Get 40-50% Off Sitewide! Code: MXMAY Ends: 5/23 Details

  1. Help
Get 40-50% Off Sitewide! Code: MXMAY Ends: 5/23 Details

The Things that Happened--- Part 2

Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.

The Things that Happened--- Part 2 - Page Text Content

S: The Things that Happened----Part 2

FC: The Things that Happened----Part 2 | by Nancy Campassi Volume 2

1: A picture perfect tour until 2 days after the tour was over! STAY TUNED!

2: September 1, 2010 Today we are off to Denali National Park. It is a beautiful day, sunny and crisp. We left the park at 10:00, stopping in Nenana for a while, where we got diesel. It is funny, but all of a sudden, the leaves are beginning to change, everything was so green on the way up to Alaska. When we arrived at the rv park, we went down the one lane road to get to our site. As we made the turn, there was a rafting bus with a trailer of rafts on the back and he was in the lane. He began screaming at us to back up, which was impossible because we had the tow car on the back of the coach. Then he got out, arms flying , he was screaming at us, then he came up and started pounding on the rv windshield! Finally, he got back in the van, put it in reverse and floored it backward without looking. He could have killed someone, so after we got to our site and set up, we went to the office and reported him. What a JERK! After that experience, we went to eat with friends, then went to the ATV place and signed up to go ATVing in the mountains. We then shopped a little, went home and went to beddy bye! Long day. September 2, 2010 Up and at em, we went to the ATV office, then took a bus to the place from where we would start. We rode little 2 seat Rhinos, 10 of us few down the trail, going through all the mud puddles we could find. We were wet and covered with mud, but oh my gosh, what fun. When we got back, we loaded up to go back to the rv park, where we got showered and ready to go to the dinner theater. Before we went in, we stopped for a drink at the Bistro. One of the waiters was so rude to one of our group, she started crying,,,, so I went and got her, then proceeded to tell off the waiter. Would you say we were having a lot of confrontations at this place?! Then into the theater, where we had salmon and ribs, then the waiters and waitresses sang and danced a story about Denali. This time, Jill was dragged up to participate, it was so funny. Then home to bed. September 3, 2010 Up early to caravan to Denali National Park, where we got on a bus and rode for 6 hours into the park. Long ride, too long, road at the top was scary. It was beautiful but tiring.

3: Denali National Park The leaves had changed so much since we arrived. The red color on the ground is Fireweed. It turns the ground into a blazing color. I collected seeds to plant at home, however, my green thumb didn't kick in!


5: It seems to me that each state has a different taste in mountains! Some are smooth and round, some are sharp, different colors, but they all have one thing in common-------beauty.

6: September 4, 2010 Today we leave for Anchorage. No one in our group thinks there is really a Mt McKinley because the whole time we have been here, we haven't seen it! And today is a drizzly day so we won't see it today either! We leave at 9:00 and stop in Wasilla to see Sarah Palin's home. Some of us wanted to call her and ask her to lunch, however, the Democrats outnumbered us! After our stop, we went to the Ididarod museum and watched a video about the race. If only I was younger, I would try it. Then on to Anchorage in the rain. We unhooked the Jeep, set up the coach, heated the chili and off to bed. September 5, 2010 Today we have our prayer service. Spike's wife and mother in law had arrived the night before so they joined us. At 9:30, we left for a caravan through the city. The Alaskan towns and cities are so different then in the lower 48. It is like going back in time, nothing modern or fancy. Just simple. We stopped at the Ulu factory, I love their knives so I bought one for me and some for gifts. Then home for lunch and then off to the processing plant. We watched some people bring in a moose for processing, these animals are huge. After the plant, we drove down to a glacier where we watched a movie about glaciers. They are amazing, the ice slowly slides down, causing huge crevices which are very deep. Some of the ice is thousands of years old. Hard to believe. Before going home, we went to a rehab place for injured animals. We were right up beside bears, moose, elk, and bison which was really neat. One bear came out of a pond and right over to the fence where I was standing. To be that close to the animals was really exciting, you could hear them breathe. We left the rehab place and went back to the rv park. Sam and I went into town and ate at the club Paris! We sat between several Russians at the bar. The food was very good, then home to bed. Our days are full and we are really tired when we get our jammies on! September 6, 2010 Today we are going to the Alaskan State Fair, stopping on the way at a Russian Orthodox cemetery,

7: where they built little houses over the graves and leave personal items of the deceased. One looked like a big, beautiful doll house, very unusual for sure. The cemetery is shared with the Indian natives in the area. The crosses on the graves have 2 crossbars, the lower one at a slant. The story is, Jesus put his feet on the lower bar and tilted it upward when he shifted his weight. Interesting. At the fair, Patty, Lynn, Sam and I walked around the grounds, saw the 1,000 lb. pumpkin and had the most wonderful pork chops on a stick. They were to die for! I have looked everywhere for the recipe but it must be an Alaskan secret. After we arrived back at the rv park, we all got together at one of the rv's, had drinks and then went to Ding How's for dinner. September 7, 2010 We got up and did some errands. Sam went with Roger, the mechanic to get a filter then we went to get groceries. That evening, we went to Dusty Sourdoughs for dinner and a show. Sam bought a John Wayne plaque that Dusty had on the wall then we went into the chocolate store. After we treated ourselves, we got back in the bus and went home. September 8, 2010 Today we go to Whittier to see the glacier. We take a train to Whittier, then get on the boat, have dinner and watch the sea lions and the otters floating by. We are surrounded by big chunks of ice that have broken off. Fun day but we are tired, so off to bed when we get home.



Sizes: mini|medium|large|super size
Nancy Campassi
  • By: Nancy C.
  • Joined: over 8 years ago
  • Published Mixbooks: 0
No contributors

About This Mixbook

  • Title: The Things that Happened--- Part 2
  • Theme for Mixbook Scrapbookers
  • Tags: None
  • Started: about 7 years ago
  • Updated: about 7 years ago