Get up to 50% Off + MORE! Code: MML18 Ends: 5/28 Details

  1. Help
Get up to 50% Off + MORE! Code: MML18 Ends: 5/28 Details

Nana's book

Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.

Nana's book - Page Text Content

FC: Millie At 100

4: Mary Mildred Hurlburt was born to Mary Charlotte Amirault and Melbourne James Hurlburt on August 3, 1916. Millie is the baby in the picture. Edward and Agnes are also pictured. | CHILDHOOD

5: Mildred’s siblings are as follows in birth order: Edward Hurlburt (deceased. Had 6 children.) Elizabeth Agnes Buckley, Bertha Hurlburt (died as a baby of SIDS), Mildred MacIsaac, Harold James Hurlbert, Muriel Gillooly (deceased), Walter Hurlburt, Evelyn (deceased), Helen Caldwell, Alfred Peter Hurlburt(deceased), Robert Hurlburt (deceased), and Peggy Brack.

6: When asked about her childhood Nana states, “kids were stilted, and were always told to be quiet. They were not as free as they are today.” “When I look back on pictures, we were dressed so poorly. The hats and coats were so poor in a family of 11, we had only the necessities in life.” “You would eat what you were given at the table. You didn’t ask for more or anything different. We had soup all of the time. I don’t like soup now because of it.” | She and a few siblings use their middle name as their first. Mildred is also known as: Millie, Mom, or Nana.

7: When asked how she spent her time as a child, Nana stated, “We were outdoors all of the time. My mother would say, ‘Go outside and play’.” “We had no TV, no radio, and no toys.” When pressed on the toy issue. She said “Well we might have had a rag doll or something that we shared, but nothing that was special enough for me to remember.” | Nana said with so many kids in the family, “we just existed”. “We went from one day to the next”. They didn’t travel very much. They would go as a family to her aunt and uncle's home in Stoneham by street car and they thought that was wonderful! They did not own a car.

8: She does not recall any special present at Christmas time. What she remembers the most are their Christmas stockings. There would always be an orange or apple (some piece of fruit) and a Coca-Cola. “Those were big treats back then”. As an older child, she was expected along with Agnes to be a caregiver to the younger children. Everyone had chores. Agnes cleaned the house. Nana did a lot of the cooking. She recalls peeling a whole peck of potatoes for dinner for the family. She expressed to me that she especially enjoyed cooking.

9: Millie's Education Millie explained she went to Minot Street School in Neponset. Then, in 10th grade through 12th grade she went to the Practical Arts High School in Roxbury. She took Home Economics, Domestic Science and graduated in 1933. She never thought about art when in high school. It wasn’t until she retired that she had the time to pursue art. She liked all of her teachers but there wasn’t any one teacher that stood out. During school, she thought she would like to be a dietician but no one encouraged her to go on to college. She said most women were expected to find a job and get married. She wanted to go to college so badly that she remembers crying the night of her graduation from high school. She made sure that when her children were growing up, she encouraged them to pursue their interests.

11: Nana remembers her father as being “full of the dickens, he was a big tease”. When asked to give examples, she would describe seeing her father sneak up behind her mother and untie her apron strings. She also remembers her father hiding in back of her bed and once she and Agnes had climbed into bed, he would pull their hair and scare them. Melbourne was a machinist and worked right in Dorchester. Nana remembers her mother as a sweet and kind woman who worked hard and never complained. Although, according to Millie, she had a lot to complain about. Nana’s closest childhood friend is Helen Brune. They have been friends since 4th grade. She and Helen correspond to this day and often send one another birthday cards. She reaches over and hands me the card she has chosen to send to | “If I had gone to college, I really would have made something of myself.” “Since I didn’t go to college, I worked at RH Whites which was a popular department store at that time.”

12: Helen for her birthday which is on August 17th. Nana was the maid of honor in her wedding and Helen was in Nana’s wedding party but Agnes was her maid of honor. Helen lived in Neponset and now lives in Plymouth. | Of her adolescence, Nana can vividly remember her 16th birthday. It was a very special surprise birthday party that was held in a Yacht Club in Neponset. She was asked by her aunt to go, but she said no because she was too tired. Her aunt had to convince her to go and said “boy was I surprised”. She was delighted to find a party in her honor. She had a boyfriend Charlie Keirnan at the time that she remembers attended the party.

13: Nana’s father Melbourne died when Nana was 18 years old. She had to go to work and got a job at RH Whites and earned $15/wk . She always gave her mother $10 a week and kept $5 to buy shoes and socks for the children. Agnes bought the dresses for all of the children. She used $2 a week for car fare and Lunch was 25 cents. | Age 18 was an eventful time of Nana’s life. John Allaire asked her to marry him. She refused his proposal and when she got home she said to her mother, “What a nerve!” She felt it was too soon. Transitioning into adulthood, Nana said she always felt like an adult. She had to care for so many children and had a lot of responsibilities. “I had to make a lot of decisions.”


16: Nana describes her Twenties: “Happy days, Life was beautiful. I got married”. Nana met George Adrian MacIsaac on a Monday night at a dance at the Riverview in Neponset. Nana loves to dance and says “George was a very good dancer.” “He was wonderful”. Nana says she was attracted to his brown eyes and nice smile. And he was so tall”. “We got along good; I never wanted to go any place without him.” “Being in love is wonderful.” | HER 20s

17: After dating George for a while, she said to her mother, “If he asks me to marry him, Should I?” Her mother said, “Wait until he asks you”. | They started dating and would go out to lunch together. Nana smiles a mischievous smile and says “I made a dollar more per week than Papa did at his job when I worked for RH Whites.”

18: They were married at St. Brendan’s Church in Dorchester on Galvin Boulevard on June 4, 1939. When asked about her most memorable moment of her wedding day and she responded, “When I came out of the church, down the stairs and got into the car, I looked at this man and it was the first time I realized that I was married and that my life was changing. I thought to myself ‘I’m going to be with him the rest of my life and I’m not going back to my family. I’m going to be with George.”

19: The reception was held in their family home on 15 Fairfax Street. Nana was the second one married in the family. For her honeymoon, she and Papa went to Contoocook, New Hampshire. They stayed at a Bed and Breakfast. They took the train and the owners of the B&B picked them up at the train. “I wore a navy blue suit with red shoes and was a dainty 98 lbs. George always brought that up later” They lived in an apartment of an Italian family's home (Bombaderri) in Dorchester.

20: Expecting an in depth description, I asked Nana what makes a good romantic relationship. She adopted a thoughtful expression, smiled and said, “compatibility”. That was it. Straight forward, to the point, and practical; just like Nana.

21: Nana Describes Her Thirties: “My thirties were a lot more work.” “I had 7 children.” “They (years) went fast, but I thought they were slow at times because of the babies.” “I said, ‘They’ll never grow up’.” There was Douglas, Steven, Phyllis, Donald, Linda, Laura, and Joanne. | HER 30s

22: Nana Describes Her Forties: “I was enjoying life.” “Watching the children grow up.” “It was exciting.” “That is when I went back to AVON.” Nana worked hard at RH Whites store before she was married. She moved on to work for Avon. After having 7 children she started working as an Avon sales rep. While working at Avon she studied and passed the Real Estate Board. Avon was worried they would lose such a great worker, so they promoted her to manager. Nana comments, “I never did sell a house”. She was over 40 years old at the time and the N.Y. Interviewer for Avon held her interview in a restaurant. She asked the man, “What makes you think I can be a manager?” he said, “If you can raise 7 children, you can do this job”. | HER 40s

23: I asked Nana which was her favorite job. She said, “The one at RH Whites. “ “It was a good job because it wasn’t as much responsibility and it was more fun.” “At AVON, people were depending on me and looking up to me, so I had to produce.”

25: Nana Describes Her Fifties: "It really was a continuation of my forties. Very busy." | HER 50s

27: Nana Describes Her Sixties: “I had a real nice life in my sixties because that is when I went to Florida.” “The children were all grown up so I had plenty of time to enjoy retirement.” Nana truly enjoyed making new friends. She and Papa found a home in a mobile home park in Nokomis, FL. Nana was able to spend 10 winters with George in Florida. | HER 60s

28: Growing up, Mom always kept all of us busy. I remember when: She decided we all needed to learn how to swim. First it was at Wollaston beach in Quincy and then when she bought the house in Maine, it was the freezing cold waters in Maine. In Maine we all learned how to play tennis and sail. Not one to be left out, Mom also learned how to sail and loved it. She also liked to swim even in the cold waters of Maine. Even before Maine, I remember when Mom went to the YMCA for an exercise and swimming program. One year we had Linda and Laura in a doll carriage parade. We decorated the carriage and added Linda and Laura, the baby dolls, to the carriage. I loved Mom’s homemade bread. She made a great pot roast, however the liver dinner was not my favorite meal; it always seemed a bit over cooked. I remember Mom making grape jelly and bread and butter pickles that we stored on the shelf in the stairway of the basement. And home made donuts (a French tradition) and pan fried steaks. Mom was pretty good at making clothes. I remember her making beautiful matching tailored coats for Linda and Laura one year when they were around five or six years old. Getting in the car and driving to the train station at Norfolk Downs to pick up Dad on his return home from work in Boston. As soon as we got back home and Dad walked through the door, Mom would serve him coffee. We had a really nice neighborhood growing up in North Quincy. Mom was friendly with the Dennison’s, Rantuccio's, and Murray’s. Some of our other neighbors were Mrs Hammel, the Fontaine’s and the Barrows. | Millie's Children Phyllis wrote:

29: Our neighbor, Barbara Murray would come over while Mom was cooking or ironing and just talked. Barbara would say she did not know how Mom did it all. And then there was the golf course at the top of our street where we went sledding and skating in the winter. Mom’s sisters would come over to the house every so often for a sister’s get together. It would always be fun to get ready for their visit. Aunt Muriel or Aunt Evelyn would typically have some practical joke to play on us. Most of Mom’s sisters had big families so we did not a get together with the cousins very often. I do remember going over to Aunt Agnes’ house to visit with our cousins in Cambridge. Occasionally we would go to the Gillooly’s for a visit. | Mom has always been a woman of deep religious faith. I believe that this is the cornerstone of her character and strength and is what defines her principles. She always made sure we all went to church every Sunday. Typically the entire family would go to Sacred Heart in North Quincy. We all made our first communion and confirmation at Sacred Heart. Mom has always liked to read. In Maine she would go to bed early so she could read for a while before she went to sleep. She still reads 2-3 books a week. Mostly action novels. Mom may not have been the best home decorator, many pieces of our furniture were hand me downs from Dad’s sisters. Mom and Dad for many years discussed building a coat closet in the Quincy house. The reason they discussed it for years was because Mom wanted to put in the corner of the downstairs hall and Dad wanted to put it up through the staircase to the second floor. One day Mom got tired of discussing the options and just took some of her Avon money and had someone put it in the down stairs hall – that ended the discussion.

30: It was amazing how all nine of us lived in the Quincy house with only one bathroom. In Maine we did not even have a real shower or hot running water. If we were going out at night we would have to go under the house to have a cold shower. Hopefully, if you happened to be the first to take your shower the water might be warm for a little while from the sun heating it in the pipes during the day. Mom was not one to sit down, she was always doing something. With a family of seven children that is not too surprising. Between driving us somewhere, working for Avon, sewing, cooking, laundry, canning, going to PTO meetings at Christopher Columbus (Steven & Doug’s high school in the North End), reading at night, packing for Maine, unpacking from Maine, making coffee for Dad, going to square dancing classes and visiting with neighbors her energy seemed boundless. Mom, Dad and family came to Peaks Island to pick me up from a visit with my friend Shelia Lowery. Our vacation rental on Cape Cod fell through that year so instead we rented a home on Peaks Island from a Russian immigrant, Mr. Kalodko . He liked Millie so much that he asked her to buy his house. In the fall, Mom and Dad came back with her Avon money and bought the house for $1,500 with furniture. That was the beginning of having our summer home on Peaks. Mr. Kalodko loved to come and visit Millie and family. He often brought vegetables from his garden down the street and also pickles that he made. Mom would make him dinner from time to time. He was a very sweet man and was a very special friend.

31: Summers on Peaks Island was one of the best things that happen for the family. What with all the activities available to us and many friends we made, Mom did not have to worry about where we were or what we were doing. Dad got involved in TEIA, the island social club, and ran the annual fair. Times were so simple growing up during those early years. Mom, Dad and all the family made lots of friends and we all had some great times together. Who can forget the many lobster cook outs on the back shore, we all know Mom loves lobster. | Although Millie was not fond of cooking, with seven children she really didn’t have many options. But given that, she did a terrific job After working all day she had all she could do to get dinner on the table by 5:45 which is the time we sat down to eat She had about an 11 day repertoire which also included the leftover reinvention.For example our typical Sunday dinner may have been a boiled dinner and inevitability the next day it would be turned into corned beef hash, the same with baked ham which would then morph into pea soup and chopped ham sandwiches. she was ahead of her time in not being wasteful – everything was put to good use. Other favorite specialties included: Meatloaf; Meat pie -with a helping hand from a can of ‘Dinty Moore Stew”; Scallop casserole – on Good Fridays; Hot dogs, brown bread and beans –on Saturday evenings. School lunches were always a treat as well – and that selection was also predictable: tuna salad, shrimp salad ,corned beef, deviled ham salad. | Joanne wrote:

32: What did all of these have in common – they came from a can – let’s not forget that Millie was of that generation where can goods were the new invention – a time saver for the working mom. As an adult I have a new appreciation for her culinary skills as all her meals were good and she occasional would stray from the repertoire and try something new like the ginger snap veal casserole which happen to be very good. Desert is an interesting subject, as no one could accuse her of not having desert – it was just her choice of deserts. Maple walnut ice cream, hermits, ginger snaps, fig squares, jiffy corn bread mix with that surprise filling of jam. Not the things that entice a child’s palette, no chocolate cake, chocolate chip cookies or vanilla ice cream for us. I think we may have been the only family with 7 kids that always had ice cream in the freezer as no one but mom liked maple walnut. I remember Mom made white bread and oatmeal bread. The oatmeal was my favorite. Creamed salmon on toast was also a favorite ( and of course it was salmon from a can.) but still yummy. As was the creamed asparagus on toast which her and Barbara Murray use to have together and of course the tuna noodle casserole and string bean casserole Now her summer menu was very different as we summered on Peaks Island for many years. As a child I remember going blue berry picking with my mom, Linda and Laura. We would wander the dirt road of back shore and return with buckets of blue berries which would be turned into – blue berry pancakes, sauce and pie.

33: Special dinners on the island were lobster cook outs on the back shore where she tried for many years to distract us with hot dogs and hamburgers to delay our requests for lobster Millie was not the type of mother whose identity was wrapped up in her children. She was the first one to encourage us to pursue our own interest and lives. She was happy to see us leave and settle into our own lives. It wasn’t that she didn’t care she wanted us to be independent and make our own way in the world. She had a wander lust and wanted to explore the world. Even during her time as a Avon Manager she would have to travel to New York and would take a small puddle jumper – given the choice of seats she chose to sit right next to the pilot, she didn’t want to miss a thing. She has traveled to Spain, Hawaii, England, Italy, Amsterdam, Turkey, Montana and Arizona – to name a few. In recent years and unlikely travel companion was her son Steve who I think inherited her wanderlust. They actually have traveled quite a bit together. In fact the trip to Turkey was taken in secret as she and Steve told us they were going to Amsterdam as there were travel advisories against travel in Turkey at the time and they insisted that they were not going there. So we were all pretty surprised when we received post cards from the Blue Mosque.

34: Millie worked at R.H. Whites, a department store, as a bundle girl(wrapping packages), then selling children socks and shoes. She had to stand in line to find out if they needed you, and would send you home if they didn't. Everyone wore black dresses with white collars. This was during the depression. Dad work at Gilchrists in the curtain department and started as stock boy. Since he worked as a stockboy folding curtains all day, one night he folded his blankets in his sleep and put them at the end his bed. In World War II, he was a Navy seaman first class stationed in Bayonne New Jersey. He wrote home that he was made Captain of the Head, Mom was so proud. Here is some information I wrote down when I was talking to Mom one day Mom went to the Minot School in Neponset and graduated high school in 1933 from the High School of Practical Arts. Mom was 18 years old when her father died from an operation on his lungs in 1935. He was a machinist who worked in Dorchester Pallet Co. Her mother was a seamstress. Millie and George met at the Riverview Dance Hall, Gallivan Blvd, Dorchester. He lived on 15 Kenburma Road in Dorchester and she at 14 Walnut Street in Neponset. Mildred Hurlburt married George Adrian MacIsaac in 1939. When they married, George and Millie lived on Fairfax Street in Dorchester. In 1939, when Mom married, Irene and Alice who had been dating their boyfriends for a long time and also lived with their mother decided George wasn't the only one to get married. So Mom and Dad married in May, Irene in June, and Alice in August. Irene got divorced after 2 years. | Linda Wrote: | Linda Wrote:

35: I remember Joe Marsh the farmer from Hingham. Mom used to take us there. His real name was Joe Marciano had the farm on 111 Main St in Hingham. Mom was dating Joe when she met George, she met his family and sisters who really liked her. After marriage he worked in Norfolk Downs and Mom would see him there and on occasion he use to bring her baskets of vegetables for the kids to the house or she would take us there to the farm. Joe really liked Mom, but Dad beat him to the proposal when he gave her the hope chest for a Christmas present. Joe would take Mom once a month to someplace really nice in Boston. Why George instead of Joe? George was tall and blond while Joe who was Italian was short and stocky...but a really nice guy We bought the cottage from Mr Kolodko, a Russian immigrant who literally lost his wife in the Russian Revolution (he found her years later, remarried with children). Mr. Kolodko would say, "I like your family you buy you buy...”. Mom and Dad had just finished paying off a car loan and they thought they might as well keep the payment for the cottage. The cottage cost $1,500. They told Mr. Kolodko that if they decided to buy they would return on Labor Day (did you notice, no signed contracts). They showed up on Labor Day with the car loaded with a stove. Mom said it was one of their best decisions. We fondly remembers a club house dance when the Yaringtons' invited them for a boat ride after the dance to Cliff Island to drop off some friends. With the promise of a lobster dinner pulled right from the bay both George and Millie hopped on the boat and didn't get back till 5 in the morning. Meanwhile Douglas had woken up and was pacing the floor asking where had they been. (Was that the beginning of Douglas' role as a father?) She said they had a great time with a big smile on her face.

36: While Mom worked from the time we left for school to the time she went to bed, Dad was the typical 50’s male. He went to work (Mom would drive him to the train station, (only one car per family), came home (Mom would pick him up at the train station), had dinner (Mom always cooked, no restaurant food ), then sat and read his newspaper, then watched TV (Mom would make him a tea around 7), then he told us to stop watching TV and do our homework. That was the schedule and those were the rules back then and he stuck by them. Food. Not sure if our cuisine was a product of the time period, Mom’s heritage or because our family was large enough to field a baseball team. Our meals were not noted for spices, but they were very predictable. Friday nights were fish, most often the notorious fish cakes. Every Saturday night was beans and franks. For a surprise we may have brown bread. Brown bread came in a can but I’m not sure what is was made of. If we had dessert it would most likely be jello, Indian pudding or tapioca. I don’t remember much ice cream, that must have been after I left for college. Ham. We could always rely on the ham sequence of meals. We’d have our usual Sunday dinner at three (mandatory appearance for all), and often we would have a ham shoulder. Great, one of my favorite meals. For the next couple of days we would have sliced ham for dinner and ham sandwiches for school lunches. When the ham sandwiches got boring, the ham would be ground up with pickles to make a sandwich spread. Then around the next Sunday, the final act of the ham was to appear in a big pot of pea soup made from the ham bone and any left over ham. This sequence of events was repeated for turkeys: roasted, sliced, sandwiches then soup. At least we knew what our next meal was going to be. | Don Wrote:

37: Ratatouille. Mom explained That Ratatouille came from her French Canadian side. I’m not sure what was in it, but I believe it was made from all the vegetables that were hiding in the dark recesses of the refrigerator. Needless to say that after a meal of ratatouille, there were always leftovers. There was no way to escape seeing it again. Fishcakes. No they are not the ones we know today. They didn’t come out of a box frozen, all breaded and neatly stamped out in perfect stick shapes. No these were hand-made, wholly organic, mystery food. I never quit figured out how they were made and I surely didn’t ask for the recipe, but I believe the ingredients were salt codfish from a box (soaked in water for hours) and mash potatoes to hold the fish together. Eating Out. We didn’t. I can only remember going to one restaurant growing up: Ye Hong Guey’s in Chinatown. We would occasionally (rarely) go to Chinatown after church. It was the only restaurant that served mass quantities of food for very little money. Where else could you order big bowls of rice, chop suey and chow mein, and get free bread, free drinks (water, tea) and free dessert (fortune cookie) to feed a large family. I think we all have a fondness for Chinese food because of few times we ever got to go to a restaurant. Advantages and disadvantages of a Large Family. There are advantages to having a large family. Division of labor for one. We each had our jobs. The older kids did the dishes or set table. I was trashman. I took the trash out of the kitchen and put it into the barrels in the garage. Once a week I took it out front for the trash pickup. I put the food scraps in the garbage pail in the ground. A garbage truck would pick it up for the local pig farm. This doesn't happen anymore.

38: No favorites. Mom was too busy to have a favorite son or daughter. Working and taking care of 7 kids plus Dad, she didn’t have time for favorites. As kids, all we had to do was just get up, go to school, disappear somewhere and wander in around dinner time. No one called us to tell us its time to come home, no one checking on where we were or what we were doing. Just too many kids for that. Douglas, Steven, Donald! Mom always had the habit of getting our names wrong. Still does. Especially when she was mad at us. If she wanted me to stop doing something, she would say, “Douglas, Steven, I mean Donald, stop that”. If she was yelling at Steve (which was more often) it was, “Donald, Douglas, Steven!”. She never got it wrong. The person she was yelling at always was the third choice. I don’t remember her having the same problem with the four girls. Left at home. When you have a large family things can be misplaced or forgotten. I can see why. Mom used to make 12-14 sandwiches for our school lunch every day. This was after feeding us breakfast and getting us out the door so she could go to work selling Avon. She came home at lunch one day and found me watching TV. She may have called me to get up, but I never heard. And I wasn’t going to be embarrassed by going to school late. If I was smart I would have played that card more often.

39: TV. There was one 21" black and white TV and 9 people to watch it. That could create a lot of conflict except for two things: 1) there were only 3 channels (OK, 4 if you counted the educational channel, but that was always some college professor giving a lecture while writing on a chalk board), and 2) we watched what Dad wanted to watch. So we sat through Mitch Miller or Lawrence Welk every Saturday night. Mom and Dad would get up and dance and we’d laugh at them. But we really liked it when they danced. I remember after the shows, that Dad would sometimes go out for the Sunday paper on Saturday night and coming home with candy bars for everyone. I loved that. House Rules. A family our size had to have some rules or the chaos would snowball out of control Eat your dinner. No one leaves the table unless you eat all your dinner no mater how much you hated something. For some it was peas, for me it was fishcakes. No matter how long it took we stayed until we cleaned the plate. I once sat at the table for an hour after everyone was finished. The common saying was “Eat your food, there are people starving in China”. Of course, we suggested that we should send them our leftovers. No running up/down the stairs. Living in the attic meant going up two flights of stairs to change your clothes or get you toys. This required extraordinary measures to accomplish the trip is the shortest amount of time. Going up, two steps at a time. Going down, leaping down 4 steps to the next landing. It was like an Olympic event. Except when my Dad was home. If he caught me, the punishment was ten laps up and down the stairs (no jumping).

40: No swearing. This wasn’t actually a rule, it was just understood. Nobody swore (except Steve). I only heard my parents swear once each. Steve and I were causing trouble and we probably broke something. Mom yelled at us and said “damn it”. That really got her mad and she said, “Now see what you made me say!”. When I was in my early teens, Dad and I were cleaning up the garage. I somehow dropped a sledgehammer on his toe. He let off a few unusual words seldom heard at our house. I did what every sympathetic teenager would do, I started to laugh. That just got him madder. | Steven Wrote: | The real Millie ironed clothes while watching Combat and even today when I take her to a movie and she has a choice between Momma Mia and an action-adventure, Bruce Willis or Borne Identity type of movie, she'll always take the action-adventure.. And the food when we were growing, there was no steak. That only came later when Mom and Dad were both working and they had more money - so the three young girls got the steak while the older ones got the pea soup and hot dogs and beans. We often had leftovers, because Millie never throws anything away. Mom hated soup and still does because she had so much of it growing up; she also complained about mash potato and baked bean sandwiches. I became aware at an early age that Mom was a food lover and still is!

41: We all wore hand me down clothes. I got Doug's old clothes and Mom always told me I looked great when everyone in school was laughing at me - when I told her about the laughs she said they were jealous. (Note from Don: I got to wear those same clothes when Steve grew out of them). There are a million stories about Mom and her relations with her brothers and sisters - I remember when Dad had to throw two of her brothers out of our house when they took Phyllis and me out for an ice cream and they let Phyllis fall out of the car. One of Mom's brother in laws ( uncle Buck god bless his soul) used to call Mom and her sisters the blinking sisters because every time you blink one of them would have another baby. When I asked Dad, why Mom was so cheap and he wasn't was: "she's led a very tough life; she and her sister Agnes had to take their father's place when he died. The two of them had to bring home the food for the rest of the family." She always said that she planned to go to college until this happened and she really missed not having this opportunity.

42: Mom was always at ease talking to strangers. We were at the Bargain Center, waiting for the doors to open and mom was chatting away about the family and her beautiful daughters with all the other women like long lost friends. Her hats were great! I loved to see her dress up for work! Thanksgiving, polishing her silverware, (awards from Avon), and how all of us fit around the table. Mom taking us to the beach on the Island, with lunch, swimming with us. Watching her do the wash, with the old fashioned clothes washer with the wringer. I loved the wringer! She always let us drive up to the Island from Boston. | Laura Wrote:

43: I remember coming home for lunch from Montclair School and finding a fire truck in front of the house. The furnace motor had started to smoke but everyone was OK. Coming home for lunch was common as we were within walking distance. Another time for lunch, mom had made deviled Ham sandwiches which I liked but mom did not know that in science class we had seen a film on red ants and the deviled ham reminded me of the ants all ground up. It took some doing but I ate lunch. Mom let me help make bread which I still make today. She used a large roasting pan to mix the dough and set it on the hot air register to make it rise. I remember mom learning how to drive when the drive way was on the left not the shared driveway. The shared driveway was a lot of work shoveling out when it snowed as there was no place to stack it between the houses. | Douglas Wrote: | Mom taught me how to cook and let me make some Sunday meals. Mom decided she would become an Avon Lady and the downstairs was full of cartons which she would have to sort and separate to fill the orders for her customers. She did so well she became a manager.

44: Millie and George

47: Millie, George and Friends

49: Millie's Children, Grandchildren and Great Grandchildren

69: Millie in Maine

75: Weddings

77: Millie's 80th Birthday

78: Millie's 90th Birthday

80: Millie's 100th Birthday

81: Millie's Children | Some of Millie's 21 Grandchildren | Some of Millie's Great-Grandchildren

82: We love you Mom, Millie, Nana!

Sizes: mini|medium|large|jumbo
Default User
  • By: Shaina P.
  • Joined: almost 7 years ago
  • Published Mixbooks: 0
  • Default User
    • By: Don M.
    • Contributions: 167 photos , 54 pages
  • Default User
    • By: Lori S.
    • Contributions: 4 photos , 21 pages
  • Default User
    • By: Lori S.
    • Contributions: 19 photos , 0 pages

About This Mixbook

  • Title: Nana's book
  • Theme for Mixbook Scrapbookers
  • Tags: None
  • Started: almost 7 years ago
  • Updated: over 1 year ago