BC: Photos © 2013 Charles G. Haacker
FC: Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania | Strasburg, pa, 2013
1: These pictures are just inside the entrance to the Pennsylvania State Railroad Museum, a world-class museum in Amish country. Historic locomotives are displayed inside a vast train shed, much of it lit by natural light.
2: GG1 | PRR G5s-class 4-6-0 Ten-Wheeler No. 5741 (1924)
3: Isn't she gorgeous? The mighty, magnificent GG1 No. 4935 "Blackjack" (1943) in her original Brunswick Green (not black) livery with five gold racing stripes. 139 GG1s were constructed by General Electric and PRR's Altoona Works from 1934 to 1943. The GG1 was 79 feet 6 inches long and weighed 475,000 pounds. The frame of the locomotive was in two halves joined with a ball and socket joint, allowing the locomotive to negotiate sharper curves. The control cabs were near the center of the locomotive to provide for greater crew safety in a collision and for bi-directional operation of the locomotive. | Replica "John Bull" 4-2-0 (Altoona Shops, 1939)
4: Top: Baldwin 2-6-0 Mogul, Virginia and Truckee No. 20, "Tahoe" (1875) Left: Reading B4a-class 0-6-0 Saddle-Tank Switcher No. 1251, "Roundhouse Goat" (1918) Right: Detail, PRR H3-class 2-8-0 Consolidation No. 1187 (1888), "Johnstown Flood." Three huge engines of this class were swept away by the flood of May 31, 1889.
5: 1825 John Stevens Steam Carriage (reproduction). Inventor John Stevens (1749-1838) designed and built this steam locomotive capable of hauling several passenger cars at his estate in Hoboken, New Jersey in 1825. It is cog-driven. You can see the rack and pinion between the big wheels, which were kept on the track by rollers as they were not flanged. | PR&L No. 4094-D, an 0-8-0 "Fireless" steam engine (Heisler, 1939). These engines were described as "giant thermos bottles."
6: Leetonia 65-3-class Shay (Lima Locomotive,1906) | Statue of Alexander Johnston Cassatt, 7th President of the PRR (1899-1906) | Boiler backhead from the engineer's chair | 1906 Shay
7: Refrigerator Car, Fruit Growers Express No. 57708 (1928). Before refrigerator cars Americans could only eat that which was locally grown. Beginning about the 1870's blocks of ice cut from rivers and lakes were loaded into insulated box cars, making it possible to ship fresh foods over long distances. Special platforms were built to facilitate refreshing the ice, but if there was no platform the only way to get the ice in was to carry it up a ladder, as seen above.
8: PRR B1-class Electric Coach Switcher No. 5690 (1934). Behind it, on the left, is a 1918 Two-Truck Heisler No. 4, Gear-Driven Locomotive. | PRR EP20 (EMD E7A) No. 5901 (1945). "Bulldog nose" E7's numbers 5900 and 5901 were the first passenger-class diesel-electrics in the PRR roster.
9: Muscular! PRR B6-class 0-6-0 Yard Switcher No. 1670 (1916) was one of the first B-class engines to have the new superheaters, broad-shouldered Belpaire firebox, and a power reverse. The only reason this engine could not have gone on the road was lack of a pilot. | ^ Mechanic's-eye-view. No. 1187 weighs 114,620 pounds, operated at a boiler pressure of 140 psi, and delivered tractive effort of 22,848 lbs. It is displayed over a service pit so that you can get underneath and inspect the underside. | Scale Test Car, used to calibrate the scales used to weigh loaded railroad cars.
11: Overview from a thoughtfully provided catwalk. Center left is PRR H3-class 2-8-0 Consolidation No. 1187 (1888). There were some 890 class H3 locomotives built at the Altoona shops from 1885 to 1897. No. 1187 is sometimes called the "Johnstown Flood" engine because several of her sisters were destroyed at Johnstown in the Great Flood of 1889, a wall of water that killed 2,200 people within a half hour period along the nine miles between South Fork and Johnstown.
12: Large Static Model PRR H3-class 2-8-0 Consolidation No. 1814 This scale model Consolidation was built in 1889 for president of the railroad George B. Roberts. These handsome 2-8-0's helped make the Pennsylvania the largest railroad in the world by the turn of the 20th century. | 0-4-2 Saddle Tank Locomotive Olomana (1883). This little pufferbelly was built by Baldwin for the Waimanalo Sugar Company of Oahu to haul sugar cane from the fields to the refinery. | PRR H6sb-class 2-8-0 Consolidation No. 2846, built by Baldwin in 1905. 2846 had an incredible service life of 51 years. These engines were the literal workhorses of the Pennsylvania for much of its existence
13: PRR EMD RFS17m-GP9 No. 7006 (1955). The PRR bought 270 of these clunky, solid units, four-axle diesel-electric locomotives, from GM's Electro-Motive Division, from Jan, 1954 to Aug, 1963. These were true General Purpose engines, and they eventually spelled the end of steam on the Pennsy. | PRR E2a-class 4-4-2 Atlantic No. 7002 (1902). E2a-class Atlantic No. 7002 made a record-setting 127.1 mph run in 1905, breaking the ground speed record with Jerry J. McCarthy at the throttle.
15: Replica "John Bull" 4-2-0 (Altoona Shops, 1939)
16: A5s-class 0-4-0 Switcher No. 94 Built in 1917, no. 94 was not retired until 1956. The 0-4-0 pattern is perfect for tight clearances, sharp curves, and short sidings. The short wheelbase allows for great maneuverability and puts all the locomotive's weight over the driving wheels. The A5s was one of the most muscular 0-4-0's ever built. | "Thermos on Wheels," PR&L No. 4094-D 0-8-0 "Fireless" steam engine (Heisler, 1939).
17: ^ PRR H6sb-class 2-8-0 Consolidation No. 2846, Baldwin, 1905. 2846 had an incredible service life of 51 years. These Consolidations were the literal workhorses of the Pennsylvania for much of its existence. | ^ Badly, sadly deteriorating 4-6-2 K4(s) outside in the weather.
18: Another view, from the catwalk: GG1 No. 4935 "Blackjack" (1943) in her original Brunswick Green (not black) livery with five gold racing stripes.
20: PRR K4s-class 4-6-2 Pacific No. 3750 (1920)—The Official Steam Locomotive of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. This engine, built in the Altoona shops in 1920, is one of only two surviving K4’s. Number 3750 was completely restored as a display engine in 1983. But if it was completely restored nearly to running condition 30 years ago, how is it that it has been allowed to weather to this (quite honestly) deplorable condition?