40-50% Off! 50% Off Favorites! Code: SNOWGOOD Ends: 12/11 Details

  1. Help
40-50% Off! 50% Off Favorites! Code: SNOWGOOD Ends: 12/11 Details

My Journey Through Cancer

Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.

My Journey Through Cancer - Page Text Content

BC: The Leisner Family Mike and Jan Grant, Whitney, Wesley and Luke December 23, 2010

FC: My Journey Through Cancer! | Janice Leisner

1: The blessing of family is my greatest joy. Times of laughter, food, sports and friends have given countless hours of fun. Our family history includes four kids, home school, a house fire and seven moves! In 2008 we had a full schedule.

2: Many special events were ahead. I was "Stepping Up' to lead a bible study. Mike had planned an amazing Hawaiian birthday party for my 50th! And Scott and Tricia were coming to Minnesota for their wedding reception at our house!

3: I was diagnosed with cancer on Friday, March 13, 2009. Mike and I cried and prayed. We made plans to visit the recommended surgeon and oncologist. Then we had the tearful family meeting, with the Carlsons. We prayed together and read the scriptures. Before we told anyone, Whitney and I had pictures taken at Glamour Shots. We had a fun time together. I wondered if these pictures would be shown at my funeral. Then I wrote this email to Linda, forwarding it to Val and Barb. "Finally took care of the long delayed duty called mammogram. This turned into an ultrasound and the following day a biopsy. Each day's news is a little worse than the day before. Met a surgeon on Monday, had an MRI today. I've had more peeks at my person in the last seven days than I have had in my lifetime. Today it looks like chemo is advised first then later, mastectomy. We'll see. | Yesterday evening (Tuesday) we broke the cancer news to the kids and had a prayer time. Lots of tears and they had questions. I know that God has been close to us all in this time. I'm hating this part of breaking the news to my dearest family and friends, I'm sure it is kinder to make phone calls and work it through together. We will do that but forgive me...I just need to spill the beans so you are prepared to pray with me. The Lord has brought the scripture to mind... But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us. [We are] troubled on every side, yet not distressed; [we are] perplexed, but not in despair; Persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed; Always bearing about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our body. 2 Corinthians 4:7-10." May it be so in me. You love me, Jan | Cancer!

4: We had three nights of prayer in a row. Many of our dear friends came to hold me and mine up to the Lord. Each prayer time was unique and had the flavor of the personalities that were present. | We set our hearts to seek the Lord and to ask Him for a miracle. Men and women of faith took hold of the heavens on my behalf. It was humbling and beautiful. I also set up a CaringBridge site to communicate with everyone. March 29, 2009 Mike and I are looking to the Lord for his direction and encouragement. Today at church this passage was read: Exodus 33:14-17. In part it says, "The Lord replied, "My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest." ...Moses said... "If your Presence does not go with us, do not send us up from here." To that I say, AMEN! I need God's presence to go with me on this trip. Most of me doesn't want to get on the bus! However the journey is not optional and my bus has already departed from the station whether I like the itinerary or not. | Please Pray ! | Three Prayer Meetings

5: April 1, 2009 Mike, Nancy and Lori, all arrived at my oncology appointment. (If I have to ride this roller coaster, I want a few people in the car with me!) Mike and I were the deer in the headlights, while Nancy and Lori provided moral support and clear communication. They both had notebooks and pens ready to catch the doctor's every word. It is evident from that visit that all of my fancy vocabulary like: tintinnabulation or parenthetical notation will need to be updated to neoadguvent and immunosuppression. So next week, starting Monday, they are back to taking pictures of my insides. I understand they put radio active dye in me first, perhaps I will glow in the dark. We'll have to wait for nightfall to check. For those of you who understand such things, I will be having a PET scan. Wednesday morning I will have a port placement and later that day a mugga. (A mugga to me sounds like a frosty glass of root beer...but I don't think that is what they mean.) The real journey begins on Thursday (4/9) at 9:00 a.m. when I get the first chemo. At this point the doctor says I will have chemo every two weeks - eight times. That is a 16 week stretch. Mercy, Lord! We covet your prayers! | Bring Friends! | Multiple Appointments | Nancy Djerf | Lori Huffer

7: Medical Procedures Monday: PET Scan Wednesday: Port Surgery and MUGA Thursday: Oncology Doctor visit with PET results and... Chemo #1. April 9, 2009 With the chemo in, me I'm feeling surprisingly well. A little tired, but not falling down exhausted. It's the kind of tired you feel when you've worked all day but still have a full schedule of evening events to go to. This is very doable. I understand that as it does its work in my system more fatigue is expected but for today I'm good. The PET showed a spot on my back bone that looked suspicious. April 10, 2009 Nancy and I had a full day yesterday with the chemo but we also made a stop at the Cancer Center to take a look at wigs. They give a loaner wig for free. Yes, I will lose my hair. Having the wig on hand now helps me to know that I'm prepared for when it happens. It will take a couple more weeks for it to happen. :( April 12, 2009, 12:12 AM Today was a tough day. I had about 24 hours in bed with only bathroom breaks for variety. My dad, Marlin Pfeil, used to say, "I ain't got no zip!" That pretty much explained my day. I started to feel a wee bit human again about 9pm. Thank-you, Jesus. The family came in to peek on me from time to time. They brought me pretzels, cheese, and fruit which took a good long time to consume. That intake was my biggest accomplishment of the day. Tomorrow is Easter! Up from the grave he arose! | Sunday, April 12, 2009, 9:51 PM It was a beautiful day today. Resurrection Sunday! We went to The Way of the Lord where our children shared about their Costa Rica mission trip with Northside Christian School. Pastor Dave shared about my cancer challenge and the church gathered around us to pray. Two women shared with me how the Lord had healed them of cancer. Our God is alive! One gentleman shared how he saw a seed drop into my person and begin to grow. All these things are very encouraging. We had a quiet and lovely day with our family, including Garrison. My family took charge of the blitz cleaning that always happens right before guests arrive! I was able to do a lot of the clean up and I'm still up at 10:00 pm. April 15, 2009 After Easter I totally collapsed with no return of energy. I thought I would miss teaching on Tuesday. However, Tuesday morning I was functioning a little better. Our co-op is the best! I have three classrooms of cheerleaders! My mini revelation came when I was sharing my half-baked devotions with the kids. I had spent time reading Exodus during my awake bedtimes, so I was sharing about Moses and the burning bush. Moses watched that unusual bush that was ablaze with the Spirit and wondered at its sight because it was not consumed! Hmm, it was not consumed. I'm like that bush! I've got chemo in my veins and I feel on fire, but hallelujah, I am not consumed! There was hope in that picture for me. It was a good day. I trust that next Tuesday will be a little closer to normal!

8: FRIDAY, APRIL 17, 2009 9:46 PM, CDT We were informed Jan had cancer on March 13th. It was devastating news. I started fasting the same day. I fought for my lovely wive with all the spiritual clout I could muster...much prayer, praise, scripture, on my face, weeping(s), screaming, shouting(s), petitions, agony and angst. Our insurance ran out April 1st...they told us the treatment/medicine would be $30-40 thousand a month. There goes the house, the kid's school. We ran down every lead to get some sort of coverage without success. On top of that. I've been losing my shirt (and shorts) in business day after day, week after week. I was getting crushed, annihilated & pulverized. My only hope for help was God Himself - and He didn't seem to be talking. Lots of people prayed, whole churches prayed, people in other states and countries prayed (some fasted). On April 1st we got insurance for Jan, tailor-made for our situation. It was absolutely a GOD-THING...no other explanation is feasible. It was problematic for me.How could I excitedly rejoice about the miracle of getting insurance when it seem to indicate that God wasn't going to heal Jan? We had three prayer meeting nights in a row... many of you came. Jan had her first chemo 8 days ago. The doctor saw something on her MRI he didn't like. He ordered another one on a small portion of her back. Monday she has a biopsy on her spine. Have you ever felt like you were run over (and then stuck under) a street-sweeping machine.... It's enormous brushes mulched and mashed your person - then eventually spit you out into the ditch? | The good part is that God cares and that not one hair will fall.... much less the thousands of hairs that will fall from Jan's head without the thoughtful concern & compassion of our Lord and King. A wonderful thing is that Jan has got a tight ring of friends - a small multitude - who have brought meals , cleaned, sent checks, accompanied her, loved on her in practical and unique ways to help with this journey. The victorious aspect is yet to be captured but is in the on-deck circle. Thank you SO MUCH for your input and love! | Mike's CaringBridge Entry

9: April 20, 2009 I currently am enjoying every hair day I have left, but those reports sound like the worst hair day one could have. Very ugly. The best thing said on any of those papers describing my person was "unremarkable". The word is used by the medical types to say they have examined an internal area of the body and nothing appears out of the ordinary. I never thought I would enjoy the idea of being unremarkable but on those reports unremarkable is the goal. So join me in my prayer to Jesus that he would make me truly unremarkable for His glory! This morning I go to Unity Hospital to have another discussion about my right armpit. For the record, in my estimation, my armpits and everyone else's are "unremarkable" but mine seems to have grabbed the attention of the medical community. There is something about a pseudo-aneurism in it that may be addressed with Thrombine. I'll understand more about this after the procedure. The bigger event today has to do with a biopsy in my back. That doesn't sound like much fun to me. I'm looking for "unremarkable" all the way around. | Later that day The bone biopsy was... interesting. Picture laying on a gurney with an IV drip (morphine) while men in funny blue suits pound on your back with a pick and a hammer.When they were done I wanted to see the sample but it was already on its way to testing. I asked to see the hammer and they said, "We throw them out, would you like to keep it as a souvenir?" I was all over that! Wesley and Luke will think its cool! (I do, too!) Mike estimated its value in US currency on the open market! | Bone Biopsy

10: April 21, 2009 Today was the first day that I've seen some significant hair loss! Yikes! Yep, it is starting to drop! When I brush my hair, the brush gets lots of hair. When I run my fingers through it, I can have a disturbing amount of hair in my hand! I bought two scarves. I'm not sure one can really be prepared for bald! April 23, 2009 Although I could not write it on CaringBridge, this is the day we found out that my cancer was stage 4. I had metastatic disease. Nancy and I were in tears. Dr. Anderson said, that it was treatable, but not curable. I also had my second chemo. On the way home, I called Pastor Dave with the news. He said, "We'll be contending for you!" I felt that he and all of Northside were holding me up in prayer. April 25, 2009 I had another ultrasound on my armpit. But the good news is, it is "unremarkable"! I was given a Thrombin shot to address the Pseudoaneurysm. The doctor said it was an "elegant" fix. Perfect. I certainly wanted it if it was elegant. My hair is falling out in handfuls. I think tomorrow will be hat day at church if I have the oomph to get up and go. That remains to be seen. The picture is of today's hair loss! | The report said, "Right breast mass 6.6 cm x 6.2 cm with three enlarged abnormal lymph nodes in right axilla suspicious for metastatic involvement.” “metastatic lesion in L2 vertebral body and in the posterior left iliac bone." Nightmare! We cried. Told a few friends. I didn’t want to burden my kids with the grim news. We took this to Jesus in prayer.

12: Wednesday, May 6, 2009 Due to my need to uncover my head covering situation, I asked both the ladies at church and the families at my co-op to join me in wearing some type of head covering on my first day at church and school with no hair! Many people came with a variety of hats and scarves to stand with me in my plight! What a joy to have such supportive people around me. I am blessed, blessed, blessed!

13: SUNDAY, MAY 10, 2009 10:28 PM Before chemo, we went to visit Lori's boss at Unity Hospital. She was willing to share her husband's testimony of being healed of lymphoma. Lori and I were very encouraged with all of the good news. From there we were off to see Dr. Jade Anderson. After examination he told me my tumor was smaller! Praise God the chemo is working. I had two questions for him. The first was, "Can I get the neulasta shot from Lori at home?" The answer was yes, even though the shot cost $2000 and had to be shipped to my home on dry ice... and there were no additional fees. The second question was, "This is stage four cancer, and the chemo is to extend my life not to cure me, right? So if I get through all of the chemo, and there is no cancer in my body when treatment is complete, wouldn't that be a miracle?" Dr. Jade Anderson replied, We'd like some credit, too." | Nancy was my chariot ride home. It is so wonderful to have supportive girlfriends take care of me during this time. I feel that I am beginning to see the miracle unfold. Even though I am not full strength I feel that I have more energy then I did the first two rounds. I also have been generally less nauseous and I have not taken any of the oral medication for it this time. The biggest blessing has been the consistent parade of visitors I have enjoyed. Toni and Alyssa Singer came over to be my "Janny-sitters" on Friday. Alyssa came with a beautiful bouquet of flowers and Toni was set to spend her time with me or on her own projects if I needed a rest. I felt so comfortable and taken care of. Lori showed up at the appointed hour to administer my shot, which had arrived in the mail. That was such a great blessing. Round three of chemo was the easiest so far. I had the encouragement of friends and the prayers of the saints holding me up. This round was extraordinary! TUESDAY, MAY 12, 2009 4:21 AM There have been biblical pictures that have repeatedly emerged in my thoughts and prayers for the last two months. The first one is of Moses in Exodus 17:8-15. While Moses hands were up the Israelites were winning. When he lowered his hands the enemy was winning. That story reminds me of the battle within my body. Those ugly little cancer cells want to take over but with my hands lifted up to the Lord they will not be successful. But this fight is too long and it is wearisome alone. When Moses got weary Aaron and Hur came to his aid and held up his hands so that they remained steady till sunset. In this time so many people have told me that they are praying for me. Some say that I have been on the forefront of their minds and at the top of their prayer lists.You have held up my hands to the Lord that the fight may be won in His name. I am very humbled and thankful for all of the love! | The Lord is my Banner!

14: THURSDAY, MAY 21, 2009 8:08 AM The salad and fixings Jill and Phil Marin brought were great. It was Sunday evening and Moses was with us. No, not the Pentateuch writer who starred in the 10 commandments. This was a humble prophetic apostle-type from the Congo who moves in a trouble-shooting, deliverance anointing. Later that night...Moses turns to Jan, makes direct eye contact and states, "YOU SHALL LIVE AND NOT DIE !" Needless to say, the gathering progressively improved. The most amazing aspect to this BIG BUMP IN THE ROAD has been...and continues to be, the profusion of kindness that has surfaced, thrived, and increased in intensity, from the body of Christ. | Words are slim pickins when it comes to expressing the overarching impact YOU ALL have had upon us..."Thank you, thank you, thank you!" Jan has her 4th Chemo in 3 hours. Linda Munro (her sister) is going to be with her at Unity Hospital. She flew in from British Columbia to love - to be - to help - to accompany. We are actually believing to a substantial, heaven-sent miracle that will rock satan's domain.... Thank you for continuing in that stand. Mike Leisner | Let Faith Arise!

15: SATURDAY, MAY 23, 2009 6:16 AM My sister, Linda, flew in from British Columbia, Canada to be with me for two weeks. She is a pillar of love and blessing in my life. To have her here is encouragement beyond belief! (The temptation to over-do-it would be great except I got the pre-spanking a few days before at co-op!) One of our fun adventures was to go unannounced to my brother Greg's house on his birthday, Monday. We came bearing gifts thinking we would leave them for him to discover later on his doorstep. We were surprised to find him home and visiting with mom! So we enjoyed a mini family reunion on his back porch! Perfect! Thursday was chemo #4. This was the last round of Dose Dense, which is the most difficult chemo-therapy given. Again, I feel like I am living a miracle. I have energy to visit and to write on Caring Bridge! I am not taking extra medication for nausea but I do seem to need a steady stream of crackers and liquids (and meals) throughout the day. I feel really good. Thank-you, Jesus for carrying me through this time!

16: WEDNESDAY, MAY 27, 2009 9:00 AM Jan has completed four chemotherapy cycles and this last 'dose dense' seems to have taken its toll on her. She has been exhausted without the typical 'bounce back' that she has experienced in the past. She has developed a cough deep in her chest. Nancy insisted on calling the doctor and informing him of this pesky cough. Please pray for Jan today. Thank you to all of Jan's friends. Your prayers, kindness, and support are truly appreciated. Blessings, Linda Munro FRIDAY, MAY 29, 2009 10:48 AM Each day that goes by I think, 'I should feel better today' but unfortunately that has not been the case. I'm still stuck most of the time in my easy chair watching my sister and family scurry around doing 'normal'. Linda and I have been reviewing the lab report numbers which show my white blood counts and platelet counts and stuff I don't relate to. (I personally prefer to grade writing assignments and talk to people who are fully clothed and believe needles are used for embroidery and sewing on buttons.) However, even we, who are non-medical types can see that my white blood count went down almost 10 points in a week. No wonder I feel like Raggedy Ann. | WEDNESDAY, JUNE 3, 2009 9:29 PM Chemo #5 is coursing through my veins and it was a whole different experience from the first four rounds. My nurse hooked up the IV with anti-nausea meds than she put in a large dose of Benadryl. Nancy and I were talking and it seems to me I was trying to explain how I was feeling. It was about that time when the Benadryl began to hit me like a Mac truck! My head went foggy, my speech seemed to slur, my movements felt loopy... I hated every second of it. Just about that time a dear friend of ours, Pati Kachel, who has experienced health challenges in the last six months, came to visit. It was great to see both of her! I did well to say a little as possible but according to Nancy I was pretty funny. Some people spend much time and money to experience that kind of craziness but for me I wanted to pull the IVs and run in the opposite direction. The nurses were very aware that I was not enjoying that at all. My primary nurse encouraged me to not fight the drug but to just rest and even fall asleep if possible. Within a short time she hooked up the new chemo drugs. Dripping into my veins, the chemo took three hours to enter my system. As it came I was aware of immediate changes to my hands and feet. They felt achy or swollen and uncomfortable. I needed a foot massage! Nancy was able to help me out of that difficult situation! What a relief. The whole experience made me again, want to pull the IV and just run out of there because I could feel the little surges of medicine going into my body and three hours of it was more than I could bear. The Lord gave me patience and sleep did eventually settle in upon me. We got through it.

17: THURSDAY, JUNE 11, 2009 4:23 PM Turtle Rash Yesterday was Wesley and Luke's last day of the year at Northside Christian School.We came home and the boys had friends over to enjoy the day. I just relaxed because my energy is not full throttle but it was nice to be out and about. While cleaning up the kitchen I spotted a good sized painted turtle walking across the driveway. Ahh, what a treasure for a 10 and 12 year old boys! I called the boys but they were in the back. So knowing that this old fellow had to meet my boys I threw down my girlish aversion to things that crawl and picked it up and delivered it to the enthusiastic naturalists in the backyard. The turtle displayed evidence of being traumatized but I was none the worse for the adventure... until later. When I went to bed that night I noticed that I was developing a good sized itchy rash on my right forearm. I put some hydrocortisone on it and hoped it would go away. It didn't. When I awoke it was worse and had spread to the left arm, right and left thighs, back, front... all over! Now what? Was this turtle touching disease? | I called the oncology clinic and said they would fit me in the schedule somehow! So I was seen by the nurse and Dr. Anderson. I turns out that this is a classic presentation of an allergic reaction to the chemo drug I was given. It happens on day eight... yep, this is my day eight. So I was given a steroid, which causes weight gain, oh joy, and told that I wouldn't be able to tolerate that type of chemo in my system because I would have the same rash reaction every time.Next time they will have to give me a different drug that is related to the Taxol but not the exact drug again. I understand that in a couple of days I will be able to tolerate my own skin.The little turtle was released back into the wild, and for me, I'm wild in my own skin. SUNDAY, JUNE 21, 2009 4:52 AM I have done six chemos and I have two to go. The countdown is on! I can tell you that I was very much dreading that last chemo. I don't think I realized how much until Nancy picked me up and prayed for me on the way over to oncology. She prayed, I cried and had no words to add. The Lord's comfort was there for me. I knew that the chemo drugs would be different this time but I had no idea what this round would do to me. The last round was very difficult and going back into the chemo chair seemed like an invitation to another round of torture. Whitney and I are planning to go to Florida for the Assembly of God Fine Arts Competition with Emmanuel Christian Center.

18: WEDNESDAY, JULY 8, 2009 12:48 PM On 7-7 (July 7th) I had chemo #7. Scripturally speaking that is the number of completion. However I will have one more chemo after this. The new chemicals have proved to be much easier on my system. I feel great today! The side effects will kick in a couple of days. They include fatigue and some aches in my muscles, which makes this very doable in comparison to Dose Dense In the last couple of weeks we have had the joy of having some time with my nephew, Scott and his bride, Tricia. It has been a relaxing time in comparison to the last time they were here when we were celebrating their wedding with a reception at our house! They are missionaries to Costa Rica and they are home for a visit and some itinerating. They have left to go to visit Tricia's family in New York. They will be missed. We enjoyed a wonderful 4th of July with friends, food, and a fireworks finale. It was an amazing day! | THURSDAY, JULY 16, 2009 9:35 AM Another praise report is that I'm starting to grow hair on my scalp again! One needs a very bright light and a magnifying glass to detect them but if we get the bathroom light just right it appears that a very short crop of seedlings have poked through. I was tempted to shave Wesley and Luke's heads so that we could all grow hair together! I have been contemplating healing and treatments and doctors and...how the world works. When I get it all figured out I'll post it right here on CaringBridge. Ahh, that may be awhile but for today I will write what I have been reading in the scriptures. I happened upon 2 Chronicles 14 and began reading about King Asa. Verse 2 tells us that Asa did what was good and right in the eyes of the Lord. I like that. I want to be like that. Then it begins to talk about what good King Asa did. He was no wimp! He began to smash and tear down altars and poles that had been set up to the foreign gods in the land. He made proclamations that the people should seek the Lord and keep his commands. Whoa! Was that politically correct? The ACLU would hall him into court today! But verse 6 says that the Lord gave him rest. Asa continued to build and prosper. However, enemies came to attack Asa and disturb his rest. What did Asa do? Verse 11 tells us that he called on the Lord his God. "Lord, there is no one like you to help the powerless against the mighty. Help us, O Lord our God, for we rely on you, and in your name we come against this vast army. O Lord, you are our God; do not let man prevail against you." I tend to personalize the scriptures and put myself in the story. So I have prayed (and continue to pray) the prayer of Asa. He had soldiers to fight and I have rouge cells to fight. He called on the Lord and I do, too. What happened to Asa's enemies? Verse 12 says The Lord struck down the Cushites before Asa and Judah. Hallelujah, that works for me, too!

19: TUESDAY, JULY 28, 2009 2:45 AM The Fine Arts team that Whitney is a part of has done an extraordinary job in pulling together to put on dinner theaters, serve food, bag groceries, assemble a silent auction, and put on a fiesta to serve to our Emmanuel Christian Center family last Sunday all in an effort to raise funds for the trip. It has been a walk of faith. As for Whitney and me, we have participated as much as possible and with the help of one large gift and lots of elbow grease we have reached our goal. After that an unusual thing happened... We were given the resources to bring the rest of the family to Florida, too! Mike and I have been talking about an itinerary for the family and checking, checking and rechecking the flights and hotel prices. It is all very exciting. Luke and Wesley are especially bubbling over with enthusiasm! What a gift! This will be a grand adventure and a blessing that we hardly know how to contain. Thank-you, CP & CP! Upon our return I will go for the PET scan and doctor's appointment where we will see the documentation of the answer to our prayers. I am continually blessed by the dear saints that tell me that they are praying for me.I love the fact that the Lord has said that we are to ask and keep asking. Jesus gives the story of the neighbor who pounds on the door in the middle of the night and obtains what is requested based upon persistence. To me that story gives us permission to come again and again to the Lord with our requests. That is for our benefit. We are not scolded for bothering him yet again, but instead we are allowed to return multiple times. We will receive what we have asked for. God is good.

20: FRIDAY, AUGUST 21, 2009 10:54 PM So much has happened in the last two weeks that it is hard to summarize it... but I will try. We have been on a family vacation given to us by two generous souls. I personally left cancer and financial woes back home and simply enjoyed every minute of our time together. It was our pleasure to escort our kids to Disney World, Kennedy Center, a visit at George and Carol's home and a trip to the Atlantic.

21: Double Rainbow! | FRIDAY, AUGUST 21, 2009 10:54 PM, continued. One of my favorite memories will be the last evening of our trip. We made another trip to the beach. As the kids played in the ocean, a beautiful rainbow appeared in the sky. We could see the entire bow and it was right over us. This stunning rainbow stayed brilliantly illuminated for us for at least forty-five minutes. I was so taken with it that I took many pictures. As I watched in wonder the rainbow brightened and developed a second bow above it. I felt the Lord's promise of new things in our lives. Praise his name. It seems that an ancient man, Noah, experienced some very dark and uncomfortable days before he witnessed his first rainbow! But God changed his rainy days into new life in a whole new world. I am trusting him to do the same for us. I had chemo #9 on Thursday. I thought that the PET scan would be scheduled shortly after this treatment but I was wrong. I don't have the date yet but it will be sometime in mid to late September. Tomorrow evening we will assemble the saints to pray once again for my complete healing. Our God is able and he gives us authority to come against sickness in Jesus name. We are trusting him to give us the victory!

22: FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 11, 2009 8:27 AM Can we have a drum roll please? Monday I go in for the anticipated PET/CAT scan. Once again they will fill me with radio active material and put me in the tube to take pictures of my mysterious insides. Whatever can be shaken will be shaken... in a molecular sense. This time I have no false hopes that I will be able to pick-up radio signals or glow-in-the-dark (that was very disappointing last time). However, I am trusting that this photo op will uncover the shrinkage or disappearance of cancer from my body. Medically speaking this is unlikely but when God is in the mix, which He is, anything can happen. The results of the scan will be interpreted for us on Thursday morning. The words of our prayer warrior Moses, rings in my ears..."Whose report are you going to believe?" This phrase in found in scripture and the response is, "We will believe the report of the Lord!" Six months have passed since I was diagnosed with cancer. As expected these days have been difficult. I am reminded of the scripture 2 Corinthians 4:8 "We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed." We have certainly experienced as a family the hard pressed, perplexed, and struck down parts of that verse. Cancer would have been sufficient but add the economic woes to the mix and there is some serious stress! Our comfort comes in knowing that we are not crushed, or abandoned, or destroyed; we have hope in God. Indeed these days have been filled with an outpouring of blessings such as we have never seen before. We have been on the receiving end of cards, gifts, meals, trips, treats, visits, prayer, phone calls, emails, tears and laughter, and a double rainbow! We have been gifted money sufficient to put our boys, Wesley and Luke, back in Northside Christian School. It has been more than we can take in and certainly way more than we deserve. I am blessed. Verse 15 says, "All this is for your benefit, so that the grace that is reaching more and more people may cause thanksgiving to overflow to the glory of God." We give thanks to our mighty God! | THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 17, 2009 11:40 AM Hallelujah!!! God has answered our prayers! The PET scan came back clean. The doctor's words were, "Complete remission!" There is NO cancer visible! Thank-you, Jesus! HALLELUJAH!

23: FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 18, 2009 9:33 AM It is time to Praise the Lord! | Sunday, September 20, 2009 Lunch 1:00 PM Bring a side dish... we'll provide the main dish. People may play volley-ball, basketball, or Bocce ball. Bring a lawn chair. Testimonies, Praise, Worship, and Prayer! 3:00 PM You're ALL Invited!

Sizes: mini|medium|large|jumbo
Default User
  • By: Janice L.
  • Joined: almost 8 years ago
  • Published Mixbooks: 1
No contributors

About This Mixbook

  • Title: My Journey Through Cancer
  • Walking through the darkest valley of my life, I held onto the hand of the Good Shepherd Jesus. He sustained me through it and brought me to a place of complete healing!
  • Tags: healing, cancer, Testimony, inspiration, bible, jesus, miracle, trial, journey
  • Published: almost 8 years ago