Get up to 50% Off + 10% Off! Code: MIX18 Ends: 5/21 Details

  1. Help
Get up to 50% Off + 10% Off! Code: MIX18 Ends: 5/21 Details

Autobiography of Robert W. Driscoll Vol 1

Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.

Autobiography of Robert W. Driscoll Vol 1 - Page Text Content

1: Autobiography of Robert W. Driscoll In Twenty Volumes Volume 1 "In the Beginning" | An account of Dad's childhood, in his own words, presented to his children on Christmas Day 1993, in Vermont. Lovingly transcribed by Linda, with corrections of a few misspelled words and a changed format to include pictures. December 2011

3: December 11, 1926, the earth was changed forever. One of the greatest historical events since the formation of the Universe occurred . . . Robert W. Driscoll, l'enfant terrible, saw the light of day at Hollywood's Olmstead Memorial Hospital, located at Sunset Boulevard and Vermont Avenue in Los Angeles, California. Ironically, all of Driscoll's four children were to be born in the same hospital, and even more ironically, Driscoll was to spend the Sunset of his life in Vermont. Bob's mother, Bernardine, was the daughter of Patrick Henry Kane who had been a worker in the Anaconda Copper Mines in Butte, Montana when Bernardine was born. Due to Patrick's involvement with the union, he was disfavored by the Anaconda Company, which was anti-union, so he eventually left and went to San Francisco looking for work. Patrick Henry Kane, his wife, Mary Maloney Kane and his three daughters - Helen, Dolores and Bernardine, were all living in San Francisco on April 18, 1906, when the ground started trembling, buildings started shaking, and the Great San Francisco Earthquake hit. The Kane apartment building was destroyed, along with hundreds of other structures, not so much by the earthquake as by the ensuing fire. Bernardine used to tell her children later about how she and her family had to live in a tent city in the San Francisco cemetery for many months while the city was rebuild. She told of how water had to be carried in buckets for great distances, how cooking was done in the open, and how the people suffered in the rain and cold. Thievery was rampant, and stories were told of women whose fingers were chopped off while they slept so that thieves could quickly steal their rings. Anyway, Patrick soon took his family to Portland, Oregon, where he became a building contractor, and was very much involved in the construction of Timberline Lodge on Mount Hood in Oregon, a famous resort area. Patrick's wife, Mary, died in the terrible influenza epidemic in 1918.

5: Bob Driscoll's two brothers, John Timothy and Richard Kane Driscoll, had both been born in Portland, Oregon, where their father, John Timothy Driscoll, was an assistant District Attorney in Multnoamah County, Oregon. The senior Driscoll's seventeen-year-old bride, Mary Bernardine Kane Driscoll, was the youngest of the three beautiful Kane girls - the belles of Portland. The oldest Kane girl, Helen, had married Robert Ellis Bering, a dashing former Naval Aviator, engineering graduate of the University of California at Berkeley and, by the mid-1920's a successful petroleum engineer and entrepreneur, having been involved with Samuel Mosher in the development of the famous Signal Hill Oilfield in Long Beach, California. Helen persuaded Bob Bering to offer attorney John T. Driscoll a job, probably so that Helen could be closer to her sister, Bernardine. The result was that attorney John T. Driscoll and his family moved to Los Angeles in the early 1920's, where Driscoll earned the princely retainer of $500 per month working for Bering. When Robert W. Driscoll was born, he was named Robert after his uncle Robert Bering, and his middle name, William, was for John's brother, Bill Driscoll, who was starting his own large family in Oregon. John, Bernardine and their three boys lived in a home in the then-new development of Carthay Center, on Del Valle Drive, just West of Fairfax and just South of Wilshire Boulevard. When he was about six-months-old, the infant, Bob Driscoll, was thrown out of a window, and landed unharmed into the arms of his mother when a fire severely damaged the Driscoll home, apparently being caused by a careless smoker who let a burning cigarette fall into a couch in the living room. John Driscoll, who had rheumatic fever as a child and had developed his strength through running, had been a varsity miler on the Notre Dame track team and who ran several miles a day, developed a heart problem known as bacterio-endocarditis, a disease which in today's world can easily be cured with penicillin. However, in the mid-1920's penicillin was unknown, and the senior Driscoll died in April 1928, when Bob Driscoll was only seventeen-months-old. Because of his young age at his father's death, Bob Driscoll has no recollection whatsoever of his father.

9: There was some life insurance money, however, and Bernardine moved, with her three children, into a small house on Beachwood, near Melrose, so as to be nearer her sister, Helen Bering and her family, who lived in a large home on Plymouth Boulevard, in Los Angeles. By the end of 1929, Bernardine moved again into a small house on Drexel, just West of Fairfax, near what is today the Farmer's Market. The stock crash of 1929 and the resultant depression left Bernardine and her family in dire straits after the insurance money ran out. Bering's oil empire suffered financial reverses and Bernardine was obliged to "take in laundry" - that is, wash and iron other people's clothes - for a living. Young Bob remembers the early 1930's dimly, and among those memories he recalls his brother Richard selling magazines to add money to the family teapot. He recalls an unfinished office building, rising about six stories, at the corner of Drexel and Fairfax, which stood for years as a steel framework, with no work being done to finish it, because the developer went broke in the crash. He recalls that there was an airfield near La Brea Pits, and that the airfield also served annually as the site for the Barnum and Bailey Circus. He recalls his brother, Dick, being caught trying to sneak into the circus by crawling under the tent. Bob entered grammar school kindergarten at Carthay Circle School, in September 1931, at age 4. His teacher was Mrs. Donald, and he recalls being made to take daily naps on his wooden desk, while the other members of the kindergarten class lay down on their desks also. Ridiculous, because nobody could sleep while lying down on that hard wood and trying to keep from falling off. The big event was the Carthay Circle Carnival, an annual affair, with all the usual carnival attractions. There was an occasion, when Bob was about five, when Bob's brother Tim took him to the carnival and Tim's girlfriend, Eldean Hulbert, also took her little sister, Gail Alice. The occasion was not too earthshaking, because neither Bob nor Gail remember meeting each other there.

13: In searching Driscoll's memory for events or facts which might conceivably be of interest, Bob conjured up the following recollections of his stay at the Drexel address: The iceman used to come weekly with a large old panel truck with huge wheels. His truck had a large block of ice, perhaps ten feet long and five feet wide, in the back covered by dripping burlap sacks. He had a leather skirt over his right shoulder that fastened to his belt front and back, on which he supported the cake of ice he would chop from the huge ice-cake in his truck, and he would carry the smaller cake into the Driscoll kitchen where it would fit into the icebox (refrigerators hadn't been invented yet). On summer days, the big thrill was to meet the iceman in the side driveway as he was chopping from the huge ice-block, and get shards and slivers of ice to suck on. The ice he put in the icebox weighed perhaps fifty pounds, and would keep for about a week in the icebox, if the door was always kept closed, and then the iceman would return. Other street vendors included the bakery driver, later to be replaced by the Helms man, whose truck had shelves full of delicious goodies, which Driscoll's mother would order sparingly. Also, the vegetable and fruit vendor would come by with his large truck with sides which would lift up to make awnings, and Driscoll's mother would pick and choose from the stacks of fruits and vegetables. Milk was delivered to the back door step about dawn every day. The newsboy would drag his box full of newspapers on wheels, down the middle of the street hollering "Examiner-Times. Extra! Extra! Read all about it! Examiner-Times" (he sold both the Hearst L.A. Examiner and the Chandler L.A. Times). A rag-man had a horse drawn carriage and he would come down the street collecting or selling rags. The knife sharpener had a big three-wheeled bicycle with a grindstone and other cutlery implements in a doghouse sized box, which he would open up and use a foot treadle to turn the wheel as he ground and sharpened Driscoll's mother's knives. World War I had ended only fifteen or twenty years earlier, and a lot of the kids Driscoll's age were the children of veterans of World War I, and those veterans, who had bested the Germans in the trenches of the Argonne Forest and Chaâteau Thierry, had brought back from France many souvenirs of their wartime service; helmets, flags, sabers, bayonets, medals and other paraphernalia. The kids in the neighborhood, having no television to look at (it hadn't been invented yet) spent a great deal of their time digging trenches and making dugout caves in the many vacant lots in the neighborhood, then engaging in "wars" by hurling dirt and grass clods at the "enemy". Driscoll recalls crawling around on his stomach in the mustard grass looking for a "German soldier", whose part was played by Harold Godshall, or on occasion, Jack Gibson.

15: The big event was on Saturday, when the Driscoll kids got to go to the Fox Wilshire Theater on Wilshire near Robertson, to watch the serials. The serials included - besides the futuristic Buck Rogers (payed by Buster Crabbe) and Flash Gordon (played by Buster Crabbe look-alike) - many cowboy and Indian serials, including Hopalong Cassidy, Tom Mix, Ken Maynard, Buck Jones, Hoot Gibson and others. To keep the kids coming back for the next week's thriller, each episode ended with the hero (heroine) dangling perilously from a cliff, as the bad guys were approaching, or some other horrible quandary that seemed impossible of solution. Soon, Bernardine was again obliged, by reason of dwindling finances, to sell her house on Drexel and to move again, this time to a smaller house on Fourth Street in the same neighborhood. This house only had two bedrooms, however, so Bob Driscoll was sent to live with the Berings at their large house on Plymouth Boulevard. It was there, in March 1933, that Bob remembers running naked from the second floor bathtub downstairs and into the front lawn, and standing, shivering among the rosebushes, during the severe earthquake known as the Long Beach Quake. Because he lived in the Third Street School District when he lived with the Berings, Bob went to Third Street School for one year, the First Grade, and his teacher was Mrs. Cruise. One of the friends he made then was Dean Milligan. Unbeknownst to him, his bride-to-be, Gail Alice Hulbert, was in the same grade, but in a different room, just a few doors away from Mrs. Cruise's room. Bernardine decided she wanted Bob to return to school at Carthay Circle, so the Berings engaged a private bus service to take Bob to school from Plymouth Boulevard, a distance of about 4 miles. Several other youngsters were in the same bus, including Sally Sutch and Ann Dorner (both of whom later were bridesmaids in the marriage of Gail Hulbert to Bob Driscoll). In the afternoon, when school was over, Bob would ride from Wilshire and Fairfax back to Wilshire and Plymouth on the Wilshire bus, a double-decker, like those in London. | From L to R: Front: Marihelen Bering, Bob Driscoll, Back: Tim Driscoll, Bob Bering Jr., Dick Driscoll.

17: The days Bob spent in the Bering household were a mixture of fun, chaos and some tension. Bob Bering's son, Bob Bering, Jr., was a problem child, with health problems, tantrums and fits, and was constantly in trouble. Bob Bering's daughter, Marihelen, was about a year younger than Bob Driscoll, and had health problems also. The Berings had a fine hunting dog, an English Pointer, named Spotty. There was a child clubhouse built in the Bering backyard, for young Bob Bering but used by Bob Driscoll as well as the other two Driscoll kids when visiting. There was a wooden doorstep with the initials "R.E.B." set in nails on it. The emblem was about 7 inches wide. One day, a business associate of Bob Bering's named Tommy Adams took the two Bering children and the three Driscoll children to the landing site of the Goodyear Blimp, near La Brea Pits, and they all boarded the blimp for a ride over Los Angeles. The pilot was told to head for the Bering house, and after he located it, was urged to Tommy to drop lower and lower. Eventually, we saw Spotty running in the backyard, and as we got closer we could hear him barking over the noise of the propellers. We kept dropping lower and lower until we could see the "R.E.B." nail head on the clubhouse doorstep - that means we must have been within fifty feet of the ground, or barely above the telephone wires.

19: Tommy Adams was one of six children of Edward Thomas Adams and Mary Boeschen Adams. There were four girls, Adelaide, Roah, Helen and another (Marion Roberta). Tommy also had a younger brother, Ernest Edward Adams. The senior Adams was a successful engineer, serving on the faculty at Stanford in the early part of the twentieth century after a successful engineering career in Wisconsin. Tommy Adams grew up in or near Madison, Wisconsin (201 Twelfth St., Milwaukee City), and was a proficient sports enthusiast, being an excellent golfer, as well as an avid ice-boater on the many nearby lakes. Tommy, however, was not much of a student. He flunked out of the University of Wisconsin, then went to Marquette, a Catholic college, where he was kicked out after being caught in th following prank: He lit a bunch of firecrackers at the top of a three-floor circular staircase, threw the exploding firecrackers in the air, and ran downstairs as fast as he could hoping to reach the bottom of the stairway before the firecrackers got there, thus being able (he thought) to avoid blame for setting off the firecrackers. He made two errors of judgment however: he forgot about the law of gravity which says bodies fall at an increasing velocity, and second, he didn't realize that he, the firecrackers, and the Monsignor would all arrive at the foot of the stairs at the same time. He also was requested to depart from Duquesne University after some similar occasion. Bob Driscoll got to know Tommy Adams because Adams and Bob Bering Sr. had many business dealings and Tommy, a bachelor, was attracted to Bernardine Driscoll, a young, attractive widow. Tommy also liked taking Bernardine's three boys to sporting events and playing various athletic games with them. Unfortunately, Bobby Driscoll was not able to participate in many active sports, because of his health. However, Bob Driscoll was not stupid, and spent a lot of time reading. He was given some tests, and by the beginning of the Third Grade was placed in a special class, called the "Opportunity Room", which supposedly had bright students in it. The teacher was Mrs. Bobbitt. Bob remembers that one of these "bright students", John Fall, teased Mrs. Bobbitt by climbing out the second floor window and hanging by the window ledge so that she would think he was absent, and then he would crawl back into the room and return to his seat while her back was turned.

21: Bob Driscoll got to know Tommy Adams because Adams and Bob Bering Sr. had many business dealings and Tommy, a bachelor, was attracted to Bernardine Driscoll, a young, attractive widow. Tommy also liked taking Bernardine's three boys to sporting events and playing various athletic games with them. Unfortunately, Bobby Driscoll was not able to participate in many active sports, because of his health. However, Bob Driscoll was not stupid, and spent a lot of time reading. He was given some tests, and by the beginning of the Third Grade was placed in a special class, called the "Opportunity Room", which supposedly had bright students in it. The teacher was Mrs. Bobbitt. Bob remembers that one of these "bright students", John Fall, teased Mrs. Bobbitt by climbing out the second floor window and hanging by the window ledge so that she would think he was absent, and then he would crawl back into the room and return to his seat while her back was turned. The Opportunity Room was divided into Lower and Upper Classes. Bob started with Mrs. Bobbitt in the Lower grade room, and when he entered the Fourth Grade he went to a new Opportunity Room with a new teacher: Mrs. Tierney. The Opportunity Room gave the students a chance to develop their talents to the fullest. It also exposed the students to advanced learning opportunities, which might not otherwise be encountered until much later in ones' education. For instance, in the Fifth Grade, Bob played Mark Anthony in Shakespeare's "Julius Caesar", and had to learn the "Friends, Romans, Countrymen, Lend me your ears" speech from beginning to end. Dick Gold (later to become president of Barker Brothers Department Stores) played Brutus. Bob's other friends at that school included John Fall, T. Carter Sharp, Brian Bell, Fred Flam, Patty Gregorson, and several more. Carter Sharp, Fred Flam and Bob Driscoll were "co-publishers" of a one-page Opportunity Room newspaper called the "Whippersnapper Blah". Fred was science editor, Carter was sports editor, and Bob wrote about current affairs and provided humor. The paper's maximum circulation was 27, which, coincidently was the number of students in the Upper Opportunity Room.

23: Eventually, about 1935, Bob moved back to live with his mother and his two brothers on Fourth Street. He would walk to school at Carthay Center, a distance of about one mile, and cross Wilshire Boulevard under the watchful eye of "Tony the Cop, a 6' 6" regular LAPD policemean. In those days, police served as crossing guards. Barnardine scraped the money together to give young Bob piano lessons, since Bernardine still had the piano that aws salvaged from the Del Valle Avenue fire. Fortunately, Bob's piano teacher lived right next door on Fourth Street, so it was easy to get to the lessons. Physically, Bob was a runt, since he had asthma, which kept him bedridden for weeks at a time. He could not go out and engage in heavey, athletic play in the yard without beginnign to wheeze noisily in a few minutes, and since there was no medicine (such as today's Primatene mist) then in existence, the only way to stop the wheezing was to put Bob in bed and let him stay there until the wheezing stopped, shich somtimes took two weeks. Bernardine also took young Bob weekly to have "shots", which were arm injections by a doctor of anti-allergens. Eventually, Bob's upper arm looked like a well-worn pincushion. Among other drawbacks of having asthma was the fact the Bob's diet was highly restriceted. He couldn't eat anything with eggs or flour in it. He couldn't eat sweets. He couldn't eat cream. He coun't eat most protiens. This meant his usuall dinner was comprised of carrots or opeas, fish and dried crackers, know as hardtack. It also meant that when Bob went to one of his friend's birthday parties, he had to sist and watch the other kids enjoy their cake and ice cream while Bob ate his hardtack. One day, about 1935, as Bob was laying in his bed trying to recuperate from an sthma attack, Tommy Adams came over and sad, "Bob, I want yo to get dressed and go out in the yard and play as hard as you can." This astounded Bob, who knoew it would make his asthma worse, butr he did as bid. In a few minutes, he returned to the house wheezing badly. At that point, Tommy Adams produced a vaporizer, pured some medication in it and had Bob inhale the vapor. In a matter of seconds, the weheezes miraculously stopped, and Bob was able to breathe normally. From then on, Bob's life took a decided upward direction. He was able to play games at school that he had previously only been able to watch: kickball, baseball, and other sports. TommAdams was a real sports enthusiast, adn had young Bob learn golgf, swimming and riding. Tommy Adams took Bob to all kinds of sporting events, and exposed young Bob to a whole new world. Among other events that Bob wintessed were: "TThe 1932 Olympic Games at teh L.A. Memorial Coliseum, the Los Angeles Angles playing at Wrigley Field in downtown Los Angeles; the L.A. Air Races at Mines Field and at Domingues; the auto races at Ascot Speedway; USC football games from 1933 onward; ice hockey at Pan Olympic Arena; horse races at Santa Anita Park; track meets at teh Coliseum; equestrian events at Flintridge; and numerous other special events. Tommy also took Bob out deep-sea fishing off the coast of Newport Beach, where the tuna, albacore, marlin and bass were plentiful. Tommy took young Bob on numerous dove and quail hunting trips, and youong Bob learned how to shoot skeet, then birds, befvbefore he was 10-years-old.

25: The Berings had a great ranch at DeLuz, California, near Fallbrook in San Diego County, and the Bering family and the Driscolls would spend every summer there. Besides the ranch house, which could sleep about 15 people, there was a caretaker's house, a large barn, a reservoir on top of a hill, and several other buildings. The ranch had a grove of lemons, oranges and avocados. In addition, Bering raised pigs, kept a small herd of producing milk cows (both Guernseys and Jerseys), and maintained a large chicken coop and hen house, which supplied plenty of fresh eggs. In addition to Leghorn chicken for meat, Bering had a flock of turkeys and guinea hens. The crops raised included golden bantam corn, peas, asparagus, artichoke, eggplant, and peanuts. In addition, there was a truck garden, which supplied miscellaneous vegetables, lettuce and such. The thick cream from the dairy herd was often made into great homemade ice cream, which involved a lot of cranking of the ice cream maker. Barbecues were often held in the oak grove next to the main house, and after the dozens of ears of hot buttered corn had been devoured, the Driscoll kids and the Bering kids would have a traditional corncob battle, hurling cobs back and forth. Rattlesnakes were plentiful at various times of the year, and whenever one of the kids spotted one, Bering Sr. was called and he would bring his shotgun and take care of the rattlesnake by blowing its head off. Then the kids would watch the headless snake body wriggle and contort for hours, the legend being that it would continue to do so until it got dark. Nobody stayed outside that late, however, to find out if the legend was true. Other wildlife on the ranch included squirrels, porcupines, skunks, coyotes and foxes. One day, Bob Bering Jr. got too close to a skunk, which squirted him head to toe. Young Bering had to be bathed twice a day for a week before the smell was gone. His clothes were washed repeatedly, and still stank, so they were burned, and still smelled, so they were buried. Spotty, the bird dog, was great at flushing quail and also retrieving shot doves. He was also a great dog with the kids. The kids used to find tarantulas in the dirt, and try to line two or three up on a dirt road for tarantula races. These usually ended in failure, because when the tarantulas were released they would all move off in different directions. Another ranch sport was the holding of "Junior Olympic Games", with high jumping over a bamboo crossbar, pole-vaulting, sprint races, hurdle races jumping over orange crates strategically placed on the road, and shot-puts throwing heavy stones for distance. Bob Driscoll, being the smallest boy, was usually last in every event, or else he got asthma and couldn't finish. Moreover, the Bering family included Bob Driscoll in many of their activities, since Bob Bering, Jr. was close to Driscoll's age and the Berings felt that Bob Bering Jr. needed a playmate. These activities included a 3-week trip to Canim Lake in British Columbia, where the trout fishing was fabulous. One time the two young boys and a guide rode on horseback all day to a roaring waterfall in the deep woods, where the waterfall was so high the trout could not jump it. The boys would cast their flies into the foam at the base of the falls and instantly hook a two-pound rainbow. After only a half-hour or so of fishing, the boys had caught enough trout to feed the whole Bering entourage trout for breakfast, lunch and dinner for three days straight.

27: Tommy Adams had a very good friend named Bob Cobb, who built and ran three successful restaurants known as the Brown Derby Restaurants. One such restaurant, on Wilshire near Normandie, was built in the shape of a derby hat. The main restaurant, on Vine near Hollywood Boulevard, was frequented by numerous movie stars, and the walls were covered with sketches of the faces of many famous stars. Tommy, being a gourmand, introduced the Driscoll boys to the pleasures of fine dining. Eventually, Bob Cobb (who created the now-famous Cobb Salad) formed a syndicate to start a baseball team at Gilmore Field known as the Hollywood Stars, and Tommy, being an original investor, had a front row box with eight seats, immediately adjacent to the box of the Club's owner, Bob Cobb, which was located at the dugout steps where Bob Cobb could congratulate (or encourage) his players as they returned to the dugout or left it to begin the next inning. Bob Driscoll used to go to the baseball games with Tommy every weekend and on many weeknights when the Hollywood Stars were in town. He got to know many of the players, and also met many of Bob Cobb's friends. One friend of Bob Cobb whom Bob Driscoll liked very much was William Frawley, a character actor who was then mostly playing the roles of detective or police officer in gangster movies. Years later, Bill Frawley would become famous (and rich) playing the role of Fred Mertz in the long-running "I Love Lucy" TV series.

29: Tommy Adams and Bob Bering, Sr. used to belong to La Grulla Gun Club, South of Ensenada, Mexico, and several times took young Bob Driscoll with them on quail hunting trips there. That is how young Bob got to know about La Grulla, which he joined as a member many years later (in 1974) with the help of Jimmy O'Donnell and Elaine Prudhon O'Donnell. Rich Driscoll was a funny, happy bother, with lots of friends. He was always in the middle of things, acting many different parts, and had a great speaking voice. he wanted to be a radio announcer. Bob's other brother, Tim, was more serious but also had many friends.

31: In about 1937 (12 August 1936), Tommy Adams married Bernardine K. Driscoll in St. Mary's Church in San Francisco. That was the church that Bernardine had attended when she was a little girl. Tim, Rich and Bob attended the wedding as ushers. On their honeymoon, the newlywed Mr. and Mrs. T.E. Adams traveled to Chicago to visit Tommy's good friend, Alfred M. Rogers, a prominent Chicago attorney, and then to Detroit, where Tommy and Bernardine bought a new Cadillac at the Detroit factory and drove it across country back to California, stopping at Salt Lake City, Utah, to meet young Bob Driscoll, who had traveled solo by passenger train from Los Angeles to meet them. Then they all drove to the Grand Canyon, where they rode horses to the bottom of the canyon and back. On the way to Salt Lake, Bob remembers getting off the train at Santa Fe, New Mexico, to look at Indian turquoise wares, and the train started up without him. He ran to try to catch the train, and the conductor, whom he had befriended, reached down from the train door platform and grabbed him just as the train's speed was about to accelerate faster than Bob could run.

33: Tommy and Bernardine moved to a new home at 364 south Citrus, Los Angeles, which was in teh John Burroughs Junior High School District. Bob rode the bus back and forth to Carthay Circle Grammar School for his last year there. Bob was raised as a Catholiic, and attended Cathedral Chapel Church on La Brea Avenue between Wishire adn Olympic Boulevards. One of his classmates in confirmation class was Patti Mattes, who used to sit with Bob in teh back row of the upper choir level of the church during Mass, where they would play tic-tac-toe and mumbly-peg, instead of reading from teh Catechism. Bob was not very heavy into religion. During catechism class, he kept asking the priest-teacher how God made the Earth in six days and nights, wahat equipment he used, etc., until finally Bob was sent out to the hallway, where he was apparently expected to stand until class ended an hour later. Bob didn't break stride, butr just kept walking until he got home. Bernardine finally got the priests to re-admit Bob in time to be confirmed, at age 12, as a Catholic, at which time he took a pledge not to drink or smoke until age 18, which he kept. Patti Mattes happened to have a good friend named Gail Hulbert, and they had been classmates all through grammar school at Third Street School at June Street adn Third. Gail and Patti were the fastest runners in their class, and could out sprint Bertram "Bab" Schneider, who alter at L.A. High was to be a two-year All-City Football tailback and outstanding sprinter on the L.A. High track team. Pattie was also good friends with Marihelen Bering.

35: When Bob Driscoll graduated from Carthay Center Grammar School, he started in the B-7 at John Burroughs Junior Hight School, located at McCadden Place and Sixth Street in Los Angeles. Unbeknownst to him, Eldean Hulbert, her father and mother, Donald and Vivian Hulbert, and Eldean's sister, Gail, had, several years earlier, and before Gail entered kindergarten, also moved from the Carthay District to 411 South Orange Drive, just two blocks from Tommy and Bernardine Adams' new home. Gail used to walk to school by going East on Fourth Street to McCadden, then South on McCadden to John Burroughs. This route took her right past Bob Driscoll's house, which had a big bay window facing Fourth Street. Bob Driscoll often saw Gail walking to school past his house. Bob and his new friend, Roger Craddock, who lived across the street from Bob on Citrus, used to walk home from school together, and often saw Gail walking home. Gail was very reserved, and didn't pay much attention to Bob. So they really didn't know each other during the Seventh Grade. In eight Grade, Bob took Latin from Miss Reppy, and sat next to a friend named Lucian Vandergrift. Lucian had a crush on Gail. One day, in class, Lucian, instead of doing his Latin, was drawing a penciled picture of a girl's profile. Bob asked him who the picture was supposed to be, and Lucian said, "Gail Hulbert". Bob, who was a pretty good artist, said to Lucian, "You've got her nose all wrong. Let me fix it." Lucian handed the drawing to Bob, who erased the girl's nose and drew it the right way, so it really looked like Gail. Lucian looked at Bob a little differently from then on, and they weren't such good friends after that. Also, Bob began noticing Gail a lot more, and, when following her home from a respectful distance behind her, be began to think a lot about Gail. By the middle of the Eighth Grade, Bob was dancing with Gail at Elisa Ryan Dancing School, and he rally liked her. By the Ninth Grade, he was asking her to dance with him at the dances held at the school gym. By the time they graduated from Junior High, Bob had a real crush on Gail.

Sizes: mini|medium|large|behemoth
Default User
  • By: Linda C.
  • Joined: over 6 years ago
  • Published Mixbooks: 0
No contributors

About This Mixbook

  • Title: Autobiography of Robert W. Driscoll Vol 1
  • Theme for Mixbook Scrapbookers
  • Tags: None
  • Started: over 6 years ago
  • Updated: about 6 years ago