Get up to 50% Off + MORE! Code: MML18 Ends: 5/28 Details

  1. Help
Get up to 50% Off + MORE! Code: MML18 Ends: 5/28 Details

The Anthology

Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.

The Anthology - Page Text Content

S: The Anthology

BC: Dave, Travis, Austin, Trevyn, Nicky, Brian, Chauncey, Tom, Pat, Patty, Skylar, Gabby, Kaylie, Charlie Jess. Ramie, Lisa, Pidge, Vickie, Barb, Chauncey Stephanie, Linda, Erin, Meghann, Santigo, Bella, Faith, Lacey, Kathy, Kelley, Jonathan Davey, Lisa, Diane This photo was taken Patty's home at a family gathering in October, 2011.

FC: The Kelley Anthology | keep the story going......

2: Thomas and Alice Kelley | Thomas Kelley was born on June 9, 1868 in St. John's New Brunswick. He was one of the three sons of Peter and Margaret "Callahan" Kelley. Thomas had one sister, Mary Kelley, and two brothers, John and Charles. Not much is known about him. The thing most often said about Thomas is that he was an alcoholic. He Married Alice McKinnon and they had four children, Thomas wasn't very well liked by his children. He was often drunk and wasn't much of a father to them. Louville had to work to support his brothers and sisters. Louville was especially bitter toward him for this reason. It is a terrible way to remember a man but Thomas Kelley will always be remembered as a typical Irish drunk. Thomas died in June 1948. | Alice McKinnon was born in 1870. Her mother and father were Zilphy "Smith" and Neil McKinnon. She was a strong woman. She raised and took care of her four children and husband even though he gave her no support. Alice died in 1948. | Edith Guay, Hellen Bernier, David Guay | LC, Hellen and Edward

3: Children of Alice "McKinnon" and Thomas Kelley Louville Edward Edith (Guay) Hellen (Berneir) | Virgina Bernier and Cynthia Guay 1939 Augusta, Maine | Hellen Bernier's children | Zilphy and Bill Kinch, children of Alice McKinnon's sister, Gertrude | Virginia, John and Hellen Bernier with LC and Gertrude

4: Jonathan and Josephine Davis | Jonathan Davis was born in 1843. He was born in a small town outside of Gettysburng, Maryland called Tarneytown. He was born on a farm. As a boy it is said that he could hear the guns being fired at the battle of Gettysburg during the Civil war. Jonathan was a big, strong, good looking man. He was even tempered, smart, enterprising and a man of few words. He owned and ran a lumber company in Pennsylvania. He floated his logs down Elk Creek. Then he bought a hotel in Rossaleur, Pennsylvania. This is where he got the nickname Chauncey from. He had a lot of Swiss people working for him and they couldn't pronounce Jonathan so they called him Chauncey. By this time, Jonathan had made quite a bit of money and was considered a wealthy man. But then tragedy struck and his hotel burnt down. He was gettting pretty old and to support himself and his wife, Josephine Spuller, he started a garden and sold his vegetables. When Jonathan died on April 13, 1931 there was no more of his fortune to be found. | Jonathan and Josephine Davis in front of hotel | Josephine's Birthday

5: Josephine Spuller was born in 1855 in Kersey, Pennsylvania. Her mother was a Fessler and her father was, of course, a Spuller. Josephine married Jonathan Davis and they had seven children. When their hotel burned down she climbed out of the window to safety down a rope. Josephine was small and pretty and she was dark skinned. She was a devout Catholic. She was an excellent seamstress and like almost all of the women in her time, she was an excellent cook. She sewed a lot by hand. She also had an old singer machine that she worked by a pedal. Josephine died in 1938 and she passed a lot of her talents on to her descendants. | Children of Josephine "Spuller" and Jonathan Davis Irving 8/4/1880 Jonah 5/23/1882 Laura (Drummond) 2/6/1884 Gertrude (Kelley) 12/26/1886 Barbara Ned "Nettie" (Lange) 6/12/1889 Virginia (Collins) 11/3/1892 Josephine (Schwager) 11/16/1898 | Daughters of Jonathan and Josephine friend on far right, Gert second from right | Josephine at the farm | Jonathan and Josephine on right

6: Louville Charles Kelley was born August 26, 1887 in Berlin, New Hampshire. Louville was the oldest of the four children of Thomas and Alice Kelley. He had two sisters, Edith (Guay), Hellen (Bernier) and one brother, Edward Kelley. | Louville Charles Kelley | ellen Kelley Rumford, Maine 1909 | Louville Kelley | Louville 1917 Jacksonville, Florida

7: After returning from his military tour, Louville worked in papermills throughout southern Canada and northern Maine rolling the paper on rolls. | Louville worked in papermills throughout southern Canada and northern Maine as an A. Backtender. His job was to work at the back of the machine and roll paper on the rolls. He withdrew from the union on May 5, 1918. | Louville left the paper business to work with a friend in the carnival and began his career as a "talker"

8: Lovville met and married Gertrude Davis in 1917. This photo of the Kelley Family; Gertrude, Alice and Louville, was taken in 1919 | Louville fought in World War I in 1918. He was stationed in France when this photo was taken. | Brother Ed also served in the military in 1918

10: Carny Friends of L.C. Kelley

11: Louville and Gertrude eventually moved to St. Mary's to care for her aging parents. Louville worked at the local tannery and retired from there at the age of 65. After retiring from the tannery he and Gertrude moved to Baltimore and after a few years settled in Dallas Texas. Louville passed away in 1989.

12: Gertrude Davis | Gertrude Barbara Davis was born December 26, 1886. She was born in Kersey, Pennsylvania. Gertrude was the fourth of the seven children of Josephine and Jonathan Davis. She had two brothers, Erwin and Jonah, and four sisters, Laura (Drummond), Barbara Ned "Nettie" (Lange), Virginia (Collins) and Josephine (Schwager). Not much is known about her early childhood. Gertrude loved to roller skate. Another thing that she liked to do and did really well was raise vegetables and just general gardening. It is said that she had a green thumb. Gertrude raised all of her own vegetables. A couple of the jobs that she had when she was young are she dipped candy in chocolate in a candy factory and she worked as a demonstrator in department stores. She married Louville Kelley in 1917. They had three children. | Children of Louville and Gertrude Kelley Alice (Bronder) Arthur Ned | Gertrude with siblings is in the center of this photo.

14: John Neubert was born in the year 1873. Not much is known about him or his life. He married Theresa Heibger around 1890. They had 10 children together. John owned and operated a butcher shop. It is said that he made a delicious sausage. John came from German descent. He was big and mentally as well as physically strong. John Neubert died in 1918 and left little to remember him by except his name. | Theresa Heibger was born in 1874. She was a beautiful woman. She was also of German descent. She was really an excellent cook. Theresa had 10 children with John and that didn't leave her much time to do anything but mother her children. She was an excellent mother and raised a happy family. She passed on her easy way of going and it still shows in her descendent's up to this present day. She died in 1923. | John and Theresa Neubert | Children of John and Theresa Neubert Elmer Fred Carl Joseph Alfred Josephine Mayme Hilda Amelia Levina

15: Photos of John and Theresa could not be located. These photos are of Elmer and his brothers.

16: Joseph and Anna Imhoff | Joseph Imhof was born in 1873. He had two sisters, Kelley (funny it's even the same spelling) and Kerner and three brothers, George, Fred and Charlie. In 1891, Joseph married Anna Gerg. They had nine children, seven boys and two girls. Joseph was a very handsome man. He also owned and ran his own business. It was a bakery in Hamburg, New York. After that he moved to St. Mary's, Pennsylvania. He then became a manager in a department store called "Jacob and Keller". Anna died in 1917 of influenza. Joseph remarried Clara Zelt. Joseph Imhof passed away in 1957 | Not very much is known about Anna Gerg as she passed away at an early age. She was born around 1875. She married Joseph Imhof in 1891. They had seven boys and two girls. With all of those children she spent most of her time just being a housewife. Anna was a heavy set person. She was proud of herself and her family. Anna died at the age of 42 in the year of 1917 of influenza. Her daughter Antionette, took over most of her duties as a mother and raised the rest of the family that was living at home at the time. | Children of Joseph and Anna Imhof Sylvester Joseph Francis Alfred Edward Antionette (Neubert, Donachy) Louise Clarence Andrew | Joseph Imhoff on left with family | Imhoff bakery in Hamburg, NY

17: Joseph and Anna Imhoff and chlidren. Antionette is front right taken in 1915

18: Elmer John Neubert | Elmer John Neubert was born July 13, 1895 in St. Mary's, Pennsylvania to John and Theresa Neubert. He had four brothers, Fred, Carl, Joseph, Alfred, and five sisters, Josephine, Mayme, Hilda, Amelia, and Levina. "Butch" as Elmer was better known to his friends as, was in the Army During World War I. He worked in the Medical Corps. When he returned to St. Mary's in 1919, Elmer got a job with St. Mary's Light and Power Company. He worked as a lineman for five years. After that Elmer was promoted to Line Foreman and he was transfered to Ridgway, Pennsylvania. He lived there until 1938 when he moved back to St. Mary's. Elmer was credited with constructing lines to Ridgway, St. Mary's, Johnsonburg, Emporium and Coudersport. He married Antionette Imhof on June 15, 1920. They had three girls and one boy. Elmer raised a happy family and was a great provider. He passed away on May 19, 1949. | Children of Elmer and Antionette Neubert Mary Jane (Kelley) Shirley (Webb) Betty (Karski) Jack

19: Antoinette Marie Imhof was born February 6, 1899. She was one of the two daughters of Joseph and Anna Imhof, her one sisters name was, Louise. Antionette had seven brothers; Joseph, Clarence, Edward, Sylvester, Alfred, and Francis. She was born in St. Mary's Pennsyhlvania. Her mother died of influenza while she was pretty young. Antionette cared for and raised her younger brothers and sister. She married Elmer John Neubert on June 15, 1920 and moved away from home. She was a devoted mother. Antionette made a lot of her childern's clothes and they were always nicely dressed. She was an excellent cook. The happy and devoted mother that she was reflected in her children as they all raised happy families. Her husband died on May 19, 1949. Two years later she married Joseph Donachy. While still raising her own family, Antionette took care of her own father and stepmother until they died. After her parents passed away, they moved to Erie, Pennsylvania. Antionette suffered a stroke in 1976 leaving her paralyzed and speechless. | Antionette Marie Imhof

20: May 3, 1921 - November 2, 1999 | Mary Jane Neubert | Mary Jane Neubert Kelley was the oldest of the four children of Elmer and Antionette Neubert. She had two sisters, Shirley and Betty and a brother, Jack, who was the youngest. | Mary Jane was born in St. Mary's Pennsylvania. She moved with her family to Ridgeway at the age of 2 and returned to St. Mary's when she was 14. She graduated from Central High School in St. Mary's in 1939.

21: Shirley and Mary Jane

22: Arthur Charles Kelley | Alice Art | September 30, 1920 - January 19, 1991 | Arthur Charles Kelley was the second of the three children of Louville and Gertrude Kelley. He had one older sister, Alice and a younger brother, Ned. Art was born and grew up in St. Marys, Pennsylvania. He played on the "Flying Dutch Men" football team when he was in high school. He graduated from St. Mary's High school in 1938.

23: Ned Kelley, Janette Bernier, Art Kelley

24: Art and Mary Jane Kelley as told by Mary Jane | In the spring of 1993 my brother Jack and his wife Bertha visited us here in Vail Arizona. While they were here, Chauncey drove us up to Happy Valley, a beautiful spot in the Rincon Mountains, where we took Art’s ashes. He passed away January 20, 1991. He loved it up there in the mountains, riding Famar. I think back about our life together, when we met at a dance in May 1938, the year he graduated from High School. Although we were both living in the little town of Saint Marys Pennsylvania we went to different schools. I attended Catholic High School and he attended Public High. He invited me to his senior prom and after that we dated off and on for the next year. During the summer of 1938 he started working at Speer Carbon Company. After I graduated in 1939 I got a job at Speer Resistor Company in the same location. In the meantime, he also attended Williamsport Technical School. After completing the course as a machinist, he was offered a job with “Westinghouse” in Baltimore Maryland which he accepted. He commuted from Baltimore to Saint Mary’s just about every weekend, until we were married in St. Mary’s Catholic Church, December 27, 1941.

25: After a small wedding breakfast, we left for Baltimore where I would now be making my home. We found a small two room apartment with a very nice young couple, Mabel and Norman Lydon and their 9 year old daughter, Mabel. We became very good friends. Being a stranger in a strange city and coming from a small town, I felt very fortunate to find such a good friend as Mabel. We weren’t living there very long, when Arts brother, Ned, came to stay with us. He followed in his brothers footsteps and also got a job at Westinghouse. He found a room close by but spent a lot of time with us. I became pregnant with David the following March (1942). Our first year in Baltimore was very exciting to me. Many of our friends from St. Mary’s came to visit us. We visited Washington D.C. several weekends by train; every Thursday night we attended the Hippodrome theater where the big bands played in person. | Mabel, David and Mary Jane | Mary Jane 1939 | Mary Jane with unknown friend | Betty, Shirley, Antionette, Mary Jane David, Jack

26: In January of 1944, Art was drafted into the Navy. Shirley and I kept the apartment for awhile after he left. It was difficult with a baby and all so I decided to move back with my parents in Pennsylvania. Shirley stayed in Baltimore with some friends and got a job working for the government. After the war was over and Art came home he worked for Smith Brothers Department Store in Saint Mary’s but we missed Baltimore and decided to go back there. He got his old job back at Westinghouse and we found a house to rent. Ned had also joined the Navy and returned to Baltimore after the war. While Art was aboard ship he met a friend who taught him how to develop negatives and print photos. He set up a dark room in the basement of the house we rented and spent a good deal of time taking and developing pictures. In the meantime, he became very good friends with a couple of guys, Herman and Bill Harris, who had a photo shop across the street from Westinghouse. Since it was so near to his place of work, he spent a good deal of time at the studio. Things were going along quite well, we were expecting our second baby, David was in school and Art had a good job. Meanwhile, Herman and Bill were talking about selling their photo business. I had borrowed $500 from my folks for a down payment on a house I liked, but since Art was so interested in the business of photography and the photo shop was for sale, the money was invested in the business. | Mary Jane, Art, David

27: Dave's Childhood Memories I was the first grandchild and was spoiled rotten. Dad’s parents lived in St. Mary’s right down the street. Uncle Jack tells a story about the trouble I caused him. Mom made him take me to the park where he went to play baseball. After the game he went home but I was not with him, he forgot me, mom was beside herself. He was going to be dead if anything happened to me. They went looking for me, I had gone up the street to grandma Kelley’s trailer, and she always had treats for me. I must have been around 6 at that time. Two other siblings came along brother Tom and sister Mary Katherine. The story on Pidge is | mom and dad would put her in the crib, next morning she would be in bed with them. They didn’thow she did it so dad, liking nick names, said she was like a pigeon and flew there. There was a restaurant in the area where we lived. They had a yard in the back, where they kept the live chickens. The cook would go out and wring a chicken neck when he needed one to cook. I was watching one day and that looked like fun. So I went in and wrung a number of the chicken’s necks. As in the Christmas Story I wanted a Daisy Red Rider BB gun really bad. Christmas morning I go up early and found the gun. When the rest of the family got up, I had shot all the bulbs off the Christmas tree. There is another story about shooting the windows in the school but I don’t believe that one. One day I was playing with the hose in the back yard. I had seen one of the neighbors cleaning the back of his house with a hose. I decided to clean the next door neighbor’s house, it looked dirty. What I didn’t know was the door and windows were open. It really wasn’t my fault the kitchen filled up with water but nobody saw it my way. All this went on while we lived on Bankard Ave. I was about 7 when we moved to Fredrick St.

28: Art quit his job at Westinghouse and he and Ned worked at the studio. Tommy was born March 1, 1948. Ned and Art were doing rather well at the business. Ned made all of the contacts, obtaining quite a few commercial accounts and Art did the inside work. He and Art worked well together and always got along. Things were going along fine until the house we were renting was sold. Once again we had to go house hunting. At that time, finding a place to rent was next to impossible. We sent David up to my parents to spend the summer and Art and I with Tommy rented a room from a friend. We spent most of our time at the studio. Tommy was 5 months old when I found out I was pregnant again. Here we are with 2 children, another on the way and no home..but.we do have a business! But even when it’s the darkest, there’s always a light at the end of the tunnel and we were blessed again. | Tommy Kelley | Mary Jane and David | Joeseph Imhoff, Elmer Neubert Jack Neubert, Dave Kelley

29: We found a very nice downstairs apartment. The fellow didn't want to rent to anyone with children but his daughter and her husband lived upstairs. She and I hit it off right away and she talked her dad into renting it to us. Her name was Kay, she had no children and was very excited about our expecting. She had a baby shower for me, and I think she was as excited about our new arrival as we were. One thing Art always looked on our children as blessings. Our first baby girl was born on May 1 1949. I named her Kathryn and planned on calling her Kay after my friend Kay. Since she was born on May 1, the month of the mother of God, I called her Mary Kathryn but her dad called her his Pidgeon and from then on it was shortened to Pidge. A few weeks before she was born, my dad became quite ill. Since the doctors in St. Marys couldn't pinpoint his problem, they transferred him to John Hopkins in Baltimore. He passed away there on May 19 at the age of 54. Art was so good through it all. He sat up all night with my dad until he tied and took care of all the arrangements for my mother. After the funereal we returned to Baltimore. Then Pidge and Tommy became sick with whooping cough. But we were blessed once again and they came through it without any complications. | Pidge | Tom & David | Joesph Imhoff, Elmer Neubert Jack Neubert, Dave Kelley

30: Art and Ned were doing quite well with the photo business. The building where they rented the studio came up for sale. In a package deal there were two store fronts plus three apartments. | My mother lent us the money for a down payment and with the boys G.I loans they were able to make the purchase. This meant moving again. The one apartment was 6 rooms which was great for us and both the others we could rent out.

31: In the meantime, Shirley had met and married John Webb. He was a guide dog trainer in the Coast Guard. When he was discharged, they moved to St. Mary’s and built a dog kennel and apartment. He was an excellent trainer and built up quite a business there. We became very good friends as well as relatives. John had several clients in Baltimore so they visited us quite often. They were planning a trip to Kentucky one time and invited us to join them and meet his family. We were to join them in St. Marys and continue the trip from there. Ned would take care of our place while we were gone. We drove to St. Marys at night so the children would be sleeping. | Mary Jane Shirley, LC Diane, Pidge, Tom | When we arrived at the Webb’s there was a message from Ned. There was quite a fire in the building that we rented out to a Mr. Shipiro who had an upholstery business. So we had to turn around and travel back to Baltimore. Never did get a chance to meet Johnny’s parents. | John and Shirley's wedding Art and Betty

32: The insurance money helped us to remodel the store that burned and we were fortunate to rent it to a party who had a produce market. Ned was fixing up the upstairs of that part of the building for his apartment but his girlfriend (they were engaged to be married) didn’t like it and unless he got some other kind of work, there would be no wedding. Ned decided to go his way and bowed out of the business. After all that, they never did get married anyway. Without Ned it was difficult for Art to do the darkroom work, outside contacts and photography. Another decision had to be made. I don’t know how it all came about, I didn’t want to move back to St. Mary’s but we ended up renting all the buildings (2 storefronts and 3 apartments) and going into the dog business with Johnny and Shirley. That became quite interesting as it entailed many projects; training, grooming, boarding and breeding along with a dog act. We each had three children by this time. Diane, Ralph and Wayne Webb and our Tommy all assisted in the dog act. They all looked adorable in their uniforms. They traveled around nearby towns performing at different schools, clubs, etc. even appeared on TV in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania. Shirley and I took care of the place while they were gone. We all raised and sold Schipperke puppies. Once again while things seem be rolling along ok, another big heartache. While working in the kennel one evening Art doubled up in pain. We rushed him to the doctor who rushed him to the hospital. He was operated on that night for a perforated ulcer. We almost lost him. But, blessed again, he pulled through ok. He was put on a strict diet and had to take it easy for quite awhile. | Shirley, LC, Pidge and Diane at Webbwood Kennels

33: Dave Kelley's Webbwood Memories We moved to Webbwood, which was a dog kennel owned by John & Shirley Webb (Mom’s sister). The Webb family also lived there. There were 4 adults and 7 children David, Tom, Mary, Stephen Kelley and Diane, Ralph, Wayne Webb. Webbwood was located about 3 miles out of town on S. Michael Rd. Uncle John was a dog trained and Tom and Diane were part of the acts the dogs performed. We had a cow and chickens, it was a family farm. We had to milk the cow and gathered eggs every day. I remembered dad worked at a men’s store. He was a window designer. St Mary’s had a carnival that came to town every year. It set up at the park. My cousins Michael and Ned Bronder came every summer and they stayed with Grandma & Grandpa Kelley. They were my age and we spent a lot of time together. They sold Webbwood in 1954 and the Webb’s went to Rochester Michigan. Uncle John got a job with Leader Dogs for the Blind. We stayed in St Mary’s until the summer of 1955.

34: In the meantime we sold the place in Baltimore and Johnny and Shirley moved to Erie Pennsylvania. The prospects of a bigger, better kennel looked good there at the time. Art and I kept the boarding and grooming business going in St. Mary’s. Art also worked at several different jobs, one as a tax assessor, another as a window dresser and advertising for a local department store (Smith Brothers). While we were still living in St. Mary’s our son Stephen was born December 27, 1955 on our 13th wedding anniversary. In the meantime, Johnny had gotten a job in Rochester, Michigan, working as a trainer for Leader Dogs for the Blind. They bought a house in a new development between Rochester and Utica. The fellow who built their house was building another one right next door to them. They wanted us to come out there, since the kennel wasn’t doing too well. Art was a little skeptical but I wanted the house. They sold the kennel and we made the move. Art went back to work in a machine shop. In fact he worked in different shops in Rochester, Utica, Troy, and then worked at Huck Manufacturing in Detroit as a quality control engineer. We spent 12 years on Brenton Drive and were blessed with 4 more children. Faith was born on March 2, 1956, Patty born April 12, 1958, Kathy, January 18, 1960 and Chauncey, November 15, 1962. It was a great place to raise a family. Wide open spaces until all the property around us was being sold and houses going up all over. Our place was all fenced in and we never put up a fence. | Kathleen Jane | David, Art Tom, Pidge, Mary Jane Steve, Faith , Patty, Kathy | Art, Patty, Mary Jane, David Pidge, Tommy,Faith, Steve

35: Shirley, Mary Jane, Patty, Art, Faith, Steve, John, Keith Lange (friend), Wayne, Kevin Lange (friend) Pidge, Tom, LC | Kathleen Kelley | Faith Ann Kelley | Jonathan Kelley | David, Tom, Pidge, Steve, Faith , Patty, Kathy | Pidge, Faith, Patty, Kathy

36: David finished school and a few years later married Linda Wiatr. One day Art said, “What do you think of the idea of selling everything and moving to Arizona or ? Everyone thought we were crazy, but I thought it was a great idea. We put the house up for sale early in 1966 hoping to move when the kids got out of school in June. We had a buyer right off but they couldn’t come up with the money so we took it off the market until the following year. We bought a Starcraft camper and in June 1967 we started out to places unknown. Tommy graduated from High School and decided not to go with us. We had quite a summer that year. We headed for Canada and Expo 67. I’m not going into detail here about everything we saw and did but Art was great for planning an itinerary. | Dave Kelley | Mary Jane, Pidge, Kathy, Patty, Grandma Neubert, Faith | Pidge, Faith, Patty, Kathy

37: Like a coin, a story has more than one side, and this is my take on what seemed to prompt Dad's move from Michigan. It was 1964 my junior year of High School. First semester had just finished and the school calls and wants to know if I was coming back to school. Mom tell the women that I was still in school and the women said I had not complete a full week of school in the last semester. I'll condense the story here, Dad calls the school the next day and gets a meeting with the principal and tells him he is taking me out of school and I am not to be on school property anymore. We get home and he reads me the riot act about how I won't even make a good bum the way I am heading. | Next up Pidge lands the next blow. Not going into details here but she has to go stay with Aunt Alice in Texas. In my opinion this was the straw that broke the camel's back. Dad has some what lost touch with Dave by now,he is married and has his own family to tend to. I wasn't up on what was going on with Steve at the time but I don't think he was helping matters. I go back to school in fall of 1965 and graduate in June of 1967. I think it was in April - May I was told that they had sold the house and were leaving Michigan, Dad mumbled something about losing three kids here and he wasn't losing anymore. I was told I was more than welcome to come along. I had some time to think about it, 18 years old, graduating from high school, and no place to live or job. When the time came to make a decision I looked at that camper and pick up truck and my 5 siblings loading up and decided I was going to take my chances in Michigan. So here is the bum on the front porch at 52630 Brenton Dr. with diploma in hand saying goodbye to my family (the ones that were left) and not knowing what the future was holding. We all ended up having our own happy trails in the end. | The Kelley's Depart From Michigan | as told by Tom Kelley | Tom

38: The Trip | as told by Steve Kelley | Dad never included the kids in any household decisions that I know of so I really don't know what all the reasons were for leaving Michigan, except for maybe what I've put together on conjecture. I think on one hand he felt trapped in the endless, dead end, 9 to 5 going nowhere way of life (although he worked the night shift it was still the same feeling I'm sure). He had eight kids between 19 and 4 years old and we were all going our own way, I know I was. Between Tom, Pidge, and me (with Faith Ann coming along right behind me) he had his share of problem children growing up in the '60s. My feeling is that instead of just carrying on and watching his family fracture like so many families of that time, he decided to do something about it. The decision to leave Michigan was not made in a hurry, moving was talked about for so long I ceased to believe it was going to happen. Then, all of the sudden, one day in June of '67 we were loading everything that would fit in the back of his pickup truck (including five of the eight kids, covered with a camper shell), hooking up a Starcraft tent trailer packed to the gills, and down the road we went. Even though I had done everything in my power to remain behind, I quickly fell in step with the routine of constantly moving from place to place, campsite to campsite, with some vague destination in mind. I really don't think Dad had any clear idea of where he was actually going but thought “what the hell, let's go to the World's Fair”, which at the time was in Montreal, Canada at the time. First we headed north to Mackinaw Island up in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. This place really sticks out to me because it was the first place I'd ever been where there were no cars. The whole island was set up along the lines of what life was like in the early nineteenth century. The only vehicles on the island were horse drawn and the whole thing really provided for an intriguing environment. Other than going off to explore the various campsites we'd been at, this was the first place I remember really 'wandering'. Rather than stay with the family group I would separate, take off by myself, and be gone for the majority of the day. I really can't say as I knew what my parents thought of this, but I don't remember getting any flak from it.

39: This pattern wandering and being gone all day had started back in Michigan when I was around eight or ten. I would take off in the morning, one thing always seemed to lead to another, and the whole day would just slip by. Wandering around Mackinaw Island it never occurred to me that I could get lost or any harm come to me being on my own for hours at a time, I simply enjoyed the wandering. I should mention here that I had begun fooling around with smoking cigarettes sometime around the age of ten, by this time (I'm now twelve) I was well and truly addicted. Since it was unheard of for a boy of twelve to smoke in front of his parents, I was always going off by myself to smoke. This may have added to always wanting to be off by myself; I only say added to because I know my desire to be wander off alone runs deeper than any one influence. As our trip progressed, we made our way east over to Montreal, Canada. This being where the world's fair was being held that year and Dad must have seen visiting there as an opportunity not to be passed up. It was fun traveling through Canada. It had the feeling of being in a foreign country yet still close to home. I feel I should remember more of the World's Fair than I do; the sad part is I really don't have many memories that I can recall. The pattern of taking off by myself was by now firmly established, and once again it never occurred to me that I could get lost or any harm come to me. Traveling from island to island on their monorail system, I was just enjoying the sights; moving from exhibit to exhibit and having the time of my life. We must have stayed there for a couple of weeks before deciding it was time to move on. | Mary Jane continues........ We traveled around for 4 months before we hit Tucson in October. We stopped here because we had to get the children in school. Actually we were going to Brownsville, Texas but while in Texas there was a hurricane which prevented us from going there. It might have been a blessing in disguise. We camped at a Tucson Mountain Park after we arrived here. We stayed there about a week while we looked the area over. Art had been in Tucson while he was in the service and liked it but he didn’t think I would like it because of the desert, etc. but I fell in love with Tucson. We found a little ranch to rent on Sabino Canyon Road. We got Steve, Faith, Patty and Kathy in school. Chauncey hadn’t started school yet and Pidge was out of school.

40: One morning while looking at the paper she found and ad for a fill for sale $35. She talked her dad into going to look at it. The fellow who had her for sale also had a 15 year old gelding, very gentle for riding and a young stud ready for training. Art bought all three. The filly we called “Phyllis”, the old horse “Lightening” and Steve’s project to train, “Handsfull”. When the children got home from school they were ecstatic. But one riding horse and six children created a problem so Art proceeded to buy more horses. In the process of doing so, Steve became quite an accomplished rider. His ability to ride and handle a horse was amazing. Art’s ability to maintain all that he read and studied about horses, one would think he was born and raised on a ranch. We had no TV at the time and in the evenings Patty would say, “Let's talk horse”. We bought and sold horses and also boarded a few. Art came up with the idea of leasing horses by the month and forming a riding club. Through this association, we met a couple who were managing the “Rocking K Ranch”. They bought Lightening for their girls and we became quite friendly with them and visited back and forth. They thought we might be interested in renting the little house off the main ranch and also including the big barn and the riding area surrounding it. At that time, there were no other horses around there. This sounded almost too good to be true so we made the deal, and moved all our horses, etc there around January 1969. We put the children in Vail school. Pidge wasn't with us anymore. While still on Rocking K, Tom had married Kathy Harmer in Michigan. They had a nice big wedding and Pidge was in the wedding party. While she was up there, she renewed her relationship with Jerry Helzer and a few months later, they were married and set up housekeeping in Utica, Michigan. The ones still in school, Chauncey, 1st grade, Kathy 3rd, Patty 5th, Faith 7th and Steve 8th. Vail school at the time was very small and they all adjusted very well. The riding club was doing well, we bought and sold more horses.

41: The Webbs came to visit several times. They liked Tucson and decided to move here so the Webbs and Kelleys were together once again. We had many enjoyable times together. Johnny and Shirley opened up a boarding and training kennel on Grant Road and Shirley also did grooming. | Shirley & John Webb | Steve Kelley | Mary Jane | Art

42: Misfortune struck again when I had an emergency operation for a par esophagus hernia. While I was recuperating in the hospital, Kathy spilled hot grease down the front of her body. Art quickly got her to the hospital as she was burned quite badly. With all this extra expense, it put us back financially. Besides everything else, Joe Ray, owner of Rocking K, was selling the place we rented so we’re moving again. We leased a piece of property o n Spanish Trail and continued to run the riding club etc. We were living in our camper temporarily until we leased a ranch on Camino Loma Alta. This had a nice house on the hill and a large area in the valley for the stable. Here we continued the riding and stable business until 1974. It was a beautiful place for our purpose and we had some wonderful times there. In this business we met many lovely people from all walks of life. They could escape from all the hum drum of the city and ride for hours in the desert or mountains. | Patty, Faith, Kathy, Art, Mary Jane | Chauncey Kelley & Pat Webb

43: In May 1974, Shirley and Johnny were planning on spending Mother’s Day in Kentucky with his mother. I talked to Shirley on the phone before they left for the airport and a couple hours later, had a call from John that she had a massive heart attack at the airport and died suddenly. This was a terrible blow to us all. At the same time, progress was catching up again. People were building up all around us and not many trails left to ride. In June 1974, Chauncey and Kathy went to spend the summer in Michigan with Pidge and Jerry. Patty stayed with a friend while Art, Steve, Faith, Laura Deluca and I headed for the mountains with the horses. We gave up the ranch and stored what we couldn’t take with us. It was quite an experience but will not go into detail here. | Steve, Faith, Patty, Kathy, Chauncey | Chauncey & Patty | Mary Jane | Kathy, Patty, Faith, Pidge, Mary Jane, Art, Dave, Chauncey, Tom, Steve

44: Ray's Place: the Last Days As told by Steve Kelley Everything was going along pretty good until one day someone built a house directly behind us and Dad felt the pressures of 'civilization' once again closing in on us. I'm sure there were many factors involved in his slowly evolving decision to move, but the “don't fence me in” mentality that Dad had seems to stick out the most. It had happened in Michigan. When Dad bought the house in Michigan it was one of the first to be built and could still be considered out in the country; but by the time we moved twelve years later we were completely fenced in, in spite of never having put up a fence of our own. when we moved to the circle K on Sabino canyon Rd. it was out in the country but beginning to grow. When I look at that area now, it's hard to remember it was all once wide open spaces. When we moved from Rocking K they were in the very beginning stages of development and trying to sell the house and barn we were using. Now it looked like it was happening all over again. Every time Dad saw the land developing he would consider it time to move. At the same time Faith and I were adding our own brand of trouble to the mix. I often wonder if the family troubles, and the resulting distractions, were the reason or just an excuse for not being able to concentrate on developing the business. We were back in roughly the same position we were when moving onto Rocking K. I was back home for good; we had another ideal place, and a small group of loyal customers to build upon. Dad had been refining his riding club concept and it was working out to be a pretty good way of going for those people who wanted to ride on a regular basis but couldn't afford to own a horse of their own. Between being able to board horses and the income from the guests of our club members (who were charged at an hourly rate), we had the potential of developing several streams of income. We had begun to branch out by putting on formal trail rides and with a little promoting I believe we could have actually gone somewhere with all this. Dad had a real talent when it came to handling people and matching them with a horse. It was in the building of these relationships that the strength of our business lie. Dad knew his horses well, he didn't just feed and water them; he studied the little ins and outs of their personality. After having gone through the experience of running an hourly riding stable, he got pretty good at sizing up a Person as they walked across the yard. After a few minutes of talking to them about their riding experience, he could separate the truth from the bullshit (most people make out be better than they are), and match them up with a horse on their level. More often than not, it worked out well for both horse and rider. Dad had the look; and he had developed a way of going that was straight out of one of the many westerns he read. The old beat up cowboy hat, run over boots, faded Levis, and that long lean look so often associated with the cowboy. He even rolled his own cigarettes; people from Tucson really ate this stuff up. The funny thing was, at this point he'd never spent that much time on the back of a horse. Like so many parents, he lived his life through his kids. Patty and I had fallen in love with horses and lived the life Dad wished he could have. He rode, but not often enough; it was only after our trip in the Rincon Mountains that he became somewhat accomplished at it. But he had the look and a way of going that people really loved. Anything he lacked was made up by the people skills he possessed. This is why, for the life of me. I really can't understand why he would drop it all and come to the conclusion that moving was the only solution.

45: Leaving Ray's The more I think about it the more I'm forced to come to the conclusion that Dad needed a business manager. It started with his first business venture in Baltimore back in '48 when he went into the photography business with his brother Ned. Dad had the eye and creative ability of a photographer and Ned had the business sense and the ability to secure contracts. It was only because Ned's fiancé at the time didn't like the set up that Ned went his separate way, leaving Dad on his own. without the contracts coming in and no one to manage the books it wasn't long before Dad was on to something else. The only other “successful” venture was going into the kennel business with his brother-in-law John Webb. John and Shirley ended up going to Erie in search of a bigger and better kennel, leaving Dad with the grooming and boarding end of the business. It wasn't long before Dad was out taking on odd jobs to help make ends meet. I think that was pretty much it as far as being in business for himself until he started the horse business in Arizona. Dad always had the creativity and a good enough work ethic to get the physical end of the job done, but it's all for naught if you don't develop the skills of a good business manager. Now that I look at it, I guess that's why actors and musicians have managers. Elvis would have never got where he did without the promoting he got. Anyway, between the trouble Faith and I caused and not making enough money to make ends meet, Dad once again began to think about greener pastures. We had some customers at the time, PauI and Riesa Skoke, along with Riesa's brother Newell, that were from Washington State. It was through talking with them that there was a lot of romanticizing about how beautiful it was in the Great Northwest. I'm sure the idea took shape gradually, but over time Dad got it in his head that he was going to pack up everything on the back of his horses and trail ride up to Washington; the family could stay or go. It was up to them. Chauncey and Kathy were too young to decide for themselves, so the decision was made for them to go live with Pidge and Jerry up in Michigan. Patty opted out; even though she loved to ride, living on the back of a horse wasn't her cup of tea. That left Mom, Faith, and I. I guess we figured that since we didn't have anything better going on at the time, we were going with Dad. I'm not really sure how Laura Deluca talked her parents into it but somehow she got permission to accompany us on the first leg of our journey. It was June 7th that Chauncey and Kathy set off for Michigan via American Airlines. going through Chicago, and managing to lose a piece luggage on the way. At ten and twelve years old, flying alone for the first time, it must have been quite a trip for them. Patty went to live with Paul and Riesa. Even though I'm sure it was the last thing in the world she wanted, Patty has always been one to do whatever it took to survive. At sixteen, it came as quite a shock to have her home yanked out from under her. Paul and Riesa ended up staying in pretty close contact with us throughout the coming summer, so I guess Mom and Dad figured as long as Patty was with them she was in a safe place. with all the kids placed somewhere Dad proceeded to break up housekeeping; getting rid of any surplus stuff that wouldn't fit on the back of a horse or in the back of his pickup.

46: On June 14th, 1974 we set out down the road and I have to let Dad tell it from here because he's the only one that kept any kind of record. At least in the beginning anyway; he only covers the first month or so and then I'm back to the little bits I can remember. The Ride As told by Art Kelley June 14, 1974. Our trek begins. Morning found us frenzied; sorting and packing unwieldy supplies, and trying to tie it on untrained animals, with unskilled hands, and none of the equipment normally used for packing. No wagon boss of the 1800's ever faced a more impossible task. We soon found that there was more to this than just tying everything on the backs of your animals and riding off down the road. By noon the task was still incomplete and those first packed were fretting at the bit to get started. It's hard to convey the complete pandemonium of that first morning. In the end, with complete indifference, I put the balance of our worldly goods into my pickup, which was to remain behind at a friend's home, and we started out, ready or not. We had been at this all morning, and so, skipping lunch, we finally headed out at approximately 2:00 that afternoon. We hadn't even reached the end of the driveway when Midnight lost her pack. By the time I completed repacking her, Missy and Humpty Dumpty were coming back down the road leaderless. Catching them up, we headed off again. In the meantime, the balance of our party was strung out along the road, adjusting equipment, retying packs, chasing loose livestock and complaining of the heat (at least 96 degrees in the shade and climbing). Every member of the party had a handful of trouble and we hadn't even covered the first mile yet. At 4:00 pm (one mile from home and a half mile off the road) five exhausted humans and ten head of livestock sat down in the shade of one palo verde tree to gather our wits and make up for having missed lunch. I'm sorry I can't recall the details of our sumptuous repast, but by 5:00 we were strung out along the trail again in search of a place to spend the night. While we were eating, Missy again pulled loose and taking Humpty Dump with her, headed down the back trail towards our old homestead. This "homing instinct" is very strong in horses, and more than once left us with a saddle and pack and no animal to carry it. Learning to secure our horses was a lesson we were destined to learn the hard way. Recalling a stock tank about 2 miles from our location, I sent the balance of the party ahead, while I remained with the extra equipment until Steve returned with Missy and we then made our way to the tank. After watering the stock and filling canteens, we moved about ten minutes further up the trail and set up camp. Graze for the horses was virtually non-existent, so I sent Steve, Laura and Faith to the nearest phone with our first call for help. It was about a five mile ride but unburdened with a pack horse and outfit, should have been just a breeze. Mary Jane and I remained at the camp to fix the evening meal. After living all day on candy bars and our roadside lunch, the most important thing was to satisfy our need for substantial

47: nourishment. I proceeded to build what was to be the first of our many campfires. Three months of them at least! The only conscious thought I remember is "how small can I make it", if I could have accomplished heating my coffee over a match I would have done so. Steve and the girls got back about 8:30 pm with PauI and Riese Skoke, bringing horse feed and goodies. We fed the horses and ourselves, and sat around the fire talking until around 11 pm. gathering all the extra gear we must do without, now that we were minus a pack animal, we sent it back to town with PauI and Riese. Rollinq into our sacks, we drifted off to sleep, each wrapped in their own thoughts; a grand total of three miles from home. Day Two Sunup comes early on the desert, bringing the heat with it. It was mutually decided almost without discussion, to spend an extra day here near the water reorganizing the packs and resting. After a leisurely breakfast, we re-assigned the packs deciding who was to carry what. We put the extra English saddle we had on Jessica. From this point on, throughout most of the trip, Jessica (at the ripe old age of 3 months) became a saddle horse. Picture in your mind a three month old filly in the middle of a wilderness, wearing an English saddle as she trailed along loose with the string. Day Three Daylight the following day also came early but it still took us until noon to get the packs on the horses. Once again the "homing instinct" had struck, and we had to backtrack about a mile or so up the road to recover Midnight and Dolly, who had strayed during the night. I will note here, although the girls will vehemently disagree, that Steve and I did most of the packing and what they did tie on fell off throughout the balance of the day. Laura lost a canteen, one of three we were to lose on this trip, plus a grill for the fireplace. Even though these items were later recovered, it may give you an idea of the difficulties we had keeping things tied to the backs of our pack animals. Learning to pack horses under the best of conditions is hard enough, learning the way we were was almost impossible. Ill distributed weight, poorly tied, on horses that have never been packed is a recipe for disaster. On the back of a moving horse nothing stays put it seems we were constantly stopping to retie our packs and rearrange the loads. Even though we were used to the heat and the rigors of country living, it was a far cry from being able to live out in the desert. With no swamp coolers or relief of any kind, except maybe the sparse shade we could find, the heat became unbearable. The best we could do for Mary Jane was to soak a rag to put over her face when we did find some shade to rest in. Had there been a home to return to this trip would never have lasted past the third day. Tempers grew short, the animals became surly, it was an adjustment I don't think anyone was prepared for. At this point the greater part of the day was spent in argument or silence. Suffering (or so we thought) we reduced riding to about two hours that day, covering less than ten miles. Eventually we reached Papago springs. This was no easy task, for while it was comparatively easy for a human to scramble up the boulder strewn wash, finding a way for the horses proved to be a good deal more difficult. After several blind leads, I finally rounded the corner of a large

48: boulder and dropped into the dry stream bed. There between two huge boulders stood Faith and Laura, waist deep in a large pool, yelling and carrying on, a canteen in each hand trying to drink and drown themselves at the same time. I dismounted, grabbed my canteen, and went for water disregarding the fact it was now inhabited by two dirty sweaty girls yelling like Banshee Indians. Fast as I was however; Misty beat me to it and lowering her muzzle to the water proceeded to walk right on in with the girls. Steve showed up a few minutes later and after satisfying our immediate thirst, we proceeded to water the stock. We could only water them two at a time because of the narrow confines of the pool. Filling all the canteens, I returned to camp. Since we now had a way to water the horses, we decided to spend another day at Papago springs. This would allow both humans and livestock to recover from the effects of dehydration. Day Five We left Papago Springs the next morning and began our first real climb. The climb was short but steep. We paused about half way up to blow the horses and then continued on to the Texas gate at the top of the hill above the spring. This gate proved to be very important to us in the next few days. After passing uneventfully through the gate we continued our climb into the mountains. Following the ridge and moving in the general direction of Rincon peak, we made our way slowly along. Besides the strain of the climb, we encountered another obstacle, the ocotillo forest. To a single unencumbered rider the ocotillos are a nuisance but not a serious problem. But with a bedroll tied behind the saddle and leading a pack horse it's another matter altogether. It was how we found out why blankets were a poor substitute for a canvas tarp when it comes to covering your pack. After listening to the ripping and tearing behind me for several hours, we finally reached a spot flat enough to stop, rest the horses, asses our damages, and eat lunch. By this time we must have made all of about a mile up the mountain. Travel was s1ow and difficult because of our inexperience and poorly packed horses. We had problems keeping our packs on the horses to begin with, climbing up the mountain only added to this problem. Weaving in and out of ocotillo, our pace had been slow, but nonetheless steady. The extra day spent resting at Papago Springs really paid off, but tempers were once again becoming frayed. After lunch we surveyed the damages the ocotillo had done, once again we were fortunate; aside from the small rips and tears in unprotected duffel bags, the only damage done was to Laura's sleeping bag, which was in shreds. On looking down the hill over the back trail, we could trace our passage through the ocotillo by the small tufts of white cotton clinging to the ocotillo branches. Pushing on I continued following the ridge. About an hour after lunch, we arrived in a small basin which turned out to be Aliso Springs. Two stock tanks were located in the center of the basin next to the wash, but both were dry. It's hard to convey the uncertainty of traveling through unfamiliar territory at the height of a drought. Many of the springs which normally had water turned out to be dry. June of '74 was turning out to be one of the driest months on record.

49: The climb, the heat, and the slipping packs were once again taking their toll. Tempers were short and conversation strained. We were on flat ground for the moment, but after some discussion and a certain amount of pushing on my part, it was decided to resume the climb. Thus we began the steepest ascent of the day. Following an old cow trail, Faith, Laura, and Mary Jane led with Steve and I bringing up the rear. I had been having problems all day leading Dolly, and Misty was exhausting herself pulling that burro uphill; so Steve rode along behind hazing her to ease the strain. With Steve riding Squaw, leading Happy' and Jessica trailing along behind with her English saddle, we began to climb. We had hardly gotten started when, while negotiating a switchback, Dolly stopped dead. Steve raised his hand to give her a swat and caused Happy (who was tied to his saddle horn) to pull back. At the same time Squaw was attempting to find her footing, Steve instinctively pulled on the reins to stop her. Happy was on the lower part of the switchback while Steve and Squaw were around the corner on the uphill side leaning off balance. Happy ended-up pulling Squaw over backwards. Squaw and Steve rolled downhill over a large boulder, landing at Happy's feet. At Steve's yell I turned in the saddle just in time to witness Squaw fall and helplessly watched them roll downhill. I ran to Steve's side as he lay there groaning to assess his damages. Fortunately, aside from being knocked breathless and getting a huge bruise on his ribs, he was not seriously injured. I yelled at Mary Jane and the girls to hold up and then returned to Steve. He said he was able to ride but that was all. I mounted Misty after seeing him up on Squaw and rode back to Dolly.There she stood innocent as a newborn babe; she hadn't moved a foot. Gathering Dolly's lead rope and Steve following behind,-we made it up the slope to where Mary Jane and the girls waited. Happy and Jessica followed along on their own. Anger, frustration and near tragedy, had all taken their toll. The frustration of five days on the trail was all coming to the surface. It was here that many decisions were made by each of us as individuals. While toughening up and wearing down all at the same time, we halted on the slope of that hill and relaxed in the deep shade of a heavenly pine tree. This was one of the first we had encountered, so we knew we were gaining altitude. This tree stood out from all the rest nearby and because of the near tragedy and powwow that ensued, it came to be know ever after as “Squaw’s Tree". This trail came to be one we later used on regular basis and the tree became a kind of landmark for us. I decided we'd had enough for one day and since Steve was unable to ride without a great deal of pain we found a flat spot and set up camp. The girls and I later returned to the basin in search of water and while riding up-stream from the dry stock tanks, we discovered a fifty-five gallon drum buried in the floor of the wash. A small seep of water surrounded the drum and it was securely covered. We managed to get the top off of the drum' and while the water had a definite rust taste, it seemed to be okay to drink. Filling the canteens, and watering the horses, we returned to camp. Conversation was surly and being the villain, I engaged in very little of it. Shortly after checking on Steve I went to my sleeping bag and was soon fast asleep.

50: Day Six Early the next morning we found some horses were missing. I guess they figured they'd had enough of this trail riding and were headed home. Faith, Laura and I saddled up after breakfast and set out along our back trail. We located two horses at the first gate above Papago Springs, which thankfully, we had securely closed. I found sign of Happy, Dolly and Midnight going on down over the hill and here I made a serious mistake. We took the two horses we'd found and decided to return to camp for lunch, I figured we could come back later to pick up the trail of the other three. After lunch Faith and Laura decided to go on their own in search of the -missing stock. Steve and I spent the afternoon discussing our predicament. We were now minus three horses and had to consider our options and where to go from here. We didn't arrive at any decisions' but at least we had a little clearer insight into our problems. Faith and Laura arrived about supper time with an enchanting story. They had ridden to the top of a hill above Aliso Springs. While riding along the trail they came face to face with a Mexican cowboy going in the opposite direction. Upon exchanging greetings, they discovered he spoke no English. This was our first introduction to Martinez. After some halting conversation in high school Spanish, Martinez led the girls on down the trail and reaching the brow of a hill, he pointed out his home ranch down in the valley. Somehow he managed to explain that this trail went down the mountain to a place called Hidden Springs. He told the girls he had seen sign of the missing horses, one dragging a lead rope, but hadn't seen the horses themselves. He also told them he had seen the lone burro but the horses were not with her. We received the news joyously; and the decision was made to move on down the hill to Hidden springs. We all hit the sack early so we could get started first thing in the morning. Day Seven Today we began to discover a few of the joys of trail riding. We had cached our excess gear and were traveling light. After a week on the trail we were finally beginning to toughen up a little; the soreness and stiffness slowly disappearing. The-trail was well traveled with a magnificent view of the valley below and the mountains in the distance. The horses stepped right along and except for the abrupt drop off above. Hidden Springs, it was an exhilarating ride. The final drop was not that bad, but since it was our first experience coming down a slope this steep leading pack horses, it is worth mentioning. It had been a pretty casual ride until this very last part. With the horses sitting on their haunches negotiating these final switchbacks, we managed to reach the foot of the mountain all in one piece. Hidden Springs is a lovely camping spot on-a hot summer day. Located on the banks of a wash, it's screened from the hot sun by huge mesquite trees. Water was plentiful, although due to man made improvements. We later discovered that Martinez was the man whose job it was to pack a pump up here-by horse back and fill the tanks twice a week. We relaxed in the shade and prepared a leisurely supper from our dwindling suppliis. Although there was a small wooden shack there I noticed no one made any move to unroll their bedroll under the roof. We put the horses in a wire corral that was there and all of us had the pleasure of a fuIl night of untroubled sleep, knowing our horses would be there when we woke up in morning.

51: Day Eight The next morning we cleaned up for the first time in a week. Up to this point we hadn't had enough water to drink, let alone bathe. Other than the bath the girls enjoyed at Papago Springs, we hadn't changed clothes or cleaned up since leaving home. After breakfast we set out for the old Harrington Place where Martinez was headquartered. We found Martinez at home and with Steve doing his best to translate he verified the story he had told the girls earlier. We told him where we were camped and invited him to visit on his next trip, which as I've said, he makes twice weekly to fill the stock tanks and check on the cows. Since Laura had agreed to call her mother at the earliest opportunity, she, Steve, and Faith rode on to Colossal Cave (the nearest phone), while Mary Jane and I rode back to camp to await their return. Day Nine The next day, what a joyous reunion we had. Although a pretty rough jeep trail, it's possible to drive up to Hidden Springs. Paul and Riese (our friends from Tucson), along with Jerry and Gwen (Laura's parents) appeared, bringing with them supplies and a huge picnic lunch. Who would have thought a can of Coke could taste so good. Although it'd only been a little over a week, we felt like we'd been on the trail for months. We ate and related our adventures to date and caught up on the news from town. I'm sure glad we took advantage of the opportunity to clean up. If Jerry and Gwen had seen us when we arrived at Hidden Springs, I'm sure Laura would have been bundled off home. Dirty, tattered, and deeply tanned, we must have looked quite a sight. The time passed all too quickly and soon they had to depart. Once again we were left with the quiet of the wilderness. Day Ten I awoke the next morning to the beautiful sight of a large buck deer watering at the spring. This was the only deer I saw on the entire trip, but he sure was beautiful with water dripping from his muzzle as he lifted his head, it was a picture worthy of Arizona Highways. Soon everyone else awoke and we prepared to leave. While enjoying my second cup of coffee' Martinez showed up carrying a gas powered water pump and joined us for coffee. Again, with Steve doing his best to translate, we engaged in conversation about the livestock. He told us of a trail between Hidden Springs and the gate above Papago Springs where we’d find sign of our missing livestock. He agreed to show us the beginning of the trail and we jumped at the opportunity. Martinez went to finish pumping his water while Steve and I set to packing up and soon we were ready to depart. Martinez led with the rest of us following. We-had ridden along in this fashion when we arrived at a fork in the trail. The mule took the left fork and Martinez indicated for us to take the right; waving good bye we parted company. We made good time arriving at Charlie's well (across the canyon from our destination) in fine shape. Steve and I examined the well and found it contaminated by a dead bird, the stench was terrific. Since we had plenty of water and were still refreshed by our layover at Hidden Springs, we decided to go on across the canyon in search of fresh water and a camping spot. We found a faint cow trail and followed it up the canyon. We hadn't found any water, so we were forced to set up a dry camp to spend the night.

52: Steve continues.... This is the end of what Dad had written down about the trip. I guess now we return to what I remember about how we got to Vail. I don't know why the record stops here but I sure wish now somebody had continued to keep a journal of some sort. As usual, I was just going along day to day, without giving thought to either past or future. I don't think it ever once occurred to me to write things down for posterity. As a result I'm left trying to remember things that happened thirty years ago and it's really not easy. We did end up recovering the pony and burro but never found hide nor hair of our appaloosa filly, Happy. Being the beautiful black and white appaloosa that she was, it really doesn't surprise me. I'm sure someone corralled her and filed for papers thinking "what the hell, if no one shows up to claim her, I just got a free horse." As it turned out, even though the country was rugged and made you feel like you were in the middle of nowhere, we really weren't that far from civilization. June slowly turned into July and we continued to live and explore the mountain. We returned to Aliso Basin and continued trying to find our way to Wrong Mountain. I always found that name to be somewhat ironic. When climbing the mountain from this side you lose sight of Rincon Peak but can see a peak that looks exactly like it. We had a map so I knew better, but otherwise you'd end up climbing to the top, only to find you were on the wrong mountain. Aliso Basin is where you find the first noticeable change in vegetation from the desert floor. It doesn't take long before you're able to judge your elevation by the plants found around you. By the time you've reached five and six thousand feet (above sea level), cactus and ocotillo have given way to scrub oak and small pine trees. Continuing up the trail we originally tried coming out of the basin, we worked our way up through some incredibly beautiful country. While exploring one day, Tequila (my little dog) came back with her feet wet. This was a surprise because not having rained yet, the stream bed we were following was dry and the only water we'd had was the rusty barrel water back at Aliso. Upon investigating on foot, I discovered the pool of water she'd found. This was an incredible find. Being a pool of some size and depth; it was spring fed and could provide us with all the water we would need. It took some doing, but eventually I found a way down to it. Since we now had a source of dependable water, we decided to move everything up here and establish a base camp. I think at this point Dad still had it in his mind that he was going to be able to climb up and over this mountain. Trying to find a way up from our newly established base camp' we ran into a wall of manzanita. Manzanita is a tree like shrub that is all but impossible to get through. After making several false starts and doing a lot of back tracking, we eventually bulled our way through and found our way to the foot of the peak known as Wrong Mountain. I left Dad with the horses and made the rest of the climb on foot, it was only after making it to the top that I understood how this came to be called Wrong Mountain. Had I been thinking all this time I was heading for Rincon Peak, it would have cone as quite a shock to find I wasn't even close. The view though was absolutely spectacular. The whole of Happy Valley is laid out below you and you can see all the way to Benson and beyond.

53: The only problem was there was no way you were ever going to take a horse down that side of the mountain. While it may have been possible to make it on foot, I considered trying it on horseback worse than fool hardy. I came back down to where I'd left Dad and the horses and told him what I'd seen. We made our way back down to our base camp and tried to think of what to do next. I’m not sure when dad gave up his dream of riding to Washington, but I think it may have been close to this point in time. Even though I don't recall having any open discussion about it, our ideas evolved from traveling north to conducting pack trips and bringing people up here. But like every other idea Dad had, it was a great idea with no real foundation in reality. It took me a long time to understand that Dad was a dreamer. He could come up with really great ideas, but would always need someone to handle the nuts and bolts of turning that idea into a reality. I wish I could have been that person but at 19 I was more of a dreamer than he was, so of course I just went along with the dream. I was living day to day, concerned only with perfecting my life on the trail and taking care of the horses. The camp we had established above Aliso springs came to be home. The horses had become accustomed to the fact that we weren't going home and fell into the routine of grazing when not traveling down the trail. After a short while we constructed a lean-to type shelter with a bed constructed of pine branches. Covered with a blanket it made for some very comfortable nights. Sweet smelling and soft, it was a far cry from sleeping directly on the ground. Even though we'd located it on the side of a hill, when we got our first major rain sometime in July we found that we'd neglected to notice one small rivulet that ended up causing big problems. Actually, it was Laura who discovered the oversight. There's nothing worse than waking up in the middle of the night to find your bedroll soaking wet it's pouring down rain, and there's not a damn thing you can do except wait it out. When you're sleeping, huddled under a tarp watching the lightening flash and listening to the rain pour down, the night can seem like it will never end. By the time dawn broke the next morning, the rain had stopped and the sun came up bright and strong. Although soaking wet and bone tired, no serious harm was done, but the lesson was well learned. Make sure anything that even remotely looks like it may carry water is diverted around your sleeping area. This had been the first of what was to be many storms that summer, so after taking care of a few of these details, we found we could stay warm and dry through the worst of these mountain thunderstorms. After having gone through the height of the drought and soaring temperatures of June, the July rains came as a welcome relief. Following its initial flood, the wash we'd been camping next to settled down to a very pleasant stream that continued to run for the rest of the summer. It was the final touch that made our campsite a perfect place to be. After discovering we couldn't go up and over the mountain, it must have been around this time that Dad got to thinking it

54: was so beautiful up here, he just had to figure out how to make it possible for other people to experience what it was like. We eventually acquired some of the proper equipment for packing and finally Jerry Ingraham (an old friend of my dad's) showed up and taught me how to properly tie a pack. I have to admit, there's a lot to be said for learning things the hard way. That way when someone does show up to teach you how to do it right, you're ready to learn. I never did take full advantage of the wealth of horse knowledge Jerry had, but the things he did teach me made it possible to enjoy life on the trail a little more, Jerry had been our farrier since our early days on the Circle K back in '68, so we'd known him for quite a few years. Somewhere along the line he taught me the basics of shoeing a horse. I never did get very good at it but I learned enough to shoe my own horses. Now that I think about it he was also the one who taught me about the right way to tie a string of horses head to tai1. This was invaluable because in the months to come I was to be left many times caring and traveling with our seven head of horses on my own. While we had decided that we weren't going up and over the mountain, Dad made no decisions about moving off the mountain. We continued to explore the various cow trails that crisscross that section of the hills. Even though we stayed in roughly the same areas, we had to move around so the horses didn't eat up all the grass. I began to understand what a Sheppard must feel like. Keeping an eye on the horses while they grazed eventually came to be my primary job. After a time we found that the canyon Papago Springs was located in wound its way down through the hills and came out at the back end of the campground at Colossal Cave. We became friendly enough with the owner of Rancho del Cielo to pass through and became good friends with the guy who lived at the gate separating Colossal Cave from the private land. As a result we began to use this as a place to pick up supplies. Since it was easily accessible by car, it was no problem to meet someone by the gate. At this point I think it was still Paul and Riese who were our main source of supply. I'm not sure what happened to everyone or what order they left in, but gradually one by one they all left. I don't think this turned out to be the life Faith was looking for, so eventually she made other arrangements for a place to live. I'm sure once it was established we weren't really going anywhere, Laura ended up back with her parents. Mom decided to make other arrangements and ended up moving in with Paul and Riese, as did Dad at some point. Paul was an electrician and I think it was around this time that Dad went to work with him, pulling wire in new construction projects. I'm sure we'd run out of money and the few supplies we did need had to be paid for somehow. Even though I had regular contact with people, I was the only one left out there full time with the seven head of horses that formed our string. I spent a good deal of my time grazing the horses in the hills around Papago Springs, frequently traveling to our camp up above Aliso Springs. While a trail riding, pack trip venture never was put together; I did end up taking friends and family on trips up the mountain over the course of the summer. It was a trip that was both memorable and enjoyed by all who happened to make it. By the time I was taking any body up there, the horses were used to traveling as a group and the trails had become well worn. Had life turned just a little, I'm sure I could have pursued becoming a professional outfitter. As it turned out, it was like everything else that had gone on in my life; I was destined to come out the other side with nothing more than the experience of having done it.

55: Mary Jane continues....... The girls and I came back after a couple of months but Art and Steve rode longer looking for a filly, a pony and a burro that we lost. Art’s mother also became quite ill that year and passed away in Texas. Art came back in time to see her before she died. We stayed with friends while we were looking for a place to relocate. We had always attended St. Rita’s church in Vail and had talked to Father Putzer about the property across the street from the church. No one seemed to know who owned it. When we told him we were interested, he said he could put us in touch with the owner so we set up an appointment and we met John Currie at the priests’ house. The old Post Office building had been vacant for five years and the property had been used for a dump but the price was right, even though we had to haul water as there wasn’t any on the place. We had been staying with Dr. and Virginia Mortland at the time. Art and I traveled back and forth approximately 8 miles. Steve stayed in the little building and took care of the horses we had. We had sold most of them and decided to start a feed business. Meanwhile Jerry and Pidge and Ramie (5 years old now) decided to move out here. They fixed up an old school bus Jerry bought which made suitable living quarters. Fait had been living in Florida but wasn’t happy there so Pidge and Jerry stopped there and brought her back here. Chauncey and Kathy were attending Santa Rita High School and Patty was living in Tucson.

56: Pidge helped in the store and Jerry did a lot of work around the place. We talked about a partnership with different members of the family. No one was interested. Kathy graduated from High School and joined the Army and before long was sent to Germany. Patty came back here. Living quarters were rough but we fixed her up a place and she got back into working with her horses. She started working with young people giving them riding lessons and working with the 4-H as a Horse Leader. She made quite a name for herself as a “Horse Person”. Steve in the meantime had gone to live in Tucson, working as a carpenter. Faith met and married Charlie LeDuc. Dave and Linda and their children, Davey and Shane moved to Vail from Michigan. Dave bought a piece of property across from Vail School. They all worked together to design and build their house there. Without going into detail, we lost my sister Betty who died of a heart attack in 1975. My mother suffered a major stroke and passed away in 1982. Dr. Mortland passed away and Virginia went to live with her daughter in Washington, D.C. Ned suffered a heart attack and died in 1989. He was still in Baltimore married to Fini Moreno and had 2 sons, Shawn and Keith. Art’s dad passed away in home in Irving Texas in 1989 and his sister Alice Bronder died of cancer in Irving Texas in 1990.

57: Pidge, Faith, Patty, Kathy Mary Jane, Art | Dave, Tom, Steve, Chauncey Mary Jane, Art | 1977

58: We signed the business over to Patty and Chauncey in 1989 giving Art and I the opportunity to travel when we wanted to. Patty gave up teaching riding to devote her time to the feed business. We drove to Pennsylvania for Art’s 50th HS reunion in 1988. We drove to Erie Pennsylvania visited with my brother Jack and his wife Bertha who accompanied us to St. Mary’s. We all got to visit with many of our old friends. It was a very memorable trip. Art and I spent a lot of time going camping at the different lakes around Arizona. He loved to go fishing and many time he’d take off by himself or very often he and Jerry Ingraham would go to the lake. His health was gradually failing and on his 70th birthday he wanted all the family here for a party which was quite unusual. We celebrated our 49th wedding anniversary in 1990 and on January 20, 1991 he died of cancer. Patty and Chauncey continued to carry on with the feed business and have done remarkably well, working as partners and making major changes around the place with the help of good friends and relatives. In March 1994 they put aside enough to start building a new feed store and moved from the old building to the new in 1995. | Faith Writes About Mary Jane I have a hard time writing about mom because she was always there doing something for someone other than herself. I had to get to where I am now to even know on a 1/10th in scale to what she knew, did, took care of, made for, helped with, you name it, she to me was someone who I can only dedicate my whole good in life added together and still feel it isn’t enough to give back all she gave me. Anything I write and all the pictures I take and the things I do are all dedicated to Mom who gave blessings enough to share. Because she raised four girls that can clean up after, take care of work and family, and still do the things we love, is a testament to her love of life and her skill at hand tasks. Mom would be in the kitchen cooking dinner and I would be tap, tap, tapping, tap dancing away. She would smile the whole time and tell me to keep practicing, she didn’t mind watching the show when she cooked. That was the thing with mom, she always had chores but she was able to let you help however you were able, not that I think I was helping her, she probably was thinking Oh Lord, just make it stop. If you ask me or most people who have had the pleasure of eating a meal prepared by Mary Jane she was an excellent cook a credit to heritage, her abilities, and her love of family and life.

59: Pulling It All Together by Kathy This book was compiled over the course of several years following the death of my mother, Mary Jane. It was inspired by a high school project that Chauncey completed in his senior year and as I was putting that together more information and writing began to surface and I've included them as best I could under one cover. As of this writing, Dave and Linda Kelley have built a home in El Frida, Arizona and live there. Davey Kelley, their oldest, lives in Vail with his wife Lisa. Davey's oldest daughter Tansy is married and lives in West Monroe, Louisiana with her husband and 3 children, Phoenix, Parker and Peyson. Daughters Jenaye and Jessie reside in Tucson. Jenaye is married with two sons, Alex and Garret and Jesse is single. Dave and Linda's youngest child, Shane, lives in Phoenix with girlfriend Danielle. He has two children, Dylan and Taylor. Tom Kelley lives in Michigan with Vickie White. Tom's two sons are also in Michigan. Shawn Kelley with wife Amiee and two boys, Cody and Caden. Chad Kelley and wife Mary have two children, Alex and Alivia. Pidge Helzer lives in Vail. Her daughter Ramie Gibbs is also in Vail with husband Steve and their three children, Brandon, Kaylie, and Trevyn. Steve and wife Susan live in Tucson. Their two daughters, Dawn and Stephanie both live in Tucson as well. Dawn is with partner Jarrod Davis and her son Mateo and Stephanie with boyfriend Adam Flett. Faith and Charlie LeDuc live in Vail as well as their two children Travis and Lacey. Travis has three children Austin, Skylar and Bella and is married to Jess LeDuc. Lacey and husband Santiago Elisea have 3 children, Charlie, Santiago and Isabel. Patty lives in Benson with partner Jerry Chischile and her many pets. Kathy and Brian Tachibana are in Hawaii along with their two daughters, Kelley and Nicole. Kelley is married to Kaipo Dudoit and they have one son, Kuanalu. Nicky is single. Chauncey and his wife Barbara live in Tucson with their two children, Gabby and Jonathan.

Sizes: mini|medium|large|jumbo
Default User
  • By: Kathy T.
  • Joined: over 7 years ago
  • Published Mixbooks: 0
  • faith leduc
    • By: faith l.
    • Contributions: 5 photos , 0 pages
  • Default User
    • By: Kelley D.
    • Contributions: 0 photos , 0 pages
  • Default User
  • Default User
    • By: patty k.
    • Contributions: 0 photos , 0 pages
  • Ramie Gibbs
    • By: Ramie G.
    • Contributions: 42 photos , 0 pages
  • Default User
    • By: Steve K.
    • Contributions: 0 photos , 5 pages
  • Default User
    • By: Tom K.
    • Contributions: 0 photos , 1 page
  • Default User
    • By: Shawn T.
    • Contributions: 0 photos , 0 pages
  • Default User
    • By: Steve K.
    • Contributions: 0 photos , 0 pages
  • Default User

About This Mixbook

  • Title: The Anthology
  • Theme for Mixbook Scrapbookers
  • Tags: None
  • Started: over 6 years ago
  • Updated: about 4 years ago