S: French River Provincial Park 2010
FC: French River Provincial Park 2010
1: Lower French River French River Provincial Park Summer 2010
2: In this album: Tania Pilgrim Brennan Pilgrim Miley the dog Rusty the fox
3: Feeding "Rusty the fox" leftovers at the Laino camp. | August 8th, 2010 (Day 1)
4: Heading out on the French River upstream of the Flat Rapids (not as flat as the name implies). We haven't been on the water one hour and it's raining already!
5: Cooking in my "kitchen" under the canoe and lunch in the rain after a long paddle across Ox Bay.
6: Brennan & Miley drying off in the sun and making sure we're on course for the days ahead.
7: 25 km and four tired arms later we finally reach the elusive campsite no. 706 | A pooched Miley watches from the tent as Brennan gets a fire going for the evening.
8: August 9th, 2010 (Day 2) | A peaceful & foggy morning at the mouth of Crombie Bay.
10: Washing the dishes after a tasty (if a little salty) breakfast of bacon & eggs.
11: Packing up camp & loading the canoe.
12: Gliding through the fog on our way down the Western Channel.
13: Stopping to consult the map before entering the maze of the Voyageur Channel.
15: Low water conditions make for a narrow passage through the Old Voyageur Channel.
16: The aptly named "Rock Circus".
18: West Cross Channel
19: Bad River Channel
20: Coming out into Georgian Bay after shooting the Devil's Door Rapids and bypassing the Little & Big Jameson Rapids.
21: Once last stop to enjoy the view, take a quick dip in the cold waters of Georgian Bay, and check out the remnants of an old fish packing factory before attempting to reach the Bustard Islands.
22: Laying our soggy gear out to dry on the east side of the Bustard Islands. Another 25 km under our belts.
23: Surrounded by Georgian Bay at campsite no. 735 on Tanvat Island, across from the Black Rock.
25: Watching the sun set off the Bay, hoping for a calm morning .
27: August 10th, 2010 (Day 3) | Getting an early start to the day to try to beat the wind.
28: Passing the sleepy sailboats sheltered along the shores of Strawberry Island and into the less sheltered Northeast Passage on our way back to the French River and its Main Outlet. | Stopping to explore the remains of the French River Village, developed by the Ontario Lumber Company in 1875. The foundation of an old mill is still there.
30: Exploring the site of a historical lighthouse along the shores of the Main Outlet.
31: The shores of the Main & Eastern Outlets are littered with old boilers, remnants of the logging industry that had all but ceased by 1922.
33: Crossing over into the Eastern Outlet and back to Ox Bay, we found our last campsite just a short paddle downstream of the Flat Rapids. | Another 25 km and a little worse for wear.
35: August 11th, 2010 (Day 4) | A last attempt to catch some fish.
36: After choosing to portage around the Flat Rapids, a short paddle brought us back to our take-out point. | A bird's-eye-view. Center: Northeast corner of Bustard Islands. Clockwise from top left corner: Flat Rapids, railway near campsite no. 635; Ox Bay; Western Channel Outlet; same; same; second co-pilot; Bustard Islands.
38: The End