Up to 50% Off! Enjoy 40-50% Off Sitewide! Code: BDAYCAKE Ends: 8/26 Details

  1. Help
Up to 50% Off! Enjoy 40-50% Off Sitewide! Code: BDAYCAKE Ends: 8/26 Details

Savannah and Charleston - Aug 2011

Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.

Savannah and Charleston - Aug 2011 - Page Text Content

S: Savannah and Charleston August 2011

FC: Visiting Savannah and Charleston August 2011

1: Kay and I made our way to visit the sister cities - Savannah, GA and Charleston, SC. We had a lot to see and do in 7 days. We left Houston August 27th and were soon enjoying the Savannah sites. Mid-week, we continued our journey to Charleston. I hope you enjoy looking at some of our captured memories on the following pages.

2: After we checked into the hotel, we made our way down to the River front for dinner. We decided to try the Cotton Exchange and were not disappointed. Our crab dip and shrimp po boys hit the spot. After dinner, we found our favorite store - Savannah's Original Candy Store. Nothing beats fresh pralines and salt water taffy.

3: While enjoying our candy, we walked along the river front. I noticed the balcony above or I should say the missing balcony.

4: Our hotel was located near the river front in the historic district. We walked by many shaded parks and found Paula Dean's famous restaurant, The Lady and Sons. | We were on the third floor and had a view of the park

5: Savannah’s City Hall was built in 1905 on the site of the 1799 City Exchange. Its gold dome has become an icon for the City.

6: The old 1886 Cotton Exchange building where prices of cotton, lumber and turpentine were set for the world.

7: Something to Talk About | Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil - Mercer house and Clary's | Forest Gump - Park bench and church steeple where the feather floated by. | Movie locations in Savannah

9: Peaceful

10: Mansion on Forsyth Park | The Confederate Memorial

11: The smallest house in Savannah | Olympic Games Monument | Visitors and ships are greeted by the Waving Girl, Florence Martus | Pirate House | Fort Wayne was built in 1762 to defend Savannah. The fort was not of military importance until the Revolutionary War.

13: Twin house on Bull St. Built for twin sisters who always wanted what the other twin had. Naturally, they fought over who would live on the left or right. | Old Sorrel - Weed House | Sherman's Headquarters

15: Owens Thomas House was completed in 1819 for cotton merchant Richard Richardson who lost the house in the financial depression of 1820. The House then served as an elegant boarding house. In 1825, the Revolutionary War hero, Marquis de Lafayette, was a guest. He gave speeches from the balcony.

16: Colonial Park cemetery has burials from 1750 to 1853

17: Federal troops took over the cemetery grounds during their occupation of Savannah and many of the graves were looted and desecrated. Many of the headstones were misplaced with the stones along the back wall of the cemetery.

18: If you say so | Statue for Johnny Mercer is facing the City Market. A great little place for art and crafts.

19: Kay resting in one of the many parks during our morning walk.

21: Cathedral of St. John the Baptist

22: Several people told us to have lunch at Mrs. Wilkes Boarding house - we made it there our last day in Savannah. It was wonderful! | We left Savannah the next morning and made our way toward Charleston. On the way, we stopped in Beaufort and visited St. Helena's Church

23: St. Helena’s was established in 1712 as a colonial parish of the Church of England. The church was built in 1724 and is one of the oldest active churches in North America.

26: Middleton Place | First settled in the late 17th century, with the family residence dating from 1705/06, Middleton Place was acquired by Henry Middleton in 1741. For a century and a quarter the property was the family seat of four successive generations of Middletons who played important roles in American history. It has miraculously remained under the same family stewardship for over 300 years.

27: You can walk the same footpaths as did pre-Revolutionary statesman - Henry Middleton, President of the First Continental Congress; Arthur Middleton, a signor of the Declaration of Independence; Henry Middleton 2nd, Governor of SC and later Minister to Russia; Williams Middleton, a signor of the Ordinance of Secession.

29: 1865 – Union troops occupied the plantation and on February 22, the plantation was ransacked and its main house and northern wing were burned beyond repair.

30: The southern wing of the house built as a gentleman's guest wing, which was less severely damaged, was restored and became the family home in 1870.

33: Plantation Chapel, 1851 - 1865 with the spring house beneath

37: Below the formal lawn lies Butterfly Lakes and a mile long strip of water to disappear at the distant curve of the Ashley River

38: "Wood Nymph" (1810) by Rudolf Schadow is a survivor of many statues in the Gardens that were destroyed during the American Revolution and Civil War. | Below - Middleton Oak - 85' tall, 37' circumference and limb spread of 145' marked an Indian trail long before Englishmen came to the Low Country

39: Magnolia Plantation and Gardens

40: Magnolia Plantation has been the original ancestral home of the Drayton family since 1676. Today the plantation is home to the 11th generations of Draytons. Magnolia gardens have been famous since the late 1800s and considered the most beautiful garden in the world.

42: Above - the family tomb

45: The home is the third to grace the site in more than three centuries of Drayton family. The current main House – the core of which was built prior to the Revolutionary War near Summerville, South Carolina and floated down the Ashley River to Magnolia after the Civil War

46: Drayton Hall | Drayton Hall | Drayton Hall | Drayton Hall | Drayton Hall is different. It’s the real thing - that is, in near-original condition. Instead of being restored to the vision of those who lived centuries after it was built, Drayton Hall is an artifact that has survived the American Revolution, the Civil War, the earthquake of 1886, hurricanes like Hugo, and maybe most surprisingly today, urban sprawl.

47: Drayton Hall was a rice plantation, a military headquarters, a site for strip mining, and a country retreat. Its record stretches over three centuries of American history, and it is the only original plantation house on the Ashley River that survives today.

50: Boone Hall Plantation

55: Eight original slave cabins still exist at Boone Hall Plantation. They were built using the left over bricks made on the plantation for building the main house. | These cabins were home to the house and skilled slaves. The field slaves had wood shacks near where they worked.

57: St. Philip's Church, established in 1680, is the mother church of Anglicism in the Carolinas. The church took an active part in the Civil War. The steeple was used as a line-of-sight target during the attack. It was struck 16 times.

59: Dock Street Theatre, 1736, first building designed specifically for dramatic performances. | We decided to follow the walking tour outlined by AAA that started by the hotel.

60: Chalmers Street is the city's longest remaining cobblestone street, paved in 1760 with creek stones brought from Europe as Ships' ballast. The pink house (bottom right) served as a tavern in Colonial days. Constructed of Bermuda stone about 1712, its most interesting feature is the gambrel roof, made of clay tiles, called thigh tiles because the clay was shaped over workers' thighs.

61: Four corners of Law (Broad and Meetings Streets) | City Hall, c1800, represents Municipal Law. County Court House, previously known as the State House, c1753, represents state law. | St Michael's Episcopal Church, c1761, represents God's law. The Post Office, c1896, represents federal law.

62: R A I N B O W | R O W | Old Exchange and Provost Dungeon was completed in 1771 to manage trade activities. Many historical events took place in the Great Hall. The dungeon was created to store goods, but later used as a prison by the British.

64: Circular Congregational Church founded 1681 from the Church of England by English Congregationalists, Scottish and Irish Presbyterians and French Huguenots.

65: The graveyard is the oldest in the city - headstones date from 1690.

68: Inside St. Michael's Church | The stained glass behind the alter is of St. Michael

69: We passed many ornate iron gates, doors and hardware on the historic homes where the front doors open to the porch.

70: The last day we walked along the water front to look at the beautiful homes. Battery Park is at the end with lots of trees to provide us much needed shade. | William Roper House, built in 1838. | John Ravenel house, built in 1847 | Edmondston-Alston House, built in 1825

71: Calhoun Mansion, built in 1876 | Largest single family residence with 24,000 sq ft, 35 rooms each with a fireplace, 14' ceilings and a hand-carved 75' staircase.

72: Nathaniel Russell House built in 1808 has the most impressive feature - a free-flying mahogany staircase, which spirals up 3 floors.

73: We completed the walking tour and returned to the hotel to pack for our trip home. The front gardens have cast iron frogs to keep us company. | M A R K E T P L A C E

Sizes: mini|medium|large|behemoth
Jeanette Rucker
  • By: Jeanette R.
  • Joined: over 10 years ago
  • Published Mixbooks: 67
No contributors

About This Mixbook

  • Title: Savannah and Charleston - Aug 2011
  • Trip with Kay to Savannah Ga and Charleston SC - August 2011
  • Tags: savannah, georgia, charleston, history
  • Published: almost 8 years ago