FC: New York Public Library
1: First opened in 1911, the New York Public Library was created by bringing together a $2.4 million donation from Samuel J. Tilden with the existing Astor and Lexox Libraries in New York City. The site of the Croton Reservoir was chosen for the new library, and its landmark design was conceived by Dr. John Shaw Billings, director of the New York Public Library. When the building opened, it was the largest marble building in the United States, and was home to over 1 million books when it opened.
2: Lion statue in front of Library
3: Patience and Fortitude, the world-renowned pair of marble lions that stand proudly before the majestic Beaux-Arts building at Fifth Avenue and 42nd Street in Manhattan, have captured the imagination and affection of New Yorkers and visitors from all over the world since the Library was dedicated on May 23, 1911.
5: The Rose Main Reading Room, Stephen A. Schwarzman Building.
6: Astor Hall
7: The main building at 42nd street and 5th avenue—the site of Astor Hall—was opened in 1911.
8: Periodicals Room
9: The Periodicals room has 11,000 titles from 128 countries in 22 languages are available. Two to three years worth of issues are available before they are bound or micro-filmed.