Up to 50% Off + 10% Off! Up to 50% Off + 10% Off Sitewide! Code: HARVEST Ends: 11/18 Details

  1. Help
Up to 50% Off + 10% Off! Up to 50% Off + 10% Off Sitewide! Code: HARVEST Ends: 11/18 Details

Atlanta, GA

Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.

Atlanta, GA - Page Text Content

S: Trip to Atlanta, Georgia - November 25-29, 2010 - Jim & Debbie Felker & Robin Swiatnicki

BC: Created by Robin Swiatnicki January 2011

FC: Trip to Atlanta, Georgia Nov. 25 - 29, 2010 Jim & Debbie Felker Robin Swiatnicki | CNN Headquarters | Packers vs. Falcons | Atlanta | Coca Cola Museum | Cyclorama Civil War Museum | Georgia Aquarium | Jim Felker and George Hubbert

1: Thursday, November 25, 2010 - Monday, November 29, 2010 On Thanksgiving Day, Robin Swiatnicki and Jim and Debbie Felker flew Continental Airlines from Green Bay, WI to Atlanta, GA. While in Atlanta, we visited with Jim's Navy buddy, George Hubbert and his wife Freda. We also toured the CNN Headquarters, the Coca Cola Museum, The Georgia Aquariam, the Cyclorama Civil War Museum. and the Green Bay Packer NFL football game against the Atlanta Falcons (Packers lost 17-20). Top Left Photo - Robin Swiatnicki, Freda and George Hubbert, Debbie & Jim Felker. Top Right Photo - Debbie and Jiim. Bottom Right Photo - Coca Cola Bear and Robin

2: Diary of Our Trip to Atlanta, Georgia Thursday Nov. 25, 2010 As mentioned on the title page, we left Green Bay, WI at 9:00 a.m. on Continental Airlines Flight 2378. We arrived in Cleveland, OH just before 10:15 a.m., found our gate and waited for our 12:30 p.m flight. We also turned our watches ahead 1 hour. Arriving in Atlanta at 2:30 p.m. we walked from Section E to Section C and then decided to save time and get on the tram. Upon arriving at Section A, we found our luggage and then proceeded to the Marta Subway where we purchased 3 round trip tickets for $3.50 each. Total cost $13.50. We waited only a few minutes before we boarded the subway. On our way downtown we stopped at numerous places: College Park, East Point, Lakewood/Ft. McPherson, Oakland City, West End, Gannett, Five Points and then our stop - Peachtree Center. Exiting the subway we took the elevator to street

3: level as the escalator was out of service. Once we reached street level, we stopped at an information booth, to ask directions to our hotel. A homeless man came up to us and said that he would take us to our hotel. Jim gave the gentleman a few dollars for his help. We checked into Room 1707 which was equipped with 1 queen bed, a pull-out couch where Jim slept, bathroom, refrigerator, microwave and a nice dish of Granny Smith Apples. We were hungry so we decided to take a walk and find something to eat for Thanksgiving. There weren't many places open. We tried the Carlton Ritz, where the Packers would be staying, but they didn't have any dinner reservations available. We ended up eating at "HOOTERS". Our appetizers included mozzarella sticks, onion rings, Margaritas for Debbie and I and an O'Douhl's for Jim. Everyone enjoyed a nice, big, juicy hamburger and either French fries, potato salad or beans. It wasn't turkey with all the trimmings, but it sure hit the spot when you are hungry. | After supper, we took a walk around town. When we got to the Olympic Park area we decided to take a carriage ride. The cost was $25.00 per person and a $10.00 tip - total $85.00. The gentleman gave us a very nice 20 minute ride and told us all about Atlanta. We saw the CNN building, the Omni Hotel, the Coca Cola Museum, The Georgia Aquarium, The Bank of America-Atlanta's tallest building and Pittypat's Restaurant. On our way back to the hotel we stopped at a local diner to get some desserts to go. I picked Coconut Cream Pie, Debbie got Banana Cream Pie and Jim got a Chocolate and Vanilla Cannoli. They were all delicious! We arrived back at the hotel around 6:50 p.m. I tried to call John and my girls but nobody was home. We watched a little TV and went to bed early as it had been a long day and we were all exhausted.

4: Debbie and Jim | Flatiron Building | Robin and Debbie

5: Atlanta | Robin and Debbie | Westin Peachtree Plaza | Robin and Debbie

6: so many | Each memory we keep with care means future happiness to share.

7: LIVE WELL LAUGH OFTEN LOVE MUCH | On Friday evening we paid $25.00 each plus a $10.00 tip (total $85.00) for a 20 minute carriage ride around downtown Atlanta. | Fun | Nice

8: Olympic Park Area

9: Lights of Downtown Atlanta, Water Fountain, X-MAS Tree, Skating Park Olympic Sign

10: Scramble Eggs Bacon Sausage Fried Potatoes Waffles Oatmeal Fresh Fruit Coffee, Juice Tea

11: Room 1707 of the Marriot Residence Inn included 1 queen bed, pull out couch where Jim slept (Jim wore his ear plugs to drown out all the snoring!!!). refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker and a dish of Granny Smith apples. Another real plus was the fantastic continental breakfast served daily.

13: More of Downtown Atlanta n

14: When we got to the park area there were some kids standing inside the water fountain getting their picture taken. It looked like a lot of fun so we decided we also wanted to do that. We got a homeless guy to take our picture. It was really neat having the water surround us. I gave the man $5.00 from all of us, but he must have thought that was my contribution because he went up to Jim and asked him for money. He wasn't dumb!!! We then walked over to the CNN building. It was huge inside. The outside perimeter contained retail stores and fast food restaurants. The inside of the area was filled with tables and chairs for people to sit and watch the numerous TV's. The upper floors contained the actual CNN Headquarters and one side had the Omni Hotel. We bought our tickets (Debbie and I had to pay $13.00 and Jim got the Senior rate of $12.00) for the 1 hour guided tour. From this point forward no cameras were allowed. We went through a metal detector | Friday November 26, 2010 We got up around 7:00 a.m. and took turns in the bathroom. We then went down to the 2nd floor for Continental breakfast. We were really impressed. They had scrambled eggs, Denver potatoes, fried sausage, regular fried potato wedges, oatmeal, fresh fruit, fresh juices, coffee and sweet rolls. You could also make a waffle and then top it with strawberries and whipped cream or syrup. Breakfast was out of this world. We left the hotel at 8:45 a.m. and headed to the Olympic Park area. Today we would take the CNN tour, go to the Coca Cola Museum, the Georgia Aquarium and then take a taxi to the Cyclorama Civil War Museum. After we did all of our touring we would go back to the hotel and wait for George and Freda to pick us up for supper. .

15: and my purse was checked. We then got on an escalator that went up 5 floors. It is the longest escalator in the world. Out tour guide then took us into a room and explained about the teleprompter, the TV sets that show the real program and the preset. The director and producer tell them when to start talking. On the teleprompter the word "Break" tells them to turn a page. If for some reason something goes wrong with the teleprompter the news person knows exactly where to continue on his/her paper copy. They also explained about the green screen. We had our picture taken behind the news desk and then continued on the tour. We actually saw live coverage from the 24/7 news set. It was very interesting. When the tour finished we were brought to the store where we purchased our picture and bought souvenirs. I bought postcards, magnets and a t-shirt and hat for John. Debbie & Jim also bought items. | After the tour we walked over to the Coca Cola Museum. We bought tickets for both the Coca Cola and the Georgia Aquarium. It was cheaper to buy both at one time. Total cost was $36.50 each. We did not do the guided tour just a walking tour. It was very interesting to see how Coca Cola is bottled. At the end of the tour we went into the tasting area where we were allowed to taste different kinds of Coke products from all over the world. One country had a watermelon flavor. The newest flavor we got to taste was "gingerbread". I wasn't too sure about that one. When we got by the North America section Debbie ran into a gentleman that had a "Wisconsin" shirt on. She asked him if he was also a Packer fan and he replied that he lived only 5 blocks from the stadium. She told him she lived in Peshtigo, WI and that we were going to the game on Sunday. He said he was too. We then walked around the corner and all

16: of a sudden Debbie let out a hoot. John and Nan Kehoe from Marinette were standing in front of us. The guy Debbie was talking to was their son's friend. It's a small world when you go so far away from home and meet someone that has a connection. They called Jim's phone to give us their number so we could tailgate with them. When we left the tasting area we were given a free bottle of Coca Cola. We then went into the store and I bought Coca Cola ornaments for X-MAS presents. Next stop was the Georgia Aquarium. It was really smart that we bought our tickets because the aquarium was really crowded. We walked around for a couple of hours and then decided to get a taxi and head over to the Cyclorama Civil War Museum. Cost of the taxi with tip was $18.00. I paid this and Jim and Debbie would pay the fare back to the hotel. The taxi guy gave us his card and said to call when we were finished. | Our tickets for the museum were $10.00 for Debbie and I and $8.00 for Jim. We had to wait about 20 minutes before the show so we walked around the museum area. The museum is located next to the Atlanta Zoo. You can read all about the Cyclorama Museum on p. 27. When we were finished we waited about 10 minutes for our taxi. When we got back to the hotel we stopped at the front desk and bought some snacks and a soda. It wasn't cheap but hit the spot. Jim called George and he said that he would pick us up for dinner around 5:30 p.m. George dropped his wife Freda off at the restaurant and came and picked us up. We ate supper at "Pittypat's Porch". This was a restaurant that my brother Nick had told me about. It was named for the Aunt in the movie "Gone With the Wind". We had a very nice meal. Appetizers included "Fried Green Tomatoes"

17: and "Catfish". They were very tasty. Jim and I had 1/2 rack of Baby Back Ribs and Southern Fried Chicken. Debbie, George and Freda all had the chicken. For dessert, Jim and I tried the Chocolate Pudding that had whipped cream and bourbon. It was great. Jim, Debbie and I paid for the meal which came to $90.00 each (total $180.00). I took lots of pictures of the restaurant. George and Freda said that in its day this was the place to dine at. You always needed a reservation. Tonight was not crowded. George wasn't sure if the reason was that the restaurant had recently changed ownership or if downtown Atlanta is just not as busy as it used to be. George took us back to the hotel around 7:30 p.m. and said that he would be back in the morning to pick us up for a little sightseeing of Atlanta. We were all exhausted so we watched a little TV and then went to bed early.

18: Musical Water Fountain | Debbie, Jim and Robin in the fountain! | Photo Shooter

19: Waiting! | Olympic Centennial Park | Caution!!!

20: C N N Tour | The "5" story Escalator

21: The eating and TV viewing area | The "News" Team- Robin, Jim and Debbie

22: Coca Cola Museum Jim,and Debbie Felker Jim and Robin Swiatnicki Nan Hofer and Debbie

24: The Georgia Aquarium 225 Baker St. N.W. Atlanta, GA

27: Cyclorama Civil War Museum Take a seat and enjoy the Cyclorama's view of Atlanta -- as it was in 1864 during the Civil War. The Cyclorama, a Civil War museum set on the edge of Grant Park, is most famous for its panorama painting of the Battle of Atlanta. It's not like any painting you've ever seen before. After the work was commissioned in 1885, several artists from the American Panorama Company in Milwaukee visited the battlefield, heard firsthand accounts of the fighting and finally finished the oversized painting in 1886. Today, their version of the Battle of Atlanta can be viewed right here in the city. Rotating stadium-style seating is poised in the center of the cyclorama painting to allow for a 360 degree view of the work -- still the largest oil painting in the world. The foreground is enhanced as a diorama, with scenery and figurines (made to look life size), bringing the battlefield to life and giving the display a three-dimensional look. In fact, it's hard to tell where the painting ends and the diorama begins. Don't worry if you having a hard time distinguishing important details in the scene. A Cyclorama staff member takes the spin with you to point out key elements. For instance, the man leading a charge on the black stallion is John Alexander Logan, the Illinois senator who commissioned the painting during his run for vice president after the war. (He died prior to its completion). Stone Mountain can be seen in the distance on one portion of the painting. And a figurine of Clark Gable portrays one of the dead Confederate soldiers in the diorama (added following a comment by Gable that his image would complete the scene). The painting is 122 years old, is 42 feet tall, weighs 9,334 pounds, covers 16,000 square feet, has a 358-foot circumference and would cover a football field if laid flat. Today it is valued at $25 million. In addition to the painting, the Cyclorama also houses a modest collection of Civil War artifacts and the steam locomotive known as the Texas. The Texas, used by the Confederate Army, was the hero of the Great Locomotive Chase in 1862, when it was used to chase down the General locomotive after Union soldiers hijacked it. The beautiful Cyclorama building can be rented for events, meetings and weddings.

28: PITTYPAT'S PORCH | Fried Green Tomatoes | Catfish | Country Fried Chicken | Baby Back Ribs | Dessert

29: Catfish | Catfish | Catfish | Catfish | Friends | Nice Restaurant

30: Saturday November 27, 2011 George picked us up around 10:00 a.m. We drove past the Georgia Dome and then headed North on Peachtree Street toward his home in Duluth, GA. Our first stop was to view the Atlanta Athletic Club. This golf course was the home course for the famous Atlanta golfer Bobby Jones. In 1930, he won the Grand Slam of the time: the U.S. Open, U.S. Amateur, the British Open and the British Amateur. I took some pictures of his trophies. We were all starting to get hungry so we decided we would stop for lunch at J. Alexander's at the Forum shopping mall. We had a very nice lunch. Debbie had a turkey club and FF, I had a Cheeseburger and FF. George and Jim each had the Asian Salad. Jim also had chili. "Calamari" was the appetizer. Everyone

31: paid the bill, $60.00 each. We thanked George and Freda for spending time with us. While in the restaurant, we had another interesting encounter with some Packer fans that we said hi to. The one gentleman was from Atlanta, but his relatives were from Neenah, WI. I told them that my 2 brothers lived in Neenah. One on Cecil St. and other on Babcock and that their wives worked at Neenah High School. The man asked the name and I replied "Dohr". He then said "Lisa who works for the Athletic Director". Lisa is my brother Nick's wife. The man's name was Joe Vanevenhoven who Lisa calls to ref at their athletic games. It sure is a "Small World"!!! George took us back to the hotel about 7:45 p.m. and we said our goodbyes. We watched TV and then hit the sack. Tomorrow was the Packer game. Go Pack Go! | tried it except Debbie. It was very good. George treated the 3 of us to lunch. After lunch we stopped at "Dreamland" to buy their famous barbecue sauce, $5.95/qt. I bought 4 quart bottles and Jim bought 3. Next stop was George and Freda's house which is located in a secured area called St. Marlow. They have a very beautiful house, tastefully decorated. While we were there, George showed us his BMW Jeep, his 39 Packard which he brought us in and his 57 Blue Chevrolet Convertible which he is currently restoring. After visiting, Debbie, Freda and I left to go to the shopping mall to buy gifts. George and Jim finished reminiscing about the good old days in the Navy and then met us at Ippolita's, a nice Italian restaurant. Our meal was delicious. Jim and I even had dessert. The three of us

32: Navy Buddies George's Blue 57 Chevrolet Convertible | Jim Felker and George Hubbert

33: George's 39' Packard

34: Atlanta Athletic Club "GOLF'

35: Atlanta Athletic Club | B O B B Y J O N E S | 1930 All Time PGA Winner

36: Barbecue Sauce $5.95 each plus tax ($6.30 total)

37: Delicious!

38: George & Freda Hubbert Residence 8105 Royal Troon Drive Duluth, GA 30097 770-495-7240

39: Living Room, Dining Room & Kitchen

40: Jim Felker and George Hubbert

41: Ippolita's Italian Restaurant | Key Lime Pie

42: Sunday November 28, 2010 We got up about 7:45 a.m. and each took a shower and then went down for breakfast. I had waffles with syrup and whipped cream, a banana, scrambled eggs, potatoes and juice. Jim had yogurt and fruit and Debbie had a waffle, biscuit and coffee. Breakfast really hit the spot. We left for the 1:00 p.m. Packer game around 9:45 a.m. We were hoping that the Hofer's from Marinette would call us about tailgating with them. We didn't have their number as Jim accidentally erased it. We got to the CNN building and decided to use the restroom and sit there for a little while. While waiting, Debbie's friends called and told us they were in the "yellow parking lot". We left about 10:30 a.m. to see if we could find them. We called several times trying to find | their location. It took over 45 minutes to finally find our way. We were actually going the wrong direction. We had to walk through the Conference Center which was over a mile long. The Hofer's were in the back part of the parking lot. When we got to the street across from the parking lot it was already 11:15 a.m. We decided it would take too long to find them, so we called and said that we were sorry, but we were going to go into the stadium. By the time we walked back it was 11:45 a.m. We were already on the ground level so we just had to find Gate D. Entering the arena we were given a magnet in the shape of a football, a lottery ticket and a Falcon flag. We had to show our tickets to get into our section. We found our seats and Debbie left to get a drink and I some pizza. She was back in a few minutes as she had to show her driver's license to

43: prove her age. Isn't that funny! Debbie was gone for a little while as she walked all around the stadium to check things out. Our seats were located on the Packer side about the 25 yard line; Section 133, Row 11, Seats 9, 10 and 11. They were really nice seats. We paid $289.00 per ticket ($239.00 each, plus $45.00 processing fee and $5.00 each to mail them). The Falcon fans who sat in front of us are season ticket holders and they only pay $120.00 for each ticket. They really get you when you buy tickets on the internet. Before the game we met more Packer fans. The young man and his wife next to Debbie were from Italy and on vacation in Georgia. The wife's sister lived in Atlanta and after the game they were all traveling to Orlando for a week. The couple behind me said that they originally were from Appleton and had transferred | to Augusta for Kimberly Clark. I told them my daughter worked for the same company and had been traveling a lot to Georgia, South Carolina, Texas and Utah. The girl said that she must be in the baby care unit and I said that she was on the "Huggies team". She asked her name. I replied, Sarah Funk. She said I know her. Now that is really something!!! I called Sarah because I didn't think I would remember her name. It was Emily Hutter. Sarah asked if she knew her boss Eric? Emily said yes. Apparently Sarah and Eric took Emily and her husband out to dinner only a few weeks earlier. It was now 1:00 p.m. and the game between the Atlanta Falcons and the Green Bay Packers began. The Star Spangled Banner was sung and the players were announced. When the Falcons were introduced they came out of their tunnel with pyrotechnics shooting in the air. It is quite exciting.

44: During commercial breaks there were people throwing out t-shirts to the crowd. We did not catch one, but Jim did catch a parachute that contained a t-shirt during half-time. The parachutes were thrown down from the catwalk above us. Jim was nice, as he gave his shirt to the little boy in front of us. It was a pretty tough game. The Packers were able to tie the game with 1 minute, but sadly let the Falcons go down the field and score a field goal with only 8 seconds left. We should have won. We fumbled the ball in the end zone once which gave them a score. There was also one play that the coach should have thrown the red flag but it was never shown on replay, so we never got a chance to have it reviewed. Oh well - we will get them next time. The score was Atlanta 20, Packers 17. (As of this writing, 1-15-11, we did beat the Falcons in the 2nd round of playoffs 48 to 21). Way to go Packers!!! | It took a little while to get out of the stadium. We weren't in any hurry, so we waited about 10 minutes. When we got outside we had to take a ramp back and forth, about 5 loops to get to street level. We walked back to the CNN building to use the bathroom but it was really crowded. We decided to wait until we got back to the hotel. We arrived at 4:20 p.m. Around 4:45 p.m. we walked to The Hard Rock Cafe for something to eat. Debbie and Jim had Barbecued Ribs and I had Shrimp with Pasta. After supper we went into the gift shop. I bought a Hard Rock canvas bag to use in case my luggage was too heavy and Debbie and Jim bought t-shirts for their grandchildren. We got back to the hotel around 7:00 p.m. Packed our suitcases, watched a little TV and reminisced about our nice trip to Atlanta, Georgia. Tomorrow we would head back home.

45: Good Game | Green Bay Packers vs. Atlanta Falcons | November 28, 2010

46: The Georgia Dome Sunday, Nov. 28, 2010 | Falcons vs. Packers 20 - 17

47: Go Pack Go | Debbie and Gabriele Guardigli (Italy) | Emily Hutter | Season Ticket Falcon Fans

48: G R E E N B A Y W I S C O N S I N

49: G R E E N B A Y W I S C O N S I N

50: Monday November 29, 2010 We woke up about 7:00 a.m., got dressed and then went down for our last breakfast in Atlanta. We each had either waffles, yogurt, oatmeal, eggs, toast, fruit, juice and/or milk. It sure hit the spot and would last us until we ate something in Cleveland. When we got back to our room, we did some last minute checking of our bags. Jim grabbed the leftover food from the refrigerator. We had asked at the front desk and they said that they would give it to some of the homeless people. We checked out leaving the hotel at 8:30 a.m. There was a light rain coming down as we walked to the Marta Subway. We went down a couple of escalators to | get underground. Checked our ticket at the Kiosk and waited about 5 minutes for the subway train. We got on the Southbound Marta and headed to the Atlanta Hartsfield/Jackson Airport and arrived at 9:00 a.m. We found the Continental Airline check-in area and got in line. When we checked our bags Debbie and Jim were over by 3 lbs. (53.5) so we took items from their suitcase and put them in mine because my suitcase only weighed 47.5 lbs. First exchange put their suitcase down to 47.5 lbs. and mine to 53.5 lbs. We had to rearrange them again. Second time theirs was 50.5 lbs. and mine 49.5 lbs. The guy said that was OK. Good thing Debbie put some items in her carry on tote. We went through security which wasn't any different than

51: going through Green Bay. We weren't sure because they had added extra security at most major airports (body scans and pat downs). We found our gate about 9:30 a.m. The area was full so we walked to another gate to find a seat. We would come back to our gate about 10:15 a.m. and wait for our 12:30 p.m. departure to Green Bay via Cleveland, Ohio. In the meantime I found a Hardee's and had a Cheeseburger, FF and soda for lunch. Debbie bought a Musketeer. While we waited Jim read the newspaper and I did some Sudoku puzzles. We heard an announcement on the loud speaker around 10:45 a.m. that 1/2 of the airport was without power. It was not on our side so we were safe. We left on schedule for Cleveland and ha | only a short wait before getting on our plane to Green Bay. We arrived home in Peshtigo around 4:45 p.m. In summing up our Thanksgiving adventure, we had a very nice trip to the great city of Atlanta, Georgia for $800.00 plus spending money. This included airfare, hotel and Packer tickets. It was great to see Jim's navy buddy George and his wife Freda; visit some of Atlanta's famous sites and attend the Packer/Falcon game even though they lost. It was also fun meeting new people, especially Packer fans that had a connection to someone we know. I hope you thoroughly enjoyed reading and seeing our fantastic trip. Thanks for the "MEMORIES"! DEDICATED TO: Jim and Debbie Felker and Robin Swiatnicki

52: George and Freda Hubbert visit 39' Packard Packer/Falcon Game CNN Studio Tour Coca Cola Museum Georgia Aquarium Cyclorama Civil War Museum Olympic Park Georgia Conference Center Marta Subway, Carriage Ride | Georgia Conference Center

53: H I G H L I G H T S | A T L A N T A | Of

Sizes: mini|medium|large|super size
Robin Swiatnicki
  • By: Robin S.
  • Joined: almost 9 years ago
  • Published Mixbooks: 6
No contributors

About This Mixbook

  • Title: Atlanta, GA
  • A Thanksgiving trip to Atlanta, Ga with friends Jim and Debbie Felker. We would visit Jim Navy buddy, George Hubbert and his wife Freda and attend the NFL Green Bay Packer game against the Atlanta Falcons.
  • Tags: vacation
  • Published: almost 9 years ago