Get up to 50% Off + 10% Off! Code: MIX18 Ends: 5/21 Details

  1. Help
Get up to 50% Off + 10% Off! Code: MIX18 Ends: 5/21 Details

St. Helens 50th Reunion Part 2 (Copy)

Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.

St. Helens 50th Reunion Part 2 (Copy) - Page Text Content

FC: ST. HELENS HIGH SCHOOL | 50th Class Reunion | 1961-2011

1: Dean Ricker | I started to work at the Boise Cascade Paper Mill in May 1962. I worked there for 46 years, then retired at age 65. I got married in March 1979 to my wife, Emily. We have two daughters. My oldest daughter, April, works at Oregon Aero in Scappoose. Stephanie graduated from the Portland Art Institute as a fashion designer and has recently worked for Lucy Active Wear as an assistant designer. Since retirement, I work mainly around the house but I do enjoy photography and computers. Emily works for the St. Helens Scoool District at MsBride School. We have lived here in St. Helens since high school. | Dean Ricker | After graduation six of us guys went on a camping trip to the coast.........camping at Fort least I think that's where we has been a long time ago!! Those on the trip were Ted Baker, Doug Comstock, Larry Parmley, Leonard Gartman, Lowell Peterson and myself. | Dean and wife Emily | Doug C. | Leonard | Doug & Larry | Lowell P., Doug C. & Leonard G. | Doug C. & Larry P. | Dean R. & Ted B. | Doug, Larry, Leonard, Ted & Lowell | 1961

2: Norman (Jim) Martin | After high school I went to work for Western Electric (AT & T), U.S. West, Qwest Phone Company. I retired from there after 36 years of service. My most interesting job was as a telephone operator to CDT (Communication Data Tech). I traveled quite a bit with the companies and saw a lot of the United States. I lived in Beaverton for 22 years, Gresham for three and St. Helens for twelve, plus a beach house in Netarts for 24 years. The most interesting place I traveled was to Europe when I was in the service. I moved back to St. Helens to be close to my Aunt Lucille (Holbrook) Clammer. She is the one that helped me to further my education and to be the person I am today! My wife, Kathy, and I met on a blind date in St. Helens and were married in 1999. We have five daughters between us; Jennifer (46) a homemaker, Jessica (41) a secret shopper, Stormi (45) manager of Pacific Northwest Title, Lori (43) a legal secretary, Robyn (40) a 9-1-1 Operator. Together we have ten grandchildren, ranging from 2 to 23 years - five boys and five girls. Grandbabies are keeping us young beyond words - a true joy to us. I now volunteer for the Scappoose Senior Center and the Qwest Telephone Pioneers. For the Senior Center, I drive the bread truck for the Bread Store a couple days a week. I also like to fish and travel with family and friends. In high school I had two cars - a '46 green Chevy business coupe and a '57 yellow and white Dodge Comet. My favorite teacher was Mrs. Kelly. I used to like to drive the Gut and go to teen dances with the guys. Now I like to hang out on the river with friends and family and vacation in Mexico - Cabo and Cancun. | Jim & Kathy Martin | Lucky M, Donna E, Jim M | Christmas party at Holbrook's

3: Marshall Schilling | My wife, Ann, and I met at Judson Baptist College in 1964 and were married on June 26, 1966. She was from Canyonville, Oregon. We have been married 45 years and have two grown children, three grandkids, one dog, Rosie, and three cats. We live in the Blue Mountains of Northeastern Oregon on 11 acres fully timbered. We have had as much as 279 inches of snow per year. Our three grandkids are ages 16-13. The boys are 17 days apart which makes them quite competitive. Our granddaughter is on a dance team and travels to competitions, is in FFA, has her own herd of goats which she shows in competition and sells for breeding stock. She has her own car - a new VW convertible. The youngest grandson owns an ice cream wagon and travels around selling ice cream. He started fishing at three years old and also has three boats from which to fish. He has caught more fish than Grandpa. Middle grandson wrestles like Dad and Grandpa, is an avid bird hunter and also likes to fish. I have had two primary jobs - 20 years at UPS and Schilling Towing for 24 years. I had the privilege of towing former classmates Roger and Linda Reeves and Val Violette Goodwin. It's a small world! I retired in 2004 for 3 1/2 years, got my knees replaced in 2007, went back to work Sept. 2007 driving a Medical Courier for Interparty labs. Ann and I were privileged to be asked by our local bridge club to go cross-country starting in Anacortes, Washington and ending up in Bar Harbor, Maine. We left June 6, 2009 and returned home August 29th. We went as support and did all the cooking, food prep and buying. We traveled 4322 miles averaging 71 miles per day. Fun trip for the most part. The riders were a bunch of kids. - 57 years through 71 years old. My favorite hobby is fishing, of that my favorite is ice fishing. I am enclosing a picture of a car that, with the help from friends, I put together. It is a chopped 1947 Ford Business Coupe. It took several awards including best of show, best custom, best paint. It took ten years from start to "show" quality finish. High school was so long ago it's a blur. I didn't have a car but rode to school most days with Jerry Phillips in whichever car he had at the moment - 1956 Ford Coupe, '50 Ford or '54 Ford convertible. Had some real wild rides to school! My favorite teacher was Mr. Brumbaugh and, of course, Band was my favorite class. I wasn't what you would call a good student. My folks thought I went to high school for the social aspect and they were probably correct. Mel Sutton and I, from seventh grade on, hung out together, either at my house or his. We went every Saturday as we got older to Youth for Christ in Portland, stopped at Bonnie Burgers in NW Portland and had 22 cent burgers. I normally had $2.00 for gas, burgers, coke & fries. You could get 5 gallons of gas for a buck. The one humorous thing I remember was Mel talking me into helping clean out a chicken coup. We both had dates that night for YFC. I couldn't get the smell off my hands or out of my nose!

4: Bill Rawlings | Bill & Judye 2009 Mexican Cruise | Bill & Judye Rawlings 40th anniversary cruise October, 2010 joined by classmate Bill Loncosky and his wife, Donna | After graduating from high school on May 31, 1961 (my 18th birthday), I went to pursue a teaching degree at Oregon College of Education in Monmouth, Oregon (now known as Western Oregon State College). While attending OCE I played four years varsity baseball and two years of varsity basketball, earning 1st team all-conference and 1st team all-district honors in baseball and being voted team captain and MVP by my teammates. After grading from OCE, I did my intern teaching at Stayton (OR) Grade School. After that I spent two years teaching in Milwaukie (OR) School District and five years teaching in Gladstone (OR) School District. I finished my teaching career back in St. Helens after being hired by Jack DeLashmutt, then principal at St. Helens Jr. High, and my former 7th grade teacher at McBride Grade School. After teaching 22 years at the St. Helens Jr. High/Middle School I retired from teaching in 1995. I was hired back as an administrative assistant, in charge of discipline, at the Middle School and did that for three years. After another brief retirement, I was contacted by St. Helens School District and hired as Dean of Students at St. Helens High School to finish the 1998-99 school year. | The highlight of my teaching/coaching career, besides the birth of our two daughters, was coaching the St. Helens High School Girls' Fast Pitch Softball Team to Oregon State Championships in 1986, 1990 & 1991. In 1995 I was selected by the National Federation of Interscholastic Coaches Association (NFICA) as National Softball Coach of the Year and received my award in Washington, D.C. The 1990 Oregon State Championship was especially gratifying since my daughter, Marnie, was a contributing member of that team. In 1970 while visiting my sister in Atlanta, Georgia, I met an Eastern Airlines flight attendant from Arkansas. After a brief courtship we were married in Bay, Arkansas, in October of 1970. This past October, Judye and I celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary with a Caribbean cruise. Accompanying us on the cruise was former '61 grad Bill Loncosky and his wife, Donna. In 1972 our first daughter, Marnie, was born and in 1975 our second daughter, Amanda, was born. Between them we have four grandchildren, three living in Scappoose and one living in Scottsdale, Arizona. | My wife, Judye, and I currently reside seven months of the year in Arizona and five months in St. Helens. This fall I will begin my 31st year as a high school football official (referee) working out of the Portland Football Officials Association. This hobby keeps me physically active as well as allowing me to continue to work with young athletes throughout the State of Oregon. While in Arizona we enjoy the sunshine as well as visiting the casinos in southern Nevada. In recent years we have dabbled in the ownership of thoroughbred racehorses and have had the opportunity to attend the Kentucky Derby in Louisville on four occasions and the Preakness Stakes in Baltimore one time. Since 1999 we have been involved in the ATM business in Oregon, Washington, Arizona, California and Missouri. In addition to placing ATM cash machines in businesses we also keep very busy in the summer months moving machines from one special event to another throughout Oregon and Washington. County fairs, the Brewfest of Oregon, the Bite of Portland, the Evergreen State Fair, and the Astoria Wine & Seafood Festival are just a few of the events that keep us hopping. Our daughter, Amanda, graduated from Arizona State University and works as a manager for Vanguard Financial Services in Scottsdale, Arizona. We are able to visit frequently with her, her husband Andy, and five-year-old granddaughter, Payton, during our time in Arizona. Our daughter, Marnie, husband Tim, and grandchildren Karsyn, 14, Willie, 11, and Sophia, 4, reside in Scappoose and keep life interesting during our time in Oregon.

5: Sharion (Asher) Huck | I met my husband, Robert (Bobby) Huck, now deceased, at work. We were married in December 1973 and spent 14 days in Hawaii visiting three islands. Bobby worked for General Motors. He loved the outdoors and was a great fisherman and hunter.. He also played basketball. We have season Blazer tickets from start of team. I have three children. Matthew works at Intel and is married to Janae', a teacher. They have four kids; Nathan (8) is in second grade, Noah (5) is in kindergarten, Isaac (3) and Elianna (7 months). My son Daniel is a landscaper. Daughter Gina, a lawyer, works for the government. She travels all over the world and is soon to be based in Hawaii. I am now retired but I have been a teacher, a senior caregiver, a homemaker, an assistant store manager, a 4-H leader and worked in a restaurant and at Tektronix. My most interesting jobs have been as a mom, a nature club leader, a youth pastor and attending airline school. I have lived in Kent, Washington and Cornelius, Forest Grove, Hillsboro and Tillamook, Oregon. I have visited most of the states and been to Mexico and Canada. I followed the Oregon Trail from start to finish and helped build a church in Mexico. When I was in school I drove a white Ford station wagon. My least favorite teacher was Mrs. Jensen. I liked to "hang out" at Sand Island and church youth group. Now that I'm retired I like to paint, garden, read, travel and play with my grandkids. | Daniel, Bobby, Sharion & Nathan, Gina, Jenae', Matthew | Grandkids Isaac, Noah, Nathan & Elianna | Beach trip | Russena Randolph | President of Boosters | Hay ride

6: (Leslie) Paul Clark | Paul and Jaynie Clark have been married for almost 40 years. We have two girls, both married. One is a controller for a Portland company with her masters in accounting. The other daughter is a stay-at-home mom, for now, with one child. We have one granddaughter that is 11 years old. Paul is retired from Boise Cascade after 37 years. He retired in 1997. He is the Administrator at the local Moose Lodge. He has had that job for 20 years. We still live in St. Helens (Yankton). His hobby is boats and he is currently working on restoring a 32 ft. boat. | ******************************************************************* | LeeAnne (Wilhoft) Minor | Great-grandchildren David Everett (1 1/2) & Olivia Grace (3) | After graduating high school I went to Northwest Business College in Portland. After that I began working at the phone company in Portland. I married the same year and began to have a family. I have three daughters, nine grandchildren and three great-grandkids. That is how I spent the main part of my life - raising my family. I remarried in 1971 and moved to Southern California where I spent the next 26 years. In California I had various jobs including working for the County of San Bernardino for the Juvenile Probation Department, bar tending and retail work. | In about 1996 I moved back to St. Helens to be near my parents who were getting along in years. I have really enjoyed living near them again. I lost my father about six years ago and my mother just recently. I have also lost two grandsons. But, all in all, it's been a fruitful and happy life. I am now, of course, retired and don't do much of anything! I love to play games on Facebook, read and put together jigsaw puzzles. I also spend time outdoors working in my flower beds and fishing with my daughter, Brenda. | ******************************************************************

7: Lowell Peterson | It was an honor to be a part of the class of 1961. We were an outstanding group of students and a special group of people. Out of my many great memories of high school, my involvement in music means the most. Band teacher, Mr. Brumbaugh, and choir teacher, Mrs. Paulson, were a big influence on my interest and ability in music. I was in Band, Pep Band, Dixieland Band, Dance Band, Choir,the lead role in the choir's operetta, "Down in the Valley", and had the honor of directing our class as seniors in the Carol Contest where we won first prize. | After high school I worked at several short-term jobs until I was hired at Dean's Market in 1963 and worked at the grocery store until June, 1965. During this same time I was a volunteer firefighter for the St. Helens Fire District. In 1963 I got my first car, a 1953 Chevrolet Bel-air. | In July 1965 I was hired as a full-time firefighter at West Slope Fire District near Beaverton and spent seven years in the fire department. In 1967 I joined the Air National Guard to avoid the draft and reached the rank of Staff Sargeant before my discharge. In September of 1969 I married the lovely lady that is still my wife, Margaret Jacob, a graduate of Roosevelt High in Portland. From 1972 to 2001 I was a route salesman in the grocery business for several companies, retiring from Franz Bakery. Since 2001 I have been a school bus driver for North Clackamas School District. My wife and I have been blessed with four great children: Adam (40), twins Aaron and Darren (37) and Melanie (34). We also have ten grandchildren. We are very proud of all of them. We still live in the same house in Milwaukie where we raised our children. I have been involved in gospel music most of my life, including being a member of the music group, "The Challengers". The group performed all over the Northwest in the 70's and 80's in churches and other venues. We made several recordings that we sold where we performed. I'm still doing gospel concerts as a soloist whenever I get the opportunity. I have been blessed with a good, happy, healthy life. I have my roots of faith, family and education in St. Helens to thank for that. | Our Four Children 2000 | The Gospel music group I was in for years | The Peterson Family 1985

8: Bonnie (Hegele) Gamet | After graduation from high school I went to Los Angeles to Airline School to be a stewardess. In order to pay the bills, I took a job in a bank. Instead of becoming a stewardess, I began a long career in the banking industry. I retired from US Bank in St. Helens in 2005 after 39 years in banking. I am currently on the Board of Directors as Treasurer at Spring Meadows Assisted Living and Columbia Hills Retirement Center. I am also President of the Board of Directors of Riverside Training. While in California I met my future husband, Ron Gamet, a Marine, whom I married in 1962. (We were divorced in 1975). We had three children - Tim, Ronnie and Michelle. My oldest, Tim, passed away in 1993 following a heart/lung transplant at Stanford University. Ronnie and Michelle both live in the St. Helens area. Michelle has two children, Garrett (8) and Mia (5), whom I babysit three days a week. Now that I'm retired I spend the rest of my time involved in car club activities, traveling and just enjoying life with my significant other, Mike Varney. I own a 1956 Ford T-Bird and a 1959 Ford T-Bird. | 2002 St. Helens Community Parade Nancy Federici - Grand Marshall My '56 T-Bird | Candy Stripers

9: Brian Hembling | My dream after high school was to be a star! Right after graduation I went to Portland State (while working at KOHI) and majored in Speech and Drama. I appeared (small parts) in many productions at PSU and found I was a little fish in a big pond but still enjoyed it. I joined the Air Force during the Vietnam era...Journalism and Broadcasting specialty. I met my wife, Pat, at Hamilton Air Force Base in Marin County I got my orders, got married, and she went with me to Crete (off Greece in the Mediterranean). Iraklion Air Station was a listening post for Russian ships in the Aegean, and as part of Armed Forces Radio and Television Service, we had the only TV station for the entire island. I anchored the news for the first U.S. lunar landing (no moon that night) and when I got home, downtown, the neighbors had gathered and were upset, demanding to know what we had done with the moon. After the service, I came back to St. Helens and KOHI while completing my degree (General Studies) on the GI bill at PSU. I went job hunting at most radio stations on I-5 from Olympia, Washington to California's Bay Area. I went to work at KWSD Mt. Shasta, CA, on another "thousand watt daytimer" like KOHI. I was finally a "star", in that little pocket of the world. After 15 years there, and with two children, had to make enough money to help with their college, so I changed to Insurance for ten years. I had a V-Tach and became totally and permanently disabled. We still live in the Historic Railroad Town of Dunsmuir, California where the kids grew up in a virtual melting pot. | A couple of surprising things that I have done during the past 50 years are, first of all, graduating from college. My counselor, Mrs. Larson, said I should consider looking for a job instead because my IQ was low. The other thing I did was to tour Greece. My favorite memories from high school were my first love, Sue Merrill, and football fumble practice in the mud. Val Humble was my best friend, a real gem. I always admired Billy Barbeau and regretted not getting to know him better. I was in Sea Scouts with Stan Souvenir and the Lamberson twins. I was the class geek (bright colored cords, etc.) but Linda Douglas, Russena Randolph and Iva Baer made me feel accepted. Mrs. Jensen was the most important teacher in my life because of all the encouragement she gave. The most important person in my life now is my wife Pat. She is the best thing that ever happened to me...we just clicked. She is the most organized person I have ever known. She grew up in Libya (Wheelus Air Force Base) and brought a world view to me, which really helped in Crete. Our daughter, Judith, graduated from Sonoma State and works with the Autistic. Our son, Brian Patrick (not Jr.), graduated from Oregon Tech and is a Registered Vascular Technician in Texas. We have no grandchildren. I spend my time now watching sports on TV, Masonic Lodge, Eastern Star, Scottish Rite, Shrine and memories...Pat does genealogy.

10: Lucinda (Nelson) Lacy | First and foremost, there is something that I would like to share with everyone that I have never said anything about but am very proud of about my father! He was a Golden Glove amateur boxer and was considered one of the best in the nation. A small man, only 5' 1/2", he boxed at Bantam weight class. He was managed by Clyde Quizzenberry and sponsored by the Portland Athletic Club. In 1938 he won the Pacific Northwest title, the Coast title and the Ruby Bracelet title. I have always been really proud of this and want it to be known. It is important to both my brother Steve and I. | Now onward...I did reach many of my goals plus many other levels of growing. I went to work at a cannery in Portland to earn money for college right out of high school. I attended Northwest Christian College in Eugene with vocal Music as my major. I wasn't too crazy about the school so only attended one year. From there I worked as a waitress and in an advertising company as a general worker. I then moved to Washington and worked in the food services at Boeing in Renton. It was here that I was involved in a horrific accident just three days before my 21st birthday. On the way home from work (I rode with my aunt) we were hit really hard in the side where I was sitting and knocked across two sets of dividers into the oncoming traffic. When we stopped we were again hit extremely hard by a car doing about 70 mph. My face went through the windshield. After several hours and over 300 stitches on my face (the end of my nose was cut off) I was okay. It did take 12 additional very painful operations but with the help of my doctors and my Guardian angel (yes, I did see Him) I knew that I would be fine. In 1963 I married a jerk who spent my insurance and after 2 1/2 years we divorced. I then returned to college at Mt. Hood Community College to become a teacher in PE and Health. While there I took a lot of vocal music and acting classes and was awarded a special award given to ten students in different areas; mine was acting!! I transfered to Portland State University and continued with my main objective of PE and Health, K through 12. After graduating, I decided to be a substitute teacher. In Oregon you have to have a full teaching degree to Sub and continue to keep it up just like a regular teacher but, as I have always loved school, I didn't mind that at all. I subbed the next 38 years K through 12 and all special needs classes. I have taught every class that is taught at a school and every grade. Junior High classes and the Alternative schools were my favorite jobs. I worked in St. Helens, Scappoose, Rainier and Clatskanie and loved it all. I was also on the boards of Little League three years as Vice President and soccer eight years and coached soccer four years. I loved the coaching!! I also ran for County Commissioner and lost but loved the political game. In 1969 I met a sailor, Jim Lacy, on a Rose Festival ship and we married in 1971. We just celebrated our 40th year of marriage. We have one child, a son named Nathaniel. He has now served in the Navy on submarines for 16 years. He still holds the title in the long jump at the Junior High of 19 feet!!! We have a terrific daughter-in-law but we are not going to get any grandkids but we spend a lot of vacations with the kids. Jim and I have really had a lot of fun and a good fun-filled life together. We have been to five countries, 25 of the 50 states and Guam, a U.S. territory. Hawaii is our favorite place of all. We have been there 15 times and planning to go again next year. We love going to new places, meeting people, learning about their country and how they live. Belize is a favorite if you want to swim with the sting rays; such an awesome experience!! If you really want the ultimate experience diving with the Dolphins, go to Honduras. It was fantastic and I was really lucky. They really seemed to like me and were swimming around me and letting me scratch and pet them all the time I was in the water with them while ignoring others. Got to love that!!! For our 35th wedding anniversary we took an AWESOME white water rafting trip for eight days down through the Grand Canyon on the Colorado River on a fully motorized raft FAT long with Arizona River runners!!! I think that is the best trip of all. There were 25 people from all over the USA, ages 15 to 72 and a crew of six, gourmet meals and we ALL MESHED WELL TOGETHER!! I have also taken a lot of other classes; scuba diving, snorkeling, belly dancing, whitewater rafting, kayaking, fly tying and fish pole making. We also enjoy fishing, clam digging, zip lining, parasailing, rock hounding and collecting seashells from all over the world. I have also been learning about my geneology and have found that we are related as a cousin to Queen Victoria (Mom's side), Abraham Lincoln (Dad's side), Mary Todd Lincoln (Mom's side). My great-uncle Orville from Nebraska started the Mayo Clinic and The Bank of Omaha. My great-grandfather was one of the settlers of Jamestown, VA who started this country and the Jamestown history gave us the confirmation when we were there visiting our son. That was pretty neat to know. My husband finally retired last year and this year we will be going to Arizona for several months to get away from the terrible winters here and our nephew will housesit. We have lived in the same house for the past 35 years and this pretty much sums up what has happened to me since graduation 50 years ago.

11: Halibut fishing | Jim & Lucinda with Nathaniel | Jim & Lucinda | Sailor Sadie | Nathaniel & wife Carolyn | The Submarine Ball | Deobalo & Irish

12: Wayne Herendeen | I would like to thank all those who are helping to put this reunion together. I think it's wonderful. I know it is a tremendous undertaking and great sacrifice of your time and effort. From what your email says, I know it will be a big success. Unfortunately, I'm really sorry to say that I will not be able to attend at that time. I will be in Scappoose and St. Helens the Fourth of July week and will be seeing many of my friends at that time. As for my life the past 50 years, not much of anything exciting. I went to work at the paper mill the day after graduation. After seven years I moved into maintenance. I served an apprenticeship of 3.5 years and became a journeyman millwright in 1972. The last ten years of work I was senior millwright of 44 millwrights and a lead-man. I retired early at the age of 61 because I had to have both knees replaced after working 42 years, 2 months and 25 days, but who's counting! I drove school buses in St. Helens for 1.5 years and dump truck for a construction company in Utah, also a coach line bus out of Salt Lake City, for a short time. | My work, my family and my church have occupied most of my time. I was married to my first wife for nine years and we had two children, Glenn and Tammie. I got custody of them. I was married to my second wife six years and had one boy, Wayne. I married my third (and last) wife, Deborah, and we have been married for 31 years. We were married in the LDS Salt Lake Temple in Salt Lake City, Utah on April 19, 1980. She had two children, Christine and Aaron, from a previous marriage. Together, we have three boys, Adam, Joseph and Benjamin plus one daughter, Rachel. Hers, mine and ours total nine children from 46 years old down to 20 years old. We have 20 grandchildren and one in the oven. I built a home in Columbia City, moved to Chapman, built a home in Warren and finally ended up in Draper, Utah, a town of 36,000 about 23 miles south of Salt Lake City. I have served in various callings for years in the LDS Church (Morman), also three times as a counselor in Bishoprics and on the High Council. Deborah works at the University of Utah hospital in Salt Lake City in the Neurology and Neurosurgery Clinic. Glenn is assistant to the head engineer in the Seattle, Washington LDS Temple. Wayne owns a dance studio in Portland for ballroom dancing and fitness. Christine is a registered nurse in Portland. Adam, Joseph and Benjamin are college students in Utah and Rachel is a Cosmetologist with our newest 6-week-old granddaughter. Glenn, Wayne, Adam, Joseph and Benjamin all served a two-year mission for the LDS Church and Adam, Joseph and Benjamin are all Eagle Scouts. That is a brief history of the past 50 years of my life and, like me, I'm sure everyone can't believe how fast time has gone. I am in good health and enjoy riding my motorcycle (1520 cc Valkyrie). I love my family and enjoy life. Now, if you have read down this far, all I can say is, enjoy the next 50 years, smile, laugh and enjoy your family, grandchildren and friends. Be kind, caring and loving and people will wonder what you are up to. Good-bye for now all you 1961 classmates. Wayne

13: Ellen (Dollar) Emerson | Ellen & Jim Emerson | After graduating from St. Helens High School, I worked at various jobs around St. Helens. I also worked as a nurse's aide at St. Vincent's Hospital in Portland for several years. I then left St. Helens to attend Philadelphia Bible College in Seattle. After a year of college I worked in several jobs before going to work at Ballard Community Hospital in Seattle. While visiting my sister in Corvallis, Oregon, I met my future husband, Jim Emerson. Jim had just returned to college after spending three years in the Army. He had served as a lieutenant in a combat engineer battalion in Germany. We got married one year later at the St. Johns Assembly of God church in St. Johns (north Portland). Both our fathers officiated at our wedding which was very special. After Jim graduated from Oregon State University with a degree in Civil Engineering, we moved to Carson City, Nevada as Jim started work with the Federal Highway Administration. This began a series of moves as Jim was in a training program. We relocated every six months for two years. In addition to Carson City, we lived in Washington D.C., Denver and Richmond, Virginia before finally settling in Denver. While living in Denver we adopted our daughter, Tanya. She was four days old when we adopted her on Christmas Eve. What a Christmas present! After living in Denver for five years, we decided we wanted to get back to the Northwest, so Jim accepted a position for the US forest Service in Mapleton, Oregon. Our home was in Florence and Jim commuted the 15 miles to Mapleton. We adopted our son, Travis, while living in Florence. He was also just four days old when we adopted him. Troubles with spotted owls and timber sales required a move first to Salem and then to Vancouver. Problems with funding and the lack of timber sales led to a job transfer back to the Federal Highway Administration in Vancouver. | After marrying, I was content to travel and raise our two children. After the children were established in school, I worked as a nanny for three different families in Vancouver. It was fun and rewarding, but at times it was challenging. One family was with a doctor, another was with a lawyer and the third was with a private investment firm family. After the children were grown, I began writing again. I sent letters and poems to President George Bush and Laura Bush. I received thank you notes from the White House and their home in Crawford, Texas. They were both gracious and kind. I wrote many other letters and poems for special occasions to people including George Foreman, John Ashcroft, Terri Irwin (crocodile woman), fifty soldiers in Iraq, and received gracious replies. It has been very rewarding for me. After Jim retired in 2000, we were able to continue our traveling. Our daughter and family live in Arkansas so we have made several trips to see her, her husband, and two grandchildren. We have been to New York, Florida, Hawaii, Alaska and almost every state. In all, we have visited 48 of the 50 states. Our son got married in 2009 to a girl from Chicago, so we spent several weeks seeing Wisconsin and Chicago. Last year I had a stroke and two months later I fell and broke my hip. It was not a good year. It has taken a long time to regain all that I have lost. But hard work and prayer is the key. I have had to learn to walk again, talk, and dress with help. I have put many things on the back burner and praying that I will regain my mobility. It has been hard but it is not impossible, and it will take time.

14: Jeanne (Betty Jean Higgins) Holtz | After high school I studied medical technology for a year, meanwhile getting married. I had two girls before I went back to school and studied accounting. I have worked steadily as an accountant here and in Alaska, Nevada and Colorado. Along the way I had two boys. Three of those four children have produced thirteen grandchildren and seven gereat-grandchildren. I now live alone in Gresham, work part-time and read books in my spare time. | Evelyn (Sparks) Lampman | ********************************************************* | After high school I took an apprenticeship as a machinist. I worked at Premier Gear until my retirement. I have been married twice and have three kids by my first. Kim, my second wife, and I have been married 17 years and are enjoying retirement. We have spent the last two winters in the Yuma, AZ area and enjoy it a lot. We enjoy traveling in our Coach, playing cards and our good friends. I had three kids by my first marriage and now have seven grandchildren. I waited a long time to become a grandpa and it is a lot of fun. May all your travels be good. | Allen Smith | ********************************************************* | I'm just writing a short note as we have not been home much in the past five years. We also do not have any pictures with us as we live in a motorhome on the Coast. We do volunteer work for Oregon State Parks. We meet a lot of people and really enjoy the Coast. I have been married to Larry Lampman since 1974. We have eight children between us and at least 20 grandchildren and three great-grandchildren.

16: Lynne (Baseel) Greve | Following high school, I attended the University of Oregon which is where I originally met my husband, Carl (Nick) Greve, III. Nick is third generation in an 87-year old family jewelry business called Carl Greve Jewelers in Portland, Oregon. He has been involved in the jewelry business since graduating from college. We were married in 1980. He has two sons from an original marriage and is an avid golfer. I have one child, a son named Patrick from my first marriage, who is now 41 years old and is truly my very best friend! Patrick has his own Real Estate Company called "Soldera" Properties in Lake Oswego. He married a fabulous girl from San Francisco whom he met at UCSD San Diego. They have two very special children; Sydney, 11, who loves, performs and is involved in Dance and just received her Black Belt in Tai Chi. Ethan, 6, is also involved in Tai Chi, soccer, basketball and is "all boy"!!!!! They both attend Our Lady of the Lake Catholic School in Lake Oswego. | I have spent 30 years as Creative Director of Carl Greve Jewelers working with my husband. He originally asked me to open a 5,000 sq. ft. Gift Department above his existing jewelry store. So I designed, started and ran that department for 16 years. Once it closed, I continued working with him as Creative Director as well as selling, working with customers, planning Special Store Events and hosting tabletop and lifestyle presentations in the store and at various clubs in both Portland and Seattle. That has been my most interesting job, by far, but I also dearly love Interior Design which is my passion. We have lived in Portland since our marriage but have also traveled. The most interesting place was to Europe overall, but Greece was my favorite! What do I like to do in my spare time? REST!!!! (Since I work most of the time.) Actually, I love to spend any "extra" time with my family and good friends, listen to great music and spend time at the "Beach"! I also like to go Vintage, Antique and Furniture shopping since my background has always been centered around my profession as a designer and stylist. When in high school I drove a clunky two-door maroon car. My favorite teacher was Mr. Burr (along with the others, of course) and my favorite class was Art. I used to hang out at the Dari Delish but now I prefer any great restaurant visiting with good friends. | Nick and Lynne Greve

17: Nick, Sydney & Ethan pick lemons after a day of golf | My son Patrick, wife Kelly and grandchildren Sydney (10) & Ethan (5) | A casual business dinner in Mexico | Golfing in Palm Springs | Ethan and I take a swim | Halloween at our home in Portland | Granddaughter Sydney and I | Sydney & Ethan Halloween 2009

18: Steve Nelson | I live off Tide Creek Road in Goble, Oregon on 32 acres with my wife Edna of 48 years. We have two boys and four grandchildren - a set of triplets (a boy and a two girls) and a girl. My first job was at Boise Cascade paper mill for 12 years. Then I attended Portland State majoring in Machinist taking 21 hours each term and graduating with a 3.8 GPA. After that I worked at the Columbia City sawmill for seven years and after being rear-ended twice and getting pretty messed up, I ended up having to retrain for another type of work. I went to ITT and finished a three year course in two years in Electronics doing 21 hours a term and ended up with a 3.07 GPA. However, the accidents got the better of me and I was put on medical retirement. As for recreation right out of high school, I took scuba diving lessons and helped form a scuba club called the Oregon Argonauts with about 30 members from St. Helens, Scappoose and Portland. While in the club I held the award for the largest fish taken by spear gun and was voted diver of the year by the total membership of the club. I also took by hand a left octopus and was it tasty!! While a member of the club I served as president for four years and also vice-president. I was also part of the Oregon Council of Diving and treasurer of that club. After the diving club broke up, I got into raising show horses, Appaloosa by breed, and won many awards in the horse show ring. I helped start the Fire Mountain Appaloosa Club and served on the show horse board as the Show Chairman. After I could not show horses anymore, I got into rock hounding...big time! I became a member of the Mt. Hood Rock Club and I served two years as president and two years as vice-president. I have been, and am currently, on the Board of Directors and on the Regional and Mineral Society for the last eight years. I teach Lapidary (rock cutting for jewelry) Skills I which include studying and cutting for use for their best advantage through OMSI. I am also one of the instructors teaching kids and adults how to cut and polish rocks. In Portland I teach lapidary skills and how to choose the best rocks for polishing and faceting. I do demonstrations in both Oregon and Washington. As for the other things I do...I fish, hunt and go clam digging. I've been to Sitka, Alaska visiting my wife's sister. This past year we went on a cruise through the inside passage of Alaska with my sister and her husband and ten of my other cousins. That was great...good for the severe heart attack I had early in the year. Sure makes you realize how easily you can leave this old world and you better make the most of the time you have here!!! I also learned that Willy Nelson is my cousin and was born in Goble. He got his start singing at the Goble Tavern!! | Triplets!!

19: Rockhounding with the grandkids | MY FAMILY | Steve and Edna & Sons Donald & Delbert | Halibut fishing | Steve & Edna Wedding | Son Delbert

20: I grew up in, what now seems like the olden days, going to a two-room school called Batchelor Flat Grade School. We all had fun times there. Most of us lived around the area of the school on small farms. My mother would even walk over to the school and coach the girls' sports. Going to the big city to St. Helens High School was a real change. I loved playing sports in high school and didn't think anything about walking home from football practice which was three or four miles. We had a great team. Our track team was also great and we had some great victories. After high school I went on a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (known as the Morman Church). I served for two years in the Washington, D.C. area, West Virginia and Pennsylvania. In January 1964 I married Verla Powell from the class of 1962. We were blessed to have seven children and now also have 33 grandchildren I was able to go to college at Brigham Young University where I received my Bachelor and also my Masters degree. We moved to Nampa, Idaho in 1969 where I got my first job out of college working at the Idaho State School and Hospital. In the year of 1979 I became the owner and operator of a Shelter Home for Developmentally Disabled. I have continued in that field and am still working, looking toward a time to turn the homes over to one of our children. I look back with good memories of great classmates at St. Helens High School. | Ron Woolstenhulme

21: David Julum | Next year will mark 50 years of marriage for Jan and I. We have four children and eight grandchildren. One is a Rhodes scholar, masters at Oxford, Lieutenant Colonel who taught at West Point. A second child is a mid level manager at Hewlitt-Packard who manages people in several countries. Another child is handicapped and lives at home with us. The last child is currently doing well on her own. My wife Jan graduated, with honors, from college as an R.N. She went on to work as an RNICU/CCU. Jan and I have traveled some. Paris and Germany were among the high points, so have to say God has blessed us in many ways. Say hello to all of our classmates as other obligations will keep us from attending. | ********************************************************** | ********************************************************** | Ardy (Ardelia Jensen) Daniels | As many of you know, I married Marvin Daniels of St. Helens shortly after graduation. We have two daughters, eight grandchildren and six great-grandchildren. Our lives were together in marriage for 43 years. In 2004, Marv passed away with prostrate cancer. I then moved to LaPine, Oregon. I am active in church, Gideons, community choir and am an active quilter. In the future I plan to move back over the mountains, possibly to Dallas, Oregon. When our children were still at home, we did a lot of camping, mushroom picking and clam digging. During those years we lived in Idaho, Arizona and then moved back to Oregon. I spent much of my time working at JC Penney's. Then I transitioned to HP in Corvallis. I retired from HP in 1999 and have worked harder since being retired We also had the opportunity to build a house project in Mexico. | Bill Pitts | I met my first wife at OCE my junior year. We had two kids, John and Wayne, and moved to Columbia City while I was Head Teacher at Deer Island. But I wanted to coach so I went to the Junior High School and coached football, wrestling and track. After seven years of marriage I got divorced. She took the kids to Salem where she lived. After a few years she gave them back to me. I still have them today and two grandsons. No great-grandchildren yet. I miss being around kids. While I was teaching I got a real estate license and sold real estate for many years. I bought old houses and rebuilt them. I got up to where I had ten rental houses. Then my second wife, Linda Cave, divorced me after seven years and devoured me financially and I lost all of my houses. I bought a nursery in Hillsboro and ran a landscape business for many years. I had five greenhouses and landscaped a few hundred houses. I also did some commercial like the Best Western in St. Helens and the city park in Sherwood. I still like yard work and to raise a garden. I'm a big sports fan and follow recruiting, especially Oregon football and track.

22: Claudia Noldge | Since the first half of my adult life was primarily spent raising my children, (rewarding but not very interesting to anyone but me), and working, I thought I would start my tale at the second half. In my forties, I turned around to find no one was dependent on me. Granted, this was freeing, but now what? Continue with my job or do something completely different? After 17 years with the same company where I climbed the corporate ladder to become the controller and a member of the Board of Directors, I decided 'life is too short for a full time job'. So, I left my career and started graduate school to become a teacher. Boy, was I naive! Don't get me wrong. Becoming a teacher was the second best thing I ever did for myself. I loved being in the classroom and working with the kids. Developing curriculum for the Sate of Oregon was rewarding but time spent working far exceeded a 'full time job'. Thank goodness for those breaks. I took ski lessons, did some traveling in the States and Canada and almost completed my goal of rafting all the rivers in Oregon (yet to do the Owyhee). Traveling for me is stimulating adventure. I have been fortunate to spend two weeks paddling the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon, visited China, toured Tibet, chaperoned middle school students to Japan, helped build a school in the mountains of Honduras (stopping in Roatan on the way home), and experienced Peru after working with children victimized by a devastating flood. Last fall I had a wonderful time getting to know Paris. This fall the adventure is London. Now for the BEST thing I ever did for myself. Three years ago I retired and moved to the Gorge. Three months later my granddaughter was born. I am fortunate to be a participant in her life. Watching her grow and change and learn is a real blessing. I also belong to two quilt groups, am an avid reader, do yoga, a little gardening, a little hiking, a little kayaking and swim with the local US Masters team. Two years ago I was, by no means, a swimmer and now I compete in events. It is never too late to start something new. | Moving to the Gorge changed my life. I am happy, healthy and content. I have two supportive and caring children, three adoring grandchildren and many friends. | Helping build a school in a mountain village in Honduras 2005 | My blind Charlie dog (who taught me the true meaning of trust) & I walking on the beach at Haystack Rock. Charlie died last year at the age of 16 after devoting the last 10 years of his life to me. | A deaf Honduran woman trying to teach me her method of embroidery 2005 | A very special young school girl living in the "tent village" after her home was destroyed by flood - 2010 | My friend Pat and I at Fortaleza de Sacsayhuaman, more commonly known as Sassy Woman, near Cusco, Peru - 2010

23: Kris (Winkler) Funk | Wayne & Kris Funk | Following graduation I enrolled at Portland State University. After three months my uncle invited me to go back to the Mediterranean to travel with him on his yacht. I stayed six months - traveling through most of the European countries. I returned to St. Helens in October of 1962 and went to work for Crown Zellerbach in their payroll office. After sixteen months I transfered to a secretarial position at West Linn, Oregon. In 1973 I married Wayne Funk and we were transfered to to CZ Mill in Eureka, California. After seven years Wayne took a job in Sitka, Alaska. I managed the Sitka Chamber of Commerce for about ten years. We traveled extensively throughout Alaska because of our involvement in Rotary and the Chamber. In January of 1990 we both retired. Wayne took a job that took us to Kentucky for nine months. We then retired full time, traveling the United States for the next six months looking for the ideal place to live. | We ended up in Wenatchee, Washington and built a home in East Wenatchee. We traveled to Florida for ten years during the winter months but finally decided to buy a home in Mesa, Arizona. We now spend six months at each home. One of my special memories is riding a bicycle built-for-two with Roger Reeves all graduation day. That night I could hardly sit on the hard chairs. Wayne has two sons and a daughter and four grandchildren. Three are in college and one graduated from USC. We spent many hours flying in our small plane from Eureka to Scappoose to visit family. When we moved to Alaska we sold the plane and bought a boat which allowed us to enjoy many hours watching whales, fishing, hunting and bear watching. I was diagnosed with MS in California when I was thirty years old. In spite of this condition, I have enjoyed a very full life. I broke my leg in 2008 and have been confined to a wheel chair ever since. Other than breaking my toe, wrist, hip, leg and being a breast cancer survivor, my fifty years since graduation have been great.

24: Leonard Gartman | My dreams after high school were to become an Electronics Technician working in the radio and television industry. I went to Multnomah Electronics School for two years following high school. In February 1964 I married my high school sweetheart, Joyce Clark. We have been married 47 years. We have five children: Shannon, Stephen, Michael, Sally and Matthew. We also have ten grandchildren: Kevin, Andrew, Sarah, Megan, Joy, Jonathan, Jean, Micah, Joshua and Merrick. | In February 1966 I was drafted into the U.S. Army and sent to Vietnam for a year. In February 1968 I was back to civilian life and the next month we opened our own business, Columbia Audio Specialties (still going!). We have lived at 34839 Sykes Road in St. Helens since 1965. My favorite pastime is spending time with my children and grandchildren who are the most important people in my life. | Leonard & Joyce | Columbia Audio Specialties 43 years and still going!

25: Janice (Lapp) Oliva | After graduation my love of history led me to the University of Oregon and Portland State University where I received a BA in History and did graduate work. I taught English and history in Vancouver, WA public schools for a number of years, primarily in a junior high school setting. My interest in history has fed a love of travel, and Steve, my husband of 47 years, and I have been fortunate to travel to many countries. We have also hosted numerous foreign visitors through the years. | A life-long passion for education and literacy, which I attribute in part to my after-school job at the St. Helens Public Library, has contributed to my advocacy for children's reading programs, for public libraries and for a new Early Childhood Learning Center at Clark Community College. My involvement with numerous nonprofit organizations and foundations has brought me great joy and satisfaction, especially the founding of the Vancouver Women's Foundation which provides financial support for women in crisis. My family is a source of great pride to me. Steve and I met in June of 1962 when he was interning as a pharmacist at Semling's Drugstore. His first job after graduating from Oregon State was in Vancouver, WA and that is where we have lived since 1963. We are actively involved in ownership of the Hi-School Pharmacy stores and in commercial real estate development. Our daughter, Lisa Trisler, and our son, Josh Oliva, are involved in the family business. Our son Matt is an ophthalmologist. All three children are married and we have three grandchildren, all of whom, of course, are extremely good looking and highly intelligent! Present activities include staying involved in various community endeavors and business ventures, hiking in the Columbia River Gorge, spending time in Hawaii, reading the piles of books I have accumulated, traveling to many places still on my "bucket" list and enjoying friends and family. I have learned through the years that I have very little talent and few specific skills or expertise so I've made do with enthusiasm and endurance and have discovered that this adventure called life which began in St. Helens in 1943 has been quite wonderful. | Jan today | Jan and Steve Oliva

26: Darlene (Bernhardt) Eckert | In 1961 after graduation, I did what many from graduating classes do each summer, I got a job working in the big city at Montgomery Ward. I met my future husband there that summer. Gary Eckert was/is the funniest, wildest, craziest guy that I had ever met. It didn't take long to realize that we wanted to spend the rest of our lives together. We were married six months later. We have two children, Terri Lynne, 47, and Troy Edward, 37, two grandsons, Chase and Cody Hendrickson, and a granddaughter, Victoria. Gary and I will celebrate 50 years of marriage in January 2012. We love to travel and have covered many places in the U.S. It is interesting to hear our adult children bragging to their spouses where we took them as children. One "road trip" in 1977 took us through 26 states in 26 days. On the East coast we traveled through four states in one day yet we stayed ten days in Florida. That was our first visit to Disney World when it was only the Magic Kingdom, the same as the one in California. Other highlights of the 1977 trip included visiting my mom's relatives in Oklahoma, New Orleans just after the Mardi Gras, a glass-bottomed boat ride in the Florida Keys, Washington, D.C. and friends in Michigan. | Memorable experiences have often happened when we were on trips. On the last day of our first Alaskan cruise, I awoke early and turned on the TV about 5:30 am. I was watching what I thought was a movie. What I was actually watching was live news. I saw a second plane hit the second tower of the World Trade Center in New York City. That was September 11, 2001. Another event in our lives happened in February 2005. Gary retired in December 2004 after working 40 years for the U.S. Postal Service. A special 10-day trip to the Cook Islands delivered something that we had never experienced before. Upon arrival we were told that a cyclone was approaching Rarotonga, the island on which we were staying. A cyclone is another word for typhoon or hurricane. Winds and rain hit abundantly, but the northern part of the island took the main force of the storm. Since that is where the main town on the island is located, we were spared the worst. We enjoyed eight wonderful days riding a bus to many beautiful spots around the 17-miles of paved roadway. When we didn't ride the bus, we rented a motorcycle to investigate every nook and cranny on the island. That was interesting because they drive on the other side of the road. The day before we were due to fly home, another cyclone hit, this time the eastern side of the island (we were on the western side). No planes would land at night which was our schedule. Instead, one landed in daylight on the way to New Zealand. Since it was nearly full, they took about 20 people off the island. We were not among the lucky ones. Before they could get us off the island, another cyclone hit Rarotonga, this time the western side of the island where we were located. I was beginning to think that we were going to be marooned there forever. After three days past our departure date, they finally landed a plane to take us to New Zealand. We got to touch down a couple of hours in Auckland, NZ, before heading back to the U.S. We crossed the International Dateline twice, so we flew into tomorrow, then back into yesterday in less than six hours. After we arrived in L.A., it took nearly eight hours to get a flight back to Portland since Alaska Air does not have that many flights on the weekend. In hours, we spent about 18 hours in the air, but with waiting in the terminals, it took nearly 36 hours to get home. It was grueling. We have had little interest in returning. In 2008 we took a trip to Europe. We were encouraged to get a Eurorail Pass and go on our own, especially since my husband loves trains. We got Rick Steves' books and made reservations. We flew on Lufthansa Airlines to Frankfurt, Germany. Getting off the plane was a shock. Every sign was in German and I had forgotten everything that I had learned in German I class. Luckily my husband looked for the "i" for information. He found an English-speaking person to give us directions. This was the practice from here on, always find the "i" to get directions. My husband is one of those rare guys who asks for directions. We spent four days in Paris climbing the Eiffel Tower, visiting the Louvre and Notre Dame. From there we made a one-night stop in Switzerland. In Italy we made stops in Milan, Florence, Rome, Sorrento and Venice (my favorite). We spent one night in Austria, then back to Germany. From Munich we went to see the storybook castle Neuschwanstein in Bavaria. On the day-trip back to Munich, we rode the train with a bunch of school kids of various ages (mostly teens). I was writing in my journal, so when Gary said, "I think we are getting near our stop". I looked up and saw the sign for Munich. I said, "This is our stop." Gary said, "No, it isn't" . I said, "Yes, it is," and got off the train. Gary was standing inside the train when the doors went shut. I'm on the platform outside the train. My face must have registered instant shock as the school kids started laughing. Gary managed to pry the train doors open and get off (it took super human strength). He tried again and again to try to close the doors before the train could leave the station. Gary said, "I think I broke their train." We both ran to a stairwell on the platform and hid. When we heard a huge BANG, Gary knew that the conductor must have had to manually close the door. If you know anything about European trains, you know that they are very punctual. As for who was correct...we continued down the steps into the tunnel, I kept saying, "Isn't this familiar?" Gary said, "No." We walked further. "Isn't this familiar?" Gary still said, "No." After awhile, I had to admit that it wasn't familiar to me either. We went back to the platform and caught the next train to Munich. These stories are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the last 50 years. We have traveled six more times to Florida and visited Disney World every time. For retirement, which happened this year, I wanted to see a NASCAR race and watch the Space Shuttle take off. We traveled to Birmingham, Alabama, to see the NASCAR race at Talladega Super Speedway. We know that the Space Shuttle was delayed from April 19 to April 29 which suited our schedule better. We were there at least six hours before the scheduled launch, but others must have camped out all night. We found a nice place to watch across the bay. When the cars started leaving, we asked what was happening. Scrubbed! Since we left to come home on May 3, we didn't get to see the shuttle take off. I watched it on TV. We have been to Hawaii seven times also. We were planning to go in April, but due to the Japanese earthquake and tsunami and possible exposure to radiation from the nuclear reactors, we decided to go the other way. That's why we went to Florida instead. My goal for the future was to apply at Disney World to be Minnie Mouse. I was disappointed to find out that I was too tall. You may see the photo with Mickey. My email address is Have a wonderful next 50 years. See you then if not before.

27: 2009 | 2005 | 1961 | 2010 | 1995 | 1992

28: ST HELENS HIGH SCHOOL | Class Reunion | 50th | 1961-2011

29: Ted Baker | I dreamed of going off to college, becoming a pastor and marrying the girl of my dreams. After a great week of camping on the Oregon coast with my friends, Leonard, Lowell, Larry, Dean, and (Oops, my memory just went blank!), I went to work trying to earn enough money during the summer to pay for my first semester at Bible college. I worked as a pilot on a dairy (you know, a pilot...pile it here, pile it there!) with the business end of a shovel and a fork. Also, my neighbor needed help with haying and I contracted (with Grandpa's permission to use our tractor, mower and side-delivery rake). By the end of the summer, I only lacked about a hundred dollars for the first part of school. | The next part was not as easy and I ended up squeezing three years of college into ten years! I had health issues which required major surgery. I also met my wife-to-be (Sharon Davis) at Multnomah. We were married following her graduation in 1964. Sharon and I have been married 47 years. Having dropped out of school I worked for a while in a service station and ended up buying the business from my boss. I learned a lot and ended up going broke. Finally, I went back to college to finish up. I had a full-time job as a mechanic in a Chevrolet garage, was going to school, was pastoring a little community church where I grew up (Canaan Community Church) and was the father of our first child, a little girl. In 1972 we moved to the Spokane, Washington area where I was the pastor of a small church. Because of finances, I worked in the service station industry while I was a pastor. I spent the next several years in corporate retail as an operations manager. To finish off my retail career, I had the privilege of being the manager of a large thrift store for Northwest Christian Schools in Spokane. I retired from regular work a few years ago and am now a volunteer chaplain at three convalescent care centers and a truck stop, along with being very active in our church. At SHSHS Esther Kelly (freshman and sophomore English) was probably the greatest positive influence in my like. Even after I graduated, she kept in contact with me and encouraged me to work to achieve my dreams. I never imagined I would live to have eight grandchildren or to have the privilege of traveling with my wife to China to teach English. Life is wonderful, even with all the challenges. We don't have a lot, but we have each other. God is good!

30: Carol Anne (Burnett) Redfield | I met my husband, Jerry Redfield, when we were attending a parenting class in Pendleton. I was working in Juvenile detentiion with teenagers and had a house full of children, including teens, at home. After most of the kids left home Jerry and I were single parents each with a son at home and we spent lots of time doing things together with the boys. We got married in 1991 and moved to our current home on five acres about 7 miles outside Pendleton. Between us we have 11 children (including step-children). We are expecting our 24th grandchild in September and also our seventh great-grandchild. Since graduation I have worked in Eureka and Arcata, California and Mesa, Arizona. I have been in Pendleton for the last 40 years. When I first moved to Pendleton I worked in the family drive-restaurant. I also worked in a lumber mill and at the State hospital with the developmentally disabled. I have been a Mary Kay consultant for nearly 30 years. The most interesting job I have had was working at the Pendleton Public Library where I was the technical services librarian for 20 years before retiring and doing some other jobs like mystery shopping for 3 1/2 years and some in-home care. Then I went back to work at the library where it is possible to be continually educated while answering the most bizarre reference questions you can imagine. I have recently re-retired from the library. I've done lots of sewing for my family and friends including making dresses for the weddings of my children. I don't enjoy sewing anymore. I do love to garden but I also love the deer that visit our place and they love my garden too. During the summer Jerry and I enjoy visiting places in Washington, Oregon and Idaho on our Harley and watching our grandchildren play ball.

31: Phil Lamberson | 1961-1965 OSU, BS General Science 1965-1970 US Navy, Commissioned Line Officer 1970 Visited New Zealand and Australia 1970-1974 MS Biological Oceanography, University of Hawaii. Met my future wife, Janet Olmon. 1974-1974 Resident Manager, Pacific Marine Environmental Laboratory, Enewetak, Marshall Islands, 1975 Jan and I got married in Ponape, Caroline Islands 1979-1984 Various positions, Hatfield Marine Science Center, Newport, Oregon Changes careers. Began doing land surveying, from which I retired in 2009. We have two daughters, Karin and Julie. Karen lives in Alsea and teaches Montessori in Corvallis. Julie lives in France and is part of Association ARDHEIA. We have visited her three times in France. Nice! My hobbies: bicycling, gardening, collecting wild mushrooms, home brewing, jazz festivals No grandkids. (I borrow some of Al's). | Lowell Dean Truedson | My dreams after high school were to go to California and work in electronics. I actually worked several part-time jobs including county, TV shop and at a cattle ranch. Most of the time since graduation I worked for the Oregon Department of Transportation as an engineering aide, engineering tech and at computer drafting. I was in the U.S. Navy and traveled across the United States, Pacific and China Sea (24 years). I went to school at Lakehurst N.A.S.. NV, saw New York, Broadway, Lincoln Center, and Washington, D.C. (monuments). I was stationed in Yokosuka Naval Station, Japan and a little more. My hobby now is farming. My wife, Doddie, and I raise feeder steers, chickens and ducks. I like to read about Naval History. My wife, a beautiful lady whom I met at work, likes to cook. The most important people in my life have been my parents, my brother and Bob Schiffbauer (TV). I have a lot of memories being brought up on a farm in Idaho and North Dakota. My first county fair was the Wells County Fair, North Dakota. | ******************************************************

32: Billie (Lee) Thomas | After graduation from St. Helens High School in 1961 I continued working at the Columbia County Extension Office for two years. I got married in May 1963 to Lon Thomas who had graduated from St. Helens in 1960. We lived in St. Helens and Lon worked for his dad at Thomas Food Center until 1967 when we bought the little store and gas station in Columbia City. We were there until January 1969 when we bought a beer and wine distributorship in Salem and moved there. We have two daughters, Antoinette, 47, and Julie, 44. We also have three granddaughters, McKenna, 16, Molly, 13, and Gabby, 6. They are the loves of our lives. They all live in the Portland area so are close enough to see quite often. We were also fortunate enough to have an exchange student from Mexico, Letty Rodriguez, live with us for a year in 1992. We are still in contact with her and her family and she has brought her children here to visit us. We love to travel and have been to Australia, New Zealand, Italy, Argentina, Costa Rica, England and my very favorite place, Hawaii. In the beer and wine business we were fortunate to win several trips, one being to the 1988 Olympics in Korea. That was quite an experience! We both love to golf and used to ski. However, my knees won't allow me to do that anymore. We usually spend one to three months in the California desert during the winter. In February 2003 we sold Thomas Distributing Co. and have retired. We still live in Salem and have a vacation home in Sunriver, Oregon. Our daughter, Julie, has developed a product called Boogie Wipes and has her business in Beaverton. Lon helps her out when needed. Our other daughter, Toni, works for her also. Our three granddaughters are all involved in competitive cheer and we have enjoyed following them around to all of their competitions. I can't believe it has been 50 years since graduation. We have had an exciting and fun-filled life and I look forward to adding many more adventures to our list. P.S. It has been so much fun getting reacquainted with my 1961 classmates. I feel I have a whole new set of friends. Thank you. | Billie in High School | Billie & Lon Thomas | Our Family | Lon & Billie with granddaughters in New York

33: ************************************************* | Chuck Ridenour | After graduating from St. Helens High School, I worked at Boise Cascade Paper Mill. In October 1961 I enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corps. I served on active duty until October of 1967. While still on active duty I married my first wife. In January, 1968 Amy was born. Jim came along in May of 1972. After 14 years of marriage we divorced. I am proud to say that I have seven grandchildren ranging from 23 years doen to 5 months. In April of 1968 I went to work for Attrell's Funeral Home in Newberg, Oregon. A year later I went to work for the Salem Police Department. In July 1969 I left Salem P.D. I hired on with St. Helens P.D. on August 1, 1970. I left their employment in 1979. I gained a position with the Trojan Nuclear Plant working in the security section. I remained there until September of 1993. Oops! My wife has just informed me that we have eight grandkids, not seven. On Friday, the 13th of June, 1986, I met my present wife, Judy, on a blind date arranged by one of her nieces. We were married December 17, 1988 in Longview. Judy and I love to travel. We get away as aften as possible. We have made several trips to the Washington, D.C. area. | 1976 | 1-30-43 | Valerie (Violette) Goodwin | My finest achievement 5 children 15 grandchildren 2 great-grandchildren I've worn many hats. I am Mom to five children and six foster children. I have worked in our furniture store. We sold the furniture store and car business and bought a ranch in Eastern Oregon where we raised children, cattle, sheep, horses and chickens for almost 20 years. My son and I moved to LaGrande, OR in 1994 over Spring Break where I started college for the first time. I was in a daze for some months. I earned a BS at EOU in Education and became a teacher. I am substitute teaching currently and looking forward to to next year. I am presently under Refirement. My sister and I are flying to New Brunswick, Canada in a few days for a Violette Family Reunion and an Acadian Festival and back in time for the class reunion. I am looking forward to seeing all of you.

Sizes: mini|medium|large|gargantuan
Donna Anderson
  • By: Donna A.
  • Joined: over 7 years ago
  • Published Mixbooks: 0
No contributors

About This Mixbook

  • Title: St. Helens 50th Reunion Part 2 (Copy)
  • Theme for Mixbook Scrapbookers
  • Tags: None
  • Started: almost 7 years ago
  • Updated: almost 7 years ago