Up to 50% Off + 10% Off! Code: SPOOK Ends: 10/31 Details
  1. Help

Blank Canvas

Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.

Blank Canvas - Page Text Content

BC: Marcus Digby

FC: What have you learnt about technologies from the process of constructing this product?

1: as | a | AS Media Studies

2: From this project, personally I have learnt a lot about the technologies needed in order to create a film, as well as discovering the multiple similarities with the media world. I developed my skills on both the PC and Video Camera. I improved my ability to use Adobe Premiere Pro, the progam proved difficult to begin with but with experience building it became easier to understand and use. The use of the program enabled me to be more creative with how I wanted to edit our opening sequence. As a group we experimented a lot in the early stages of editing, we were able to do this in our preliminary task. We tried out many effects, we tried out sound bridges which added to continuity of the piece. We experimented with various brightnesses of each shot, making a shot more darker and gloomy to create more suspicious and suit the horror/thriller genre. We experimented with the speed of each shot, quickening the pace or slowing it down. Slowing it down created greater tension where as the increase of pace created a thrilling sequence, both in which suits our genre, this is effective and we took this in account. Editing to create certain effects is ideal for any film. changing the pace created these varied emotions. Pace is very important in our opening sequence for our film, this is due to the constant cross-cutting between two settings, pace was important as the chase was fast to create the thrilling atmosphere where as the detective scene looking through the photos was slow, this created suspense and unevenness. We learnt specific things during filming, this includes using the zoom on the video camera, to make the zoom look professional we discovered that by doing it slow and really smooth achieved the professional look. By doing it fast it made it look disjointed and blurry. I discovered this by zooming into a running tap and a saucepan with water being heated. This was originally going to be used in our sequence to build tension, however we did not use either of the pieces of footage.

4: In our title sequence we wanted to achieve the 'typewriter' for our title - 'Sticks & Stones', we could not achieve this through Adobe Premiere Pro so we had to research and find the effect elsewhere. By googling this we found a program called 'Screedbot' via a forum, I became familiar with this program as we originally was going to use this for all the titles until we preferred using the titles hand written. We did however use the website to achieve the typewriter effect for the title of the film, we saved it as a GIF file and then imported it into Adobe Premiere Pro. However we originally wanted to put the title on footage, but the title had a black background and it could bot be made transparent so we had to change our ideas and put the title onto an all black background. I learnt more about sound and music when it comes to adding it onto the timeline and for the sound to match the footage or be linked in anyway. We used a copyright and royalty free track from http://thesecession.bandcamp.com/track/ash and this came to a cost of 61p as it was converted from $1. Throughout the filming, as a group we experienced many difficulties with our shots, our first shooting was all to scrap as it was too dark. However we picked up many things in which we needed to improve and to look out for. We found out that there was a lot of background noise in the shots, which was not needed such as car sounds, we took this in account and filmed it in a more wilderness area of woods not close to any roads and an area prone to disturbance. However when filming once again this didn't wipe out the background noise completely as there was wildlife noise, yet we did not have too much problem with this as the loud footsteps and ambiance track covered this. We didn't encountered much technological problems, just problems with actors not having spare time or when filming on a different day the weather would be completely different. We had to go along with continuity for our opening sequence. It showed our group to be patient even though there were deadlines to meet. As we could not film during darkness at night as the camera quality was poor, we had to overcome this by filming in the daytime. The common convention of a horror film is for it to be set at night as this is the prime time for a murderer to attack and remain unknown. However by filming in daylight, we believed this would prove the murderer to be more worrying as he could strike during the day where everyone feels more safe and remain unknown and leave people questioning are we ever safe. We did not know ourselves what the murderers role will be later on in the film, however the dimness in the detectives room could be an answer for who the murderer could be. Overall I believe I improved my abilities in this task, achieving a better understanding of technology used in order to achieve an opening sequence.

Sizes: mini|medium|large|huge
Default User
  • By: marcus d.
  • Joined: over 4 years ago
  • Published Mixbooks: 1
No contributors

About This Mixbook

  • Title: Blank Canvas
  • Theme for Mixbook Scrapbookers
  • Tags: None
  • Published: over 4 years ago

Get up to 50% off
Your first order

Get up to 50% off
Your first order