Up to 50% Off! 50% Off Favorites! Code: FAVS19 Ends: 11/25 Details

  1. Help
Up to 50% Off! 50% Off Favorites! Code: FAVS19 Ends: 11/25 Details


Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.

OUR LIFE 1 - Page Text Content

S: Pictures and Memories of Mildred Clara Oliver Smith

FC: It was the turn of the century and snow was falling in New Orleans. I stood at an upstairs window of my grandmother's home to watch. It is my earliest memory. I was three years old. | PICTURES AND MEMORIES of Mildred Clara Oliver Smith

1: 1

2: THE MAKING OF THIS BOOK It was a year before her death in 1978 that Mildred Oliver Smith sat down to write her life story at the urging of her daughter, Barbara Hull (see prior page). She wrote a full account of her life in longhand and called it OUR LIFE. She then transcribed in longhand five copies into composition books, one for each of her five children: John Holmes Smith III, Jane Oliver Shields, Mildred Cherokee Green, Barbara Wingate Hull, and Oliver Mitchell Smith. Now it is 2011 and her daughter, Jane Shields, having some old family photographs of the people who figured in Mildred's story, the Olivers and the Maddens, thought it fitting to coordinate the pictures with Mildred's OUR LIFE, using only the section of her account regarding her childhood and youth: 1897-1915. Mildred's mother, Jennie, had kept a diary upon which Mildred drew when she wrote of these years - so, in | 2

3: 3 | many ways, Jennie is the co-author of this collaboration which is called PICTURES AND MEMORIES OF MILDRED CLARA OLIVER SMITH. It is a charming and vivid tale of her childhood, set in New Orleans, a bustling port city where the Olivers and Maddens lived for one hundred or more years. Mildred left her New Orleans home after the death of her husband, Holmes. She lived in Atlanta, Georgia until her death in 1978. The account continuing in OUR LIFE after her marriage reveals a woman of courage and purpose. Jane Shields and her daughter, Page, designed the format of this book. They are grateful to Mildred for writing her memories at Barbara's request. In reading this book, the reader will find Mildred's words presented in italicized script and editorial information in block type.

4: 4

5: Pictures and Memories of THE EARLY YEARS 1897-1915 of Mildred Clara Oliver Smith | 5

6: Jennie as a child | 6

7: To Jennie Palmer Madden Oliver ...courtesy of my mother, Jennie, for the information of my life as a baby, child, and teenager...from the diary she wrote New Orleans, Louisiana | Jennie in the1930's | 7

8: (#1) | 8

9: Uptown/Downtown is how New Orleanians describe the city. The Mississippi determines direction in New Orleans. UPTOWN, the area upriver from Canal St. DOWNTOWN, the area downriver from Canal St. The oldest section of the city is The French Quarter (Vieux Carre) which is Downtown. Next to it is the earliest Faubourg (district) called Marigny after Bernard Xavier Phillipe de Marigny de Mandeville who developed it as a residential area. It was similar in appearance and character to the French Quarter. Many called it a Creole Faubourg to distinguish it from the American Faubourgs on the Uptown side of Canal St. The American Sector of the city was developed after the Louisiana Purchase when Americans flocked to New Orleans. Eventually, Americans moved farther upstream into an area known as the Lower Garden District. When the Livaudais Plantation was sold and subdivided, along with other smaller plantations, the land became the core of the City of Lafayette, now known as the Garden District. (#1) | 9

10: 10 | There have been a number of Olivers with the name of Andrew. This obituary is for the first Andrew Oliver of whom we have knowledge in New Orleans and who practiced there for 28 years. Dr. Oliver was of Huguenot "stock" and came to New Orleans from Boston, Massachusetts, where a large number of Olivers have lived, died and are buried in the Huguenot cemetery, the Granary, and also at the Boston Common, among the oldest burial places in Boston.

11: 11 | It is not clear whether the pharmacist, Andrew Oliver's son or grandson is the Andrew Oliver who is the grandfather of Mildred. The pharmacist, Andrew Oliver, died in1860. The last reference in the New Orleans Directory to Mildred's grandfather is 1867. Mildred, her brother, Norvin Oliver, and his wife, Ellen, spent a frustrating time in Boston in an effort to find the answer and search for other information on the Olivers. Much material about the Olivers exists and in Ellen's words, "All the Olivers we read about or heard about distinguished themselves in the making of the city of Boston." But as to Mildred's grandfather, no information was found. Many of the names are spelled in French (Olivier) which further complicates the geneaogical search. | My grandfather, Andrew Oliver, and his wife, Clara Lazzaretti, lived in Downtown New Orleans in the Marigny Faubourg, on Dauphine Street, #359 (now 1809-11). --------------------------------------------

12: Included as sample: New Orleans Pharmacy Museum 64 Chartres Street. No known connection between Oliver pharmacy and the museum except area of Chartres and Bienville Streets. | 12 | Dr. Oliver, as he was called, was a pharmacist and had a pharmacy shop on Chartres Street, #28, in the Vieux Carre (French Quarter), on the corner of Bienville Street. His obituary is on the prior page.

13: 13

14: Andrew and his wife, Clara, had two sons, William and George. William married Lillie Jewell on June 7, 1885. They had one daughter, Clara Louise (Loula) born Sept. 25, 1886. William was employed by Isadore Newman and Brothers according to the New Orleans Directory. He died on October 21, 1886. According to Mildred, he was an inspector of ships coming into the port of New Orleans. During inspections one day he lost his balance on a gangplank and fell into the Mississippi River. His body was never recovered. (see page 67). | Lillie Jewell Oliver | Clara Louise (Loula) Oliver | 14

15: William Oliver | 15

16: In the early 1870's, Edgar Degas spent five months with relatives on Esplanade Avenue. Two of his paintings, A Cotton Office and New Orleans Cotton Merchants, are shown here. (#2) | George, my father, was employed by H. and C. Newman, a large commercial firm which included cotton businesses. | 16

17: The house where the Olivers lived on Dauphine Street is an excellent example of the cottage style of architecture so prevalent in the area. The house is still standing and occupied. I remember so well the single step, a block of granite, from the banquette (sidewalk) to the front door which opened onto double parlors. These rooms | # 3 | 17

18: were furnished with antique rosewood furniture consisting of gentlemen and ladies sofas, two armchairs, as well as six rosewood straight chairs. On the two marble top tables were crystal Hurricane Globes holding candlesticks which were lit at twilight, for in that day there was neither gas nor electricity. | Oliver Sofa Katherine Oliver Vickery, on left, daughter of Ellen and Norvin Oliver entertains at a bridal party. Pictured in The Times-Picayume News | # 3 | 18

19: In the upstairs bedrooms when light was needed, either kerosene lamps or candles were used. Many oil paintings hung on the walls. Sometime before her death, Clara, my grandmother, asked George to remove all portraits and burn them in the courtyard, which he did, with the exception of three: one of his father as a young man and as an older man, and one of William. Why she made such a request is not recorded. The three portraits were inherited by my brother, Norvin Palmer Oliver. After his death and also the death | of his daughter, Joel Oliver Baldwin, they were inherited by Joel's daughters: Beverly Baldwin Mann and Stoddard ("Toddy") Baldwin Nathanson. Beverly lives in New Orleans, Toddy in Hawaii. Most of Norvin's family now live in Hawaii. Norvin and his wife, Ellen Garic Oliver, had 3 children: Norvin, Jr., Katherine Oliver Vickery, and Joel Oliver Baldwin, none of whom are living (1977). The furniture and paintings which I inherited I have distributed to my five children. | 19 | Portrait of an Oliver

20: Creole Cottage Details | Louvered transom on upper side balcony | (#3) | #3 | #3 | 20 | #3

21: Color illustrations of a similar cottage in the Vieux Carre. | Oliver Cradle | (#4) | 21

22: Garden District (#1) | 22

23: My Madden grandparents, John W. Madden and Julia Cherokee Many Madden lived in the Garden District of New Orleans, an area above Jackson Avenue. | John W. Madden had arrived in New Orleans from Ireland in the 1840s. He established himself in business as a stationer and was an active member of the Masonic Lodge. | Julia Cherokee Many Madden | John W. Madden | 23

24: The John Madden Family l-r: Margaret Helen, John W. Madden, Julia Cherokee Many Madden, Mary Loomis (lap), Jennie Palmer, Ethel Augusta, Robert William, Juliet | 24

25: George Charles Oliver and Jennie Madden | 25 | The wedding invitations were unique, each side folding to the center of the card...one style I'd like to see in vogue again.

26: Sometime before their wedding, Jennie's mother died. After her death, care of her four sisters largely fell to my mother, Jennie. | Ethel Augusta Madden (Gussie) pictured above and also on right (note slacks which were unusual in that day) | Juliet Madden Warren | 26

27: Even on the day of her wedding, it was necessary for her to oversee their wardrobe before taking care of her own. | Mary Loomis Madden Sebastian | Margaret Helen (Maggie) Madden Pickens | Robert William Madden died at age 20 | Unknown | 27

28: My father, George Oliver, and Jennie Madden were married at the Madden home on Wednesday, November 18, 1886. The service was conducted by Dr. Benjamin Palmer who was the minister at First Presbyterian Church from 1856-1902. Jennie had grown up in that church, located in Downtown New Orleans. The original church (Greek Revival style) faced Lafayette Square. It was destroyed by fire in 1854, and replaced on the same site by a church in Gothic style which is | (#3) | 28

29: the one Dr. Palmer knew, and the one the Oliver family knew. My memory of this church when I was old enough to attend is that the pew covers were stuffed with horse hair and were old and worn and scratched my legs for my dresses were short. | The church was sold in 1938 and a new one built on Claiborne Avenue in Uptown New Orleans. Dr. Palmer was known in the church at large, his ministry having begun before the days of the Confederacy. He was the first Moderator of the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church, US. When my parents were married, Dr. Palmer wrote to my mother, " My dear Jennie, please accept the accompaning books as a souvenir of the day and with them, my best wishes for your happiness in the new relationship about to be instituted... Affectionately, B.M. Palmer | Dr. Benjamin Palmer | 29

30: After their marriage, my parents lived with George's parents, Andrew and Clara, on Dauphine Street. They had three children: Muriel who died in infancy, Norvin Palmer, and four years later, me, Mildred Clara Oliver. I was named Clara for my grandmother, and it was sometime before my parents decided upon Mildred. | Norvin, age 4 | Mildred and fan | 30

31: Both Norvin and I were christened at First Presbyterian Church by Dr. Palmer. My mother says in her diary that I behaved beautifully during the christening ceremony. She says also that I was a "beautiful and good baby". In her diary my mother also wrote that when I was a baby I would take her fan, holding it so tightly that she could not take it away from me. My mother, Jennie, tells also that every morning she took me upstairs to visit with my Grandmother Oliver "so that she could play with and love me". Grandmother Oliver was an invalid for the last 18 | months of her life, dying February 12, 1898, soon after my first birthday, January 14, 1898. One of the servants in the Oliver home was a colored woman whose name was Artemise. My mother praised her for being "a fine, faithful and responsible person". She became my nurse after I was born. I loved Artemise and she spoiled me. She loved to walk to Canal Street, a few blocks away. She never failed to return without candy or a toy for me, even though I did things which undoubtedly hurt her, such as pinching the thin and wrinkled skin over the back of her hands. | 31

32: Mildred as a young girl. Picture on the left was taken when she was eight years old. | 32

33: Later, as the Dauphine Street neighborhood was declining, my parents made a move to Uptown Calhoun Street, one block from Audubon Park and two blocks from St. Charles Avenue, (Calhoun and Benjamin Streets) , a comfortable house and a nice neighborhood. I have lots of memories of the house and of all the friends with whom Norvin and I grew up, among them, the Mackie family: parents, one son and two daughters, Carrie and Beulah. Beulah and I attended LaSalle Public School, always walking home together at the end of the day. Then there were the Turner girls, Lucy and Mary, who lived in the 1600 block of Calhoun. I always walked | home with them for lunch. We decided one day to "play hookey" after lunch. When I stopped for the girls at the Turner house I went in, not knowing that my mother was watching from our house and saw me go in but did not see me come out. It was three o'clock when I reappeared. Real punishment awaited me and I NEVER did THAT again. | 33

34: In our Calhoun house we used candlelight, then gas. Every house had a cistern. It was usually in the back yard and was used to catch rainwater. Clara would draw water from the cistern, boil it, then when cold, pour it over the top of the water cooler so that any foreign object would not pass into the cooler. The ice man came every day to put a block of ice into the refrigerator. I remember waiting for the ice cream man on summer afternoons, sitting on the front porch with the largest glass I could find. The man's mother made the ice cream with the vanilla bean in it and for five cents he gave me a full glass. | 34

35: I had a dear friend, Dorothy Ivens, who lived on Peters Avenue in a large home not far from us. Her parents, Rosa and Edward Ivens, and mine were good friends. Her mother was Rosa Jewell the sister of my aunt, Lillie Jewell Oliver. They had a maid named Viola, who waa white, unusual at that time. Our cook was colored and named Clara. Norvin teased me endlessly by calling me "Clara, the cook". She was a fine person. I didn't like being called that, even if I liked Clara. Our Calhoun house had a large side yard and on the lawn was one of the large old Oliver jars from the Dauphine Street house, | large enough for Dorothy Ivens and me to hide in, pretending to be one of Aladdin's thieves. Dorothy spent one Saturday with me and the following Saturday I spent with her. The Barnum and Bailey Circus came to Audubon Park every year, pitching tents near St. Charles Avenue. Norvin and I stayed around the circus every day and evening. The last night of the circus the Top of the Big Tent was removed and fireworks were set up to explode in the sky. Norvin and I would climb on top of the shed to watch that beautiful display. | 35

36: Norvin had two doors and one window in his room. For each door he made a sign with Exit printed on it, for the window, Emergency Exit. I am quite sure that had I entered the room, I would have been thrown out the window! To counter that, I shall add that we had a deep affection for each other always. Grown up, he showed me many attentions as well as some financial help when times were hard. He was an exporter/importer (one or both) and he left me a legacy of $10,000. I was Sis to him. | Ellen Garic Oliver, wife of Norvin Oliver, with her first child, Norvin Oliver, Jr. | Ellen Garic Oliver graduated in the Class of 1910 from Sophie Newcomb Art School. Norvin, Sr. attended a private preparatory school, the Newman School, on Jefferson Avenue. | 36

37: The home pictured here is the one where Norvin and Ellen Oliver lived. This picture was taken by Barbara Hull in 1998. The house is located at the corner of Prytania and Eleanor Streets in the Garden District. After Ellen Garic's death in 1954, Norvin married Myrtle Sebastian, widow of Newton Sebastian of Norwood, LA. Newton, a doctor and a cousin, built and operated a hospital in Ferriday, LA, not far from Natchez, MS. | 37

38: I was selected with some of my friends to be a sponsor for the Big League baseball team. Here is a picture of us in the box at Heinemann Park. | I loved to "play the piano" on the kitchen table until my parents bought a piano and found a music teacher. Scales, however, were not my idea of playing "real music" like hymns and "The Yellow Jonquil" which I learned by myself...the teacher was dismissed. When I wanted to take voice lessons, the answer was "No". I did sing in the choir at Carrollton Presbyterian Church when Dr. John Caldwell was the minister and before the church moved to its present location on Carrollton Avenue. | Cousin Elsie Pickens (daughter of Margaret Helen Madden Pickens), Mildred, Dorothy Ivens | 38

39: I loved to rollerskate and won a season ticket once for being the most graceful skater on the floor. I was interested in all kinds of sports but football was my favorite. | As a "teenager", I attended many Philharmonic Concerts for a number of years. Some of the artists were Tabrazzini, Alma Gluck, Johanna Gadski, to name a few. I remember taking my father's shirts to a laundry nearby, owned and operated by a "Chinaman" and when washed and ironed I would pick them up. He always asked me then if I would like some Chinese nuts and I always accepted even though I was afraid of him and of having to go to a back room to get them...too delicious to refuse! Another errand I remember doing often was going to the | grocery store. One item often on the list was crackers. These did not come in boxes as in 1977 but in large containers called The Cracker Barrel. The clerk counted them and placed them in a paper bag, and, as with the "Chinaman's" nuts, I always left the store with a candy, we called that "lagniappe", a trifling present for nothing to the customer from the "tradesman". | 39

40: I was about 15 years old when I was invited to dances. Dance cards were given to the girls to be filled in by the boys. I was never a wall flower as the girls were called if their cards were not filled. Not many people owned cars so dates took us to and from dances on street cars. My mother forbade me to dance the "Two Step" and only allowed me to dance "the Waltz". I obeyed her the first time I went to a dance but after that I told her I would never promise again ONLY to waltz. | Streetcar traveling on the "Neutral Ground" (median) | Streetcar Riding on Neutral Ground (Median) | 40

41: Every year New Orleanians celebrated Mardi Gras. Everyone had a good time, with the beautiful balls, given after the parades: Momus, Comus,Proteus, Rex. It was a thrill to have a "call out" for a dance with a masked member of a Mardi Gras Krewe. I had a " call out" at one of the Balls. I suspected that it was Dr. J.J. Ryan who lived next door to us on Calhoun Street and who also was the doctor who brought Jack (Holmes III) into the world. This excerpt is from a letter written by Mildred in 1969: | Twelfth Night Ball opens the Debutante season.... Queen and Maids selected from the group of debutantes... Norvin's daughter Joel "made her debut" in the 1940's. In my diary all I wrote about: parties, dances, boys, clothes... I was not worth killing at that time! I wrote about going to the balls, had call outs and went to a ball in a carriage once! We even wore evening dresses to all the concerts...no casual age then, but the young people would do well to go back to the olden days with lots of dates with different boys. I really had a ball! | Mardi Gras too...... | 41

42: "Lafayette Cemetery #1 was once part of the Livaudais Plantation which became the City of Lafayette, subsequently the Garden District. It was designated a city burial site in 1833 and has been in continuous use since. It is significant culturally and architecturally as the city's first planned cemetery, distinguished by intersecting avenues designed to accommodate funeral processions. " #5 Lewis Elkin built and lived in a house on Prytania and Second Streets in New Orleans, not far from Lafayette Cemetery #1 where he owned a plot and tomb. He and his wife, Jane Fitch, are buried there. In his lifetime he willed the tomb to Jennie Oliver, Mildred's mother, but she predeceased him. | . New Orleanians also observed and enjoyed All Saints Day, November 1, the day after Halloween. On Halloween there were many neighborhood parties, games, dunking for apples, etc. But on All Saints Day, it was a time to remember the Dead. Everyone went to the cemeteries with brooms and flowers to clean and beautify the tombs. The cemeteries are called "Cities of the Dead". Children and adults all participated in the work and afterwards everyone enjoyed a picnic lunch there. It made a delightful outing! The cemetery where most of Mildred's family is buried is Greenwood at the end of Canal Street at City Park Avenue Downtown. Madden and Oliver relatives were for the most part buried at Greenwood Cemetery, the Girard Cemetery, and St. Louis Cemetery #3 on Esplanade Avenue. | 42

43: Lewis Elkin was the owner of a local carpet company (#4). He built a house in 1859 (see above picture). It exemplifies the dominant architectural fashion for houses during the period from 1850-1880 in New Orleans, particularly in the Garden District. (#4) | 43

44: Lydia Loomis married John Hampden Palmer. Both of them were from New England. They had five children; the third is Sarah Ann Palmer. After Hampden Palmer died, Lydia married John Fitch. Their only child was Jane Fitch. | Sarah Ann Palmer married Robert Many and their daughter is Julia Cherokee Many who married John Madden. Their daughter is Jennie Madden Oliver, my mother. Jennie is the granddaughter of Sarah Ann Palmer who is the half sister of Jane Fitch. | Family Connections to the Lafayette Cemetery #1 Tomb | 44

45: Jane Magoon Fitch was born in 1824 and died in 1880. She is the daughter of Lydia Loomis Palmer and John Fitch, both of whom were from New England. Jane married Lewis Elkin. They had five children, only one living beyond infancy: William Lewis Elkin. | 45

46: Elkin-Smith Tomb (in center of picture) Lafayette Cemetery #1 | William Lewis Elkin, son of Jane and Lewis, left New Orleans to live in New Haven, CT, where William was the Professor of Astronomy at Yale University. After William's death, his wife, Catharine gave the tomb to me in memory of my mother (Sept. 5, 1934). Holmes died in March 1943 and is buried there and I shall be also. | 46

47: First Cousins | Juliet Sebastian | Mildred | 47

48: I learned to swim in Norwood, Louisiana when I visited my mother's sister, Aunt Mary Sebastian, and her husband, Uncle Tobin ("Tobe") Sebastian. The creeks had deep holes in them where we could swim, like Thompson Creek, a great place with falls. I always called it Niagara Falls until I saw the Real Thing. | John Tobin Sebastian | Juliet Sebastian | 48

49: Every summer I visited Aunt Mary and Uncle Tobe from the time I was a little girl and even after I was married with children. They always gave me a happy time. There were a | great many young people always, those in town and out in the country, even New Orleans cousins and their friends, and of course, there were the three children of Aunt Mary and Uncle Tobe: John Tobin, Newton Loomis, and Juliet. Jennie and Clara Lee Snyder lived next door to Aunt Mary and "across the railroad tracks" lived the West Family. Mrs. West and Mrs. Snyder were Uncle Tobe's sisters . The West children were Laura and W.A.West, Jr. ("Juno") Miss Annie Sebastian also lived with the West family. She worked at the Bank of Norwood. | Newton Loomis Sebastian | 49

50: She always said that "Juno" and I would marry some day, but... Much good wholesome fun we all enjoyed in Norwood: hayrides, swimming in the creeks, picnics, horseback riding on Uncle Tobe's horse, Buster, walking up and down the railroad track, watermelon fights or going riding in the surrey drawn by Buster. | 48 | 50

51: We played Rook all day on the Sebastians' front porch. Rook was not unlike Bridge but the cards we used for Bridge were called "sin cards" in Norwood. The Big Store, Bridges and West, was where one could buy groceries, clothes, shoes, and even shaved ice with our favorite syrup poured over it. The Presbyterian Church Women's Organization in Norwood was called the Ladies Aide. They made beautiful quilts and sold them to people in town as well as people in New Orleans and Baton Rouge. When I was small I went with Aunt Mary to Mrs. Norwood's home in the country and though too small to quilt I enjoyed watching and eating the good lunch Mrs. Norwood served. In that day and time it was the custom for minors to call friends of our parents "aunt" or "uncle". My parents played bridge regularly with good friends Norvin and I called "Aunt Olie" and "Uncle Arthur" (Mr. and Mrs. A.L. Mayers). They were owners of a downtown jewelry store. When I was born they gave me a piece of silver and on each birthday thereafter. When I married they completed the | 51

52: set, all pieces were marked "O". Then there was "Aunt Mollie" Otis who lived in one of the parishes (counties) outside of New Orleans. I loved to visit her with my mother. | Newcomb College Pottery Teapot (1904) (#6) | 52 | Another friend was "Aunt Minnie " (Mrs. Mildred Beyer) whom my mother visited every week. she always served hot tea and cookies. (After my mother died, I continued to see her every week.) | When I was growing up, three people had a great influence in my life spiritually: Mr. Andrew Allison, Miss | Marjorie Miller and Miss Cora Richardson, all three were Sunday School teachers. Mr. Allison, a gentleman in his 90s when I knew him, with snow white hair: Marjorie Miller who was young and lost her life while

53: swimming. Her ashes were scattered over the Gulf of Mexico. And Cora Richardson who also met an unhappy end. She was a lovely young lady. She made her debut in New Orleans and that same year was selected to be the Queen of Comus, the most exclusive of the Krewes (clubs). Later she had a nervous breakdown and was so mentally disturbed that she was sent to a mental hospital not far from Norwood. I went to see her when I was in Norwood and she did not recognize me. Over the mantel in her hospital room hung her portrait when she was Queen of the Comus Ball and wearing the dress and crown she had worn then. Another influential friend was Miss Lois Garrison who had charge of the Chinese Mission. On Sunday afternoons I often went there to help a young Chinese student with his English. We used the Bible as our text. I thought the Chinese would rather know our language more than the Bible, but then that's how it was. He was one of a large contingent of Chinese in New Orleans most of whom could not speak English. | 53

54: My mother was a member of the Kings' Daughters, a service organization and through her I was invited to join the Willing Workers, a junior branch of her group. Other service avenues for me were visits to the sick at the Home for the Incurables and the Orphaned Children at the Poydras Home. We moved from our Calhoun house after many years to a double two storied one on St. Charles Avenue in the Carrollton section of the city. | In 1914 when I was seventeen years old, there was an outbreak of the Bubonic Plague (Black Death Pandemic) in New Orleans. The US Public Health Service sent doctors to the city to fight it. Five doctors came, with a Dr. Creel in charge: Drs. deValon, Charles Williams, Bruce A. Anderson, Lombard. It was not long before there was an article in the paper as follows: "It is a far cry from Rats to romance but when one of the doctors in November, 1914 married in New Orleans, three others of the medical corps that Dr. Creel had brought to town with him gallantly plunged into matrimonial ventures, the sum total is three married, one about to be married." "Doctors came to catch rats, catch brides instead." | 54

55: Lewise McLaurin was a friend of mine and I was invited to her wedding on March 1, 1915. When I entered the vestibule of the church it was Dr. John Holmes Smith, one of the ushers, who asked me where I would like to sit. I spotted my friends, the Steiner girls, so he escorted me to their pew. Dr. Smith had been in New Orleans only since January 1915, transferred from duty on Ellis Island (immigration) with the USPH to help with the plague in New Orleans. He had met the Steiners at the wedding of their sister Vivian and Dr. Lombard, another USPH doctor (another sister Aloise Steiner married William F. Buckley, Sr.). | 1. Dr. deValon married Miss Walton, Nov. 1914 2. Dr. Charles Williams married Lewise McLaurin. Both of them were in the deValon/Walton wedding as Best Man and Maid of Honor 3. Dr. Lombard married Vivian Steiner (friend of mine) 4. Dr. Bruce Anderson married 5. Dr. J. Holmes Smith married Mildred Oliver Sept. 22, 1915. | 55

56: About.............John Holmes Smith, Jr. and his family........... Holmes was born in Upper Falls, Baltimore County, Maryland on January 29, 1882. He was the son of John Holmes Smith and Adele Maud King. He was educated at Calvert Hall, a preparatory school in Baltimore. He was the first of four children: Mary Eliza, sister, Frederick Mitchell, brother, and another brother, David, who died at the age of four. His mother died on November 2, 1890 when Holmes was eight years old. Holmes's undergraduate work he took at the University of Maryland as well as his medical training. He received his medical degree with honors in the Class of 1905 (15 in a class of 88) and interned at the University of Maryland Hospital, after which he became an Associate Professor of Anatomy at the University of Maryland Medical School. In 1913, Holmes entered the United States Public Health Service, regular corps, and was stationed first at Ellis Island (immigration), New York, and then sent to join the team of doctors already in New Orleans to fight the bubonic plague. | 56

57: His father, John Holmes Smith, Sr., was the son of Thomas Stuart Crowe Smith who came to the United States from Nova Scotia, Canada and Mary Hooper Stump of Perry Point, Maryland. He was born March 30, 1857. He attended private schools before enrolling at St. Johns College, Annapolis, Maryland (King William's School). Having won a scholarship to the University of Pennsylvania, he graduated in medicine in1880. He practiced medicine in Harford and Baltimore counties for several years before settling in the city of Baltimore where he was the Professor of Anatomy at the University of Maryland. Dr. Smith married Adele Maud King, daughter of Dr. David and Eliza King of Kingsville, Maryland. Two years after Adele died, Dr. Smith married her sister, Adolphine King. | Perry Point, Maryland | 57

58: Dr. Smith lecturing at University of Maryland | John Holmes Smith, Sr. | Adele King Smith | 58

59: Frederick Mitchell Smith Brother | Mary Eliza Smith Sister | John Holmes Smith, Jr. | 59

60: The family lived in Baltimore, but also had a summer home in Kingsville, Maryland they called "Mount Mellik". The picture below is of this home, (as identified by JHS,Jr.) Also according to Holmes: "The story goes that Sir Joshua Smith was in Cromwell's army and went with him to Ireland. In Ireland, he was given an estate called Mount Mellik and for awhile lived in some style. Having lost their money they moved to Nova Scotia and succeeded in rebuilding their fortune only to lose it at a later date." | Mount Mellik | 60

61: After the wedding Dr. Smith asked the Steiners to introduce him to me which they did on the following Sunday evening for supper in their home on Carrollton Avenue. From then on I had a date with him every evening until September 22, 1915. My mother said she did not mind his coming to see me if only he would park his car on the side street not in front of the house. the neighbors, she said, would certainly talk about me. He did not take her suggestion and the car remained in front from March until September when we were married. I had a dog at that time and every evening Holmes (who liked to be called "Jack" ) and I would take him for a walk. One evening he ran out into the street, an auto hit and killed him. I dissolved into tears and the next evening Jack brought three of Rudyard Kipling's books with a marker at the poem, "Why give your heart to a dog to tear". All through our courtship Jack showered me with books, flowers, favorite piano scores, etc. The Kipling books and the complete set of Dickens were given to John Holmes,III | 61

62: John Holmes Smith, Jr. | 62

63: Mildred | 63

64: 64

65: We were married at my home on St. Charles Avenue with Dorothy Ivens as my only attendant. My dress was beautifully made by an exceptional seamstress, and, as I wanted, floor length, even though many brides were wearing short dresses, the waist of real lace, the skirt and train of satin lined in pale pink chiffon. | At the end of the evening and after telling my mother and friends goodbye, as we left for our honeymoon, I found my father on the porch waiting to say his goodbye to me. He had tears in his eyes but he told me they were sad tears for him but happy tears for me and my husband, his new son. I had never seen Papa cry before. | 65

66: We left on an auto trip along the Mississippi, destination Baton Rouge. First, we crossed the river by ferry and then "hit the road" struggling with rain all the way. For four days we slipped and slid along the unpaved, wet, muddy, and sandy road, finally reaching the ferry crossing to Baton Rouge and then booked passage on the train from there to New Orleans for both the car and us. Back in N.O. we took lodging at the Misses Work's Boarding House, 3116 Prytania Street. We had a lovely room with private bath on the second floor and room enough for my piano. A trip in the Spring to Baltimore was scheduled to meet Holmes's family. There I "fell in love" with Father Smith. I was 18 years old. | 64 | 66

67: 67

68: This picture taken by Barbara Hull in 1998 reflects the situation described in the following quote from UPTOWN/DOWNTOWN (#1): "Bernard Xavier Philippe de Marigny de Mandeville turned his plantation into the first New Orleans Faubourg, laid out in 1805. It was for residential use only. Today only a few of the original French and Creole inhabitants remain. Now a transient population rents dilapidated and neglected housing and the street environment shows a forest of tall poles and tangled wires which obstruct all views. The streets are choked with bumper to bumper traffic and cars are parked on the street 24 hours a day. Night life abounds." | 359 (1809-11) Dauphine Street | 68

69: As with any work which contains both historical fact and personal memories, there are problems with accuracy and fact versus memory. With regard to this book, minor instances of editorial license were taken: Mildred's words were copied verbatim with some few exceptions; the order of events in Mildred's narrative was changed to accommodate pictures and chronology when necessary and some portions of her narrative were deleted. Sometimes Mildred's dates or facts did not match the historical records and they were corrected when necessary. An example is the story of William Oliver's death on page 14. | 69

70: FOOTNOTES 1. UPTOWN/DOWNTOWN by Martinez and LaCorgue, 2 native New Orleanians, Published in 1986, University of Southwestern Louisiana, Baton Rouge Louisiana 70504 2. DEGAS IN NEW ORLEANS, Benfey, Published University California Press 1997 3. THE CREOLE FAUBOURGS; NEW ORLEANS ARCHITECTURE by Friends of the Cabildo, Pelican Publishing Company, P.O. Box 3110, Gretna, LA 70054-3110 4. CLASSSIC NEW ORLEANS, by William Mitchell, Jr. 1993. Martin and Martin Publishing Company 5. "Cities of the Dead" from "A Tour of Old New Orleans" by Save Our Cemeteries PO Box 58105, New Orleans, LA70158 6. Newcomb College Arts and Crafts Sales Exhibition Catalog Jean Bragg Gallery Oct. 30-Nov. 30, 1998 I have made a geneaology chart for each of my five children: two lines of Olivers and two of Smiths. | 67

71: As | As

Sizes: mini|medium|large|enormous
Default User
  • By: Page S.
  • Joined: almost 9 years ago
  • Published Mixbooks: 1

About This Mixbook

  • Title: OUR LIFE 1
  • Theme for Mixbook Scrapbookers
  • Tags: None
  • Published: over 8 years ago