Up to 50% Off! Up to 50% Everything + More! Code: JANFAVS Ends: 1/20 Details

  1. Help
Up to 50% Off! Up to 50% Everything + More! Code: JANFAVS Ends: 1/20 Details

Shot in the arm flu virus

Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.

Shot in the arm flu virus - Page Text Content

S: Shot in the Arm

FC: Shot in the Arm | By: Emily Weible and Sarah Marx

1: How it Works | The Influenza shot is made of the virus that is going around each year. However, you have to get the shot annually because the virus can change slightly each year. | The injection is effective within two weeks of administration. It is injected into the muscle and stimulates the immune system to produce an immune response, which are the antibodies, to the influenza virus in case you come in contact with it. When injected, the antibodies attack and kill the virus to prevent infection.

2: Flu Shot | The vaccine is only effective against the virus that matches the vaccine which varies from year to year. The flu season is between October to as late as May. | The vaccine is injected into muscle and stimulates the immune system to produce antibodies to that virus. There is a new injection that is injected into the skin instead of the muscle. The viruses for the vaccinations are grown in eggs. | Side effects are not common but include soreness at injection, muscle aching, fever, and feeling unwell.

3: Flu Mist | Nasal-spray flu vaccine is made with a live but weakened flu virus that is given as a nasal spray. The viruses in the spray do not cause the flue. It is approved for use in healthy people ages 2 through 49 who are not pregnant.

5: Who? | Who should get a flu shot? | People at the most risk of catching the influenza are: Pregnant women, children aged six months through four years, people 50 years of age and older, people with certain chronic medical conditions, people who live in nursing homes or other long-term care facilities, people that are morbidly obese (body mass index is 40 or greater) people who live with or care for those at high risk for flu, have chronic pulmonary (asthma), cardiovascular, renal, hepatic, neurological, hematologic, or metabolic disorders. | A special high dose vaccine was developed for people 65 and older to give a stronger immune response since older people have weakened immune responses compared to younger people.

6: Who? | People who have ever had a severe allergic reaction to eggs, people with a history of Guillain-Barre syndrome (a severe paralytic illness), and if you are sick or have a fever when you go to get your flu shot. | Also: People under 65 should not receive the high dose flu shot, people who are under 18 or over 64 should not receive the intradermal flu shot.

7: Who? | Who should get the flu vaccine? | The effectiveness of the flu shot is dependent on the match between the virus prepared and the viruses that are actually in circulation. Age and health status also determine how well the vaccine works. If vaccine is accurate enough, it can prevent influenza in 70%-90% of healthy adults under 65 years old.

8: Pros | Cons of Being Sick | There are many advantages in getting the flu vaccine. Some of these advantages are it decreases your risk of getting the infection by 70%. Also, those who still get the flu the infection is not as bad as in those people who did not receive the flu vaccine. Even though though there are some side-effects the side-effects are rare,few, and not very severe

9: Pros vs Cons | Cons | There are several disadvantages to getting the flu vaccine. These disadvantages are some doctors are now saying that if you receive the flue vaccine for 5 consecutive years the risk of getting Alzheimer's when older increases by 10%. Also, | some doctors are stating that chicken and their eggs can contain lukemia and other cancerous cells. Though the CDC says that 98% of the eggs are completely staralized what about the other 2%. And considering how many people get a yearly flu shot that 2% of people is a large number.

Sizes: mini|medium|large|ginormous
Default User
  • By: emily w.
  • Joined: over 8 years ago
  • Published Mixbooks: 1
No contributors

About This Mixbook

  • Title: Shot in the arm flu virus
  • not an actual scrap book. Project for honors biology on the flu vaccine
  • Tags: None
  • Published: over 8 years ago