sea. We started it with a trip to the buffet. At Nicholas’ 1-year check up, I was told that he should start weaning off formula and start eating regular food. I thought this was the perfect chance to do that. He can try lots of things and I don’t have to make it! Nicholas loves pasta!! I think he ate it at least once a day. We went to play Bingo with Nana, Grannie, Lindsey and Eric. Unfortunately no one won any money! We walked the ship and hung out with the family. Today was low key and gave us the perfect chance to get accustomed to the 4-hour time difference. That evening was our first formal night. Nicholas wore his suit and tie. He was a hit! Everyone loved his outfit. It was a busy busy day! | Day at Sea | Monday, December 22, 2008

66: Tortola | Friday, December 26, 2008 | Today we went to Tortola, British Virgin Islands. Where we docked was on the other side of the island than our beach excursion, so we took an open air taxi over the mountain to the other side. It was a great way to see the island and see the spectacular views. We went to the beach where we played in the sand, swam and played cards. Steve and J buried Nicholas in the sand. He liked putting his life jacket on and swimming in the ocean. He never wants to get out of the water! After our day at the beach we took a very scary ride back over the mountain to our ship. We did the usual dinner and ship activities.

67: Today we were back in the US on St. Thomas, US Virgin Island. We took at water taxi over to the shopping district on the Island and spent the day browsing through shops and open-air tents. There was lots of people and lots of stores. Most of the stores were jewelry or watch shops, but we did find a place that sold t-shirts. We all wore our “Cliff’s Crew” t-shirts and looked like a dorky tour group. St. Thomas is very pretty and the water is beautiful. After returning to the ship it was time to pack and get ready to go home. | St. Thomas | Saturday, December 27, 2008

68: San Juan and then Home | Sunday, December 28, 2008 | Today was a long day! We started at 630, so we could eating in the dining room one last time. After breakfast we had to go to our “station” to wait to get off the ship. After several hours we were finally allowed to get off and go through customs, etc. We got to the airport at noon and began the long wait for our flight at 5. Needless to say that is a long time for a baby in an airport and Nicholas was not too happy. We finally arrived in San Francisco at 130 am and we all were pooped! We were exhausted. but had a good time!

69: This year has been filled with many changes, lots of adventures and tons of joy.

Sizes: mini|medium|large|gargantuous
Default User
  • By: Erin B.
  • Joined: almost 8 years ago
  • Published Mixbooks: 2
No contributors

About This Mixbook

  • Title: 2007-2008
  • Nicholas' notes up to Dec. '08
  • Tags: None
  • Started: almost 8 years ago
  • Updated: over 7 years ago