FC: Prague & Budapest November 2004
1: II courtyard with Kohl’s fountain and St Cross Chapel was formed on a buried moat in the 16th century. | Prague Castle is the largest medieval castle complex in Europe and the ancient seat of Czech kings throughout the ages.
2: Prague Castle
3: St. Vitus Cathedral
4: The former main entrance to the cathedral is called the Golden Portal. A large mosaic above the entrance was made in a Bohemian glass factory with the assistance of Italian artists. It depicts the Last Judgement.
6: St. George's Basilica | St. George's Basilica is the oldest church building within the Prague Castle complex. Founded by Prince Vratislav I in the 10th century it is the best preserved Romanesque church in Prague.
7: Views of Prague seen from Prague Castle
9: The Mala Strana Bridge Tower (Lesser Town Bridge Tower) guards the Mala Strana end of Charles Bridge.
11: Charles Bridge | Charles Bridge (Karluv Most) is a 14th century stone bridge linking the two sides of Prague. This is the main pedestrian route connecting the Old Town with Mala Strana and Prague Castle.
14: One of the most impressive sights in Prague is the Old Jewish cemetery in Josefov, the former Jewish ghetto. This cemetery was used from 1439 to 1787 and it is the oldest existing Jewish cemetery in Europe. The Nazis made it a policy to destroy Jewish cemeteries, sometimes using the tombstones for target practice, but Hitler ordered that this cemetery be left intact, since he was planning to build a Jewish museum in Prague after all the Jews in Europe had been exterminated according to his diabolical plan. | The Jewish Quarter | The Old-New Synagogue in Josefov, the old Jewish quarter of Prague, is the oldest synagogue in Europe that is still in use as a house of prayer.
15: Jewish Town Hall This synagogue was built by Maisel in 1586, its rococo facade was added in the 18th century. There is a clock tower with Hebrew figures whose hands run backwards because Hebrew reads from right to left. | This Ceremonial Hall is one of only a few original buildings from Prague's old Jewish Quarter. This pseudo-Romanesque style building was used for various religious services and ceremonies, as well as a mortuary.
16: Hradcany Prague Castle District
19: The entrance to I Courtyard of Prague Castle is through a gate decorated with statues of Fighting Giants and vases from Ferdinand Platzer, guarded by two castle guards.
20: Dating from the 15th century, Golden Lane was created when a new outer wall was added to the existing Romanesque castle complex. It was originally known as Zlatnicka Ulicka (Goldsmith's Lane), due to the many goldsmith's residing here. | Golden Lane
24: Old Town Hall Tower & Astronomical Clock | Below the Astronomical Clock are 12 medallions with the signs of the zodiac. On the hour, every hour, a small trap door opens and Christ marches out ahead of his 12 disciples, while the skeleton of death tolls the bell to a defiant statue of a Turk.
25: Church of Our Lady Before Tyn
26: View of Powder Gate and Old Town Prague from Town Hall Tower
27: Church of St. Nicholas
31: Old Town Square (Staromestske Namesti) | Kriz House (House of the Cross) with its lovely Renaissance window and Baroque railing decorated with the inscription Praga caput regni, (Prague, Capital of the Empire).
33: Scraffito on the walls of a building in Old Town Square | Walking around Old Town Square. Being silly with Zac and Christie
34: Exploring Prague at night. We found a giant chair that required a picture of us sitting in it as well as a Christmas tree that was up and lit even before Thanksgiving.
35: Nothing says Prague like a funny hat and a picture with a wooden pirate.
37: Bratislava Slovakia
38: Heroe's Square Budapest
39: The millenial monument was built in 1896 to commemorate the 1000th anniversary of the arrival of Hungarians in the Carpathian Basin. The monument consists of two semi-circles on the top of which the symbols of War and Peace, Work and Welfare, Knowledge and Glory can be seen. The niches are decorated by the statues of kings, governors and famous characters of the Hungarian history. At the foot of each statue a small relief depicts the most important moment of the life of the personality. In the middle of Heroes' square stands a 36 metres high Corinthian column with the statue of Archangel Gabriel on the top, the symbol of the Roman Catholic religion. At the pedestal the equestrian statues commemorate Arpad and the seven chieftains of the Hungarian tribes, who settled their people in the present territory of Hungary. His descendants formed the Hungarian royal dynasty..
42: Fisherman's Bastion | Built in 1905, The Fisherman's Bastion is made up of seven towers - each one symbolizing one of the seven Magyar tribes that came to Hungary in 896. | The bastion sits in a neighborhood once known as Fisherman's Town, thus the name.
44: The Church of Our Lady, Budapest's St. Matthias Church
45: Matthias Church located in the heart of the Castle District, was built in the 13th century and was Budapest's first parish church. The church takes its name from King Matthias, who ruled from 1458-90, He was well-known as a patron of the arts and enlightenment and revered for reconstructing the Hungarian state after years upon years of feudal anarchy.
46: Tower of the Church of Mary Magdalene | The Church, dating from the middle of the 13th century, originally served as the parish church for the Hungarian citizens of the town . The ruins behind the church have been used to form an exhibition of the history of the church. In 1792 Emperor Francis I, King of Hungary, was crowned in the church
47: MaryMaryMar | Vienna Gate Square - This is the northern gate of the District and The only existing old town-gate | Budapest Royal Palace | Sculpture of a Turul bird, which was a mythical bird believed to be a kind of falcon is a part of the story of how the Magyars settled the Hungarian homeland. This bird appeared in a dream to the wife of the Magyar leader gyek and told her that she would be the founding mother of a new nation.
48: The Hillebrandt-faade of the cour d'honneur | Turret remaining from the original Gothic castle built in the 14th century by Prince Stephen, Duke of Slavonia
49: Castle Hill | Hungarian Coat of Arms
50: Chain Bridge First connection over the Danube River between Buda and Pest opened in 1849.
51: View of Pest as seen from the top of Castle Hill in Buda
52: St. Stephen's Basilica | The church is named for Saint Stephen I of Hungary, the first King of Hungary
53: Cupola inside St. Stephen's | Inside St. Stephen's is Hungary's most sacred treasure, St Stephen's mummified right hand, the Szent Jobb (Holy Right Hand)
54: Hungarian Parliament Building
56: Guided Tour of the Hungarian Parliament Building
57: Grand Stairwell | Main Hall | The building has 691 rooms, over 12.5 miles of corridors and the central dome is 226 feet high. It is currently the 3rd largest parliament building in Europe.
58: Vajdahunyad Castle
59: Exploring Budapest at night
60: War damaged buildings and graffiti seen near the Liberty Bridge on the Pest side.
61: Liberty Bridge over the Danube River | Gellert Hotel, built in 1918 houses many natural thermal baths.
62: Cave Church on Gellert Hill | Erected atop the hill in 1947, the Liberation Monument pays homage to the Soviet soldiers that freed the city from the Nazis during World War II.
63: This cave on Gellert Hill was originally home to Saint Istvan, a hermit monk who cured the sick with thermal waters that sprung in front of the cave.. | The Cave Church is cared for by the Hungarian Paulite order of monks. It was first dedicated in 1926 and was expanded in the 1930s
64: Gellert Monument | Gellert Hill was named for Bishop Gellert, known for his mission to spread Christianity throughout Hungary
68: Calvinist Church in Szilagyi Dezso ter
69: Church of St. Anne (Szent Anna templom), dominates Batthyny Square